November Small Group Accountability Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
November Small Group Accountability Challenge

This topic contains 245 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Karlanz 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 246 total)

• Jaybee78, not sure, to be honest. A bowl of porridge in the morning of FD worked ok for the three out of four FDs. It’s just the last one was a struggle. Will try to “investigate”.

NFDs for me until Wed. We are in Manchester for our anniversary and the German Christmas markets are on…

I think I might need three FDs before my weigh in πŸ˜€.

WillWorkforHealth – my stats are correct, if you (or others) think I shouldn’t be part of this forum then I’ll bow out. But I do find it very supportive. I work long hours 5 days a week and don’t do much physical exercise. I try to fast whilst at work (Monday to Friday) it just happened that I was able to do Saturday as well this week. I only eat an evening meal, but I do have coffee with milk through the day and lots of water. I honestly am not struggling with it, I’m not hungry, my biggest weakness would be boredom or feeling down. I have had a rough couple of years, I am quite overweight but now I feel that I want to do something for myself. I want to feel good about myself, I want to have more energy and look better. I turn 50 next year and I’ll become a granny (twice over). So I feel it’s a good time to make the effort and feel better about myself.
    I fasted today too.
    I think what I am doing is okay, I read about just eating one meal a day. But I welcome any advice.

@meon-dweller You are welcome whatever your fasting style and as long as you update. No unsolicited advice here as it is one of my biggest pet peeves. πŸ™‚ Just want to make sure I’ve recorded right. As you said you welcome any advice I’ll let others who might be more well versed chime in if they want to. I have recently found that one meal a day suits me as well.

Oh @men I’m so sorry! I’m so new at this I can’t imagine fasting that many days in a row, that’s amazing! I didn’t intend for you to feel unwelcome and I’m sorry for sticking my big foot in my mouth. You will be a good source of advice for us, I think 😊
    I hit a major mid afternoon downer, I think actually mostly from dehydration. The brain fog was stifling, so I ate a handful of carrots with boursin cheese and a small Halloween tootsie roll to get neurons firing again. I enjoyed a nice bowl of chili tonight, which was mostly vegetables and venison from a neighbors hunt) with a small piece of gluten free cornbread. I probably closed the day with closer to 700 calories but am OK with that, still figuring out the whole exercise thing.
    @tanchora, dumb question, is porridge the same as oatmeal?
    I don’t know if I’m fat adapted or not @WWFH, honestly. I’ve run with gels for a while anything over 3.5 miles, so I never really let my glycogen stores deplete. When they have and I’ve bonked it’s pretty unpleasant. I’m thinking it just takes time to get the body used to fueling through and by both energy sources.

Thank you, that’s okay J-Ray. This is the first time I have seriously done fasting too, I tried it back in the spring but couldn’t manage to sustain it – lots of personal things going on in my life didn’t help, but that’s just an excuse. This time I seem to have got into the ‘mind zone’ and (so far) I am managing fairly easily. I have lost some weight – though not as much as my son who is doing the Eight Week Blood Sugar Diet (also a Dr Michael Moseley plan) but I have gone down 2 – 3 notches on my belt, which makes me feel good. I seem to manage much better if I skip breakfast and lunch, which I find easy on work days, and I really am not hungry. I don’t think it would be so easy if I shared an office with other people though, watching other people eat or smelling their food isn’t helpful. I am trying to skip as much carbs as reasonable, very, very little bread, no pasta, very small amounts of rice if at all and I only have potato occasionally. I have started having half and half potato and sweet potato which I am really enjoying – sweet potato is supposed to be much better for you. I am not having any alcohol or fruit juice.
    I read about people fasting by only having an evening meal, so I guess it is an acceptable regime.

I went on Slimming World diet about 4 years ago and lost 4 stone, but 2 of those I managed to put back on so I probably have 3 stone (20kg) to lose . . the regime was easy at the time but I couldn’t fit it into my lifestyle permanently. So I am not as big as I have been, but I am not happy with how I am . . hence this November Challenge is a good way to get into the habit . .into a good habit, hopefully for life.

Interestingly, my son has reported sleeping better, feeling more alert mentally as well as more flexible and comfortable physically. Unfortunately I don’t always sleep well, but that’s because of lots of anxieties and concerns still hanging on personally. This should ease by the end of the year, when the final hurdle in my personal life should pass.

I seem to have rambled on.. sorry..

for the record . . . Nov 14 FD

Keep strong and remember only you can make these changes to improve your health and life .. we all have control of ourselves if nothing else.

Day 15 – nfd

Two week weigh in, 118.4 this morning after a hearty breakfast. I’m guessing part of the net loss is a. Its the day after fast and b. Uptick in running the past few weeks as well. That puts me at about 1.5 pounds lost over 2 weeks, just about right.

@meon love your approach to this being a habit change for life! It’s great that you are taking advantage of your circumstances to optimize what suits you best.

Carbs I have found are tricky, I know that I don’t need as much as the hus, but we do need some for essential organ function, particularly the thyroid for women. I think I did damage to mine a few years ago doing paleo while training for a triathlon. There is a great article by precisionnutrition.com on it, I’ll see if I can find it. Sometimes I feel and function best after a (rarely eaten) muffin lol. They are not the great evil. πŸ˜‰

Day 15 = NFD.
    Holding steady with 5:2. Today marks my 9th month on 5:2; I’m proud and amazed that I’ve been able to keep this up so consistently. Slow but steady results, not counting the yo-yo and plateau periods (when I eat mindfully but the scales ignore my efforts). So glad I found this approach. And all of you too.

Day 14 = NFD

πŸ™ I am just stuck in this pattern of sitting down for a carby reward at the end of the day. I have more stress than usual in my life and a lot of demands with a husband just out of surgery, and infant, and other things. Maybe I need to just stop thinking of it as a mistake and start planning for it in my day.

@micky42 I don’t think I got a day 13 for you. Sorry if I missed it.

Sad to report that my FD on Day 14 turned out to be NFD. Trying to fast today. Not sure if I am strong enough for that because we have Thanksgiving party at our office. So there will be a lot of food. πŸ™

Hi ladies..

Day 13 & 14 – NFD

I am feeling very low today.. stuck between 157.6 to 160 pounds since 25th October.. the weight is just not budging below 157.6 πŸ™ .. I have added exercise to my routine.. am more active but I want to see results now.. No inch loss also.. I am glad to hear good reports from you all.. and will hang in there and just wait to see results!!

WWFH.. I have seen that if I eat carb/sweet snacks late night (my office is from 7-12 in the evening), then it takes lot of effort to break that habit.. even eating just 1-2 days in a row at that time is bad for me.. and when I make up my mind and just control myself for one day, I feel less hungry the next day and don’t crave those snacks late in the night. It’s just a matter of controlling my cravings for a few hours.

Meon – hats off to you for doing one meal a day.. you are very brave!

Have a great day everyone!

Sorry WWFH – again wrong with my dates :)……

Day 13 – FD
    Day 14 & 15 – NFD

Thanks wwfh
    My goal was to get below 60kg by December
    Start weight is unknown right now, I stopped weighing about a month ago as I found it really counterproductive when actually my real goal is to comfortably fit one particular pair of pants regardless of what the scales say…currently 4cm away from my goal waist measurement.
    This month
    FD = 3, 7, 9, 14
    All others NFD
    Hopefully this is sufficient for the challenge

Sorry, WWFH, I thought I did a Day 13 entry.
    DAY 13 was a NFD. Nothing remarkable about it. Other than the fact that I managed stay on track that day too!
    Thanks for checking up on me.

Morning everybody. November 12-15 all NFDs.

Back from my short break in Manchester. I need to burn lots of calories as the result.

Today is FD for me. The same for Friday. I also hope to have a reasonable day tomorrow, something like a light NFD.

@j-ray, oatmeal is a type of porridge and the one I eat.

Had it this morning and I feel very satisfied so far. I think it is pretty filling. Also brought one of those Skinny Glorious soups. Half a pot is only 119 calories. Which is much better than eating yoghurts for lunch, I think. Will give it a go.

Finding today ok. My porridge kept me feeling good until lunch time. The soup is quite filling. I still have around 150 calories to play with in the evening.

All the best everybody.

Updated:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jqgcm2OO8W44Q9z-afDm7bPJTxnbn86FcXvUgKmg8Xw/edit?usp=sharing

@lany36 welcome! You’ve been added.
    @Righton please let us know if you are still participating.

Good luck everyone!

Shooting for a FD today, though have kids school parties and I don’t like to not enjoy party food in front of them (I don’t want to promote unhealthy relationships with food which I feel is a risk if they see me skip special meals). I just may eat 300 calories of pumpkin pie and a light dinner.

I ate ALLLL the Halloween candy, and ALLLL the chocolate yesterday. First and only Halloween binge which is not too bad. They say it’s better just to gorge once instead of spreading it out, right?

Good luck today all FD! Soldier on tanchora! I need to get myself some good soups, you inspired me!

Day 17 FD
    Busy work day today so that always helps
    HIIT session planned for lunch and hoping I don’t get hit by the excessive tiredness and fog brain that I had at the end of Mondays fast
    I read this quote the other day and I don’t think it was this thread so I thought I’d share as it resonates with me, especially on a fast day.

The elevator to success is out of order. You’ll have to use the stairs….one step at a time.

Day 16:FD. Didn’t exercise but did keep busy all day. Much much easier than Monday, even having half my calories in a sliver of pie. πŸ˜‚πŸ°

Day 16: FD.

Quite easy too. Was not even excited about today being NFD. I think I will stay in the light mode all day. I need to lose a lot to be on track. Manchester calories, please burn fast!!!

Day 17 FD
    Second post. Successful FD under my slowly shrinking belt today.
    Im thinking I’ll carry through until lunch tomorrow, I have an early start and it’s one less thing to fit into a rushed morning if I skip breakfast.
    Any thoughts on good lunch foods to break my fast with? I’m vegetarian and I’ve gotten stuck in the salad rut, I love a good salad but I’m bored and still want to make a good choice, so any inspiring suggestions greatly appreciated.

Morning everyone..

Nov 15 FD
    Nov 16 FD

My scales aren’t changing much which is disappointing, it doesn’t take much extra food (at the weekends) for them to go up but somehow it takes an awful lot for it to go down. However I am basically a ‘think positively’ kind of person and I have notched my belt up tighter (between 2 and 3 holes smaller on the same belt) and my waist feels smaller. I have taken some new measurements and it confirms this. So I think I just need to keep my head down and keep going.

Lany36 – have you tried some of the recipes in the 5:2 book? Are you able to ‘cook’ at lunch time? There are many vegetarian ones there and look online too, loads of ideas for a fasting diet. Eggs are always a good option.

Wishing everyone strength and focus for today . . .

Day 16 = NFD.
    Day 17 = FD.
    YES, Meon — strength and focus. And a long-haul perspective. Yo-yo I hate you.
    πŸ˜‰

Updated:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jqgcm2OO8W44Q9z-afDm7bPJTxnbn86FcXvUgKmg8Xw/edit?usp=sharing

Friendly reminder – please feel free to post about progress as often as you like but only report your FD or NFD one time and after you have completed the day. I’m getting a bit confused! πŸ™‚

Day 16 = NFD

Meon the belt is way more satisfying than the scale, I think! My NFD yesterday went alright. I’ve been a bit down but I found some comfort in something other than carbs (I found comfort in carbs too) and I am already feeling better today and remembering to reach out to friends instead of the cupboard. I feel that spark coming back a bit and with it the ability to make better choices.

Have a great day all!

Day 17: NFD

@lany36, plain Greek yogurt and berries?tomato soup or veggie stew? I have found breaking my fast with too much ruffage gives me gi issues.

Day 17: NFD. Had around 800 calories today plus an intensive zumba class. I would be happy with losing a tenth of a pound this week! 😫

Nov 15 – NFD
    Nov 16 – NFD
    Nov 17 – FD

I coped fairly well with my fast day yesterday, after just a herbal tea for breakfast. I managed fine with just a carrot, baby spinach and some cherry tomatoes and then after work had to swing by the supermarket to get some food to cook for the rest of the family. They were having sausages and salad, and as I grabbed the sausages I found a pack of mixed seafood (2 serves in a pack) with only 100 cal per serve. I love seafood but the rest of the family doesn’t so I don’t get to eat it much. It gave me a new reason to love the FD and I went home looking forward to my seafood salad for dinner! When I have to make something different for me, I may as well make it something I don’t usually get to eat, and I have something to look forward to.

Lany36- have you thought of omelettes? Or cauliflower fried rice?

Day 18 NFD NZ
    Broke my fast at 1pm today so about 41 hours with 400cals.
    Rest of the day was a bit carb heavy and possibly over TDEE but I’m not too worried as my fast was great and I’ll go lighter tomorrow.
    Thanks for all the suggestions about food, i love omelette and cauli rice. I also eat Greek yoghurt and berries often on a FD so you are all very much on the same page as me when it comes to food choices.
    Normally I do HIIT on my FD and find it good.
    I went for a 70minute walk about 4hours after breaking my fast with my lunch calories today and felt really weird, almost out of body, couldn’t really feel my legs properly. Has anyone else had trouble with exercise after fasting??

Oh wow!! Lany . . 40hour fast, that sounds very challenging.. well done.

The weekend looms and this is my most challenging time.. For those that get evening munchies what about eating an orange (takes a while to peel which helps occupy hands / mind and has sweet flavour) or some nuts – high protein which makes them more filling. Though I can go through far too many nuts if I am not careful and once I start it is hard to stop.

Nov 17 FD

Take care everyone..

Meon, I am exactly the same. Weekends are very challenging and eating nuts in moderation is never possible! I love raw nuts but the danger with them is that you eat too many. Considering that they are very calorific it is not a good thing!

Fasting today. Had my porridge at 8 in the morning and I am still ok at 12-45. That’s a good going!. Very nervious about my weigh in tomorrow morning.

Updated:

Successful FD for me yesterday and I feel like a new woman! How quickly I forget the rewards of pushing through.

Meon – I like your idea of going for an orange. I’ll pick some up this weekend.

Lany – very impressive!

Last spreadsheet update until Monday. Have a great weekend everyone and treat yourselves well.

Day 15,16,17 – NFD. πŸ™
    Trying again today.

Day 18 = NFD
    Worrying a bit that the upcoming holiday week is going to be hard. Son comes home tomorrow for a week and I love to make good food for him, so there’s that. Plus TG itself. I am determined but realistic. Give me, and us, strength.

Day 18 NFD
    Day 19 NFD

Just watching “that sugar film” and the quote “our bodies can’t burn fat while insulin is dealing with all the sugar”. There is so much sugar hidden in the foods most people eat (only 20% of supermarket food is free of sugars!) that it’s like our bodies are constantly dealing with sugar. So having a FD would give the body the sugar break the body needs to be able to deal with the fat.

Day 18 & 19 NFD
    definitely within TDEE today and not at all hungry.
    Happy to have had a day of healthy food choices.

Day 18 nfd
    Day 19 nfd

Ran a good 4.4 miles today, after a good easy 4 miles Thursday. I think this is overall a good time to work on long slow endurance before transitioning to higher intensity sprints, HIIT. Like you mentioned WWFH, part of getting adapted to fat burning mode. Long easy runs are getting easier and faster on less food! Non scale victory!

Tomorrow is likely a migraine day, I routinely get a 3 day migraine once a month. Maybe, hopfully, the fasting will help.

@jaybee what does free of sugar really mean? A glass of milk is going to have 8-10g of sugar in the form of lactose. Is the focus on added sugar?

Day 15 NFD
    Day 16 FD
    Day 17, 18, 19, 20 NFD

Managed my fast days even with four days of wedding stuff. Also did my three runs for the week πŸ™‚

Now for next week, which is also going to be a challenge due to being away for several days on a field trip…

Best of luck everyone!

Day 19 = NFD.
    Fell off the TDEE wagon a bit today. Not feeling too bad about it (though maybe I should), since I’ve been consistently good for 99.9% of the days since starting with 5:2. Karlanz you must have willpower and then some — 4 days of wedding stuff and still stayed on track? Hat’s off !

Day 19 = NFD.
    Fell off the TDEE wagon a bit today. Not feeling too bad about it (though maybe I should), since I’ve been consistently good for 99.9% of the days since starting with 5:2. Karlanz you must have willpower and then some — 4 days of wedding stuff and still stayed on track? My hat’s off to you and everyone struggling against the tide!

Day 18: FD.
    Days 19-20: NFDs.

The scales were not nice to me on Saturday. Gained 1/4 of a pound.

Finally got the Fasting diet book, should’ve bought it ages ago. Very positive thoughts when reading it, fasting is so benefitial in many ways!

Now to another week!

Day 20: nfd

@lany I have found trouble doing hiit on fast days, I don’t think I’m enough fat adapted to do so. I can do easy jogs, so am focusing on doing plenty of those, good for my running anyway!. A friend invited me over to do body pump on Tuesday, a nfd after my Monday fd, so will see how that goes.
    I have some serious burning mouth/sunburned lips feeling going on, since Friday actually, so it started 2 days after my last FD. Anyone else experience anything like that?

Can’t remember when I last posted my days so apologies if I double up

Day 17 FD
    18, 19, 20 NFD
    21 FD

I wasn’t feeling up to a HIIT today so I spent 50mins on the crosstrainer at the gym at a high incline, I’m not sure why I couldn’t face HIIT but at least I still did something.

My FD has been great, no concerns about making it through and I’m thinking my NFDs will be better this week. I feel more in control and I have some nice meals planned which makes a huge difference. In fact I’m sure that’s why FDs are so easy, it’s always planned and there’s no last minute meals

Day 20NFD
    Day 21 FD

So hungry today! I would have dinner early on a FD simply to avoid cravings but have to pick up DD7 in an hour so don’t really have time to cook my salmon. Sucking on a chicken bone from last night’s dinner to tide me over lol. I figure the cals woul have to be fairly low since I’m not actually eating it!

J-Ray, yes the target is added or refined sugars. But you’re right, I guess with any sugar n the blood (even from lactose) it is harder to break down fats. Which is why having an extended block of time without eating (as we tend to do with the fast diet) would have an impact on fat. The doco suggests that the body “holds onto fats” while sending insulin to the sugar and that’s why fat is harder to break down with sugar around. Another doco I watched suggested that there is a “perfect ratio” of fat and sugar in foods that we are naturally attuned to as it would help us store fat (considering we evolved from a time when food wasn’t always available). They used iced donuts versus plain glacΓ© donuts to show that a much higher percentage of people reached for the glacΓ© donut over the higher sugar iced and sprinkled donut, and then did fat/sugar tests and found that the popular one had that ratio. I know none of it is in the fast diet book, but I just find it interesting to look for links between similar food studies, especially as the fast diet is a scientific one. (Can you tell I am also a science teacher?!)

Day 16 – 22… NFD πŸ™ πŸ™

Lots going on so just not able to fit in an FD yet.. and now I am under the weather.. will keep it light today, but doing an FD won’t be possible.. tomorrow also I have plans to go out for lunch so no FD possible.. hope to get back in the game soon. All the best everyone!!

Day 21: FD

@meon-dweller (and all fellow evening snackers), it’s actually turned into a secondary goal to avoid the evening snacking all-together, which is a habit which turns on me when I get the munchies for the greasy/salty (not good for when husband goes out of town – I can down a bag of potato chips!) I’ve been successful so far just making a cup of tea, and if that goes, making another. Once I “break the seal” on evening snacking I think it kickstarts my stomach/brain into thinking it’s hungry again and I eat more than I need to.
    Snacking is a funny thing! A couple years ago we went to Spain for 10 days, and it became quickly clear that snacking isn’t a “thing” there, and with the later nights nothing is open for breakfast. It seems the lifestyle there tends to be more towards an 16:8 without snacks in-between meals. You eat, and then don’t think about food until it’s time to eat the next meal, and then it’s a feast.

@jaybee78 that makes sense! I think it’d why there is this saying that floats around that you need to exercise for at least 35 minutes to get into fat burning mode – you need to get out those glycogen stores; but fasting is another way to do this. Interesting! I’m also a science-nerd, and not given to doing anything fad or psuedo-science-y, and look at the fast diet as more of a lifestyle change. In that respect, it’s fair to say I’ve seen reports that most of the studies done have been done on men and women have not reported the same benefits, but this is mostly anecdotal so I figured I would see for myself. Thus far, I’m on day 3 of a day when I would expect to wake up with a migraine, and for the first time in 1.5 years I *seem* to be avoiding the monthly migraine, so all things being equal if that’s the only benefit I see I’m sticking to it!

Updated:

The weekend was a success in my book. Attended my neices birthday party and shared a chocolate cake slice with my husband, had a cupcake, and one slice of pizza. I am OK with all of that! I ate very light the rest of the weekend and this morning I easily resisted break room treats. Ive’ been feeling much more in control of my eating and I believe not excercising has something to do with it. Hmmm I won’t forgo my gym sessions but I think I will make diet my priority for now. Lose the fat first and build the muscle second.

Karlanz – way to go persisting under special circumstances!

MiniMee – any FD’s are better than none. I hope you feel better soon.

Hi guys.. I’m having a bad time at the moment. I struggled with my FD’s towards the end of last week, and have been feeling very low for the last few days. My scales yoyo over the same few lbs, any extra food seeming to up the reading but even fasting and only having an evening meal it doesn’t seem to go down. I took the view of not focussing about my food intake over the weekend, eating 3 meals a day, yes I had a piece of cake and a couple of biscuits, some bread at lunch time.. but nothing extravagant or excessive.. and as predicted I’ve put on weight again. I really feel I deserve to be going down on my scales reading.. but it just isn’t happening. Anxieties in my personal life have reared their ugly head again.. I am heading for a big hurdle just before Christmas which is preying on my mind. I have a lot to be grateful for, and I know that, but sometimes, occasionally things really get to me and life is emotionally challenging. I know my woes are minor compared to many in the world . . but of course we all have things that affect us. Anyway, just trying to unburden things here a bit and see if it helps. I am fasting today okay . .

update for me

Nov 18 FD
    Nov 19 & 20 NFD

Keep strong people . .

@meon-dweller – thank you for sharing about where you are and I’m sorry it is a difficult time for you. I find it nearly impossible to lose weight while I am very stressed and/or not sleeping well. Water weight and inflamation can wreak havoc with my progress. Hang in there and keep on with your good habits. It will come together for you.

Question, are you tracking your calories in a program such as My Fitness Pal? Every couple of months I track for a month or so because I so easily lose sight of how many calories are in the portion sizes I am eating. Also, would you consider meditation? Something to bring stress levels down perhaps.

Last thing to consider – weight loss is definitley not linear! It can take weeks to see the downward progress. If you have stalled for 2 weeks that is not unusual.

Hang in there.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 246 total)

You must be logged in to reply.