Silly Season Challenge

This topic contains 124 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Debdjd 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 125 total)

• Hello all from sunny Perth, Australia!

Would anyone like to join me in a Christmas challenge? I want to demonstrate my continued commitment to intermittent fasting while still enjoying everything the silly season has to offer.

This will be my third Christmas since starting 5:2. In 2014, while still losing weight, I didn’t deprive myself of any long-held traditions (mince pies and eggnog included) but continued two strict fasts a week throughout the Christmas period. By January, I was delighted not to have gained my usual 3kgs at this time of year and treated the result as a plateau.

Last Christmas, then at my goal weight, posed the additional challenge of being overseas for seven weeks. By then, I was eating more mindfully and on 6:1. The considerable increase in activity (10km hilly walks & 15km hikes in the Sierra Nevadas) saw me losing too much weight so I stopped fasting for the final 4 weeks while paying a lot of attention to what I ate (and it’s not always easy to say no to pastel del natas in Portugal). I came home at exactly the same weight as when I’d left.

So, this year, having maintained my goal weight for about 17 months, I’m stuck at home and, even worse, I’m the host for Christmas so I’m challenged with having to buy and have in the house a lot of stuff that I no consider food! And I’m already at my ‘trigger’ weight so I need to stop eating rubbish and lose 1-2kgs NOW.

I want to prove that, whether we’re still losing weight on 5:2, or maintaining our goal weight, this way of eating can fit into whatever is happening in our lives – we don’t need to abandon it for Christmas or travel. We can move our FDs to accommodate any invitations to functions and celebrations.

So, who’s with me for a ‘no excuses’ commitment to either maintaining a current weight or losing a kg between now and 1st January?

To get this rolling, I’ve lost 23kgs on 5:2, have maintained my weight between 59-61kg for 17 months with 61kg being my trigger weight and that’s where I am now. OK 61.1kg actually. Feeling very uncomfortable with it too. I pledge to be back under 60kgs by 1 January. Happy Holidays everyone. Go 5:2!

Hi Thin
    Noble sentiments. Like you, I was 2 months overseas over Christmas last year and came back still under my trigger point (60kg)
    I did struggle all through our Aussie winter to drop much below that (I’ve had too many winters in the last couple of years) but dropped nearly 2kg again with the start of the warmer weather.
    I too will be catering for visitors over this festive season and fully intend to stay (as much as possible ) in the 59kgs. This will require 2 fasts per week, skipping breakfast if I am not GENUINELY hungry (and light), eating mindfully all the time and stopping well before I am full.
    I know I can do it. This will be our 4th Christmas as 5:2ers.
    All the best with the challenge! P 😊😊

Hi Thin, I’m in! I’m already over the upper limit of my goal weight envelope as I write, due to needing to completely skip fasting for over a week and eating emotionally over that time. My goal is to resume my 2 x fast days per week practice through December and I’m confident the rest (returning to goal weight envelope and maintaining) will take care of itself (returning to goal weight envelope remaining there).

Hi, Thin, yes, I’ll join in. It’s my first winter maintaining. I found reaching target quite easy, even quietly doing 5:2 on our American tour and reaching target after five months, I’ve September. I’ve continued to lose, getting to the point where no more!

Relaxed too much this week and seemed to put on nearly 4lbs, which alarmed me. I’m not entertaining at Christmas, but there will still be loads of temptation!
    Pol 🍷

Hi Thin,
    Yes, I’ll join you, too. As you know, I’m new to the 5:2 program. Have only just done 4FDs so far (Mondays and Thursdays).
    Starting weight was 70.5kg. Hoping to have lost a little when I weigh myself on Monday.
    My ultimate goal is probably 58kg, but have set it at 60kg for the time being.
    Am going overseas in mid-February, about 12 weeks from my start date, so would love to lose at least 6kg by then.
    Here’s hoping.
    Cheers
    Chat

Hi thin .i really want to join .i am a newby here, after some unsuccessful diets i found 5:2 diet and am willing to stick to it until i reach my goal, 50 kilos.i want to start and get used to this lifestyle this december.then start new year prepared and lose about 10 kilos in 4-5 months.

I’m in! Not being very social (not a misery boots so much as limited by chronic illness) and not eating sugar, AND quite alcohol intolerant, means I might have an easier time navigating the pitfalls and parties of the silly season, but it is still an interesting ride to share!

Thin,

I’m in.

I’ve been maintaining since May/June 2014, with an upper trigger weight of 60kg.
    I went into both Xmas 2014 and 2015 light, roughly 2kg below upper limit, making it relatively easy to come out under my upper limit.

This morning I’m 59.8 so teetering around top end. So, to fast down now to allow for overindulgence? Or to exert steely will and eat like a sparrow plus fasting….

Hi Thin, been absent from 5-2 for nearly a year! Just retired to the country (in Vic) and far too much celebrating!!! You all sound like you have a similar goal weight to me, around the high fifties…
    So here goes!

This is a great challenge thinatlast! I’m in!

I’m new here and starting my first fast on Monday. Even if I don’t lose much or just maintain, that’s still breaking the cycle of holiday weight gain every year.

Thanks for starting this, and hello everyone!

thinat last, I just converted your kg. loss to pounds, and realize you lost over 50 lbs. on 5:2. Wow! Congratulations. I want to lose about that much, and I feel 5:2 will get me there.

Hi Thin this is just what i need I was just trying to decide what to have in the house over Christmas my OH just doesn’t eat most of the silly season food and i can’t see anything go to waste so i tend to eat it all so i will have a few goodies for visitors.You have done really well so my goal will be to have lose not gained in that time so i am in.

I’m so stoked that you’re joining me. Just by saying it ‘out loud’ to all of you has made me committed and accountable so thank you so much! I had a motivating FD yesterday reading all your posts.

Hi Happy, I’m going to take your first option and ‘fast down’ to give myself some wiggle room. I’m down 600gms this morning and keen to get back under 60kgs.

Ellajoyce, I really applaud your bravery for starting 5:2 just before Christmas. Many would eat their way through the holidays and say they’ll start in January so huge kudos to you. I hope your first fast goes well today. You’re quite right, if you simply don’t gain any weight, it will be a head start over past years. Welcome back Lindanaf.

FishingGran, I have all those long-standing issues with food waste stemming back to childhood. I’m much better now. Good planning and sensible shopping will be key for us. One of my friends who I turned on to 5:2 and who’s had great success with it, said to me when I was about to greedily take a second of some treat or other, “in 5 minutes, it won’t have made any difference whether you’d eaten one or two. So just have one”. I try to remember that. Let the guests eat the leftovers!

Hi Pol, we haven’t ‘met’ yet but I read your posts on the MC thread. As Purple often says, this takes constant vigilance. It’s so easy to become complacent and I’d been hovering around my ‘trigger’ weight for too long. I hope you can shed the pesky 4lbs in the coming weeks.

Did the scales treat you kindly this morning Chat?

Purple, it’s so cool that you’re entering your fourth year. I sometimes wonder why I can’t just eat normally every day and worry that I’ll wake up one day and think I don’t want to fast anymore. I have to stay mindful of the health and longevity aspects of fasting. And of course the fact that it works, unlike anything else I tried.

How’s everything going for you Cinque and Lael? All relaxed for the holidays it sounds. We can meet back here on 1 January to report in.

I’m actually finding it scary that I look forward to fast/reset days now Thin.
    I already put the effort into getting some wriggle room, so now there is no way overeating is going to bite into it😊
    A girl has to look good lazing around the pool in her new 2 piece, sipping iced water!
    All the best fellow challengers. P

@PVE. Its Monday and its my water fast day. Eliminate processed crap and it becomes easy to maintain your weight goal. Free donuts and biscuits in the lunch room which is located 2 metres from my work station. That donut pile is disappearing quickly and it doesn’t hold any allure over me.

Water fast here too BigB 😊 Just had a refreshing iced black coffee. 33 deg here. 🌞
    Are you joining Thin’s Christmas challenge? P

Hi PVE, I wasn’t going to as Ive never been a big Christmas type of person. I very rarely drink anymore and I don’t really eat Christmas fare, although I do like a nice prawn cocktail and fried calamari. πŸ™‚ So I didn’t think it would be a fair challenge as I wouldn’t actually be challenging myself. Just got back from holidaying in Darwin and I didn’t put on any weight. When I left I was 70.7kg and when I got back I was 70.7 kg. In fact last week I dipped below 70 kg for the first time so Ive been trying to eat more than I want to as I really don’t want to drop any more weight, but still want to do one water fast each week.

We are the same BigB, but it’s fun to encourage others that no matter what you are doing in life, this wol will keep you healthy. Cheers P 🍷🌲

Hi! I’m in the December small group too 😊 fairly new to the world of fasting having just started in November and excited about committing to another month. I hope it’s OK to be here too.
    I generally do 500 calorie days on Monday and Wednesday. I’m a terrible calorie counter (and is actually a habit I don’t want to expose my kids to) but I intuitively/mindfully eat on both FD and NFD. I went from skipping just breakfast on FD, to fasting until mealtime on FD, sort of depending on activity level. My son has food allergies so I’m a crazy label reader so I generally know where I am wrt target calories, and I lost about 4 pounds in November so its working ok for me. I’m pretty active and am working on getting back into hiit and interval training, the couple times I tried in November didn’t work out so well on FD. I think my body has just needed the time to adjust fuel burning source from glycogen to fat/fuel…

I’m really inspired by all of you long term fasters here!

Of course it’s OK to be here J-ray – the more the Christmas merrier! Welcome to you. Bring your friends over here. We’re not all maintainers here, ellajoyce is starting today and Lindan has just returned to the fold. I’ve never counted calories on non-FDs (I might get a rude awakening), I started once and gave up by breakfast. However, I can see how doing so would help keep you very accountable about what passes your lips. Yes, we have to be careful about our food habits in front of children. A lot of my deep-seeded ‘issues’ surrounding food came from some rather bizarre parenting practices. Even if you just maintain your losses over Christmas, you will have achieved something good. That’s why I set the challenge to either maintain or lose a kg.

OK Purple and BB, I’ve been out and bought some expensive coffee beans after reading your posts earlier and I will grind them and give the iced black coffee a go on Wednesday. Smells divine, sounds disgusting. If I could make myself like it, I could do the 24 hr fast. It would otherwise be a piece of cake for me (sorry terrible analogy) as we eat dinner very early and I never have my first FD meal until 2pm – that’s only a small stretch until 5pm.

I’d like to join the gang too Thin. I didn’t want to lose much when I started 5:2 back in early 2014, just bring my borderline overweight BMI back into the mid healthy range. So BMI went from 25 to 21 which I thought was a bit too much off my now much smaller pear shaped bod. Since then I’ve gone up a bit and need to be mindful in the next few weeks or even lose a kg. I don’t and never did count calories, today was my fast day and has consisted of water, a couple of coffees and some almonds. Yay for reset days. I have a semi dormant sweet tooth I have to keep in check. And not eat too much of my sourdough bread … thanks for the recipe Purple πŸ™‚

Giving myself a pat on the back OH came in from shopping and asked if i would like some chocolate no thank you then he hid it. I have to say i would give up choc for sourdough bread.

Oh no! Fast Day. And I’d already had my ritual two coffees with almond milk before remembering that I was going to try iced black coffee for breakfast. Maybe the fact that it was raining when I woke up had something to do with it. Ok, Sunday.

Well done Fishing Gran. Some friends brought some good quality chocolates over when we had a BBQ a couple of weeks back. OH has apparently forgotten about them and I hid them in the laundry. I know they’re there but they’ll taste a lot better if I wait until Christmas Day and share them with my dinner guests.

Welcome Violet, lovely to hear from you again.

Yep, count me in. I lost about 2 stone between September 2015 and September 2016, but I started to get a bit scrawny yet still had a large belly (more than half my height in diameter) so I stopped for a bit, and was also nervous about starting again after a big holiday.

Now I’m back on the wagon but I think I need to do this smarter in order to lose the belly fat but not get too thin everywhere else. I’m thinking healthy fats are on the menu and sugar needs to be drastically reduced. I’m also not going to worry about losing weight on the scales, so long as i don’t go below my lowest healthy weight, but I will be measuring inches around my belly. Currently 34″ ish….

Currently feeling a bit ostracised by my colleagues because I’m not partaking in the massive pile of food currently on offer!

There are 5 of us on my team at work. Currently sat on the boss’s desk is:
    1 large tub of quality street
    1 large tin of retro sweets
    1 large tin of cadbury heroes
    1 half packet of mince pies.

Now THAT’S a challenge Atcgirl!
    Fasting today, but won’t get another full one in until next Wednesday as we are going away on a self catering, partying, weekend with a crowd. We will skip breakfast every morning and limit our alcohol. I plan to take only one homemade sourdough loaf, small weighed portions of protein and lots of fresh salad makings. And my kefir! I’ll allow us one “naughty” (mince pie or Christmas cake) for each day.
    The challenge begins…
    P

Have fun Purple. Excellent planning!

Congratulations on your loss ATCgirl. That’s a lot of temptation on your boss’s desk. I’d be inclined to take one of each ‘for later’ just to shut them up. It sounds like your co-workers are a bit envious of your size and want to fatten you up a bit. Well done for resisting.

Hi Mika12, I missed your post before. Welcome to you. Good idea to get used to fasting during December. Let us know how you get on.

I have bought very small cake and Christmas pud we so i won’t have leftovers fresh salads and seafood for Christmas dinner better for my hips and my hip pocket lol.

Good morning all πŸ™‚ Not sure if you’re doing a Friday weigh in on here. I managed two reasonable fast days this week, but the main thing is I’ve cut out the vino. This is my down fall…the dreaded happy hour, which used to be more in control before retiring. Now there’s just no discipline!
    I did have a little slip up on Thursday, which was the monthly movie day at the library. They have coffee and bickies. Only this time , because of Christmas, they served shortbread biscuits! Ooh nice! I was half way through mine when I remembered it was a fast day! Then I thought , well this is what it’s all about (I think) being able to still do reasonable fasts over the silly season, and still have the odd treat, and still lose or stay the same (sts). Happy to say, I did lose 1.5 kg this week! Early days still, but feeling pretty good πŸ™‚

Well done Linda, but please, no ‘Friday weighin’! That sounds like a weight loss diet.
    5:2 is a way of eating for life. As such, regular weighing, morning and night, always, gives you a feel for how your body reacts to different choices you have made and guides you into the future.
    No point in a weekly weigh. One week you might happen to be heavier, another lighter. Human bodies do that all the time.
    I’ve learnt over the past 3 1/2 years that thin people keep an eye on their weight and adjust their intake accordingly. For me, and Mr P, it is easy to monitor on the bathroom scales every day.
    Keep it up. 😊 P

Fishing Gran, a seafood Christmas sounds so much healthier and more suitable for the Aussie climate – for reasons that I won’t bore you with, we are sort of locked into the traditional British fare. I tried the Coles deluxe Xmas pud at the recent shareholders’ meeting and didn’t think it was all that great. I’ll make a Christmas bombe instead. All the ingredients are ridiculously expensive (nougat, pistaccios, etc) but at least I know what’s in it and it gets shared eight ways so no leftovers.

Lindan, great job on the 1.5kgs loss. I’d have been inclined to put the shortbread in my bag for tomorrow once I remembered it was a FD. I did once blow a FD and already had all the food eaten before realising it was a FD. I got myself in a right old panic and then I woke up. What a relief!

Like Purple and Mr P, I am an obsessive weigher, night and day and use the result as a constant guide. I still record it all too with Thursday being the day I ‘count’ as a weigh-in day. Unlike Purple though, I think it’s OK if you want to record your losses here on Fridays or whatever day you choose because it helps keep you accountable if you’re reporting in. (Purple, this might mark a difference between maintainers and people still losing weight – the reward is still very much expressed in the loss itself). Keeping in mind what Purple says though that there are many reasons for weight fluctuations. Anyway, we’re all celebrating your loss this week!

Thin we have weighed every day since we started in 2013. He records it every day. I always recorded the lowest for the week, on a graph, to keep me motivated.
    I don’t disapprove of others doing it their own way, just requested it didn’t end up as a ‘thing’ on this thread.
    P

I weigh daily but can appreciate how this might be counter productive for some people if they have an unhealthy view on what the weight is telling them.

I try and maintain my weight within a +/- 1kg range. My trigger is Tuesday mornings after my fast. If below 70kg I actively eat more for the week, if over 71 kg I actively reduce what I eat for the week. Christmas doesn’t hold any special allure for me so all this “festive eating and drinking” isn’t an issue for me. I just eat the same regardless. Yes I know Im about as boring as it gets.

Boring? I doubt it BigB! I’d see it as a healthy control of your future ☺☺☺

Hi Thin
    Is it too late to join in?

I have lost 5.8 kgs since 14 Oct and dread the thought of gaining over the Christmas/New Year period. I need to stay accountable and mindful of what I am eating – I also need to continue 2 FDs per week and this will be perfect.

I don’t mind if I don’t lose but I must NOT gain

Of course not wwall. Love to have you here. Sounds like you’re doing well. Staying the same weight over the hols is a great goal and you don’t want to undo all that you’ve achieved. I’ve just been invited to neighbourhood drinks on Wednesday night – one of my FDs – so I’ll switch to Thursday this week which will put me in good company of fasters I believe. I’d prefer to switch for the day before the normal FD so I’m ahead not behind but there’s something else on Tuesday. I’m not planning on missing out on anything – including my two FDs!

Hi Thin, Count me in, we’re away for three nights from 23rd then its all on for me work wise, mega busy so I’ll not get much time to eat after the 27th!!! hahaha

Xmas doesn’t do it for me either but OH is pretty keen, out for a buffet dinner on the 25th so will need to starve myself all day, find it works better for me sticking to 16:8.

I guess time will tell, I like what you said purple, always eat as though you are at your goal weight, all part of that mindful eating I guess.

Cheers,
    Turn

You are all so little
    60kg….I could snap you In half.

Are you all hobbit size? I’m 5ft 7ish ( think I grew. ..now 5 ft 8 but maybe my skull got bigger)
    But use to be 76 kilo till 9 yrs ago when 1.5 kilo a year went on

Without any invite

So started 5:2 on Monday ( after a three year break!!) So by Jan first I want to have lost a kilo at least and fasted two days next 2 weeks and 6;1 Christmas week at least (min, might be able to do 5;2 but my goal is 6:1 cos I will do that )

They are my goals.

I am blown away by your years of commitment to this lifestyle people
    Amazzzzing
    Congrats.

Losing…and keeping it off can be achieved

πŸ™‚

CANT WAIT!!

Yay, here come the kiwis. Welcome both of you. Turn, have you sold your place?

See dumpling, you can do it. Good goals. I’m 5′ 6″ in the old money. I haven’t been this weight in 30 years.

I don’t think I was ever your weight !

Hi dumpling! Welcome! I’m the same height as you and Mimi Spencer! We are all 170 cm or 5’7″ or you were! Now you are 5’8″! I wouldn’t mind growing an inch! Most of us start shrinking in height as we get older!

I made hubby measure me . I think he used a dodgy ruler. My passport says 170
    I think I will go with that.

I’m size 16-18
    Would like to be a 12

Hi Thin

Third Christmas on 5:2 and weight higher than I prefer going into the silly season. Thanks for setting up the challenge.

By way of background, I began 5:2 on 25 January 2014 and lost 17 kg (37 ib) in six months by doing strict 5:2 and by limiting processed food, and omitting all white food.

Have been maintaining ever since. I look forward to fast days as I have way more energy.

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺🌺

Hi Dumpling

I went from size 16 to size 12 in six months. Fasting helped me to relearn portion size. And I believe it was because I gave up all sugar, wheat, and pasta, rice, potato etc. that the fat came off my shoulders and torso. And upper arms. It is important that your non fast day TDEE is set at your goal weight. Not the weight you are now.

Like many of us, I eat tasty full fat foods, Greek yogurt, berries, lots of vegetables, nuts, olive oil, and small amounts of protein such as eggs, fish, beef and Parmesan. Food must be tasty and enjoyable. Like Thin, I find blueberries very sweet. I also find almonds to be a sweet treat.

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺🌺

I believe you and Cyndi omera re full fat foods. With you all the way there.

I’ll see your size twelve and raise you in 6 mths πŸ™‚

Hi, joining, but no time to post, back laterπŸ™‚
    Merry

Challenge…well I just joined and already challenged !

Thought this coming week, had it sorted. Fast Tuesday and Thurs.
    Hubby cooks Sunday dinner so didn’t want Sunday, grad dinner Monday night for third child , Tuesday zilch, wedn hubbies work do, Thursday…nothing. Had FORGOT GIRLS DESSERT NIGHT! We had to pick a country out a hat, I got USA, yay…easy. Friday going away for the night to Hamilton (nz) with two of the kids and hubby and another two families , back Saturday. Forget fasting those two days

So I fasted today, after eating three candy canes and some chocolate buttons for breakfast when I then realised…eek, I’m going to have to fast till dinner tonight and have a little chicken boob and some veg only. No roast spuds, no lemon meringue pie ild made. …no eating my usual fast day food and feeling self righteous cos I hadn’t planned to do it today

Didn’t have lunch, thought the candy canes were probably 200 cals as is . they were mini ones at least…small mercies

Glad I remembered in time…didn’t want to let myself down with one fast only on a Tuesday this week, when I already set my goals five posts back!!!

Weigh day for me Monday too…after my first week.

Next goal is sussing non fast day food and cut out a lot of the sugar. Baby steps….

Hi everyone,
    Thinatlast this thread is a great idea to help with the rigours and temptations of the festive (silly) season.
    From Christmas eve I personally will be in a caravan with my kids for 3 weeks on the beach near Wollongong NSW with my parents camped next door, my cousins with there kids across from me, brother and family three doors down the road and other family and friends who I have grown up with on holidays together for my entire life.
    The challenge is the restaurants that are within a 5 minute walk up the street and my previous rule was I didn’t work all year to cook on holidays and the friends and relatives stopping off to be social which tends to lead to a beverage or two.
    So my challenge will be to say not today and send the kids off for fish and chips while I wait to have a late night dinner so as to sleep through. I will maybe read and post on FD’s to keep on the straight and narrow.
    This will be the toughest time as there is nowhere to hide from people and as we all know what day it is means nothing on holidays so if you shift a FD you might be moving it to a more challenging situation so I shall be strong and stick to my guns with this WOL on this Silly Season Challenge.

Hi Thin, no, not sold yet, unfortunately, I had been hoping to be out by Xmas but it wasn’t to be, I guess everything happens for a reason, so we’ll just be patient and see how it turns out.

Looking forward to the challenge, might just be able to fit in the usual Mon Thurs of that week, but might just make it Tues Thurs/Fri the second week? We’ll see, its so good to be able to change it when it suits.

Cheers,
    Turn

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply.