November 2017 Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
November 2017 Challenge

This topic contains 1,403 replies, has 122 voices, and was last updated by  Anna6 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,404 total)

• Day 3 Gold Coast, Aus CD

Great FD yesterday, under 100 calories. I’ve switched from white tea and coffee throughout the day to herbal tea in the afternoon – yesterday had peppermint tea which was very refreshing. It was a very quiet day, and it got a bit tough late afternoon, so messaged my OH as he was also on a FD, and between us we kept each other strong. Great outcome for both of us.

Day 3 NZ FD

Still Day 2 –

Good to see you back @happymargo – may you heal well & soon.

@debster251, I echo @mjrbcd44 in saying that your quote on 1/2 lb a week. Will try to keep that in mind.

It’s a rough stretch at work. So much so that I’m wondering if I retire immediately or attempt to finish the school year. It’s nice to come read in a forum where folks are lifting each other up!

Together we are stronger!

Day1 Sarasota, Florida NFD
    Day 2 Sarasota, Florida CD

Day 2, Ireland, FD

Thanks for adding me @jessyoursize I’m hoping logging on here will help me stick to my goals for the month and beyond! It’s bed time and I’m only checking in but it was a successful day having ate 500cals and burned over 300 out on the river paddling. NFD In 7-8 hours time yesssss! If I sleep that long…

Good luck to all 🙂

@jessyoursize
    Hi im joining in too.
    Back on the 5:2 wagon.
    thanks for motivation.

Day 4 – Japan – FD 83.5kg … was 84kg when first got up … weight is variable

Year 2 – FD #4

I’ve had 3 easy fast days, I’m about 1/2 through this one, 18 hours or so to go. But I only feely slightly empty.

I have a trip to China coming up. I’m supposed to train for 4 days. I’m not too keen on that type of stuff, but I’m keen on getting a paycheck. At least I’m not worried about the food this time. I did go to China around 1986 and the food was pretty rough then.

So I’ll probably have 1 or 2 shorter fast days … but it is probably only a matter of time before I do a multi-day fast again.

My daughter is starting to settle down a bit, I hope it isn’t just some deception. I have hope, I had a couple horrible years with my son, but he is much better now.

3rd day, Germany, NFD
    Had a wonderful FD yesterday (as mentioned earlier…) today is a NFD and I just had a big porridge for breakfast. I felt really hungry this morning (as usual after FDs). My bottom lines for NFDs are: 3 meals/ nothing in between, no sugar, lots of water and Tea.
    Tonight I am invited to a Sushi dinner, so I am planning on a light lunch.
    Have a good day 3 everyone!!!

Day 3, Copenhagen, NFD
    Good for you, @miraclelou 🙂

I had a great FD yesterday. Didn’t eat anything until about 9 pm, and I was a little below 500 cals. Had a weird dream that I had cake or a candy bar or something to break my fast this morning, which I felt really badly about… 😂 oh well.
    Planning a third fast this weekend, but considering upping my calories a little if I can manage to wait until dinner time to eat.

Happy Friday, everyone! X

Day 3, Brussels BE, NFD

Hello everyone 😀

I have read through everyone’s posts and enjoyed all of them and will certainly be including some of the tips given! There are so many here that it’s hard to post a message for each!

Yesterday was a good FD at 445 cal, all healthy, I even turned down a local speciality cake, it was 4pm and I thought it was a pity for a FD to go to waste lol

Today, aiming at keeping my TDEE at 1700 which will be my final number once I reach my goal (as suggested by @at thanks!).

@debster251, thanks, I followed your suggestion and I have planned my meals today, leaving some room for extras lol !

I’ll be one of those not weighing themselves in till the end of the challenge, I battled eating disorders as a teen and I know I get obsessed with it so don’t want to fall back into that rabbit hole 😉 Although I’m looking to loose weight I’m also hoping to make this a WOL so trying not to obsess over numbers!

Have a good day all ☺

Day 3, London, NFD.

My attempted FD yesterday did not quite happen, but I still ate less than normal and did not get tempted by some cupcakes at work, which cannot be a bad thing.

This month’s effort will be an incremental thing for me.

Day 3 UK NFD

My first day in maintenance went quite well. I ate a bit more than would have been ideal but it was all healthy. My weight is a little back over target but that was to be expected and I have a week to get the bouncIng to happen under goal instead of around it. I started eating a bit early because the veg box I signed up for from Riverfords arrived and I couldn’t resist sampling a few things even though I was still working. I had ordered a bottle of kefir to try, that disappeared rather rapidly! I thought it tasted just like yogurt, very nice. But given that dairy sets off my arthritis I won’t have it often, but I can justify it occasionally for the benefit of my gut bacteria. I had to use up some older veg last night but tonight I will enjoy cooking from the veg box. I think a dhal using the french beans and carrots might be in order…

Day 3 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD
    Nov goal: 136
    Current weight: 139.5

I am into the 130’s!!! I have broken into the 9 stone zone 💃💃😆😆😆

Yesterday was an FD, but I was seriously wondering if it was going to be a crash as DH had prepared mozzarella sticks as starter, and a huge amount of salmon with carrots and broccoli for dinner. He even had a bottle of red wine open 😨 It was his day off and he always cooks on his days off, so even though I had said I was having chicken noodle soup for my meal he went ahead and cooked. Thankfully it was a clean meal (apart from mozzarella sticks).

I was less than 800 calories I think.

I weighed this morning, saw 9 stone 13.5, checked twice more, called DH into look….and it stayed at 9 stone 13.5!! Yay.

Off for my cardio stress test at noon. Hoping it will not show any heart issues. I feel confident that it will be fine, and thus scary heart problems can be eliminated.

I will treat myself later on this NFD.
    Happy Friday all

Hi Fatrabbit
    Would you recommend getting veg boxes? Went to a Christmas Fair thing at Olympia last night, and almost signed up with Abel and Cole to get regular deliveries of a veg box. I’m afraid I won’t get round to eating everything. Do you chuck much away?

2nd post, still day 3

@fatrabbit Good for you! 🙂 a veg box sounds nice. I’ve been considering signing up for such a service myself.
    Also, you can get kefir without dairy – and you can make it yourself, actually, if you have a “starter”. Here in Copenhagen there is a Facebook group where people can give away portions of their kefir to other people for free, which is pretty awesome. Maybe I should get into making kefir again. I used to make it based on water and flavoured with raspberry and such. It was nice 🙂 x

Friday is my weekly weigh-in and I dropped an unbelievable 1.3kgs this week on 5:2 (500 cals). I’m not sure how this happened!

The only change is I’ve started eating raw walnuts and almonds for snacks on NFDs. I was worried about trying these as they are high calorie and I don’t calorie count on NFDs, but I think I snack less overall as I don’t feel hungry so much. I’m going to check this out a bit more, as it looks like a good thing to keep going if I don’t eat too many!

Day 3, Newcastle UK, NFD

The Halloween goodies did get a hammering last night but overall the day was still pretty good. In fact any day that I don’t consume a full bottle of wine is not just good it’s awesome! I’ve managed AF Monday to Thursday with no problem (it’s a bad habit not an addiction) and I’m determined not to undo all that good work this weekend.
    Overall I’m very pleased with how November has started. I definitely have my mojo back.

@phil Taylor – is there any way that you can eat the same meals as your family but maybe leave out any heavy carbs – ie. replace the potato/chips etc. with more veg? If it’s pie you could eat the filling and leave the pastry. You never know, as your family start to see your results, they could be encouraged to follow this WOL too – given the overall health benefits that fasting can deliver.
    @flourbaby and @at – I hope you both saw my comments on both NY and anniversaries on Day 1. However, I couldn’t stop dreaming about both last night (I know I’m weird) so feel the need to mention it. I obviously have a deep guilt complex – but that’s a whole new subject lol!
    @abfab5 – at only 20 cals per tablespoon I’m sure the benefits of psyllium husk are well worth it. However, upping your fruit and veg may achieve the results you’re looking for. You’ll find out what works as the weeks go on. Any tips will be most appreciated 🙂
    @debster251 – re OMAD for both humans and dogs – going back in time, this would have been the natural pattern – maybe only one meal in several days. Those clever marketing people have convinced us that we need 3 meals a day plus snacks in between. To line their pockets.
    @emma Taylor – good going on dry November. As you get each day under your belt, your resolve to not blow it will become stronger.
    @happymargo – sounds like a great outcome after another worrying time for you. Onwards & upwards and downwards of course.
    Congratulations on your new job @jessyoursize – that must be a big weight off your mind (no pun intended). I agree that now and again it is necessary to put some plans on hold so as not to overload one’s plate. The running will always be there. As far as the med diet – yes, the healthier we can eat overall can only be a good thing in terms of health benefits and weight eradication. If our body feels its nutritional needs are being met, it’s less likely to give us thoughts and feelings of temptation.
    @kerry Ann – are you really experiencing pain when hungry or just strong hunger pangs? You may do well to check with your GP to be sure. If it is the latter, you can override the pangs and they will subside pretty soon. Especially if you go OMAD in early evening (well that’s my experience). As one of our forum stalwarts (sadly not with us this month) said: Hunger is just fat crying – let it weep!! As far as the length of your posts are concerned – let them be as long as you need. We are interested in hearing everything you have to say. As you will find, the support and subjects on this forum have no boundaries.
    That sounds like a good strategy @StephieS – I think I will join you in not weighing until the end of the month. That will be a first for me!
    @annemarilyn – I expect you will think long and hard about what is right for you regarding your timing on retirement. You will write out the pros and cons and end up with the right decision. I know from experience that the results of work stress are not to be underestimated.

So today I have lunch with a friend and maybe dancing tonight with OH coming along for the social side of things. He’s a way off dancing yet – but his knee replacement continues to improve on a daily basis. We are both over the moon with the results. Another shout out for the good people of our NHS.

Have a great Friday folks and be on alert for the weekend self sabotage demons who are getting ready to do their worst if allowed!!!!!

3rd post
    @strawberriesandcream thanks!! It was actually just cause I was battling a crazy hunger so I figured having some fibre would help in those 10 hours or so before I would have my evening meal. I already hover somewhere above the daily recommended fibre intake (also on fds) so I’m all set there. Also, someone in another group I’m in (on FB) said that the calories in psyllium didn’t count as it’s basically all insoluble fibre, but I wasn’t sure this was the actual case… 🙂 but thanks! X
    (Also, your username makes me crave a strawberry smoothie 😍)

Day 3 Luxembourg

FD2 went really well, going by the result this morning. I had eggs and asparagus for breakfast and then nothing until dinner time (20:15ish). I drank water, tea and coffee – no milk- throughout the day and did not get many hunger pangs. My body started to make noises about late afternoon but I did not feel hungry.

Dinner was grilled Turkey breast, with green veg (brocolli, sugar snap peas, bok choi, asparagus). For so few calories (426) it was a huge plate full. One last mug of tea before bed and I did not feel hungry this morning when I woke up.

Now, we have only 1 set of weighing scales in our house and so I have to believe what they tell me. Last week (26 Oct) I weighted in at 92.8 Kg and this morning the scales told me that I weigh 91 Kg, a loss of a whopping 1.8 Kg in 7 days.

Not all great news though as my waist remains unchanged at 111 cm but I am sure that will change over time.

Although the diet recommends that you eat normally for the remaining 5 days, what constitutes “normal” will undoubtedly change. For example, I am thinking more about what I will be eating and whether or not it is doing me any good. That does not mean that I will suddenly become vegetarian or stop eating chocolate coated orange and lemon rind, or even deprive myself of red wine on NFDs. But I will cut down on such things as croissants (shortage of them in France after all) and the lovely cakes and tarts from the pâtissier (bakery).

This weekend I will be looking to increase the exercise activity – cycling and walking to begin with. Don’t want to get too over stressed about it all, and it is getting cold outside.

@strawberriesandcream We solved the problem for last night and only our daughter had rice with her grilled spicy turkey and veg. My wife is following a different regime and some of the recipes are quite close – I just need to put my plate on the scales and then add the various ingredients, noting the weight each time.

We tend not to eat “pies” but perhaps the occasional quiche at lunchtime. Most, almost all, our meals are prepared from base ingredients – no bottled pre-made sauces.

Does anybody know of a decent calorie calculator – one that you can input the ingredient and weight (or volume if liquid) and get a calorie value out, e.g. input Brocolli, 47g = output 13 (k)cal. I know that the NHS have one (https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/weight-loss-guide/Pages/calorie-counting.aspx#) but it has pre-defined portion sizes and veg does not conform to it.

Day 3……Florida……FD

Okay, so yesterday’s FD was a dud…. bombed out completely. So, I’m gonna try it again. Although, it’s going to be a bit harder than usual. Today, is first Friday and we always do an evening Mass and dinner out. I’ll have to go for lite versions of everything today!

I got to laughing this morning, I’m not sure who mentioned it but you soooo right… Cake is jumping off the pages. I didn’t notice it until it was mentioned! Lol

@mogaman….. I did realize you were in Sarasota…..I think your the closest one to me…… I’m just north of Tampa! Cool beans!

@fatrabbit…… oh, I love fresh veg. It’s one of the main reasons, I started my garden. I’ve never had a veg box delivery but I love going to the farmers market to smell and touch all the efforts and spoils of Mother Nature. Although, we do garden, we still hit the farmers market, a few times a month.

@jessyoursize…..Congrats! Don’t you just love losing something, you’ve wanted to get rid of for ages!

@ Daffodil2010…… Congrats! When I hit the 130’s…. I danced around the house like a grasshopper with one leg! It was the best feeling, I’m glad you are getting to enjoy it!

@dykask….. safe travels…

@dry winos…..how everyone doing? Keep strong!

Well….. it’s that time again…..

I do not have ducks!
    I do not have rows!
    I have monkeys and they’re running the circus!

Day 3, UK, NFD

NFD today, but won’t break my fast until this evening. Back home and my weigh-in for November is 82.6kg, so October was not a good month.

Aim is to get to 78.5kg by Dec 1st, which Dry Wino should help with.

Day 3- Colorado USA- NFD

Yesterday was a success! Can’t recall my last FD, so I was a bit nervous approaching this one. Afraid it’d be a struggle. Nope. Turned out to be easy-peasy lemon-squeezy! 🍋😃🍋

Had many errands to run all day. Usually out of habit, I’d enjoy a fast food lunch to break up the day. Mmmm. French fries & extra pickles on my cheeseburger. But NO! I reminded myself it’s just one day. Tomorrow I could eat. So I grabbed a fizzy water & sipped all day on cal-free beverages. Totally forgot about breakfast & lunch. Saved all my calories for dinner with OH.

Did a big Costco haul too (it’s a membership warehouse where prices are great but you have to buy in bulk.). Right now, I can’t lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk, so I politely begged assistance from fellow shoppers to put items in my cart. Especially the giant 40 lb bags of dog chow!

What started as a bit anxious, “How am I going to manage this shopping trip on my own, without blowing out any sutures?” Turned into a fantastic reminder of “There are KIND people everywhere! Strangers are just friends you haven’t met yet!”

Great start for November! Gives me hope that we can rock this month’s challenge!

Day 3, Ireland, NFD

Hi @daffodil2010 not the only Paddy in the village I see! Well done on your progress, keep it up! I’m using my phone to log but must get on the computer as it’s not so easy to comment on others’ progress on this…

Good luck to all 🙂

second post

I had been considering getting a veg box for ages. I would have preferred to find a properly local one to subscribe to but we don’t seem to be within the delivery area of one so I went with Riverfords although I could just as easily have used Abel and Cole. I was tipped into doing it because Tesco has kicked our veg collection bin out of the local shop because collection bins for charities no longer fit their corporate image!!!!! I am no longer inclined to give them my money and would rather support organic farms more directly. Even if it costs me more. I can’t really recommend it yet having only just started although it seems good so far. Changing the order was easy and the website very good. The driver talked to my sister and was apparently very friendly. I don’t foresee any difficulty using it all because we are household of four adult vegetarians/vegans and in fact the jumbo box looks a bit small to me. I suspect that I could easily use two except for the potatoes. I wish I had a sunny enough garden to grow veg or the time to get an allotment, but I don’t so this is the next best thing.

Daffodil congrats on the 9 stone something. Those milestones are so wonderful aren’t they :))

@abfab, yes I should try water kefir. I just don’t like to commit to faffing about with grains etc not knowing if I like it or not. I would have ordered that to try instead if they had had it.

Day 3 – USA (Illinois) -NFD

Have my exercise class Silver Sneakers later on, but I really don’t feel hungry this morning. Likely because I certainly overate yesterday. Plan is to make some chicken rice soup later that hopefully doesn’t have too many carbs/calories.

DAFD: “Day After Fast Day” is always tough for me. Always has been for the 19 months I have been doing our WOL either as 5:2 or 6:1. Anyone else have that issue?

@flourbaby – I do fear we are becoming rather blase about violence around the world. But could our non-commenting about NYC be because we don’t seem to have any New Yorkers here? I know UK is well represented.

@happymargo – great to see you back again! Wow, your body has been through a lot. Hugs and prayers as you continue to heal, and good for you getting help at Costco!

@jessyoursize – congratulations on your new job! May it all go well.

@miraclelou – maybe you have the same issues I do on DAFD (mentioned above)?

Onward and downward.

@flourbaby @lLynneD – Love the slogan! “Dry til Fri” it is then!
    Not joining the full-on Dry Winos his month, but limiting my red 🍷 to Fri/ Sat/ Sun & only 1-2 glass limit. This should help reduce calories & also strengthen my resolve against “snackidents!”

@penz – OMAD stands for one meal a day. It’s a form of intermittent fasting. Others would say 23:1, meaning you Fast 23 hours and have a one hour eating window. This method works fantastically if you want to Fast but not have it disrupt family dinners.
    No calorie counting, no stressing over how to split up your meals. Simply eat your one meal a day as dinner with the family. (Some people on OMAD allow an apple or hard-boiled egg during the day if truly needed.)

@metatauta – & others like @at @onahealthyhigh @songbirdme – Love ❤️ reading your success stories! So inspirational. Steels my resolve & reminds me that this WOL WORKS! @at – great list of reminders on The Basics. “IT’S NOT JUST ABOUT LOSING THE WEIGHT; IT’S ABOUT LOSING THE LIFESTYLE AND MINDSET THAT GOT YOU THERE” Steve Maraboli…. awesome!!

@jessyoursize – Congrats on nabbing that new job! You must’ve impressed the bosses. Hope you have a smooth transition & enjoy your new position.

@califdreamer @at @anna6 @jessyoursize @aljomisaza @annemarilyn & others – thank you for the kind words & healing thoughts! I love this forum! It’s a wonderful reminder of kindness in this world. ((Hugs))

Day 3 Akron OH FD.

I just got caught up on posts from the last three days, and I wanted to say “huge welcome” to all the new members of our family. I really am grateful for this forum and credit the support from you all for continued successes.

@kerry Ann I enjoyed reading your post and the words of encouragement to @rainbowsmile. Thank you for those beautiful words. Words are so important, sticks and stones may hurt for a moment or two, but hurtful words can hurt for life if we allow it – @rainbowsmile your handle makes me smile; you are definitely better off without your ex, you will get your body back, but more important you will heal from all the hurt you suffered because your weight does not define you; your spirit does and that shines through in your posts, Hugs.

@jessyoursize huge congratulations on your new job!
    @happy Margo it’s good to have you back. I hope you heal quickly, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

@StephieS when I first began ADF, I tended to binge on my NFD but over time the urge to do so has lessened; this has been echoed by quite a few people on this forum. Currently, if I have a taste for something, I help myself to some of it and then I do not feel the need to finish the whole bag/bowl/package. I had been dieting for so long, I think I was in a constant state of deprivation. When I realized that I could pretty much eat anything I wanted I stopped feeling like I had to. I remember going into a froyo store once on a NFD, wandering around and then leaving without buying anything. This would have been impossible a year ago.

Yesterday was a NFD and I felt like having bagels and cream cheese for breakfast, for the first time in my life, I ate the recommended serving size (half of a bagel) and chucked the rest. I still can’t believe I was able to do that.

So my advice is this, treat yourself on your NFD and eventually over time you will not feel the need to binge. If I want something on a FD, I either get a piece and physically save it for the next NFD or promise myself that I will get it and most of the time when my NFD rolls around I do not want it anymore. But if I still want it, I enjoy every single bit of it; eyes rolling, finger licking, lips smacking, guilt free 🙂 

Ok gotta get to work now and earn my keep. Have a great weekend everyone!

Good morning day 3 Oregon USA

Successful FD #1 is in the books. Think my total calories were 540 but I call that success. Wasn’t terrible and if I had been better prepared could have been pleasant.
    Going to make a big pot of the weight watchers “0 points” soup this weekend to have on hand for Monday.
    @philtaylor I use “My Plate” for calorie tracking and it customizable, prefilled and bar code calorie options. Have used others but this is free and works well.
    @happymargo The kindness of strangers is always so uplifting isn’t it?
    Many thanks to all the 5:2 veterans who share their journeys.
    @strawberriesandcream love the phrase self-sabotage demons.
    Will work on keeping them at bay this weekend.

Three NFD’s to look forward to. 😊😊👍

Day 3 Sarasota, Florida CD Travels are over and I’m transitioning to our Winter home for the next 7 months. This time last year I was 14 pounds heavier! I have to watch these transitions though- already thinking of my favorite local happy hours. I only drink wine but those “bar bites” are delicious and loaded with calories. I can still have them if I skip lunch that day, which won’t hurt me at all. Lots of unpacking to do today but the weather is fine and I will get outside!

2nd post, still Day 3, NFD
    @songbirdme I know exactly what you mean with the problems on a DAFD!!!
    I could hardly wait until lunchtime today. After lunch I sat down to read all these lovely postings here (instead of getting some work done 😉 – well, it helped me to get back on track and now I only have to take the Sushi and Caipirinha challenge tonight – which I really DO look forward to…
    Perhaps really carefully planning ahead my meals for the day and then stick to it is the key (as mentioned by some members in this group)
    @StephieS Maybe I’ll give it a try with the weighing only once a month,too. I also come from a teenage eating disorder and I guess that I will probably go crazy with numbers for the rest of my life. So why bothering me with that every day. I’m just scared that my weight might go up and I don’t realize it in time… Which is probably not true since there are of course other signs I would notice. I have to remind myself that my job is just to stick to my eating and fasting plan and I can give up bothering for the numbers and the control thing. Might feel much freer??? Maybe I’ll start trying it for a couple of days and see how it feels and how my eating works out …
    Thanks for your comment!

Day 3 – USA – FD

@daffodil2010, yay for you being in the 130s!!! @happymargo, we knew you could get back on track with a successful FD, good for you! @basyjames, I can relate to wanting that bagel “with a schmear” of cream cheese (@Bert1802, you remember that from visiting your fav NYC deli, right, lol?)…I found a great recipe for a low-carb “everything” bagel a while ago that beat out all the other pseudo bagels out there in YouTube land. I usually make 6 at a time and freeze them, taking them out on NFDs for brunch with full-fat cream cheese! MMMM! We love living in a rural area, but sorely miss good Chinese, pizza, Italian sausage, bagels and generally any other ethnic foods you find in the city. We ship pizza in frozen!!

On a more serious note, I worked in NYC most of my life until 2001…I personally was deeply affected by 911, going through a separation at the time that ended in divorce. I had to deal with two very scared pre-teens alone which was very stressful. So after this recent terrorist attack in NYC, I hesitated to comment on it purposely because of how deeply and directly it hits my heart. I am afraid to say what I really feel in this international forum because I assume that some of my deepest anger about it will offend some. I keep those things to myself, as the purpose of my posting here is to encourage, share my 5:2 life, and keep it light. Hope you all understand.

Day 3 – SW WA USA – NFD

Going to try to keep it controlled or do mindful eating. Tonight is Bunco & snacks but it is an NFD and I will chose some treat. The host said she’s probably going to make peanut butter popcorn.
    @songbirdme – I used to have a lot more issues on NFDs but somewhere along the way it changed. Maybe because I was tired of undoing the FD work on NFDs; not sure. I just at some point noticed that I was staying more reasonable in my eating on NFDs.

@cmcd – great mutual support on a FD between you and your hubby!

@miraclelou – your name intrigues me. Are you looking for a miracle with 5:2?

@Strawberriesandcream – thanks for the input regarding retirement.

Enjoy Friday folks & remember that together we are stronger!

Still Day 3 –

@metatauta – I appreciate your input on the forum. Question – what is the title of the youtube video for the bagel? That sounds like something I’d like to try.

Day 3 – USA – FD

Second post: @annemarilyn, here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGVMhSZ-QUk

Day 3, NFD, US
    Bert1802 – like you, my FD yesterday was an absolute dud. Maybe something’s affecting the resolve in southern Florida! (I’m in Tampa.)

Congrats of the day go to Daffodile2010 – well done!!

Thanks HappyMargo. I knew I’d seen OMAD somewhere before but my brain just could not unscramble that acronym.

Day 3 Wales NFD

Friday is for me the start of the weekend and this will be my first Dry Wino weekend in living memory, well at least in adulthood. Week days are normally booze free but I’m going to find the weekends testing, I so love the taste of a robust red.

@jessyoursize – since my second week of 5:2 I’ve done BSD and I love it. 4 months on I’ve lost 17 pounds, feel great and skin looks better. I eat Med style every day but only count calories on FDs when I allow up to 800 – perhaps I would lose weight more quickly if I reduced down from 800, but I’m happy with progress so I’m enjoying a more comfortable FD! It may not suit people who must eat cake as you do have to be quite disciplined on reducing refined carbs and sugar, but I prefer cheese ands nuts to cake and candy so it suits me perfectly. Another advantage I’ve experienced is that I don’t become bad tempered and emotional now when I get hungry – OH noticed this benefit first!

@daffodil2010 – Congratulations on being 9 stone something!!!!! My target was 10 stone but now that I’m close I’ve decided that I really want to be in the 130s. Hope the cardio test went well.

@happymargo – wishing you speedy healing.

Onwards and downwards.

Day 3, London, UK, NFD

Long post warning!!!

After an appalling EFSW (epic-face-stuffing-weekend) or 2; at the end of October, I’ve had a whoosh, I’m going to check the battery in the scales, because although I have eradicated 4lbs in 2 days before, usually it follows a couple of liquid fasts. I’m expecting some ‘bounce-back’ anyway, but we’ll see………………. The ALL TIME LOW looks good on the scale though!!!!!!!

Some info for those who like a good whoosh!!

http://100down.org/the-whoosh-effect/

http://fatburningman.com/4-simple-strategies-to-burn-fat-after-a-binge/

@happymargo, so good to have you back, you’ve clearly been through a lot recently!! I hope you’re recuperation goes well, helped along by 2 very important components………… mum & booze!!!!! Will there be brie??? I think I was concerned by your absence from October, I thought the whole Dry September/mispronunciation of ‘grapefruit’ (LOL) had catapulted you off the wagon!!!!!

I’m definitely banking some FDs this month after last years’ Xmas 8lb gain!!! Never again, I blame the Baileys!!!

Congrats on the new job @jessyoursize, this month will be so busy for you, you’ll be fasting without realising it!!!!

@saffy420, 50lbs surely means an entire new holiday wardrobe!!!!?? Congrats to that and enjoy swimming any indulgences away!!

@wellrounded, stick with it and you WILL get there!!!

@strawberriesandcream, way to go!! I’m with you staying Dry ‘til Fri, so much better to gorge on Halloween goodies than an entire bottle of shiraz………. I did that last year……….I think!!!!! I saw your Day 1 post re. NY but it was one of a few, yet I remember so many sentiments from previous challenges, this time I, like a few others I guess felt unable to comment; I was just so incredibly sad………..… again!!!! @songbirdme, you could be right, I think I did a bit of an ostrich and avoided the entire thing, then the guilt set in!!! I wasn’t judging anyone for not commenting re. NY, I didn’t either. I think I just felt guilty because I didn’t NEED to comment as before…………. I really hope my heart isn’t hardening as I speak!!!!

Ok, so I’m guilty of mentioning cake a few times, but cake!! it’s hard not to think about it, particakely on NFDs, so I’ll cake your advice & I just have to cake it out of the equation altogether, I think it’ll cake November much easier to manage, particakely as I can replace it with red wine!!!!!!

Oooh, @miraclelou, you’ll notice the weight eradication, despite not weighing daily, when your pants fall off in the middle of the supermarket……………… happy days!!!!!!

@missybear, I’m with you on the red, robust or not!!! I still can’t believe I manged Dry September & October, it really gets easier each weekend that passes and although you think your guzzle an entire bottle come Dec 1st…………. you won’t because after one glass you’ll be on the floor!!!!!!

Stay strong everyone & keep the faith, this really does work!!!

@coda, @okeydokey & @brightonbelle…….. xxxxxxxxxxx

Day 3 – ABQ – FD

So yesterday still ended up as a FD – just a 650 one rather than my usual 500. Surprisingly the wings didn’t have as many calories as I thought they would, and I could really only eat maybe 6 before being comfortably full. I even got a cake that I didn’t eat! That is a big first for me. I just don’t crave sweets the way I used to. Heck I still have 2 full bowls of Halloween candy, that usually would be calling my name, but I just don’t really have any interest in them. I’d much rather have a handful of shelled sunflower seeds (i know, I need to back off the salt – but it’s my jam) to round off my day if I get a little nibbly.

I’ve decided to try for a 3rd FD (B2B2B) so that I can really show myself that I mean it this month! I WILL lose the pounds, and I WILL stay strong! And even though it’s a little crazy (for me) to attempt a B2B2B with another B2B2B following after the weekend (a weekend of CDs). But since I’m getting my arm implant out on Wed, I won’t have much of an appetite day of since I never do after going to the doctor, but I could become a raging hormonal monster and in need of a few non-judgement days until they settle back down!

The DH and I will be going shopping this weekend and I got him on board to try the Med-Style diet from the BSD 5:2. I am very excited, I usually prefer cheese and nuts to sweet stuff – like @missybear – but trying to cut out all sweet things (Hello fellow Sugar Slayers) is going to be interesting.

@bigmarie – I’ve added you to the spreadsheet! And WELCOME to the wonderful way of life (WOL)! Take a look around at some of the previous posts as there has been a lot of really great info shared already! Use the spreadsheet as much or as little as you’d like, and we are all here for you!

@daffodil2010 – WHOOHOO! Way to go getting into the 130s!! 💃 only a few more to go! You got this!!

@cornish-jane – 1.3 kgs?! Wow that is so awesome! I’ve read that nuts are a great snack, especially raw, so I think that change can really make a difference! I may have to try it!

@bert1802 – YES! It is the best feeling to know that I actually did finally get rid of those pounds!! And that is the best visual you gave for @daffodil2010

@flourbaby @lLynneD @happy Margo – I am totally willing to join you in “Dry til Fri”! That much (at least until American Thanksgiving) is easy to do, since I usually don’t have time until the weekend anyway!

@missybear – I am so glad to hear of someone doing 5:2 with the BSD and having great results too I might add! Way to do! And I’m pretty sure that DH would super appreciate me not trying to bite his head off when I’m hungry – especially since I’ll be taking my arm implant out next week, and goodness knows how my hormones will react lol!

Day 3 – McMinnville Oregon USA – NFD
    My eating has been pretty darn good since hanging out at my friends. I’m headed home today so I will do a FD tomorrow or Sunday.

@fatrabbit – Congratulations on making your goal. Your journey inspires me!!
    @jessyoursize – Congratulation on the new job!!
    @daffodil2010 – Congratulations on braking into the 130’s. That’s my goal too, 5lbs to go!! Such a big achievement, be proud of yourself.

Day 3, Gozo, Malta, nfd

After several cups of coffee with milk I had a chicken, avocado, bacon salad which was delicious. I had a banana just now and I’ll have some more of the salad this evening. I’m well within my tdee that way.

Bert I too make it a point to go to mass on the first Friday of the month but I try to go to mass every day.

Have a great evening everyone, onwards and downwards. Happy weekend!

Day 3 California NFD 60 kg

Well, the effects of the 11th hour Halloween Candy Gorge have disappeared and I’ve hit a new low weight on my 5:2 journey. Still, I think what today’s weight might have been had I not indulged. 😒

@philtaylor, congrats on your 7 day weight loss! I experienced the same thing with weight lost, but not inches, when I started the 5:2. I think it was a month or more before I saw a real difference in the way my clothes were fitting. Just one of those weird things… I use myfitnesspal to figure out calories for different ingredients. It’s an app for smart phones and tablets. I use the free version and really like it. It’s also excellent for finished or packaged foods with a built-in bar code scanner.

@fatrabbit, congrats on reaching your goal! 👍🏻 I hope to join you in another 2 kg.

@jessyoursize and strawberriesandcream, the leftover Halloween candy needs to at least be hidden, if not dumped. Take it from one who knows…

Day 4 NZ NFD (Controlled)

Day 3 – Cumbria UK – FD

Goodness me it does get dark much earlier since we turned the clock back!

Had a lovely evening out with OH and DD 👨‍👩‍👧 yesterday celebrating her passing her driving test at first attempt and a mini wedding anniversary celebration – OH and I are planning on a proper celebratory meal out “a deux” 💏 sometime soon. Even with 1/2 bottle of a yummy Gewürztraminer to accompany my delicious Thai starter and main meal I still came in well below TDEE and best of all I enjoyed every morsel and felt very satisfied!

And as I did not feel at all hungry this morning I decided to do another FD today, even though I did a back B2B FD on Monday and Tuesday…..only consumed 2 cups of tea and lots of warm water with lemon so far today and not feeling particularly hungry as yet………

Hygienist appointment this afternoon and all good – if she’s happy then I’m happy too .

Thank you @anna6 for the anniversary wishes

@jessyoursize – great news on your job – hope it all settles down soon after the usual hectic start – You can do this!
    @saffy420 – have a fab holiday – well deserved – you can have a fab time on your tropical holiday 👙🌴☀️🥂and maintain your weight – you know you can and remember that maintaining whilst on holiday is a definite positive experience
    @miraclelou – well done you on a FD with less than 500 kcal – Enjoy that great feeling of achievement and remember how you felt when you have a day where you may struggle
    @georgia83 and @bigmarie – welcome back to 5:2 WOL – stick with us on this challenge and we will support/encourage and get you to your goal
    @kerry Ann – poached eggs with a 1/2 an avocado mashed with pepper and lime juice and toast (no butter required with the avocado 😉) even better – my favourite brunch! I also find exercising on FD not an issue – I regularly do a 1.5hr yoga session or a 6mile/8km hike on my FD and find myself feeling really good afterwards and not one bit hungry! At the beginning of my journey here I used to drink a glass of water whenever I thought I was hungry and amazingly most of the time the “hungry feeling” went away!!
    Long posts are good – I often do especially on FD – great distraction therapy 😇
    @camcd – good job – must be very supportive having your OH on this journey with you
    @StephieS – you are welcomed – we are all here on this journey together x
    @daffodil2010 – 👍on hitting the 130’s – hope the cardio stress went OK
    @Strawberriesandcream – Sorry I had missed that 🤗Thank YOU xx Great to hear your OH knee replacement’s recovery is going so well
    @philtaylor – great job on dispatching that 1.7kg in a week – learning to enjoy 🍷🍰🥐in moderation is the trick – I’m with you in not giving up the treats I love – for me🍷🥂🍰 I just no longer have them on every NFD and when I eat/drink them I enjoy them all the more….I use MFP and find it useful
    @bigviking – good job!
    @songbirdme – on a DAFD – I never wake up feeling hungry but I always have to beware in the evening when there seems to be a little 😈on my shoulder urging me to keep eating especially if I have had a couple of glasses of 🍷- some days I manage to tame him and on others he wins but I keep trying 😇
    @happymargo – you are very welcomed – it’s so nice to know that you are now coming out on the other side of a very difficult few weeks 🤗 So nice to hear that there are kind people around and you got some help when you needed it
    @metatauta – 🤗re NYC – I missed that – so many horrible incidents taking place all over the world recently – so very sad about the lack of understanding and support for each other all over the world so unlike our little community here – so nice to know that we can express our feelings about anything without any judgement x

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts and catching up this afternoon – it has got me through the worse part of a FD – I would love to comment on all the posts but that is an impossible task with so on this November 2017 Challenge but the more the merrier 😊 stick to the challenge and you will see a result at the end of the month!

Remember the 80:20 rule – “It’s OK to give in to cravings every now and then. Losing weight and keeping it off means balance, not going without treats for the rest of your life”

3rd post
    @annemarilyn no, I am not looking for miracles with 5:2, miracle comes from my morning routine the miracle morning in case you’ve heard of that 😉
    Many greetings!

Day 3 – NFD – Kodiak AK USA
    Good Morning!
    Yesterday’s fast day went well although more challenging than the first! I thought about food more often 
    My plan is to continue with the spreading out calories during the day until my body adjusts to this WOL.
    The plan for NFD is 3 Meals, if hungry, no snacking in between. Plan to go at least 4.5 hours between meals to let my stomach fully digest.

I’ll follow this for 4-6 weeks and then evaluate.

I’ll plan to weigh once a week, Tuesday morning since that was my very first FD.

@Strawberries – I loved your post. So much info. And your comment about not consuming a full bottle of wine! Whoa, there was a day not long ago when I could have said those exact same words! I’ve come along way with that, fortunately. Re: the stomach pains, I think in my post it may have sounded like I know less about the pains than I do. I have been to the doctor many times over many years about my damn stomach. I have two issues identified, one is an underactive gallbladder and the other is a corn allergy. Both of these things cause various stomach issues. My stomach is otherwise perfectly healthy. The pains are generally from going too long without eating but they’re not hunger( or they can be caused by exposure to corn in any form which I’m sometimes unaware of.) They happen after I finally put food in my stomach and the digestion process starts. This has something to do with my gallbladder not working properly. I don’t remember the full medical explanation but there is one and it makes sense. It’s the reason that I will probably never really like going to OMAD. But who knows! It could happen. Thanks for your concern! As far as actual hunger goes…I agree! I used to hate it, it scared me to death because I believed all the headlines…”lose weight without hunger” blah blah blah and all the sports nutritionists who said you have to eat every 2 hours or body will consume all your muscles!! Now I know better and I equate hunger with my body using up unnecessary fat stores!! So glad to hear your OH is doing well with his knee replacement!

@basyjames – congratulations on your win of having the recommended serving of bagel! Serving size is one of my biggest challenges. I like what you said about treating yourself on NFDs and gradually over time we won’t feel the need to binge. I agree whole heartedly with that. Getting past the mindset of deprivation and the proverbial “cheat day” is difficult and takes a little time but I think the realization will eventually dawn that there will be plenty of opportunities to eat all of our favorites so we don’t have to do it all at once!

I would love to be able to comment individually to more of you fabulous 5:2 ers but, sadly, I have to get to work. TGIF!!! I’m enjoying all of your posts!

Have a great day or evening as the case may be!

Oh, one more thing. Curious question…does anyone else on this thread have psoriasis and has anyone seen improvement after using IF?

Thanks!
    Kerry Ann

Thanks to those of you who have made suggestions for calorie trackers but MyFitnessPal doesn’t work for me and My Plate is just offering far too much. I want something simple without any added portion sizes, recipes or fitness programmes.

I want to be able to input the ingredient and the weight/volume and for the app to output the (k)cal value. If an app like that does not exist then I’ll just have to make it.

Yes!
    I am not on this thread but have seen a vast improvement and only realised that it had disappeared after it had gone! I had lots of positive responses from others who had also found that it had improved or disappeared.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,404 total)

You must be logged in to reply.