On FD can now eat 800 calories a day?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 7 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/12/good-news-dieters-52-relaxes-rules-allows-800-calories-day/

Now the diet’s creator, Dr Michael Mosley, has loosened the rules. But he insists his new version of the “Fast Diet” – which increases the limit to 800 calories on fasting days, is just as effective.

“You don’t need to stick to 600 calories. Cutting down to 800 calories a day seems to be almost as effective and for some people much more ‘doable’.”

“It’s low calorie, without being superlow-calorie. And if you want to have lunch, you can slip those extra 200 calories in there.”

Interesting. I would consider doing 4:3 if I could have 800 calories per day as some weeks Monday, Wednesday and Friday would work really well. I suppose it’s still a larger calorie deficit for the week than 5:2 with 500 calories.

Just seen this, did the 5:2 a while back but found 500 cals too hard…I’m guessing the 800 is for men so 700 for women? Would love to have this confirmed….may try again!

@fastdieter2 – this is HUGE! Thanks for catching it and sharing the article. I am surprised there isn’t an article about this on the homepage of this website.

@michael – could you provide us with any insight?

Personally, it really confuses me. People in the forums seem to be religious about not going over 500 calories on FDs and seem to try to eat in the high 400s on FDs – so the fact that women can now eat up to 700 is massive! I also thought that the weeks I eat over 500 calories (e.g. 580 cal) on my FDs, I either don’t lose weight / lose very little weight. Was this all in my head? A placebo of sorts?!

The article mentions the extra 200 cals for the crankiness factor – so is the additional 200 only for people who are very irritable on their FDs? Personally (female, 5’3″) on my FDs I skip breakfast and eat lunch and dinner (I know Michael skips lunch and eats breakfast and dinner) and had crankiness for the first few months which has now disappeared.

Having read the article it is all about helping people who find it too tough to cope on 500/600 calories to continue to lose weight rather than deciding to give up because it is too hard to stick to.

500/600 calories are based on 25% of the average TDEE for women/men which is 2000/2400 There are a lot of fasters on this website (including me) whose TDEE is lower than that so eating less than 500 is necessary to keep the weight coming off at a reasonable rate.

All weight loss is based on creating a calorie deficit so the less we eat the more and/or faster we lose it.

Any update on this?

I for one am definitely going to do the 800 calories per fasting day. I am new to this forum, and really want to make this work. I did 5:2 a few years ago at 500 cals per fasting day. I did lose 7 lbs that month, but it was not sustainable for the long term. 500 cals on fasting days is awfully low. I couldn’t carry on. Now I have eaten 800 calories in a day, and I can’t believe the difference a mere 300 calories can make. I believe I can do this.

Jacqueline Whitehart just wrote a revised 5:2 book with updated guidelines, and I just ordered it off amazon. I wish Dr. Mosley would update his Fast Diet book!

I think it is a slippery slope. If you eat more on “fast days” then you need to eat less on non-fasting days. If you eat more on all days you’ll probably lose less weight.

The problem I see with eating on fasting days is that it isn’t really fasting. By reducing the calories people actually probably end up with longer periods of fasting, but it still wouldn’t be as good as just really fasting. Then other benefits really help with fat consumption and it isn’t just calorie reduction.

All that being said, most diets would consider 800 calories a day very low. In that context I can believe there wouldn’t be much difference caused by just adding 200 calories. People that do eat on the fast days probably not overeat as much on the first non-fast day.

It’s 800 calories for men and women….before you jump…no sugar…low carbs….no treats…7 days…OK more food on NFDs ….but it’s very much like the sugar diet……nothing naughty ever!!…

For us as it’s a way of life, a beer, a wine or a piece of cake occasionally 5.2 is more sustainable …

Thats the blood sugar diet- completely different. This topic is about the fact that Michael Mosley has said that an extra 200 cals on fast days doesnt make a lot of of difference to weight loss on the normal 5:2 diet. I wish he would come on here and let everyone know the details though!

Dr. M. states that 800 calories ‘seems to be almost as effective’, which means to me that he isn’t sure, so I’m awaiting to read results from those who try it and report their long term results. I look forward to reading those reports.

Until then, I’ll happily continue with my 5:2 maintenance which means consuming 1/4 of my TDEE on FDs.

Let’s not forget that the fast diet is relatively new. Michael put a lot of research into developing it but it’s not perfect, there is still research going on not to mention the fact that as more people try it, new things are discovered and it can get tweaked a bit.
    I actually think that it is more interesting that he is now saying that you can have lunch, when the diet was originally created he was pretty adamant that best results could be gotten from having that 12 hour window between breakfast and dinner. But as time has gone on it seems many people have as much success by spreading their calories out during the day, or having lunch + dinner. So it would seem that a lot of the benefits come more from the calorie restriction side of things, rather than the actual “fasting” thing.
    Personally I try to get the best of both worlds a bit, and have a very delayed small breakfast on my fasting days, so that I have a 15-16 hour window of fasting (since dinner previous night) and then have 3 small meals. I’ve been losing about 1kg (2lb) a week so far with this method. I am willing to try adding another 200 cals and seeing what happens. I do get really quite hungry at night before bed in particular so I would love to even add another 100 cal to my evening meal to combat this so the diet is more sustainable in the longer term.

Hi Bree:

You probably know that the TV show that started the 5:2 weight loss diet was not about weight loss. It was about how important and beneficial calorie restriction was in improving longevity and preventing some diseases.

Of course, when you restrict your calorie intake, you tend to lose weight. And as there is a bigger market for a weight loss diet than a longevity diet, the weight loss part took off, with some feeling there would also be some ‘other health benefits’ if they followed 5:2. There are no clinical studies I am aware of that indicate fasting for a few extra hours a day over a person’s normal 10-12 hour fast provides any material health benefits. There are studies that show great benefit to longer term fasting (measured in several days worth) – which is really, truly calorie restriction! But well before Dr. M popularized the 5:2 diet, there was a clinical study on 5:2 that confirmed it was a safe and effective weight loss diet. There is also a clinical study that showed that it matters not when or how many times you eat during the day as long as you don’t eat too many calories. So it really is the calorie restriction that matters!

Here is some information on 5:2, including a link to some comments about fasting v. calorie restriction: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.