September 2020 Monthly Challenge — SALUBRIOUS SEPTEMBER

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
September 2020 Monthly Challenge — SALUBRIOUS SEPTEMBER

This topic contains 541 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  NorthGeorgia 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 549 total)

• 2nd post – I knew I had more things to comment on!

@northgeorgia I meant to say that I am loving your inspirational posts. I used to take photos ever Saturday afternoons to mark my progress and it was fascinating to s roll through. I might start doing that again. I also used to keep a diary where I would capture what I ate, what I weighed that day, how I was feeling. I must start that again too.

See, that’s maybe why the mojo is hiding….all the things I used to do I stopped doing…..except for coming faithfully on here.

@snowflake56 that really made me smile that you were dyeing clothes whilst wearing a teal silk dress. Now I have images of you with pearls and white gloves and the finest of gowns….like Jacqueline Kennedy ☺️

Right, now I am finished, off to work.

Day 8, London, UK, NFD

PFDS …………………. And well deserved too😇!!! I had a few wobbles yesterday, temptation lies around every single corner!!! However, I battled that particular dragon and completed my LFD although with minimal liquid, must do better …………………. again!! @superlambanana, have a look at the opening post on page 1, lots of info about these challenges and a handy list of acronyms, you’ll soon get the hang of it!!

@snowflake56, my mum was the same with lockdown, now it’s very difficult to get her out and about😩, just a gentle walk on Saturday was hard work for her because she just potters around the house all day😴.

Did anyone ever post a link to the earthing sheet? I’ve looked, but must admit, confusion reigns!!! I get a bit bogged down with delving into things, and it might take a few months before making an actual purchase, I have a researchers mind plus a fair bit of procrastination in me!!!!

I’m rushing today as I’ve a Pilates class in 10 mins and I haven’t even got my mat ready!!!!

Have a great day folks ………………………… @daffodil2010, your OH deserved that kebab & of course you HAD to keep him company!!!

D8 FD UK Lake District

Had a successful FD yesterday and hopeful for another one today. I will be joining the ZBC and exercise list today.

Hi @superlambanana Our posts coincided yesterday so I am sorry for not saying hello. I am new to this group been here since August although not new to this WOL (way of Life) It is a lovely group from all over the world.

@stitchincarol Hope you enjoyed the time spent with your friends. I find the scales quite upsetting when they go up and down so this month as part of my challenge is not to get on them ( That’s a challenge in itself as they are there in the bathroom and just want to take a peek) until the end of the month. I know that if I stick to my eating and exercising plan the weight should come off.

@daffodil2010. Really looking forward to getting the earthing sheet. Haven’t told DH about it yet as he is not very open minded about things like this. I am reading the book and he has asked about it. The patches sound a good idea might get some to try out on mum and dad when they are here at Christmas. Would be interest to hear how your Dad gets on.

@flourbaby There are quite a few earthing sheets around. This is the one @emma Taylor posted
    https://rowlandearthing.co.uk/pages/organic-earthing-sheet and is the one I have ordered. Enjoy pilates.

Cant see that anyone has started the pocket lists off today so here goes. Hope I have done it right and I don’t miss anyone.

Pocket list Day 8
    @kazoo
    @ccco

ZBC day 8 🚫🍳
    @kazoo

DTF List Day 8
    @ccco

Exercise 30×5 Day 8
    @kazoo

Off to walk with Leslie. Have a good day everyone.

Day 8, Northern Ireland, NFD

Ah yes, i see LFD is liquid fasting day vs the more disciplined (I assume) WFD for water fasting day.

What do you guys count as acceptable liquid on a LFD?

Day 8, Emden Germany, LFD

@stitchincarol and @superlambanana The stain got out but the dress is still wet, it’s raining so it takes time to fully dry.

@superlambanana Just try out one of the Leslie Samsone videos, they are fun to do and time flies by. On a LFD I drink lots of weak coffee and when I get hungry I take a mug of chicken broth, the cat gets the meat.

@daffodil2010 What a terrible day your DH had! I hope the patches will ease your Dad’s pain, it’s worth trying. Of course I’m always dressed like that! No, I only had it on because it finally fits well, I’ve hardly ever worn it. I mostly wear dresses, pants don’t fit me very well.

@flourbaby My mother seldom leaves her room and my sister says she doesn’t want to walk anymore. She’s almost blind and perfers to sleep a lot.

Pocket list Day 8
    @kazoo
    @ccco
    @daffodil2010
    @snowflake56

ZBC day 8 🚫🍳
    @kazoo
    @snowflake56

DTF List Day 8
    @ccco
    @daffodil2010

Exercise 30×5 Day 8
    @kazoo
    @snowflake56 💃

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 8 – USA/GA – FD

My body is obviously hating on going back to work today. After maintaining a lovely 246 lbs all weekend long, it decided it would be a great day, the morning of my FD, to jump back to 248 lbs. Of course! Anyway, here’s hoping for some progress this week — now that the holiday weekend has ended, things should start getting easier.

When the scale doesn’t move, try the old tape measure. I have to admit, I see the tape measure move more slowly than the scales, so I don’t find it quite as motivating as watching the pounds drop or being able to fit into a smaller size. But for many people, taking measurements in that way shows more progress than on the scales (yes, there are columns for those measurements on the spreadsheet!) and even if the tape measure is slow like a snail, as in my case, it can still be a supplemental motivator. When was the last time you took measurements? Have you seen any changes in the past month or two?

Good luck to everyone on the pocket lists today!

Pocket list Day 8
    @kazoo
    @ccco
    @daffodil2010
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia

ZBC day 8 🚫🍳
    @kazoo
    @snowflake56
    @northgeoriga

DTF List Day 8
    @ccco
    @daffodil2010

Exercise 30×5 Day 8
    @kazoo
    @snowflake56 💃

Day 8 NFD UK

Day 8 already and this month has not started well for me. I thought that I would lose weight with the special diet, which i did, but oh boy have I put it all and some back on again. I just don’t seem to be able to get my brain in gear and a week has gone by already.😂😂😂

Am going to try to be quite laid back about it and not fret. I cant change what’s done.

The local leisure centre has partially re opened and competition for classes is fierce as they are much restricted and reduced. I managed to get a space for aqua fit this morning, ……. gawd it nearly killed me. This in spite of going for walks each day. I realise how unfit I have become and it is a salutary lesson.
    It is easier to get into the gym so have booked a couple of time slots there.

Out to lunch tomorrow which is a long standing arrangement much postponed due to the virus. I will enjoy and not worry about calories and wait for a better mind set.

I have read your posts but too tired to comment on today.

TTFN

Day 8 MN/USA NFD DTO (dry till October)

Good FD yesterday under 500 Cals. I may try for under 1000 today, but won’t push it. I’m planning another FD tomorrow and again on Friday, for 3 this week. The scales have moved up 2 lbs since I met goal last month, then down a pound, and now just staying the same, so I need to buckle down for the next three weeks to meet my goal of another 5 lb weight loss.

Pocket list Day 8
    @kazoo
    @ccco
    @daffodil2010
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia

ZBC day 8 🚫🍳
    @kazoo
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @northerndawn

DTF List Day 8
    @ccco
    @daffodil2010

Exercise 30×5 Day 8
    @kazoo
    @snowflake56 💃
    @northerndawn

Day 8 Melb Aust CD

Managed a CD today after a couple of NFDs. I’ve gone back above my “trigger” weight, so putting the brakes on hard.

Lots of interesting posts, clothes that fit, don’t fit, sewing that works, doesn’t work, nails long or not, dying of clothes that does or doesn’t work, grounding/ earthing sheets as a new interesting topic, holidays cancelled and/or changed – how can all of this have happened since I last posted? Even air pots, which I still don’t really understand; will have to have a discussion with Mr Google 🙂 ! What has happened to the time this month?

All I know is that we persevere, and the weight will eventually go. End of story!

Onward and downwards everyone!

Day 8 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD

My halo slipped a bit yesterday: I stopped after half the Leslie walk, telling myself I’d do the other half when we got home…except, of course, I didn’t. sigh. I DID, however, walk in place beside the bed, reading my Kindle, until I got to 6K (my self-imposed minimum per weekday), so at least I didn’t actually pull off the halo and fling it into the trash! Plus, when we finally got to the restaurant with our friends, after two breweries, I didn’t much like the beers I tasted, so just drank water AND split a grilled chicken sandwich with DH. So, not a FD, and not a Fast5 day, and not dry, but not bad.

Today or tomorrow, I’m going to can a lug of peaches. Now I’m realizing how tough that’ll be not to pop a piece of peach in my mouth, or otherwise nibble during the process. sigh. Sometimes real life gets in the way of this Way Of Life!

@daffodil2010, thanks for the details on what you meant by mattress topper. I’m getting closer and closer to figuring out what I want to get for DS to help him sleep.

Question for all of you doing grounding stuff: do you believe a pad you’d put your feet on, or that you’d put underneath your laptop (a description I read somewhere) is like to make someone sleepy, or would it be more to the point to simply get a mattress grounding pad, and that’s the most likely way to get to sleep and then stay asleep? I know that’s the same as asking for medical advice, but I’m really asking what your experience has been. 🙂

@betsylee, loved, loved, loved your post: “Lots of interesting posts, clothes that fit, don’t fit, sewing that works, doesn’t work, nails long or not, dying of clothes that does or doesn’t work, grounding/ earthing sheets as a new interesting topic, holidays cancelled and/or changed – how can all of this have happened since I last posted? Even air pots, which I still don’t really understand; will have to have a discussion with Mr Google 🙂 ! What has happened to the time this month?” I laughed out loud for a long time the way you summarized everything!

Okay, I’m off to get dressed and head up town to get my hair trimmed; one of the best hair stylists in the state works in our little village, and her salon is a three-block walk…she’s become my friend in the 14 years we’ve lived here, and I love our “get-togethers”! It’s pouring rain this morning, however, and since we need rain badly, I won’t complain, but will simply drive those blocks instead, LOL.

Day 8 – second post to add the lists!

Pocket list Day 8
    @kazoo
    @ccco
    @daffodil2010
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol

ZBC day 8 🚫🍳
    @kazoo
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @northerndawn
    @stitchincarol

DTF List Day 8
    @ccco
    @daffodil2010

DRY TODAY, Day 8 — does this count???? 🙂
    @stitchincarol

Exercise 30×5 Day 8
    @kazoo
    @snowflake56 💃
    @northerndawn
    @stitchincarol

Day 8 Canada FD

That was a wonderful weekend, some good food and exercise and sleep. Feeling refreshed and ready for the week ahead. I don’t think I have made think I have made any progress on losing yet this month so will have to push through. Thanks for the mid-month reminder @northgeorgia

@superlambanana it is great to have you join us, I was also entering dangerous territory with too much wine and food at the start of the pandemic and am now thankfully heading in the right direction
    @kazoo I am so glad you had a lovely visit with your mum and dad, this is such a difficult time for the elderly
    @songbirdme sounds like you had a great long weekend as well
    @snowflake56 you certainly are experimenting with your fabrics

Pocket list Day 8
    @kazoo
    @ccco
    @daffodil2010
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol
    @bellyblast

ZBC day 8 🚫🍳
    @kazoo
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @northerndawn
    @stitchincarol
    @bellyblast

DTF List Day 8
    @ccco
    @daffodil2010
    @bellyblast

@stitchincarol

Exercise 30×5 Day 8
    @kazoo
    @snowflake56 💃
    @northerndawn
    @stitchincarol

Day 8 USA(Illinois) NFD

Yesterday’s OMAD was good enough to get me to lose 2 pounds. This is what I have to do in maintenance. Today’s rainy and cold day has us going off to an Apple Orchard for cider and donuts to bring home to freeze. Hope to find a good lunch place while we are out.

I adore the interesting discussions we get into here. Everyone is so interesting!

Onward and downward.

Day 8 UK CD

So went to the meeting at work and only had one smallish slice of pizza so I consider that somewhat of a result! Planning on a green salad only later so hopefully not too big a dent in the day!

Day 8 UK NFD

Going well but going to have to be mindful over the next couple of days Braving the train up to London tomorrow to see my youngest son Not seen him since February so super excited Staying overnight so there will be plenty of opportunities for food/drink Just going to try my best

Day 8 North canton OH WFD

I feel like my mojo is firmly on board after an indulgent labor day weekend. Hello there mojo 😎

@emma Taylor I owe you huge thanks for sharing about the grounding sheet, it has made a huge difference for my sleep and I am not as achy after exercising. Last night was the first time that I did not sleep as well but that was probably due to eating later than usual. This has been a game-changer for me so far. @stitchincarol I also bought one for my eldest, who struggles with insomnia and anxiety, I am hoping it helps her. That will be the true test IMHO

@kazoo, I got mine from Amazon. I have a flat sheet that comes up to shoulder height, it came with weird little clips that I use to secure it to my fitted sheet. It stays on pretty well, although I am a bit of a neat freak and I make sure to straighten it out every morning. I usually sleep in a nightgown that stops just above the knees anyway but I stopped wearing socks to bed, and I have been able to convince OH to sleep with no socks. I never thought I would see the day, but he has reported better sleep as well.

I am only 45 and not a single gray hair in sight and don’t expect to see any for the next little while. My dad is in his 60s and still not gray, his mom began to grey when she turned 70…Would I color if I turned gray? Not sure but probably. I am way too vain and I enjoy looking younger than I really am (being honest)

@annabelle48 I am ready to gird my loins with you and get serious about losing the extra padding and that means I have to step on the scale in the morning. I gotta do it!

@i hatelettuce congratulations on the 40 pound loss – So awesome!✨👏👏👏

@northgeorgia what a great set of tips on how clothes are supposed to fit! OH likes loose fitting shirts and I have tried to get him away from them-but no dice

Like @northerndawn clothing is my motivator, I have a closet full of clothes that were carefully selected over the years at great cost to my pocket. I started with the timeless and classic basics and kept layering and now I have amassed a wardrobe that I get complimented on often – it was quite a process getting here and I don’t intend to start over. Right now my clothes fit too snugly and that is a huge red flag for me and a sign that I need to kick things into gear.

@superlambanana welcome! One fast day at a time and you will get back into it

Pocket list Day 8
    @kazoo
    @ccco
    @daffodil2010
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol
    @bellyblast
    @basyjames WFD

ZBC day 8 🚫🍳
    @kazoo
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @northerndawn
    @stitchincarol
    @bellyblast
    @basyjames

DTF List Day 8
    @ccco
    @daffodil2010
    @bellyblast
    @basyjames

@stitchincarol

Exercise 30×5 Day 8
    @kazoo
    @snowflake56 💃
    @northerndawn
    @stitchincarol
    @basyjames

Day 8 OMAD Rome

@Basyjamed – you are welcome, although I’ve no idea how I dropped on that book, and video on YouTube. It does seem slightly bonkers that something so simple can have such a big effect. My husband, who also takes a lot of persuading, keeps pointing to areas of grass and saying – ‘ we could ground ourselves there’. I have no idea why he’s been so receptive, as he’s quite good at pouring cold water on more ‘out there’ ideas. Maybe his knees are better for it. They were very swollen, and he thinks he might have to have knee replacements, but at the moment the swelling has gone down, so could be that.
    Too much wine being imbibed here. I’m cross with myself for overdoing it, and I can see that I’ve put some weight back on. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Day 9, NFD, Aus

I’m away with work – not doing fast days but still doing ZBC and trying to be mindful. My suit skirt does feel a little looser so that’s good!

@kazoo, I know it’s not the same has with humans, but I’ve been watching my beloved old dog deteriorate the last few months in terms of mobility. Her spirit is still there, but it’s still heartbreaking to see how quickly she’s going downhill.. I’m glad you were able to see your folks – nothing like being in their physical presence to stay connected.

Welcome @superlambanana. We are a great and interesting forum – even if I do say so myself! I do a LFD where all I consume is: coffee with milk (I could NOT do my day without caffeine), water and occasionally a stock cube / bullion hot water drink. Apart from alcohol (!) I think you can make up your own “rules” about what’s acceptable for a LFD.

I am enjoying your tips @northgeorgia. I really should dig out some photos of me when I was 10kg heavier. I can’t believe I weighed that much more when I still feel so overweight. A photo would be a good reminder of how far I’ve come.

I’ve fallen out of the Leslie habit. Keep mentioning her and perhaps I’ll find the motivation to resume!

Happy Wednesday everyone. I do miss Brad’s camels…..

Virginia, US Day 8

back to work today and humidity is back too.
    it is very comforting to read the posts how life goes on in different corners of the world.
    @stitchincarol – do you like to can peaches? are they yellow or white peaches? the white ones are my favorite and they are very good now at the Whole Foods. i eat too much of them.
    Today is a regular day for me: – cappuccino, rice, vegetables and white peaches.
    l8r

@penz – I am seeing too many photos of me before my 35-40 pound loss of a few years ago. I keep saying “Am I ever glad I lost weight. I sure do look fat there.” I was that heavy long enough that it would take some real digging to find some photos of when I weighed what I do now!

Day 9, Emden Germany, NFD

Today I’m trying to make a dress from the table cloth I dyed a few days ago. I don’t have a pattern so I’ll take a dress I have and lay it on the fabric and then cut it out. It will need a zipper because it’s a cotton. Meanwhile I found out that the silk I have on a roll is called rinzu silk, it seems to be used to make kimonos (or is the plural kimono?), that’s why it has the unusual width.

@betsylee I loved your summary!

@bellyblast I wasn’t very succesful with my dyeing experiments. I’ll have try out more.

@stitchincarol How do you can peaches, what kind of liquid do you use? We picked the first peaches in our friends garden last week and plan to pick the remaining ones this Friday. Some of them are still quite sour but they are starting to rot because of the rain.

@northgeorgia I measure myself at the end/start of each month, at this weight it doesn’t change much on the body but I watch strap and my ring are more comfortable to wear now.

@penz Are you still a member of the ZBC every day? Perhaps just do the 1 mile Leslie Sansone, it’s only ~ 15 min.

I really like the every day lists, when I’m on it, it usually do it.

ZBC day 9
    @penz
    @snowflake56

Exercise 30×5
    @snowflake56 💃

Day 9 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

Going for a B2B, my DH is all on for healthy eating, no white carbs, no booze this week so I have got to take advantage of his mojo and follow the course 😄

Though I woke up last night really really hungry. I didn’t get up to eat anything, but even after lots of water this morning I am still hungry. Just had a small glass of kefir before my morning coffee and hope that will sustain me until lunch. Strange how I am rarely hungry early in the day but I felt like I was starving last night. Strange.

@northgeorgia this is my measuring tip to boost motivation. Measure your waist as it is now, then put the tape out to the measurement you where when you started….and revel in the expanse of air between the two 👍

The grounding sheet I bought was from Amazon, can’t remember the brand but it was cheap enough, just over €50 so I was concerned at the beginning that I had bought a cheap knock off. It seems to be working though.

I have ordered pads and a mat (to be used under the keyboard or underfoot) from http://Www.groundology.com who say they have the official stuff sanctioned by Clint Ober (I guess he is the Michael Moseley of earthing) and they are due today. I will let you know how and if they work.

@EmmaTaylor so myself and DH watched the YouTube video together on Vruday and he was very much eyes to heaven beforehand and I had to promise him if it was bad that we would switch off. Within twenty minutes he was barefoot (we have tiled floor so we can ground at home 😄) and he doesn’t say anything now about the sheet.

Yes, it’s kind of bonkers but definitely real.

Have a great Hump Day. Visualise those camels.

Day 8. Northern Ireland. LFD

Day 3 for me after joining the forum on Monday and doing a liquid fast, then a non fast day yesterday. I overate a little bit so have decided to do another LFD today even though I used to do Mondays and Thursdays to try and kickstart myself back into the routine. I also had two glasses of red wine with my tea last night so clearly I am not ready for DTF yet!

I’d love to do another liquid fast on Friday to really get this thing going, but the lure of a nice tea with wine on Friday evening will probably scupper that.

I’ve been blaming a very busy job for my mindless eating in the last 6 months, but of course the great thing about fasting is the extra time it gives me so I must try to focus on that!

Have a good day all!

Day 9, London, UK, LFD,

I’m going for another LFD today, I think yesterday’s NFD went very well😊, 2 meals, Pilates, a walk with Leslie, NO snacking & NO vino, just planning properly helped me stay below my goal weight TDEE; just the thought of reversing my LFD efforts😱 is keeping me honest too😎!!!

Thanks everyone for the grounding sheet info, I’m still looking into it as I actually sleep very well and the grounding outdoors on the grass appeals to me so much more ………………………………… I’ll update you when it’s -5 degrees and snowing outside😜!!!

Good to see you back @penz & @basyjames, it’s been a slower start for a lot of us, I blame the weather although taking things a bit easier has meant no pressure and my mojo happily complying!!! As I say sometimes …………………….. Go gently🙏!!!

My friend has booked us a table in our favourite Thai restaurant on Friday😲, life IS for living, but I truly didn’t want to test my pledge for Dry September quite so soon😳!!! @northerndawn, I’ll think of you over the next couple of days so I can strengthen my armour in preparation 🐉, we’re a team after-all and there’s no rule that says I HAVE to drink booze with a meal out …………………………….. unless it’s pasta, obviously😜!!!!

@superlambanana, I think you’ve lost a day somewhere – Day 9😝!! Who would have thought we spend soooo much time eating, I’m always amazed at just how productive I am on a FD 🙌. Perhaps it’s because I try to keep so busy that eating doesn’t become the only thing on my mind!!!

@i-hate-lettuce, I hope you’re just busy bimbling in the garden🙏, I’ll patiently wait for your ‘update from the lakes’ in due course😝!!

@at, I hope you’re just lurking and will pop in from time to time, so ……………………………………..

“If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 9 NFD UK

Definitely a NFD as out to lunch and plan to enjoy. Not doing well so far but………heigh ho that’s life.

Does anyone know where I can get a Sat Nav for scales? Mine are going in the wrong direction’!!!!!!!!!

D9 FD UK Lake District

Feeling rather deflated this morning like something has popped my bubble.

Yesterday was a FD for me and everything was fine until about 2pm when I thought I want (not need) something to eat. I thought just have something and then I’d be OK but that opened the flood gates and I just couldn’t stop. I knew what I was doing but had no control. I went to bed feeling stuffed and bloated and now this morning feel really fed up and can’t be bothered. I am trying not to let this run over to more than one day which is what I would normally do. Been doing well since 21st August (I keep a note of these episodes in my diary) but it seems to be a recurring pattern. Is it my body telling me that I need more calories or my mind just playing tricks? I am trying not to have anything to eat now as I am still in my fasting window till lunch time. Sorry for the moan but hope that if I see my feelings in writing it might get me through the day.

@stitchincarol I’m sat here thinking should I walk with Leslie. Didn’t do our evening walk yesterday as it was pouring with rain. I like the idea of putting a minimum number of steps in as opposed to always trying to always reach the maximum. Some days you just can’t fit them all in. Regarding the earthling pad under you feet, I’m no expert (still waiting for my sheet to be delivered) but from what I have read it shouldn’t make you sleepy. It is just like walking on grass ‘grounded’.

@bellyblast I am so glad we visited mum and dad. There were seven of us for lunch and it has been announced today that from Monday our rules on groups is changing to a maximum of six, which means I cant see my parents and my brother at the same time. Let’s hope is its soon lifted.

@brightonbelle Enjoy your time with your son.

@basyjames I have ordered a grounding sheet but it has not been delivered yet. Perhaps we should start a pocket list .

@flourbaby I was wondering where @at was. I wondered if she was away and I had missed the post.

@annabelle Try Amazon for a sat nav for your scales they seem to sell everything else. You could always tie a piece of string to them and take them a walk. Enjoy your lunch.

Pocket list D9
    @kazoo

ZBC day 9
    @penz
    @snowflake56
    @kazoo

Exercise 30×5
    @snowflake56 💃

Day 9 – USA/GA – NFD

I had an excellent FD yesterday and didn’t eat anything until about 6:30 pm! I had almost told myself “why bother so late,” but I had never done that before and was already getting some headaches. I certainly didn’t eat up to my 500 calories. Back down to 245 lbs.

@kazoo Don’t worry! You’re back on for today and you have lots of support here! I often have the want/need talk with myself, although more on the NFDs. In fact, yesterday, I decided I need to stop sabotaging my NFDs by cooking some delicious, healthier stuff for my NFDs. So instead of grabbing the last pieces of supermarket fried chicken tonight and Doritos (I don’t know what I would eat, actually, but probably not too far off course if I’m honest), I am crockpotting some carrots, potatoes, celery, onion and a little pork in chicken broth and onion soup mix. The goal is to have some delicious leftovers that I can freeze up, too.

Today’s question is how has the 5:2 made you more “salubrious?” I have personally been pleasantly surprised to discover that it is a slow but deliberate educational process on how to make healthier choices in life, how to retrain your brain and stomach about what it needs vs. what it wants (and when it wants it), the value of exercise, and most important, that internal motivation that elevates self-esteem and positive thinking about the future.

Some examples, in addition to replacing some of my meals with healthier choices include a reduction in EE, feeling fuller faster on NFDs, lots of thoughts on portion control, rethinking snacking and eating after 8 pm, drinking water to stay hydrated instead of the other choices, trying to get in some good exercise at least three times a week, saving a lot of money at the grocery store, and just imagining myself at my ideal weight and knowing it is actually possible!

Day 9 Canada NFD

Quick check in. Yesterday’s FD went out the window, like you @kazoo I just had an overwhelming desire to eat. Well it happened and will probably happen again some time so on with today.

I did a Lesly workout yesterday for the first time, what a motivator! I can see why she is so popular here….

USA. Day 9. FD

Yesterday’s FD went well but this morning the scale said I was sup a pound, so today I am adding myself to all the lists. I am amazed I am finding DTF very easy this time around! This might just be my benchmark month!

Pocket list D9
    @kazoo
    @ccco

ZBC day 9
    @penz
    @snowflake56
    @kazoo
    @ccco

My exercise today will be walking my grandson in his stroller. He loves that! Also, running around to keep up with him now that he is walking (more like running!).

Have a great day everyone!

Day 9 North canton OH LFD
    I stepped on the scale, its official –I have 13 pounds to lose to get to my goal weight of 155 pounds. I have been pretty careless and cavalier about sticking to plan. Usually once I begin to experience success, I self-sabotage; there is always an excuse and I am tired of it. I intend to follow my plan faithfully and hold myself accountable. Temptations abound, yes! But at what cost? The no’s are necessary to get to my yes.So here we go again. Onward!
    @superlambanana agree, fasting does provide lots of extra time. How did you come about your name?
    @flourbaby thanks! It feels good to commit. I have been lurking just not posting in a dedicated fashion, and I am determined to undo that
    @kazoo I understand how you are feeling, please be encouraged! Our missteps can be a guide to success in the future if we identify our patterns and make the effort to break them. You are ahead because you have identified your pattern, now take active steps to break them.
    I realized that I was doing the same thing, I would diligently follow my plan, make progress, and once my goal was in sight; relax, celebrate prematurely and backslide. Do not be discouraged- You’ve got this
    Pocket list D9
    @kazoo
    @ccco
    @basyjames

ZBC day 9
    @penz
    @snowflake56
    @kazoo
    @basyjames
    @ccco

Day 9 – Rural Nebraska, USA – Fast5

Why is it that mojo appears in spades and then is entirely gone?? What is the factor(s) that influences such dramatic swings of motivation?

Last week, I could have fasted myself all the way to Thanksgiving (4th Thursday in November). This week? I couldn’t figure out why I cared. I’m using past tense (“couldn’t” rather than “can’t”) because I think I have it back a smidge this morning. But where’d it go, and WHY?? So strange. I have to give all of you the credit. I kept thinking how I couldn’t stand the thought of admitting to you all how badly I fell off the wagon, so I held on, but only by a thread. So instead of 500 calories, I think I hit 1,000–I was in no mood to actually count calories, you know. At least I swerved the beer that was calling my name. And I did Leslie. And I did 6K (my self-imposed daily minimum). And the scale is down again this morning after being up after the sodium on Sunday and the beer on Monday.

But, again, WHY? We’ve all experienced this. What in the world causes it??

@EmmaTaylor, @basyjames, I finally bought a mat yesterday. After lots of looking and reading of reviews on Amazon, I bought the kind you put your feet on while seated. My thought is to use it myself and see what changes I discover, and then use that information to inform what I buy for DS. Perhaps I’ll simply give this one to him PLUS a bed sheet. @basyjames, I’ll be eager to hear what impact it has for your DD.

@EmmaTaylor, you need to simply enjoy yourself and not worry about added weight. Rome is Rome; FDs and DTF are for home. We’re all vacationing vicariously with you, so please enjoy yourself enough for all of us! 🙂
    @alisa253, peaches are so simple to can that I don’t mind it at all. We don’t actually eat them that fast once they’re canned (I might pull them out for Sunday brunch, but mostly all the bells and whistles are going off in the back of my mind pointing out how many calories are involved in them, LOL), but my 30 pounds of yellow peaches will make 10-15 quarts, and those will last us two years and perhaps even a third year, although that’s probably pushing the safety limits of home-canned fruit. And, honestly, if you have a piece of home-canned peaches and a piece of commercially canned peaches, you are tasting two entirely different peaches. Entirely. Your food for today sounds delightful!
    @snowflake56, these peaches are small enough that I think I’ll be able to simply cut them in half and put the full halves in the jar; in the past, my peaches have been large enough that I had to quarter them. I’ll use a light syrup of 2.25 cups sugar to 5.25 cups water, leaving .5″ headspace, and process my quarts for 30 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Have you canned before? Have a canner? Know the difference between cold-pack and hot-pack?
    @daffodil2010, we gotta love when our OHs are motivated! Mine is too thin to be of much help to me most of the time, LOL. And to be so hungry that you even wake up in the middle of the night? Strange, indeed!
    @kazoo, I just read your post about over eating yesterday. And you as well, @bellyblast! Maybe it’s something about being the 8th of September????? And your suggestion that @annabelle48 needs to take her scale on a walk so it’ll go down made me laugh out loud! But, for the record, I’ve begun recognizing that the earlier I meet up with Leslie, the more motivation I have for the day. Maybe. But I think ’tis true.
    @northgeorgia, congratulations on a good FD yesterday! As to your question…I’m far more aware of how much humans actually NEED to eat as opposed to how much they CHOOSE to eat, making me wide-eyed in astonishment when I’m eating with other people and see how much they put down. I can no longer imagine going through life that bloated, so that’s a definite advantage.

Pocket list D9
    @kazoo
    @ccco
    @basyjames

ZBC day 9
    @penz
    @snowflake56
    @kazoo
    @basyjames
    @ccco
    @stitchincarol

Exercise 5×30 Day 9
    @stitchincarol

It’s currently 50 degrees colder than it was last Saturday. Yeah, that’s no typo. Behaving food-wise is definitely harder in cold weather. So let’s bring on the mojo and hold tight to each other on the wagon!

Second post

@stitchincarol that is the question. If I could bottle mojo- and sell it, I would be a zillionaire. Thankful for this forum though, I have found my mojo hiding here, time and time again. Pesky little furball!!

Virginia, US Day Nine
    Rainy day today in Richmond,VA.
    I went to cycling class at 5:: am – early! today was the first day of 5am class. the club is back to early classes, it was easier to show up at 6:, oh, well, i did it! i will do some stretching (yin yoga) later, it feels so good.
    Eating normal today, had white peaches in the morning.

@kazoo – i listened very good webinar about Cramming Food phenomenon. if you
    are interested to know why you ( and many more of us) cram food, here is the link. i listen to Dr. Doug Lisle a lot, he is a good speaker.
    https://youtu.be/aRcO9uvCRlA

have a good day.

Hi everyone,

@flourbaby

Thanks for your comment, I’d love to be bimbling in the garden, but no.
    Life’s bungee jump has got us tied up in knots.

The surgery a couple of weeks ago hasn’t produced a good result, so been AWOL since Monday, have a lot to get my head round. Surgeon ‘phoned me yesterday and wants me back in this week for another round of surgery.

I don’t want to be a negative influence on this fabulous group, so think I’m better taking a break for a while. Thank you for all the recent good wishes and support.

Hopefully won’t be away too long, but will keep you all in my thoughts.

Take care all.

Day 9 Minnesota, USA FD

Yesterday was a NFD but stayed under 1000 cals. Home made pizza at 4:40pm, two pieces of Lindt dark chocolate (sea salt), and a Gala apple at 8 pm (kind of late, but kept me from something worse later on).

@stitchincarol It is cold here! 45F. Time for warm soups. It’ll be hot again next week, though. Glad I got my houseplants in a couple days ago because we have a frost advisory for tonight.
    @flourbaby I’m thinking of you! Love Thai food, and that’s enough of a treat without the vino! I’ve realized that if I have any alcohol even twice a week, that it kind of messes up my appetite for 4 out of the 7 days of the week. That effectively ruins my best efforts at fasting and exercising. Certainly slows everything down, and that opens me up to disappointment and impatience with weight loss. Not worth it.
    @kazoo I’ve realized over the years of doing 5:2 that hunger is a sign that my body is trying to hold on to it’s fat store……don’t succumb! Force it to burn that fat that you don’t need anyway. You’ll find that the scales are down within a few days or so.

Pocket list D9
    @kazoo
    @ccco
    @basyjames
    @northerndawn

ZBC day 9
    @penz
    @snowflake56
    @kazoo
    @basyjames
    @ccco
    @stitchincarol
    @northerndawn

Exercise 5×30 Day 9
    @stitchincarol
    @northerndawn

Good luck!

Day 9 OMAD Rome

@stitchincarol – that’s what got me into trouble in the first place!!! Since DH and I both retired about 4 years ago, we’ve been taking more and more holidays. Last year we spent about 6 months away. Great fun, but I got fatter and fatter….. so gotta exercise a bit of control. But rest assured we are having a brilliant time 😁😁😁

2nd post.
    @ihatelettuce – thinking of you and hoping you soon get better. Sorry to hear the surgery wasn’t as good as it should have been. Please let us know how you are and best wishes to Mrs IHL.

Day 9 USA (Illinois) NFD

Silver Sneakers this morning for great workout. So glad we can meet at an indoor tennis center for proper distancing.

Onward and downward.

2nd post
    @i-hate-lettuce Sorry to have you leave the forum….I don’t think you could bring the mood down here because you have always been an optimist and dealt with your challenges with humor and good grace. But if you can’t always muster a positive mood, that’s all right, too. We all feel better after a moan sometimes.
    It sounds like maybe they didn’t get clear margins around the “specimen” they excised, so you will need a bit more taken. Hopefully, not too much more. Fingers crossed for you and Mrs.ILH, and will be thinking of you. Post when you want to keep us up to date. Best of luck!

Day 9 UK FD

Late check in on a good FD! Fasted till dinner and had salad with mackerel fillet. That was it for the day. Hopefully I’m back on track this month.

Second post. (Am i doing this right?! – day, place, type of day first then ‘second post’ etc after that?)

Late update from me. I had a fairly successful LFD, except for a stupid lapse when I was offered a bun at a (socially distanced) meeting earlier, accepted and ate the damn thing before it dawned on me I was supposed to be fasting! Thankfully it didn’t break my fast as I know that can happen easily when i eat something. I tend to go ‘oh well today is a write off, I’ll start again tomorrow’ but have managed to avoid eating anything else since the evil bun 👿 😝

@stitchincarol your musing on how and why motivation or mojo waxes and wanes is something that interests me too. Why did i just decide this week to start fasting again after a year of not doing it, and manys a week of thinking I should start again but not having the willpower? Why didn’t i lapse after eating the bun today? Who knows. As a woman, i wonder if its hormonal for me. Is there a certain time of the month when motivation is easier to find? Dunno.

@flourbaby Oh yes! I really am dizzy headed – day 9 not 8. Actually only day 3 for me you see so that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it! 🤣

@kazoo. I think its both your body telling you you need more calories and your mind playing tricks. Both are tricks and neither is your fault- its bloody biology unfortunately. The body will take food and store fat wherever and whenever possible and the mind will help by letting the devil on our shoulder whisper in our ear. Don’t give it a second thought, just look forward.

@basyjames the superlambanana is a big yellow piece of public art in Liverpool which is half a lamb and half a banana. There’s probably an arty back story, but my reason for choosing it as a name is that it has quite a large backside! And it also looks quite cool! 😀

Well done to everyone who had a good day today! Hump day over! 👍

I’ll go back to NFD from tomorrow until Monday again, so while I might check in over the next few days, don’t think I’ve dropped out already – i will return properly on Monday to catch up and hear more about these ground sheet things you all seem to be waiting for in the post!

Second post

@superlambanana You’re doing it right! ☆

Day 11, NFD, Aus

Hi @snowflake56. Yes, still a member of the ZBC no matter what day it is. And you’re right, even a 15 min Leslie date would ease me back into the habit.

@stitchincarol. Me too. If I can get out for a morning walk before I start the day, I’m so much more awake and motivated. Now that spring is here and it’s getting light earlier, I’m planning on resuming my old routine. I know the dogs will be happy.

@Ihatelettuce – you are so not a negative influence on us. Stay with us!! We can be a nice positive influence on you!! Cross fingers the next round under the knife is a success. Thinking of you even if you don’t check back in for a while.

Day 10 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Though @penz had me thinking it was Friday already with Day 11……I know you are ahead of us time-wise Down Under but not that much 😆😆

Having a bad time with FD’s, I am not going to lie. The day is usually grand but it’s getting through evening meal that’s hard. I am not giving up, but I am taking it gently until I figure out how to find that mojo……and @annabelle48 I burst out laughing at that request for a Sat Nav for your scales 😄.. Luckily mine are staying relatively stable while the pesky mojo furball goes missing.

So, grounding…..I am sitting here right now with my feet on a grounding mat and a grounding patch on my sore neck (suffering badly recently with neck pain, it might be. Rotary cuff thing, and it certainly doesn’t hurt as much since I bought the grounding sheet last week), so hoping to be able to report something positive soon.

I am testing the earthing/grounding patches on myself first before I try them on my Dad. I plan to drop him down the earthing mat this weekend and show my brother how to hook it up. Cos it looks like restrictions are going to come in for visiting in Dublin due to a spike in Covid, I need to get this visit in soon.

@i-hate-lettuce your strength and optimism has been great on this forum and we will be thinking of you as you go through this. Be assured the positivity you always engender will be missed here. Best of wishes.

@superlambanana I definitely believe hormones have a huge influence on motivation.

Have a lovely Thursday everyone. One more week then I am on vacation, yay!!! Staycationing around Ireland in our self-built camper van with all the mod cons and I CANNOT wait!!!!!! 👍

Day 10, Emden Germany, FD

I did it, I made my first dress! It fits really well, I had problems getting the side zipper in with the sewing machine so I did it by hand. The only thing I’ll have to change are the shoulders/sleeves but that’s just a small adjustment. It’s a wearable piece and I’m going to wear it tomorrow then we’re having our usuall Friday tea with our friends.

@i-hate-lettuce I’m so sorry to hear your news. I don’t think your posts will ever have a negative influence to us but if you feel it’s better for you to take a break then do so. I hope you keep us informed, you belong to us now. Meanwhile I’ll be thinking of you and Mrs. IHL.

@daffodil2010 It’s so much easier if the DH’s are on board as well isn’t it? Mine is more enthousiastic than I am at the moment so it good to have him with me on this. Try to get your motivation back, you know it’s worth doing it, you’ll feel so much better.

@kazoo and @bellyblast It just happens to all of us but it’s so disappointing when it does. I often wonder, didn’t I learn anything over the past years? I seem to do well for a while and suddenly everything changes and all my good intentions are gone. Like @basyjames I often start to eat more and more by the time I’ve almost reached my goal. I sometimes think, do I really want to reach my goal or am I secretly thinking I’m fine the way I am?

@brightonbelle I hope you had a lovely time with your son.

@stitchingcarol I never canned anything before but I make jam and marmalade. My friend has a canning pot but never does fruits. I don’t want it to be so sweet butas the peaches are quite sour we’ll have to use sugar I think. I guess raw canning is with uncooked peaches and hot canning is with cooked peaches like making jam. I don’t want the peaches to be too soft and falling apart so perhaps it’s better to put them in the jars raw.

@northerndawn The only thing I do now is eating less, esp. less sugary things.

@penz I also skip my breakfast every day, it’s easy if you’re used to it. I try to do some kind of sport every day and 15 min. of LS always goes even if I’m tired.

Pocket list day 10
    @snowflake56

ZBC day 10
    @penz
    @snowflake56

Exercise 30×5 day 10
    @snowflake56 🤸‍♀

Day 10 OMAD Rome

@snowflake56 – you did it! That’s just brilliant. I bet you get lots of nice comments from your friends. I can’t believe you did it so quickly.
    On the subject of not being able to stop eating, I remember Gin Stephens in her book about OMAD saying something about the reason babies need feeding every few hours is precisely because they WANT to put on weight. Or rather, nature wants them to put on weight. I could do with remembering that….

Day 10, London, UK, NFD

Another well-deserved NFD of PFDS😇 after yesterday’s LFD. Still not enough water, but slowly does it 🐢, I will get to my 3L aim………………. Eventually!!!

@i-hate-lettuce, thinking of you & Mrs IHL, sending you some serious healing vibes, mojo, good luck & anything else you need, keep the faith, stay strong, we’ll see you when you’re up to dealing with us and our usual ramblings again!!! ………………“Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.” – Walt Whitman

@northerndawn, I’m going to repeat it until it sticks regarding the vino 🍷 …………………………… “IT’S NOT WORTH IT!!!”

That’s the dangerous stuff that piled on the lbs in the first place @superlambanana ………………………………… unconscious, mindless face stuffing!!!! If you’re like me, you probably didn’t even savour the flavour of that bun!!!! Loving the name and, dare I say, the reasons for choosing it ……………………….. either its backside or its coolness😜😂😝!!!!

Stay strong everyone, 1/3 of the way through this challenge, time to reset, minimise the wobbles & shore up our defences💪…………………….. that fat fairy is never too far away …………….. the witch!!!!! …………….. yes, that’s a typo!!!

Day 10 – USA/GA – FD

Well, the summer heat is firing up again down here, which isn’t that unusual. But it means I need to start drinking a lot more water. It seems obvious my body is getting a lot more thirsty! Yesterday’s NFD resulted in a jump of 2 lbs, back up to 247. That’s happened three times this month. Yeah, food doesn’t do that in a day — water retention does! I will keep that in mind today and into the weekend.

I’m definitely on a plateau, as the weight has stayed about the same since August 20. However, looking at the graph, if I hit 245 tomorrow, then I should begin to see a slow movement downward. I hit a plateau of similar length in July before a slight drop then a sudden fall. Gotta keep on keeping on!

Today’s question: Do you plot your weight on a chart? Do you notice any long-term trends in your weight loss journey?

For me, I noticed I lost weight fairly quickly the first couple of months, and recently, the trend is about 20 days of bouncing up and down on a plateau before noticing a quick drop downward onto the next plateau. The data also tells me that despite my emotional frustration of a plateau, the trend is downward each month.

Pocket list day 10
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia

ZBC day 10
    @penz
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia

Exercise 30×5 day 10
    @snowflake56 🤸‍♀

USA. Day 10 FD

Pocket list day 10
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @ccco

ZBC day 10
    @penz
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @ccco

DTF
    coco

I have lost 4 lbs. so far this month and I greatly attribute it to the fact that I have gone DTF! I hope everyone has. a great day!

Day 10 North Canton OH LFD
    I felt really tired quite weak yesterday so I packed up and went home a little early and spent the rest of the day in bed. I feel better today and I am also scheduled to donate blood today
    @i hate lettuce, you are so thoughtful and never a drag and we would love to support you during this time. However, not posting may be one less thing to worry about, so completely understood! You and Mrs. IHL will stay in our thoughts and prayers until you return. I have often wondered, does she hate lettuce too?
    @Superlambana that is quite a story LOL love the name!
    @northgeorgia I have plotted my weight on a graph in the past, I used an app and it was really nice to see the visual and note the trend. I quite liked it but lately have not been consistent with checking my weight on a scale; that is one of the things I have incorporated in my plan to “lose the 13”
    Duty Calls- See you tomorrow

Pocket list day 10
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @ccco
    @basyjames

ZBC day 10
    @penz
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @ccco
    @basyjames

DTF
    coco

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 549 total)

You must be logged in to reply.