Patronisation of older people – is it worse if you are "cuddly"?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Support, chat and encourage
Patronisation of older people – is it worse if you are "cuddly"?

This topic contains 93 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  _deleted account 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 44 posts - 51 through 94 (of 94 total)

• Quick and Nika, I’d like to think that the guys who help Quick with her groceries and filled up the water cooler for Nika, were just being polite and helpful rather than patronising. Unless of course they called you darling or sweetheart in that small child/domestic pet voice in the process. I often have to ask for help reaching to supermarket shelves and have been know to climb up the things when no one over 5 ft tall can be seen.For what it’s worth I’m also perfectly happy to give up my seat on the bus or tube to anyone of any age or gender who needs it more than I do.

Quick’s experience at the bank reminds me of the days of the Woman’s Hour message board when a regular poster was a woman, then 72, who was an IT whizz. She used to take great pleasure in blinding with science any patronising young person in a computer store when they came out with the usual spiel about older people finding computers confusing. She enjoyed watching their faces turning red and even green.

sylvestra, I love the Shackleton quote. It made me think of a fairly recent article by Howard Jacobsonin The Independent. Can’t remember the actual subject but it may well have been comparing and contrasting the novels of Jane Austen with Fifty Shades of Grey. The opening line read as follows: It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a blow job. There we go, lowering the tone again. Fun, isn’t it!

You’re right toms, the market is saturated. I sell a reasonable amount online – it’ll never make me rich! – and via a local selling site but I have stopped doing craft fairs as every second stall was jewellery. I’m concentrating on the Scottish/Celtic side now as the market for that is better.

Maybe I should play the sweet little old lady card and people can feel sorry for me and patronise me by buying!!!!! Aye, that’ll be happening too 😀

toms/quick – appearing helpless has it’s uses and I confess to using that tactic when it suits me to do so…..shame on me – ha ha

Nika – one thing living this long has taught me is that sometimes you have to just stroke those, often fragile, male egos by letting them be the ‘strong helpful guy’. And, personally, yes – I know I can do it as well, and possibly better, but hey! I just step back and let them get on with it. Their mothers may have gone to a lot of trouble to instil manners and it’s not my place to destroy that. I don’t feel patronised and it makes them feel good.

toms and sylvestra, I don’t know if it ethical to ask this on the Fast Diet site, but could you give me your respective website details. As a wearer and collector of interesting earrings for myself and others, and have recently turned my attention to pendants, I could possibly put a bit of business your way.

@ toms mantis

“Rocky, what’s this about a drone?”

For years, I’ve had a fascination with robots and more recently with drones. Finally, the price of drones are coming down to an affordable diversion. They apparently get lost and damaged easily.

Recently, Amazon announced an initiative for a drone package delivery system of the future:

http://techland.time.com/2013/12/01/amazon-bezos-drones/

I’m open to the drone experience and want to explore aerial photographic possibilities.

I may have to come up with a better reason to give to my wife soon.

It’s our future in the present.

Rocky, wow. Would love a robot to do the housework! Good luck with your photography experiments. I like the little fellow, whose name I can’t remember, who can walk upstairs. He’s white with a dark face if I remember correctly. Even if he is a bit spooky. Fasting today and having a late lunch of hot water, honey and lemon juice. Was having a struggle so decided to do without breakfast and not eat until dinner. Up to now fine.

Hermaj, sadly, I don’t have a website, am considering one for next year. Just thought I’d see if anyone wanted my stuff first. Have looked on Sylvestras site, details on her profile. Thank you for your interest! Love it.

hermaj – as toms said my website is included in my profile, thanks for asking. Earrings there certainly are aplenty. It was my love of earrings that set me off making jewellery in the first place.

Your earrings are just my sort of thing, sylvestra. Some very serious thought will have to be given. At the moment I’m spoilt for choice, they are all so lovely. Are all the ones shown on the Facebook page still available?

@hermaj, yeah of course I get that the guys filling the water cooler may just have been nice… but then he should’ve given up after I said “I’ll do it” four times, shouldn’t he? He basically shoved me aside and when I said I’d do it he looked at me with a really puzzled look.
    This is China, where the women are still supposed to have white skin (they carry umbrellas when the sun is out) and the men are the only ones allowed to be strong. I call that a different form of patronizing 🙂

@nika
    “but then he should’ve given up after I said “I’ll do it” four times, shouldn’t he? ”

More so than happiness and even love, a deeper desire in men is to be needed.

At some level, men serve women. It’s more than social etiquette.

It’s how we communicate.

Well it’s bull as far as I’m concerned 😛 I can take care of myself and don’t enjoy it when men feel like they have to “serve” me. Maybe if they offer it once sure, but don’t steamroll over me like that because it’s ‘how men communicate’?

Let’s hear it for sylvestra, ladies. I persuaded my other half to buy me some of the beautiful earrings she makes as a Christmas present. They arrived today having been ordered on Monday or Tuesday. I’d already used up all my self-control on not eating naughty things, so when Himself asked whether I wanted to wait for Christmas or open them now, you can guess what I answered.
    They are absolutely stunning, very modestly priced – I ended up with 5 pairs instead of the admittedly beautiful but rather pricy pair I originally asked for – and elegantly presented. I’d hazard a guess that there are some very talented people among the 5:2 brigade; sylvestra is certainly one of them. So go on, treat yourself or someone you love. You can find her contact details in her profile.

Point taken, nika. I hadn’t absorbed the fact that he asked you four times. I think that qualifies as patronisation.

Oh Hermaj – weren’t you supposed to wait till 25th??? 😀

Thank you for your kind words. I am absolutely delighted that you like your earrings. I was also totally amazed when your OH emailed me this morning to say the packaged had arrived, it was only posted at around 1.30pm yesterday!!!

Thank you for the recommendation xx

Nika…I hadn’t grasped the ‘four times’ either…sorry x

I know, I know, sylvestra. My excuse is that we are going away for Christmas and sod’s law says my OH might forget to take them with him. Anyway,they are beautiful. I must now order a further supply of plastic butterflies. Because I have a little short neck, earrings can collide with collars, which can be fatal for earrings on hooks. I’ve lost some lovely ones in the past.

Hope you haven’t been too much affected by the stormy weather in Scotland.

It was blowing a hooley today and every so often there was blizzard conditions. I had decided that today (which was a ‘two) would be a ‘ dance between the kitchen and the dining room day’ – the two rooms with hard floors – instead of walking.

However between the cards sitting on the table waiting to be posted and the dog with a ‘when’s my walk happening’ look on his face despite me telling him one day without won’t hurt you, I decided to brave the elements and head for the post box which is nearly a mile away. We live in a rural area!

So fleece lined winter jacket, boots, woolly hat, scarf and gloves donned off I went. Oh my giddy aunt! It was arctic! It didn’t take long to get to the post box, I was nearly running with the foce of the wind on my back but on the way back I was walking straight into the icy blast. Two steps forward and one back!! It was snowing like blazes again so by the time I reached home the front of my jacket was plastered with snow, my face was stinging and my fingers had gone numb. Even the dog was looking like he wished he hadn’t bothered.

The things I do to lose weight!!!! 😀 And all I had at the end of it, because it was a ‘two’, was a mug of black coffee and a self righteous feeling!!!

@hermajtomomi
    ” I hadn’t absorbed the fact that he asked you four times. I think that qualifies as patronisation.”

Or hard of hearing.

Or persistent.

Or just wanted to be a good guy.

Whatever it was meant, it soured for both sides.

Hehe don’t worry about not noticing things guys, it’s all good :p And it give us more excuses to keep posting!

Wow Sylvestra, that sounds terrible! But also quite cool… haven’t seen a blizzard in a long time 😛

@rocky, I’m all for trying to be a good guy, don’t get me wrong 🙂 I’m one of those people who tend to try the same. But even you must realize that if someone says “It’s ok, I’ll do it” for FOUR times, it’s time to quit. Apparently that person doesn’t need your help.

Anyway, we’ve milked the subject of the watercooler long enough I think, it wasn’t that important anyway xD And I did change the water myself today! Mostly because it was early and no-one noticed I think 😛

I’m briefly reviving the patronisation thread because, instead of getting on with the translation I’m supposed to be doing, I’ve just been listening to an old edition of Desert Island Discs when the castaway was Raymond Tallis, a Renaissance man if ever there was one, whose main occupation was as Professor of Geriatric Medicine at the University of Manchester and a consultant physician in Health Care of the Elderly in Salford.
    During the programme he outlined what he taught trainee gerontologists about how to treat older patients, transcribed below:
    “First of all, not to call them by their first name.” [I’m not sure about that. Better first name than constant failure to pronounce surname as I know from experience. Why do you think I’m remarried to a guy with a regular sort of surname?]. However the professor says: “If anyone calls me Raymond or poppet while I’m in hospital, I will not be accountable for my actions. I think the second thing is not speaking to that individual in a sort of kindergarten patois. The third thing is to actually acknowledge their individual needs and, of course, in addition, that you treat them appropraiately in the technical sense.” Amen to all that!

Great post Hermajtomoni!! 😉

I agree with his ‘second and third things’ wholeheartedly but I’d rather be called by my first name (why not?) than have my surname mispronounced or be called ‘dear’, ‘lovie’ or any other supposed ‘endearment’.

The sad thing, and what makes me angry, is that he has to make these points in the first place. Patients are people whatever their age and as such should be treated with respects and not, as happens all too often, like lumps of meat – whose dignity and feelings are not worth bothering about – being shunted around.

I shall fold up my soapbox now, and leave it in the corner there for the next ‘ranter’ 😀

Hi sylvestra,
    My turn on the soapbox.
    I agree with all you say and what might make you angrier still is the fact that the programme was broadcast in March 2007 and it would seem that nothing has improved since then.
    I guess it’s fine and dandy to instill the idea of respecting older patients and not addressing them in “kindergarten patois” – I love that expression – into future gerontologists, but it’s lower down the food chain that the problems of lack of care and patronisation occur.
    It could be argued that having to work within the constraints of understaffing and cuts in NHS funding, people like nurses, ancilliary workers and junior doctors don’t have time to be concerned with things like patients’ dignity and feelings, irrespective of age. So it seems a no-brainer to say that interpersonal skills should be part of their training. Or are health professionals actually taught to use endearments and baby voices? I have visions of them sitting round in patronisation seminars.
    Things might change if and when more and more older people refuse to put up with this crap behaviour and prompt, and if possible report to higher authority, anyone who treats them as anything less than intelligent human beings. Fortunately being in rude health I haven’t had much to do with NHS establishment apart from a nasty case of shingles dangerously close to the eyes – the result of the blasted steroids I’d been given for polymyalgia screwing up my immune system – had the quack dispatching me to out-patients early in 2010. While the doctors and senior nursing staff I dealt with were exemplary I did have to give the departmental receptionist a rocket for calling me darling. I confess the shock on her face gave me a certain sadistic pleasure.

Hermaj. Oh dear. Poor receptionist! You’re obviously a no nonsense person. Had the same problem with the receptionist at my GP surgery. She said a few sentences and ended everyone of them with “lovey”. My replies consisted of the same with the last word being stressed sarcastically. She ended by apologising and saying she wasn’t trying to be funny, and now she always calls me by my first name, which I don’t mind. As you say, the imagined seminar are hilarious!

Oh dear…I can just see both of you in high dudgeon (where is that anyway?) and two very chastened receptionists!!

I have done this more than once …a car park attendant who was told in no uncertain terms that I was NOT his darling. One of the radiographers in the mammagram caravan who kept calling me ‘my dear’ and a nurse in outpatients – young enough to be my grand-daughter who addressed me as ‘honey’. they may think carefully before they do it to someone else!!

Do you think they have a ‘word of the week’ ….darling this week, lovey next etc etc. It’s probably a good think we don’t all attend the same GP 😀 😀

I also had occasion to tick off the GP’s receptionist for the same reason as toms. Her reply was “most people like it”! I sent a written complaint to the practice manager. I never got a reply, but no receptionist has shown such unwanted affection since. A sales assistant in the local chemist’s addressed me as “my sweetheart”. When I complainted she replied “Sorry, darling”. What IS a girl to do? I’m convinced that on average, women are far more guilty of patronisation than men, although of course there are exceptions, like sylvestra’s car-park guy.

One thing impressed me on one of my research trips to Glasgow in the summer. I went into a number of high street chain stores and was interested to see how sales staff managed to be courteous and friendly to customers across the age range, with not a dear or a darling to be heard. Until, that was, I got to M&S when the woman at the check-out addressed me as “darling” in a distinctly south of the border accent. Apart from that, I was addressed as “pal” by a cabby and a bus-driver, which didn’t bother me at all, sounding more matey than patronising. Maybe Glaswegians should be hired as trainers in how to treat the public.

One minor victory. For a long time my OH thought I was making an unnecessary fuss about nothing. Sometimes I think British men of a certain age can be a little bit insensitive. Besides, they tend to get called, “sir” or “gov”. A couple of weeks ago his mum had a brief stay in hospital. He later told me that and when a nurse called m-i-l “darling”, he turned to his mum and said “Hermaj wouldn’t put up with that. She’d go ballistic”. His tone was definitely one of approval.

Can just imagine the poor receptionist popping tranquillisers if we all shared the same GP, but bet she wouldn’t use endearments again. I don’t mind my first name being used. I object to the lovey because they DO know my name but can’t be bothered to use it. I don’t mind when people call me mate, which is often used here and use it myself at times. Fasting today, have found it easier to not eat until the evening, so am going to do some sewing after the minimum of housework. Got to keep my mind off food!

@sylvestra

“The sad thing, and what makes me angry, is that he has to make these points in the first place. Patients are people whatever their age and as such should be treated with respects and not, as happens all too often, like lumps of meat – whose dignity and feelings are not worth bothering about – being shunted around.”

It may seem that it’s more of how you may be treated than how you are addressed of importance here.

We may agree that as we age, others will treat us with less respect and value. It seems to be the norm in most western societies.

I choose to be humbler because of it.

As a .’Newbie’ I’m just enjoying reading through so much of what has been said here. I ought really to be doing the ironing but this is more fun!
    I’ve taken the liberty of copying and pasting some of what has been said and adding my comments.
    As you will notice I am not in the first flush of youth! 🙂
    “I still have a way to go and can reasonably be described as “cuddly”. It seems to be widely assumed, at least in the UK, that when a person reaches a landmark age – in some people’s book it can be as early as 50 – he or she suddenly loses half their brain and becomes incapable of understanding anything but the simplest language, has to be spoken to very slowly and very loudly, ”

Personally I don’t think being cuddly has anything to do with it. Nor do I feel that young people patronise the elderly.
    I do however feel that persons in positions of authority allow that authority to go to their (probably not highly educated ) heads.
    Especially those who run Housing Schemes for Older People.
    http://www.agenda-efa.org.uk/site/2013/07/the-current-shambles-in-sheltered-housing/

Should you, I and all the other kindred spirits form an Association of Hell’s Grannies? We could all wear t-shirts with such slogans as “Patronise me at your peril! or “Diss me if you dare!”.
    Yes, we quite definitely should give it serious concern!
    “I find it difficult to morph into the sweet little old lady that some of the less enlightened would have me be.’ yes, indeed!!!”
    I’m afraid it’s far too late for me to become a ‘sweet old lady’ Nor do I wish to do so. I’d rather carry on as the person I am, old enough and healthy ( enough!) to defend the rights of older people to have fun while getting older and most of all to be treated with respect.
    “Getting old is certainly a pain in many ways but much better than the alternative. Besides, getting healthy and losing weight almost always makes you look younger.” I hope so:)
    We live in what used to be Sheltered Housing and isn’t any more.
    Some of those who live here have ‘fallen into a black hole’ as far as care and concern goes.
    This is where I give thanks to God that I have this ‘stroppy gene’ which has enabled myself and a friend to take on the powers that be and rock the boat right into the water with quite effective results, including having the cabinet Minister for Social Care in Surrey come to meet with us.
    “there can be times when it is practical to appear helpless”
    Definitely, and I don’t even feel guilty about it. Just try to make sure that the person I’ve requested help from feels really valued and appreciated.
    Everyone on this earth needs to feel valued and appreciated. Especially those who render acts of kindness to others.
    Along with many of you I find being bracketed as ” elderly”, or “old” or ” not quite with it” EXTREMELY offensive. Smiley

Hi wicken,

I’m supposed to be working so I’ll keep it brief. I’m in agreement with pretty well all that you say, particularly about the attitude of people in positions of authority. I have to say, however,that I have experienced patronisation from people younger than myself. Maybe I look really do look daft and pathetic. 🙂

Nevertheless, I do agree that the very young, i.e. teens and twenties, are far less likely to be guilty than the slightly more mature. Certainly, those in that age group who know me well would fall about slapping their thighs laughing at any suggestion that I am decrepit, brainless and past it. After all, among other things, silly old biddies don’t tend to go back to uni.

I think in general terms, these young ones possibly don’t even notice age (although when you are 16, even 35 seems distinctly elderly). I never thought of my nan as old. She was just a wise, intelligent grown-up who was great fun to be with.

The worst offenders are middle-aged women. For some reason, men are not nearly as bad, although there are some sexist individuals who patronise women right across the board, irrespective of age. The females offenders seem to think they are doing you a favour by speaking VERY LOUDLY and v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-ly in the sort of voice used for 3-year-olds.

As I’m sure is the case with pretty well everyone on the forum of a certain age and of both genders, I am fortunate in not coming across as a stereotypical oldie, like the sad souls in that Beeb News image I put up yesterday. Good genes, good posture, good health and good (or at least not bad)dress sense see to that. Even so, I started to notice at 60 or so, when my age appeared in writing on some document, there was an immediate change of tone.

I particularly approve of what Raymond Tallis had to say about training future gerontologists how to engage with their patients (see one of the last posts on the thread). Pity there aren’t a few more like him out there.

I love this thread. Unfortunately its not only age that brings on the patronising attitude. I have advanced breast cancer, and since being diagnosed with cancer so many people around me have lost their minds. They now either see me as a saint or a child :lol:.

No more invites for drinks or parties, actually I don’t get invited to anything that happens after dark. Now its coffee and cake, and everyone must speak softly and slowly and not mention the “C” word. Heaven forbid I’m having a shit day and express that, well then I’m reminded that I must not think like that and I must just “be positive!”. My circle is getting smaller, I don’t have the patience or the energy to deal with that stuff. 😉

Kvetina
    “I love this thread. Unfortunately its not only age that brings on the patronising attitude. I have advanced breast cancer, and since being diagnosed with cancer so many people around me have lost their minds. They now either see me as a saint or a child :lol:. ”

I’m so sorry that you are feeling like that. It’s partly due to the inability of those close to you to know how to cope.
    If you are well enough and can afford it, make yourself a ‘bucket list’ and enjoy everything on it.
    Have you ever seen the film ” The Bucket List” It’s about 2 terminally ill people who set out to fulfil their bucket lists. It’s hilariously funny as well as brilliant acting. Hopefully it may make you laugh and see the funny side of having the big C and peoples’ reaction to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgaZfQbRxkU

You will be in my thoughts. Smiley

Hi Kvetina – lovely name, BTW. It sounds sort of Eastern European.

I confess it never occurred to me that people might choose to be patronising to someone with a serious illness. Thank you for making me think.

You sound like a strong, determined, fun person and the attitude of the would-be-goods around you must drive you bonkers. They mean no harm, I’m sure. Wicken is right in saying they probably don’t know how to cope.

I always try to speak in a friendly, matter-off-fact way about illness and/or bereavement – another situation that sends people scurrying to the opposite side of the road. It seems to work and I’ve had some appreciative responses. I remember one recently-bereaved friend in peals of laughter as we talked about some of the naughty, sometimes hilarious, things her late brother got up to in his youth. In a funny way, it also cemented our friendship.

Might you possibly have the nerve to confront your friends? Something on the lines of OK I’m ill (even mention the big C if you feel comfortable doing so). I do have shit days and it’s my privilege to feel sorry for myself now and again, so advice to be ‘positive’ is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. But my brain’s still working, I still like going out and being with my mates, and by the way I AM allowed out after dark.

Meanwhile, take care of yourself, carry on doing all the things you enjoy, but don’t blame yourself if you don’t feel up to it. I’ll be rooting for you. 🙂

I’ve read this thread from the beginning and offer apologies for not remembering or checking who made a particular point. I mean no disrespect by this. Finding individual posts out of 83 is rather time consuming. I hope I’m forgiven!

One of the things that annoys me intensely is the patronisation of older people in NHS hospitals. I’ve seen many older family members putting up with being called by their first name or a spurious endearment (by young nurses who have never met them till that day) when Mr or Mrs Whatever should be the ‘default setting’ until an invitation is issued to use a more familiar name. This is often caused by form filling where the full name is entered but may not be the name the patient is known by. My father-in-law (who fought in WWII, dying of a delayed diagnosis) was persistently called Henry by nursing staff. He never went by that name but certainly recognised himself as Mr Whatever. In the same way, my M-i-L had Mary written on the board behind her bed no matter how many times I told nursing staff she never used that name! This casual disrespect masquerades as friendliness but was negated by the regular positioning of her over-bed trolley out of her reach after doctor’s rounds (glass of water on here) and the delivery of morning and afternoon tea to a patient left at an angle in bed where any attempt to drink it would have resulted in it spilling down her chest.

It’s a problem because many people feel reluctant to say, “I prefer you to call me Mr or Mrs Name.” There’s no excuse for forgetting a longer name when it’s written on a whiteboard behind the bed. These older people grew up in a time where a proper title was a mark of respect and respectability.

Thanks for putting up with a rant that’s been sitting on my chest for a long time.

Lizzypb

Well done you Lizzypb.
    Personally I think ‘rants’ are good for the blood pressure.
    Something which really annoys me is when one makes a legitimate complaint to someone’s line manager only to receive a reply that it’s been ‘looked into’ and there’s no case to answer. That’s without them even bothering to speak to the complainant to hear their legitimate complaint.
    This is not how we addressed complaints when I was teaching.
    We had respect for both parties and heard both individually, then together.
    It’s so disrespectful to imply that being of a certain age means you don’t know what you’re talking about.
    GRrrrrrr!!

Hi lizzy,

As the instigator of the thread, I’m delighted to have given you the opportunity for a well-earned rant. This first name business reminds me of what happened to my own dad. The nursing staff insisted on calling him Frederick, which was indeed his first name. But all his friends and family addressed him as Mac – no idea why – and only his brother called him Fred. No-one on the planet ever called him Frederick.

I wouldn’t have a problem with the use of my first name rather than having my surname mispronounced. Until I remarried 4 years ago (to a chap with a not uncommon British surname) I still had my first husband’s name. He was half Spanish and his surname was only five letters long but the average Brit couldn’t pronounce it, I don’t know why. As it ended in the letter a, some – even my professional association – thought it was my first name, and called me by a name I won’t give in case someone on the forum has it and I HATE it.

If you read one of my very late posts about the professor of gerontology, you’ll have seen his personal reaction to the way older people are addressed and dealt with in hospital. Should I find myself in the same predicament, I shall react in exactly the same way. I’ll probably end my days in a mental institution because if I’m in good enough condition to go off on one, they will more than likely have me sectioned.

Hi wicken,

I read the link you put up regarding sheltered housing. Isn’t it preposterous that in this nanny state so much time and effort and doubtless lots of cash are spent on campaigns to turn us all into lily-livered wimps constantly waiting to be infected, injured or killed by mostly harmless substances or activities? Meanwhile, precious little is done to oversee the correct management and operation of sheltered housing and ensuring that the needs of residents are properly met. It’s all about priorities and someone, somewhere among the great and good is getting them all wrong.

On the subject of protests, a few years ago BBC PM on Radio 4 included a report from one of the party conferences, where a large number of older campaigners for improvements in a range of policies relating to people of their generation started barracking the then Minister for Work and Pensions. His reaction was to tell them to ‘calm down’. ‘We don’t want anyone having a heart attack, now, do we?’ How dare he! Patronising so-and-so! Makes me furious just remembering it.

Hemaj

You just wouldn’t believe the patronising and profoundly discourteous way Residents in what used to be Sheltered Housing are treated.
    I suppose it’s no wonder I’m an ‘old strop’ as I utterly refuse to be patronised and walked all over and I will NOT EVER keep my mouth closed about their inadequacies.
    My husband ( who is chair of the Residents’ Association) and I and a few others, currently have a Dossier which has gone to the Ombudsman to highlight what is happening.
    The sad thing is it’s the old problem “Money is the root of all evil”
    There is no money to provide adequate care and help. Each day more cuts are made. The Warden’s post was abolished 3 years ago. Welfare does not appear to be anyone’s concern.
    One of the good things is that some of us still have sufficient health, strength, BRAINS and stroppiness, to carry on rocking the boat on behalf of those who need help most. I think the powers that be would be very happy if we upped sticks and went somewhere else.
    Just a small example.
    A lady who resides in one of the flats here is completely bedridden. It was not always so. She used to go up to London to the theatre and all sorts of things. Now, rheumatoid arthritis has put an end to all that. I admire her so much because I have never once heard her moan .
    Last weekend her Care Agency phoned her and said no evening call would be made, no-one was coming til the morning. The lady in question phoned me in a distraught state.
    I went down to her flat. Got on the phone and proceeded to raise merry hell til we were told someone would come. It’s sad that people are treated like this.
    It makes me feel as though I’ll be at Heaven’s door ( if I ever get there) and still be the sort of person I would much rather not be. Although I cannot see me ever being a docile little thing wearing a muzzle! Smiley

Having said all that, I firmly believe life is for LIVING and ENJOYING.
    I am grateful every day of my life for a most wonderful husband who helps to make it so.. even though he doesn’t want to trey the 5.2 🙂
    Sunday will be our 46th Wedding Anniversary. No 5.2 that day. We are going to a lovely Chinese Restaurant 🙂

Hello again, Hermaj (may I call you that :)) Kvetina is Czech for flower. People are very funny about anything to do with death, perhaps we are now too protected or isolated from it. The road crossing thing is so apt, and heaven forbid you actually answer someone who asks how you are 😆 I have tried on numerous occasions to speak to people about this, thinking I could put them at ease, they would just rather avoid it at all costs. That’s when I give up as I find myself expending too much energy and effort making them feel comfortable. I’ve been living with this for 8 years, so its now normal for me.

Wicken, thank you for such a lovely reply. I am very lucky in that I have completed my bucket list! Completing those things has always been my treat for completing another round of treatment, its nice to have something to look forward to after being poisoned, burnt or poked 😆

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary, that is just wonderful.

This is a poem written by a Nurse. It says a great deal about how we perceive people or how some don’t wish to even bother to look, really look, at the person.

“Crabbit Old Woman”

What do you see nurses?
    What do you see?
    What are you thinking when you are looking at me?
    A crabbit old woman not very wise
    Uncertain of habit with far away eyes
    Who dribbles her food and makes no reply,
    When you say in a loud voice ‘I do wish you’d try’
    Who seems not to notice the things that you do
    And forever is losing a stocking or shoe
    Who, unresisting or not, lets you do as you will
    With bathing and feeding the long day to fill
    Is that what you’re thinking? Is that what you see?
    Then open your eyes nurse,
    You’re not looking at me.
    I’ll tell you who I am as I sit here so still
    As I use at your bidding, as I eat at your will.
    I’m a small child of ten with a father and mother
    Brothers and sisters who love one another,
    A young girl of sixteen with wings on her feet,
    Dreaming that soon now a lover she’ll meet:
    A bride soon at twenty my heart gives a leap
    Remembering the vows I promised to keep:
    At twenty five now I have young of my own
    Who need me to build a secure and happy home.
    A young woman of thirty my young now grow fast
    Bound to each other with ties that should last:
    At forty my young ones now grown will soon be gone
    But my man stays beside me to see I don’t mourn
    At fifty once more babies play round my knee,
    Again we know children my loved one and me,
    Dark days are upon me, my husband is dead
    I look at the future I shudder with dread
    For my young ones are all busy rearing young of their own,
    And I think of the years and love I have known
    I’m an old woman now and nature is cruel
    ‘Tis her jest to make me age like a fool
    The body it crumbles, grace and vigour depart,
    There now is a stone where I once had a heart:
    But inside this old carcase a young girl still dwells,
    And now and again my battered heart swells,
    I remember the joys, I remember the pain,
    And I’m loving and living my life over again
    I think of the years all too few – gone too fast,
    And accept the stark fact that nothing can last
    So open your eyes nurse, open and see,
    Not a crabbit old woman
    Look closer – see ME.

Crabbit Old Woman, also variously titled Look Closer,[1]Look Closer Nurse, Kate, Open Your Eyes[2] or What Do You See?,[3] is a poem written in 1966 by Phyllis McCormack, then working as a nurse in Sunnyside Hospital, Montrose. The poem is written in the voice of an old woman in a nursing home who is reflecting upon her life. Crabbit is Scots for “bad-tempered” or “grumpy”.
    The poem appeared in the Nursing Mirror in December 1972 without attribution. Phyllis McCormack explained in a letter to the journal that she wrote the poem in 1966 for her hospital newsletter.[4]
    This story was corroborated by an article from the Daily Mail on 12 March 1998, where Phyllis McCormack’s son wrote that his mother composed it in the 1960s, where she submitted it anonymously to a small magazine intended just for Sunnyside with the title “Look Closer Nurse”.
    The next year, the poem was published in Chris Searle’s poetry anthology Elders (Reality Press, 1973), without title or attribution. Subsequently, a wealth of urban legend has sprung up surrounding this humble work. Most of the legend associated with this poem attributes it to a senile elderly woman in a Dundee nursing home (or sometimes an Irish nursing home), where a nurse found it while packing her belongings following her death.[5] Searle himself was quoted in 1998 as saying of the poem’s authorship: “I don’t think we’ll ever know. I accepted it as authentic.” (i.e. as the authentic writing of an infirm old woman).[2]
    The poem, which paints a rather sad picture of a decrepit woman’s final days in care, has been quoted in various works written for and about the caring professions in order to highlight the importance of maintaining the dignity of the lives of elderly patients. It is also included in the Edexcel IGCSE English Literature poetry anthology.

Rather wonderful don’t you think?

Smiley

Thank you Wicken, that was rather wonderful indeed.

My wonderful MIL is nearly 90 and one of the most amazing women I have ever met. Unfortunately, time is not being kind to her, and her mind is starting to slow and get a little lost at times. But, oh, when she is present, you can still see the twinkle in her eye, and her wicked sense of humour has had me in tears from laughing more times than I can remember. She is tired and is ready to go and join her late husband, and ending up in care is her biggest fear.

Brilliant poem, wicken. Thanks for sharing it and providing all the back-up information. If only they would – see ME, I mean.

On a totally different subject. Only days ago you were asking how to do smilies. Now you are the expert. I’d love some tuition, please.

And happy 46th anniversary. What better way to celebrate than a lovely Chinese? 5:2 should definitely go out of the window on that day.

Kvetina, sorry to hear you’ve had to put up with this rubbish for eight years. What is it with people? They seem to label someone as an illness with a person attached, rather than a person who, apart from being ill, is just like everyone else and wants to have a life.

I could recast the sentence to cover people’s reaction to anyone who has been around the block a few times.

It’s great that you’ve completed your bucket list. It might be fun to start another. I was about to say have a lovely day, but it’s probably bedtime where you are. Have a good sleep and a lovely day tomorrow. 🙂

Thanks for telling us about your mother-in-law. She sounds great. I’d like to think I might be something like her if and when I get to ninety, which I hope to do – just so that I can go on ranting about the patronisers for a good few years to come. Who knows? By then they may have changed their tune when 90 is considered the new 60, i.e. there’s plenty of life in the old dogs yet.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forum.php

This is a very useful site for anyone in any way related to dementia topics. There are some really beautiful poems.
    There are also many people supporting one another.
    I came across it when, after moving to Norfolk I started Care Giving to Dementia Sufferers.

Hermaj

Simply got to go and do some work but will post something about the smilies later on. Smiley

Here is a poem for you Kvetina

http://pinoyelvensmith.blogspot.co.uk/2007/01/poetry-words-for-it-by-julia-cameron.html

Viewing 44 posts - 51 through 94 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply.