reversing type 2 diabetes & the fastday lifestyle

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
reversing type 2 diabetes & the fastday lifestyle

This topic contains 854 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  PeonyLover 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 861 total)

• Your Brain and How To Reverse Type 2 Diabetes

http://www.emaxhealth.com/1275/your-brain-and-how-reverse-type-2-diabetes

based on research here

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v503/n7474/full/nature12709.html

“Here’s why they make this claim.
    After reviewing animal and human research studies, they accumulated evidence that a brain-based regulatory system has an impact on blood glucose levels separate from the effect imparted by the islet cells and the pancreas.
    This brain-based system is responsible for nearly half of the ability of the body’s cells to take in (uptake) sugar while the pancreas system is responsible for the other portion.
    Thus, type 2 diabetes develops when this relationship fails”

♥ruthi♥

give this 2 ur insulin itching friends

dr fungs 3rd written lecture

☞☞☞I can make you fat…Insulin – Hormonal Obesity III☜☜☜

http://kidneylifescience.ca/dr-jason-fung/insulin-hormonal-obesity-iii/

still can’t believe ur friends want insulin?????

Hi USA, hope you are really getting over the nausea now. xx

“ALSO KEEPING FAIRLY LOW CARB ON FEAST DAYS”
    that’s prob why u have lost more in the beginning was not doing that dr fung’s really helped w/ dr mosley yay
    what is it now ur lbs?
    i mean it really is great what u loss so i’m looking 4ward 2 surpassing u in a friendly way
    but won’t know until 3 months from now 😀
    I THINK THAT’S TRUE. I HAD SOME SUCCESS WITH ATKINS LAST YEAR BUT LOST THE IMPETUS IN AUTUMN. IT WAS THE OLD THINK ABOUT HAVING TO EAT IN A CERTAIN WAY EVERY DAY. FOR ME THAT’S THE HIDDEN BEAUTY OF 5:2 – THE RESTRICTIONS ARE JUST FOR TODAY. NOT FOR EVERMORE AS WITH EVERY OTHER DIET.

I WAS 297lbs (Sounds like a WWF wrestler!)
    I AM TODAY 263lbs.
    AM AIMING FOR 220lbs
    BUT TO HAVE AN OVERWEIGHT BMI I’D HAVE TO BE 165lbs

I’M NOT THINKING ABOUT GETTING TO 165 AT THE MOMENT. THAT CHALLENGE IS TOO BIG TO COPE WITH AND I WANT TO SEE AT 220lbs WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH MY SKIN + HEALTH.

“I HAVE RECENTLY STARTED TAKING COENZYE Q10 SUPPLEMENTS”
    i only take it once a month a liquid 100ml
    because one of the biggest test i asked 4 was the cq10 defficiency & magnesium & potassium & vitamin d etc passed all yay
    I HAVEN’T HAD A TEST BUT AM HOPING IT WILL WORK AS ANTI-INFLAM. FINGERS CROSSED.

“THE ST JOHN’S WORT AS A HERBAL ANTI_DEPRESSANT THAT I FEEL I NEED AT THE MOMENT.”
    why r u ok?
    WELL I AM OK WHEN I TAKE IT LOL 🙂
    I PUT ON 70lBS AFTER A BEREAVEMENT SO I’M USING ST JOHN’s TO HELP THROUGH THE WINTER – ALWAYS A DIFFICULT PERIOD FOR ME. I SAW RECENTLY THAT ST JOHN’ CAN RAISE BP. STILL, FOR ME BETTER THAN ‘real’ ANTI DEPRESSANTS I FEEL.
    BECAUSE OF THE BP THING I STOPPED TAKING IT FOR A WHILE AND ANXIETY/ DESPONDENCY RETURNED AND THAT MAKES FASTING VERY, VERY HARD. SO A BIT OF A TIGHTROPE WALK.
    BUT I FEEL OK, IF I HAVE TO TAKE BP PILLS. I HAVE SEVERAL THIN FRIENDS OF MY AGE (55) WHO HAVE RAISED BP AND TAKE PILLS SO MY RAISED BP MAY OR MAY NOT BE WEIGHT RELATED. I’M NOT GOING TO STRESS ABOUT THAT AS MUCH AS DIABETES.

read the letters from dr fung 2 me on statins niacin
    I WILL BUT I HAVE DIFFICULTY FINDING THEM SOMETIMES. ON THIS THREAD I ASSUME?

anyway we r unhealthy twins of the same mind
    🙂

we feel think research & conclude on how we want 2 get of meds lose weight & be healthy & 4 u 2 be happy
    MY BROTHER HAD A STENT 3 YEARS AGO. TAKES STATINS + BP MEDS. NOW HAS VERY LOW CHOLESTEROL, V.GOOD BP. NOW AFTER ONLY 3 YEARS THE STENTS ARE CLOGGING AGAIN. HE IS 61. I WORRY ABOUT HIM.
    HOWEVER MUCH I READ AND THINK I ‘KNOW’ STILL IT WOULD BE DIFFICULT TO GO AGAINST GP’s ADVICE. THAT HUMAN DESIRE TO HAVE ‘SOMEONE’ WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING. WITHOUT THE INTERNET AND WWW. WE PROBABLY WOULD NOT BE ON THIS COURSE.

SENDING YOU A HUG 🙂
    THEY ARE, I BELIEVE (WITHOUT ANY EVIDENCE 😉 ANTI-INFLAMMATORY!

Hey USA, I’m glad you’re starting to feel better also. And, no, don’t know mood lipstick! I’m afraid to ask 😉

naturally, the more positive thoughts you have,
    the more positive you’ll feel.
    if you want to feel happy, think happy things.
    an unending stream of “happy thoughts” is not,
    however,
    necessary to reach your goal.
    motion and direction are. (so so true :D)

unknown

Just posting some thoughts really. Forgive this navel gazing. It helps me get my thoughts in order.

I was having a whine the other day about my weightloss, that has been going well had stopped abruptly after a bit of a small binge. So today feel very good that I am at a new low weight and have lost nearly 18 kilos. 1 kilo more than I had optimistically hoped for. This is the day after a fast so I know it is an artificial low, but I’m claiming it as mine! 😉
    So today I am bmi 46.4 instead of 52.7. I know it’s because I have so much to lose that it is going quickly.
    Anyway, previously I have been fasting on just water for 36 hours. But yesterday I had two cups of coffee in the evening (that’s always the hardest time for me). I had real coffee and real froffed milk with cocao powder. I keep reading how good cocoa powder is for you.
    I weigh every day to get clues about what different foods dows to my weight. So I’m wondering if nothing but coffee had a diuretic effect. Maybe.

My blip last week was, I think due to water retension rather than added fat. Over the last years I have had a terrible, terrible diet; crips choc, bread, pasta. YOu name it, if it was unhealthy, I ate it. And, in fact, although I put on a lot of weight, thinking about it, the weight didn’t go on so fast as I would have expected. So when I had a small, really a small, binge last week and put on 1.5 – 2 kilos it seemed to not fit in with the speed I had put the weight on previously. But losing it so quickly in the last few days makes me realise it was probably water retension rather than blubbe gain.

December is visit GP month and have blood tests 🙁 I’m wondering – well I’m rather sure she will want to put me onto bp pills. (153/96) Although it’s gone down a bit since I started 5:2 🙂 I’ve read that the often first bp pills doctors try are diuretics. So, what with 5:2 + low carb meaning that I already lose water quite well on fast days, I’m wondering what affect diuretic bp pills will have – artificially seeming to lose weight maybe?

I have so many thin friends who have high bp that it clearly may not always be weight related. There are many vascular problems in my family.

I feel much more hopeful about avoiding diabetes pills than bp pills.

Hi USA, hope you are feeling better. PS If you are not weighing, are you feeling a
    difference in your clothes? Someone asked me that and because I wear voluminous outer clothes, it’s hard to tell lol 🙂 xx

Speedy, your thin friends with high BP may not be eating or living all that well, despite being thin, so don’t be too pessimistic.

So, if the GP suggests pills, why don’t you ask him to wait a while, to see how much difference your 5:2 makes in the longer run? If you are losing weight and taking the pills, you won’t know which is doing it for you. It’ll give you a chance to research the drugs too, because from what I read for most folk they may be worse than the disease they treat. Mind you, I’m the woman that won’t accept the flu jab, so I am definitely on the ‘lets heal naturally’ end of the spectrum.

USA, where are you? How is the job, and how is the eating, or not?

Hi USA and other readers here, Good news!
    The 5:2 technical team here are really helpful!
    I asked them if we could have the possibility to have different coloured fonts for when we do long replies. This is their reply:

“We’re just now looking into adding some ways to change the text in the posts. It probably won’t happen until January, but we’ll keep in mind that this is something you’ve asked for!
    Thanks for the suggestion and glad you’re finding the forum useful!”

🙂

Ruthi, I thought I had replied? But can’t see it. Probably I put it on another forum by mistake!
    But yes, I do agree with what you said. I’m only unsure abour bp specifically as there is a lot of vascular problems in my immediate family.
    Dr Fung replied to a question that it may take more months of sustained weightloss to see bp and cholesterol improvements. So I’ll see how it goes at the appointment.
    My ideas about pills in general is very similar to yours!
    On the other hand, if I started with bp pills and continued to lose weight ant bp dropped, I’d be looking to stop the pills early next year. Then, although I wouldn’t know what was causing what, at least my bp wouldn’t be high in the meantime – yet I still have an aversion to these sort of general pills!
    Good day 🙂

I get where you are coming from, Speedy. Its all a matter of balancing risk and reward.

USA- are you there? We have been patient, but starting to worry…

I do remember mood lipstick, now that I was reminded…

piper

i have had a very bad cold 4 more than 3 weeks i just go 2 work sleep cough work sleep cough work

can’t wait till my brain is no longer fuzzy

thanks 4 caring all

can’t wait 2 read all eventually & reply

One Meal A Day Better For People With Type 2 Diabetes

interesting article don’t know about the whole grain 🙂

“the researchers wrote. “It is very interesting that the Mediterranean diet, without breakfast and with a massive lunch with wine, did not induce higher blood glucose levels than the low-fat diet lunch, despite such a large single meal.”

http://www.medicaldaily.com/one-meal-day-better-people-type-2-diabetes-264103

Speedy

that’s good news still have 2 reply 2 ur post

by that time it might have those features

low-carb mediterranean quiche

crust

flax seed meal
    egg white
    cauliflower chopperred 2 look rice
    skillet over medium heat. coat the pan w/ olive oil
    arranging even layer
    cook, without stirring, for 3 min
    flip, then let them cook another 3 min without moving them.
    once the all r evenly browned, cover the pan and cook another 3 to 4 min

mixture 2 pour

1 jalapeno pepper chopperred
    salt and ground black pepper
    eggs
    1 tblsp chopped fresh thyme
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/3 cup fat-free crumbled feta cheese
    black olives

pour all
    reduce heat 2 med-low cover the pan and cook for 3 min.
    sprinkle the feta over the quiche, then cover again and cook for another 3 to 4 min, or until the eggs r completely cooked

i have done w/ bacon/ mozzarella/ tomato / pizza spices

♥ruthi♥

not 100% yet do fast but not adf

still wheat free

job ok

USA just saying get better!

Hi USA, are you feeling better yet? I really hope so. It’s ‘orrible feeling poorly for so long. xx

I’m feeling nervous about my blood tests coming up next week. 🙁 I’d run out of those test strips so hadn’t tested my blood sugar for a few weeks.
    So bought a new contraption from Amazon, it came yesterday – along with my annual electricty bill 🙁 – the results were horrible. Much higher than I was expecting. 6.5 – 7.3. So I took a few tests straight after ech other and these were also very different, not just a couple of points. So I grabbed on to that hoping the apparatus was faulty.

But bought some new strips for my old meter and did a test this morning. And it was higher than I ‘d hoped: 6.1 fasting and 7.3 immediately after eating a low carb lunch.

Feel disappointed because I’ve lost 17 kilos since September – though still have a lot to lose.

Really feel like not doing a blood test next week becasue I don’t want bad results to push me into a black period over Christmas. That’s always a bad time of year for me. But I think I’d better do the tests. But try to keep in mind I haven’t been doing this for long and hope it’s a bit better after another 4 months.

Thing is, and this is why I’m realising that for me, although I’ve found a way to lose weight at about 1 kilo per week, and I’m happy with that, I really need to pay attention to what I am eating on feast days. It’s more or less low carb already but I’m thinking of adding a salad and nut day instead of a third fast day.
    A sort of half FAST. This as a half way house to Dr Fung’s ADF and Dr. M’s 5:2.
    I know my bp has not fallen so suspect neither will have my cholesterol nor triglycides.
    My aim is to get past my blood tests next week without a black dog finding me.

piper

the cold is still there not as bad but stuffy

Hi speedy, just saw your post and am just posting to give some tlc and support. Keep at it. Throw a stick for the black dog but throw it a long way so when it runs after it. the dog keeps running until it is out of sight.
    Good luck.

Hi USA- glad to see your name popping up! Take it easy and get better. You don’t have to rush.

SPEEDY
    CAPS INTERSPERSED THROUGH UR POST
    1ST OF ALL

I’M SENDING U ALL THE LOVE 2 SURROUND U CLOSE & FIERCE

Speedy wrote:

Hi USA, are you feeling better yet? I really hope so. It’s ‘orrible feeling poorly for so long. Xx

IT IS WEIRD THAT IT HAS BEEN THIS LONG THIS COLD
    EVERY TIME I’M THINKING IT IS GOING AWAY IT COMES BACK FULL FORCE

I’m feeling nervous about my blood tests coming up next week. 🙁 I’d run out of those test strips so hadn’t tested my blood sugar for a few weeks.
    So bought a new contraption from Amazon, it came yesterday – along with my annual electricty bill 🙁 – the results were horrible. Much higher than I was expecting. 6.5 – 7.3. So I took a few tests straight after ech other and these were also very different, not just a couple of points. So I grabbed on to that hoping the apparatus was faulty.

But bought some new strips for my old meter and did a test this morning. And it was higher than I ‘d hoped: 6.1 fasting and 7.3 immediately after eating a low carb lunch.

AAAAWWWW I WISH I COULD BE W/ U & GIVE U BIG BIG & HUGS
    DON’T FEEL NERVOUS. I’M HOLDING UR HAND. I DON’T USE THOSE STRIPS & MACHINES ANYMORE. I WILL BE POSTING DR FUNGS EMAILS I ASKED HIM ABOUT THAT

WHY SHOULD WE WHIP OUR SOULS CONSTANTLY W/ THOSE STRIPS

Feel disappointed because I’ve lost 17 kilos since September – though still have a lot to lose.

YAY YAY THAT IS 38 LBS REMEMBER THAT 😀

Really feel like not doing a blood test next week becasue I don’t want bad results to push me into a black period over Christmas. That’s always a bad time of year for me. But I think I’d better do the tests. But try to keep in mind I haven’t been doing this for long and hope it’s a bit better after another 4 months.

WHY IS IT A BAD TIME OF THE YEAR? YES DO THE TEST WE R WISHING U SUCCESS

Thing is, and this is why I’m realising that for me, although I’ve found a way to lose weight at about 1 kilo per week, and I’m happy with that, I really need to pay attention to what I am eating on feast days. It’s more or less low carb already but I’m thinking of adding a salad and nut day instead of a third fast day.
    A sort of half FAST. This as a half way house to Dr Fung’s ADF and Dr. M’s 5:2.

I LIKE UR IDEA OF SALAD & NUTS I’M GOING 2 ADD FULL FAT CHEESE & FULL FAT CAESAR

I know my bp has not fallen so suspect neither will have my cholesterol nor triglycides.

I;M REALIZING THAT TEST & GOALS R DIFFERENT
    I HAVE MET SO MANY DIABETICS THAT DO NOT LISTEN @ ALL TAKE SUGAR STARCH EVERYDAY CHEAT & CHEAT
    I THINK WE R INTELLIGENT ENOUGH 2 GET 2 OUR GOALS AND THAT THESE BRIEF TEST HAVE NOTHING 2 DO W/ IT
    IT IS THE GOALS AND OUR AWARENESS ON HOW 2 BECOME HEALTHY

My aim is to get past my blood tests next week without a black dog finding me.

NO BLACK DOG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    I REALLY UNDERSTAND HOW U R ON THE EDGE OF A CLIFF & LOOKING IN2 THAT DEPRESSION
    REMEMBER U R AN ONGOING SUCCESS BECAUSE U R DOING
    CALL UR SELF DO IT INCORPORATED
    DR FUNG HAS 2 NEW VIDEOS GOING 2 TRY 2 C THEM STILL HAVE NOT SEEN
    ♥RUTHIE’S♥

DR FUNG “I INTERVIEW 3 PATIENTS ABOUT THEIR EXPERIENCE IN THE INTENSIVE DIETARY MANAGEMENT PROGRAM AND HOW WE HAVE BEEN ABLE TO HELP THEM CONQUER THEIR DIABETES.”

They videos are entitled

Richard’s Story

http://kidneylifescience.us7.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=4f49b1bc5c73173b727fe0ca2&id=6101fcd266&e=2617e1f46b

Desmond and Balraj

http://kidneylifescience.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4f49b1bc5c73173b727fe0ca2&id=7be27d9b1e&e=2617e1f46b

& A NEW LECTURE

Revealed: The Ancient Remedy for Diabetes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAwgdX5VxGc&feature=youtu.be

HOPE THIS HELPS U & I

( )( )( )( ) (I HOPE THESE R HUGS)

piper

i miss u all so much

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 🙁

Ohh thank you Couscous. I’ll throw that stick a long way and run like mad! Great image. xx
    And great to hear from you USA. No pressure but we miss you on here. Really hope you kick this soon and are back to feeling well. xx

I think my panic before was caused because the new machine was probably faulty – sounds like an excuse I know (like: ‘it’s me glands’ or ‘I’ve got big bones!’ lol!)
    But testing today with new strips for my old machine and it looks better,goes up after eating then down again to 5.3 yah! Rather than the randon illogical, high results yesterday. I’ve asked Amazon if I can return it.

Winter is hard because I have a lot of sad anniversaries in November December and my partner and I used to have simply but great Christmases but since he died a couple of years ago at 51, well Chsistmas is a time I find quite empty. Not alone in that I know.
    But have resolved to repaint the living room over Christmas week this year! I just didn’t want to feel that the effort I’ve made on 5:2 was pushing blood levels the wrong way.

But thank you for the support both. It’s a good, serious forum. xx

speedy

again hugs hugs warmth hugs

what color r u going 2 paint the room

always always

u r welcomed 2 bug us as long as u want w/ sadness rants & thoughts

i welcome them i’m here 4u mayb not immediately 😀

ur efforts or mine might not show right away

but they will won’t they?

we have 2 accept the baby steps

take care

usa

It’s very diffucult for non-scientists to know what is good or bad science.
    I was listening to Dr Fung and he was explaining how double blind trials can be selectively chosen so, when it’s not your field, it’s very hard to know what is really going on. Sometimes scientists can be pretty fundamentalist!
    I read (probably here) that within 10 years of qualifying 50% of what a doctor was taught is out of date.

USA, it’s going to be just white because it’s not the lightest room in the middle of the day. xx

Yay! 4.7 4 hours after eating.
    Yes, I know you are right USA, the strips can be counter-productive.
    Still I like to see progress so weight everyday etc!
    I wish there was an insulin version of the sugar meter! I’ve learnt from Dr Fung that it’s insulin that is the problem. I’m just hoping that by watching my sugar go up and down as I eat (or not!) that I am also seeing my sensitivity to insulin come back?
    Not sure if that is realistic but I hope so.
    xx

speedy

i like white it really helps w/ art

what white? there r so many whites but some have such a richness in the light

this forum & researching is 2 addictive
    better go

it is my 1 day off

must launder clean & cook 4 the week always make my food now it has got 2 b spicy & garlicky & different 😀 etc

take care all

happy reversal the dr fung way 😀 & nonfastdays & fastdays & 5/2 & 4/3 & 6/1 & adf or 4/2/1 or 3/3/1 or 5/1/1 or adf w/1 & the fdl (fastday lifestyle) & lchf (lowcarbhighfat) 😀

take care all

usa

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!speedy

on ur 4.7 does that mean no typw2diab?

not very conversant on this testing

usa

weird starting not 2 get emails w/ replies

now what
    it looks like i have 2 checkmark it each time because it is unchecked

Hi USA. No, I wish!
    It’s just one measure but I’ve been testing through the day to watch what it is when:
    – fasting, (before breakast) = 6.1 (quite high)
    – after eating (7.1) = OK
    – three hours after eating (4.7) anything starting 4. … is always good.
    I still find my morning before breakfast levels too high and point to pre-diabetes/ glucose intolerance.
    But at least it has reassured me after the crazy random high (ie not related to having eaten or not) numbers from the new meter yesterday.
    Next week I’ll get A1C so will know my average over the last 2-3 months.

It’s just a white white. I love those very matt, chalk whites but they are mega expensive and have lots of pigment. As I last painted about 12 years ago even a simlpe white will be an improvement!
    xx

aaaw

he emailed back this day

promised his previous

emails

Jason Fung Today at 4:26 PM
    To

Thanks – merry christmas to you. I will probably eat normally over christmas and worry about it in the new year. Likely will need to increase fasting at that time, but feast and fast is the natural way of life.

jason fung

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 1:31 PM, <> wrote:

hi

dr fung

now have had a cold 4 an unsual long time still stuffed up w/ coughing spells
    i do a 6/1 fast instead of adf

can’t wait 2 get on track 2 adf

my sis 4 xmas doesn’t want anyone 2 cook

so she is ordering thai & vietnamese & peruvian chicken we r fine w/ that

i will take ur advice & take a break

what will u eat?

have put ur new vids on the forum 2day it has been a while since i posted

will try 2 watch them & reply 2 ur email below in the following weeks

wish u & ur family a safe & happy holiday

usa

To:
    Sent: Monday, November 25, 2013 4:12 PM
    Subject: Re: from usa new thread

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM, <> wrote:
    thanks

same format
    gave u space

r u saying 2 take 2 a day on nonfastday

That depends on your blood sugars – I would not take any metformin on fasting days and if your blood sugars are acceptable, then you may not need any on non fast days also. It is a good idea to have your physician check your medications to make sure they are appropriate.

i have never tested my blood except @ docs

so i should test while fasting/nonfasting?

I generally advise testing 2x/day while changing medications – but I also see people weekly to adjust their meds

i don’t take iron due 2 mistake the dr did story in my emails b4
    but do take 80mg aspirin will stop that 4 fastday

can i take these on fastdays or not? answer w/ a cap Y

all these are acceptable, but I don’t think they are necessary.
    garlic pill

fiber pill

vinegar pill

cinnamon pill

multivitamin has no iron in it 🙂

omega3

magnesium

prescribed
    1 enalapril 10
    1 hctz 25 mg

during a fasting program I always monitor blood pressure closely. Sometimes as weight and diabetes gets better, blood pressure also improves and sometime can stop some of the meds. Always need to check medications with your doctor.

as always on nonfastdays always make sure all supplements r food based 2

oh thought u would like this
    a canadian dr who reversed his type2diab

http://www.drjaywortman.com/blog/wordpress/about/

thanks again

take care

usa

Dr. Jason Fung

To:
    Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2013 12:53 PM
    Subject: Re: from usa new thread

I suspect that it is the metformin. This (along with iron and aspirin) tends to cause the most trouble on fasting. I would stop the metformin altogether on the fasting days unless sugar is above 180

dr jason fung

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 6:46 PM, <> wrote:
    no u did not lose an email it was in the same email u replied on b4 these 2 c below 3 email thread

however, i agree w/ new thread

i think once i did research concerning my symptoms.

it looks like, w/ my uneducated conclusion is that

i had a low blood sugar incident it matches symptom of weakness nausea etc……

i’m going 2 only take 1 metformin a day instead of 2 a day

what’s ur opinion? i think i’m right?

thanks, will not get flu shot only when i’m 65 & up

take care

usa

To:
    Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 5:59 PM
    Subject: Re: from usa thought of this

Hi USA – I’m sorry – I must have missed that last email. Maybe next time start a new thread on gmail. This one is doing all kinds of funky stuff.

In general the flu vaccine is protective. However, the benefit is proportional to the risk of flu. In essence, it makes the most sense for those patients over 65 years of age. Younger patients who receive it help to protect the elderly ones, but they themselves derive little benefit as the flu generally does not affect them.

So, from that standpoint, I recommend it for people over 65 and for those who work in health care settings (also high risk).

jason fung

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM, <> wrote:
    hi,

i saw that u did not answer about the flue vaccine.

however, i belong 2 the khan academy & just received an email

knowing u u would luv this site it is completely free
    u learn so much

& since u r a super left brainer
    wish i were

please c this & give me ur opinion

i have my 7 yr old niece join it

it has free education from kindergarten 2 doctorate & more

they explain things visually & simply

well they sent a newsletter

Does the flu vaccine even work?

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/healthcare-and-medicine/influenza/influenza-prevention-and-treatme/v/flu-vaccine-efficacy?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Stuff%20You%20Might%20Like%20Testing%20Send%2095&utm_campaign=Highlighted%20Content%203%20112113%20WWII&utm_content=Final

i went through each short video

it is the first time i understood this. also explains it 2 a parent 2

since u have also the gift of lecturing in a very simple elegant way

thought u would appreciate this

2day is my 1st fastday again

nausea is coming & going not as severe

take care

usa

To:
    Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 3:35 PM
    Subject: Re: from usa still nausea

Thanks for the interesting links. I hope your nausea gets better, but if it persists then it is definitely time to get some further testing. I generally don’t advise any type of intervention program such as fasting during a period of investigation. Since it is a lifestyle change, there will be plenty of time to fast once the nausea settles.

good luck!

jason fung

speedy i’m frugal 2 😀

if ur sugar is high what do u do?

that is why i do not check my blood

there is nothing that i know of u can do

many diabetics receive from healthcare professionals is outdated and useless.

http://www.lowcarbdietnews.com/evaluate-lchf-treatment-diabetes/

ugh

Speedy-

I’ll be going to the doctor for tests next week also- you aren’t alone. No matter what happens, we’ll try to fix it for both of us.

As to BP, mine is sporadic- sometimes up, sometimes low (and by low, I mean just normal),but this is very recent. Before the last two weeks, was always high, even treated. When I take a walk, it does wonders.

You’ve done way better than me on weight loss. Way to go!

Speedy-

I’ll be going to the doctor for tests next week also- you aren’t alone. No matter what happens, we’ll try to fix it for both of us. Or maybe we’ll both be saying yippee!

As to BP, mine is sporadic- sometimes up, sometimes low (and by low, I mean just normal),but this is very recent. Before the last two weeks, was always high, even treated. When I take a walk, it does wonders.

You’ve done way better than me on weight loss. Way to go!

Fighting with type 2 diabetes?
    Few simple tips to make your living healthy:
    1. Eat at the same time
    2. Include variety in your diet
    3. Keep a regular check on sugar levels
    4. Avoid walking barefoot
    5. Take care of your eyes
    thanks

Hi Piper, 🙂
    Yes, next week’s results will be just a stage on the way eh? Not the final result – we are a work in progress!

You’re right about walks. I was starting from a very fat and unfit place but with a few kilos off walking is much easier now so I do much more. It’s such a great exercise, notice I sleep much better after a walk too.
    The last few weeks I’ve had workmen in and so not been able to walk as much – waiting around for them, waiting in while they are here 🙁 and I immediately noticed and missed walking and had more aches and stiffness.

Good luck for next week!

Diabetes Drugs Affect Hearts of Men, Women Differently

“The most dramatic difference between men and women is with metformin alone,” said Gropler, who also sees patients at Barnes-Jewish Hospital. “Our data show it to have a favorable effect on cardiac metabolism in women and an unfavorable one in men.”

2 c full article

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/131212123321.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fhealth_medicine%2Fdiabetes+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Health+%26+Medicine+News+–+Diabetes%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

For fans, Michael Mosley is on Pointless Celebrities this evening on BBC in the UK. xx

USA, just an aside, I am watching the Town Hall video with Dr. Fung. THe one with the man called Old Goat and Mr. Yes!
    I was wondering really, just wanted your thoughts. Dr F mentions metabolic syndrome. Is he saying, do you think, that metabolic syndrome, – high bp, cholesterol, triglycerides, high sugar etc. are all caused by too much insulin?
    I know as a kidney specialist he is mostly looking at sugar/insulin but he seems to be linking insulin with all those ‘heart’ measures. I’d ove it of he was as I am trying to get all those measures down! Had the blood taken for me test today. Almost didn’t go but thought – woman up and go! So I went 🙂

I was just wondering what your thoughts are on that. Have I understood him correctly do you think? 🙂

Hi USA, (Wave!)
    Hi Piper, hope your blood tests went OK this week. xx

My blood tests done and I just got the results.
    And it was OK. HBA1c from 42 – 40
    Best result was triglycerides from 2.2 – 1.0
    Total cholesterol stayed almost the same or 0.2 better but the bad went up and the good came down 🙁
    But bp stays stubbornly at 155/90.
    So as I though was prescribed a diuretic – with my agreement of course. I have a strong family history of heart and blood vessel illness and my plan is to stay on it until it goes down – due to my future amazing weightloss!!!

So of course, came home and googled the diuretic Hydrochlorothiazideand what do I read? It seems to mess with your glucose and lipid levels – raises them I mean :(((

I have it to try for a month, just took the first one and indeed x3 to the loo already in 2 hours! It’s a small dose 12.5 mg but I’m frustated that something for bp can mess up glucose so insulin. If that’s true it will altimately undermine the point of fasting possibly. My HB1aC is now 40 now so just under the top limit for normal but there is no big margin of error there.

I mailed Dr Fung to see if he favours a different bp pill.

Feel relieved and sad to have started taking a daily pill.
    My GP, who is good I think, says she has seem bp reduction in obese people but only when they have lost a LOT of weight – she meant via gastric band surgery. I told her this diet is a sort of gastric band without the surgery. She used to work in an obesity clinic but is not aware of Dr Fung’s work I think nor is she very aware of the effects of insulin that Dr F. warns of.

On the Internet there are people say they lost weight on this bp pill (yes you will lose water;)and people who gained weight (yes, if your sugar so insulin rises on will come the weight).
    Because I am/feel I am still border diabetic I have to keep a good eye on this.

It could be worse I think but I can’t allow this pill to scupper things.

Speedy-

today’s the day . I have to go to the doc’s in next half hour. I’ll let you know. Glad most of your results were good. Way good on the trigs! I did go to the ob/gyn yesterday. 🙁 BP was not great but ok. If you have to take BP pill, do it. I’ll say more later.

speedy

congrats on everything

sorry i have not replied 2 ur posts or watch anything

i have been taking htz the hydro 1 4 more than 5 yrs

it is the one w/ the least side effects ugh still has some

piper

good luck

happy 2 all 🙂

oops happy holidays 2 all 😀

Hi USA, no bother! Reply if and when you get time. Sometimes life just gets in the way! 🙂 xx

I’m interested that you have been taking that water pill for years. Do you think it has had an effect on your blood sugar? I’m thinking about asking to be prescribed an ACE inhibitor instead because it seems to me I don’t want to do anything that will raise blood sugar – seems counter-intuative when doing 5:2 to lower sugar/insukin response. I’ve read that this diuretic can raise sugars enough to push people over to becoming diabetic.
    But yes, they all have side effects. I don’t really know what to think about it. Just need to keep focused on losing weight but then high bp is also a dangerous thing. Shame pills all have side effects! 🙁

Sorry to hear you’ve had to go the pill route, Speedy. Its a shame, but at least not a surprise.

Are you doing the Dr Fung regime? I am thinking that if the diuretic is causing higher blood sugars, it is much the same as insulin resistance, although possibly a different mechanism. But if you don’t give it much in the way of sugar to deal with, then there will be a limit to how much your sugars can rise.

Does that make sense?

And don’t worry too much about the ‘pushed into diabetes’ thing. T2D is just a number when the docs decide they have to do something. So if the patient is marginally below the threshold the diuretic might only raise their sugars a smidgeon and push them over the limit. That doesn’t apply to you because you are moving in the opposite direction overall.

I am SURE that continued fasting and carb restriction will work in time. And weight loss is the key to lowering your BP!

I cannot believe that doctors are still thinking mutilation (gastric bands) when fasting will do the trick without invasive and irreversible surgery.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 861 total)

You must be logged in to reply.