Silly Season Challenge

This topic contains 124 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Debdjd 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 125 total)

• FD today, thank goodness, sigh of relief, etc etc………. The 2nd of my 1 off b2b FDs. Yesterday’s FD was probably a 600-700 cal, so a bit over the 500, but it was a challenging day for me energy wise (I have a debilitating chronic health condition) and I’m satisfied that I did well for the day it was.

Friday will be a nonFD
    Sat a FD, New Year’s Eve
    Sunday non FD and Silly Season weigh in day.
    Monday, my personal weigh in and graphing day. Also back to my normal routine of Monday and Thursday FDs. I’m prepared to postpone Monday’s FD to Tuesday so I have 2 nonFDs before the next FD after the extra FDs as my body may not tolerate alternate day fasting, especially after the b2bs on Wed and today. I’ll see if I’m symptom free before I do Monday as a FD.

The travel scales remain broken but not as badly broken as they were 2 days ago , lol. Still up 1.5kgs on my pre Christmas weight after FD yesterdayWorking on repairing them each day by various means. Some of our family did a ‘making or regifting’ Christmas, and the children and dad made rocky road with maccas and turkish delight and good quality choc as their gifts for everyone, all packaged individually so that was another sugar dilemma for me. The grandmother in me said ‘What the heck” threw up her hands and gave in! At least if I’m gunna eat rocky road the only sort I’ll eat is the sort made by my little grandchildren and given to me with shining smiley faces full of love and joy.

Back on the horse,
    Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Well done Deb, wow, 27hr water fast, very impressive!

Lael, thanks for the entertainment! I loved reading the story of the food trail whilst secure in the knowledge that you’ve dropped two sizes since this time last year and that the clothes were on sale as an added bonus. And a weight loss while on holiday, well done! Three cheers for 5:2!

Cinque, you’ll get there, you’ve had a stressful few months. The Silly Season Challenge ends on Sunday. I love Lael’s rationale and justification of a NYE fast. I may still do it because of what she wrote. But this morning, I woke to 59.9kg so I have met my Silly Season challenge a little earlier than planned and thought I might just continue as normal now with Sun/Weds fasts.

I had a great fast yesterday. After 4 days of feasting, it was a little harder to wait until 2pm for my first feeding but I did it anyway. Friends popped in for wine and I sipped my herbal tea. One of them is going to start 5:2 when she returns home to London. Last night I slept for 9.5 hours and woke up feeling so great.

One of the reasons I may have been able to instantly shed that holiday excess could be that I had no breakfast throughout Christmas. As everyone knows, I’m a bit addicted to Carmens muesli so perhaps the absence of all that grain has helped. And I admit, it really didn’t taste all that good this morning. Merry, you’re so right, our tastes are changing just by virtue of practicing this WOL. (I have only just seen your post, I swear it wasn’t there just now. I hope you can repair those scales soon! One of my daughter’s friends made rocky road with popcorn and I tried a little, it was so good.)

FishingGran, have a great fast day today. Mindful eating from now on and you can do it.

The scales are repairing themselves day by day now! The overindulgence in type and quantity is finished, back home, and after FD yesterday 63.8kgs this morning. Still a kg over my pre Christmas weight. Non FD today and FD again tomorrow. Today will be getting back to my usual nonFD pattern of 1st meal after 12noon. It has been a definite relief to be getting back to my normal FD and nonFD pattern.

It was an interesting experience of seeing how my body felt eating from early in the morning each non FD, my FDs finishing at 4pm, so a bit of a fast but not full FDs, and eating foods I no longer normally eat at all. I think my body is much happier doing 5:2 than when it was eating 3 meals a day 7days a week. Not only my body is happier on 5:2 as a WOL but my mind is too. Whoever would have thought, when we started 5:2, that it came with it’s own surprising psychological gifts. I also read somewhere that weight put on quickly comes off quickly, and that has certainly been my experience. Looking forward to New Year’s Day weigh in now, and I might just forgive the scales for breaking, eventually.

Onwards and Downwards,
    Back on the horse,
    Merry

Thanks Thin, the last few months, and especially the abrupt change, have been hard.
    I thought the silly season wasn’t effecting me much, but in fact the social stuff, the change of routines, and the presence of all that food, certainly effected even my limited little life!

But I am nicely waking on New Year’s Eve with the feeling that I have settled back. Hoping to have a good normal eating day and a good fast tomorrow.

Merry so glad those scales are getting over their difficulties!

Fishing Gran I hope the iced water kept you going! Hooray that there are new days to let that kilo go gracefully!

Thin, congratulations! Your scales aren’t broken!
    Isn’t that interesting re your Carmen’s muesli. There is a mourning process to go through as a once-pleasure starts changing. I used to make my own muesli and I still miss it! But maybe I wouldn’t enjoy it so much if I had it again.

Off to make the most of the last day of 2016. Best wishes everyone!

Well the iced water helped will be doing another FD Monday I didn’t lose the kilo i gained but didn’t gain anymore so happy with that Happy New Year everyone.

Hi! New Year’s Eve and fasting as planned. All is going well.

Thin, well done for passing on breakfasts during Silly Season and doing so well with the scales in the aftermath. I also skipped a couple breakfasts while we were in Melbourne, so maybe that is one of the factors that helped me see the favorable results on the scales when I arrived home?

Merry, good point about the psychological benefits of 5:2. I’ve noticed that my moods are generally better since starting this WOL.

Cinque, great that you are back in synch!

Fishing Gran, all the best for your FD on Monday!

Morning Lael, that’s good that your fast went well. What a marvellous end to 2016. Did you stay up to see in the NY? How did you get on with fasting at the party, Merry? You’re a star!

I made it to 11.30pm and was snoozing when the fireworks started. OH and I went upstairs to watch. But DD was with some friends further down the river and I couldn’t sleep until she got home safely at 1.15am. She doesn’t drink but I was still worried about all the people who would be drinking and driving.

I’m starting 2017 with a fast. It’s looking a bit white – cauliflower soup at 2pm followed by parsnip and ginger soup at 5pm. 256 cals total. Almond & coconut milk 20 cals. Perhaps I’ll have a spoonful of cottage cheese before bed to keep the whole day white!

As you’ve read, I met my Silly Season goal earlier in the week. Thank you so much for joining me here because, just by saying it out loud, it made me accountable. I started this challenge at 100gms over my trigger weight, enjoyed just about everything on offer (though thankfully not in the quantities of past years) and lost over a kg to start the new year at exactly the same weight I was one year ago. This, for me, is what it’s all about – staying slim, no deprivation. Three cheers for 5:2!

I’m so grateful for this forum. How did you all get on?

A Fasty New Year to all!

Happy New Year!
    Having a nice fasty morning! Didn’t stay up til midnight and wasn’t even woken up at midnight by car horns and crackers as usual. Watched the rest of the ABC NYE show this morning (love the pub quiz) so, you see, I catch up eventually!

I’m packing away the few Christmas things I managed to put up, so that’s the silly season over!

Thanks for this thread Thin. Appreciated!

Happy New Year Thin and your disciples!
    I, too, hit the sack at 11:30 after a degustation dinner overlooking a beach and 9pm fireworks. 6 super tasty protein based, small courses and 1/2 bottle of Clare Valley riesling. ☺☺
    58.4kg this morning. Very proud of myself. I aimed to still be in the 58s and to do 2 fasts a week. I only managed 1 last week, but with mindful eating I still made it.
    Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow over the silly season, Thin.
    All the best for 2017 to all of you. P 😊😊

Happy New Year all – many thanks for your support.
    I think it is probably a good think I’m in Sydney and away from my broken scales! Even though I wasn’t great leading up to Christmas I did at least maintain my weight so that was good.
    Unfortunately the last few days and last night’s party celebrations (bed at 4.30am this morning) will have definitely tripped the scales!
    I’ve enjoyed being part of the silly season forum – thanks for organising Thin πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

My 2017 reolution is to continue with the 5:2 until I reach my goal weight (6-7kgs to go) and then do a 6:1. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

WOL TO YOU ALL πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Happy 2017 fellow Silly Season Challengers! I feel the buoyancy in the efforts of those who are starting out the New Year by fasting!! Woohoo! I did an extended New Years Eve fast by not eating today until 1 pm today.

The good news is that I was over goal weight at the start of this thread and weighing in this morning I’m now considerably under goal weight and feeling so good energetically at this weight that I’m reconsidering what ‘goal’ weight is for me. I’m actually enjoying the feeling of lightness at this new low.

That’s great to read Lael. Next you’ll be taking in those Rodney Clark pants!

Deb, good job maintaining your weight (as far as you know). You did start this at a challenging time of year so well done. Now that this challenge is over, please come and join us on the Southern Hemispherites thread if you’d like. (Choose ‘most popular’ from the menu items above and then you’ll find us three from the top.) You’ll get a lot of support there.

Thanks for joining us Purple, wow, you still have so much wriggle room. Very inspiring. 58.5kg was my lowest a year ago but I couldn’t sustain it once we left hilly Spain and Portugal. I’ll be happy to stay on the south side of 60kg. Your NYE sounded magical.

Cinque, did the rest of your day go well today?

Ha! Thin, you are so kind!

I wish… with the Rodney Clark pants! For whatever reason, I’m not shedding any centimeters from my belly at the moment! And interestingly enough, I just checked measurements from October and November when I weighed 1 kg. + more than I do now and see that back then the measurement around my belly button was 2 cm smaller than it was when I measured it at my all time low. Now, I’m going to give myself some leeway here since I don’t think measurements are always that precise. Measurements at the belly button point have a lot to do with how straight I’m standing, whether breathing in or out and how tight I pull the tape measure! However, it still points to the fact that I’m still not losing there! I am continuing to shed at the narrowest part of my waist, which is 1 cm down from October/November, so I’m happy about that!

I was happy taking the inulin and then didn’t feel like packing and taking it to Melbourne and having to incorporate that into what I ate down there. I can’t say I really gave it a proper ‘go’ to test it out because it took a couple months to slowly build up to the serving sizes required to dissolve visceral fat and I was only on that dose for a few weeks before we went away. The way it works, I can’t actually just pick up where I left off either! I have to start over and slowly build up serving sizes again and at this point I’m going to give it a rest till the weather cools.

Thin,

I didn’t quite meet the challenge… Weight at start December was 59.8. January 1st weigh in 60.5 πŸ™ However after a 23/1 and a long walk on New Year’s Day, January 2nd weight 59.7 😁

So although I didn’t quite come through the festive season unscathed, I am back in my maintenance range at the start of January. I’ll take that!!

Eek, I just had a look at one of those belly measurement charts and for my height, I’m still ‘obese’ at the point of belly, even though my BMI is down to 19.3! What do they call that? Thin on outside and fat on inside or something like that? I trust that as I continue this WOL though, that fat will continue to shift. I haven’t even been on 5:2 for a year. Early days! Of course, this chart does say ‘waist line’ not belly line, so if this chart truly relates to the narrowest part, then I’m not obese! I find these charts and which place to measure somewhat confusing!

http://missinghumanmanual.com/?p=989

Lael,

I always measure at my natural waist, where a waistband would sit. I’m a pear, and my belly button sits where my hips are expanding, at the top of my hip bones. Measured there my waist would be a good 10cm larger than my narrowest part! I’m not having anyone tell me my hips are my waist!

I guess the belly button guidance is for men, and apple-shaped ladies, so they measure in consistently the same place?

Measure the narrowest part, Lael and pull it in tight.πŸ˜πŸ˜‚ That way you will feel good πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
    After nearly 4 years on 5:2, I am very bony on most of my body, but still have a tummy. I don’t feel it is visceral fat, much more likely to be the result of 5 pregnancies and my laziness with regard to abs strengthening. πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ™„ P

Thanks Purple and Happy! I’d forgotten that my belly button is also hangs down around my hip area! I guess that can be par for a 60 year old woman! I too am pear shaped and always was! I remember some young man commenting on my wide hips and saying that they were especially well developed for child bearing!

Purple, that must feel good to be so sleek! Due to my inability to do much exercise, I know my muscle mass is far less than it used to be so I definitely don’t look thin at that low BMI and still wear size 12 pants, though can fit into a size 10 top. I am currently experimenting with doing little bits of exercise as I can and with pushing the outer limits a little of my abilities, mainly for health reasons. Also, I know that our muscles are like mini-furnaces inside our bodies that burn energy and so having a bit extra of that helps in the bigger scheme of maintaining our goal weight!

Ladies! You shock me! Especially you Purple as I’d had you down for a purist. Don’t tell me you weigh with one foot on the floor? Surely, it has to be round the belly button as you need a reference point? Inconvenient truth. I handle this dilemma by forgetting where I put the tape measure. On the other hand, Lael, I’m pleased you’ve come to accept that, at our age, we can’t be expected to have the physique of a 20 y/o (just watching DD in a bikini and realising that I never looked like that at 20). Celebrate how far you’ve come!

Happy, that sounds like a successful mission accomplished to me. Well celebrated. Is a 23/1 practiced by eating a normal meal the next evening at the same time you’d started your previous day’s meal?

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ actually I don’t measure my waist I judge by fit. If size 8 pants fit I’m OKπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰P

Hi Thin,

Well it isn’t really 23/1 as it doesn’t take me an hour to eat…! It’s just a 24 hour fast (which is what I do on 5:2 fast days too) but not necessarily strictly 500 cals. Loss doesn’t necessarily show up the next day on the scales, but it does seem to have an effect over the next few days.

And re: the belly button as a reference point… I use my narrowest part (my waist!) as my point of reference 😁

When I was so fat I didn’t have a waist, it was useful to measure around my belly button. But now I have one, that is where I measure!!!!!

https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/your-heart/know-your-risks/healthy-weight/waist-measurement

I’m relieved to be back to normal i.e. going to work, being busy and having a really good easy FD today. I tried a couple of FDs at home but they ended up sort of half hearted – too hot to be busy cleaning out cupboards/gardening etc. One big silly season mistake I made was running out of almonds – my OH is a big almond eater so I’m blaming him but I ended up having to eat my dark chocolate covered hazelnuts instead. Don’t think they did much damage thanks to a few good pre festive fasts prompted by this forum πŸ™‚ Great idea Thin

Cinque and probably this will be true if/when I meet any others of you in person… I can’t imagine or picture a Cinque without a waistline!

Back in Perth and hopefully back to a routine – today is a fast day for me so hopefully after a week of over indulging I will be able to manage it.
    The damage wasn’t awful but I unfortunately did put back on a kilo.
    Lael I have only just started using measurements and I use my belly button as a reference point – I think my tape measure is also broken!
    Purple vegie eater I used to use my clothes to measure but since a lot of those don’t fit anymore I have started using ‘broken’ scales and tape measure! I’m still aiming for my ‘goal pants’ which fitted me 4 years ago ☺
    Thanks Thin – I’ll move over to the other thread. ☺☺

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply.