Reactive hypoglycaemia and fasting?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
Reactive hypoglycaemia and fasting?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Rabbitfood 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Does anyone else have reactive hypoglycaemia and success on IF? I see some people have reported not feeling too good after fast day. I reported earlier that I felt really great on a fast day from 6 pm the night before, no food following day, 500 cals (low carb) at 7 pm. Then felt bad following day, dizzy, generally ill and weak. Think no food keeps pancreas quiet, body works ok re burning glycogen and fat, had mood boost and managed hunger better than a previous fast day when I had breakfast. I wonder if fast breaking meal then caused a great insulin spike followed by a crash?

I was thinking of eating a normal full meal after the 24 hrs rather than restricting to 500 cals perhaps upping the fat but that might be worse? I sometimes play tennis first thing before breakfast and did so this am. Today my body is still upset, tennis not so good and I am scared of pushing myself into diabetes. There are pro and con views on the web re blood sugar problems and fasting, have read widely. Now I do not know what to do? At 70 I was hoping for a chance to improve my health – and lose a bit of weight and age well so as to remain independent. Have lost 4lbs in 9 days which might be a bit too fast. No idea re blood chemistry as normally healthy – BP fine, on low side if anything. Conventional advice is small low carb/Low GI meals throughout the day. Perhaps I could do 5 mini meals totalling 500 but I was hoping to get away from always eating and being concerned re next meal. Help please!

Hi Rabbitfood – I am 71 and have had diabetes 2 since 2009; am in the “obese” category on BMI. Blood sugar levels have been between 130 & 180 over last few weeks, with fairly high blood pressure as well;

Had my first fast day today – I divided my calories between 3 smaller meals as I did not think it a good idea to do an all day fast – I need to eat regularly as I have to take some medication before and some after food; for instance I just had a yoghourt lunch time which was enough.

Was surprised how day passed without feeling really hungry; All was OK until after the evening meal when I began to feel light-headed, shaky and very hot – all signs I have learnt that indicate I have low blood sugar levels. Took reading and it was down to 80 – not catastrophic but extremely low for me – too steep a drop in too short a time. Have had this happen before.

So had to break my 500 calories and put some sugar back. Had scoop of caramel ice cream and small teaspoon of runny honey. Am not beating myself up about it – these things happen and it will not stop me doing more fast days.

However, having read various comments about when and how to work the fast days, I believe it is entirely up to the person concerned to work out what to eat and when, for some an all day fast is OK and is possibly more beneficial, others like me it is not, and I think if one has diabetes 2 it is not an entirely good idea to go 24hrs without food and then a big meal in one go.

I do not get up early so I do not eat until about 11am; then about 2.30pm: with one biscuit with a cup of green tea about 5pm and then evening meal about 8pm. That has worked today quite well for me; butyou will need to work out your own routine.

I wish you the best and look forward to hearing how you get on

I tried my hardest, 3 fast days and failed on the last one. Just felt too ill and then for two days afterwards. Think that my stress response to the low blood sugar possibly raised cortisol. I was dizzy, faint and vision blurred even after resuming normal eating. It impacted work and tennis. I know I do not handle sugar well and that is a contra indication. Also have an underlying metabolic issue which means stress is a problem.

I think the health benefits would be great, however, I think I need to sort out adrenals (give up caffeine) and perhaps ease myself into it very slowly after becoming more fat adapted. That might make a difference. Will try again in a month or so.

I did the dukan diet a few years ago and found that I couldn’t exercise too much on it as my blood sugar would regularly drop below 4 (I’m not a diabetic) which would make me feel very dizzy and weak. On my fast days on this diet I can do an 1 1/2 circuit training in the morning and have nothing to eat from the night before until the evening of my fast day with no drop in sugar levels. For me eating triggers the production of insulin so I’m better off having nothing.

I have suffered from low blood sugar for thirty years and doing the Fast Diet has knocked on the head some of my previously-held beliefs about my sugar-lows and what will happen to me. I have always believed that when my blood sugar drops I HAVE to eat, or I will take a hypo. But I have come to realise that’s not true for me. For the first time I have made myself go through that stage and have found that, to a certain extent, my sugar levels stabilise after a while and I don’t conk out, I can still function and nothing terrible happens. That’s not to say it would be the same for everyone: some people do take a hypo and go unconscious so if you know for sure you are one of those people you really should take medical advice. For me, it has been a pleasant surprise to know that I have life after blood sugar drops and that I can navigate successfully to my next meal in that state without collapse. And what is more, I am finding that even on non-fast days I am reaching a stability of blood sugar that I have never experienced before. I feel liberated as I have always carried some nuts, or yoghurts as I used to feel so bad when in need of food. But it passes, and that’s quite a revelation to me.

I eat a little extra if I feel woozy, or fuzzy. A handful of nuts and a small apple are a favorite snack to bring myself around. It’s also important for me to drink enough fluid so I always have some tea brewing, or a glass of electrolyte water at hand.

I’ve been a well controlled T2 diabetic for about 8 years. This is my 8th week of IF. My body has adjusted and, I’m sure, will keep responding to IF. Fasting easier now with fewer bouts of wooziness and I need that little extra snack less often. I’ve been losing weight slow but steady – about one pound a week.

I agree, as others have said, that your own body awareness is important when you fast. This method is flexible enough to try out different eating schedules to see what works for you. Most likely a schedule that works for today’s fast will evolve to something a bit different tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses and thoughtful points. I will try again and perhaps take it really easy the following day. Went on holiday and ate with others so will low carb for a week then try again.

About a year ago, I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia. This, after I passed out one morning from low blood sugar and had several weak and foggy events. I had started a routine of eating a small bowl of ordinary cereal to tide me over until I ate a more substantial breakfast two hours later. The fast-carb cereal triggered the overproduction of insulin. Research led me to eating steel cut oats instead which digest more slowly. This did stabilize my blood sugar during this routine. I was still frightened of being out somewhere and having a reactive episode, so always carried snacks and when I would feel the slightest tinge of hunger would eat. Of course, I was gaining weight. When I heard about the 5:2 diet, I was really intrigued, but thought I couldn’t do it. But wanted to try. The first day, I checked my fasting blood sugar on rising and it was 98. I ate a 250 calorie steel cut oatmeal meal, with blueberries, to start the day, and began testing my blood sugar hourly. The first two hours were critical, it spiked a bit then down to the 90’s. During the entire day, no matter how hungry I was, blood sugar was OK, in fact one reading was 107. This totally amazed me and may be atypical. I’m not giving the diet credit… I may have been misinterpreting my reactive hypo, but now, I am not afraid of hunger and freed from carrying snacks. I’ve been on the diet for four weeks and have lost 12 pounds. Plus, I feel great! My reactive hypo may not be as severe as others, so don’t try this diet casually. Side Note: I have been taking a small amount of prednasone to relieve the symptoms of polymyalgia rheumatica for a year. A couple of weeks after starting 5:2, I stopped the pred and no symptoms. Sometims this malady spontaneously goes away on its own so can’t confirm the diet was the reason.

wow

what a cool story

being a type2diab nice 2 hear!

congrats on ur loss of 12 lbs!!

i’m off going 2 bed early 😀

I am back! I thought I would ease myself into 5:2 by being gentle. It seems to have worked. I have just done my fourth fast day and plan to go to work (physical job for 8 hours).

I try to avoid sugar, do not eat pre prepared food. OK 85% cocoa solid chocolate……. do fairly well at that.

Started missing breakfast and that went well. Then added exercise in the morning on top. Like the others in this thread, I realised getting hungry was not ‘the end’ and I would not collapse. Aim was to try and become a fat burner.

A headache yesterday – it resolved with a cup of vegetable broth 10 cals, instant black coffee and some exercise. I was amazed.

So now I will only eat breakfast to break a fast! Not checked weight yet, that is not so important, a few pounds would do. More interested in becoming free of feeling the need to eat so often.

If work is extra hard today I will re jiggle fast days. I work intermittently.

A nervous start for me – 1st fast day today (hubby doing too)

I have always carried on-board snacks (cold pressed fruit nut bars)

I have always had low blood pressure & have also suffered low blood sugar episodes (blurred vision/loss of balance).

I truly want this to work because I 100% believe that fasting is healthy – just got to get there with B.Pressure & B.Sugars OK.

I have read some of the threads… and will try to just see any episodes through.

Hi Lisa
    This thread is really quite old! I persevered and lost 12lbs which has stayed off. I did not want to lose more. Rather than doing fast days now, unless I wanted to shed more weight, I just do not eat till noon or 1 pm, have an early supper around 6/7 which gives me a fast every night. Sometimes I break it if visiting, travelling etc

I realised my problem was high insulin. Thing is to not eat sugar and dried fruit if you can. You may find your bars are giving you an insulin response. My fat was all round my middle, it took a while to go and I often did three fast days in a week. There is diabetes in my family so I think there is a genetic tendency to react to sugar, fruit and alcohol. Nuts are a good snack rather than fruit. High fat suits me but everyone is different.

I had to go gently initially as I reported before. I think the wobbly feelings were connected with my body switching to fat burning. This is only my personal ideas and report of what I did. As others reported, I am free of concern re my next meal now and can miss meals if necessary. Learning to accept normal hunber as natural and coping with it is liberating!

All the best to you

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.