reversing type 2 diabetes & the fastday lifestyle

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
reversing type 2 diabetes & the fastday lifestyle

This topic contains 854 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  PeonyLover 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 861 total)

• 2 all

could not resist new article 2 day fasting on my lunch break might as well talk 2 u guys

How to be healthy – Fast Diet guru Michael Mosley sorts fact from fiction

How much sleep do we need? How many eggs should we eat? Is red wine better than white? Lucy Cavendish puts ten common health questions to the expert
    Share this episode

How to be healthy – Fast Diet guru Michael Mosley sorts fact from fiction
    Written By
    Michael Mosley
    5:41 PM, 10 October 2013

1. It’s often said that we should drink two litres of water a day? Is it really necessary?

There’s no study to suggest this is the case so it falls firmly in the “myth” category. There is no evidence that we are all permanently dehydrated. You need to monitor your urine. If it is dark then you’re not taking in enough liquids. If it is straw-coloured, all is fine. It’s the output, not the input, that you need to monitor.

2. Aspirin is said to be good at warding off heart disease and suppressing types of cancer. Is it OK to take as a drug of prevention?

A study published in The Lancet in 2012 suggested there’s a 37 per cent reduction in cancer risk, particularly colon and prostate cancer, for those who take a therapeutic low dose of aspirin – anything from a quarter of a 300mg tablet to a whole one – once a day over a period of five years.

Aspirin is also great at preventing heart attacks, especially if you’ve had one already. However, a side effect is that it may make your stomach bleed. Experts have flatly contradictory views about aspirin. Part of the problem seems to be that people self-medicate and therefore take too much. Also, no one can quantify the risks. A stomach bleed can be catastrophic so I am not going to take as aspirin as I don’t like the idea of bleeding internally. In the end, it depends what you are most afraid of.

3. Do we really need seven hours’ sleep every night?

Broadly speaking, yes. There is a huge variation in how much people need, but seven to eight hours is ideal. Some can get by on a lot less, but studies show if you increase from six hours a night to seven, it reduces your risk of heart disease. It seems that if you cut back on sleep in the long term it makes your blood sugar levels go crazy and, after a week or so, you can enter a diabetic state. The longest anyone has stayed awake is 12 days. A man from Cornwall holds that record! Sleeping more than ten hours is also bad for you, yet no one knows why.

4. Can eating too many eggs give you high cholesterol?

No. Eggs have been wholeheartedly demonized for no reasons at all. All those rumors of eggs giving us high cholesterol have now been utterly disproved. The advice from the British Heart Foundation is to eat as many as you like. Eggs are brilliant, full of nutrition and protein. I eat two a day in every form but not fried as that does raise cholesterol because of the fat in the oil.

5. Are people who eat breakfast really slimmer than those who don’t?

The problem with the studies on eating habits is that they ask people about their eating patterns and then base their results on that. For example, they talk to people who don’t eat breakfast then make them eat breakfast, and they get those who do eat breakfast to stop and take their evidence from these studies. However, the problem with making non-breakfast eaters eat breakfast is that it makes them want to eat more during the day and so they actually put on weight, so this falls into the fallacy category I think. If you don’t like eating breakfast, just don’t eat it.

6. Does St John’s wort work for depression?

Yes. There is a strong body of evidence that shows it does work for mild depression.

7. If drunk in moderation is red wine better for me than white wine?

Sadly, there’s no evidence to support this or any real benefit of drinking wine. Anything beyond a quarter of a glass is drunk for pleasure rather than medicinal purposes. The level of resveratrol in red wine – sometimes hailed as a wonder drug that can extend life and cure cancer – is so tiny that there really is no health benefit of red over white or wine in general at all.

8. Is there such a thing as a successful hangover cure?

I suffer very badly with hangovers and the only thing that works for me is two paracetamol before bed and lots of water. Beyond that, not much and by the time you wake up it’s too late anyway!

9. Is HRT OK for women to take or is it health-wise a disaster?

This totally divides the experts. The effects of HRT depend on the age of the woman taking it. There is evidence it reduces the risks of heart disease and obviously it reduces the symptoms of the menopause, but it can also raise the chances of breast cancer. It’s really for each woman to make her own informed decision about it.

10. Is there any evidence that eating sugar ages your skin?

Yes. In a recent study 600 men and women had their blood glucose levels measured and were rated for how old they looked. The older people appeared – on average it was five months older than they actually were – seemed to correlate with a high rate of blood sugar. The reason is that glucose attacks collagen and makes skin more brittle.

Michael Mosley
    12:38 PM, 10 July 2013

SIX STEPS TO HAPPINESS

1. Go for a walk
    When you’re aware you’re having negative thoughts, regrets about the past or worries for the future, interrupt them. It can simply be a matter of getting up, leaving whatever is causing the negative thoughts, and walking around.

2. Don’t obsess about yourself
    Don’t follow the trend to “let it all hang out” and go on about yourself all the time.

3. Adopt a stiff upper lip
    A good, old-fashioned stiff upper lip has its benefits. My grandfather was a prisoner during the war on the River Kwai. He never, ever talked about the experience, and I think there was a certain wisdom in that.

4. Literally count your blessings
    Every night, write down three things that have gone well in your day. It will make you feel happier.

5. Write a thank you letter
    Write to someone who’s made a big difference to you — especially if you’ve never told them so. Write it down, then read the letter to them.

6. Don’t think everyone is out to get you
    If you see someone in the street and they appear to ignore your friendly wave, it’s probably not because they hate you. They probably just didn’t see you. Shout over to them and say, “Hi.” Go the further inch.

SIX STEPS TO SLIMMING

1. Don’t eat 8pm—8am
    Try stretching periods when you don’t eat. Even one day of fasting every two months is thought to have potential long-term health benefits.

2. Cut protein
    Reducing protein has been linked to increased longevity. You probably eat more than you think: the Government recommends 55 grams a day for adults between 19 and 50, but the average Brit scoffs 85 grams.

3. Drink more
    Fill up on fluids, in particular water and green tea — a good thing generally, and particularly when fasting. Green tea is full of antioxidants, which help to fight the nasty free radicals that are one of the principal causes of ageing.

4. Eat colourfully
    Follow as rich and varied a diet as possible: invoke the rainbow principle, and eat as many varied colours of food as possible.

5. Stop snacks
    Small gestures in the direction of fasting are also thought to have benefits.

6. Stick at it
    It’s tough, but it does get easier. If you distract yourself, the hunger pangs do disappear.

Click here to learn more about the fast diet.

SIX STEPS TO FITNESS

1. Commit to HIT
    That stands for high intensity training — a short, sharp, vigorous burst of exercise.

2. Get the right kit
    It’s best to use an exercise bike as it engages all the muscles and puts less strain on the joints than sprinting.

3. Warm up
    Warm up for a minute or so, then really go for it, pedalling hard for 20 seconds. Take a breather.

4. Go for it
    Go fast for another 20 seconds. Take another breather — then do another 20-second burst.

5. Repeat
    Three bursts of 20 seconds equals one minute. Now do that three times a week…

6. But before you start
    If you have a pre-existing medical condition, you should consult your doctor before trying this or, indeed, fasting.

sent 2day

hi dr fung!

same format as b4

NO – IF YOU ARE FEELING WELL, THERE IS NO REASON TO FORCE YOURSELF TO SLEEP 8 HOURS. EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT. I FEEL GROGGY WHEN I SLEEP FOR 8 HOURS. 6 IS ENOUGH FOR ME. YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO YOUR OWN BODY. LET IT TELL YOU HOW MUCH YOU NEED TO SLEEP. 8 HOURS IS ONLY AN AVERAGE

FOR INSTANCE, IF THE AVERAGE HEIGHT IS 5 FT 9 IN FOR A MAN. DO YOU WORRY IF YOUR SON IS 6 FT? OR IF HE IS 5 FT 7IN? NO – EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT.

The sleeping part I have 2 humbly disagree.
    0 hours of sleep 3 hrs sleep 4 hrs of sleep based on my research is very detrimental 2 my health. Even dr mosley says it can cause a diabetic state

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24444634

Joslin Diabetes Center Joslin is an independent, nonprofit institution affiliated with Harvard Medical School. Our mission is to prevent, treat and cure diabetes. Our vision is a world free of diabetes and its complications.

(just found this site looks super interesting)

There is also some evidence that disrupted sleep affects insulin resistance and may contribute to the development of type 2 diabetes.
    Personally I think I was diagnosed a type2 due not sleeping 0-4hrs & 2 days @ time due 2 a very stressful time

http://www.joslin.org/info/sleep_problems_and_diabetes.html

are u saying not 2 take valerian or melatonin 2 help me get more hours of sleep? I finally started sleeping 6-8hrs sleep. However, when I started fasting it went back 2
    0-5hrs sleep. What do u think I should do 2 increase my hours of sleep?

When u wrote fibre u meant fiber. What foods r u talking about there is such a wide range?

top 10 foods highest in fiber & The Top 10 High Fiber Foods by Nutrient Density (Fiber per Gram)

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-dietary-fiber.php

so far on the list anything wheat or bran oats r off based on wheatbelly & brain grain
    corn I would think is to high in insulin level & potatoes. Based on the list above do u know which ones r high in insulin levels? (I will try 2 get a list 2gether through research will send when I found more info)

thanks 4 explaining the snack part it made sense. Still have not watched that series we do have it on our forum have it on our forum. Did u c the newest episodes

The Men Who Made Us Thin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-_LoAm_etU

There is so much info I’m still culling through 😀

take care
    usa

found a great site 4 figuring out nutrition & what food is the highest in
    will add 2 the newbies post 2

Nutrient Ranking Tool

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/nutritionfacts/nutrient-ranking-tool.php

♥ruthi♥

will try 2 watch thanks 😀

♥ruthi♥

added ur video 2

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/everything-a-newbie-might-want-2-c-use-read/#post-16416

still have not finished it

take care
    usa

LOL! Not surprised you haven’t finished it! It really requires careful attention, not the sort of thing for veging (do Americans veg? – vegatating) in front of the telly/computer screen!

Robert Lustig has written a book, which I understand is slightly more accessible, so its in my Amazon basket as I type. And he’s re-issued the John Yudkin book.

What I am looking for is a good book on breaking sugar (fructose) addiction, but so far I’ve only found low fat stuff which is really not what we need, is it?

Dare I ask? How is the job? Have they noticed your unconventional eating yet?

♥ruthi♥

was sent home 2day very sick
    very very scary
    nausea
    sharp pain in back arms body
    weak
    white as a ghost
    sweating on the face profusely
    lightheaded
    ate a good breakfast healthy lots of water it is a nonfastday

got home @ 1pm
    went write 2 sleep
    feel a little better it is 8/30/pm

it better not b the flue again

boy that is when u miss my loving mom
    who just took care of u 🙁

will post more of dr fungs replies he has been very helpful
    & 2 veg is used consistently here in the usa 2 great word 😀

♥need a hug ♥

Poor you USA! Here’s the biiiig hug you needed. Really hope you feel better today. That time of year for bugs and stuff, had one myself, but better now, you will be too, soon. Take care USA. Miss your posts!

Awww, USA, hugs for you. I do hope you are feeling better, although I know its the middle of the night for you and that is always a bad time for feeling rotten.

thanks 2 all

4 the hugs

appreciative of them it was just nice. sigh 🙂

went back 2 work but threw up almost on my boss

just said i feel like i;m going 2 throw up so sorry & ran as fast as i can 2 the ladies room with my mouth covered hoping 2 get there soon. ugh ugh ugh 🙁

when i feel better i’m going 2 ask dr fung mayb he can figure it out. i still keep a log of my adf foods fastday have been zero i actually amazingly enough i rather have zero cals on fastday
    who knew ??

i don’t think it’s food because the symptom comes on the days i eat & way after i ate &

i have been washing my fruits veggies with water & vinegar been a vegetarian 4 a while who knows what is happening ugh 🙁

my dr no help

take care all 😀

usa

Hello USA, couscous and everyone. Thought I’d see how we are all doing. Hope things are going well USA, that you are feeling better.

I’ve been wondering about a few things!
    I was wondering if this great way of losing weight that is 5:2 (in my case with fairly low carbs on feast days) I was wondering what sort of effects it’s going to have on cholesterol and triglycerides?

When I started this (September 2013) my results for these were borderline high (and had worsened during the previous year).

But as weightloss is going so well for me (14 kilos – 2 stones since September) I mean all that fat is going to have to go through my system isn’t it. As Dr Fung says with IF.. you lose fat not muscle, I wonder if I can I expect Cholesterol and Triglyciderides to get worse before they get better? I mean it’s coming off my tum and from allover but it’s still fat and has to be processed!

I’m seeing my doctor mid December to see how my self-help treatment is getting on and if it can keep me off medicines but I wonder if I’m going to see these results be worse? I trust it will have helped my insulin sensitivity a little.
    I had my bp measured last week and disappointingly it was about the same as it was before I lost this weight. 🙁

I wonder if I.F. and weightloss will lower bp – or enough to enable me to avoid pills. I’m sort of resigning myself to going to have to take BP pills if it hasn’t reduced significantly. It’s quite high 153/96. The top number has come down but not the bottom number. So many people I know – most who are thin of my age (55) take bp pills. Maybe it has not so much to my being fat.

Any thoughts about Cholesterol Triglycerides or bp much appreciated.
    My Bad cholesterol is high, good cholesterol is low 🙁

hi, speedy

off 2day

i’m getting a little better doing the adf no wheat/grain

however, i think i better stop it all so i can get better

don’t know yet

concerning high blood pressure i read somewhere will try 2 find it

that type diabetics who no longer had the disease died from heart complication because they did not take their heart meds

i’m 55 2 😀 hello * hi 🙂 high blood pressure / high cholesterol whaaaaaa 🙁

however, 27 lbs loss yay 4 me
    & yippee 4 ur 28 lbs loss u beat me by a pound
    & i started in march
    & u in sept woooooooooooooow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i’m jealous u have a better metabolism whaaaaa big difference

i have not weighed myself @ all will in the 2 mnths

concerning cholesterol u have a very good point w/ fasting & getting rid of fat or as u said “I mean all that fat is going to have to go through my system isn’t it. As Dr Fung says with IF.. you lose fat not muscle, I wonder if I can I expect Cholesterol and Triglyciderides to get worse before they get better? I mean it’s coming off my tum and from allover but it’s still fat and has to be processed!”.

dr mosley has high cholesterol now

now watch this 2 shows & article & please give me ur informed

decision

ARTICLE

Posted on November 10, 2013 by Dr. Davis
    Much of the $23 billion spent each and every year on statin drugs is really targeting the treatment of “high cholesterol” created by consuming grains.
    It doesn’t initially seem this way, as people (including most of my colleagues) focus on fat consumption, especially saturated fat, as the cause for high cholesterol. So let me try and clear up this somewhat confusing issue.
    Here is a typical panel of someone who consumes grains:
    Triglycerides 170 mg/dl
    LDL cholesterol (calculated) 150 mg/dl
    HDL cholesterol 40 mg/dl
    Total cholesterol 224 mg/dl
    In other words, HDL cholesterol is lowish, triglycerides high, LDL cholesterol and total cholesterol high. What does this mean? Let’s take each, one by one:
    Triglycerides are the byproduct of two digestive processes: 1) De novo lipogenesis or the liver’s conversion of the amylopectin of grains into triglyceride-rich VLDL particles that enter the bloodstream, and 2) absorption of dietary fats (which are triglycerides themselves). De novo lipogenesis dominates triglyceride levels in the bloodstream, far outstripping consumption of fat as a determinant of triglyceride levels. This simple fact was only identified recently, as the rise in triglycerides that occurs after consuming fats and oils develops within 2-4 hours, but the much larger rise in triglycerides from carbohydrate-to-triglyceride conversion starts 6-8 hours later, a fact not uncovered in older studies that failed to track this phenomenon this far out in time. (And, in certain genetic types, such as apo E2, the rise from carbohydrates in grains and sugars can last for days to weeks.)
    LDL cholesterol is calculated, not measured. The Friedewald calculation, developed in the early 1960s to provide an easy but crude means of estimating the quantity of cholesterol in the low-density lipoprotein fraction of the blood appled several basic assumptions: 1) that everyone consumes an average diet of average macronutrient composition, and 2) that the triglyceride content of all lipoproteins remained constant from person to person (which is not true, but wildly variable, and 3) that all LDL particles are the same size (also not true, as LDL particles vary in size within a wide range of diameters).
    Grain consumption, thanks to the process of de novo lipogenesis, increases blood levels of triglycerides and VLDL particles. VLDL particles interact with LDL particles, enriching LDL particle triglyceride content and reducing cholesterol content. This leads to a process of LDL particle “remodeling” that creates small LDL particles–glycation-prone, oxidazable, adherent to inflammatory blood cells, and persistent in the bloodstream for 7 days, rather than the 24 hours of more benign large LDL particles. Grains thereby trigger the process creating small LDL particles; fats trigger the process that does not.
    When we cut out grains, the Friedewald calculation is therefore no longer valid, as the assumptions–weak to begin with–are completely disrupted. LDL cholesterol, this crude, surrogate effort to indirectly quantify LDL particles, is therefore completely useless. This has not, unfortunately, dampened enthusiasm among my colleagues nor the drug industry for trying to treat this number with statin drugs.
    Better ways to quantify LDL particles: NMR LDL particle number (which includes quantification of small and large LDL particles) or an apoprotein B. (Each LDL particle contains one apo B, which thereby provides a virtual count of LDL particles, but no breakdown into small vs. large.)
    HDL cholesterol is, unlike LDL cholesterol, a measured and reliable value. Ironically, it is among the most ignored. Grain-consuming humans tend to have low HDL because the high triglyceride/VLDL particles interact in the bloodstream with HDL particles, enriching HDL particles in triglycerides and reducing cholesterol content. This leads to a reduction in HDL size and HDL quantity, thus the lowish or low HDL cholesterol values. The lower the HDL, the higher the cardiovascular risk, a relationship that has held up many times over the years.
    Total cholesterol is the sum of all three values: LDL cholesterol + HDL cholesterol + triglycerides/5. (More accurately, LDL cholesterol is the calculated value: LDL = total chol – HDL – trg/5.)
    Given the mix of values, total cholesterol is therefore essentially useless. A large increase in HDL, for instance–a GOOD thing–will raise total cholesterol; a large reduction in HDL–a BAD thing–will reduce total cholesterol: the opposite of what you would think. Total cholesterol can indeed yield useful prognostic information when applied to a population, though it is crude and the relationship weak. But it is useless when applied to an individual.
    If we reject the silly and simpleminded notions of cholesterol panels, and apply the greater insights provided by advanced lipoprotein analysis, several nutritional observations can be made:
    –Saturated fat increases HDL, shifts HDL to larger particles, and triggers formation of large LDL particles.
    –The amylopectin carbohydrates of grains trigger higher triglycerides, thereby providing more VLDL particles to interact with HDL and LDL particles, the process that leads to triglyceride enrichment and smaller ineffective HDL and smaller atherogenic LDL (heart disease causing).
    –Given the unusual persistence time of small (7 days) vs large (1 day) LDL particles, grain consumption is FAR worse than fat consumption.
    You can begin to appreciate how overly simplistic this notion of “reducing LDL cholesterol” using statin drugs is–$23 billion per year of overly simplistic. You can also appreciate that the real situation is a bit complicated and beyond the reach of most busy primary care physicians, while being outside the interests of most cardiologists, obsessed as they are with revenue producing activities like heart catheterizations, stent and defibrillator implantation.
    But don’t fall for it: The common distortions of cholesterol panels can be easily explained by the chain of events that emits from a diet rich in “healthy whole grains.”

VIDEOS i gave 2 dr fung

this 2013 video has caused an uproar w/ the heart foundation in Australia people r not happy w/ also the american heart association                      

part 1 The Real Cause of Heart Disease
    in Failed low fat diets, Heart Disease, Saturated fat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rDVf-00w5gk

Part 2 of ABC’s Heart of the Matter series – ‘Cholesterol Drug War’

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3881441.htm

hope this helps u

take care

usa

dr fung’s new blog

Since we know that calories are not the real problem, we can start to focus on what is really the cause of obesity (the aetiology of obesity). You can review the calorie series here for an indepth discussion of why calories are not relevant. The entire obsession with calories was a 50 year dead end. We can only start to address the problem of weight loss and gain by understanding the real causes.
    So what is the real cause of obesity? Let’s go back in time and see what people thought about obesity in the past.
    Banting
    William Banting
    William Banting 1796-1878 is considered to have written the first diet book. He started off as a normal weight fellow in his teens and 20′s. However, as he went through his 30′s, 40′s and 50′s he started to gain some weight. Not much, but a few pounds per year. Before long, he was age 62 and weighed 202 pounds. Not bad by modern standards, but a real chunky monkey by the standards of that time.
    So, on the advice of his physicians, he tried to eat less. But then, he felt tired, hungry and he wasn’t really losing any weight. Then, he tried to exercise more. He rowed the Thames and became quite physically fit. However, he was still not able to keep the weight off.
    Finally, on the advice of a French surgeon, he started a new diet. He would severely restrict not calories, but sugars and starches – what we now call refined carbohydrates. He avoided all breads, milk, beer, sweets and potatoes. Poor fellow loved his carbs, too.
    William Osler
    He lost so much weight and felt so well that he decided to publish his findings in “Letter on Corpulence Addressed to the Public“. This pamphlet was really the first modern diet book. Based on personal experience, Banting felt that it was not calories that caused weight gain, but refined carbohydrates. Many of his ideas that sugars and starches caused obesity persisted through the next 100 years of so.
    Sir William Osler – the influential Canadian physician who wrote “The Principles and Practice of Medicine” – illustrates that most doctors of the early 1900′s considered that refined carbohydrates were the chief cause of obesity. In his famous textbook, he described treatment of obesity with diets predominantly featuring meat and eggs and low in refined carbohydrates.
    In his 1882 monograph “Obesity and its Treatment” Dr. Osler felt that fatty foods were crucial to reducing obesity because they increased satiety (feeling of fullness). Contrast this to the modern demonization of dietary fats. This coincides neatly with the obesity epidemic. Maybe the good Dr. Osler was onto something after all.
    By the 1950′s it was fairly standard advice. If you were to ask your grandparents ‘back in the day’ what caused obesity, they would not talk about calories. Calories as a unit of energy was largely unknown at that time. They would say instead, that sweets and starchy foods caused obesity.
    Dr. Spock’s Baby and Child Care – a bible of child rearing of the 1950s – describes the gaining or losing of weight as mostly dependent upon the amount of desserts and plain, starchy foods consumed. Dr. Passmore in the British Journal of Nutrition in 1963 wrote the “Every woman know that carbohydrate is fattening”. Every. Woman. Knows.
    This was no secret. Everybody knew it. These ideas had withstood the test of time. Common sense and empiric observation served to confirm the truth of the matter. The ideas were “Anti-Fragile” as the great Nassim Taleb puts it. And obesity wasn’t such a great problem back then. This is what they thought:Fattening carbs
    ancel-keys
    Things started to change in the 1950s. There was a perceived increase in the incidence of heart disease. Whether this is actually true or not is debatable. Gary Taubes argues that this was not true in his groundbreaking book ”Why We Get Fat“. Nevertheless, people started to search for the reason behind this ‘great epidemic’ of heart disease. Their gaze soon fell upon dietary fat.
    The “Diet-Heart Hypothesis” started to gain traction in the 1960s. Ancel Keys, a very influential nutition ‘expert’ played an instumental role in popularizing these ideas. With great enthusiasm and shaky science, the demonization of dietary fat (a food that humans had been eating since, well, we became humans) started.
    There was a problem, though we didn’t see it at the time. Dietary protein tends to remain fairly constant in human diets. It is actually quite difficult to increase dietary protein to more than 20-30% of calories without resorting to protein bars/ shakes etc. So, if one were to restrict dietary carbohydrates, then one must increase dietary fats and vice versa. This is the result:
    Low Fat = High Carb and
    Low carb = High FatPure white and deadly
    Since dietary fat was now the villain of the hour, the ‘Heart Healthy’ recommended diet became a high carbohydrate one. Since carbohydrates in the Western hemisphere tended to be refined, we ate more and more low fat bread and pasta. After all, we weren’t giving up hamburgers for cauliflower and kale, but for bread and big plates of pasta.
    Through the 1950′s and 1960′s scientific debate (occasionally very acrimonious) raged back and forth. Some believed that dietary fat was the villain where others, such as John Yudkin believed that refined carbohydrates were the problem. His book, “Pure, White and Deadly – How Sugar is Killing Us“ is eerily prescient, and should certainly win the award for Best Book Title – Ever.
    The vitriol sometimes reached extreme levels. Jean Mayer, PhD of Harvard once likened the carbohydrate reduced diet “in a sense, equivalent to mass murder”. Just a little extreme….The American Heart Association felt that these diets were also dangerous fads.
    Umm…dude….really? A 200 year old fad? Ideas that had withstood the test of time? Dietary fats that humans had been eating for, like, a bazillion years? That’s what was killing us? Didn’t it occur these geniuses that if dietary fat was going to kill us, it would have already done so in the preceding, oh, 1 million years?
    The low-fat diet, of course, up until that point in time was completely untested in humans. Nobody in history had ever decided to lower the fat content of their diet for health reasons. We had no idea what effect it would have.
    Of course, this was around the time that we also believed that we could make a more nutritious substance for babies than breast milk. That we were somehow smarter than 20 million years of evolution. So, instead of eating natural fats such as cream, butter, and olive oil we turned to purely artificial oils like margarine. Of course, these turned out to kill us with trans-fats but that is a story for another time. We moved away from fat and towards refined carbs.
    So who won? You already know the answer, and we are all the worse off for it.

he is giving us the best synopsis of his lectures 😀
    i think i will make a topic of just this i have another

hi
    ♥is everyone ok?♥
    where r u all?

hope u all r having a great time!

have off 2day yay

it is super coldddddd brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 37
    got 2 find my gramas quilts 😀

NOW WRITTEN SERIES of his lectures in blogs

How do we gain weight? Calories part 1
    By Dr. Jason Fung on August 27, 2013

This is the single most important question in obesity. It is impossible to adequately treat any disease without having some understanding of the cause (the aetiology). For instance, if you understand the cause of infections to be bacteria, then you can target bacteria in its treatment. This leads to hand-washing as opposed to, say, leeching. So, how do we gain weight – or […]

Read more

http://kidneylifescience.ca/general/how-do-we-gain-weight/

A Calorie is a Calorie – part II
    By Dr. Jason Fung on September 4, 2013

A Calorie is a Calorie This is a continuation of our discussion of calories – click here for Calories part I. A calorie is a calorie. This is obviously true. Just like a dog is a dog, a dollar is a dollar, or a desk is a desk. There are many different kinds of dogs and desks but the simple […]
    Read more

http://kidneylifescience.ca/general/a-calorie-is-a-calorie-calories-part-2/

Key Assumptions – Calories part III
    By Dr. Jason Fung on September 9, 2013

Here’s how we conventionally think about obesity. Assumption#1 Calories in and calories out are independent The first key assumption is that calories in and calories out are independent of each other. That is, if you reduce calories in, calories out are not affected. This is crucial. If a reduction of […]
    Read more

http://kidneylifescience.ca/general/key-assumptions-calories-part-iii/

Why Caloric Reduction doesn’t work – Calories Part IV
    By Dr. Jason Fung on September 16, 2013

You can start here for part I, and part II. We were discussing assumptions in the Caloric Reduction as Primary model… Conventional Theory of Obesity Assumption#4 Fat stores are essentially unregulated All systems in the body are regulated. If you consider any system in the body, it is a regulated system. For […]
    Read more

http://kidneylifescience.ca/general/why-caloric-reduction-doesnt-work-part-iv/

The Biology of Starvation – Calories Part V
    By Dr. Jason Fung on September 23, 2013

So, here’s our conventional view of obesity. Eating too much makes you fat. Eating less should cause weight loss. However, as we saw in the last section (part IV), things are not quite so simple. In 1917, experiments showed that reducing calories severely reduced Total Energy Expenditure […]
    Read more

http://kidneylifescience.ca/general/the-biology-of-starvation-calories-part-v/

How Caloric Reduction Wrecks your Metabolism – Calories Part VI
    By Dr. Jason Fung on September 30, 2013

Click here for Calories part I, part II, part III, part IV, and part V. In previous posts, we have reviewed how eating less does not result in permanent weight loss. In the classic studies of caloric reduction the result was a significantly lowered metabolic rate or Total Energy Expenditure (TEE). Let’s now fast forward to the modern era, and […]
    Read more

http://kidneylifescience.ca/general/energy-expenditure-calories-part-vi/

Why Diets don’t work in the Long Term – Calories Part VII
    By Dr. Jason Fung on October 7, 2013

Click here for Calories Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V, and Part VI. We have explored the body’s adaptation to reducing calories and weight and seen how the body acts more like a thermostat than a scale. The body acts as though it has a Body Set Weight (BSW) and strives vigorously to defend that weight […]
    Read more

http://kidneylifescience.ca/general/why-diets-dont-work-in-the-long-term-calories-part-vii/

How Dieting makes us Hungry – Calories part VIII
    By Dr. Jason Fung on October 14, 2013

Click here for Calories Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V, Part VI, and Part VII. We’ve looked at energy expenditure over the long term. What are some of the hormonal changes that accompany weight loss? For that let’s look at this study: Long-Term Persistence of Hormonal Adaptations to Weight Loss N Engl J Med 2011; 365:1597-1604 […]
    Read more

http://kidneylifescience.ca/dr-jason-fung/how-dieting-makes-us-hungry-calories-part-viii/

The Cruel Hoax of the Low Fat Diet – Calories part IX
    By Dr. Jason Fung on October 21, 2013

How can we lose weight? We all think the caloric reduction is the key, but so far, it doesn’t seem to be working. Here’s our conventional view of obesity… Let’s now see what happens in the real world. Can […]
    Read more

http://kidneylifescience.ca/general/the-cruel-hoax-of-the-low-fat-diet-calories-part-ix/

The Astonishing Overeating Paradox – Calories Part X
    By Dr. Jason Fung on October 28, 2013

Remember when you were in high school? You could eat and eat (pig out). Chips, pizza, soda pops. Later beer. And you’d never gain weight. You were as thin as a brief, forgotten dream. Slowly, it faded away. […]
    Read more

http://kidneylifescience.ca/general/the-astonishing-overeating-paradox-calories-part-x/

Smash the Fat – Calories part XI
    By Dr. Jason Fung on November 4, 2013

So, here again is our conventional Caloric Reduction model of obesity. It turns out that part of eating too much was entirely hormonally mediated and not personal choice at all (gluttony). It turns out that […]
    Read more

http://kidneylifescience.ca/general/smash-the-fat-calories-part-xi/

happy reversal & nonfastdays & fastdays & 5/2 & 4/3 & 6/1 & adf or 4/2/1 or 3/3/1 or 5/1/1 or adf w/1 & the fdl (fastday lifestyle) :D 

thanks 2 dr mosley & dr fung!      

speedy & all

this might be better 4 us on cholesterol than drugs

Research Summary: Effects of coenzyme Q10 supplementation (300 mg/day) on antioxidation and anti-inflammation in coronary artery disease patients during statins therapy: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial.

At the May 2013 Heart Failure Congress a randomized double blind trial was presented showing that CoQ10 caused a 50% decrease in mortality from all cardiac events. As this was the first treatment in over a decade to improve heart failure mortality, the news made headlines in the scientific community. Other CoQ10 studies were bound to follow.

The most recent study to focus on the benefits of CoQ10 for heart health comes from Taiwan, where a group of researchers in Taichung studied the effects of CoQ10 supplementation on patients receiving statins (cholesterol-reducing drugs). Statins have been shown to reduce the biosynthesis of CoQ10, a powerful antioxidant found in nearly all cells of the human body. (CoQ10 works to produce energy in mitochondria, and is the only antioxidant that humans can synthesize.) The researchers investigated the effects that supplementation with CoQ10 might have on patients during statin therapy, particularly its effect on inflammatory markers which are directly correlated with coronary artery disease.

A cohort of 54 patients with 50% stenosis of at least one coronary artery was divided into two groups. Twenty-seven patients were randomly chosen to receive 300mg of CoQ10 daily for twelve weeks, while twenty-four received placebo. Concentrations of coenzyme Q10 and vitamin E were measured in the two groups, as well as the activity of the antioxidant enzymes superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase, and glutathione peroxidase. Inflammatory markers – C reactive protein (CRP), tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-6 – were measured in the 42 subjects who completed the study.

At the end of twelve weeks, the researchers found that plasma levels of CoQ10 as well as antioxidant enzyme activity were significantly higher after CoQ10 supplementation. In addition, the subjects in the CoQ10 group had significantly higher levels of vitamin E than the placebo group. Levels of the inflammatory markers tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-6 dropped in the CoQ10 group, indicating a decrease in oxidative stress.

The authors concluded that “Coenzyme Q10 supplementation at 300 mg/d significantly enhances antioxidant enzymes activities and lowers inflammation in patients who have CAD [coronary artery disease] during statins therapy.” They also found that regarding the safety of COQ10 “there were no clinically significant changes in the subjects’ vital signs, serum chemical values, or hematological values, and there were no serious adverse events, no complaints of myalgia or muscle weakness, and no withdrawals due to adverse events. Thus, coenzyme Q10 at a dose of 300 mg/d is safe for co-administration with statins therapy.”

Citation: Bor-Jen Lee, Yu-Fen Tseng, Chi-Hua Yen and Ping-Ting Lin. Effects of coenzyme Q10 supplementation (300 mg/day) on antioxidation and anti-inflammation in coronary artery disease patients during statins therapy: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Nutrition Journal 2013, 12:142, 6 November 2013 doi:10.1186/1475-2891-12-142

was missing you , wanted you to be okay, but, seriously, will have to take a
    looong time to read all this.

Glad you are back, USA! Your bug sounds rather like a norovirus, and certainly not the sort of reaction one might get to changes in eating pattern.

I think you’ve had enough enforced fasting to be let off for a few days while you recover!

Hubby goes away for month soon. I am plotting a fasting fest!

Ruthi-you were talking about bmi on another thread- would like to hear more?

I was? I don’t remember – what was the context?

@ruthi
    ” I am plotting a fasting fest!”

That’s the way to party.

What would that look like?

Tee hee!

4:3, total fasting – if he is out of the way I can remove all temptation. Not sure how well I would sleep, though. I sleep badly after 4-500 calories!

Sugar and carb free, just the carbs in leafy veg (Or more probably nearly sugar free, with a square or two of chocolate in the evening. I can do that with chocolate, but not with other forms of sugar)I never drink on my own anyway.

With the exception of a special meal I am being taken to for my birthday.

@ruthi
    ” a square or two of chocolate in the evening. I can do that with chocolate, ”

I succumbed to chocolate while bonding with my grandson at his house over the weekend. It was very good.

Now I remember why I don’t keep any chocolate in my house nor buy it anymore.

Fruit Restriction for Type 2’s: Good or Not?
    Danish hospital researchers show that the recommendation among conventional doctors and nutritionists to type 2 diabetes patients to lay off the fruit may be wrong….

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/articles/diabetes-news/14966-fruit-restriction-for-type-2s-good-or-not-

“In fact, when the data is looked at more closely, those who ate more fruit had slightly more weight loss and lower ending waist circumference than those who ate less fruit.”

Hi USA, I’m glad to read that. Hard as I find chocolate and crisps and coke to avoid, living with little fruit would be grim indeed.
    On my feast days I have blackberries and blueberries, often a banana and apple. I think there is truth in ‘an apple a day keeps the doctor away’ (Drs Mosely and Fung excepted of course!) and I’ve been losing weight at about a kilo a week since I started.

On another subject, I may be confusing two things here. I’ve been thinking about IGF 1 (Is that what it’s called? It’s late and I forget things!

In the great videos, Dr Fung says it goes up hugely. In his Horizon programme Dr. M. say high levels of this are bad.

I asked Dr F about Human Growth Hormone and how it rises when fasting (I thought this is IGF1) and he kindly answered me to the effect of it’s nothing to worry about. That if fasting induced GH were harmful, we would not have survived the caveman stage. And that it helps maintain lean muscle mass during fasting.

After doing 5:2 for several weeks, Dr M’s IGF1 (?) levels were reduced and he was happy about that.

Am I confusing two different things here? What do others think about this?
    Any thoughts?

THanks and best wishes to all reading this. 🙂

I think you might be confusing human growth hormone and IGF1, they are not the same.

Yes I was starting to realise that myself Aphrodite. Thanks 🙂
    I’ll have to go back and check what Dr F says rises substantially when you fast.
    Sometimes for an interested but non-medical person like me, things can get complicated and easily confused!

2 all

CONTINUATION OF all dr fungs emails so far he really has helped still not a 100% feeling well

speedy put his email up please

dr fung is in CAPS

—– Forwarded Message —–
    TO:
    SENT: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 18, 2013 3:35 PM
    SUBJECT: RE: FROM USA STILL NAUSEA

THANKS FOR THE INTERESTING LINKS. I HOPE YOUR NAUSEA GETS BETTER, BUT IF IT PERSISTS THEN IT IS DEFINITELY TIME TO GET SOME FURTHER TESTING. I GENERALLY DON’T ADVISE ANY TYPE OF INTERVENTION PROGRAM SUCH AS FASTING DURING A PERIOD OF INVESTIGATION. SINCE IT IS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE, THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF TIME TO FAST ONCE THE NAUSEA SETTLES.

GOOD LUCK!

JASON FUNG

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM, wrote:

thanks

it has 2 b the flue that’s what my doc said

he said it is going around he did not c me

he said i should have gotten the flue shot now it’s 2 late

i have never gotten a flue shot in my life what is ur opinion on that?

i still have the flue vomiting etc. my doc isn’t of any help

it can’t be fasting or meds or foods

i’m eating homemade chicken soup w/ barley & spinach as u said

& fruits here is a recent article on that 4 type2diab

Fruit Restriction for Type 2’s: Good or Not?
    Danish hospital researchers show that the recommendation among conventional doctors and nutritionists to type 2 diabetes patients to lay off the fruit may be wrong….

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/articles/diabetes-news/14966-fruit-restriction-for-type-2s-good-or-not-

the nausea is unbearable still

i will look in2 what u said

it looks like i’m going 2 have 2 find another doc

talking about canada i thought the usa was bad

but i came across a site called weighty matters http://www.weightymatters.ca/

wow things aren’t great there either ugh

again thanks 4 ur responses

wish u & family well

usa

TO:
    SENT: WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2013 4:37 PM
    SUBJECT: RE: FW: SORRY FROM USA OOPS

REGARDING BIOTIN AND ALPHA LIPOID ACID – THERE IS VERY LITTLE RESEARCH ON THESE COMPOUNDS SO I DON’T REALLY HAVE AN OPINION.

REGARDING GREEN TEA CACHEXINS – THESE ARE THE ANTI OXIDANTS IN GREEN TEA – I AM A BIG FAN OF GREEN TEA AS A DRINK – ANY BENEFITS ARE A BONUS

REGARDING GLUCOMANNAN – A SOLUBLE FIBER SUPPLEMENT – I AM A FAN OF DR. MARK HYMAN AD I COVER THE TOPIC OF FIBER IN LECTURE 2 – BOTTOM LINE ON FIBER – IT REDUCES GLUCOSE AND INSULIN SPIKES AND THEREFORE MORE FIBRE IS BETTER.

JASON FUNG

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM, wrote:
    oops 4got

just got his newsletter the blood sugar guy way below copy pasted
    what r these?
    red the links i found & inputted ?
    what r ur thoughts?

Alpha Lipoic Acid http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-767-Alpha%20Lipoic%20Acid%20(ALPHA-LIPOIC%20ACID).aspx?activeIngredientId=767&activeIngredientName=Alpha%20Lipoic%20Acid%20(ALPHA-LIPOIC%20ACID)

Chromium http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/chromium-topic-overview

Biotin http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/supplement-guide-biotin

Green Tea Catechins (ECGC) http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/health-benefits-of-green-tea

super fiber called PGX.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/fiber-health-the-super-fi_b_594153.html

take care & thanks

usa

his post

The Blood Sugar Solution, to know that I am a strong proponent of nutritional supplements. I firmly believe that their natural support in helping you to look and feel your best can be superior to any other therapy available.

For starters, I suggest you take a high-quality multi-vitamin that includes each of the following:

Magnesium
    Alpha Lipoic Acid
    Chromium
    Biotin
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids (EPA and DHA)
    Cinnamon
    Green Tea Catechins (ECGC)

I also suggest that you use a protein powder, to boost the nutritional value of your shakes, juices, and smoothies, and that you make use of a super fiber called PGX.

Lastly, my Basic Plan includes vitamin D3. This particular form of vitamin D has important benefits that most doctors fail to recognize.

—– Forwarded Message —–
    To: Jason Fung <drjasonfung@gmail.com>
    Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:22 PM
    Subject: Re: sorry from usa

hi dr fung

sorry have not replied in a while

i’ve been sick

1 day on a nonfastday w/ a hight fat low carb breakfast w/ meds @ 8am
    @ 1pm i sweated profusely got completely white nausea radiating pain in back near coxic bone
    was sent home from work
    just went 2 bed no eating meds just sleep

the next day went back 2 work fastday just water no meds @7pm almost

went back 2 work but threw up almost on my boss
    just said i feel like i;m going 2 throw up so sorry & ran as fast as i can 2 the ladies room with my mouth covered hoping 2 get there soon. ugh ugh ugh 🙁

it is not the food it can’t be the meds it can’t be the fast

i’m wandering if i should stop & just eat chicken soup w/ barley like my grama use 2 make & get my body healing

oh i guess barley is wrong 2 sigh what r ur thoughts

should i change meds change something

is there really a type2diab that was taking 100mg insulin sorry thought it was a type1 u were talking about

by the way go search on our forum ur name dr fung or fung’s or fungs

i have posted 2 day many of ur blogs vids etc in different topics

take care & thanks

usa

TO:
    SENT: FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 2013 1:49 PM
    SUBJECT: RE: FROM USA

HI USA – TYPE 1 DIABETES IS AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT DISEASE THAN TYPE 2 DIABETES. TYPE 1 IS CHARACTERIZED BY A LOW INSULIN. TYPE 2 HAS HIGH INSULIN. SINCE FASTING IS A METHOD OF LOWERING INSULIN IT WOULD BE EXPECTED TO BE EFFECTIVE IN TYPE 2 BUT NOT TYPE 1 DIABETES

DR JASON FUNG

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM, wrote:
    hi dr fung

ok so so true

ur lectures r on so many post/topics

we will continue 2 make sure they know this info

just had a type 1 w/ an insulin pump gave him the lectures

hope it helps him. i wonder why dr mosley said type 1 should not fast?

so maybe i’ll skip metformin on fastdays

& will take valerian 2 sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

thanks

take care
    usa

TO:
    SENT: THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 7, 2013 9:21 AM
    SUBJECT: RE: FROM USA

HI USA – MOST OFTEN WE FIND THAT THESE SYMPTOMS ARE CAUSED BY MEDICATIONS THAT MAY IRRITATE THE EMPTY STOMACH. METFORMIN CAN OFTEN DO THIS. IN THIS CASE, YOU CAN TRY TAKING LEAFY GREEN SALAD (FIBER) OR STOP THE METFORMIN IF YOUR BLOOD SUGAR ALLOWS.

THANKS FOR YOUR OFFERS TO HELP. THE ONLY THING I NEED IS FOR YOU TO SPREAD THE WORD THAT THERE IS A SOLUTION TO DIABETES AND OBESITY. WE NEED TO EDUCATE PEOPLE ON THE CORRECT WAY TO TREAT OBESITY AND DIABETES SO THAT THEY CAN GET BETTER.

JASON

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM, wrote:
    hi dr fung

i think i better finish ur lectures part 1/2 of part 3 & all of 4 & 5 & salt
    was focused on the diabetes 😀

i don’t want u repeating urself

however, thanks 4 ur precious replies.
    since i’m not sleeping @ all i’m going 2 try valerian.

even w/ fibre the adf is causing diarrhea never had that

how do u take care of that & what would u suggest 2 eat 2 replenish that on nonfastdays?

is their anything u need from all of us?

take care

usa

To:
    Sent: Wednesday, November 6, 2013 3:05 PM
    Subject: Re: from usa they all luv ya

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM, wrote:
    hi dr fung!

same format as b4

NO – IF YOU ARE FEELING WELL, THERE IS NO REASON TO FORCE YOURSELF TO SLEEP 8 HOURS. EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT. I FEEL GROGGY WHEN I SLEEP FOR 8 HOURS. 6 IS ENOUGH FOR ME. YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO YOUR OWN BODY. LET IT TELL YOU HOW MUCH YOU NEED TO SLEEP. 8 HOURS IS ONLY AN AVERAGE

FOR INSTANCE, IF THE AVERAGE HEIGHT IS 5 FT 9 IN FOR A MAN. DO YOU WORRY IF YOUR SON IS 6 FT? OR IF HE IS 5 FT 7IN? NO – EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT.

The sleeping part I have 2 humbly disagree.
    0 hours of sleep 3 hrs sleep 4 hrs of sleep based on my research is very detrimental 2 my health. Even dr mosley says it can cause a diabetic state

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24444634

Joslin Diabetes Center Joslin is an independent, nonprofit institution affiliated with Harvard Medical School. Our mission is to prevent, treat and cure diabetes. Our vision is a world free of diabetes and its complications.
    (just found this site looks super interesting)
    There is also some evidence that disrupted sleep affects insulin resistance and may contribute to the development of type 2 diabetes.
    Personally I think I was diagnosed a type2 due not sleeping 0-4hrs & 2 days @ time due 2 a very stressful time

http://www.joslin.org/info/sleep_problems_and_diabetes.html

are u saying not 2 take valerian or melatonin 2 help me get more hours of sleep? I finally started sleeping 6-8hrs sleep. However, when I started fasting it went back 2
    0-5hrs sleep. What do u think I should do 2 increase my hours of sleep?

I THINK THAT THERE IS A CLEAR CORRELATION BETWEEN SLEEP AND DIABETES/ WEIGHT. I REVIEW SOME OF THE LITERATURE IN LECTURE #3. SO, YES, SLEEP IS IMPORTANT, BUT THAT IS NOT TO SAY THAT ONE NECESSARILY NEEDS 8 HOURS OF SLEEP. IF YOU GET ENOUGH SLEEP TO FEEL RESTED FOR THE DAY, THEN THAT IS ENOUGH.

I USUALLY GET 6 HOURS OR SO AND HAVE BEEN DOING SO, FOR ABOUT 20 YEARS NOW. IF YOU NEED 8 HOURS AND ARE NOT GETTING 8 HOURS, THEN YES, THAT IS A PROBLEM. IF YOU ONLY NEED 6, YOU SHOULDN’T FORCE YOURSELF TO GET 8. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. IF YOU FEEL TIRED, AND FEEL YOU NEED MORE SLEEP, THEN YOU SHOULD APPLY SOME OF THE TIME TESTED METHODS OF STRESS RELIEF (YOGA, MEDITATION, EXERCISE) AND SLEEP AID I REVIEW IN LECTURE #3 OF THE AETIOLOGY OF OBESITY. I HAVE PRESCRIBED SLEEPING PILLS FOR YEARS NOW, AND I AM NOT SURE THAT IT HELPS ANYBODY. MELATONIN PERHAPS MAY HELP, BUT THERE IS VERY LITTLE EVIDENCE.

When u wrote fibre u meant fiber. What foods r u talking about there is such a wide range?

ALMOST ALL CARBOHYDRATE FOODS CONTAIN FIBER (IN CANADA IT IS SPELLED FIBRE). THAT IS BECAUSE IT IS NATURE’S ‘ANTIDOTE’ TO CARBOHYDRATE. AS A WHOLE FOOD, CARBS ARE NOT DANGEROUS BECAUSE THEY CONTAIN THE ANTIDOTE. ONCE WE START PROCESSING, SAY WHEAT – WE STRIP OFF THE PROTECTIVE FIBER AND FATS THAT REDUCE INSULIN SPIKES. THAT IS WHY THERE ARE PRIMITIVE CULTURES THAT EAT 95% CARBOHYDRATES AND STILL ARE THIN. BECAUSE THE FIBER PROTECTS AGAINST THE CARBS TO REDUCE INSULIN SPIKES. THE KITAVANS FOR INSTANCE, ATE A 70% CARB DIET AND YET HAD INSULIN LEVELS THAT WERE VERY LOW. PROTEIN AND FATTY FOODS DO NOT HAVE FIBER BECAUSE THERE IS NO NEED FOR THIS ‘ANTIDOTE’ SINCE THOSE FOODS CONTAIN NO ‘POISON’ (CARBS). SO IN ORDER TO INCREASE FIBER, ONE NEEDS TO AVOID ALL PROCESSED FOODS – THAT INCLUDES FLOUR, AND SUGAR MOSTLY. THE TOXICITY LIES NOT IN THE FOODS, BUT IN THE PROCESSING.

top 10 foods highest in fiber & The Top 10 High Fiber Foods by Nutrient Density (Fiber per Gram)

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-dietary-fiber.php
    so far on the list anything wheat or bran oats r off based on wheatbelly & brain grain & corn I would think is to high in insulin level & potatoes. Based on the list above do u know which ones r high in insulin levels? (I will try 2 get a list 2gether through research will send when I found more info)

thanks 4 explaining the snack part it made sense. Still have not watched that series we do have it on our forum have it on our forum. Did u c the newest episodes
    The Men Who Made Us Thin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-_LoAm_etU

There is so much info I’m still culling through 😀

take care
    usa

To:
    Sent: Monday, November 4, 2013 4:07 PM
    Subject: Re: from usa they all luv ya

Hi USA – I put response in below

Dr. Jason Fung

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM, wrote:
    hi dr fung

thanks 4 ur replies . again giving u space underneath my replies 4 u 2 answer/or not/ 2 make it easier 4 u 😀

another big question is since our adrenaline goes super high as u said in ur lecture when we fast. their is kind of a catch 22 that it causes us 2 do sometimes do allnighters halfnighters basically not sleeping is one of the biggest side effects of fasting
    which is my big concern since we know that 8hrs of sleeping is the best thing 4 our body
    would not sleeping not destroy all that work of by fasting if we don’t sleep
    so that our bodies can charge up W/our immune system??
    what has been ur solution? should we based on my research start taking valerian or melatonin?

have u also noticed that the mental accuity goes higher? i guess do 2 our brain synapsises r reignited 2?

YES – THAT IS ACTUALLY THE PRECISE REASON THAT THE ANCIENT GREEKS FASTED – TO IMPROVE THE CLARITY OF THEIR THOUGHTS. YOU FEEL ‘SHARPER’ ON FASTING DAYS.

i just read more closely on ur pdf 4 what 2 eat . is that the Rules from The Blood Sugar Solution? reverse your diabesity.Dr. Mark Hyman just put it on hold 4 the ebook @ my library also found a pdf w/ more details on what 2 eat may I eat from that list 2?

YES – DR. MARK HYMAN’S BOOK THE BLOOD SUGAR SOLUTION IS AN EXCELLENT BOOK. HE DOES NOT GO INTO AS MUCH DETAIL IN TERMS OF PHYSIOLOGY BUT HE BASICALLY ADVISES TO EAT ONLY NATURAL FOODS – WHICH IS EXCELLENT ADVICE.

http://drhyman.com/downloads/eatyourmedicine.pdf

however u said no snacks he said differently

u must have a very good reason on why no snacks & the 3 meal a day only

may i ask why?

THE REASON HAS TO DO WITH INSULIN RESISTANCE. SEE LECTURE #2 OF THE AETIOLOGY OF OBESITY FOR A THOROUGH DISCUSSION. HIGH PERSISTENT LEVELS OF INSULIN CAUSE INSULIN RESISTANCE. HIGH INSULIN RESISTANCE CAUSES HIGH LEVELS OF INSULIN (VICIOUS CIRCLE). SNACKING ALL THE TIME MEANS THAT YOU ARE CONSTANTLY STIMULATING INSULIN RELEASE WHICH LEADS TO MORE INSULIN RESISTANCE

IN THE 1950’S, PEOPLE WERE EATING WHITE BREAD AND WHITE SUGAR JUST FINE. BUT THEY WERE ONLY EATING 3 MEALS/DAY WITH NO SNACKS. WE’VE NOW MOVED TO EATING 6 TIMES/DAY. THE REASON WE EAT ALL THE TIME WAS ADDRESSED BY THE BBC DOCUMENTARY THE MEN WHO MADE US FAT (CHECK VIMEO OR YOUTUBE). BASICALLY THE FOOD COMPANIES WANTED TO SELL US MORE FOOD SO CONVINCED US THAT WE SHOULD EAT SNACKS. PRIOR TO THAT YOUR MOTHER WOULD HAVE GOTTEN MAD AT YOU FOR EATING BEFORE DINNER.

the author of grain brain dr perlmutter the neurologist has determined that lchf is great 4 the brain
    is that someone also who u have studied ? http://www.drperlmutter.com/blog/

I HAVE NOT READ DR PERLMUTTER’S BOOK, BUT FROM WHAT I GATHER, MUCH OF THE SAME PROCESS THAT HAPPENS IN THE BODY HAPPENS IN THE BRAIN AS WELL.

i don’t know if they both beleive in fasting but u do & dr mosley & i will always believe in it we need our bodies 2 rest so that they can fix it. what r ur learned thoughts/research/conclusions on these drs/authors?

I BELIEVE WE ARE ALL TALKING ABOUT THE SAME THING. THAT IS, THE UNDERLYING CAUSE OF ALL THESE PROBLEMS IS HIGH INSULIN LEVELS. RESTRICTING GRAINS, RESTRICTING TO NATURAL FOODS, FASTING – THEY ARE ALL MEANS OF REDUCING INSULIN AND INSULIN RESISTANCE (REMEMBER – INSULIN CAUSES INSULIN RESISTANCE)

u never answered what is ur max as a lowcarb in g or net carb g
    or is more complicated than that & just follow the blood sugar solution except snacks?

AGAIN – YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. SOME PEOPLE WITH LOW INSULIN RESISTANCE CAN EAT 200 GM/DAY AND NOT HAVE A PROBLEM. OTHERS CAN ONLY TAKE 30G/DAY. THEY SAY THAT EVEN LOOKING AT A BAGEL MAKES THEM GAIN 2 POUNDS.

Did u c that dr oz who promoted low fat is now apologizing that was wrong! He as a cardiologist has realized he was taught the wrong way. He had the grain brain author
    Have his own video
    Expert Extra: Dr. David Perlmutter
    Neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter explains how what you eat can impact your brain health.

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/do-carbs-cause-alzheimers?video_id=2753372348001

& brought him on the show

Do Carbs Cause Alzehimer’s? Pt 1
    Do you have the power to prevent Alzheimer’s disease? Meet Dr. David Perlmutter, the controversial doctor who says you can control your genes by changing the way you eat. His message is simple: Cut carbs and load up on healthy fats!

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/do-carbs-cause-alzheimers?video_id=2753218220001

Do Carbs Cause Alzehimer’s? Pt 2
    Do you have the power to prevent Alzheimer’s disease? Meet Dr. David Perlmutter, the controversial doctor who says you can control your genes by changing the way you eat. His message is simple: Cut carbs and load up on healthy fats!

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/do-carbs-cause-alzheimers?video_id=2753218208001

neuroligal article

Higher glucose levels associated with lower memory and reduced hippocampal microstructure

http://www.neurology.org/content/early/2013/10/23/01.wnl.0000435561.00234.ee

& someone who has achieved their goal

My Toughest Goal To Date

http://robinnixon.com/thejourney/finally-achieving-my-greatest-unattained-goal

u have been so helpful & nice. which is very appreciated.
    hopefully my questions will start to die down & u will b getting my results every 3 months weight wise
    i don’t c my doctor until 8 months from now but ur answers r really guiding me towards success
    i hope dr mosley who visits his forum & answers questions will c our post & videos/lectures on u. it will be nice 2 c what he says
    i will email u if he says anything or more great praise from 1 of our members

take care

usa

speedy

thought i lost u

never heard back from my last post

my eyes have crossed over trying 2 understand igf1

got it tested but it was a different type c post in beginning w/ my stats mayb we can compare

what does dr fung say?

again how r u?

happy reversal & nonfastdays & fastdays & 5/2 & 4/3 & 6/1 & adf or 4/2/1 or 3/3/1 or 5/1/1 or adf w/1 & the fdl (fastday lifestyle) 😀

2 all

still need many super hugs

this nausea is weird i hate it 🙁

not fasting as dr fung instructed

right when i felt i understood everything & felt @ peace fasting 2-3 days adf etc no prob eating well

i like the no snack plan 2

& now this ugh broke down & made my grama’s homemade barley chicken soup w/ spinach

still nausea is there ugh

take care all

♥ruthi♥

how r u faring w/ ur month off?

piper

what do u like best out of that looooong list?

piper

yes he is nice isn’t he?

he’s a sweety pie

more above

Hi USA, sending a hug, you sound as if you need it. 🙁
    I still have your last message highlighted in red to reply to – but I haven’t got around to it yet. Sorry. 🙁

That was pretty much verbatum what Dr Fung replied. I sent just a very short short message.

♥ruthi♥

start mixing seeds/nuts w/ egg whites not a bad kind of cracker still fiddling

speedy

just glad 2 know ur there

i put all replies in a folder that email notify has been a great addition

can’t u tell i’m replying 2 all

no prob take all the time u need 🙂

i thought might as well b nauseous while replying

then i’m done back 2 researching what is causing this

ugh ugh ugh 🙁

Hi to all-
    USA, so sorry you’re not feeling well-I have had a bit of “tummy trouble”also, must be the season.
    I’m doing a fast day today, no resistance for once. Anyway, thanks for the article on fruit, I always feel better
    after eating it.
    Sending hugs and good thoughts,
    Mulville

mulville & all

sending u all hugs

sorry 2 hear ur not 100% either

yes fruit finally i can have

there were so many conflicting views w/ type2diabs
    dr fung of course he thought fruit was fine still nice 2 know it was confirmed

i read something about mango will research more

but 2 tired good night all

feel better

usa

USA< THIS IS YOUR MAIL TO ME. AND MY THOUGHTS. I KNOW I HAVE NOT PICKED UP ALL YOUR POINTS> I@M SORRY. 🙁
    MY REPLIES IN CAPITAL LETTERS. I’M SORRY IT FEELS LIKE SHOUTING!
    wiltldnrUSA wrote:

hi, speedy
    off 2day
    i’m getting a little better doing the adf no wheat/grain
    however, i think i better stop it all so i can get better
    don’t know yet

concerning high blood pressure i read somewhere will try 2 find it
    that type diabetics who no longer had the disease died from heart complication because they did not take their heart meds

i’m 55 2 😀 hello * hi high blood pressure / high cholesterol whaaaaaa
    however, 27 lbs loss yay 4 me
    & yippee 4 ur 28 lbs loss u beat me by a pound
    & i started in march
    & u in sept woooooooooooooow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i’m jealous u have a better metabolism whaaaaa big difference
    I DONT KNOW, IT’S NOT A RACE 🙂 I HAVE DONE NO EXERCISE THE LAST FEW YEARS AND AM DOING SOME NOW SO MAYBE THAT IS HELPING ME. ALSO KEEPING FAIRLY LOW CARB ON FEAST DAYS.

i have not weighed myself @ all will in the 2 mnths
    I WEIGH EVERY DAY. IT@S INTERESTING BUT I DON’T ALLOW IT TO UPSET ME ON DAYS IT GOES UP A BIT. TRY TO TAKE A RELAXED VIEW.

concerning cholesterol u have a very good point w/ fasting & getting rid of fat or as u said “I mean all that fat is going to have to go through my system isn’t it. As Dr Fung says with IF.. you lose fat not muscle, I wonder if I can I expect Cholesterol and Triglyciderides to get worse before they get better? I mean it’s coming off my tum and from allover but it’s still fat and has to be processed!”.
    I’VE READ THIS SOMETIMES HAPPENS BUT NOT ALWAYS. I’M GETTING MY BLOODS DONE BY MY GP IN DECEMBER SOTHEM I@LL BE ABLE TO SEE ANY CHANGES SINCE THE END OF SEPTEMBER. THAT IS MY BASELINE APART FROM A SET I HAD DONE IN JULY 2012.

dr mosley has high cholesterol now
    YOU KNOW MY SISTER IN LAW HAS HIGH BP AND SHE IS THIN. SO I HAVE TO LEARN THAT SOME THINGS ARE NOT FAT RELATED. IN FACT, MANY OF MY THIN FRIENDS HAVE BEEN TAKING BP PILLS FOR YEARS. I DON@T UNDERSTAND WHY IT GOES UP WHEN YOU GET OLDER BUT IT SEEMS TO. I HAVE RECONCILED MYSELF TO PROBABLY HAVING TO TAKE BP PILLS. BUT I’D LIKE TO BE ABLE TO AVOID THE DIABETIC PILLS.

now watch this 2 shows & article & please give me ur informed
    decision
    ARTICLE
    Posted on November 10, 2013 by Dr. Davis

Much of the $23 billion spent each and every year on statin drugs is really targeting the treatment of “high cholesterol” created by consuming grains.

It doesn’t initially seem this way, as people (including most of my colleagues) focus on fat consumption, especially saturated fat, as the cause for high cholesterol. So let me try and clear up this somewhat confusing issue.

Here is a typical panel of someone who consumes grains:

Triglycerides 170 mg/dl

LDL cholesterol (calculated) 150 mg/dl

HDL cholesterol 40 mg/dl

Total cholesterol 224 mg/dl

In other words, HDL cholesterol is lowish, triglycerides high, LDL cholesterol and total cholesterol high. What does this mean? Let’s take each, one by one:

Triglycerides are the byproduct of two digestive processes: 1) De novo lipogenesis or the liver’s conversion of the amylopectin of grains into triglyceride-rich VLDL particles that enter the bloodstream, and 2) absorption of dietary fats (which are triglycerides themselves). De novo lipogenesis dominates triglyceride levels in the bloodstream, far outstripping consumption of fat as a determinant of triglyceride levels. This simple fact was only identified recently, as the rise in triglycerides that occurs after consuming fats and oils develops within 2-4 hours, but the much larger rise in triglycerides from carbohydrate-to-triglyceride conversion starts 6-8 hours later, a fact not uncovered in older studies that failed to track this phenomenon this far out in time. (And, in certain genetic types, such as apo E2, the rise from carbohydrates in grains and sugars can last for days to weeks.)

LDL cholesterol is calculated, not measured. The Friedewald calculation, developed in the early 1960s to provide an easy but crude means of estimating the quantity of cholesterol in the low-density lipoprotein fraction of the blood appled several basic assumptions: 1) that everyone consumes an average diet of average macronutrient composition, and 2) that the triglyceride content of all lipoproteins remained constant from person to person (which is not true, but wildly variable, and 3) that all LDL particles are the same size (also not true, as LDL particles vary in size within a wide range of diameters).

Grain consumption, thanks to the process of de novo lipogenesis, increases blood levels of triglycerides and VLDL particles. VLDL particles interact with LDL particles, enriching LDL particle triglyceride content and reducing cholesterol content. This leads to a process of LDL particle “remodeling” that creates small LDL particles–glycation-prone, oxidazable, adherent to inflammatory blood cells, and persistent in the bloodstream for 7 days, rather than the 24 hours of more benign large LDL particles. Grains thereby trigger the process creating small LDL particles; fats trigger the process that does not.

When we cut out grains, the Friedewald calculation is therefore no longer valid, as the assumptions–weak to begin with–are completely disrupted. LDL cholesterol, this crude, surrogate effort to indirectly quantify LDL particles, is therefore completely useless. This has not, unfortunately, dampened enthusiasm among my colleagues nor the drug industry for trying to treat this number with statin drugs.

Better ways to quantify LDL particles: NMR LDL particle number (which includes quantification of small and large LDL particles) or an apoprotein B. (Each LDL particle contains one apo B, which thereby provides a virtual count of LDL particles, but no breakdown into small vs. large.)

HDL cholesterol is, unlike LDL cholesterol, a measured and reliable value. Ironically, it is among the most ignored. Grain-consuming humans tend to have low HDL because the high triglyceride/VLDL particles interact in the bloodstream with HDL particles, enriching HDL particles in triglycerides and reducing cholesterol content. This leads to a reduction in HDL size and HDL quantity, thus the lowish or low HDL cholesterol values. The lower the HDL, the higher the cardiovascular risk, a relationship that has held up many times over the years.

Total cholesterol is the sum of all three values: LDL cholesterol + HDL cholesterol + triglycerides/5. (More accurately, LDL cholesterol is the calculated value: LDL = total chol – HDL – trg/5.)

Given the mix of values, total cholesterol is therefore essentially useless. A large increase in HDL, for instance–a GOOD thing–will raise total cholesterol; a large reduction in HDL–a BAD thing–will reduce total cholesterol: the opposite of what you would think. Total cholesterol can indeed yield useful prognostic information when applied to a population, though it is crude and the relationship weak. But it is useless when applied to an individual.

If we reject the silly and simpleminded notions of cholesterol panels, and apply the greater insights provided by advanced lipoprotein analysis, several nutritional observations can be made:

–Saturated fat increases HDL, shifts HDL to larger particles, and triggers formation of large LDL particles.

–The amylopectin carbohydrates of grains trigger higher triglycerides, thereby providing more VLDL particles to interact with HDL and LDL particles, the process that leads to triglyceride enrichment and smaller ineffective HDL and smaller atherogenic LDL (heart disease causing).

–Given the unusual persistence time of small (7 days) vs large (1 day) LDL particles, grain consumption is FAR worse than fat consumption.

You can begin to appreciate how overly simplistic this notion of “reducing LDL cholesterol” using statin drugs is–$23 billion per year of overly simplistic. You can also appreciate that the real situation is a bit complicated and beyond the reach of most busy primary care physicians, while being outside the interests of most cardiologists, obsessed as they are with revenue producing activities like heart catheterizations, stent and defibrillator implantation.

But don’t fall for it: The common distortions of cholesterol panels can be easily explained by the chain of events that emits from a diet rich in “healthy whole grains.”

VIDEOS i gave 2 dr fung

this 2013 video has caused an uproar w/ the heart foundation in Australia people r not happy w/ also the american heart association                      

part 1 The Real Cause of Heart Disease

in Failed low fat diets, Heart Disease, Saturated fat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rDVf-00w5gk

I FOUND IT AMAZING FROM THIS FILM TO HEAR THAT VEINS DON’T GET ARTEROLSC… ONLY ARTERIES. THAT OXIDISED CHOLESTEROL SEEMS TO BE THE PROBLEM. YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS LINK TO A BLOG:
    http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/03/the-problem-isnt-cholesterol-its-the-wrong-kind-and-oxidation-of-cholesterol.html

YOU KNOW, I FELL (YES UNSCIENTIFIC FEEL!) THAT STRESS IS A REALLY BAD THING FOR OR US. THAT AND INFLAMMATION. I HAVE RECENTLY STARTED TAKING COENZYE Q10 SUPPLEMENTS ALSO ST JOHN’s WORT AND SIGNED UP FOR A COURSE OF MINDFULNESS. THE ST JOHN’S WORT AS A HERBAL ANTI_DEPRESSANT THAT I FEEL I NEED AT THE MOMENT.

Part 2 of ABC’s Heart of the Matter series – ‘Cholesterol Drug War’ I HAVEN’T WATCHED THIS YET.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3881441.htm

hope this helps u

take care THANK YOU YOU TOO 🙂
    I THINK THE RUSH TO LOW FAT + WHEAT AND CARBS WAS CAUSED BY POLITICAL PRESSURE RATHER THAN SCIENCE. AND OF COURSE BREAD ETC IS PRETTY NICE SO WE SWALLOWED IT (!) BUT NOW WE ARE EQUALLY KEEN ON E.G. 5:2 DR. M SAYS OFTEN THAT MORE TESTS ARE NEEDED. BUT STILL WE ARE LOVING IT. SO IT@S ALSO A BIT ILLOGICAL – BUT IT FEELS GOOD! AND TO BE HONEST, HOW MANY DIETS HAVE REALLY BEEN STUDIED PROPERLY? NONE THAT I KNOW OF.

IT WILL BE HARD IN DECEMBER WHEN I SUSPECT MY GP WILL WANT TO PUT ME ON STATINS. IT WILL BE HARD TO REFUSE BUT I THINK I WILL. SHE ALREADY MENTIONED THEM. BUT THEN DR. MOSELY IS TAKING STATINS NOW I THINK I SAW ON HIS RECENT BBC PROGRAMME. WHAT ARE WE TO MAKE OF THAT? OR MAYBE I’m EXPECTING HIM TO BE A GURU! 🙂

JUST SOME THOUGHTS USA. TAKE CARE. xx

usa

USA, Toms- hope you both feel better soon. Getting the flu is not fun and can really take some time to get back to normal 🙁 USA , granny’s soup sounds good- especially if it helps with the nausea.

Speedy- I was also confused about igf1 and HGH– alphabet soup!

Watched all of Dr Fung- 1 through 6! Looked at his blog. Saw grain brain on Dr Oz. A lot of people are saying the same thing, just different words and focus.

Hello all! I am just back from a long weekend in France with DD and cute little DGS! She is much more relaxed, not least because somewhere along the line he has turned into a total angel, and sleeps through the night!

Despite the fact it was the weekend of the new wine vintage, and all the vinyards were holding open days I managed to drink and eat in relative moderation! And of course, apart from the patisserie (largely nbg for me because of gluten content) its all simple and wholesome.

I need to sit down and read the above carefully! Maybe not today because I had to get up rather early to come back via cheapie Irish airline. Looks like there is lots of food for thought!

It makes me so mad! The drug companies are pushing hard for everyone over a certain age to be on statins, despite the evidence against them. Well I for one will not be one of their victims! I suspect that Dr M is just succumbing to the huge amount of pressure around statins. He doesn’t come over as a man who goes against the flow, and I think it takes a certain kind of rebellion to stand up to the amount of hype around the big moneymaking drugs. If you are reading this Dr M, I am sad that you’ve gone the statin route rather than looking more carefully at diet – but its not my life!

I am particularly annoyed about the Danish research into fruit eating. We know nothing about the sample, but if they are reflective of the general population then the biggest fruit eaters tend to be better off, and better educated. So the marginally better weight loss probably has nothing to do with the eating of fruit and everything to do with socioeconomic status. What do DO know is that fructose increases insulin resistance, which is a far greater risk than obesity per se. If I were a diabetic I would need better evidence before I started eating loads of fruit (instead of loads of veg).

hi all

started fasting 2day

still have nausea but not as much

i never thought i would say this but i miss fasting

it has a good rythm & i lose lbs

so again CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!!!

happy reversal & nonfastdays & fastdays & 5/2 & 4/3 & 6/1 & adf or 4/2/1 or 3/3/1 or 5/1/1 or adf w/1 & the fdl (fastday lifestyle) 😀

piper & toms & all

thanks 4 all ur kind words

more dr fungs letters

he is really a kind person

To:
    Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2013 12:53 PM
    Subject: Re: from usa new thread

I suspect that it is the metformin. This (along with iron and aspirin) tends to cause the most trouble on fasting. I would stop the metformin altogether on the fasting days unless sugar is above 180

dr jason fung

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 6:46 PM, wrote:

no u did not lose an email it was in the same email u replied on b4 these 2 c below 3 email thread

however, i agree w/ new thread

i think once i did research concerning my symptoms.

it looks like, w/ my uneducated conclusion is that

i had a low blood sugar incident it matches symptom of weakness nausea etc……

i’m going 2 only take 1 metformin a day instead of 2 a day

what’s ur opinion? i think i’m right?

thanks, will not get flu shot only when i’m 65 & up

take care

usa

To:
    Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 5:59 PM
    Subject: Re: from usa thought of this

Hi USA – I’m sorry – I must have missed that last email. Maybe next time start a new thread on gmail. This one is doing all kinds of funky stuff.

In general the flu vaccine is protective. However, the benefit is proportional to the risk of flu. In essence, it makes the most sense for those patients over 65 years of age. Younger patients who receive it help to protect the elderly ones, but they themselves derive little benefit as the flu generally does not affect them.

So, from that standpoint, I recommend it for people over 65 and for those who work in health care settings (also high risk).

jason fung

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM, wrote:
    hi,

i saw that u did not answer about the flue vaccine.

however, i belong 2 the khan academy & just received an email

knowing u u would luv this site it is completely free
    u learn so much

& since u r a super left brainer
    wish i were

please c this & give me ur opinion

i have my 7 yr old niece join it

it has free education from kindergarten 2 doctorate & more

they explain things visually & simply

well they sent a newsletter

Does the flu vaccine even work?

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/healthcare-and-medicine/influenza/influenza-prevention-and-treatme/v/flu-vaccine-efficacy?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Stuff%20You%20Might%20Like%20Testing%20Send%2095&utm_campaign=Highlighted%20Content%203%20112113%20WWII&utm_content=Final

i went through each short video

it is the first time i understood this. also explains it 2 a parent 2

since u have also the gift of lecturing in a very simple elegant way

thought u would appreciate this

2day is my 1st fastday again

nausea is coming & going not as severe

take care

usa

a dr who reversed his type 2 yay

“The second beginning occurred about 48 years later when I discovered that I, too, had type 2 diabetes; that the Aboriginal genetic tendency towards this disease had slowly snaked its way up through my family tree to bite me.

As a physician, you somehow believe that you are going to be immune to the diseases that you diagnose and treat in others, that you are going to know enough and be careful enough to avoid these pitfalls of the human condition.”

http://www.drjaywortman.com/blog/wordpress/about/

nice 2 know someone who reversed again yay

speedy

u weren’t shouting 😀 it would b nice 2 have color italic but better than nuttin 🙂

“ALSO KEEPING FAIRLY LOW CARB ON FEAST DAYS”

that’s prob why u have lost more in the beginning was not doing that dr fung’s really helped w/ dr mosley yay

what is it now ur lbs?
    i mean it really is great what u loss so i’m looking 4ward 2 surpassing u in a friendly way
    but won’t know until 3 months from now 😀

“TRY TO TAKE A RELAXED VIEW.”

i used 2 weigh everyday it did not bother me 2

however, want 2 feel a big surprise in 3 months

i have 70lbs 2 go

how much more lbs 4 u?

“THAT STRESS IS A REALLY BAD THING FOR OR US. THAT AND INFLAMMATION.”

so so true biggest cause

“I HAVE RECENTLY STARTED TAKING COENZYE Q10 SUPPLEMENTS”

i only take it once a month a liquid 100ml

because one of the biggest test i asked 4 was the cq10 defficiency & magnesium & potassium & vitamin d

etc passed all yay

“THE ST JOHN’S WORT AS A HERBAL ANTI_DEPRESSANT THAT I FEEL I NEED AT THE MOMENT.”

why r u ok?

read the letters from dr fung 2 me on statins niacin

anyway we r unhealthy twins of the same mind

we feel think research & conclude on how we want 2 get of meds lose weight & be healthy & 4 u 2 be happy

no hurry 2 reply

take care
    usa

♥ruthi♥

“But have those of you who are tending more to low carb, higher fat diets finding it as difficult as I to get out of the habit of thinking low fat? I catch myself at it all the time!”

my fridge still has some lowfat cheese & sour cream can’t throw it away just mix it up w/ avocado or fullfat stuff

i feel less hungry & even heathier on this fdl w/ lchf

take care

usa

♥ruthi♥

“And a number of friends are T2 diabetic, and itching to be ALLOWED to go on insulin ‘because life will be so much easier then’!!!! Who in their right mind would go in for such self-abuse voluntarily? Well most people it seems. They want effort free relief from their symptoms, and somehow equate that with lower mortality.”

why would insulin help? even b4 dr fung i never was itching 2 go on that??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

♥ruthi♥

“sends me to the more open minded specialists”

these r very hard people 2 find
    glad u have them

it is a constant battle in this white coat mafia world

mulville

how r u waiting 2 c ur copy/paste 😀

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 861 total)

You must be logged in to reply.