Not losing any weight of fat

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Not losing any weight of fat

This topic contains 39 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  goldmoon 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

• I was on the 5:2 for 6 month and still gained weight on that scheme. I switched to 4:3 then, on which I’m now for nine month. I don’t gain weight any more but I can neither lose any weight nor any body fat. I’m now playing with the idea of getting it more intense with let’s say 2:5 – I’m just concerned wether it’s good or not to skip eating for subsequent days. What do you think?

My first thought is to wonder if you’re eating more than your TDEE on non-fast days. I suggest counting calories for a week and finding out just how big your TDEE plate looks like.

I counted very exactly for over 6 month. On fast-days I stay below 500kcal and mostly I consume 0. On non-fast days I often struggle to consume enough calories and mostly stay slightly below my TDEE.

Just to let you know… I’m male, 32 years, 183cm, 101kg, 25% BF, exercising 3 times per week and I would like to loose 10 kg

I find it almost impossible to believe that you water fast 2 or 3 days per week and do not eat your TDEE on the other days and are not able to lose weight. Something doesn’t add up, the laws of physics apply to everyone. If what you are saying is accurate then are you generally lethargic and cold most of the time? Your body may be trying to hang onto your weight by slowing your metabolism down. What sort of foods do you eat? Try and eliminate grain based foods like bread, pasta, rice, pizza. They spike your insulin levels which prevents fat burning.

BenOtt, One thing that comes to mind to ask is whether or not you’ve had your thyroid fully checked out? You can do a preliminary check by taking your temperatue. Generally, the average temperature of an adult with a healthy thyroid and a healthy metabolism is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 37.0 degrees Celsius, and that occurs around mid-afternoon or 3 pm. So if you take your mid-afternoon temp and find it in low 98’s or even in the 97’s, you have been given a strong clue that you may be hypothyroid and/or undertreated (or your low cortisol is keeping you hypothyroid) even if you are being currently treated).

I’m a thyroid patient and have had previous difficulty losing weight no matter what I did prior to being treated with proper type and amount of thyroid replacement medication.

The only thing that wouldn’t add up, is what bigbooty pointed out, which is if you were truly hypothyroid, you would be lethargic and cold, like I was. In that state I wasn’t able to exert myself much. Anyway, just thought to mention this.

On eat-days I avoid usually junk food. I stick mostly to a high protein diet and avoid grains – means eating mostly vegetables and sometimes game (since I don’t eat industrially produced meat).
    I haven’t checked my thyroid levels specifically. However, I’m doing annual medical checks on my employers directive and low TSH’s should have become visible. My body temperature ist normally around 36.8°. I’m really not a lethargic person. I’m really active, working a lot and doing a lot of sports. I almost never feel cold – rather the opposite is true: I’m wearing shorts and tee’s while other people get their sweaters at hand.
    It’s really crazy. On 4:3 (which for most people is a real kick-off for weight loss) I get rid of maybe 100g a week if I’m lucky. If I eat normal every day, I gain easily 500g – 1kg per week. This is why I came up with the idea of 2:5 like eating on the weekend and fasting on working days.

If youre avoiding grain based foods and are eating “normally” on non fast days and putting on weight then that only leaves portion size. Perhaps what you consider to be a normal amount is in reality a lot higher than your TDEE requirement. Otherwise Im at a loss as to why you should be putting on weight. Perhaps do a very strict calorie count for a week to tally up what you are actually eating.

I counted it for some months very accurately. My TDEE is around 3000kcal (according to my FitBit). The calculator here gives me around 2700 to 3100 depending on the activity level I choose. My usual intake ranges between 2500 and 3100 kcal but sometimes lower than 2500. I’m seriously baffled…I think I just don’t need so many calories. By the way, I’m not really putting on weight on 4:3. I’m putting on on 6:1 and can almost maintain at 5:2

So does anyone have any experience with fast weeks instead of fast days?

BenOtt,

Although am no expert, I try to offer some hints on the basis of my recent research on these topics.

One of the issues most of us face in the context of finding the right diet is how to cleanse the body with the proper fasting/diet before resuming to a diet that will keep one on the right track.

Since we are all unique defined by a unique combination of physical and psychological factors, at one point we all react to the same diet in spectacularly different ways.

What seems to be common in most cases is the fact that insulin resistance prevents weight-loss (cortisol is the other bad guy) but if this is not applicable to your case, another possible issue might be the ‘stubborn fat’ phenomenon, which is due to the accumulated toxins in one’s body: http://practicallist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/The-Warrior-Diet-Fat-Loss-Plan.pdf

What I would try if I were you: would do one 24-hour water-fast to detox your system (might repeat it once a week) to trigger a ‘switch’ in your system, then you can continue again with 4:3. Maybe you can combine 4:3 with the so called ‘warrior diet’ (see above doc), ie insert two warrior-diet-days into each week. This would mean using your eat-days as warrior days, when you have your main meal (feast) only once a day, in the evening, while during the day you eat only some raw veggies, nuts, and a little fruit. Only a little fruit because you want to avoid taking too much calories from sugars. On these ‘warrior days’ you don’t need to count calories. On these days (evenings) eat as much as you like – this is essential to boost your metabolism.

Another point: if you haven’t done so yet, make sure you eat enough fat on eat-days and make fat a significant part of your 500 kcal fast meals too.

If you eat under your TDEE and you feel energetic, yet you don’t lose weight, it probably means that your energy is gained mostly from sugars/carbs rather than from fat, so your body is inclined to store the energy as body fat rather than use it. Maybe you eat too much fruit, too much protein and too little fat?
    Dr Jason Fung’s studies show that even fruit and protein increase insulin, while eating high-fat diet reduces insulin, thus greatly contributes to weight-loss. (As crazy as it sounds, it is true – check out Dr. Jason Fung’s presentations.)

My experience has been – confirming Dr Jason Fung’s studies – that it is important to eat lots of fat and eggs on eat-days, since this is essential to boost one’s metabolism and keep it up. Once the body notices that from time to time it will get enough dietary fat and cholesterol to maintain vital functions, one’s system is more willing to give up the body fat rather than reducing metabolism.

Finally, just in case it is applicable to your case: it is essential to avoid all sugars and avoid/minimise alcohol intake also on eat-days, especially during the intended weight-loss period, because these are the main villains to boost the insulin level to a degree that the fast days, which are there to keep insulin as low as possible, can’t undo.

Correction: “This would mean using TWO of your eat-days as warrior diet days”.

BenOtt and those who might be interested:

To explain where I am coming from in above posts: the plan I “advised” is exactly what I am doing at present and it seems to work against stubborn fat.

When I first attempted to follow the IF/fast diet, I tried 5:2 as well, but then I could not lose any weight either. I saw results only when I switched to 4:3.
    Now that I lost 13 kgs after 2 months of 4:3, I am likely to have reached the level when I need to lose stubborn fat, so I was also looking into a more intense / prolonged version of fasting.

In my research I encountered various sources about fasting and from these I combined several ideas to put together the above-posted plan for myself. Under this plan it seems I started to lose the last layers of fat. To make sure that the cleansing process continues, for the rest of the summer I am considering starting a plan of 2 days 500 kcal fast-days, 1 day water-fasting and 4 eat-days high-fat warrior diet – in that exact order, starting with Monday.
    As for both fast and eat-days: I never eat any sugar, any processed food (watch out for so-called “low-carb” prepared food, they are not!) strictly avoid all processed fat, such as vegetable oil. On both fast and non-fast days I eat lots of raw vegetables and nuts, fish, olive oil, vinegar, some fruit and almost no carb whatsoever. On non-fast days I eat bacon with lots of eggs. I was diagnosed with high cholesterol, so I need to eat more eggs than the average.
    As for exercise, Dr. M’s HIT routine, lot of walking and some weight-lifting.

In case of interest, here is a partial list of the sources upon which I relied on to develop this plan (in addition to the mentioned warrior diet book: http://practicallist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/The-Warrior-Diet-Fat-Loss-Plan.pdf):

Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Mosley on Fasting (Full Interview)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cATFCKtJnwg

Dr. Jason Fung on fasting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J9DfeOYBKs

Dr. Jason Fung on dietary fat:
    The Aetiology of Obesity Part 6 of 6: Dietary Villains – Fat Phobia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QetsIU-3k7Y

Documentary on cholesterol and dietary fat (also see 2nd part)
    Heart of the Matter Part 1 Dietary Villains
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGIGXfIDaJo

On longer / more intense forms of fasting:
    Dr. Robert Szabo – ‘Introduction to Therapeutic Fasting’
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DALqoZYWig8

Thank you very much for your very detailed answer. I tought of going on the warrior diet for my eat days, but haven’t tried it yet, which I think I’m going to do now.
    I already try to get a reasonable portion of my energy from good fats and avoid sugars (since I don’t like the sweet tastes anyway 😉 ).
    My weekly physical excercise routine usually consists of:
    Everyday 60 – 100 Kettlebell swings (which are kind of HIT)
    1 day swimming, often in HIT/Tabata Style
    2 days 90min martial arts
    1 – 2 days 45 min Kettlebell
    plus every day walking the dog 🙂

Do you think, 3 water fasting days instead of just one would be beneficial?

oh…do you think on warrior-eat-days I should go for a carb-rich, fat-rich and protein-rich day on an alternating scheme or just keep it simple and stupid and just practice undereating during the day and overeating at night?

You are very welcome 🙂

Now that I reread your posts, I realised that most of your fast days are water-fasting anyway.
    Wow.

At first sight I fully agree with you and with the other commenters on the thread, the fact that your 4:3 diet – combined with such an amazing exercise level as yours – not producing any results is kind of crazy, defies the laws of nature.
    But when I think again, I figure your case fits well in Dr. Fung’s research who referenced case-studies whereby they found no evidence for the calorie in and calorie out theory. In other words, many in the study who were overfed and under-exercised hence expected to gain weight, gained no weight or even lost some, while others who ate little and exercised a lot did not lose weight at all or even gained some.

As Dr Fung explains, this is because the body works very differently than what we expect as per the calorie in calorie out theory. I can’t recommend enough to check out his lectures – all 6 parts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0
    Long, but amazingly rich in essential information the mainstream medical profession won’t reveal to us.

He has a more recent and shorter video on the topic, “The Calorie Deception”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5o0a4p_3U (I haven’t watched it yet):

In your case it is indeed possible that only a longer period of fasting could trigger a fat-loss effect. As for my own experience with more than 24-hours fasting, as far as I remember the longest period I went without eating anything at all, was ca 3 days. But it was a long ago – I was only in my 30’s then. This experience was a water-fasting, an odd one that I did not choose for myself, it just happened (long story).
    There were times when the fasting itself hurt, but then the process of feeling energised got longer and longer. Without wanting to achieve any of these goals, I did lose a whole lot of weight in a short time. I don’t know what exactly I lost, fat or muscle, since I didn’t care, but I remember I felt much lighter and stronger than before, which indicates losing fat.

Later on, when I became addicted to food and developed a sort of phobia against not eating, I forgot all the wonderful effects of fasting.

I too have recently thought of trying again a multiple days water-fasting, but there seem to be so many mainstream warnings against it that I don’t dare to go into it, nor would I advise it to anyone without an expert’s supervision.

As for other cases, what I am aware of is the curious case of a morbid obese person who ate exactly nothing almost for a year (!), stayed alive, felt all right, became healthy, lost tons of weight and thereafter kept it off. Well-documented, true story, and Dr. Fung mentions it in one of his lectures.

Another example I know of is Dr Mosley himself. He also experimented with multiple days fasting, with one Mizo soup a day.
    Part of his documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl7TWm9lemw

Maybe this article could be also helpful to offer some insights regarding longer fasting and its effects: http://www.allaboutfasting.com/effects-of-fasting-ketosis.html

In case after all else fails, what I would do: try to find a trustworthy medical expert/doctor/dietician whom I could approach with a request for a personalised advice on the basis of all details of my blood-test and diet.

Then, if your diet indeed does not contain anything that can reverse the effects of fasting, what could help is a more profound blood-test targeting the specific question why you can’t lose weight.

On this forum the only thing that might help us to find an initial clue, is if you could provide a fully detailed precise list of what and how much exactly you eat and drink on a typical fast and an eat-day.

As for warrior eat-days, and all days actually, I would stay away from all refined carbs, such as bread, and would stay away from all starchy food such as corn and potatoes. Maybe you can even exclude oats for a while.
    Until I start to lose some weight I would eat mostly raw and roasted vegetables, lot of fish (I mostly eat salmon and tuna), nuts, olive oil, avocados, eggs, and meat in moderation.
    But again, don’t take this as an expert advice, since I am no expert and I have very limited info. This is just what I am doing and works for me.

And no alcohol whatsoever at any time, because that is the number-one reason why even at the highest level of exercise one can’t lose weight.

Another thought: whenever you eat meat or fish, eat it with lots of fiber-rich raw vegetables, olive oil and red vinegar, in order to reduce the insulin-boosting effect of animal-source protein. (Based on Dr Fung’s lectures – he specifically advised apple cider vinegar, but all kinds of red vinegar works.)

You didn’t really answer my earlier post with regards to what you were eating. Not all calories are the same. You need to eat foods that do not spike your blood glucose, which leads to insulin spikes. A high insulin level prevents you from utilising stored fats for energy. Buy yourself a blood glucose meter, they are cheap and readily available. Monitor you response to different foods and then avoid foods that spike your BG. I measured my basal BG level on two occasions. It was 4.5mmol/L prior to eating. One!!! slice of pizza and it went to 8.5 within 30 minutes and took 3 hours to come back down to 4.5. One big bowl of tuna salad and it went to 6.5 and took 2 hours to come back down to 4.5. High BG means your not accessing stored fats for energy.

5:2
    NFD: Max 2000 calories
    FD: 600 calories

I already experimented a bit with my blood glucose. I cannot recall the data right now but I remember my blood glucose levels were always relatively stable. After starchy food or sugars it peaks but comes back down to a normal level quite fast, always around 100 mg/dl. After 24h of fasting it comes down to around 80 – 90mg/dl
    A usual NF day:
    Breakfast:
    80g oats with fruits and yoghurt

Lunch:
    A big salad with tuna, sometimes chicken breast. Occasionally it can happen that’s something really nasty like a burger, but sometimes I just skip the lunch even on NF days.

Dinner:
    I would say 70% of the time it’s just a tomato salad with mozzarella cheese. The other 30% it’s a piece of game, sometimes with a starchy sidedish like potatoes, often just with salad.

Fast days:
    often just water, but if I’m eating then it’s always something like
    2 tomatoes. 1 bell pepper, 1 or 2 fried eggs, 3 brazil nuts or almonds

Well Im at a loss. You eat below your TDEE. Food choices appear to be reasonable. You exercise, although what you do I wouldn’t describe as HIT. But that’s neither here no there really. Grasping at straws here. Get rid of the oats. Is the fruit dried or whole fruit? What is the fat and sugar content of the yogurt? Get rid of the potatoes. Take apple cider vinegar with every meal, although your BG is supposedly OK.

Ditch the oats, potatoes and non-berry fruits for a couple of weeks. Yogurt should be full fat plain.

Tinkering….

I feel depressed now after reading all of that 🙁 You poor thing..it must be so frustrating. Well done for persevering. Nice of everyone to give such indepth replies.

In agreement with the other posters, I would also advise to temporarily skip the oats and potatoes.

Another weak point in your diet might be the hidden sugar.

Most youghurts are loaded with sugar. On fast days I sometimes eat non-fat, plain (no-sugar) yogurt, on eat-days I eat the full fat real version, but again only those with NO SUGAR. The main issue is eating sugar whereas the dietary fat is simply made into a phobia for no reason. Our body desperately needs fat-intake, whereas all forms of sugar are severely inimical. I just can’t emphasize this enough. (Do you sometimes drink any of those “energy drinks”? Those are the worst.) I keep mentioning alcohol (again, just in case) because that is also sugar plus the sort of substance the body needs to break down before all else, thus slowing down metabolism as hell. Especially the beer is a bitch. I love to have my glass of wine (one or two) but for now I skip them.

If I were you, I would definitely resist the burger too. If the meat and the bun are not home made, the whole thing is processed, no-nutrition junk food (the very worst you can do to your body), and the bun is probably loaded with sugar too. If your burger patties and buns are home made, then it is okay, but even then you don’t need those buns. Just eat the meat with salad. Your system gets enough carbs from non-refined sources (vegetables). To eat only REAL, not processed food is key. This includes discarding fruit juices as well – absolutely. Even those that are sold as 100% “natural” and no sugar added. Just eat some fruit instead.

And at least for the time you wish to lose weight, leave behind potatoes and all starchy foods altogether. As you wrote, you need to work hard to reach your TDEE anyway, so this may not be too difficult for you.

Just had another thought.
    If you haven’t done so so far, maybe you can try 3 days consecutive fast days within your 4:3 schedule. I do perceive a major difference between the effect of the 3rd fast day and that of the first or second. The weight-loss actually starts on the 3rd day.

In case above does not work either, yet another idea: a friend of mine recently mentioned, her colleague has been put on a diet of 600 kcal per day for each day (!) until he reaches the target weight – this is being done under a doctor’s supervision. Ha has been doing this for months and he has lost a tremendous weight. Maybe this would work for you as well. Maybe when you ‘struggle’ to reach your TDEE is because your system tells you, you just eat too much for the time being and sometimes the kind of food your system doesn’t want/need.

If you follow the warrior diet, that is you eat only once a day in the evening, even on eat-days eating just about 600 kcals (for me, being a woman, 500 kcals) comes almost naturally. I feel entirely full after 500 kcals, and the number-one golden rule for weight-loss is NOT to eat, or stop eating, when one is not hungry.

To add to the final point: my TDEE is above 2000 kcal, yet I feel entirely full on eat days, after a warrior diet feast dinner, even when it does not exceed 500 kcals. Conversely – and ironically – on many fast days I wish I could add another 100 or 200 kcals to the 500 kcals. Then, on eat-days when I force myself to eat even when I am no longer hungry, yet within my TDEE, the weight-loss slows down.

On eat days I almost never feel the need to reach my TDEE at all, many times I don’t even reach the half of the limit. So what I do is just eat when I hungry and only then.

When Dr. Mosley first experimented with fasting, he lost a lot of weight and resumed to a healthy state by eating 800 kcals per day for months.
    So I think, maybe the idea of TDEE calculation is just to indicate the upper limit of calorie-intake in the case it is needed.

Another clue the experts in this field do emphasize is the essential difference between real hunger and artificial cravings. My experience has been that the more I have fasted, the more my body learns the difference between the two and gives signals of real hunger and being full.

I think BigBooty is right on the target when tackling the TDEE question in your case. Maybe you just need to eat much less than your TDEE, and when your real hunger is gone and your system wants to stop you eating, just listen to it.

I agree with BigBooty also on the point of HIT exercise.

It seems to me too that what you think of as HIT workout, although might be intense and could be beneficial for other purposes, is something else.

Imho (though I could be wrong) for most of us HIT can be properly done ONLY on an exercise bike. To be on the safe side, first I warm up for 10 minutes, then increase resistance until I am near maximum heart rate, then for 20-30 seconds I continue pedaling as fast as I can until I reach maximum heart rate. Then repeat this 3 times. (Sometimes I repeat it 4 or 5 times)

Since you are young and an active sport-person, the other option for HIT could be 20 seconds sprint running, but unless one is an extremely fit and well-trained athlete specifically in sprint running, this could easily lead to injuries of both the joints and muscles.

Yeah, sometimes it’s discouraging to deny food when people invite you and do workouts, other people obtain sixpacks from just to stay fat or see people easily loosing weight on 5:2 while I gain it…On the other hand, there’s no other option for me. (To be honest, I’m not really fat or obese. People guess my weight often 5 to 10 kilos too low. I’m relatively muscular, which puts my BMI to around 29. However, my subcutaneous fat is very low on my arms, legs and chest. Just around my stomach it accumulates)

The youghurt is plain and sugar free and I drink only very rarely something other than just tap water. I followed up a low carb scheme for almost 2 years, but it didn’t help. I think it could help in combination with 4:3.

The swimming I do is kind of HIT since I sprint for 20 seconds and easier for 30 seconds. I usually do 12 cycles of this. If I go running, I do almost the same…30 seconds sprint,45 seconds easy. The amount of cycles depends here on the distance, which is around 5km. I just cut down on running trainings just because of the negative effects on joints. I don’t have any problems with that – yet.
    The kettlebell routine I do is mainly for muscle gain and core strength, which works very well for me – as fast as I gain fat, I gain muscle. Additionally I started this due to a treatment of a shoulder injury, because it really helps to stabilise the shoulder joints.

This routine is not really HIT since I dont keep track of my heart rate and can’t really adjust the resitance through swimming and running. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to an excercise bike and to be honest, I wouldn’t know where to put this additionally on my weekly schedule (if not skipping one of the others….). On the other hand, it is still physical excercise and should have some impact (since afterburner effects are also reported for kettlebell workouts…)

I really appreciate your very detailed answers. This gives me some things to think about and might be a new kick-off

The amount and quality of your activity seems to be far more than adequate – it is truly amazing that you are unable to lose weight at this combination of eating and workout.

You do indeed all possible forms of alternative (fast) training. If you wish to learn more on HIT, here is a link to a post by Dr. Mosley (just found it):
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/introducing-fast-exercise/

There is another post by him collecting thoughts on the very topic what can be the reasons when someone can’t lose weight: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/more-on-what-to-do-if-youre-not-losing-weight/

Am truly sorry that none of our efforts seem to be helpful. I do hope that the many “suggestions” I collected here did not turn out to be overwhelming. I meant these as a sort of list of hints and possible options to choose from.

The only possible reason why you don’t respond to intermittent fasting the way the others do, must be the hormonal reason, and it is indeed possible that your initial intuition about starting a longer fasting session would be the solution for you (then maybe continuing eating only 600-800 kcals per day until you reach your target weight). But I can’t be sure, of course. If I were you, I would go for a profound medical test and would ask for personal advice of a reliable dietician/doctor who is knowledgeable in fast diets. They do exist – for example this is one in Canada: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/contact/

I wholeheartedly wish the very best of luck to you, BenOtt.
    Would be glad to read one day that you finally start to see results.

Hi Ben:

It appears that whatever you are eating, whenever you are eating it, how much of it you are eating and however much you are exercising you are neither gaining nor losing weight.

That is the definition of TDEE. So you now know your TDEE.

To lose weight, you need to eat less than your TDEE over time.

So my radical suggestion for you to lose the weight you want to lose is to eat less than you are eating.

Good Luck!

After reading Simcoeluv’s post and reviewing the thread, I bumped into several further questions.

Specifically, to eat how much less? And what happens if that less is still too many calories? Or too few?

In general, the danger of starvation mode as a result of diets, is not a myth. It is a well-researched fact that whenever someone reduces his usual calorie-intake – eg from 2000 to 1700 – it DOES slower metabolic rate and in many cases it leads to long-term weight-gain after a short-term weight-loss. (jojo) In my understanding one of the reasons IF diets were invented in the first place was to avoid this.

Otherwise, these questions arise:
    1. Why exactly it is so that a conventional sort of calorie-reducing diet is ineffective as to long-term weight-loss, while IF is effective?
    2. How come that the conventional diets of calorie-restriction puts one into starvation mode, while IF doesn’t?
    3. What exactly TDEE is good for if not for telling us how much to eat on normal days to avoid any adverse effects of too much calorie and nutrition reduction?
    4. And what happens if someone eats too little, ie he goes too far under his TDEE on NF days?

Without a precise guideline for normal eat-days, BOTH as to a minimum and maximum TDEE, anyone in theory could go as low in calorie-intake as they wish/can, which then would trigger the danger of bringing one into starvation mode and nutritional deprivation. It would indeed reduce calorie-intake and would trigger weight-loss in the short run, but it may result in the well-know jojo effect, such as any other diet does.

And a new thought on why simply “eat less” may not be applicable to Ben. Since he is only slightly overweight, his case could be one of those cases when he is actually not overweight. Maybe the fat he attempts to lose is the kind of fat that protects him and ensures certain vital functions. Maybe for him to lose weight would pose certain dangers that we can’t foresee.

So I still believe that in Ben’s particular case the best advice is to turn to a doctor or dietician to get a precise answer as to what to do, and in the case weight-loss is achievable and desirable, for an advice on the precise calorie-intake for NF days to achieve the targeted weight-loss.

Of course I could be wrong – if so, I would like to know what am I missing …

Hi:

Some random thoughts on the starvation mode.

It seems the starvation mode myth is alive and well, and has been confirmed and enhanced by a recent diet book that claims a body goes into starvation mode by simply following an everyday reduced calorie diet. What is more, it is claimed that once in starvation mode, a body is there for the duration. So there is much concern that the body not go into the mode in the first place, and despair if a body is already there by accident and can’t get out of it.

It seems the starvation mode ruins a body’s metabolism by causing the body to become more efficient. A body in starvation mode needs fewer calories to perform its functions. I have not read of any other effects, like death or illness or injury. So the body in starvation mode is a body doomed to require fewer calories to function than a ‘normal’ body requires. This leads to the awful situation where a person cannot eat as much food as they used to eat without gaining weight. This seems to be a true disaster for a body that has unlimited and good food available to eat whenever it desires. It seems much better to have an inefficient body, one not in starvation mode, so the body can eat more food without gaining weight.

It would be interesting to test the metabolisms of water fasters before and after their water fasts. To date, anyway, it is scientifically documented that the quickest way to lose weight is to eat nothing. Bodies that water fast for shorter periods, like four to eight weeks, uniformly lose about a pound a day. Their bodies do not seem to go into starvation mode in the sense that the rate of weight loss does not decline over time – it stays right around a pound a day. Of course the longest medically supervised and documented water fast was for over 54 weeks. The gentleman lost an average of three-quarters of a pound a day over that period without ill effects. He was only followed for five years after his fast, but in that time he only regained 10 pounds, going from 180 to 190. He must have learned to eat to his new, lower starvation mode induced TDEE.

The only study I am aware of that actually looked for and documented a starvation mode is known as the Minnesota study. It was commissioned by the U.S. government before the end of WWII to try to determine how much food refugees would need after the war was over to not starve to death. The study would not be done today, but those were different times.

The study took a group of average weight male volunteers and starved them. They were required to eat only 1500 calories a day and to walk 20 miles a week – a situation estimated to be the plight that refugees would face after the war. The question was really when would they die from starvation? That would let the government know when and how much food it would have to get to the refugees so they would not die. Of course, they stopped the study before the volunteers died, but pictures of the volunteers at the end of the study confirm the volunteers looked like the survivors of the Nazi concentration camps.

Along the way, the researchers, led by Ancel Keys (some of you may have heard of him), took detailed measurements of the men’s metabolisms, among many other things (the study is about 1000 pages in length). What they found was that the men lost weight at an expected rate of loss (i.e. their rate of weight loss did not slow down) until their body fat levels declined to about 5%. At that point, when the bodies only had 5% fat left and were still being subjected to calorie restriction and exercise, the volunteer’s metabolic rates declined about 40%. This drastic decline in the metabolic rate coincided with the time the bodies began to use quite a bit of muscle matter (read heart) for energy. People that die of starvation usually die from heart attacks resulting from the heart muscle being eaten to the point it can no longer function. So the bodies fought for life by drastically slowing the metabolism. However, the men continued to lose weight – just at a slower pace reflecting their slower starvation mode metabolisms.

Research has always shown that as a person loses weight their metabolisms slow because they have less weight to carry around and need less energy to keep themselves operating. Someone on a diet simply cannot expect to lose weight and keep their metabolic rates where they were when they were heavier. But this study showed that the metabolism does not radically slow until and unless the body gets to the point where it must start seriously eating muscle mass to survive. Its measurements also support the experience of water fasters, whose rates of weight loss continue at a standard pace as long as the fasting continues and the body has sufficient fat stores to fuel its operation. So the concept of a fat person on a diet going into a medically defined starvation mode seems flawed. A fat person continues to have more than sufficient energy stores for the body to function without harming itself and there is no solid evidence I am aware of from studies specifically focused on the subject that proves a fat person will go into a true, medically defined starvation mode from water fasting, much less from going on a diet.

Throughout the years, diet book writers have constantly, it seems, used the starvation mode in various forms to explain away problems people face when dieting. Many use the mode to explain why people on diets stop losing weight. There is nothing a person on a diet likes to hear more than they are eating too little food and to lose weight they really have to start eating more! Personal trainers use the mode to explain to their clients paying them money to help them lose weight why all of the exercise is not causing rapid weight loss. They say (I have heard it many times) that their clients are not losing weight because, while the exercise is working, their diets have put them in starvation mode so they can’t lose weight. Now it is being used to explain why people that have successfully lost weight seem to regain it. It seems to be an all-purpose excuse.

So believe in the starvation mode if you want to, and worry about it if you are the worrying kind. But even if it exists, you will still be faced with the fact that to lose weight you will have to eat less than your TDEE, and to maintain your weight loss you will have to eat no more than whatever your TDEE is. The dream of having the same ‘fast’ metabolism you had when you were fat so after you become thin you can eat how you used to eat and not gain weight is, well, a dream. But a nice one!

Agreed. I think people are generally confused at to what constitutes “starvation” mode. Im hungry is not the same as starvation. The body enters starvation mode when you have exhausted all fat reserves (well say less than 1-3%) and have no caloric intake and as a last resort the body starts consuming protein (mostly muscle mass) as a means of surviving. I seriously doubt anyone on this forum is even remotely close to this.

Of course your metabolic rate will “slow” as you lose weight as your energy requirement will be less. No you cant eat the same amount that you ate when you were 100kg compared to what you eat at say 80kg. There is also an energy conservation mode that may happen with a continuous calorie deficit diet compared to eating the same total amount of calories for the week, but eating them using an intermittent approach such as 5:2. If your liver is poorly adapted to accessing stored fats its actually easier for some to conserve energy rather than the body struggling to access stored fats. This leads to lethargy or “I always feel cold” as the body tries to find “short cuts” in an attempt to keep the weight. Im not sure why IF seems to circumvent this phenomenon. If someone has some science behind this Id be interested in reading it.

The central concern here is not what the term ‘starvation mode’ actually covers but the question of how to tell how much to eat exactly under the TDEE-defined calorie-intake in order to stay/become healthy and avoid any adverse effects of the weight-loss diet.
    This is a matter far from being as trivial as just telling someone: eat less.

The main point of my post was not to discuss starvation mode. (on a side note, if starvation is mode a myth, how come there is detailed scientific explanation of what starvation mode is about?)
    Nevertheless, it goes without saying that anyone who stops eating or eats too little for a long time, eventually loses weight until the point when he gets sick and dies.

Hence the question is never what to do to lose weight. The real question is how to lose weight in a sustainable way, which does not lead to regaining that weight, meanwhile staying healthy, energised, fit, strong, satisfied, happy, capable of exercising, studying, working, socialising, sleeping, etc.

In short, the goal is not to lose weight at all costs, but to lose weight and keep it off in a sustainable manner that improves one’s health rather than ruining it.

Thus the general question pertaining to all of us: why and where exactly to start and stop a weight-loss agenda? In this society that breeds anorexia and wrong body-image, this is a burning question.

Or isn’t it a fact that we have forgot what normal means when it comes to one’s body/shape? When I look around, all I see are either grossly underweight or overweight and that goes for all generations, including the young.

Obviously, not everyone who is trying to lose weight should be, and not everyone who should be trying to lose weight are actually on a weight-loss diet. And most of us who are, are following the wrong diet, following the wrong medical advice to simply lower calorie intake and increase exercise. Research shows, including Dr. Mosley’s book, that this advice is dead-wrong in most cases. What matters in the first place is the pattern of eating and what we eat.

I copy here what I recently wrote on another thread:
    “The research underlying intermittent fasting is the evidence that the mainstream advice ‘reduce calories and exercise more’ does not help, to the contrary, it yields an adverse effect on weight-loss, since it reduces the metabolic rate.

This is exactly why the very idea of intermittent fasting was introduced in the first place and this is why IF (or fasting as such) is the only kind of diet that actually works for those who can’t see results via mere calorie-reduction.

I have found the respective part in Dr. Mosley’s Fast Diet book referencing a research that compared the weight-loss effect of eating the same kind and amount of food (and obviously same number of calories) as 2 meals or 6 meals. The former yielded significantly more weight loss. See page 13, “Science of Fasting”

The whole idea of IF seems to be introducing a special (more doable) way of fasting rather than just reducing calories in some way. The aim is to introduce an eating pattern that mimics our ancient/natural eating habits, and which leaves enough space between 2 meals in order to obtain the benefits of fasting itself. The longer the periods without food-intake the more time is given to the body to rest without any insulin-spikes, to burn the waste, to improve overall hormone performance, etc.”

That said, I can’t recall any of us advising Ben or anyone “to eat more to lose weight”. Most of our hints have been centered around possibly changing the eating pattern and to focus on the right foods that reduce or contribute less to insulin-spikes. Turns out Ben has been doing all this correctly. He is not only grossly reducing his calorie intake, he has done so via a 4:3 schedule, mostly by water-fasting (!), he is eating healthy and on NF days he has been staying below his TDEE. And he in an athlete, as his highly intense exercise level indicates.

At this level of exercise I would absolutely NOT advise him to eat less, and definitely not without a doctor’s advice and supervision.

Let me explain why, just in case it might be of interest.

Just because Ben can’t lose weight, it does not mean he should force weight-loss by further lowering his otherwise significantly lowered calorie-intake.

After reviewing Ben’s posts, my gut feeling has been that he is not really overweight. He is an extremely active sport-person with an actual normal weight.

Just like TDEE is not an objective indicator, how to define what is normal weight/BMI in an objective sense, is another open question.
    Maybe his built is such that his normal weight yields higher number of lbs than the average, maybe he is extremely muscular with bones heavier than the average, and his bones and his extra muscle-mass is what makes up most of what he considers “extra” weight.
    On this point I refer to Dr Mosley who often points out that in many cases obsessing with one’s weight is not the right approach. For example: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/more-on-what-to-do-if-youre-not-losing-weight/

The only reference point indicating that Ben could lower his TDEE and his calorie-intake is his mentioning that on eat-days he often struggles to eat up to his TDEE-level.
    Only on this basis it is possible that his system needs less food than the estimated TDEE, and lowering his food-intake on eat-days could indeed trigger some weight-loss.
    However, as an ex-athlete I can testify that at his level of exercise it is hard to imagine that eating less is sustainable for him without significantly lowering his exercise level. Even his current combination of calorie-intake and exercise is a sort of miracle.

What is more likely the case, his metabolic rate is slowing down to adjust to his IF routine and calorie-restriction, and his body desperately tries to preserve energy to keep up with his extraordinarily high energy-expenditure. Following IF for such a long time yet not losing weight at such intense workout routine, is such an exceptional case that one should look much closer in order to understand why.

The other concern is the question about Ben’s so-called ‘actual TDEE’.

When someone is really overweight or obese, then eating less is obviously not a concern. Then the main concern is one’s eating pattern and what to eat exactly. But in the given context, ie when someone is not really overweight, the question persists, how to tell that one’s chosen TDEE-level at any point in time is still within the OBJECTIVELY healthy range or under it?

If TDEE is not an objective guideline, then anyone’s calorie-consumption at any time could be considered one’s TDEE. This definitely can’t be the case. None of the expert advices I encountered so far mentions that anyone can lower his/her TDEE as per one’s weight-loss wishes. Then a guideline is needed to tell us exactly how much lower one can/should stay under the currently calculated TDEE.

Finally, to emphasize the main point again: Ben has already been eating less, much less, than what he normally does, this is why it makes no sense to advise him to eat even less than less.
    He has been following IF for months, even at 4:3, including water-fasting, he is young and healthy, and keeping such a calorie-restricted, healthy diet as Ben’s does, at the level of an athlete’s workout does not result in any weight-loss whatsoever, the issue must be somewhere that can be identified only by personal medical consultation and profound medical checks.

Although this conclusion is derived upon a layperson’s intuition and responsibility, my guess is that Dr. Mosley, and all experts in the area would probably agree.

You make perfect sense goldmoon. Compounding the problem is that people can only offer opinions based on what the poster is saying. That information can be incorrect for a range of reasons (including any underlying medical reason that is not evident). The concept of a distorted reality also enters the equation. What overweight people call a “normal” portion and what a healthy normal portion of food is may be two very different amounts.

I have just taken half hour or so reading through all of these posts and they make a really good read! Some very valid points here. I, also like Ben am really struggling to lose weight. I am 22, 5’3 and weigh 140lbs. It doesn’t sound a lot but because I am so short it all gathers round the middle! An area of myself I am trying desperately to improve. I LOVE fitness, I am training 5/6 days a week mixing it up with weights, cardio, HIIT and boxing alongside the 5:2 diet. I have currently been fasting for 2 weeks and only lost 1lb last week despite the amount of training I am doing. On my ‘normal’ days I am still strict and do not eat above 1400 (my fitness pal indicator)

I would love it if anyone has any usefull tips or words of wisdom they could pass to me please!

Goldmoon, I appreciate your advice and I guess you really hit the nail on the head! I’m relatively muscular and I indeed have a very high body density. I’m a scuba diver (and I forgot to mention going scuba diving in cold water at least once a week…) and in training I go submerged even wearing a thin wetsuit without a weight belt if I’m not making any swimming movement. Like Kleighx3, my body fat is all concentrated around the middle of my body – the rest is pretty lean. Good to read that I’m not the only one! It’s very likely that you can find all more or less easy answer right in this thread. Maybe if that all doesn’t help, professional medical help is strongly advised! It’s just hard to find someone competent in that particular field!

Kele:

If I understand it correctly you barely started 5:2, so it might be a good idea to give this regimen some time until it takes effect.
    In case you are unaware, you are in the normal weight-zone, so no need to worry and no need to hurry. (I just did a quick calculation to obtain your BMI by using this website: http://bmicalc.org/bmi-calculator-for-men)

If 5:2 does not produce results, and you would still prefer to try losing weight, what you may try is to switch to 4:3, (a version of 5:2). See FAQs on this site / “What do I do if I am not losing weight?”

Though Ben’s example seems similar to yours, the root cause why you and Ben can’t lose weight could be essentially different. If there is any similarity, it may come from the fact that both of you are young, into intense sport and in your actual normal weight zone. And since neither of you are overweight, if we apply Sim’s explanation, the metabolic rate of both you is much slower than those who are overweight.

However, as Bigbooty pointed out, on the limited information we can obtain via these forums it is impossible give one other a precise personal advice. Each of us on either 5:2 or another weight-loss diet, represents a unique combination of features which altogether determine why one can or can’t lose weight at a certain point in time. And just like each of us are unique, the many combinations of a diet and exercise routines, are unique as well at each point in time.

But even without expecting a personalised advice, it is still a good idea to look around on this website for general guidelines and experiences we share.

As for me, whenever I find contradictory information during research, I discern the correct advice upon following my intuition and experience, I experiment with different techniques, develop my own modified version of a fasting/diet regimen, I carefully choose the foods I eat, and stick with a plan that I find most reasonable, scientifically convincing and/or empirically effective.

At present I follow a combination of 4:3 and the so-called ‘warrior diet’, I only eat whole/real foods and combine such diet with a moderate exercise routine, ie short but intense interval trainings, lot of walking, cycling and the HIT routine.

Ben: I tend to believe that in your case the kind of belly-fat you have might be the sort of fat that protects your internal organs. Maybe our body is as intelligent as to develop such defensive technique for those who pursue martial sports?

But to make sure it is not visceral fat carrying the danger of pre-diabetic condition, to consult a doctor remains the best idea. (Though if that be the case, 5:2 and 4:3 would have made you lose the belly-fat.)

Since your original question was about longer fasting, here is a link that you may find interesting: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/longer-fasting-regimens-part-7/
    At the end of article the methods of longer fasting are mentioned.

Bigbooty: Your posts make perfect sense to me as well. I have read many of your posts on these forums, and very much appreciate your sharing your extensive knowledge and experience.

Sim: I have read many of your posts as well on this website and most of them I found very well thought out, highly informative and eloquent. For example, I very much appreciate your posts on cholesterol and Dr. Fung’s research. (It was via your comments that I found Dr. Fung’s groundbreaking work). What I find odd, how come you put the emphasis only on calorie-restriction, while you seem to ignore the primary factors of a good diet: to eat only healthy food, and the very fasting element in IF, the timing of meals? Just like Bigbooty’s, your posts are at the level of a medical/dietary expert’s, but while Bigbooty rightly highlights above relevant point, you keep the emphasis on mere calorie-restriction, stating that within the calorie-limits of fast days and on NF days we can eat whatever we wish. This might leave many in a sort of confusion, since it is common knowledge that any diet is effective only both as to improving health and achieving weight-loss, when one eats ONLY whole/healthy and home-cooked foods and while excluding all forms of artificial ingredients, processed sugars, preservatives, etc (considering the long list of different hidden forms of these as well) trans-fats and other poisons the food-industry bombards us with.

Please take no offense upon pointing this out, since my appreciation for your overall work still prevails.

Kele and Ben: to add to my former comment, no you are NOT alone when experiencing difficulties in trying to lose weight.

As it turns out, at present this is what’s happening to me as well. Again, confirming Sim on this point, while I was overweight I could lose 30 lbs via 4:3 quite fast, whereas ever since am down to my so-called normal BMI zone (for weeks now) I have hit plateau even at 4:3, and even while strictly keeping 500 kcal or even less on fast days and staying way below my TDEE on NF days.

So my conclusion for the time being, I don’t see any reason to go for any further weight-loss, and I continue my own version of IF (4:3 and warrior diet) only for maintaining my weight and to retain the IF-associated health-benefits. If it yields further weight-loss I will take it as a bonus.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply.