Obese and needing to learn what 'eating normally' should be/ is

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Obese and needing to learn what 'eating normally' should be/ is

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Amazon 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Hello

I have been reading the forums posts on whether to calorie count or not on non fasting days. Sadly, after a few good tries to do it without constant counting, I think I have decided it is what I must do.

Potted history: I could do with losing about 5 stone. So I am obese, if not morbidly obese. I started doing 2 days fasting about 18 months ago and felt very positive about it. Not having to think about what you’re eating all the time was such a relief for someone who has done most ‘diets’ many times. I certainly felt better after a few months but hadn’t shifted much weight – it was really negligible – a few pounds. (I should add that I know it is not all about losing weight but I hoped, for someone as overweight as me, that I would lose.)

Then I decided to step it up to 3 days a week fasting and also to stop weighing myself every week (it was demotivating me and a friend said I should just trust in the science). Increasing by a day wasn’t that easy but I did it and I did continue to feel better and people continued to say they could see I’d lost weight. However after about 6 months (admittedly bar a 3 week break at Christmas) I have still not lost weight, although some clothes are looser.

I am despondent and really struggling to figure out why I’ve not lost weight. I can only assume it’s because I am not eating ‘normally’ on non fasting days, and that for me the only answer to this is to track everything I eat on those days. I feel a bit sad about this because as I said the appeal of this for me is that it doesn’t require you to be obsessed by food. However, I think – for me – and possibly for other obese people, we really need to re-educate ourselves about what ‘normal’ is. clearly my ‘normal’ is very different from others’. if people eat ‘normally’ they probably wouldn’t need to do this in the first place – discuss? (or not)

I expect that tracking what I’m eating all the time will be an eye opener (depressing one?) for me.

Hi,

I started this WOE with a view to losing 5 stones. I lost weight for a while and then it stopped. I soon realised that I was eating too much on non fast days as my idea of normal was what led me to gaining weight in the first place ie I was overeating. After calculating my TDEE I started counting calories for a few weeks. This gave me a good idea of what a normal portion size should be and how much I could eat in order to stay witin my TDEE. Fast forward a year or so which included a few monthS off and regaining and losing some of the weight and I’m 4st 4lbs less than I was and have readjusted my target loss to 6st.
    It takes a long time to become 5st overweight, and it takes a while to work out how to lose it. Look on it as enlightenment rather than depressing, and take it from there. You can do it!

Hi

Thank you both for your frank and honest thoughts on what to eat on non-fast days. I too have >5 stones to lose. I am doing 4:3 to try and lose the weight.

Langas50 – I agree totally with your comments. I expect my “eating normally” is probably closer to 3000 calories per day. Like you, I thought that not having to obsess about food on a non-fasting day was most appealing. However, we’re all agreed that if we ate “normally”, we wouldn’t be obese in the first place! The advice from Amazon is extremely helpful and encouraging. I think monitoring my calorie intake on non-fast days is the way forward. I would be interested to hear how you get on over the next few weeks.

I am in a similar position with amount of weight to lose. I have lost 1 stone in 8 weeks so probably par to what I would expect. Not great numbers but I keep saying “where will I be in 6 months!!!” I find I am eating far far too much on my non fast days… everything from chocolate to cakes, great food and wine…. often lots of wine!!! For me I find that 4:3 works better than 5:2 but I also do lots of exercise… probably 4 hours of High Intensity Interval Training each week…. all of which allows me to eat what I want and still lose the required 1-2 lbs each week.
    Basically it is about finding the balance – reducing you calories appropriately on fast days….
    Doing enough exercise throughout the week to increase your TDEE….
    Then able to eat what you want on non fast days….
    It works for me – feel free to read up on my journey at my blog –

http://www.richjohnson29.wordpress.com

Hello all, I started out at about 15 stone (definitely a few lb over but not sure exactly) and my ‘ideal’ is supposed to be 9st3lb (yeah whatever – I’ll be happy with 10). I got down to 11st4 at about this time last year and it’s only my weird (and pre-existing) reaction to increasing exercise levels that’s kept me from losing any more in the past year.

I’ve actually put on a few more pounds in the past year but don’t go thinking I’ve dropped off the wagon or that the same thing will happen to you – extra exercise is just like that with me. More exercise = more muscle mass = more weight. I’m looking pretty damn good on it and I am FINALLY starting back on a downward trajectory, so hopefully I’ve finally reached the fat/muscle tipping point.

Anyway, I was pretty lucky to start with because I hadn’t actually piled on the pounds because I ate particularly unhealthily anyway. I put most of the weight on in my teens (too much bread/coke/chocolate/crisps etc.etc.) and just added a pound or two per year for the next 20 years. So when I started 5:2 I dropped a stone in 2 months without even realizing it. I dropped the next 3 stone in the following 18months or so, with the losses gradually slowing to a crawl.

You really DO need to address WHAT you eat, as well as how much at some point but when you’re still 3+ stone from anything resembling a ‘good’ BMI then I’d say it’s still the quantity that you’re struggling with. Portion sizing is key. Look at all of the foods that you really enjoy and work out what portion sizes you can get away with on a normal day and still come in under 2000kcal for the entire day.

Some people will work out what their ‘actual’ personal TDEE is and say that they’ll stick to that instead of 2000kcal but that’s not the point. Unless you are the size of a genuine house and your personal TDEE is SO far above 2000 that it’s not even visible from 2000 calories then 2000 should be your aim. It may even be too high for the calorie level you end up on at your ‘end state’ but for now it will be a benchmark and help you stick to a calorie level that is more healthy for Ms. Average and get you ready for the kind of calorie level you’ll be on for the rest of your life. By sticking to a calorie intake that is rough but definitely under 2000kcal you will be able to really concentrate on what you can have for your allowance long-term, rather than fixating on short-term goals and calorie allowances.

I must’ve spent most of my first year on 5:2 eating WAAAAAAY less than my ‘actual’ TDEE on non-fastdays, as I didn’t have a clue what a TDEE was until I found this website. I was just doing a 2000kcal:500kcal ratio. That’s why I dropped weight like it was going out of fashion for the first few months and it gradually ground to a drizzle. My weekly calorie deficit must’ve been well over 6000kcal, compared to the ‘maintaining’ diet I’d been on before. But it wasn’t tough to eat 2000kcal. I had to be a bit more aware of portions and I found just eating 2 meals a day (rather that bothering with a breakfast I didn’t really want) helped but I didn’t make any significant changes to WHAT I ate until very recently.

In my support group we took a week of eating as we usually do and recording what we eat. Cut 500 calories off your average daily calorie intake and that’s what you should aim to eat to lose weight. Don’t restrict yourself to 1600 calories a day if you usually eat 2600 a day. Just take 500 from your usual and eat that instead.

Thank you all very much for your helpful tips. I can go without breakfast on a fast day, but really looking forward to breakfast after a fast day. I managed to gobble down two soft boiled eggs this morning as soon as I had shelled them! Boy, they were good!

Stappss – your advice is very encouraging. I don’t feel quite so stressed about having to stick to my TDEE (I also didn’t know what it was until I joined the forum.)

Jonno – I’m afraid my exercise is pretty non-existent. With two replaced hips and painful, arthritic knees, I find it difficult to exercise. I’m lucky if I manage to walk 4,000 some days. Of course, any weight loss will help with my mobility. So, onwards and downwards hopefully! I’m off to make some veggie soup now for tomorrow’s fast day. Thanks again

Susie – I wrote in the 1st week of my blog that whatever diet you do it all comes down to one thing – calories in vs calories out.

Calories in…..Obviously 100kcal of refined sugar isn’t the same benefit as 100kcal of veg but stick to a balanced diet… follow the advice given on this post, 2 or 3 days a week reduce to 25% of your normal daily allowance and you will find you are going in the right direction.

Calories out…. simple – move more – replaced hips and arthritic knees shouldn’t stop you from doing something…anything!!! Find your local gym – speak to a gym instructor… they will give you a whole host of exercises which you can do given your ailments – swimming, walking, weights – by the sound of it, it is your legs that are the problem, well some tough love for you, there are people I see in the gym in wheelchairs – they can do loads of upper body exercises – its all about finding the niche that will allow you to go back to it 3-4 days a week for several months on end.

Do the above and after several months you will start to see big changes – then and only then should you consider exercises that your stronger body can do that put more strain on your problem joints!!!

Good luck

Susie, Jono79 is indeed correct, there are exercises you can do even with the problems you stated, especially swimming and recumbent bike. There are certain types of very serious arthritis pathologies that will prevent virtually all forms of exercise e.g. rheumatoid arthritis. My best friend has a terrible case of that and can barely walk, lucky for him he doesn’t have a weight problem along with it.

Something in your diet is likely contributing to tissue inflammation; inflammation has been linked to proteins found in animal products, therefor, one vegetarian day a week might help reduce your inflammation and in turn reduce inflammation, thus, reducing arthritis discomfort. I’m a former behavioral research scientist. One of the keys to the success of any lifestyle change is sustainability; it is this factor that causes the vast majority of people to not be able to stay on diets that restrict calorie intake too much or cut out certain foods entirely. For example, telling someone they have to give up bread for life is ridiculous and unsustainable for life for over 90% of dieters.

Once you find a way to workout that doesn’t hurt “too much” do the following. On fast days, before you eat anything go to the gym and burn off 250-500 calories. Virtually the entire time you work out on that fast day you will be burning fat and only fat. On non-fasting days after consuming food high in carbohydrates it takes approximately 90 minutes (the amount of time it takes to burn off the carbohydrates) before your body starts tapping into your fat reserves.

Losing weight is all about the math; you must burn more calories than you put in your body (overall). Thus you absolutely must COUNT CALORIES (myfitnespal) is a great way to do that. I have two close friends that are experts in nutrition and health; they train professional athletes and ordinary people and confirm what I said above. When you count calories it makes you aware of what you eat and your food choices naturally begin to change e.g. “I can have this 1100 calorie piece of cake now and only have 900 calories for the rest of the day or I can eat an apple with less than 100 calories and somewhat satisfy my urge for sweets and be able to eat a whole lot more that day”. 5:2 is all about living a closer to normal life, with respect to eating. It is entirely sustainable for life. I started at 6.8 stone from my initial goal weight; now after beginning on 2/06/2015 I am 5 stone away from my goal 3/20/2015.

Finally, get a food scale and weigh everything that you can’t calculate by other methods, you can eat too many veggies and put yourself over the limit of fast days. You absolutely must not pass the calorie limit on fast days because fast days are what cause fat to burn. As you lose weight you will notice a lot of metabolic changes e.g. systolic blood pressure reducing and resting heart rate improving if you exercise. You should start out exercising 2 days a week (the fast days) and then eventually work up to five days a week-giving yourself the weekend off. Exercise should not exceed 1 hour and 15 minutes and when you first begin not more than 45 minutes. On your non-fasting days do weight training only, light weights with 5 sets on each muscle group you are working that day. Your reps should be between 6-15 for each set. Your body will tell you what you can do and when you are doing too much. Good luck and remember your body continues to burn calories for hours after weight baring exercise; muscle mass in and of itself causes calories to continue burning. So start with the bike and swimming and then add as you go along.

I too have a skewed idea of normal eating. The fast days I find easy. I have one evening meal – that works. best for me. I am getting better on the feast days. I save calories where I can and then if I am out have a little more or a treat some days. I like the idea that tomorrow is another day and this is a plan for life.

TopsyT

Non fasting days are not feast days they are normal eating days. Thinking of them as feast days is counter intuitive.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.