Population response to information on reversibility of Type 2 diabetes

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
Population response to information on reversibility of Type 2 diabetes

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wiltldnrUSA 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• good news

Abstract
    Aims
    Following publication of the Counterpoint Study (on the reversibility of Type 2 diabetes using a very low energy diet), the extent of public interest prompted the authors to make available, on a website, general information about reversing diabetes. Shortly thereafter, individuals began to feed back their personal experiences of attempting to reverse their diabetes. We have collated this information on the effects of energy restriction in motivated individuals with Type 2 diabetes that has been achieved outside a research setting.

Methods
    Emails, letters and telephone communications received between July 2011 and September 2012 were evaluated (n = 77: 66 men, 11 women). Median diabetes duration was 5.5 years (3 months–28 years). Reversal of diabetes was defined as achieving fasting capillary blood glucose < 6.1 mmol/l and/or, if available, HbA1c less than 43 mmol/mol (6.1%) off treatment.

Results
    Self-reported weight fell from 96.7 ± 17.5 kg at baseline to 81.9 ± 14.8 kg after weight loss (P < 0.001). Self-reported fasting blood glucose levels fell from 8.3 mmol/l (5.9–33.0) to 5.5 mmol/l (4.0–10.0) after the weight loss period (P < 0.001). Diabetes reversal was considered to have occurred in 61% of the population. Reversal of diabetes was observed in 80, 63 and 53% of those with > 20, 10–20 and < 10 kg weight loss, respectively. There was a significant correlation between degree of weight loss and reported fasting glucose levels (Rs –0.38, P = 0.006). Reversal rates according to diabetes duration were: short (< 4 years) = 73%, medium (4–8 years) = 56% and long (> 8 years) = 43%.

Conclusion
    These data demonstrate that intentional weight loss achieved at home by health-motivated individuals can reverse Type 2 diabetes. Diabetes reversal should be a goal in the management of Type 2 diabetes.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/dme.12116/abstract

Thanks for info USA. I notice that you are one of the great posters on here. I appreciate your research efforts.

hardjudge

thanks 4 ur kind thoughts

I have widdled down about 15 lbs and a couple of pant sizes since I started 4:3 mostly on August 8. I am type II diabetic and my A1C has dropped from the high 6s to 5.9. Other blood work in progress and I had it done in June so I have a reference. Since you have done so much research, I have a blood pressure issue you might have encountered. In the last two weeks my blood pressure has ranged from 180/101 to 60/44 which has my doctor confused to say the least. My blood pressure goes down with moderate exercise. (2 1/2 miles walking in about 45 min and light weight lifting). Any ideas?

hardjudge

wow woooooooooo hoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!! since august 8 i’m 26 since march 2

that’s incredible u must be so proud

i do the 3 min a week exercise of dr mosley

THE-TRUTH-ABOUT-EXERCISE By dr mosley

http://vimeo.com/51836895

i take the meds 4 high blood pressure 2

i can’t find the study but i know it said that the people who were type2ers & no longer went of all their meds but shouldn’t have 4 high blood pressure ones because they died of those complications ugh

what supplements & meds r u taking? we can compare

also did u read very recently what this cardiologist said?

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/reversing-type-2-diabetes-the-fastday-lifestyle/page/3/#post-13565

nice 2 find a fellow type2 (not really we both do not want 2 be a type2er 🙁 )

happy nonfastdays & fastdays

wiltldnrUSA, I will try to compile a list of my supplements, it is quite long. Today is my weekly weight in. I lost another 4lbs, so I am now down 19 lbs since starting August 12.(I think I may have previously said Aug 8, but I checked and it was a Monday, August 12, 2013. I am now at 231 with a goal of 170. Hope you had a good weekend. Look forward to hearing from you.

hardjudge

cool 4 lbs more fantaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaastic!!!!!!!!

by the way je suis une femme i’m sure my profile has that 🙂

this has affected in such a good way i will never forget the date i started which is weird 3/2/13

what i take

since 2009

meds

metformin twice daily 500mg

2 @ night niacin slow release

enalapril 10mg 1 a day
    hctz 25mg 1 a day

costco mature multi

omega3

cinnamon

vinegar

garlic

b100

magnesium

feverfew

red yeast

d

all weeknd & 2day fastday did my taxes ugh

do love efile

happy nonfastdays & fastdays or 4/2/1 or 3/3/1 or adf w/1 or 6/1 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.