October 2020 Monthly Challenge — RESET OCTOBER

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
October 2020 Monthly Challenge — RESET OCTOBER

This topic contains 503 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  NorthGeorgia 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 509 total)

• Greetings to all newcomers, regulars, and those we haven’t seen in a while. Welcome to a new monthly challenge: Reset October!

In May 2016, @coda started the very first of the monthly challenges, and they continue to be an invaluable and unique source on the Internet for amazing support, advice and friendship, providing many of us the motivation to start and continue on our 5:2 journey. These challenges are the ULTIMATE aid to success!!!

There are no hard and fast rules to follow, but we’ll stick with what has always worked:
    • DO start your post with the day of the month; your location (as general as you like, no stalkers please), as it’s nice to see just how international we are; and the type of day you intend to have (FD,NFD, WFD, CD, etc.–see list below) For example, if you join in from Manchester, UK on September 14 with your first day of fasting your first line might read, “Day 14 — Manchester, UK — FD” If you want to make a new post in the same day, feel free to do so, just put “second post” or “third post,” etc., as your first line.
    • Do briefly introduce (or re-introduce) yourself in the very first post, what are you hoping to achieve from this Way of Life (WOL), and your journey so far (including ups, downs & the dreaded plateaus)! Also if you want to share, include your starting weight and any other measurements (waist, hip, neck, etc.) you aim to keep track of throughout the month. You can record this on the spreadsheet if you would like. You can include these in the posts if you’d like. Or you can choose to do neither.
    • You can add as much or as little to your posts as you want or as time dictates, as we all have lives to live!!! Questions, queries, thoughts, musings, moans, secrets (non-criminal only!!), and of course successes. In fact, anything you feel like you want to share with the rest of us strangers, anonymity has its rewards!! Had a good day? – Let us know. Had a bad day? – Let us know. Hanging on for dear life by your last remaining fingernail? – Definitely let us know; there’s always someone here ready to drag you back onto the wagon!!!
    • Log on as many times as you want to, as there’s always someone online. That is the beauty of this international forum — we cater for ALL time zones! There will be someone to answer any queries, or offer support & advice if you need it!!!

Originally there were small groups doing their own mini-challenges (B2B2Bs, LFDs etc) – called ‘pocket fasters’ or ‘pocketeers.’ They would set a target and support each other through it, either by writing down the list of participants and keeping it in their pockets or just by visualising fellow pocketeers which would give them much needed support if things got tough!

Recently, there have just been FD pocket lists along with some other mini challenges/groups such as DTF (Dry ‘til Friday), ZBC (Zero Breakfast Club), and 30-minute exercise daily lists. In the past there were also pocket lists such as Egg fasters, Hula-hoopers, Plank challengers, and Club Tor-twah for those finding themselves in a super slow weight loss period! Anyone can start or join one of these groups or even start a Pocket List – it’s entirely up to you.
    You may have some questions that have already been answered, so try this wonderful thread from @simcoeluv below:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/
    I would like to personally thank @at for providing us with this month’s spreadsheet, which will be posted in a separate entry later.
    Best wishes to all of you in RESET OCTOBER!
    ABBREVIATION LIST
    Here’s the list of common abbreviations used throughout this challenge and added to on an ongoing basis:
    16:8 – 16 hours fast 8 hours non fast
    5:2 – 5 days NFD:2 days IF
    ADF – Alternate Day Fasting (FD – NFD – FD – etc. etc. etc.…….)
    B2B – Back to Back (consecutive FDs)
    BMR – Basal metabolic Rate
    CFD – Controlled Fast Day (a FD below your goal weight TDEE, whatever that is!!!)
    DH,DD, DS – Darling Husband Daughter, Son
    DTF – Dry ‘Til Fri (for those limiting the booze to weekend only ………….. & aiming for sainthood!!!!)
    EE – Emotional Eating (reflex grazing out of a need for instant comfort instead of satisfying hunger)
    EFS – Epic Face Stuffing (we’ve all had one of those days……………. Definitely due to a faulty OFF button!)
    FD – Fast Day (500 cals)
    HUNGER DRAGON – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied. Some people even name theirs (e.g. @i-hate-lettuce has an inner warthog!)
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    Keto – way of eating that generates Ketones
    K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple Stupid!!!………………or Sexy!!!
    LC – Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF – Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    LFD – Liquid Fast Day (incl. tea, coffee, miso, bone broth & water)
    LOL – Laughing Out Loud
    M/WOAM – Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)
    MFD – Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    NFD – Non Fast Day
    OH – Other Half (eg spouse/partner)
    OMAD – One Meal A Day
    PFDS – Post FD Smugness (courtesy of @penz)
    TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
    TRE – Time Restricted Eating
    WFD – Water Fast Day (Water only)
    WFH – Working From Home ……………….. Covid-19 enforced!!!
    WOL – Way of Life
    WOCA – Women Of a Certain Age
    ZBC – Zero Breakfast Club

As you set your goals for October, be careful to set SMART goals:
    S pecific
    M easureable
    A chievable
    R ealistic
    T imely

A few examples of what is not a smart goal: “I want to lose weight.” Sure you do; we all do. However, that’s not specific since how much weight you want to lose isn’t listed. “I want to lose enough weight to feel better.” Reasonable sentiment, but how is that measured? Achievable and Realistic tend to walk hand-in-hand: “I want to lose a pound every third day.” Well, that’s certainly specific, and it’s measurable; it’s also achievable by eating few enough calories and exercising enough to burn the necessary amounts, but it’s certainly not realistic; who is really going to live on only that few calories for more than a few days at most? So one could say it’s actually not even achievable. So how about, “I want to lose 10 pounds by November.” That covers Specific, Measureable, Achievable, and Timely…but, for me, it’s certainly not realistic. Is it for you? Finally, you need to be timely: by such-and-such-a-day I want to lose this-precise-amount-of-weight. Okay, that covers all the letters of SMART, so it appears to be a good goal, right? But…how in the world are you going to accomplish that??

And that takes me to my second suggestion of what sort of goals make sense for October: your ACTIONS are entirely in your control; your RESULTS don’t always seem to be. So let’s consider some action goals that are SMART:

“I want to exercise at least 150 minutes each week.” We all know that exercise doesn’t really accomplish much in the way of weight loss. We also all know that exercise is part of being healthy, that it does, over time, increase our metabolism, and that it does burn extra calories. So setting a goal to exercise is excellent, and 150 minutes each week is a number often used to define what a reasonable amount of exercise is in our sedentary world. The goal is also specific (150 min/week), measurable (minutes, week), achievable (not too much per day), realistic (while 30 minutes at a time might seem impossible, surely 10 minutes three times in the day is doable?), and timely (decide on when your week starts/ends, and you’ve got the timely part down).

“I will post at least five days out of every week.” Is this a goal that is helpful to you? Many have said that when things go poorly, they quit posting–and then things go even worse than they were going before. If that’s you, then the goal of posting daily may be a goal that’s crucial to the success of October for you.

Let’s talk eating goals. My own eating goal is that I will follow Fast5 (fast all but five hours of each day, in my case, 4pm to 9pm) Monday through Saturday, with a FD on M and Th, and on Sunday I’ll eat over a wider spread of hours so we can have our traditional family brunch after church. I also have a goal of eating at least 1,000 calories fewer than I burn each day (which is where those exercise calories come in handy!) Notice that in these goals is the big key to losing weight—I’m fasting—but the goal is still focused on my ACTIONS not on the RESULTS. So what sort of eating goal makes sense for you? Are you a DTF (Dry ‘Til Friday) person? A ZBC (Zero Breakfast Club) member? However you approach it, focus on what you allow and reject, be SMART about it, and that’s how to set an effective action plan.

There you go: a description of SMART action goals, rather than what can feel like impossible RESULTS goals. By all means, list out the results you’re hoping for, but first list out the actions you’ll hold yourself accountable to achieve; that way, no matter what the scale does or doesn’t do, you’ll be able to celebrate your behavior.

And if you “fall off the wagon,” so to speak? That’s okay; we’re all human and we’re none of us perfect. Stand up, dust yourself off, and climb back on. And let us know you need help so we can encourage you!

So how’s Reset October looking for you?

Pre-Reset October Post 1

Count me in for Reset October! I’m looking forward to entering the 230s Overlook this month and taking in the view!

I’m in. 🙂

Hi @stitchincarol I’m in for Reset October too, thank you for hosting and the encouraging and smart opening post. I plan to stay in maintenance another month but will have to tweak a few things to make it easier.

@stitchincarol – I’m definitely in for the Reset October Challenge and will set up a spreadsheet for the challenge with pleasure.

Thank you for hosting 💐 🤗 and what a brilliant idea to use the SMART acronym to guide our goal setting for the month!

Hi. Please count me in for Reset October. My aim is to get back on the Dry till Fri wagon when I get back from Greece mid October. Thanks for hosting.

I’m in for reset October Button at the ready

Hi everyone see the link to the spreadsheet below – hopefully you can all access and edit as required – names in black denote those already signed up for the RESET OCTOBER 2020 CHALLENGE!
    Let me know if there are any issues

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xp-gfpaWYHVczluIjswEyA5448A26gxyCdyxIZfKvaI/edit?usp=sharing

2nd post

@at thanks for making the spreadsheet again, it works!

I am so ready for RESET OCTOBER 2020 CHALLENGE

@stitchincarol thanking for hosting @at thank you for making the spreadsheet

Do what is right, not what is easy.

@stitchincarol thank you for hosting October which I hope will prove to be a better month for me after struggling through September. I am feeling optimistic that your suggestion to focus on actions rather than results will be just what I need. I’m in!

Thanks, @at, for setting up the spreadsheet!

Hello, I’d like to join Reset October – intro coming on Day 1. Thank you for hosting and for the amazing welcome post @stitchincarol and for the spreadsheet @at .

Hi, @stitchincarol, I’m in – will enter my start weight on the 1st.

Great to see many familiar monikers joining in yet again.

I am new here. Please count me in.

Welcome, @israel, @markie99, and @sheryj2021! Whether new or returning, we’re so glad to have you with us, and look forward to becoming acquainted.

Hi all, still away for October so will lurk in the background and rejoin in earnest in November.

Thank you @stitchincarol , see you all Thursday x

Thank you very much for the welcome.

Hope that I’m not too late to join in. I did 5:2 a couple of years ago but fell off the wagon big time and thought I’ll give it another go.

Definitely in need of a reset!!

Day -1 Melb Aust CD

Starting October with determination to bring my eating back under control! Glad to be with you all again.

@toady, it’s not at ALL too late to join in, and welcome! We’ll be posting in earnest starting on October 1; everyone is still doing the bulk of their posting in the Salubrious September challenge. 🙂

@betsylee, how is it possible for you to already be in October when it’s only 7am in the Midwest of the USA?? Or are you just planning ahead for tomorrow?

Sooo looking forward to tomorrow and our “official” start!

October 1 is a new beginning. Southern California, USA

I am returning to fasting after having been away a few years. I had success with The Fast Diet, but I fell off the wagon, because honestly, a 500 calorie day was too little for me. It was not sustainable.

This time around it’s Fast 800. I’ve already done a little experimenting, and I can’t believe the difference an extra 300 calories makes. I don’t care how slow the weight loss is. Slow and steady wins the race. I also need to keep the carbs down, so that will help too.

I am actually starting my first fast day today and will do a BTB tomorrow.

Thank you for starting this thread,

USA

I am all in! See you all tomorrow!

Day -1 second post

@stitchincarol, not in October yet – day -1 is the last day of September 🙂

Oh, @betsylee, completely missed the “-” on your 1! 🤣

I am all in for Reset October!

Thanks for hosting @stitchincarol 🎈🎈🎈🎈

Great intro, @stitchincarol……” SMART” ….that is very good! I can tell you are an experienced organizer and a seasoned motivator!
    Please add me to the October challenge. Thank you so much for stepping up as host. You will be awesome!

Welcome to everyone joining in this month, whether newbies or veterans of this WOL. It’s the best thing going for weight loss, and especially for support.

Day 1 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD

I’m jumping the gun, as anyone in the States will immediately realize, but Thursdays are so busy that I’ll either be able to post tomorrow morning, or walk with Leslie; this way I can walk without skipping the post (and without getting up at the crack of dawn!).

I’m a 61YO female, I’m 5’4″ and I weigh 150. Using 5:2, I lost almost 30 lbs in 2015 and then put it all back on by eating way too much on NFDs. In 2019, I gave up even pretending I was doing 5:2; since my weight wasn’t changing, it was very clear I hadn’t actually been doing 5:2. When 2020 showed up on my calendar, I started thinking I perhaps finally had the determination needed to again lose weight, so resumed 5:2 on February 26. I weighed 165.4 at that time, so in these six months, I’ve lost 15 pounds.

In late July I heard about Fast5, where you choose which five hours of the day you’re allowed to eat. I started in on that a week before we left for two week’s vacation where we ate VERY well. I stuck to Fast5 the entire time, however, with only two days “off” and came home 3 lbs heavier. That seemed a small price for how well/much we ate/drank. Since then I’ve continued Fast5, do FDs twice a week, and have also committed to DTF. That’s giving me real results, so I’m seeing Fast5 combined with FDs being a good fit for me.

My overall goal is to get to at least 137, at which point I’ll consider 132, at which point I’ll consider 125.

My September goals weren’t bad, but didn’t entirely get me to my desired result of 4-5 lbs lost, so they’re tweaked a bit for October:

My ACTION goals for October:
    1. Exercise for 30 minutes on five days of every week.
    2. While 10K days are always wonderful, they aren’t always realistic, so I’ll get at least 36K steps per week, with a minimum of 6K on 5 days.
    3. Stick to Fast5, having a FD two days a week; the only exception is Sunday when I’ll begin eating at Brunch after church.
    4. DTF every week
    5. Count calories on at least three NFDs every week (because I’m clearly eating more than I realize since my weight loss is slower than I would expect).

My desired results for October:
    1. Burn at least 1900 calories daily
    2. Lose 5 pounds so that I weigh 145.

Okay, what are your SMART ACTION goals that you’ll take to get the RESULTS you want? I should say that I started to set a goal of “counting calories regularly.” I laughed at myself when I realized it was neither specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, or timely. So, counting calories on 3 NFDs is all of those things, and although it’s something I despise doing, isn’t as awful–and unachievable–as if I said count calories every day. This is where you have to know yourself, and be honest, when you set your SMART goals.

“At first glance it may look too hard. Look again. Always look again.” Mary Anne Radmacher

Day 1, NFD, Aus

Excellent start to the month by our fabulous host, @stitchincarol. And many many thanks to our September host, @northgeorgia. I love the tips you both post.

Hi everyone. I usually do liquid FDs Mondays and Thursdays but it’s a long weekend here and I am taking tomorrow off. We’re going out for dinner tonight so it looks like I won’t get my first FD under my belt until next week. I’m SMART enough to know there’s absolutely no point in trying to do a FD over a long weekend!

Actions for this month. ZBC. DTF. And if I do those things, the weight will come off!

TTFN.

Day 1 – Country NSW, Australia – 20:4

A bit of an intro to start with. I’m 37YO, female, about 162cm (5ft3) and currently around 104kg (230lb).

I did IF a couple of years ago but because of lifestyle changes I didn’t keep it up. Due to those changes and starting a medication that pushed my appetite up to max my weight has gone from 70kg (154lb) back in mid ’18 up to 104kg (230lb) at my last weigh in. A couple of months ago I joined a gym and have been doing a workout plan with them which involves a lot of weight training with some cardio (I know, I’ll put on weight with muscle), I’ve also started tracking calories but do still fail when it comes to the junk food, especially when stressed out (and that’s happening quite a bit lately)

My goal weight is 65-70kg (140-155lbs) and I would like to get down to this by December 2021.

Day 1 so far – I started of a 16:8 at 6:30pm last night and had planned to just go til 10:30am today, but as I type this it’s 2:30pm and I’m thinking I really should eat something. I also need to go shopping for suitable foods as I’m planning on doing some reduced calorie days as well as the 16:8 (20:4 or whatever it turns into). Surprisingly (given the medication) I’m not that hungry right now but know as soon as I take that first bite it’ll all flood back.

D1 NFD Lake District UK

Goodbye September and hello Reset October . I really need this.

@stitchincarol Thanks for hosting.

@at Thanks for doing the spreadsheet, I use it everyday.

I am a 63 year old female living with my DH in the north west of England, the Lake District.

I started my weight lost journey this time round early in 2019 calorie counting. I started TRE in May 2019 and in October 2019 did the Fast 800. I got to my goal weight of 60Kg in January 2020. Since then I have struggled to maintain

My aims for this month are:

See it out and continue to post every day. This is essential for me.

2. Do 5:2 and try to be mindful of what I am eating on NFD

3. Continue with TRE minimum of 16:8 (18:6 if I can) and joining the ZBC every day

4. Carry on exercising.

5. To stop obsessing about the bathroom scales. I don’t need them. They just make me depressed. I know this WOL works, so I am going to put them away for a while and concentrate on other things like a healthy life style and just sticking to my plan.

6 Try not to punish myself for that little blip. Just accept that these happen. In the scale of things it is not be an issue, just write it off and continue my journey without the need to restart it.

I know this is a long list . I need to change my mindset. This will not be easy for me to do but with your support I hope to achieve it.
    Pocket lists

ZBC
    @kazoo

Exercise
    @kazoo

Day 1 – Lake district UK – CFD

Good morning everyone

@stitchincarol – Thanks for steering the monthly WOL tour bus, with all our ups and downs 😉 I’ll keep calling in as usual.

Another fresh start, the monthly challenges never feel too onerous, it’s just a relatively short time, but stitch them all together, brilliant.

I’m a 65 year old guy who through the last 15 monthly challenges has managed to lose 41 lb, 18 kg! still a way to go, but have settled into this WOL. Currently = 224 lb or 101.6 kg.

September was another weird month, have a ‘bit of a health issue’ 😉 which has involved more tests/expensive machinery/surgery etc, but this WOL and this motivational group have been a big help! I’m not good with groups usually, but call in on the monthly challenge each morning and find it really helpful, although at the moment not so much looking to lose weight.

Early in and out this morning, starting October as I know it will go on, day trip for more tests. Catch up again soon.

Take care all

Day 1, Emden Germany, FD

Hi everyone!

I’m a Dutchwoman living in the North of Germany, married, owner of an adorable cat, 64YO, 163 cm/5’4″ tall. My weight was 56 kg/123.5lbs all my adult life until starting a new job in 2011 where my weight crept up to 72.9 kg. I read the book and joined the challenges on and off from March 2017 on. I lost 20 kg very quickly but gained much of it back. Since last month I’m in maintenance again, my goal weight is 60 kg/132.3lbs, my weight today is 59.3 kg/130.7lbs (BMI 22.3). My DH starts at 75.9kg/167.3lbs and he plans to go to 75 kg/165.4lbs (BMI 22.4).

My actions for this month are: signing in every day, 5:2, ZBC, 18:6, dance class 3 times a week.

@markie99, @sheryj2021 and @toady welcome!

@at I hope everything stayed dry.

Pocket list day 1
    @snowflake56

ZBC day 1
    @kazoo
    @snowflake56

Exercise day 1
    @kazoo

Have a nice day everyone!

2nd post

I changed my mind from doing a NFD to a FD today and saw on the spreadsheet a few others are with me today so I hope you don’t mind I put you on the PL as well. I don’t have a plan what to eat yet so it’s good to know I’m not alone on the list. @toady, as you didn’t have breakfast this morning you’re qualified to join us on the ZBC.

@at You’re also a member of the ZBC, aren’t you?

Pocket list day 1
    @stitchincarol
    @at FD800
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56

ZBC day 1
    @kazoo
    @penz
    @toady
    @at
    @snowflake56

Exercise day 1
    @kazoo

Day 1 – USA/GA – FD

Happy October! Had a pretty hefty late dinner last night complete with homemade banana pudding my mom had made, so I’m sure it’s all still swirling around inside. Oh well, inflating my starting weight on the high end of 243 lbs. this morning. So glad I’m going into a FD today before the weekend hits!

Let’s see, a quick intro… I’m a 47 y/o man in the far suburbs of Atlanta who has been hopelessly watching his weight rise for years on end, particularly in January into the realm of what’s termed “morbid obesity.” In early to mid-May of this year, I discovered 5:2 on a YouTube video and realized this was a WOL that I felt sure I could stick with, but wasn’t really sure about results. I’m proud to say that I have lost between 35 to 40 lbs. so far this year and am continuing my long-haul journey to get down to a healthy weight. I so appreciate the daily support we all offer each other on this forum. I think it gives me that constant encouragement to keep going, knowing there are so many others in the world also in this WOL.

My SMART goals will remain the same, but I’ll be more mindful:
    1. To weigh in daily, but not to fret should I gain a couple of pounds or so within a day — it’s not possible to store fat that fast. Keep the course!
    2. The kitchen closes at 8 p.m.
    3. Try strategies if the plateau doesn’t want to break through: ZBC, 4:3 instead of 5:2 for a week, adding a day or two of intensive exercise through major chores, gardening, or some moderate exercise such as walking.
    4. To lose a minimum of two or three pounds this month. Any direction that isn’t up over the length of a couple of months is a good direction.

As I’m still lingering in The 240s Club, let’s rejoin Wesley and Lola…

“Excuse me, miss. I’m looking for some women’s shoes in there. Would you mind?” I mindlessly ask the first woman to pass by me. The 30-something year old recoils in disgust. “Get out of here!” she says. I obviously have to change strategy. Another lady walks by. “Excuse me. My friend has lost her shoes, would you mind checking in the cubicles to see if she may have accidentally…” She swiftly turns and walks quickly in the other direction. “Sir, may I ask WHAT you think you’re doing?” I turn to see the bartender scowl at me. “I, uhh..” “Stop harassing our clients, or I’ll have security escort you out of here.” I nervously respond, “I’m so sorry! Actually, we’re trying to leave. You see, we’re just looking for my friend’s shoes. She seems to have misplaced them sometime this evening, and…” The bartender stops me mid-sentence. “Are you serious?”

Good luck to all of us on the pocket lists today!

Pocket list day 1
    @stitchincarol
    @at FD800
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56

ZBC day 1
    @kazoo
    @penz
    @toady
    @at
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia

Exercise day 1
    @kazoo

Day 1 North Canton OH LFD

A bit of an introduction: 45 year old female who stumbled on IF 6 years ago, lost 20 pounds very quickly (4 months), maintained for a while and then gained 10 back over the next 5 years, 5 of those pounds were gained this year –nuff said!

I am starting the month at 164 pounds, a five pound loss this month is the goal. My goal is to do so in a slow and steady manner- I committed to a 48 hour Liquid fast with a group that I am part of- and I am keeping my commitment; the rest of the month will be mindful, regular and consistent. Exercise 5 days a week, ZBC on weekdays and Sunday, TRE daily, DTF, OMAD (most days except for Saturday). Calorie counting does not work for me, but I intend to be mindful with consumption of refined carbs and alcohol because they exacerbate my hot flashes.

Good luck to all of us on the pocket lists today!

Pocket list day 1
    @stitchincarol
    @at FD800
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56
    @basyjames

ZBC day 1
    @kazoo
    @penz
    @toady
    @at
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @basyjames

Exercise day 1
    @kazoo
    @basyjames

Day 1 Wisconsin, USA 16:8 CFD
    Hello Everyone,
    I’m excited to be part of Reset October and grateful to everyone who makes this group possible.

I’m a wife and mother and a Nana to my grandchildren. A few years ago I retired from work as a registered nurse, arrived at our local YMCA and became certified to teach yoga, yoga for seniors, basic tai chi and water aerobics. I also did indoor bike workouts almost daily for myself.

Work at the Y came to an abrupt halt because of the pandemic, although I’ve taught an outdoor yoga class in a nearby park throughout this time. Our weather is getting cold and rainy and the outdoor class will end soon.

My current exercise consists of walking, outdoor biking, and participating in online classes, mostly yoga and pilates.

I was on this forum and participated in a few challenges several years ago. I got very close to my goal weight and maintained until recently. While maintaining I often came back to the forum to read your posts for inspiration.

16:8 or 18:6 has worked well for me, and the more I prolong my overnight fast the better. What I eat affects my success greatly – eating sugar and processed foods results in cravings that I find hard to resist. I seldom eat breakfast, so I’ll be a permanent member of the ZBC.

Three Things I Know:
    Intermittent Fasting offers health benefits.
    Avoiding sugar and processed foods helps me control my appetite.
    Exercise is beneficial for my mood and body.

Goal:
    Lose 4 lbs (2kgs) in October.
    Ultimate Goal: Lose 15lbs (7kg) to accomplish my goal weight of 145lbs (66kg) by April 2021(fingers crossed we are able to go on a long-awaited vacation!).

Plan:
    Practice 16:8 most days, while avoiding sugar and processed foods
    Continue walking, biking and daily yoga practice
    Read and post daily on this forum

Thanks to @stichincarol for hosting and for the very helpful welcome post, to @at for sorting the spreadsheet and to my fellow participants for making this a place where I want to be. Looking forward to a great month! Take care everyone.

Day 1 USA (Illinois) NFD

Can’t get rid of me, yet. I’m happy to be back for another challenge. I am Gwynne, 72 YO female, retired school music teacher living 2 hours west of Chicago in rolling hill, farming country of Illinois. I began 5:2 March 2016 and then with @coda in May. This forum has been amazing for loss as well as maintenance. I began close to 200# (90kg) and lost 38# over about 9 months. I am doing my best to stay about 160# (72.tkg) but it still takes perseverance. I generally do 6:1 with my 1 being under 500 calories.

@markie99 – glad to have another Midwestern retiree! Our youngest daughter teaches yoga in Texas, and I join our local group occasionally. More often, I do Silver Sneakers Circuit 3x a week.

I look forward to getting to know the newbies and continuing to connect with our stalwarts. Thanks @stitchincarol for leading us in October!

Onward and downward.

Day 1 Melb Aust NFD

Tomorrow will be my first FD for October, and hopefully the first successful one of many.

I’m a single lady, retired August 2018 but still working on a doctorate degree. Household is ruled by a ginger cat named Wilbur. Will turn 71 this month, 154 cm tall (just over 5 foot) and currently weigh 71.6 kg. I’m walking 40-50 minutes every day and doing some gentle weight work 3 days a week. Generally go over 10,000 steps daily.
    I need to lose weight mainly for health reasons, and it’s been an up and down journey in the past 2 years. I started this WOL in November 2018, lost 14 kg, regained 11, lost a further 15 kg (so 18 kg overall) and have regained about 3kg in the past 2 months.
    RESET October is definitely what this month is all about, as I have no desire to yo-yo back to whence I came 🙂
    So, action plan: Continue with the walking and weight work.
    Add some rowing and cross-trainer exercise 3 times a week as well, for more aerobic fitness.
    FD twice a week, plus a CD once a week, then TDEE (at goal weight, which means around 1550 cals) 3 times a week, and one day where I relax the rules – usually Sundays.
    Weigh daily, but only do a full “weigh and measure” on Saturdays.
    Ensure I increase my daily protein intake, to reduce the “carbs craving”.
    Log in regularly for accountability and/or encouragement – of myself and others.

Re weight goals – I always aim for 4 kg loss per month, as I know that’s achievable if I am really strict, but I’m rarely really strict so I’m happy if I lose half that. In reality, anything over 2 kg loss is a victory.

Onward and downwards everyone. Definitely a reset month!

Day 1 – UK – FD800

First a big thank you to @stitchincarol for leading us into this Reset October Challenge 💐

My aim for this Reset October Challenge is to
    *stay in maintenance
    *continue with my regular exercise regime
    *stay alcohol free for 4/5 days per week
    *increase my awareness of calories consumed on NFDs

An early Broga Class at 7am with OH via zoom and forgot to weigh in so will do it tomorrow morning and log it on the spreadsheet!

Then I baked a batch of Khorasan flour fruit scones for OH before going out for a lovely wander of some 10km at an average pace of 9.52/km – got caught in a short light rain shower but otherwise a really enjoyable walk! and of course the sun and blue skies appeared as I returned home!!!

For those new to these challenges a little bit about myself:-
    I am a 62y.o. female living with my OH, we have a married daughter who has 4 fur babies – 3 cats and an adorable beagle called Archie.
    Height = 165cm/5ft 4in
    I started this WOL on my own in January 2016 as I was fed up with being overweight and wanted to get fitter!
    I decided to join the challenges in November 2016 as I had plateaued for around 3 months and managed to reach maintenance in early December 2016 with the help of these challenges and have remained in maintenance range of 54-56kg/119-123.5lbs and a BMI of just over 20 since then!
    Total weight loss = 22kg/3st 7lbs
    I retired in December 2013 and moved to the Lake District – best decision we ever made – OH and I love our new life here!
    In my retirement discovered a love for exercise, currently doing yoga 🙏 which I discovered over 5 years ago and it has just been the best thing for me, both physically and mentally. I also do Broga, pilates, aerobics and hiking on the fells in my beloved Lake District ⛰ and in my spare time do some volunteering in my local community
    My personal motto since reaching maintenance has been “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. and when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

@i-hate-lettuce – hope your day of tests was not too stressful and you are back home relaxing
    @snowflake56 – surprisingly we did not get the heavy rain that was predicted but enough of it and there were no leaks!!! And YES I’m a permanent on the ZBC pocket list and usually on the Exercise one as well and thank you for adding me to the pocket lists 🤗

Lovely to see some new names joining our challenge so a big welcome to @israel @sheryj2021 @toady
    and welcome back to @markie99 and of course where would we be without our regulars to these challenges!

Pocket list day 1
    @stitchincarol
    @at FD800
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56
    @basyjames

ZBC day 1
    @kazoo
    @penz
    @toady
    @at
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @basyjames

Exercise day 1
    @kazoo
    @basyjames
    @at

Remember that even if you can’t physically see the results in front of you, every single effort is changing your body from the inside – Never get discouraged!

Day1 UK FD

Bit late checking in , I’ve been on tenterhooks all day waiting to see if our planned trip to Rome can go ahead on Monday – it can Hurrah !!

So fast today , weekend , week in Rome , I’ll be mindful and then Fast on Monday 12 th and aim to get a few good weeks in

Quick bit of background – I was one of Codas originals got to my goal weight Jan 17 stayed steady for 2 years then series of mishaps and back to square 1 , its taken me a year but I’m now round about where I want to be , maybe another few pounds but if poss want to whittle down my waist .So it’ll be a lot of ab work for me , Good luck to all xx

And thanks to @stitchincarol for guiding us

Pocket list day 1
    @stitchincarol
    @at FD800
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56
    @basyjames
    @brightonbelle

ZBC day 1
    @kazoo
    @penz
    @toady
    @at
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @basyjames
    @brightonbelle

Exercise day 1
    @kazoo
    @basyjames
    @at
    @brightonbelle

Day 1 Second Post

Forgot about the ZBC and Exercise Lists – I’m a permanent on both of those.

Pocket list day 1
    @stitchincarol
    @at FD800
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56
    @basyjames
    @brightonbelle

ZBC day 1
    @kazoo
    @penz
    @toady
    @at
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @basyjames
    @brightonbelle
    @betsylee

Exercise day 1
    @kazoo
    @basyjames
    @at
    @brightonbelle
    @betsylee

Day 1 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 FD

Heck do I need a Reset! Stepped on the scales this morning to see that I gained 5 pounds during Struggling September. So I am welcoming the different actions driven approach of October and my actions for the month will be:
    5:2 do FD800 on Mondays and Thursdays
    Minimum 150 minutes exercise each week
    DTF

Late to check today as we have enjoyed a long walk on the beach, fewer tourists around now the school holidays are over so we were able to keep a safe distance from other people……I have so missed beach walks this year.

Welcome to anyone new to monthly challenges. Bit about me: 61 year old, retired, live with DH and cat in Pembrokeshire. Weighed 10.25 pounds at birth and have had a lifetime weight problem. Done every diet invented, would lose some weight get fed up of the diet plan then regain what I lost plus more. Started 5:2 in June 2017 and slowly lost 30 pounds over a year and happily maintained until this year which has been a year of personal grief and worries in addition to the awful pandemic we are all experiencing……and I have been drinking too much wine and eating too many treats for comfort. So I have reached a crossroads and I either carry on the road I followed in September or I change route and head back on the 5:2 low carb, no processed foods, moderate wine drinking path to success. Checking in today so guess which way I’m heading 😉

Day 1 Murrells Inlet South Carolina FD

Wow so far so good, 21 hours into my first fast day in a very long time. Feeling a little dizzy but I am drinking lots and lots of water. Going to have a light dinner and hopefully not over indulge tomorrow.

Push yourself because no one else is going to do it for you. Have a great day.

Day 1 Minnesota, USA. NFD

Late getting on today. So sorry. About myself:

I am a 63 y/o woman married to a wonderful DH, mother of two great children and grandmother of 4 beautiful grandchildren ages 17 down to 4 y/o. I am a retired registered nurse who started 5/2 in March of 2016 and was one of the original participants in Coda’s first challenge in May of 2016. I went on to lose about 30 lbs within 6 months and maintained that for a while; but I have gained back, lost, and gained back the same amount (and this time a bit more) over the years since. I do well when I am on these forums, and not well when I don’t read and post here for support and accountability.

Currently 163 lbs, or 74kg, 169.5 cm (about 5ft 6 3/4 in tall….I may have lost 1/4 inch lately) BMI at 25.5, and have lost 12-13 lbs since late July. My first short term goal is to lose another 8 lbs (to 155) by Christmas.

I am a permanent member of the ZBC, the exercise list (150 minutes/week minimum), DTF, and will fast 2 days a week at around 500 calories or less, and another FD of 800 once each week. I will use the TDEE of my goal weight at 1460 calories on NFDs, on average.

Thanks again to @stitchincarol for hosting and @at for the spreadsheet, which I may actually start using this month. Welcome to all the new posters and welcome back to everyone who is here continuing on with their journey.

D1 NFD UK Lake District

2nd Post

What a difference a day makes.

My mojo is back and I am feeling very content this evening after a successful NFD. Kitchen closed at 6.08pm

Quite a good day in all. I completed an 18 hour 42 minute fast and we managed a 48minutes swim in Windermere this morning. The water temperature is definitely getting colder. I did manage to buy a rash vest this afternoon to wear under my wetsuit.

I have been reading everyone’s post today and hope that we all have a successful month and fulfil our aims and goals. Welcome to those new to here or returning I am looking forward to getting to know you all. Just remember to keep posting whatever.

My plans tomorrow. I am hoping to do a FD800 tomorrow so will be joining the pocket list, ZBC and the exercise list. Thinking of going for a run.

Enjoy your evening and remember tomorrow is a new day.

Press that reset button,October is here.

Day 1, second post

I was so astonished this morning to find myself a full pound lower than yesterday morning–woo-hoo for the surprises in life! And since today is a FD, I’m not likely to be back up tomorrow morning, either. So, given that I have some eating challenges facing me in October (a quick trip to Colorado for DGD’s 1st birthday, a birthday dinner for eldest son, and Halloween, where it’s not the candy, but the cut-out and frosted cookies I make and adore every year), it’s good to be getting a jump start on weight at the beginning so I have a chance of ending where I want to be.

So with that in mind, here’s your Thursday Thought: what food is coming up in your life that is so important to life that you are not willing to skip it? In other words, in a week, will you be sorry you didn’t have that bowl of popcorn while watching TV? But, in a week, will you still think it was entirely fine and appropriate that you enjoyed some special family dinner?

As I think about my own events, I’m also thinking about the upcoming holiday season. I’m considering strategies so that I don’t overeat at Thanksgiving (4th Thursday of November for the USA), I’m thinking about a particular cookie that I make every year at Christmas, and don’t plan to skip this year, I’m thinking about the kahlua and cream I used to have every night before bedtime all through December. What do I need to eat/drink, and what won’t I miss? My answers are not your answers, but think through the events coming up and if you decide you can skip, or minimize your consumption, start mentally preparing NOW for when those events arise. It’s when we’re taken by surprise that the mindful eating flies out the window, so planning ahead helps tremendously.

Any thoughts to share on what behavior you might change, and what is too important to skip?

“It’s going to be hard, but hard is not impossible.”

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 509 total)

You must be logged in to reply.