Nurturing May 2022 Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Nurturing May 2022 Challenge

This topic contains 387 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 396 total)

• Day 11 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

All unpacking done, washing machine etc doing its bit ready to start packing again, for a quick turn around! Literally back from south of the country, now getting ready to go north into the Highlands of Scotland!
    Easy FD yesterday which replaced Monday after falling off the 5:2 FD bus! Got to say that’s the easy bit of managing 5:2 if you blow a FD don’t do it again the following day, just move the day!
    Glad to hear others are off exploring again …. ‘a pound spent on travel is not a pound wasted’ Anon.

Take care all

Hi
    Day 11
    18:6 and FD
    will eat at 5pm
    All going well. Feel great and lost weight – thank goodness
    Down to 90.9
    I am only eating circa 700 calories for an evening meal
    Tennis
    Running got a 5k race coming up ( Iโ€™m slow, but what the heck!)
    I have no doubt that gut health = good mental health, so keep on keepingโ€™ on !
    ๐Ÿ˜Š

Day 11 – South Africa ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ – NFD

PFDS for me! ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy Hump Day! ๐Ÿซ

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.” ~ Winston Churchill

Pocket List – Day 11 ๐Ÿฅ•
    @5413.5

Day 11 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 216 lbs. Going to do a WFD today. Plateau continues, but I’ll get there.

Pocket List โ€“ Day 11 ๐Ÿฅ•
    @5413.5
    @northgeorgia

Hello everyone.
    Im from Leeds, UK. Glad to be back here after nearly three years. Just enjoyed eating and lazing around and now crying to see my weight shoot up from 165lbs to 194lbs. Just blaming me for taking it too easy.
    Needed some motivation. So back where I found before. Will take the rest of the month to practice FDs and some physical activities. Start properly from June 1st. Got Plantar fasciitis, so not able to walk a lot. First I need to control the food intake and hoping to reduce some weight before I resume long walks.
    Weight as of today : 194lbs. Goal in next 4months : Reduce 30lbs.
    Will be tough but hoping to achieve that goal.
    Good luck everyone for fighting it out!!

Suresh

Day 11 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Weight: 144.8

Yup, that’s nearly five pounds down from yesterday’s weight. I didn’t say yesterday how surprised I was by how bad the scales were, but it didn’t make sense to me that I was up so much–and, remember, I’m the woman who not only weighs every morning, but most evenings before bed, and often other times as well–when I’m losing, it’s encouraging and exciting, and when I’m not losing, it’s a vain hope that gets me to the scale in desperate expectation–so I KNOW what my weight does from day to day. So that big loss? Well, let’s just say I’m no longer constipated. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Yesterday’s WF intentions–I got part way through the day–didn’t hurt the drop either, of course, but I’ve decided that enough has been going on with my body GI-wise (not good stuff, in other words) and my wildly fluctuating weight because of out-of-control eating on the weekends was way too discouraging and it was time to take a firm hand, so yesterday became a 500 calorie FD. Today will be busy, getting ready to leave tomorrow, so that bodes well for being a reasonable eating day.

@mariaelena You have my deep sympathies: we’ve been having 90+ degree days with 88% humidity, so I know exactly what you’re feeling. Ugh. I hope you get some good news, and am glad for you that at least you’ll have coolth to sleep.

@jaifaim You too are taken aback by your scale! I hope your solution is as fast as mine was.

@songbirdme I’ll bet the kids adore being able to play that organ in the museum!

@penz Actually, at the church council meeting last night, it was agreed to “rent” the organ for the hymn fest, so I’m thrilled! Actually buying a new organ will have to wait until the pricey steeple repair happens and is paid for, but the congregation does a really good job of donating for needed things, so I don’t imagine it will take a long time. And weaving “Happy Birthday” into a hymn? Wow. Just wow. I consider myself a decent organist, but that’s a skill far beyond my own, LOL! What a fun memory for you to pull out and enjoy every now and again!

@linda.b I too hope it’s not that-which-will-not-be-said, and hope you feel far better in the morning!

@i-hate-lettuce Welcome back! Have fun on your trip! ๐Ÿ˜

@suresh3101 Welcome back! I know well the sorrow of gaining back the weight taken off: in 2015 I got down from 165 to 136–and in 2020, I began again the same journey. I’m taking way longer this time to get down–partly from too little discipline–but figure that the time spent on the journey is teaching me to maintain, so now that I’m in the 140s, it doesn’t feel as desperate to lose weight. We’ll all gladly get to know you and cheer you on as you take the journey again.

Okay, it’s been a joy to chatter, but I really must get busy on that long, long to-do list. Have a grand one, everyone!

My personal themes for May:

โ€œWe must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.โ€ ~ Jim Rohn

โ€œYou are far too smart to be the only thing standing in your way.โ€

Day 11 – FD 800

Again with the waking up to think my fast days are behind me for the week only to remember, no it is Wednesday not Thursday. Argh.

@suresh3101 and @stitchincarol add me to that regained list. Actually in 2016 I ballooned to 194lb. 5:2 and other interventions got me down to 142 but lost the thread during the pandemic precautions and saw 176 on the scale in August last year. 5:2 and consistent exercise has brought me down to 133 and I am resolved not to lose the thread again. I found 5:2 much easier on this restart so hope it works well for you @suresh3101.

A pricey fix, but better than a full air conditioner replacement has been implemented. Guess this loaner phone is permanent (ugh) because all our phone savings went to the air conditioning fix. So Iโ€™m a tad irked underneath my relief and thankfulness.

I did not exercise yesterday- I just couldnโ€™t face the heat and humidity. My watch complained and nagged me all day, lol. Now it is telling me my streak has ended. Nothing like being shamed by technology ๐Ÿค”

@5413.5
    @northgeorgia
    @mariaelena

Day 11 USA (Illinois) NFD

Yesterday’s FD went very well. DH is even getting used to not eating much either on my FD’s, but he still consumes far too much sugar for my sensibilities.

Didn’t get to Silver Sneakers this a.m. as a field trip of pre-schoolers came to the Children’s Museum. Teachers and kiddos all like getting out of the classroom come May, so there are quite a few trips planned yet, and we have had several.

@suresh3101 – nice to have you back to join us! Exactly your situation is what I have been trying to avoid: gaining back what I lost. Wow, it is not easy to maintain, though, but not quite as hard as the first loss. I am confident you will get the 5:2 mojo back again and be on your way to losing the pounds.

@stitchincarol – how great you get the new Allen for your Ascension Day Hymn Fest! I have a feeling you will be able to show off its bells and whistles for the congregation to hear. And want you to have. For good. Oh,but I do understand steeple repairs….

@mariaelena – this time of year lots of air conditioner issues pop up, don’t they? We are setting records here in NW Illinois (91′ both yesterday and today) and we actually broke down and turned on the air when the kitchen reached 85′ – far too hot for inside. Sorry the temp phone will have to suffice for a while.

@northgeorgia – hugs to you for your persistence!

Must get supper here. Onward and downward.

Day 11 – Ireland – FD โœ… ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿšถ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

Just getting on to postโ€ฆ super busy day but thatโ€™s okโ€ฆ
    My planned FD was not actually a real FD but I was carefulโ€ฆ so will leave the FD up there but no need to go on list as the day is nearly done hereโ€ฆ.
    Scales looked far more normal today but still up from my ATL โ€ฆ recently spotted again at start of month but just a fleeting glance ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚โ€ฆ.

Onward and downward โฌ‡๏ธ
    We rise by lifting others ๐Ÿ’•

Day 11 Ohio, US — MFD
    Day 10 — NFD

Yesterday I tried out a new allergy medicine the doctor recommended and it really wiped me out, so I wasn’t able to post. Since I have more medical visits coming up both Thursday and Friday, based on past recent experience, it seems like a good idea to fast today rather than on the usual Thursday.

@mariaelena Someone told me, tongue in cheek, that the 19 in Covid 19 stands for how many pounds people put on during the pandemic. (Guess that doesn’t work in the metric system.) Well, I almost made it to that level, but am now only 10 lbs (4.5 kg) over where I was before the pandemic. Unfortunately the weight loss has been quite slow recently. Not sure why.

@stitchincarol A new organ will be great fun! An amazing example of weaving songs into a musical piece is Michael Allen Harrison’s perfomance of Pachelbel’s Canon in D. Here’s the URL for a YouTube video with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5XDw6XZe18

It’s a lot of fun!

@ihatelettuce Wow! A trip to the Highlands of Scotland! Will you be camping and hiking?

@linda.b Hope you get to feeling fine again really fast!

@5413.5
    @northgeorgia
    @mariaelena
    @matpi

Day 12, FD, Aus

Might be a CD as I’m sooo hungry! Have not yet got my LFD mojo back but at least my mindset is in the right place.

Lots of good news to read: new organ, fixed air con. All good!

Day 12 – Ireland ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช – NFD

Cannot do the Thursday FD as Thai food being brought in for lunch in work as one of the team is leaving….I have Thai chicken and rice ordered so see how we go.

2nd last day in work and to say excitement is building for the holiday….two whole years without leaving on a jet plane so I am excited (first world issues I know, but I guess we are so used to popping on a plane and finding yourself in France or Italy or Spain etc in a couple of hours…I have missed this โ˜บ๏ธ)

Have a great Thursday. And welcome back @suresh3101. I do remember you, is it really 3 years? I have been here since 2017, list 30lbs, regained a lot of that during lockdown, striving to lose it again. Hey ho ๐Ÿ‘

Day 12 – Lake district UK – FD

Good morning everyone

Going to stick with my Thursday FD today, Monday was aborted so did Tuesday instead, creature of habit, knowing if I crash and burn on a FD it is better to simply do it the following day. Been busy since we got home catching up with jobs, our friends are away for the month, so did both theirs and our gardens before we went away, now having to do them before we go again otherwise we’d come back to a hay meadow!

@matpi – camping and hiking !?! Mrs I-h-l does not do camping or as I call it loitering with in tent ๐Ÿ˜‰
    We are of an age where we prefer our comforts these days and Mrs I-h-l prefers the stars to be of the 5 star variety as often as possible. Although we often go out of a night-time and gaze at the celestial versions regularly as we live in a low light pollution area.
    As for hiking, yes, we still hike, especially in the Cairngorms where we can walk for miles along the remote glens, admiring the views and not have to spent too much time either gaining or losing altitude, (that way we can often do 10 or 12 miles during the day) we know our limitations and occasionally have an outbreak of sticking to them! … either that or afterwards the knees and hips remind us not be so stupid and we’ve overdone it. Anno domini has a habit of reminding you occasionally that you have a lot of candles on the cake these days.

Take care all

Pocket list Thursday day 12
    @i-hate-lettuce

Day 12 – Ireland – NFD โœ… ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿšถ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

Hello everybody! I hope you are all well

Iโ€™m off to France later today so will say ร  bientรดt and hope for some control over the next weekโ€ฆ I wonโ€™t expect to get a FD or even a CD in but will try to make wise choices.
    Very much looking forward to catching up on with everyone over there and have very little planned other than restaurants so that doesnโ€™t bode well does it? ๐Ÿ˜‚ Everything else will just be a case of going with the flowโ€ฆand hoping to get some exercise – Iโ€™m sure I willโ€ฆ boots packed ๐Ÿฅพ๐Ÿคž

Welcome back @suresh3101 ๐Ÿ‘ you know you can do thisโ€ฆ

@daffodil2010 have a fabulous trip! And all the best to all the gang ๐Ÿ‘

Onward and downward โฌ‡๏ธ
    We rise by lifting others ๐Ÿ’•

Day 12 FD
    Maintaining weight- 90.9
    Got to 5pm yesterday and eat a lot!!
    Still, not gained! Managed 5k run.
    So, I will not eat prior to devouring circa 700k tonight at 5pm and see what happens ๐Ÿ˜€
    Thanks this forum – 1st time doing this and it is very supportive
    Keep on keeping on everyone !! ๐Ÿ™

Day 12 – South Africa ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ – NFD

I didn’t sleep so well & can’t get my fasting head on today, so I’ll wait until tomorrow.

@i-hate-lettuce – ‘loitering within tent’ – that’s hilarious ๐Ÿ˜‚

@suresh3101 – welcome back! I remember you too. Is the missus still force-feeding you rice? ๐Ÿ˜…

@jaifaim & @daffodil2010 – enjoy your trips โœˆ๏ธ

@at – please could you take a look at the spreadsheet? It looks like virtually everything has been deleted?! ๐Ÿ˜ณ

“Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.” ~ Zig Ziglar

Pocket List – Day 12 ๐Ÿ
    @penz
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @5413.5

Day 12 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 212 lbs and holding on to water lol. So close to 211 this morning, but alas. Like @funshipfreddie, not a lot of sleep overnight, so I’m sure that affected things this morning. That 218 weigh-in earlier in the week made me average out slightly higher over this time period last week. My 10-day average is still 1/2 – 1 lb higher than it was compared to last month’s plateau, but it is slowly headed down back to that level. I’m 3 lbs above my all-time low trend from mid-March. So, I think it may take some time to get back on track. But, sure and steady we go. Gotta watch my NFDs like this. Good luck to all!

Day 12 – UK – FD800
    Day 10-11 – NFD

Life has been very busy of late – I seem to have missed posting for the last couple of days! Great that these challenges have so many stalwarts that keep them going…..Thank you all for your posts ๐Ÿ™

My Day 9 FD800 went well so aiming for another one today ๐Ÿคž

Today’s exercise was a 9am Aerobics class and I have a 6pm Pilates class to finish the day – decided to try a FD800 OMAD at lunch time today and then fasting until tomorrow’s evening OMAD TDEE day! May toss in another FD800 on Saturday before I head off to Scotland on Sunday for the week…..

@jaifaim – your trip to France sounds fab – hopefully with that in mind it helped to keep you focused this week! Now go and enjoy yourself with no guilt – see you on your return
    @matpi – hope you are recovering from your recent painful medical visit
    @penz – although I have never owned a dog myself – I now find myself looking forward to my dog walks with my DD – some members of our Tues/Fri walking group also bring their dogs along so I certainly get my “dog fix” each week!!!!
    @linda.b – whenever I see your posts starting with “FUN DAY โ€“ FD ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป” it makes me smile – what a great way of looking at a FD ๐Ÿ˜Š
    @5413.5 – good job on the weigh loss
    @i-hate-lettuce – sounds like you and Mrs IHL have been busy and are having a great time with your travels – enjoy Scotland – I’m heading up there on Sunday too but only as far as near Pitlochry
    @suresh3101 – welcome back to the monthly challenges – I remember you too from Oct 2019?? you know what to do and by joining us here on line and posting daily is a great motivator and seems to hold us accountable too – we have got your back!
    @funshipfreddie – not sure what has happened with the spreadsheet – it appears that someone has gone in and deleted everything – there seemed to be some new names added to the spreadsheet of individuals who have not joined the challenge as such??? not really sure what happened but luckily I have been able to restore it to the one from May 11th at 0855hrs – here is a link that hopefully works:-

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1McX4S6d0XSYz_LlonEeSm4G8Fbj42K3moA1jJ0c0faE/edit?usp=sharing

I need to take myself in hand for the 2nd half of this challenge and lose those few lbs that have crept back on – I have not dared to step on the scales but I know that I need to lose some to be back within my maintenance range by my birthday next month ……

“Now and then it’s good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.” – Guillaume Apollinaire

Day 12 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD500

I’m racing to finish up everything so we can drive away and head to Indiana (10+ hours away) right at one o’clock when I’m done with work, and hopefully I’ll be able to read posts then, but if I don’t post again until next Tuesday, you’ll know where I am.

Have a grand one, everyone!

Pocket List โ€“ Day 12 ๐Ÿ
    @penz
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @5413.5
    @at FD800
    @stitchincarol

Day 12 – 16:8 CD

Yesterday turned into a WF day. I was busy all day, and when evening crept up on me I realized I just really was not hungry at all. So it was decision time. Roast some veggies and prepare some chicken broth or just do a WF day.

I have not done a WF since December, and decided it is good to do so occasionally even if Iโ€™m not actively needing the weight loss. And I really had little appetite and was quite lazy feeling – mucking about in the kitchen was just not what I wanted to do. So I listened to my body (โ€˜eh, not really hungryโ€™) and did not eat just out of habit or boredom.

Iโ€™m pleased with the decision but also decided to actively limit WF days to about 4 a year unless I am needing weight loss again (fingers crossed on my finally wrapping my head around maintenance- I donโ€™t want to regain the weight).

Went into HappyScale app yesterday and noted I am 64lb down from my heaviest weight in 2016. That is close to 1/3 heavier and almost unimaginable. At that, no one would call me skinny – but no one would call me overweight either.

Donโ€™t really have a point here, just reaffirming I need to keep focused on healthy eating and exercise. And that everyone here has been invaluable for keeping me on track. I truly value this forum, and thank you all.

So many folks are traveling! How fun, enjoy all! And sending strong thoughts to the pocketlisters today!

Day 12 USA (Illinois) NFD

Our NW corner of Illinois often goes from winter to summer, and that is what has happened. The record setting 90’s of the past few days may abate tomorrow with a good storm coming through. (That’s 32 C. and up is what we have had.)

@stitchincarol – have a great trip over to Indiana! I expect you’re taking I-80 so I will wave that way as you pass to our south. Enjoy yourselves!

@mariaelena – down 64 pounds is amazing!! Congrats on your great progress!!

Onward and downward.

Day 13, NFD, Aus

Thanks again for putting me on the pocket list for yesterday – I really needed it. Nearly wavered last night, but reminded myself I could have what I like today and that if I blew of the FD I would not like myself in the morning. So, PFDS today! Which really is the best feeling. That and I had a good solid night’s sleep which is a rarity these days.

Wow, @mariaelena – you are an inspiration. And well done for listening to your body and doing a WFD. That’s something (listening for – and then respecting! – what my body tells me)

@at – sometimes, as I look down at the dog hair stuck to my stockings, I thing NOT having my own dog, but enjoying walking others’, would be the way to go! ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy travels for those on the road / in the air and have a great weekend everyone.

Day 13 โ€“ Gold Coast Queensland Australia โ€“ NFD

Hellooooo everyone!๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜

Missed yesterday’s post but, for accountability, it was a FUN DAY (FD)… ๐Ÿฅฆ๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ„๐Ÿ…
    I felt much better yesterday after the day before having a headache. Headaches are very unusual for me so I was concerned about you know what. However, the headache went away in the early evening about the time the neighbour’s treeloppers left after an entire day of treelopping with chain saws and that awful muncher thingy that was parked right outside my office!๐Ÿ˜ฃ๐Ÿ˜ฃ So LOUD! So diagnosis? Stress! It was virtually impossible to concentrate on work and phone calls with that racket. Thankfully not C…D though!

Yesterday brought more work interruptions when my internet failed. Stress levels rising again! It has taken till lunch time today for the provider to fix same. But now it appears to be working which is critical as I have scheduled to catch up on my caseload over the weekend. It’s always a worry when things go wrong on a Friday and you just know that you won’t be able to get things fixed on the weekend. Its’s all to do with this incessant rain, apparently there is moisture in the ‘pit’ on the street. Fingers crossed they’ve actually fixed it๐Ÿคž

So many of you going on trips and far-flung holidays ….. I’m so excited for you and I’ll absolutely be vicariously sharing your holiday adventures ๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽˆ We want to hear all about your adventures.

@i-hate-lettuce โ€“ โ€˜loitering within tentโ€™ – I’m still giggling at that!
    @mariaelena you are the poster gal! You inspire us all showing us proof that it is do-able!

Everyone have fun on your holidays and the rest of us will hold the fort until your return!

cheerie dearies

So poco a poco…. on we go!

Day 12 Ohio, US — NFD

A surprisingly good day. The doctor’s visit today did require some comfort food afterwards, but I was able to keep it under control. So three candy bars for afternoon tea, and then instead of trying to skip supper, a very light repast kept the two meals to about the same number of calories as those two meals would ordinarily provide.

@mariaelena You are an inspiration! Not only for the great achievement of the weight loss, but also for listening to your body! Bravo!

@stitchincarol Have a great trip! I’ve lived in both southern and northern Indiana (at different times!) and IMHO this time of spring is one of the best times throughout the state. Enjoy!

@at The two medical visits this week, weren’t supposed to be painful. Ha! I went in on Monday because I couldn’t get my Eustachian tubes to open. The doctor decided it was allergies and gave me some prescriptions to follow. But while he was poking around my ears, he discovered a bit of wax in my right ear and decided to take it out. His nurse worked for about half an hour (not joking!) with pumping water mixed with hydrogen peroxide into the ear with a syringe. To no avail. So the doctor came in and pumped more water into the ear for another ten minutes, again to no avail. But by the end of all that, my inner ear hurt like the dickens and I was nauseous and very dizzy. Today I went back for a return match, and this time after about half an hour they got enough of the wax out that they felt successful and sent me home. Apparently still some of that wax is there, and also a lot of inner ear pain. But the nausea and dizziness weren’t so bad. In a week or so, I’ll use a home ear-wax removal kit and and take care of the rest of the wax. At least i know how to do it without wiping myself out with the side effects.

Hope everyone has a great end of the work week and/or great weekend adventures!

Day 13, Germany, NFD
    Day 12 NFD
    Day 11 NFD

We’re at home again after visiting the exhibition on plagues in a beautiful old town, Hildesheim.

@suresh3101 Welcome back, I remember you from a while back!

@matpi What a terrible experience!

Happy holidays for all the ones travelling!

Day 13 – Ireland ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช – NFD

Last day in work and then holidays, yay. And yay that I have also lost 3lbs since last week, so something is working and maybe it’s the ACV in hot water in the morning…but whatever, I am a happy bunny today.

@matpi oh my you poor thing, that sounds awful, hopefully on the mend now b

Got to run, want to finish work on time today and then relax. Already checked into my flight and seat allocated so the anticipation is exciting.

Day 13 – Packed and ready – NFD

Good morning everyone

Despite being away last week and overindulging slightly, my 2 FD’s have kept me where I was, happy to be able to maintain where I am and feel in control with this 5:2 WOL. Off again and will pop in when I can, but t’internet connections aren’t quite as good as home.

@matpi – After radiotherapy I also had problems with blocked Eustachian tubes, in fact went completely deaf in my right ear, took some time but specialist sorted me eventually. Unpleasant and uncomfortable for a while, but got there in the end, stick with it.

The local Ospreys eggs should hopefully have hatched by the time we return, been looking in every day and she has hardly strayed from the nest!

Take care all

Day 13 uK
    Hi all
    Small gain 91.15 kg – cooking for family at the end of a day of fasting IS difficult as it results in inevitable scoffing extra bits!!
    Ok – so I am happy though with progress ๐Ÿ˜Š
    I have a 5 k run tonight
    Really enjoying extending the fast thru lunch but aware Iโ€™m super hungry by 5pm
    Perhaps I should eat earlier
    Any suggestions / encouragement gratefully received
    Thanks ๐Ÿ™

Day 13 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 213 lbs. Amazing only about a pound gain after yesterday. Doing a ZBC today. Might do a FD tomorrow, but I’ve done two this week, and I’m getting back into the 5:2 mindset because better discipline on NFDs is in order and I might need a bit of a metabolic reset anyway. Might try doing more ZBCs on my NFDs and drop my FDs back to two a week. We’ll see ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck to all. TGIF!!!

Day 13 – South Africa ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ – FD

Late logging in today. I had a guy here this morning cutting my granite counter to fit a new stove top. What a mess?! Dust for Africa ๐Ÿ˜ณ

@penz – well done for persevering! ๐Ÿ†

@5413.5 – I don’t eat until 6 or 7 pm on FDs. But some people have two or more smaller meals. You just have to figure out what works for you. But you seems to be fasting every day? Which I wouldn’t recommend, unless you were really desperate to lose weight quickly or e.g. trying to reverse diabetes. I personally wouldn’t do more than 3 FDs per week. But maybe you could try alternate day fasting? And then on the other days try to stick to your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). If you click on resources & then BMI calculator there’s info on there to calculate your BMR & TDEE etc.

@at – thanks for fixing the spreadsheet ๐Ÿ™

Bon voyage to the people travelling this weekend & happy Fri-yay! ๐Ÿท

Pocket List -Day 13 ๐Ÿ‡
    @funshipfreddie

Day 13 – NFD

My brother is coming into the area for a vacation with friends and he and his wife will be joining us for lunch, so a mindful eating day, but open for reasonable amounts of whatever. Need to pick a restaurant with good choices and outdoor seating – that will be the trick.

@matpi OW! Had some Eustachian tube troubles when a young adult and thankfully not since. Glad you seem to be on the mend.

@songbirdme, @penz, @matpi, @linda.b (hope I didnโ€™t miss anyone) aw shucks, Iโ€™m blushing โ˜บ๏ธ. Thank you! There have been regains and โ€˜off the wagonโ€™ times but maybe Iโ€™ve got it straight finally. I must say, the friendly support and accountability of posting my progress here daily has been invaluable and made this weight loss push so much better. Incorporating a fasting schedule to my eating is mostly seen as extreme and unwise by people in my โ€˜real lifeโ€™ and that is not the mindset I need. So much societal and common โ€˜wisdomโ€™ around diet and nutrition is such utter bunk and I got a lot of โ€˜fad diet warningsโ€™ that were not at all helpful. And the discussions and links folks share here are brilliant!!

@funshipfreddie – I have heard granite top installation is a dusty job. Dusting, that is my least favourite cleaning task. I wish you luck and efficiency!

@5413.5 I echo the question, how often are you fasting? That would form a basis for any suggestion I might offer. My experience at the beginning when I restarted 5:2 in August was similar- I was So hungry by 5:pm but after a few weeks that lessened significantly. And it helped me understand how to differentiate between true hunger and appetite- and that helped me on the NFD to limit โ€˜appetite feedingโ€™ But if Iโ€™ve learned anything from the board, every individual responds differently and different things work or โ€˜clickโ€™ for them. One suggestion is universal tho- drink plenty of water (or non cal substitutes like ice tea, coffee etc.). Add a pinch of salt for electrolytes might help too. Keep posting here and asking these questions for others suggestions is the best thing – we are all here for each other!

Ok, got to do a house clean. It isnโ€™t so bad, but my brother has never visited before so I want to make it he clutter disappear and that Kitchen floor is ghastly!

Happy Friday to everyone.

USA. Day 13. FD

Pocket List -Day 13 ๐Ÿ‡
    @funshipfreddie
    @ccco

Have a great day!

Day 14 โ€“ Saturdayโ€“ Gold Coast Queensland Australia โ€“ NFD ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒธ

Good morning gals and pals

The rain continues.๐ŸŒง Woke up with trepidation in my heart this morning before turning on the computer.
    Would I have internet or not?
    By virtue of the fact that I am posting, the answer is YES. Yaay!! The internet fairy is with us today๐Ÿงšโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿงšโ€โ™€๏ธ. For now at least, there will be work accomplished.

This incessant rain continues unabated and predicted to continue for at least another full week. This is the third flood event this year.๐Ÿฆ†๐Ÿฆ†๐Ÿฆ†๐Ÿฆ† The media keep proclaiming that this is a ‘one in one hundred year event’ but this is the third ‘one in a hundred year event’ this year! Flooding everywhere as the ground is just so saturated.
    Lucky for me, although on the lake, I’m above the flood line.
    The sad thing, the very sad thing is in the mornings listening to the news and hearing the ‘count’of rescues and deaths of people who, despite every loud and clear warning, foolishly drive across flooded creeks. “If it’s flooded, forget it” the warnings on tv, radio, papers, road signs trumpet everywhere ….. but they still do. Why, oh why? Then the rescue crews risk their own lives to enter swollen, flooded creeks, rivers to try to save them.
    Well, I’m staying home! I’m not going anywhere in this deluge.
    Because of the rain, I’m not out walking ๐Ÿšถโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿšถโ€โ™€๏ธ which may be the explanation that I am stuck on this plateau with @northgeorgia. Despite my best culinary efforts and not giving in to temptations, the scales just aren’t moving. I’m FDing twice a week and definitely keeping my NFDs under control. So exercise is the only element that is missing at the moment.
    So nearly at the mid-month and reading all your posts for inspiration to keep the course!
    Rambling (musing?) on a bit here, but everyone enjoy your weekend and hope you have sunny skies where you are!๐ŸŒžโ˜€๐ŸŒž
    cheerie dearies

From the Little Engine that Could ๐Ÿš‚๐Ÿš‚๐Ÿš‚
    I think I can, I think I can-
    I think I can, I think I can, I think I have a plan
    And I can do โ€˜most anything if I only think I can

Day 14, Germany, FD

Pocket list – Day 14
    @snowflake56

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 14 – Ireland ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช – NFD

Last day to post, off to Andalucia and won’t be back until 25th, have a great time everyone ๐Ÿ’ƒ

Day 14 – South Africa ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ – NFD

@ccco – I was delighted to see you on the list with me yesterday. I spotted you at 6:30 pm after all I’d eaten was an apple & a raw carrot, & I was starting to imagine how my cat might taste between two slices of bread
    ๐Ÿ˜…

@mariaelena – I really don’t mind dusting, under ‘normal’ circumstances. Virtually everyone I know has a domestic worker once or twice a week, but I prefer to do it myself. But yesterday?! I thought the kitchen was sorted, but then I opened the cutlery drawer and… it looked like it had been snowing in there ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธ

@linda.b – I hope you have a reprieve from that awful weather – & the plateau – soon!

Have a good weekend y’all โ›…๏ธ ๐ŸŒˆ

“If you think you can do it, you can” ~ John Burroughs

Day14 uk
    Thanks for the advice – I will follow it

5k went well-
    And lost- now
    Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š

2 post
    Hi again
    My TDEE is 2744
    So – what do you think I should eat on a FD?
    ๐Ÿคจ

Day 14 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 214 lbs. Doing ZBC this morning and taking quick stock of where I am. A little long post, so my apologies. Things have not really gone how I had hoped in the past couple of months. I gained a pound this week over last, and my 10-day average is running about 3 lbs higher than it was two months ago. Of course, perspective! It’s a little silly to be worried about what averages to no more than 3 lbs, but I am trying to reverse that trend as best as I can.

So, what happened, I must ask myself? I haven’t done anything substantially different in my fasting all year long, so it can’t be the FDs. Well, then, it’s the NFDs! I must force myself to behave better. Of course, there are special occasions and unique meals and treats, but eating or drinking junk every time I’m not fasting isn’t wise. “But I’m not doing that every time,” I hear myself say. Ah, but you are. No, you’re not eating a big bag of chips on the couch in a sitting — you don’t even have a bag of chips in the house, I tell myself. But, a little fast food meal at work on Thursday, a bowl of sugary cereal hours after a meal on Friday, a Pepsi with some leftover tortilla chips and fries as a snack over at my parents’ house “just because someone should eat that”… well, after weeks of that kind of attitude, those little exceptions become the rule rather than the exception! What am I eating that’s actually decent?

So, I have multiple areas to address. I have to stop the lawlessness on NFDs, and ironically, I believe a good way to do that is to tell myself it’s OK to “just” have two FDs a week instead of three. It’s OK to have several NFDs in a row. My last FD was on Wednesday, and I’m not really able or willing to fast again until Tuesday. And honestly, it’s a bit scary for me to wait almost a week to restart! But I can do Tuesday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday next week and be fine. That’s the point of 5:2! My problem isn’t fasting, it’s what happens when I’m NOT fasting! I think alternating 3 FD weeks with 2 FD weeks when practical makes sense. It should reset my metabolism, and help me resist binge urges on NFDs, which are growing stronger. A worrying trend I’ve seen over the past couple of months is that on NFDs, it’s getting harder for my body to signal it’s full. I think this might be the psychological result of feeling “denied” too often and so I end up shoveling more in for reserves. Which leads me to the other area: on NFDs, I need to get back to that Fung mindset. Empty carbs are just that, and will leave me hungrier than when I first opened my mouth. More vegetables, fiber, water, proteins, and healthy fats in a nice home prepared meal should help me feel more satisfied. And I should be eating at meal times, not snacking. I think doing ZBC every day for a while ought to help me get insulin responses and body signals a little more under control. And just as junk accumulates on your household surfaces when you’re not paying attention, I find the same can happen with diet. I’m happy to say the last cereal box was emptied last night, and I have no plans to refill it. It had become another empty calorie crutch and was wrecking havoc on me.

I also forgot that during this past week (May 10), I celebrated my 2nd anniversary on the 5:2!

(Highest recorded weight, 1/21/20: 279 lbs.)
    5/10/22: 269 lbs.
    5/10/21: 227 lbs.
    (Lowest recorded weight, 3/8/22: 207 lbs.)
    5/10/22: 213 lbs.

So, I’m still on my resolve to get below 200 lbs this year. I’m not far away now, but I just have to get back on track and off the plateau. Whether it’s 40 lbs I drop in a year or 15, it’s working and an easy lifestyle to adopt for better health. Let’s all be encouraged for the second half of the month! Good luck to all.

Day 14 – 16:8 CD

Had a delicious, but outside the healthy eating parameters unfortunately, meal with bro & his wife. The result was an uncomfortably heavy stomach all evening, so Iโ€™m pretty sure I wonโ€™t be doing that again soon.

While I certainly donโ€™t want to eat into a uncomfortable stomach again, I am having trouble mentally accepting that it is ok on maintenance to enjoy an indulgent special meal from time to time. Sigh. I do have much mental work to do.

In that vein, today will be a normal day. A regular 16:8 CD as if yesterday had been normal too. No extra fasting to โ€˜make up for yesterdayโ€™ just go about my normally scheduled exercise and eating. Refocus and calm my mind about what I want to be the way I can occasionally eat going forward. Nothing here that requires a mindset of shame, just be on track today.

Happy Saturday to all! Hope everyone is enjoying a nice weekend, and hope the sun ๐ŸŒž comes out soon, @linda.b

Day 15 AUS FD/FD800

Hi all, I’m new to this thread and challenge! 52F, with perimenopausal and pandemic pounds to shift. I reckon I’ve crept up over 10 lbs over the last two years and cannot afford to replace all my clothes! (Also, I like my clothes, and want to get back in to them.)

I’ve been needing to take myself in hand in for a while, but now am sick in bed with covid – avoided it this long, but it found me during this big wave in Oz – and am just fed up with myself and my health.

I haven’t tried fasting before, and 500 cals sounds low!, but at this point I’m ready to try something new.

So I’m in for this challenge. Not ready to actually face the scales, but will as soon as I get a few FDs under my belt.

Day 15 โ€“ Sunday – Gold Coast Queensland Australia โ€“ (NFD) ๐ŸŒง๐ŸŒง๐ŸŒง๐ŸŒงโ˜‚โ˜‚โ˜‚โ˜‚๐Ÿ’ง๐Ÿ’ง๐Ÿ’ง

Another Aussie…. welcome @ariel_22๐Ÿฆ˜๐Ÿฆ˜ and also welcome to @5413.5 from UK.

@5413.5 you ask what to eat on a FD. The great thing about THE FAST DIET is there is no set menu to follow. Everyone here approaches their FD in their own individual way. I can only share my routine. I’m doing the 5:2, 500 calorie FD approach. I started my mission on 1st February to lose overall 10-11 kg by Easter but didn’t quite make it. Iโ€™ve now lost 7.6 kg, so getting close but find the closer I get the harder it gets ie plateau ๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿ˜ต. Plateaus are frustrating as @northgeorgia will also attest!
    I am following 5:2 Mondays & Thursdays and am rigidly keeping to my plan. Iโ€™ve actually done the 5:2 in 2019 and successfully lost 11 kg in 11 weeks … but let it creep back on. Importantly, I know it works as it did before, so will work again.
    So what do I eat on FD (my FUN DAYS๐Ÿ˜‹)? … good stuff! You need to know that I’m an eater… I cannot go without meals, I cannot go hungry and I must eat REAL food (those meal replacement shakes will never be for me.. yuk!) The bottom line is I LIKE food and I LIKE eating which makes 5:2 the ideal solution for me.
    On FUN DAYS (FDs) I eat filling vegetables, loads of them, stuff myself with them till I’m full! Especially, a lot of dark green veg but all veg, think broccoli, asparagus, tomato, avocado, Chinese cabbage (easier to cut), capsicum, carrots, shallots, brussel sprouts, spinach, kale, lettuce, English spinach, eggplant, zucchini, cucumber, beetroot etc etc and the star of the show is portabella mushrooms. Those large plate size mushrooms only have 20 cals and they’re yum and filling! Cooked al dente they taste and feel like eating steak. For one meal on the FD I’ll also eat a portion of protein eg salmon, chicken, sardines. I sometimes, only sometimes, spray a little (and I mean little) balsalmic and olive oil on my food instead of dressings. No point in sabotaging my efforts with calorie laden dressings!
    I work from home and I cook all these al dente veg in the microwave as I don’t have time to fiddle with stove top cooking for this stuff. In fact, a lot of the veg I actually eat raw because they taste so good and munching is so satisfying and satiating! I love the flavours of different veg and mix them around a bit so I don’t get bored or tired of particular combinations. I also drink 2 litres (equiv 8 large glasses) of water EVERY DAY, that is above and beyond, my numerous cups of tea as I work in the office. So, as I’m preparing a meal, I will down a glass or two of water and after I finish eating I will follow up with another glass of water. Yes, thank heavens I work from home so have a bathroom nearby!๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜œ
    The secret though, as everyone here will attest, is the NFD.
    After applying yourself to a FUN DAY (FD), I am mindful of what I eat on NFDs. Yes, I still eat LOADS of veg but add in extra protein at every meal which might be fish, chicken, sardines, lentils, quinoa etc.
    Oh, by the way, I have refrained from all alcohol until I reach my goal! A promise to myself, sort of a carrot and stick approach here! Turns out not as difficult as one would expect. At sunset, I fill up a wine glass with ice and water with a twist of lemon or lime and after about 6 weeks I didn’t miss the evening wine at all. When I go out I order the same in a wine glass and, funny thing, no-one has ever noticed! ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ˜„
    Also, walking….. when it’s not raining! ๐Ÿšถโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿšถโ€โ™€๏ธ
    So, @5413.5, that’s what I do, but it is not prescriptive as everyone has their own way.

@northgeorgia…. I read your posts and hear your frustration! You are right, though, it is about the NFDs. You’ve lost so much! 72lbs is an amazing achievement. Here’s a medal and trophy for you! ๐Ÿฅ‡๐Ÿ† You are awesome and you’ve come so far, so don’t lose your way with this. It’s good to pause and think about what you’re doing and making positive changes to not-so-good habits.
    I have read when the lesson you are struggling with keeps coming back, stop. It is not coming back to remind you that you have failed. It is not coming back to make you work harder. It is coming back to invite you to let yourself off the hook and try something new. It is coming back to allow you to get curious about what you have learned so far and to look at things just a little bit differently. And this is what you are doing in your post…. you are evaluating what has worked and what doesn’t. You’ve got this! The NFD is the key for you. ๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒž

Wow, that was a big post, better go now and see you all tomorrow for another FUN DAY (FD).

I think I can, I think I can-
    I think I can, I think I can, I think I have a plan
    And I can do ‘most anything if I only think I can ๐Ÿš‚๐Ÿš‚๐Ÿš‚๐Ÿš‚ (you can too @northgeorgia, @5413.5,@Ariel_22)

@mariaelena you are such a lovely example of WOL on maintenance ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ your encouragement is wonderful

Day 15, Germany, CD

Yesterday’s FD didn’t go well, will try again tomorrow.

@ariel_22 Welcome!

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 15 – Highlands of Scotland, Northern Cairngorms – NFD

Good morning everyone

Fabulous start to our latest jaunt, we love the outdoors, nature and wildlife!
    Got off to a great start yesterday, excellent journey and called in at a village we used to visit regularly.
    Went for a walk by Loch Insh where we know of an Osprey nest, the loch was fabulous with views of the mountains behind. Stopped for a sit for a few minutes, could see the Osprey nest, within a few moments, a mewing, then the Osprey left the nest and spent a while soaring around before returning, magical.

Arrived at our cottage, lovely quiet place surrounded on 3 sides by silver birch woodland, to the rear fields leading up to the distant hills. The owner met us, we’re regular visitors. The bird feeders were loaded up and during the evening we had 12 different species call in, plus a rather large hare! Brilliant start.

Today, beautiful sunshine and later, a walk down to the river Spey, along the river, about 3 miles into the small town where we have booked Sunday lunch at the hotel (previously been excellent, but can only manage 2 courses) then a walk back for a relaxing afternoon.

I’ll be on a FD tomorrow being Monday, so pocket list me please if I don’t call in, connection is a bit slow here!

Take care all.

Day 15 โ€“ Sunday โ€“ Gold Coast Queensland Australia โ€“ (NFD)
    2nd post

@i hate lettuce – just checked your ospreys live cams. It is 8.00am there and she (?) is sleeping, nodding on and off. No chicks just yet.
    Your trip to Scotland is bringing back long-gone but very fond memories for me. It really is breathtakingly beautiful. I hope to go back there one day.

The USA bald eagles also sound asleep.

Day 15 – South Africa ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ – FD

@ariel_22 – welcome to 5:2 & this forum!

@5413.5 – your TDEE is 2744? That’s high, good for you! But you must be doing a lot of exercise? Great advice for you – & for all of us – from @linda.b re what to eat on FDs. I think eggs are an ideal food for FDs. I often have an omelette with a little cheese &/or tuna & plenty of veg. Also, if you haven’t already, you may want to check out the FAQs thread: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/michael-answers-frequently-asked-questions/

@i-hate-lettuce – have a lovely time, & you WILL be on that list tomorrow ๐Ÿ’ช

Pocket List – Day 15 ๐Ÿ“
    @ariel_22
    @funshipfreddie

Day 15 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 214 lbs. This is good! The ZBC and mindfulness is working. Now today, I have a feast — a family reunion. I have to cook and prepare (it starts in a couple of hours), and I think I’ll also put on a pot of chili for tonight/tomorrow to keep me away from nasty fast food and quick junk meals. I’ve never been lower than 214 lbs on a Sunday, and I was under half a pound from the 213 mark. Word of warning to myself, though. I was also 214 last week, then Monday morning weighed in at a whopping 218. I also took tomorrow off work, so I decided to delay my next FD until Tuesday. For that reason, I have to prepare some delicious, filling meals so that I can avoid the junk and the snacking.

@linda.b Thanks for the encouragement and a huge plate of mushrooms sounds delightful! I’ve got some ideas from your food list to add in next time I’m at the grocery store.

Day 16, NFD, Aus

We have such a busy week planned! Mon and Thurs are my usual FDs, but I think this week it will be Wed and maybe OMAD on Tues/Thurs to make up for it.

Welcome @ariel_22 – nice to have another Aussie on board.

Hate to rub it in, @linda-b but woke up in Canberra to beautiful blue clear skies – so nice to see after the week of rain we’ve been having (but fortunately not at the flood levels you poor Queenslanders have been suffering). Hope the clouds clear for you too.

Day 16 โ€“ Mondayโ€“ Gold Coast Queensland Australia โ€“ FUN DAY (FD)๐Ÿฅฆ๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ„๐Ÿ…

Well we’re into the second half of the month with, including today, 5 FUN DAYS (FDs) to the end of NURTURING MAY …..

Time, this year, is just speeding for me. I’ve my weigh day tomorrow but not terribly hopeful as I’m on the plateau and without my walking exercise, the scales just won’t budge albeit not going up at least! This incessant rain has put paid to any serious thoughts of exercising! But on the bright side, it’s not cold, in fact very warm and humid.

Busy working today. The best strategy for my FUN DAYS is to be busy!๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Onwards and downwards we go!

Pocket List โ€“ Day 16 ๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€ (so many on holidays, it’s a bit lonely on the pocket list!)
    @linda.b
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @snowflake56

Day 15 Ohio, US — NFD
    Day 14 — NFD
    Day 13 — NFD

Friday another doctor’s visit in the morning and then got together with friends at a Middle Eastern restaurant for three hours of good food and catching up. That part was great. Then came a major energy drain that wiped me out for the evening and most of the next day (hence why I didn’t log in on Friday and Saturday). Altogether on Friday and Saturday I slept about 14 hours. The only good news is that the weekly weigh-in showed no change from the week before. That might not sound like great news, but with not being able to exercise as much as usual, it was very good news.

Today has been fairly busy: Church in the morning and reading group in the afternoon. And also got the daily goal of 50 minutes of exercise in. So it’s been a good day.

@linda.b I’m with you on how important walking is for weight management. Fortunately I purchased an under-the-table elliptical and use that when the weather is inclement. You can get one without the bells and whistles, which really aren’t needed, very reasonably. It really helped with the long Zoom meetings last year. I could get a meeting in and a good work out at the same time, without anyone being the wiser.

@ihatelettuce Your cottage sounds phenomenal! Sounds as though you’re having a perfect stay in the Highlands!

@mariaelena Right on about dusting! They’ve been doing a lot of construction of new apartment buildings close by and the dust has been horrific! You can dust one day and the next everything is covered with a super fine grey dust. It even gets into the refrigerator!

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 396 total)

You must be logged in to reply.