October 2019 Monthly Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
October 2019 Monthly Challenge

This topic contains 530 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by  BrightonBelle 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 539 total)

• Day 3, VA, USA, FD B2B2B2B
    Day 2, VA, USA, FD

So the day before yesterday I did not drink enough water, that means stepping on the scale yesterday morning did not show much of a loss. Drinking more water today, or at least trying. I know I didn’t drink enough b/c 1. I only refilled my canister ONCE. (I should be refilling it at least twice and I also didn’t have a cup of water before bed. I also know I didn’t drink enough water b/c my lips were dry (I don’t use chapstick on purpose, I mean unless I’m in Denver where the air is SUPER dry) I try to let my lips be a reminder that I need to drink water. *I’ve noticed when I drink enough water my lips are not dry.

Ok enough of a water rant.

Having Broth with 2 cut up carrots tonight. Simple and I love it. Calories are easy to count 30 for broth 20ish for each carrot (they were smallish carrots) 70 calories total.

Had a very simple salad for lunch. Beet greens, turnip greens, and spinach. Squeeze of lemon, dash of salt, and .25 oz of grated hard cheese. Which would prob top me out at about 50 calories for the whole thing.

@ccco – I’m trying and staying focused. Thank you for the shout out I appreciate it!

@penz – well, my reply to the “starve” comment is… that research has shown that no one starves in a day OR even 7 days. *There is a saying “The body can go 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food” So the human body can go up to 21 days without food! Yup 21 days. If we can go so long without food, I have a feeling we were actually made to probably not eat EVERY DAY. Maybe Every other day or every few days is more than likely our natural human rhythm. AND like you said “it works” – I also like that “I feel better” when I have FDs. Like I feel freer and lighter and like I have some sense of willpower in my bones dang it! Rock on Penz!

@lilymartin – lets dream together! I’m still not at my goal (and then maintenance *which I can tell is the real test of this WOL) so I’ll still be there hanging on to the wagon hoping the hell I can keep my grip. Its not always easy to do FDs but they sure make me feel better and lighter AND my lab results came back with flying colours heck yeah!

@matpi – Trying to figure out if you made a typo or being sarcastic about a HOT 25 degrees F (14 C) = which I think would be still about 57F which still wouldn’t be hot in my book. My guess is leaning toward you are being sarcastic.

@betsylee – seriously a pop up of doughnuts! WTF? My only saving grace “might” be that I would say in my head “they are probably crappy doughnuts and not fresh” Thats what I would say and then TRY to run the other way. However, we do have a traveling doughnut truck here in Richmond and they are the BEST FRESH out the fried goodness after being druged through glaze doughnut around town. I avoid the places that – that truck is at… hence no days would be FDs!

Pocket list Day 3
    @neilithicman
    @lilymartin
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @funshipfreddie
    @ccco
    @bellyblast
    @rabbette B2B2B2B

Day 3 – UK – NFD

Day 4 CD country west Australia
    Whoop de doooooo!!!!!!!
    yesterday’s b2b went really well. Have reset the hunger signals – only took 3 days.
    The good news is that the scales are showing 2.5 kg loss in 3 days and I don’t care that it’s probably mostly water.
    The scales are finally heading south.
    The bad news is that it simply shows what a glutton I had become in the past 2 years.
    May as well call a spade a spade or in this case – a glutton a glutton. Sad but true.😔
    @rabbette looking forward to holding your hand, holding on to our hats and seatbelts on for a wild, bouncy, bone shakin’ ride! ( I have a picture of us as cowgirls on the wagon tearing along at breakneck speed bouncing along over very rocky terrain, just like in the Westerns!! Very visual person here.)
    @songbirdme, oh dear. Your predicament re water in the basement sounds awful. It’s too dry here in Aus to even imagine so much water. Hope you get it dry.
    Have a Good Friday/ fast day/ non-fast day/ controlled day/ friend day/ whatever day. Just hope it’s good.😁

Day 4 – Japan – WFD (try #2 for #70 in 2019)

My exercise hasn’t been going that well, mostly because of schedule. Still I’m working at it. I’ve been thinking of my next goal and frankly I think I’m too fat. The exercise would be easier if I were lighter. My body fat runs in the 17% to 20% range. So I’m going to work on bringing it down to to around 15%. Then I’ll decide where to go from there. Body fat reduction is mostly diet and well I have hard fasts sometimes, mostly it is easy. I just need to cut back some on my non-fast days.

Day 3 Ohio, US — MFD
    Day — NFD (65 bites)

The MFD has gone well. Just finished watching a DVD of Gilbert and Sullivan’s HMS Pinafore performed by the Australian Opera Company. Anthony Warlow plays the Captain. It’s a brilliant performance and in my books it’s the definitive version of this operetta.

@rabbette That was 25F <<<above>>> the average temperature, so for a total of 94F (34C). Tonight it’s supposed to get down into the low to mid 50’s. These days we need the air conditioner on during the day and the heat on at night!

@songbirdme Sorry to hear about the leakage problems with the water. For me the concerns about what nefarious things the weather could do to the house was the most nerve-wracking part of home owning. I’m really enjoying renting right now.

@lilymartin Congrats on getting the scales to move in the right direction! I was ecstatic over mine moving properly last week after staying steady for 3 weeks. Maybe they should make a movie “How to Train Your Scales.” 🙂

Have a great end of the work week all!

Day 2 and 3 California NFD

Slight work crisis so I haven’t had time to post. Hope everyone is doing ok.

Day 4 Melb Aust FD (still day 3 in most parts of the world!)

Hi everyone, great posting!

Good to see the accountability flowing, so keep it up @ccco, @metatauta, @brightonbelle, @therealwil78 and @TLC3

@flourbaby and @rabbette, yeah, having a pop-up doughnut store is a pain, especially as they are all of yummy, different and fresh.

@flourbaby, good to have an aim for 70 kg – me too (though for me it’s only half the journey!)

@i hate lettuce, good that you’re aware of both your MR and TDEE. Obviously for you, counting calories is important. I hope the weigh-in goes well.

@neilithicman, you’re showing good consistent weight loss, so well done. Lucky you not to have the discouraging hormone swings many others on the thread have to deal with.

@tlc2, good that your first FD went well, plus you’ve actually made the step to go to the gym.

@mia139, welcome back to this WOL, so let’s make this month count.

@lilymartin, Aren’t accidental FDs great! No pain, but hopefully good gain. Really chuckled over your fat fairy comments.

@penz, great the B2B FDs went well, and that the piece of office birthday cake was small. We’ll be rooting for you to get down to 80 kg.

@songbirdme, well done on your accidental FD, and hope the basement dries out soon.

@wacm, hope your internal clock settles quickly so you feel better. We have that on the Aussie east coast this coming weekend.

@snowflake56, great, another good CD. Keep up the good work.

@ciren2, you have some very good health reasons to be on the WOL. The weight will shift down again.

@FUNFHIPFREDDIE, have you survived your FD?

@suresh3101, good CD for day 2; hope the day 3 FD is going well.

@yo-yo Fletch, one swallow does not make a summer, and one EFS day does not equal a failure. You’ll work out the NFDs. Good luck with your FD2.

@yvonneb, good luck with your FD, and great that you’re enjoying the callinetics.

@bellyblast, good luck with the FD. So, not carbs? Maybe just natural body shape when carrying extra kilos? My weight’s mainly on hips and thighs, so my backside sticks out more when I’m fatter. Sigh!

@rabbette, B2B2B? Well done you! Hope you’re remembering the water, and I agree, there’s such a good feeling of self-control when a FD is achieved.

@lilymartin, great that the scales are moving down, down, down – long may it continue!

@dykask, yes, it is indeed harder to exercise when a person is heavier. Walking more is a good start, but 70% at least of weight loss comes from food. The advantage of exercise is the improvement in shape with tighter muscles.

@matpi, also love the Gilbert and Sullivan operas. They’re always good for a laugh. Notice you’re keeping those bites down, even on NFDs

@rafiki44, hope the work crisis settles quickly.

Onward and downwards everyone!

Day 4, Emden Germany, FD

good NFD yesterday ~1265 cals.

@betsylee thanks for keeping an eye on me, it’s much appreciated!

Pocket list day 4

@betsylee
    @dykask WFD
    @snowflake56

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 4: Gloucestershire, UK, NFD:

Weight stable. Hard, busy time at work. The mail is going up as the dreaded Christmas post approaches! Lots of parcels, not great weather. We forge ahead….
    @lilymartin: Your news is good….I can tell you are feeling great.
    @dykask: Our water fasting inspiration!

Day 4 FD London UK

I reread the Jason Fung book yesterday as a way of getting myself back to fasting. I’m probably not the only one to have put weight back on because now we know a weight loss method that actually works ( with loads of beneficial side effects), it’s a bit easy to take things for granted and backslide. I just need to get my head in the right place to get started again. I did one really good FD last week, but I need two a week, regardless of where I am or who I’m with. Hey ho. Have a good day all. H

Morning everyone Day 4 UK …. NFD

Weigh in morning…. great start to the day… NEW LOW … now a total of 17 lbs lost.

Going to stop weighing every day! After last Friday weigh in lost a couple of pounds over weekend and got back to pre holiday low weight, then nothing happened all week, FD yesterday and then this morning, success. Actual loss.. 3lbs since last Friday.

Only way I can do this is, record all calories taken in, even if overestimated (OH is very good at helping with this, she likes the results!) walks every day, at pace get the heart rate up. Certainly eating sensible sized portions, reduced alcohol intake, but not given up the odd glass of red! Feeling good and changing shape!

Have a great weekend everyone and good luck anyone on FD …. Take care

Day 4 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – CD

FD went well yesterday. For me lunch time is the toughest part, around 11:30pm when I normally eat my first meal on NFDs. After that it’s all downhill, and a matter of staying occupied until 6pm.

So today I’m going for a CD so I can indulge a little more over the weekend. I really don’t get ravenously hungry anymore on fast days. I’m sure our fasting ability is like a muscle, and gets stronger the more we use it. It’s certainly a skill anyway, which improves over time.

@yo-yo – living up to your name with an unscheduled EFS?! I hope yesterday went better. Nothing wrong with an EFS, but not a good idea on a FD. 😜 No, throwing in the towel is not an option. You can do this! Did you plan ahead what you were going to eat, and when? That’s half the battle for me. I seem to arrive at the chocolate aisle whenever I’m in a supermarket, and spend time arguing with myself. But if I do succumb, I buy only the smallest bar, one of those little 35g ones. Any other ‘treats’ are fruit or raw nuts. There are a lot of things I just don’t buy, so even if I do go a bit mad, whatever is in the kitchen won’t do too much damage.

@matpi – I love Gilbert and Sullivan! I was in a production of ‘The Pirates of Penzance’ when I was at college in the ’70s. It was quite possibly one of the happiest weeks of my life. I still listen to the overture occasionally.

Good luck Friday fasters; let’s rock October! 🍏

Pocket List – Day 4
    @dykask
    @betsylee
    @snowflake56
    @emma-taylor

Day 4 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – CD

FD went well yesterday. For me lunchtime is the toughest part, around 11:30pm when I normally eat my first meal on NFDs. After that it’s all downhill, and a matter of staying occupied until 6pm.

So today I’m going for a CD so I can indulge a little more over the weekend. I really don’t get ravenously hungry anymore on fast days. I’m sure our fasting ability is like a muscle, and gets stronger the more we use it. It’s certainly a skill anyway, which improves over time.

@yo-yo – living up to your name with an unscheduled EFS?! I hope yesterday went better. Nothing wrong with an EFS, but not a good idea on a FD.😜 No, throwing in the towel is not an option. You can do this! Did you plan ahead what you were going to eat, and when? That’s half the battle for me. I seem to arrive at the chocolate aisle whenever I’m in a supermarket, and spend time arguing with myself. But if I do succumb, I buy only the smallest bar, one of those little 35g ones. Any other ‘treats’ are fruit or raw nuts. There are a lot of things I just don’t buy, so even if I do go a bit mad, whatever is in the kitchen won’t do too much damage.

@matpi – I love Gilbert and Sullivan! I was in a production of ‘The Pirates of Penzance’ when I was at college in the ’70s. It was quite possibly one of the happiest weeks of my life. I still listen to the overture occasionally.

Good luck Friday fasters, and let’s rock October! 🍏

Pocket List – Day 4
    @dykask
    @betsylee
    @snowflake56
    @emma-taylor

Day 4 Leeds,UK FD

Doing a strict FD today, yesterday the FD was going good until evening only for the wife to come and crash it by forcing me to have a bowl of rice 🙁 She thought I am going to faint doing this fasting.
    So I am punishing myself for not keeping up with the rules yesterday. Will be more strict on the wife and food today lol. Have a good day everyone.

Day 4 Melb Aust FD second post

Managed more a CD than an FD today, but …. better than it could have been. And NO doughnuts! 🙂

@snowflake56, you are really starring. A FD today, and at 1265 cals, I’d call yesterday a CD, not a NFD. I hope the scales reward you for your diligence.

@ciren2, good to hear from you. I can imagine that the mail build-up towards Christmas can be a real challenge, especially if you have to transport a lot of parcels.

@emma Taylor, Good luck with your FD today. How’s the Zumba going? Could you tell me the name of Jason Fung’s book, please? I’ve only read the Micheal Mosley ones, and looked at Jason Fung’s presentations on Youtube.

@i hate lettuce, 3 lb in a week; you’re doing well. If calorie counting is what you need to do – whatever works!

@funshipfreddie, enjoy your CD, and I agree, planning your eating ahead, especially on FDs is a great way to help control the eating.

@suresh3101, hope today’s FD goes well. Just an extra bowl of rice yesterday probably means it was a CD, so still reduced calories – no punishment, please! It seems that educating one’s OH about this WOL can take patience, though.

So, good progress so far this month everyone. Keep up the good work.

Day 4 Canada FD

Enjoyed yesterday’s FD I am doing another today, so glad I am back in the groove.
    @funshipfreddie I agree that fasting is like a muscle and the body adapts quickly, for me it is also that mid-day meal that is tough. I am finding a brothy soup does the trick and then straight out the door for a walk so temptation doesn’t win.

@ihate lettuce way to go! Thanks for the reminder about water @betsylee I am setting a reminder alarm on my phone.

Wishing all our newbies success, hang in there sometimes it takes a little while to figure this out but it is totally worth it when you do!

Pocket list
    @betsylee
    @dykask WFD
    @snowflake56
    @bellyblast

Day 4, VA, USA, FD B2Bx5

Well its been a slow fast this week, meaning slow decrease on the scales. I haven’t been walking as much due to the Toe – which I had x-rays and it is fractured. Dr says 4-6 weeks and keep it immobilized.

I’m looking forward to today being a FD usually I’m ready for some kind of heartier meal by today, but I’ve got a lot to do and I’m happy to just indulge in my salad at lunch and soup for dinner.

On a side note I found this by Dr Fung video which discusses the starvation mode myth and several other things that were backed up by studies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk

@lilymartin – I’m very visual too and that is some great imagery! We’ll keep each other on the wagon no matter how many bumps we hit!

@dykask – oh my I just looked at my body fat % and was like oh!! I’m a little far from 15% I then looked up the % for both men and women and women are about 10% higher than men. So then I looked and it seems I’m right on target. Good luck with widdling that percentage down.

@matpi – ah yes then 94 degrees would be HOT! Its hot here too but for Ohio that is a bit steamy! What! AC in the Day, Heat at night! I’d just be cold at night (or use an electric blanket)

@betsylee – getting better with the water.

@songbirdme – Here in VA most places do not have a basement b/c of potential flooding of the said basement. Some folks who do have them use this thing called a Sump Pump. Everyone who has gotten one says they don’t know how they lived without it before. Not sure how it works b/c I’ve not had a basement here in VA.

@i hate lettuce – great job on your new low -17 down yay!

@funshipfreddie – oooo you mentioned chocolate. One way I find keeping my chocolate intake to a small portion is to get 100% cacao. Its usually near baking as most folks don’t eat it pure. But it has no sugar AND I find I get satisfied with that one tiny square! Which means more for other days!.

@suresh3101 – there are great benefits to fasting and tell your wife you will not faint. Especially from one day of Fasting. Your wife may benefit from watching the video link I posted above.

Pocket list
    @betsylee
    @dykask WFD
    @snowflake56
    @bellyblast
    @rabbette B2Bx5

Hi @betsylee
    The Jason Fung book is ‘The Complete Guide to Fasting’. It’s a bit different from Michael Moseleys book. Jason Fung’s is a bit more technical, but you definitely get the idea he completely knows what he’s talking about. I think it helps to get you into the right frame of mind for fasting. That said, today’s FD went badly wrong at about 7 o’clock. We were quizzing in Southwark Cathedral, of all places , and a huge tray of sausages appeared which I had two of. I don’t even like sausages! They just winked at me. Bleurgh. I’ll try again tomorrow. Disaster.

Day 5 – New Zealand – NFD

Yay, first day of my holiday and I sept in until 11am. What a luxury.

I’ve got my first game of tennis of the season today so I’m really looking forward to that, considering I’m 40 kilos lighter than last season I should be able to get around the court a bit faster (yes, fasting makes you faster)

We’re leaving for our holiday tomorrow so I’ll probably be maintaining radio silence for a week, but I’m planning on taking my scales with me so I don’t miss my regular Wednesday weigh-in.

Have a great day everyone and a nice easy fast for those of you fasting today.

Day 5 – Japan – NFD

My water fast day turned into a normal 5:2 FD. Ugh! However this time it wasn’t because I wasn’t feeling well, it was because I wanted my wife to feel better.

Try #3 coming on Monday.

@betsylee – I actually exercise over six hours a week, mostly pretty hard. Not sure about the 70% figure, seems low. Diet trumps exercise every time. The problems with exercise is over compensation. Work hard – rest more – eat more. Diet wins and you gain weight, mostly fat. Muscle gains are slow.

@rabbette – Women have advantages when it comes to fat. Storage areas that men find attractive and less likely to build up the deep and dangerous visceral fat. 18% body fat on a man is just okay, on a woman is is pushing their luck. So I think it is generally okay for a woman to have 10% higher body fat than a man.

Day 4 USA (Illinois) NFD

Gave my every-8-week pint of blood today, so had to eat and drink regular meals all day. Quite unusual to eat 3 squares.

Basement is drying out, thank the Lord. We have a sump pump that has stopped working @rabbette and really miss it. No water is supplying it, which means the tiling is clogged or broken somewhere . A real pain.

Hope to read and catch up on more posts soon.

Onward and downward.

Day 5, Emden Germany, NFD

good FD yesterday ~415 cals.

@betsylee 1265 cals is only 65 cals under my goal weight TDEE of 1330 cals. My problem is I’m doing well on the first week of the challenge, the rest of the month isn’t that great. Plan to do better this month.

@rabbette poor you, first the shoulder and now the toe, hoping for a fast healing.

Day 5: Gloucestershire, UK, NFD:
    Just a quick “hello” before work.

@betsylee: Yay for no doughnuts!
    @rabbette: Sorry to hear about your poor toe….
    @songbirdme: Oh dear….water in the house where it shouldn’t be. What a nightmare.

Day 5 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@rabbette – re chocolate, 100% cacao?! I don’t think I’d enjoy that. I usually get the 78%. I can have a couple of squares of that and then leave it alone. Even the 85% is a little bitter for me. Although if there was some kind of chocolate drought, and only 100% was available, I’m sure I could acquire a taste for it 🤔 🍫.

@emma-taylor – Jason Fung’s, ‘The Obesity Code’ is also a great read. There’s a chapter on fasting, which he refers to as ‘the ancient secret’.

Have a good weekend everyone 🍏 ☀️

Day 5 – Lake district UK – NFD

Morning everyone,

Amongst many things I like about 5:2 apart from it works for me, is the flexibility.

FD’s I manage OK, but couldn’t manage water only, a step too far. But the rest of the week I stay under my BMR (currently 1921) with maybe an odd exception ie holidays.

Yesterday (I’m a terror for keeping notes)
    Calories in 1725 which is 196 under BMR ….. this includes, a couple of rum and cokes last night AND a packet of crisps …. luckily my OH helps enormously, we cook (a lot) so healthy and calorie counted food is now constant!
    BUT … 5:2 allows a little indulgence followed by careful days and FD’s

Going to be an interesting week, strange this morning not leaping on scales, got to keep off them until Friday!

World Cup Rugby time …. Have a good one those on FD’s take care all.

Day 5 Herefordshire
    Hi All,
    Thanks to those that kindly remembered me I fondly miss you all and wish everyone happy fasting and continued success.

@snowflake56 – thank you for the lovely reply and am sure you’ll get into the groove with this WOL again soon, practice does make perfect. I’m still in limbo! I’m trying to focus on being ‘just sensible’ as I’ve had a bout of rebelling so fear fasting might trigger negative mind games, once in a more balanced place I might give it a go. I tried last week and obviously my heart and head were not in the same place as it ended in failure. Maybe it’s me that needs to adopt the ‘practice makes perfect’ mantra!

I do miss our Saturday chats too, it was great solidarity and fun and we covered quite a variety of topics. It’s so illuminating reading everyone’s posts from around the world we are all not so different from each other, love, friendship and respect makes the world go round.

We only met Richard Booth once and only briefly whilst in his King of Hay shop but sadly he wasn’t a well man even then and that’s going back nearly eight years ago. I guess all reigns come to an end but he’s left a wonderful legacy and made a difference not only to Hay but many towns across the world and that’s something to be celebrated. Not wishing the demise of your cat but I do hope you do find your way to this part of the world soon, let me know when you do!

My DS is getting married next September to his long standing partner so that’s exciting but also horrifying at the thought of being a MOG (is that the right abbreviation?!!!) So I’ll have to work out a doable plan soon! I’ll keep you posted and will pop in now again, good luck and best wishes xxxx

Day 5 Canada NFD

A quick check in to wish you all a great day. No fasting for me this weekend but will keep 16:8 and MFD going!

Day 5 California NFD

My uncle is over from the UK and will be visiting us today and tomorrow so there will be meals out… I have already compensated by doing my strength exercises and my stair stepper and not eating so far today.

Day 6 – New Zealand – NFD

I’m heading off for a holiday for the next week so I may be off the grid for a while. Fast days are going to be a challenge. Luckily it’s a NFD when we’re travelling, because a long drive usually means fast food rather than fast day 😕

Day 5 Ohio, US — NFD (59 bites)
    Day 4 — NFD (65 bites)

Two good NFD’s. Othwerwise pretty ordinary days.

@betsylee Counting bites is the only way that I can keep my eating in any way under control on NFD’s. Using the feedback mechanism helps me to keep losing weight while not feeling too hungry on NFD’s.

@neilithicman Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

@rafiki44 Also hope you have a terrific weekend with your visiting uncle!

Have a great weekend all!

Day 6, Emden Germany, NFD

stayed just under 1330 cals yesterday but didn’t make the best choices but it’s fine.

@dingping lovely to hear from you on a Saturday! I agree on Richard Booth’s legacy, for booklovers booktowns are heaven. The Dutch booktown we used to go to a lot is in decline. It did great when it started but a lot of shops have closed up and some shops still exist but only sell online. How exciting to be a MOG, so much planning to do nowadays. Will your house play a role in this, I imagine a large garden party filled with beautiful dressed guests like in “Four Weddings and a Funeral”. Just try to eat sensible, that can be hard enough if you’re not in the right mindset. With the upcoming wedding I know you will be back on track on time. I’d love to hop over the Channel for a visit but don’t see it happen in the near future. Friends offered to take care of the cat but I don’t want to leave him alone for too long. Hope you pop in again soon, take care and feel hugged. xxx

Day 6 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Way to go England! 39 – 10 against Argentina.

@neilithicman – happy holidays.

And a happy S🌞nday to everyone, as we head into week 2

Day 6, London, UK, NFD,

I’ve been MIA for a couple of days, 2 lovely OMAD meals out, although the vino & cocktails were flowing a little too easily for my liking!! I’m putting it behind me and moving swiftly on!!!

I can’t believe the 1st week of the challenge is almost over!!! I must finish this month completing perfect 500cal FDs and below goal weight TDEE NFDs!!! It’s ‘finger-out’ time!!! @betsylee, I’m using 70kg as my October goal, I suppose my ultimate goal depends on how I (and my creaky knees!!) feel, so maybe 140lbs/ 63kgs, we’ll see, eventually!

Something someone said on another thread which rang true and I need to remember, is this ……………………. “several years of 5:2 have persuaded me that losing weight is not difficult, so I got too casual. Time to start again!” …………………………………
    I don’t like it, but it’s true, so back on the wagon and proper 5:2 from now on!!! I’m with you @funshipfreddie, I’m about to rock October!!!

Roll on week 2, I’m aiming for -2lbs per week and that’s that; no excuses or amputations!!!

@flourbaby – fellow Londoner! I concur with all that! I think the hardest part is finding the right days to fast. DH always has big plans what to eat, so his face falls when I can’t join in. I’ve just got to be a bit tougher. It’s not like I’m stopping him eating, but it feels like I’m spoiling his fun. Although the logical conclusion of that train of thought is a wife getting bigger and bigger. Bleurgh.

Day 6: Gloucestershire, UK, NFD:

Bright and breezy day, just been spoilt by the neighbours burning plastic in their garden. Had to get the washing in and shut the windows!
    Done two decent dog-walks today, so far. The dog gets lucky on my days’ off….as DH is pretty crippled while awaiting his new knee……sometime in six months.

Have a good day, all xx

Day 6 USA (Illinois) NFD

Did an 16:8 yesterday, holding my own. DH had a fire in our basement woodburning stove running all day that really helped dry out the basement. Some new rain that didn’t add more seepage — yeah for that.

My Chicago Bears are playing football(NFL) in London today! We watched a little of the Australia vs. Uruguay Rugby match that was on our TV last evening. I can well see how so many of you find it a fascinating game.

Onward and downward.

Day 7 Melb Aust (but really only day 6, as it’s just 1 a.m. here) NFD
    Day 6 NFD

Had a great weigh-in yesterday morning, 0.7 kg down, and the eating promptly went haywire for the weekend -sigh! Back on the wagon again. Just signing in at the end of a busy weekend, will catch up properly in another 12 hours or so.

Glad to see good progress and the quality of perseverance being exercised. Don’t give up. I had the pleasure of sorting out my summer clothes last week, and allocated several items for the op shop because they are now too big. It’s a good feeling.

Will catch up on comments soon. Have a more controlled weekend than mine!!! We’re all in this together. 🙂

Day 7 – Japan – WFD (#70 try #3!)

Hopefully I’ll make it today. Managed to already get in over 10000 steps with 125 floors of stairs. Not tearing down muscles though since I’m not eating today.

Day 7: Gloucestershire, UK, NFD:

Ready for work, and I hear the rain outside in the dark. How I wish I could stay indoors!

@dykask, you will succeed today, I’m sure. How is your son getting on at Princeton?

Day 7, Emden Germany, FD

very busy day yesterday with only ~700 cals, going for a regular FD today.

Pocket list day 7

@dykask WFD
    @snowflake56

Day 7 UK FD

Been away for the weekend with several family members so a bit of a food and wine fest but back on track today!

Day 7 Lake District UK … FD

After a weekend of reasonably careful eating and drinking, managed to keep under my BMR of 1921, so FD today. Can’t bring myself to do a water only day, but have some good home-made soup full of veggies ready for action.

Hope FD’s a good one for those ‘indulging’!! Take care all.

Pocket list day 7
    @dykaskWFD
    @snowflake56
    @ihatelettuce

Day 7 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

The first week has gone well for me, I think. Been to gym and done yoga almost every day. Kept to my fast days. Wasn’t too reckless over the weekend. I’ll find out when I weigh myself tomorrow. Let’s make today a good one 🍏

Pocket List – Day Seven
    @dykask WFD
    @snowflake56
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @mia139
    @funshipfreddie

Day 7 – FD – Ireland

Sorry for jumping in at day 7. My last fast day was at the end of June so I realllly need a reset. I had a lovely relaxed summer of eating though. Glad to read that so many of you are in the same boat – I haven’t completely caught up with your posts but I intend to in my down time.

I’m a youngish person with average build who has moved past the age of 25 and is struggling to adapt to my metabolism going from that of a teenager/21 year old to that of an adult working a 9-5 office job and an otherwise sedentary life.

Because I’m not over-weight I think that I need a real kick to shift those extra 10-14lb that are lingering and growing in number as the months go by. Fasting has proved the ONLY way I can do this and I was able to do this successfully for an event/holiday earlier this year. Since then I have struggled to complete one single fast day as my determination hasn’t been there.

I also felt that daily posts in this forum helped me to stay committed so here I am over 3 months later committing once again to a daily post.

All of my fast days will be water fast days (or black coffee) as I can’t seem to limit my calories once I start eating. This has worked in the past and I have been trying MFD’s during the summer but they just turn into either TDEE days or 2000kcal days.

Hope to start November with at least 3 weeks of consistent calorie deficits.

Best wishes to you all!

Day 7, London, UK, NFD

I’m aiming for a CD today, I’ve planned this week’s meals and I’ll stick to the plan rather than yo-yoing from good food days to bad food days.

@emma taylor, it’s a weird turn around for me, when I was a teenager and my family would mention my eating habits & weight gain (they favoured the ‘tough love’ approach ………………………….. it still hurts!) I would hide my eating from them to avoid the hurtful comments, now 30+ years later I’m hiding my fasting from them to avoid the ‘starving yourself’ comments and eating with them so I don’t hurt their feelings. It’s ridiculous that I’m putting others’ feelings ahead of my own, although, OH got on board fairly quickly 2 years ago after I explained I didn’t need him acting like a sulky toddler who couldn’t possibly manage to eat 2 meals per week on his own!!!!

Welcome to the challenge @granada293, I find daily posting the only thing that keeps me accountable, I can’t imagine where I would be without the monthly challenges …………………….. sleepwalking into obesity, no doubt!!! On NFDs I try to stay below my goal weight TDEE, which should educate me on what a ‘normal’ days intake is, so 1500cals (current TDEE or that random number of 2000cals give me a false sense of security!!) and stick to the initial 500cal limit on FDs. It works for me!! Good luck!!

@ciren2, good to see you back with us, no rain here ……………….. yet, just the most amazing red sunrise at 6-ish, I thought there was a fire somewhere with the bright red glow through the curtains!!!

I’m off to cook some salmon for tomorrows salad, preparation will be key this week. Onward & downwards folks!!

Day 7 – UK – FD

Where has the last 5 days gone – it seems I last posted on Day 2…….

Anyway on a pitch black, wet and cold morning I was out early at 0620 to go our usual 0700 Broga class with OH – definitely did not want to be out there but needs must especially after an indulgent 3 day weekend……definitely feeling better afterwards 😇

Still struggling with indulgence on several of my NFDs…….need to find my motivation with regards to that one………thankfully I am managing to keep up with my exercise regime and also mostly managing 2 x FDs each week…….but keeping at the top end and slightly above my target weight range – @lilymartin and @yo-yo-fletch – totally agree with you both how quickly the calories add up …….

@betsylee – thank you I did make a good start to the challenge but did not carry on in that vein I’m afraid – that little🍷 and 🍰 😈 has been lurking on my shoulder way too much since 😉
    @rabbette – sorry to hear that you are struggling with a shoulder and toe injury – not the best for a yoga teacher – hopefully they are both improving…..
    @bellyblast – so sorry to hear about your health struggles – 4 surgeries since 2017 and a further one looming is a lot to undergo and recover from. All 💪 to you for staying focused and carrying on with this WOL – I found reducing my white carb intake helped a lot with reducing fat storage around my abdomen, might be worth considering….
    @jaifaim – hope you are having a fabulous time in Bella Italia – enjoy with no guilt – we will be here when you get back to support you into getting back into fasting and this WOL x
    @flourbaby – love reading your posts, they always make me smile – vision of you falling off your chair at the mention of the pop up doughnuts………your nemesis…….
    @mia139 – welcome back from early May Challenge – plenty of time between now and January to shed a few of those unwanted lbs – YOU CAN DO THIS 💪 Stick with us and we will support x
    @lilymartin and @songbirdme – love those accidental FDs
    @penz – accountability is a first big step – I know you probably know this bit of advice but it bears repeating to remind us all and may also help those new to this WOL….
    *Stick to the basic plan for the first couple of months – it works!!
    *On NFD eat to the TDEE FOR THE WEIGHT YOU WANT TO BE and NOT your current weight and you will lose weight faster! and find it easier to adjust to smaller portions once you reach your target!
    *Don’t overestimate your exercise level!!!
    *Don’t add the calories lost due to exercise into your daily calorie allowance as it is already taken into account when you work out your TDEE!
    *Try to drink at least 2L of water daily
    @songbirdme – so sorry to hear about your basement flooding issues – I agree about getting a contractor who can help solve your problems and stop it happening again if at all possible – good luck x
    @snowflake56 – I would count 825cals as a FD800 😉
    @ciren2 – lovely to see you posting regularly – I keep hoping that you find your fasting mojo back and as @snowflake56 suggested perhaps using your daughter’s visit to help focus on shedding a few lbs might be a good way to start 🤞
    @yo-yo-fletch – please don’t write off October after an EFS day – we all have them – Hope your Day 3 FD went well 🤞
    @i-hate-lettuce – well done on dispatching those 17lbs so far – great to hear that you are feeling good and changing shape!
    @dingping – lovely to have you joining us for this October Challenge
    @neilithicman – Hope you have a great time on holiday
    @granada293 – welcome to the October Challenge – never too late to join this amazing international group of 5:2ers…..

I’m joining the Pocket List today as I suspect I will need all the support to keep my motivation up on this damp and grey October day……….

Pocket List – Day Seven
    @dykask WFD
    @snowflake56
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @mia139
    @funshipfreddie
    @granada293
    @at

Very apt for today “LIFE is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to DANCE in the RAIN”

Day 7 UK NFD

Hello just on my way back from a long weekend of celebrating Couldn’t log on as hotel was a WiFi blackspot Will fast tomorrow and aiming for a good week as off to Sicily next Monday Have a good week all x

Day 7 USA (Illinois) NFD

Hope to keep controlled today. Our Choral Society social is this evening, and that means about 40 minutes of grazing around a table of finger food treats, sweet and savory. That will be my supper. I always try to bring something with protein, so tonight will be artichoke dip that has lots of cheese.

Onward and downward.

Day 7 Melb Aust NFD

Not doing as well as I’d hoped, so am taking some words from others to heart; we all learn together.

@at, good words to start with – let’s all dance in the rain of life!

@bellyblast, good idea to eat midday soup, then go straight out to walk, away from temptation! Hope the 16:8 and MFD worked for the weekend.

@rabbette, ouch! Fractured toe – poor you. Very frustrating for a yoga teacher. Good that you’re paying more attention to the water intake. I couldn’t face 100% cacao – like @funshipfreddie, find it too bitter. Couldn’t even come at 78% like he does!

@emma Taylor, Thanks for the name of the Jason Fung book. I’ll try to get hold of it. Oops re the sausages that wrecked the FD. By the way, why don’t you just set your FDs beforehand and make sure your OH knows when they are, so he can’t sabotage you with unhappy faces.

@neilithicman, hope the tennis went well, and enjoy your holidays.

@dykask, even a 500 cal FD is good, if your usual WFDs don’t appeal at the moment. Great to get the 10000 steps and 125 floors in. I agree, 70% diet, 30% exercise may be a bit low on the diet side – couldn’t remember the actual figures I’ve read, so erred on the side of caution.

@songbirdme, good the basement is drying out, especially with the help of the fire, and that you’re holding your own in controlling the eating.

@snowflake56, I was surprised at your goal TDEE, it sounds a bit low – are you looking up the TDEE as being sedentary? As a lightly active, aged 70 female, 154 cm and weighing 52 kg, my TDEE will be 1336, and I’m sure your weight goal isn’t as low as mine. Maybe re-calculate it? Well, anyway, it’s good that you’re staying under the 1330, and had a 700 calorie day 7.

@ciren2, hello to you, too. Glad you’re persevering with us. Please be careful in the rain. I remember how sick you were last winter.

@funshipfreddie, glad you’re enjoying the rugby world cup, as is @i hate lettuce. I hope the scales have reflected all your hard work this past week by being kind to you.

@i hate lettuce, watch the crisps, hmm? They are so addictive. Hope Monday’s FD is going well.

@dingping, it was lovely to read your post – please pop in every now and again, and welcome; we love to hear form you. If sensible eating for a time is what you need, then that’s the best way for you to go.

@rafiki44, Hope the uncle visit hasn’t been too disastrous for your eating. Good that you prepared by doing extra exercise first.

@matpi, I really admire your diligence with your counting. I couldn’t do it, but it obviously works well for you.

@flourbaby, good control with your 2 OMAD outings, and I’m with you about taking the rest of October seriously with this WOL. Good to plan your week’s eating.

@mia139, hold your own today, after the weekend, and really get back on track. That’s what I’m telling myself, too, though for me it’s from Tuesday, not Monday.

@granada293, welcome to the October forum. We’re glad that you can join us, and good luck with your FDs.

@brightonbelle, good luck with your day 8 FD.

Well, it’s really day 8 where I am, already; another late night. I’ll make sure I sleep longer in the morning. Everyone please look also at your sleep patterns. It’s much harder to control eating if you don’t get enough sleep.

So, eat sensibly and sleep well, everyone! 🙂

USA Day 7 FD

Jumping in here for support. Another FD but a little above 600 calories and no wine today! I find that I lose more weight by not drinking alcohol (for me that means wine)! I think I will have to reserve my glass of wine for the weekends. I do have to have fun sometimes in order to continue this WOL! LOL Hope everyone is doing well today.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 539 total)

You must be logged in to reply.