Not a good start

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TracyJ 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Hi,
    I “officially” started the 5:2 diet on Monday, but hadn’t eaten anything since 2.30pm on Sunday, since then I only had water until 8.30pm Monday evening when I had 362 food calories, not counting the -486 worth of exercise calories that day.
    Tuesday I had 1144 food calories, with -324 exercise.
    Wednesday (today) so far i’m at 538 food calories with -324 exercise.

I weighed myself on Monday mid morning, on the machine in Boots, and was walking past there today and couldn’t resist the temptation to weigh again, according to scales I have put on 0.2Kg and my body fat has increased by 6% !!
    Thought I was supposed to be losing it not adding !

I know it’s only been a couple of days so intend to continue with my fast day tomorrow.
    Thanks for reading
    Dave

Just stick with it and avoid random weigh ins Dave. If you’re going to weigh yourself regularly then do it once a week, at the same time of day, in the same clothes and having eaten and exercised the same amount that day. It all makes a difference and that is the only way to have a true reflection of your weight trends.

You didn’t have many calories on Tuesday and your fast day calories seem low too (for a man). If that is correct according to your TDEE then fine but don’t starve yourself on non-fast days in the hope of losing quicker (it might go the other way), this is a longterm solution, not a quick fix, so you need to be able to live with what you’re doing forever.

Good luck on your journey and let us know how you get on.

Hang on – I’ve just reread your post. Are you saying you actually had 848 calories on Monday and you’ve discounted the calories expended in exercise from that total?

If so, that’s not how to do it. On a fast day you should eat 600 calories or 25% of your TDEE. It doesn’t matter if you exercise or not but you don’t go over that figure (well maybe by a few calories if necessary but not by 248 calories at any rate).

If that is the way you were working it out then your Tuesday calories are fine if you’re trying for quicker weight loss, although you should be aiming to be near but not quite at your TDEE really, if you want to do this longterm and sustainably.

Hi Tracy,
    Thanks for your replies, on Monday I actually ate 362 food calories, plus water. I also exercised -486 worth of calories so my intake that day would have been actually -124 calories. (362 – 486)

Dave

Hi Dave, I wouldn’t try to do these calculations – just stick to the diet (TDEE on non-fast days and 25% of that on fast days) and just regard the exercise as something that will help to speed up weight loss, tone you up, and is good for your health – otherwise I think it just becomes too complicated! Also whilst yes you need to stick to your TDEE on non-fast days, counting calories becomes a chore – as long as you eat sensibly you should be fine – and that’s the whole appeal of this diet!

I would also really recommend just weighing once a week. I know how tempting it is to do this more often – especially when you’ve been good on your fast days – but weird fluctuations do occur and you run the risk of feeling demotivated if you get a result you don’t like.

There’s such overwhelming evidence on this forum that this diet works and great tips and support available from your fellow 5:2-ers, so try for a few weeks and I am sure you’ll see steady weight loss!

Good luck 🙂

I agree with Cathy, this isn’t a diet that works just on the basis of your calorie intake. Exercise is not taken into account at all. Obviously it’s good to exercise.

I personally find weighing on the morning I get up easier and I only weigh on the same day every week (Wednesdays). Your weight will fluctuate during the day which makes it harder. Some people like to weigh daily but I find it can be deflating. Once a week gives you a good indication if the diet is working or not. Some people like to weigh fortnightly to get a bigger loss.

The beauty of this diet is the simplicity. You just have to count calories for two days and that’s it. Unless you are really overeating on the other five days it’s not an issue. I’ve only been doing it two weeks but already my appetite is shrinking.

This is the calculator that Cathy mentioned for non fasting days – http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

Good luck

Oh good – thanks for replying Dave. Then yes, it sounds like you’re undereating all over the place then – unless those were the numbers that came out of your TDEE calculation. Try sticking to 25% of your TDEE on fastdays and don’t go mad but don’t restrict yourself to well below your TDEE on non fast days. If you’ve been undereating for a while it may take some time for 5:2 to sort out your metabolism, so don’t expect an overnight miracle.

If you find you can manage well without breakfast I’d also recommend doing your exercise, on all days, on an empty stomach, as some people seem to burn more fat that way (including myself). However, if it works you may find that you don’t actually seem to weigh any/much less, as the fat burning happens alongside muscle toning/building and muscle weighs more than fat.

Hi Tracey,
    Thanks for replying, going without breakfast is a normal habit for me !
    My TDEE according to the calculator is 2182 calories a day, so 54 for a fast day, but think I will struggle to hit 2187 on a normal day !!
    Will it hurt if I stick to 1200 or so on a normal day ?
    I’m 52, 5’6″ and 12st 11Lb’s (81.2kg)
    Also intend to take up running again in the mornings before work and walking during the day/evenings.
    Thanks
    Dave

Thanks also to Cathy & Puny for your comments.

“so 54 for a fast day” – should have read 545 !

Hi Dave,
    I have found that a lot of my family and friends have dropped out of the 5:2 after 4 weeks or so because they do not see the same results as quickly as in a conventional calorie controlled diet.
    I have been on 5:2 for nearly 6 months now and it was a slow start, but by hanging in there and following the recommendations I finally got started and have lost a tad under 2 stones so far. I am a 63 year old type 2 diabetic and the 5:2 has improved my blood pressure and cholesterol significantly. 6 months ago I was classified as obese, and although I am still about a stone overweight I have lost the obese tag.
    When I started, My digestion was not good but now acid reflux is a thing of the past.
    I am losing about a half pound a week and don’t really care how long it takes me to get to target. I hope you stick to the 5:2 and have the same results. Good luck!

Hi Dave, blimey that’s a relief – 54 calories would be a bit extreme wouldn’t it 😉

Only you can decide what is right for you with regard to calorie intake but your TDEE numbers are actually almost exactly the same as mine and all I can say is that I have the full 25% of my TDEE on fastdays and try to keep on or under 2000 calories on my ‘off days’. I usually come in at about the 1800 mark, give or take a hundred (but it’s all ‘ish’ & ‘about’ rather than dead on accurate).

I have lost a lot of weight but I’ve been doing this for 13 months, so the weekly loss would look negligable but it is part of my lifestyle now – I worked it out earlier at 0.8 lb per week, which sounds like nothing but is 42lb or 3 stone over a year and represents 2-3 dress sizes. That’s not nothing. Find a way to do this that will be comfortable for you in the long haul and wait a few weeks before you start worrying.

Hi Bryan,
    Thanks for your comments, well done on losing nearly 2 stone, if I can lose 2 stone in 2 months I will be a very happy man.
    I’m confident I will stick with the 5:2 plan as I find it relatively easy to fast all day just drinking water.
    Yesterday was my 2nd fast day, had nothing all day and in the evening didn’t really fancy anything to eat but had some strawberrys, but really only because they would have gone out of date otherwise ! Also had a handful of peanuts !
    This morning don’t really feel hungry at all, so had a couple of yogurts. Will probably have something for lunch today, not sure what yet though.
    Hi Tracy,
    Thanks again for your advice, my main problem I think is that i’m quite fussy with food, there is a lot of things I don’t like, mushrooms (yuk), seafood (yuk), cakes, cold meats, most green leaf except lettuce and probably lots of other things !
    What I need to find is someone else who eats stuff I like, is on this diet and finds it works for them lol.
    2/3 months ago when I last stepped on the Boots scales, I weighed in at 13st 6lb and when I started the 5:2 on Monday I weighed in at 12st 11Lb so; somehow i’ve managed to lose 9lb without knowing, apart from having to keep pulling my trousers up !
    Shame I don’t know what I was doing right 🙁
    Dave

Dave I honestly don’t think it matters what you eat, as long as you keep to the calories. My diet is probably way more ‘carby’ than most people on this forum. I hate seafood, don’t have time to prep a lot of veg (except once a week or so, when I tend to make a batch of individual freezer portions) and have never met a kale before. I don’t own the 5:2 cookbook and don’t intend to buy it. I eat all the same stuff I used to eat – I just went through all the ingredients when I first started this and made sure my portion sizes would add up to 500 calories. Now my only meal on fastdays is a bowl of branflakes a cuppa and a piece of fruit but all that calorie counting in the first few weeks means I always know roughly what I’m taking in the rest of the time too. It’ll work for you, just stick to the calories and give it some time.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.