Running & 5:2

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  foodfreedomgirl 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• I’d like to do the 5:2 diet. I run 3 times a week in the mornings (Tues & thurs are longer runs and Saturday normally a 5K Parkrun or similar. I don’t eat breakfast before I run. Will it be OK if I eat breakfast & lunch on Monday then start my fast straight after lunch from 1pm then eat nothing for dinner. Go to bed early. Tues: Get up, run, return home and then have a sub 500 cal lunch. Then a normal dinner.
    Weds:breakfast & lunch start fasting again after lunch. Go to bed early.
    Thurs: run in the morning, eat sub 500 cal lunch, then normal dinner.

Mon breakfast lunch then fast from 1pm (early night)
    Tues Run, fast until 12 noon then have a post run sub 500 cal meal, then dinner
    Weds Breakfast, lunch then fast from 1pm (early night)
    Thurs Run, fast until noon then have a post run sub 500 cal meal, then dinner
    Fri normal eating
    Sat Run & normal eating
    Sun Normal eating

Do you think this would work?

5:2 means two days per week when you only eat 500 calories from when you get up until when you go to bed so unless your breakfast and lunch only days are less than 500 calories or you eat a sub 500 calorie meal after your run and nothing else until the following day it isn’t 5:2 and it won’t work.

Thanks for your reply. There are 7 x 24 hr periods and I will be eating sub 500 calories for two of those 24 hour periods. Why won’t it work?

Hi Caroline:

Actually, there are about 144 24 hour periods in a week – but only 7 days. You have described a standard every day reduced calorie diet. Just figure out how much weight you want to lose each week (say one pound, which equals 3500 cal.), divide by 7 (500) and insure you eat 500 cal. less than your TDEE each day and you should lose some weight.

You did not describe 5:2, which requires 2 approximately 36 hour periods each week where 500 cal. or less is eaten.

If you are interested in 5:2, here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Caroline, if you’re worried about mixing running and fasting, I say give it a go!

When I started fasting I used to run 2 or 3 mornings a week, never more than 5k but I was doing intervals running uphill, so quite intense. I found that fasting was much easier after a morning run.

Hi Caroline,

Running has been an important part of my 5:2 success template.

For me, the time window after lunch until dinner (approx 1 pm til 6 pm) during a fast day is a challenge as I can feel quite hungry. A 3-5 mile run has been a life saver in that it takes my mind off food, burns a few calories, and puts me into a post run low-hunger period. I did experiment w/running longer and didn’t like how I felt near the end of the run and the rest of the fast. I consume my 500 calorie FD allotment at supper so I can sleep better (36 hours w/no food is too long for me).

I dropped 30 lbs in four months and have kept it off; I normally run 3-5 x per week and am currently doing 6:1 as maintenance.

FWIW and best of luck to you!

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I have lots to learn about this diet. Your weight loss is very impressive. I’ll carry on doing what I described above (it seems to be working) and then I’ll tweak it as I better inform myself.

Thanks for the link and your reply. I have lots to learn.

Thanks, that’s very encouraging. I know what you mean about fasting being easier AFTER running. I choose to fast before as I don’t enjoy running after eating.

I had my first fast day today. I’ll break the fast tomorrow morning. It has felt surprisingly simple. I ran a 5K with my running club this morning and did a session in the gym this afternoon. The exercise helped break up a day that wasn’t punctuated with food.

I’m fasting again on Thursday and that is my long run day so I’ll run early in the morning.

CarolineHP, Are you still following this plan. It may not be a legit 5:2, but there are so many other fasting plans, 16/8 fast 16 hours of the day, with an 8 hour feeding window – that I’ve read about. I am curious to your results more than a month in!
    I am a runner starting the 5:2 again. I did it for a while last year, but got out of the habit. I found I did well with my 3-4 mile runs, even on fast days, but this year I am training for a half-marathon. It’s not my first, but it will be my first on IF. I have been collecting all the testimonials about IF and running that I can!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.