Silly Season Challenge

This topic contains 124 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Debdjd 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 125 total)

• Hey Joffy,
    You’ll be down around my territory and only a very short drive away. Intesha and Fishing gran live a little further out, but OH and I will be around for a couple of those weeks if you want to do a meet up. Let me know and if so I can get JJ (the moderator) to give you my email address privately.

Hi Turn! Good to have you back on the forumπŸ™‚

Ummm…. My goal for this challenge is to keep doing 2 FDs a week right through till the end. Had a special occasion yesterday and I decided to make this a Tues Thurs FD week with 1 small meal after 6pm, and not eating till after 12 noon on nonFDs.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Oh, and, introducing myself,

Lost 21kgs in 2yrs – 8months not losing during very stressful period in the middle,but used 5:2 to maintain where I was at, during the over the top stress, so really the weight loss was 1 yr 4 months. Just beginning long term maintainence. During the 2 yrs I’ve also been overseas twice, had 2 Christmases, various usual celebrations etc. i believe 5:2 can be done for life and intend doing that. I’m healthier and happier. I’m a size 10-12 now after started at a 16. OH also sort of does 5:2 but has not applied it as much as I have. He has reduced his weight by about 7kgs, and stayed there for a long time.

It is a joyous thing to know I can go through celebrations like Christmas enjoy special foods without going stupid and without putting on weight.

Merry

πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
    Great job!

doing a FD today OH caught some nice flatties packed and frozen for Christmas dinner just in case he doesn’t catch anymore. great loss Merry i wish i had stuck with it lost 11 kilos then stopped and put it back on weighing myself more often will help. I have struggled the past few months but now i have a more positive attitude i wasn’t sleeping because of my Asthma that’s sorted and i feel great.

Hi everyone, I’m new here, hope I can join the challenge.
    This is my second week on the program and just completed my fast yesterday (500 cals).
    I feel good for sticking with the fast yesterday. It was hard, i got pretty bad hunger pangs in the after noon but just drank 2 L of water and then watched House of Cards and talked with my bf which was pretty distracting. Anyways, hope everyone has a good day!

It’s a FD for me today, and very welcome after a Christmas lunch party yesterday. I didn’t have any alcohol as I was driving and I don’t like champagne anyway, steered clear of some of the offerings but indulged in many others and thoroughly enjoyed everything. Seven others in my class are practicing 5:2 so we keep each other honest. To set a good example, I took a huge platter of rainbow salad and everyone commented on how lovely it looked and how delicious it tasted. I tried to make it interesting with ingredients like grated purple carrot against a white danish feta. Our teacher turns 90 on Christmas Day and there was a chocolate birthday cake with berry coulis which I enjoyed guilt-free because that’s what this challenge is all about for me.

Welcome Occhi and well done for sticking out the FD. You’ve already learned that hunger comes and goes in waves and that it can be distracted by keeping busy. I sometimes embrace the feeling of hunger by thinking of all the healthy things happening inside my body (autophagy). Are you hoping to lose weight over the silly season or just not gain weight?

Fishing Gran, you’re back on the wagon. Good luck with it this time around. I’m a compulsive weigher.

Turn, I was reading with interest about how well the NZ economy is running, it’s the envy of our politicians here. It’s hard to believe it’s been 8 years since John Key became PM. I hope you find a buyer soon and can move on with the next stage of your life. I feel I’m spinning wheels a bit here, waiting for our DD to complete uni. She’s just completed year 3, two to go.

Pleased you joined us Bay, Joffy and Merry. I love the idea of Merry and Joffy meeting up. Joffy’s Christmas plans sound just about perfect to me under the hot Australian sun. The only thing to worry about being keeping the sand out of the caravan.

Ouch…my tummies !

Wwwwwwwhhhhhhhyyyyyyy!??!?

HappyNow, I’m joining you at 59.8kg today after a great FD yesterday; it’s the first time I’ve been under 60kg since late October. So, I’m HappyToo! I’m trying to consider the bigger picture to get through the festivities on offer – not just daily intake but more like a weekly thing. Tonight, one of our neighbours is having after dinner ‘cake and coffee’ (oh God, really?) to see off another neighbour who’s going overseas for the hols. Salad for dinner tonight and then I’ll just have a sliver of what’s on offer tonight. At least, that’s the plan. Not the healthiest day but I’m limiting the damage. How’s everyone else coping in the lead-up?

Hello Thin
    I would love to join your challenge. I am also based in sunny Perth.
    I am new to the fasting diet, (new to dieting full stop!) and new to the forum.
    I came back from a recent overseas trip and discovered that the kilos had been piling on me and now all my summer clothes are too tight or don’t fit.
    I started the fasting diet about 2 wks ago and I’ve lost about 2 kgs – my goal is to lose another 6kgs and get to 57kgs – hopefully I’m not being too optimistic.
    This week has been a lot more difficult as we get into the festive season and there are lots of dinners and parties on.
    I am also hosting Christmas day so it will be a challenge but I’m looking forward to the support from the forum.
    Fingers crossedπŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Ps Please could someone recommend some good scales.

Yippee, a special welcome to you Debdjd! It’s been so long since we had anyone new from Perth. Two kgs in as many weeks is a splendid start! Well done.

I bought Weight Watchers’ scales from Good Guys when I started fasting, they calculate the BMI too. I’d also recommend treating yourself to a good set of kitchen scales and, if you’re keen, a set of travel scales too!

Just a heads up, in your profile, you have provided a street address – not sure if that was intentional but you might want to remove it and just give a more anonymous profile like your approx. age and what your weight loss goals are, more or less as stated in your first post above.

You might like to come and join us on the Southern Hemispherites’ forum too, you can find it in the top three under ‘most popular’ in the menu items above. It was started so that fasters in the Southern Hemisphere could chat with people in a similar time zone.

Thank you for such a warm welcome and yhank you for the head’s up on my address as I had no idea I had done that – I think I have sorted it out now.
    I’ll check out the weight watcher’s scales – thank you.

Hi all, may I join? I am an expat Aussie living in northeast U.K. – besieged by cold weather and the endless temptation of warm Christmas treats!! They are really into Christmas here – the chocolates at work started weeks ago and there are mince pies and shortbread to torment me every day… I’ve been on 5:2 since mid-October and lost 10kg so far. I’m really happy to finally be shifting my baby weight (she’s now 16 months) and now working on the pre-baby weight!! I’m currently 90kg and hoping to get down to 70 (I’m 5ft 11in) – aiming for 1 kilo per week, and I’ve done 10 in 9 so far…
    Debdjd, I am using the Fitbit Aria scales which do weight, BMI and BF%, as well as record everything for you on the FitBit website. I am compulsive. Every morning. I find it really motivating to see each little decrease…
    Wishing you all an extra serving of willpower for the holidays!

Thin,

I haven’t (yet) fasted down to have wriggle room for Xmas. At this rate I’m heading for mindfulness over the festive season. Eek!

Hi Happy, I had a relapse at my neighbour’s place the other night and I’m now nudging my trigger weight again. Idiot. Not sure why I seem to sabotage myself when I get to a weight I’m happy with.

Hi NMRN! Pleased to have you here. You’ve done very well so far – halfway to your goal already. I’m an ex-pat Brit living in Oz and it’s never seemed like Christmas here but that doesn’t stop me eating my neighbour’s mince pies.

Wow- well done on losing the 10kg NMRN!
    It is a difficult time of year to be keeping on track and I have such a sweet tooth so I am trying sooooo hard to be good and not be tempted by mince pues and shortbread. I have to admit that on my non fast days I do still allow myself small treats as otherwise I wouldn’t be able to do it.
    Thanks for the info on the scales – I ended up buying a whizz bang Beurer scale which will blue tooth to my phone. Hopefully these will help to keep me on track!
    πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Hi Everyone! I’m fasting today. I count today as one of my fasts for the holiday season even though Christmas is more than a week away.

However, today’s FD has been quite rough and I’ve almost abandoned it a couple of times. I’m struggling with fatigue, some nausea, brain fog and a few other symptoms that are familiar due to an existing health issue and I have a throat tickle that could be contributing as well. Anyway, because of these symptoms I may have to revise my holiday FD schedule of two days a week through into the New Year which would mean dropping down to one day a week. I’ve been in maintenance mode since the end of September, so it should be okay as long as I remain mindful as HappyNow suggested. In any case, I’ll check in here from time to time to update my progress.

Doing my 1st FD for this week only managed one last week too many visitors bringing treats very hard to say no to 17 year old with cake she bought for you, eat the cake and feel blessed. must do two this week happy days.

Fishing Gran, with this style of eating, you can have your cake and eat it too! If you so choose. As you progress further, you may find that you want less or none of certain things.

Debdjd, what attracted most of us to this WOL was the fact that you need never feel deprived so enjoy those small treats on non-FDs without guilt. Otherwise, it’s just any other diet.

I find the freezer a wonderful tool in that I need never feel I’m missing out yet it provides a buffer of time to contemplate whether I really want something and how much of it rather than impulse eating with regret.

I’ll be doing three fasts this week, yesterday, Wednesday and Friday. Almost ADF. Are you doing any more fasts this week Lael?

Safe trip to all who are travelling to other parts for the holidays this week.

Thanks Thinatlast – one of the reasons I decided to do the fast diet was the fact that I only had to restrict my calorie intake for 2 days a week. We tend to eat pretty well most of the time and since starting the 5:2 a few weeks ago we are following a mostly Mediterranean diet with very little meat and carbs which, I have felt a lot better on.
    I am also keen to experience the health benefits of fasting.
    Unfortunately the weekend was not so good for me as I totally overindulged in food and bubbles as I celebrated my birthday but today is a Fast day so back on the wagon. Like you I’m hoping to do 3 days this week which will give my body and guts a bit of a rest from all the rich food. Peppermint tea to start my day πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Hi Thin, Yes! I’m fasting tomorrow! I’m at home so we’ll see how I fare! I’ve felt good all day today, so here’s hoping that I’m fine tomorrow too! We fly to Melbourne the following morning (Wednesday) and my next planned FD will be Christmas Eve, can you believe! Christmas Eve isn’t really celebrated by my partner’s family who we’ll be visiting though maybe picking that day is a bit ambitious?! So I may review this decision and instead opt to fast on Friday with you Thin!

Our big celebrations are on Christmas Day. We go out to Christmas lunch, so at least I won’t have to feel I’m offending a hostess by passing on any food served! However, I will miss home made fare! There’s nothing like those delicious delicacies made with love in a home kitchen! I too would have eaten a piece of cake offered by a young baker, Fishing Gran! Yum!

Hi Everyone

Well I managed a couple of proper fast days last week (I eat noting all day until dinner time) and thankfully after 4 months of not doing it at all I haven’t suffered the side effects I was worried about. The good news is that my belly hasn’t grown since I stopped fasting either – finally plucked up the courage to measure it and still 33.5″ around. (I started at 36″ last year and need to get it under 32″).

I was planning to fast today but I might have to call it quits at lunchtime – the office is just far too cold today πŸ™

My FD finally happened today, cooked some cakes for Christmas only made what OH will eat and froze them any leftovers will be fed to Grandkids planning lots of walks with them and going to teach them how to slide down the dunes.not planning on weighing until after Christmas.

Hi All, arrived in Melbourne after very little sleep and am doing well! Cheers, Lael

I hope you get a lovely refreshing sleep Lael! See you tomorrow! β˜•οΈβ˜•οΈ

Envious of your meeting Lael and Cinque and happy to have read elsewhere that you had an enjoyable time together with Mr L. in tow.

Good job atcgirl, nice to see those waist inches peeling away.

How’s it going deb? Did you manage three fasts this week?

FishingGran, that sounds like a lot of fun. We might go to the beach on Boxing Day with a big salad and some leftover turkey.

I head into the Christmas weekend at 59.8kg. Nevertheless, I am doing my third fast of the week today since I won’t be fasting on Sunday obviously. I will be indulging in anything I want this year – I’m sure that I won’t want the quantities consumed in years pre-5:2 but I’m going guilt-free. I believe I can still achieve my goal to be under 60kgs when 1 January arrives.

Happy Christmas everyone and looking forward to meeting back here in the new year.

Hi everyone,

Atcgirl – well done, and as Thin said, good to see the waisr inches finally going down.

Tired today after a couple of vists to emergency with a relative from overseas over the last couple of days. Just resting now after the 2nd one, while Mr M and daughter do the food shopping for Christmas day. We have a tradition in our family that special Christmas foods are only for Xmas day with a small amount of leftovers on Boxing Day. We started this years ago when Xmas foods leached out into the week before and after Christmas, and it was all just too much. Healthy interesting salads for Christmas Day this year,mwith ham and a small amount of turkey breast. And some prawns.

My weight has been up a bit with 2 special birthdays on successive weekends, but started down again this morning, thank goodness.

Have a wonderful healthy, happy and safe Christmas and Hannukah,

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry and Mr M
    πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ˜Ž

I’m envious Thin as my goal is to get under 60kgs, preferably 57kgs to give me some breathing space.
    I feel like I hit a brick wall this week! Celebrating my birthday + all the social’stuff’ with the Christmas season has been so difficult for me. I started my fast days well but then ended not so well πŸ˜‘
    I was feeling quite despondent yesterday but after a good talking to, I am not going to stress too much. It has taken me well over a year to put this weight on so it won’t drop off in a few weeks plus I am hoping this will be a lifestyle change for me – keeping at least one fast day a week after I have hit my goal weight so I just need to pick up and move on.
    Our house is busy, busy as we prepare for 30+ guests on Christmas day so hopefully that will help with not being tempted. I am contemplating trying a fast day tomorrow after my failed attempt yesterday – will see.
    Well done to you πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Ps Merry Christmas πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Yes! act girl that’s great about your slim waistline! Gives me hope about mine maybe?! The weight at my belly button hasn’t shifted as much as I’d liked though maybe as much as I can expect for age and health circumstance.

Thin we would have loved you to join us! Maybe one day if you’re over on the east coast? By the way on our walk around Kew we came across a type of bookstore we thought no longer was in existence. It had classy art books and this ‘art’ style ice cream recipe book created by one of Melbourne’s premier ice cream places ‘gelato messina’. Much pictured in the book made me question whether it was really food. I had to read the recipes to confirm. Then I turned to the page with a gorgeous bombe and thought of yours, in your freezer ready for SundayThin! I bet yours will be as good as the one in the book looked!

Merry, great to read your idea about buying just enough to indulge for Christmas and a little left for Boxing Day. I’ve seen Christmas goodies sold as early as October and at times very tempting. Your Christmas salads sound yummy! I love turkey but won’t get any this year because where we’ve booked the four of us (Mr. L, his mum, his sis & I), for Christmas lunch the turkey option is glutenized. The chef has promised me eye fillet steak so am not complaining though turkey is my favourite!

Deb your attitude is inspiring! That you are keeping on is what speaks to me and counts! Though I’m at goal or around it, I too find that reading of others’ perseverance helpful.

Fishing gran, that sounds like a good strategy to bake just what Mr. FG will eat and using the freezer too help avert need to eat up food so as not to waste. I’m one who has eaten to prevent waste so often in the past so all the suggestions about how to approach holiday food is helpful.

Mr L’s family is notorious for giving wrapped food gifts as gifts; mostly sweets. I’ll keep in mind all of the above ideas!

I was going to fast tomorrow though I’ve changed my mind. We’ll be out and about riding trams and on foot all day and I don’t think I would enjoy the city if I fasted. It feels like all too much. I may instead do 16:8 and will continue with the mindful eating! Plus I just have to go back and eat at ‘Thrive’ at least one more time before we go home and tomorrow will be the only opportunity! ‘Thrive’ is something we discovered in the food court at the Melbourne Emporium. The menu is paleo but fast food. So you can order things that are very slow cooked, like bone broth and pulled beef bowls with greens, pesto and zoodles or make up your combo of ingredients from a list. I enjoyed this with a sparking apple cider vinegar drink!

Not sure I’ll be able to fit into goal pants by Boxing Day, even with mindful eating minus the fasting day tomorrow, though I’m enjoying and happy. Life is for living and sometimes to live it up!

Thanks Lael.
    It certainly helps having so much support from the forum.
    I have a pair of goal pants which will take me a bit longer than Boxing Day to fit in! I can just get into a goal dress I bought myself for Christmas day – I’ll be holding my tummy in and doing a penguin walk! Lol
    Enjoy your Christmas day πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Hello everyone,
    I have been able to avoid lots of silly season munchies by not going anywhere! (although I still managed an overeating day yesterday! πŸ™ ).
    Feeling pretty good today as I am making a couple of lovely dishes from the ‘Community’ recipe book to take to the family feast tomorrow.
    One is ‘Spiced Persian red lentils with roasted cauliflower and yoghurt’
    And the other is ‘Baked sweet potato with rocket, feta and black olive – walnut relish’
    It is so much easier for me if there is plenty of special food that suits me to eat!

Cheers everyone as you find your own way of truly enjoying the Christmas offerings. Pleasure, good health, and no sore bellies at the end (unless you want one)

Hi all! I’m happy to report that the dress I brought to fit into for Christmas lunch fit beautifully with room to move! I feel fabulous in it!

Christmas lunch got challenging at dessert. I opted for benign vanilla ice cream at the club where we dined over the sweeter pavlova which is really too sweet for me though it still triggered cravings a few hours later and so am in the throes of those! So, we are sitting at Maccas where I just had a Create Your Taste chicken salad which impressed me! I chose the extra grilled halloumi, parmsean and cherry grape tomatoes. When it came served in a porcelain bowl to our table I couldn’t believe we were sitting in Maccas! …all for $9.95 on Christmas evening when nothing else is open and we are on the road so to speak. Anyway, the cravings are quelled now thanks to the extra protein!

PS Cinque, your lentil dish and the sweet potato recipe sound like nourishing cures for my current cravings and would be better than the Maccas salad I just ate!

Oh dear, I overate on Christmas day (wish I had thought of inviting you and Mr Lael to share our feast, Lael!). Lovely food, but still recovering from too much sweet things (watermelon the other day!) that have set off that ongoing hunger that (stupidly) included more sweet things. So wasn’t feeling too happy last night. And after about 5 easy years of Christmas days! Hopefully next Christmas I will manage better.
    So glad to find Boxing Day is a perfect day for a Fast Day. Reset Day! A Christmas gift to myself.

Best wishes all!

Boxing Day!

Debdjd (I wonder what that means or whether you accidentally hit some keys with your elbow?), you started this WOL at a challenging time so hopefully you will find your rhythm now that Christmas is behind us. Maybe if you look at the triggers causing you to break your fasts, you will be able to make some changes. I hope you are soon into those goal pants. Keep posting so you can get tips and support from others. Wow, 30 guests for Christmas day, I’d be a nervous wreck.

Cinque, your dishes sound d’lish. Did you have a lovely Christmas with family? (Your post arrived while I was writing mine so I now have the answer. Enjoy your FD today!)

Lael, well done fitting into your dress. Thanks for the Christmas Day food report! The McD food sounds rather nice. Safe travels on your road trip.

On Xmas Eve, we have a tradition of eating Mr Kipling’s mince pies and drinking rum and egg nog while wrapping presents. I’m well and truly over that. I found the egg nog so sweet, it was horrid. Same with the mince pies. And at over 400 cals for that little treat, I decided it’s just not worth it. End of an era.

We have spent Christmas Day with family friends for the past 20 years, alternating each others’ homes unless we go overseas. It was my turn this year. I received the heartwarming compliment that this meal was ‘the best ever’ which was especially gratifying for me as I’m not a confident cook. I worked all day Xmas Eve preparing and was up with the larks on Xmas Day. I surprised myself by not being able to eat half of what was on my plate. I don’t think I have ever ‘wasted’ food in my life but just could not eat any more. It was a good feeling to recognise this and just stop eating. Before 5:2, I would have stuffed it in anyway. (Lael, don’t tell anyone but I made ‘Yummy Yam Bake’ with pecans – my husband’s American and one of our guests flew in from Cape Cod).

After a long interval of cracker pulling and general merriment, I had dessert comprising ice cream bombe and Xmas pud with brandy butter. Whoa! Like you Lael, that triggered something not too good and, after the guests had left and we’d had a lovely walk at the river, I came home to have another stab at the desserts. Hey! it’s Christmas and I went into it well-prepared at 59.6kg after Friday’s easy peasy fast. This morning I’m 60.4kg, well below my trigger weight, (I expected more damage) so I have one week to meet my Silly Season Challenge of getting under 60kgs by 1 January. We are so lucky to have found this WOL.

Happy New Year everyone!

Hi All, I’m loving reading of all the Christmas festivites! Today my cravings fire was further fuelled by an annual ladies Boxing Day lunch with a group of old friends. There were many home made treats which I thoroughly enjoyed, though like you Cinque, I now want more too! So I too am looking forward to a fasting reset as we arrive home. We depart Melbourne tomorrow evening so I’m planning my next fast days for Wednesday and I’m going to follow your lead Cinque and fast on a holiday of sorts… New Years Eve of all days! So my New Years Eve fast will be my way of celebrating The New Year and how good I feel practicing this WOL! …kind of like living the New Years resolution before New Years!

Thin, interesting about the extra sweetness taste of the mince tarts and egg nog. One of my friends at the Boxing Day lunch became very interested in 5:2 as I explained how our bodies find their own natural preferences on 5:2. I explained how the fasting reset days are so healing. And what’s good too is that we can prepare for the holidays as you describe Thin! So good that we can celebrate with loved ones and maintain our goals via this WOL!

PS there is a set of scales in the bathroom of this Airbnb where we’ve been staying. They are old style with dial and not very precise, but I have stepped on them a few times to see which direction I’ve been traveling. I can see the value of the true travel scales though since they would be a powerful incentive for me right now!

Morning Lael, I’ve been trying to find the address of the shop where I bought my travel scales as I was sure they were shipped from Melbourne and thought you might be able to find them before you leave. But it seems to be a mail order company called Fox and Monocle. Mine are Verrette Personal Light Bathroom Scales, $39.95, $7.95 shipping. Worth every penny and super accurate. They weigh 700gms and I’ve taken them on two o/seas trips now. I don’t leave home without them!

Pleased you are having so much fun meeting up with old friends and making new ones. Your mention of airbnb reminded me of two of our stays this year – one diabolical experience in Madrid and the best ever in Cape Town. How’s yours ranking? I may well join you and Cinque for a NYE fast – whatever it takes to get back under 60kgs by 1 January. Fasting on NYE wouldn’t be any particular challenge for me – I can barely stay awake until midnight and wouldn’t bother drinking as I don’t like champagne at all. Oh dear, what a bore!

I’m usually typing my messages for the forum on my phone and often on the run hence the typing errors, well that’s my excuse anyway WOL!!
    I managed to get through Christmas day and Boxing day without too much damage – we had fabulous food, lots of yummy seafood and lovely salads with pomegranate, mango etc which helped. I indulged in my daughter’s Toblerone icecream bombe and resisted the pavlova, trifle and christmas pudding, a challenge for me as I have such a sweet tooth. Now, I have to admit I wasn’t an angel and I did get stuck into the cheese and biscuits and lindt chocs but I didn’t overdo it. I did hop in the pool yesterday and swam for 45 mins which felt good.
    I started a water fast yesterday afternoon and will hopefully make it to this evening – so far, so good. My scales showed no weight gain this morning (just under 62kgs) after several days of enjoying myself so that certainly made me happy.
    I will hopefully get another one or two fast days in before the NY and hopefully my mind and body will get back into the routine.
    My christmas dress was still a bit on the tight side (probably a good thing as I couldn’t eat too much!) And my goal pants are in the corner of the cupboard and I’ll only get those out when I have lost another 3 kgs!
    I am very impressed that you travel with scales ThinAL – there is no way I could fit scales in my luggage!
    We also use Airbnb – so far we have been very lucky and had fantastic experiences through it.
    Lael – like you, there were several people on Christmas day that were very interested in the 5:2 diet and I now have a friend who is joining me on the 5:2. My hubby (who def doesn’t need to lose weight) is doing a 1 day a week fast for the health benefits – the more the merrier I say! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
    I am very much looking forward to NY eve as we love celebrating it so I will be trying hard to get these fast days back on track so we can celebrate in style without any guilt!
    Thanks everyone for the support πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Well done Deb! You’re enjoying this WOL exactly as it was designed. I like the sound of that toblerone bombe and will make a note to incorporate that when I’m hosting again. Great that your OH is joining you – makes FD meals so much easier. My OH did it with me 6:1 for 11 months but he lost too much weight and had to eat so much more on the other days!

I consider the travel scales ‘no go’ equipment and we’re a carry-on luggage only family too. We love to try and outdo each other with how little we can take. A check-in girl at Perth airport once told us that she had never seen anyone leave Perth Int’l airport with 5kgs luggage before!

I like the concept of airbnb too – and I should have added that they totally supported us wrt to the Madrid property and gave us a full refund plus even refunded their fee, so bad was that one. Just to show I’m not plugging any particular company, I’ll mention that we also use Wimdo.

Happy New Year to all and I hope you have a wonderful celebration Deb (where’s the party?!)

Happy post- Christmassing!(That sounds more energetic than I feel on the inside LOL. )

Good to hear all your Christmases and Boxing Days have been going. Cinque -your salads sounded great.

I’m in for the New Year’s Eve fast! My fasting days and ‘ not eating till after noon on nonFDs’ are being (delightfully) sabotaged by a young budding cook and ‘restauranter’ whose very early rising time is taken up by getting her restaurant ready, on the back verandah overlooking a wonderful view from our airbnb accomodation. We are then woken with a lovely smile, and 5mins later the restauranter/chef morphs into a hostess taking orders from the menu. How can a grannie resist! My last 2 FDs have done some morphing of their own into not eating till 4pm days and then lose the plotπŸ˜¬πŸ™ƒ.

Oh my goodness, the sugar! It is everywhere and in so many things in such huge quantities. How did we ever eat this stuff for years and think it was just so wonderful. No wonder we measured our Silly Season weight gains in kilos instead of grams. We bought custard this year and it is just so sweet. We also get a famous Christmas pudding for our US expat who loves it, but this year it didn’t get opened till last night and then only 2 of us had any, and yes the us included me. We couldn’t get a small one so most of this 1kg one will be going back to the USA I think. He has orders from various American friends who don’t get Christmas pudd or Christmas cake like our traditional ones. Apparently they go into raptures over the famous pudd he took back a year ago, and the ones on sale will probably be sold out by the time we get near a DJ’s or wherever so it will be winging it’s way soon, maybe I’ll package it up today, so I don’t eat any more. It has the saving grace of being so densely flavoured that it’s almost impossible to eat more than a tiny slice. As a family, we are all eating much healthier in general, and our Christmas hasn’t included very many things out of packets and cans, and we haven’t even had a Christmas cake this year. Each year we get further away from the traditional English Christmas. My family are, however big on brunch and cheese platters, so lots of temptation happening, and earlier eating than I’ve come to enjoy on my nonFDs. I did get a funny look from one of my kids when I said I was fasting on Boxing Day, but, as I said, it morphed into a “nothing till after 4pm day”.

Well, I have the travel scales, but I’ll swear they’re broken this morning. Definitely not reading right! I think when I get home it will be a 1 off back to back fasting 2 days with 350-500cals each of the 2 days, and nothing till after noon on my nonFDs.

Ps, there are scales in our airbnb too but they’re probably just as broken as my travel scales!

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Deb, the travel scales are quite small,band you have to practice balancing on the – heels together hanging off the back, toes pointing outwards hanging over the front. Brings back hilarious memories of previously unknown travel companions trying to balance on them in the aisle of a little minibus in the middle of a foreign country, much to the amusement of our guide and busdriver.

We try for carry on luggage but WOL you beat me hand’s down! I push myself right to the 7-8kg limit.
    The scales sound hilarious and although I do a lot of yoga – balancing is always a problem for me so I think I might end up with an injury! I thought my scales were broken too so I invested in a new set but think they are also broken lol
    Sydney Royal Botanic Gardens watching the fireworks with dinner, dancing – a bucket list job πŸ™‚
    I’m off to check out Wimdo now Thin.
    PS I’m still going with the water only fast and all I can say is thank goodness I am off shopping soon with my daughters to get me away from all the chocs and mince tarts in the house!

Good evening from muggy Melbourne,
    Such a lovely Fast I had yesterday and a sensible eating day today.

More sensible days to come I say!

So interesting to hear about all the different Christmases.

Best wishes everyone!

Cinque, I’m looking forward to a great fast day today! Off for a brisk walk now.

Deb, sorry, that should have read Wimdu. How did your water fast go?

Thanks Thin- google search found Windu so I’ve signed up.
    I succeeded in a 27hr water fast – yay. I did feel terrible last night though with an awful headache so think I got dehydrated. I do drink a lot of water but obviously not enough on my fast days so really need to be aware of that the next time.
    Enjoy your walk on this cool and overcast morning – perfect walking weatherπŸ˜€πŸ˜€
    Good luck with your fast days πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Hi All,

We’re back home in Northern New South Wales!

I really only had two blow out type days over the holidays, Boxing Day lunch with my lady friends and yesterday at the continued ‘Boxing Day’ sales (that really go on for a whole week) at Doncaster Westfield shopping mall! I have to chuckle about my foray there because I went around to what I consider all these ‘healthy’ food places to buy treats in between shopping for new smaller sized clothing, because the sized 16 shorts that I’d purchased at the same mall on Boxing Day 2015 no longer fit! Look, I know the ‘health’ treats aren’t really healthy, but they match my lower tolerance for sweetness. So, I made the rounds at ‘NU’ this kind of protein smoothie shake place in one of the center aisles. I wouldn’t waste calories on a protein shake! They sell these ‘raw’ slices and confectionery all made with raw ingredients so I chose a raw peanut butter chocolate slice! I think it might have been sweetened with rice malt syrup (still breaks down into sugar in the digestive tract – so I’m not fooling myself). Later After trying on some clothes at Meyer I headed over to ‘Frozen’ the biodynamic frozen yogurt shop and helped myself to a bowl of different flavored yogurts! I then headed over to DJ where I did find some ‘David Lawrence’ sized 12 shorts 40% off, and they fit very well, so bought those and also a 40% off top to go with them. I didn’t need the top, but couldn’t resist! On the way back to Mr. L. who’d been parked in the food court reading his study material for his master’s degree course, I passed a very tempting ‘Zumbo’ patisserie that had opened up since we’d been there last and whoa, was that difficult, passing up the couple of gluten free selections on show including a salted caramel cube that in typical Zumbo fashioned, didn’t exactly look like food but instead like an ornament that would look good displayed on a side table next to a lamp! I love Aussie chef creativity!! I love the thought of eating something that makes me guess what it is! Anyway, I was so full from the frozen yogurt and peanut butter slice that I couldn’t and I attribute even that small level of resolve to 5:2 since prior to 5:2 my craving and brain desire would have over ridden my bodily needs. 5:2 has aligned me more closely with my body and true hunger. I’m not perfect though, I’m aware that I would have been better off with a chicken salad than the peanut butter slice and yogurt for lunch, but so be it! I enjoyed them! Later on our plane ride home I looked at my watch and decided to start today’s fast!

When I stepped on our home scales this morning I couldn’t believe my eyes! I saw 56.8 kg. which is 200 grams less than the morning we left and that had been at the end of a FD. Well, if the scales aren’t broken, I’m chalking up the 200 gram loss to all the extra walking we did while in Melbourne. I certainly had to walk briskly at the ‘Boxing Day’ sale to get around to all the shops I wanted to visit!

Reading the other posts, I see I’m in good company with you Merry, Thin and Deb, fasting today as well! Hey, I’m rapt that I’ll be sharing a New Years Eve fast with Thin and Merry! I’m feeling that starting a fast on New Years Eve is a fitting way to end the year and ending it on New Years Day is my way starting the New Year on a positive note!

Cinque, Yay, that your FD went well and that you are back on track with eating in tune with your body! Gives me hope that after today I will be too!

Deb, hope that by the time you read this that your headache will have been long gone! Yes, I sometimes forget that when fasting we have to provide the extra water that we aren’t getting from our food. It’s also been so hot, seemingly everywhere in Oz. …Wow! New Years Eve at Sydney Royal Botanic Gardens and harbour foreshore with dinner and dancing! That does sound like fun and swish!

Merry, I loved reading of your budding restaurateur hostess who sounds delightful and irresistible! …And the Christmas pudding! Those Americans will be getting a real treat with the one you are sending home with your guest!

Thin, I loved the Airbnb where we stayed in Melbourne! I’ll give it 4 out of 5 stars! I felt right at home there and would like to stay there again next Christmas if it is available. By the way, Mr. L. has stayed in quite a few more Airbnb places than I, and he has some amusing stories to tell! Even this one made me chuckle a little since as I eyed the bath tub, Mr. L. pointed out that the tap handles had been removed! …That’s good to know that Airbnb is a responsible company who really cares about their customer base and that you were remunerated for your travail, though nothing can really make up for bad nights during a holiday so hope it didn’t spoil your whole trip. Wow, only 5 kg. on overseas travel including scales! I envy such light travel! I used to travel as lightly myself, though seems as I’ve gotten older I find more things to take and especially this time since we had to pack for 4 seasons because we were visiting Melbourne!

Oh dear, I keep thinking I am back on track and then finding I am not. Eating too much and then suffering with a sore tummy. Hoping a fast day today will be good, and tomorrow I will make my ‘salad in a jar’s again, as I found them really good and easy.

Lael, welcome home! I had to laugh at your trail of treats, but I am so glad you enjoyed them!

Merry I loved reading your wonderful tale of Christmas foods and adventures.
    What a season for excess!

Deb, sometimes a bit of extra salt is important to help your body absorb that precious water and keep headaches away. A soup, or just a little salt to lick off the tip of your finger can be good. Miso soup if you are into that! You can buy the little pouches in the supermarket and make a cup of lovely savoury broth.

I wonder if I will fast NYE too. I’d love to share the fast day with you, but I have a feeling Sunday will suit me better.

Best wishes all! Does the silly season end next week?

I have been bad no way will i lose the kilo i gained but fasting today will help sitting here with my bottle of iced water trying to ignore OH munching away while i starve lol.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply.