Non fast Days.I would like to know what the best ratio fats/protein/carbs

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Non fast Days.I would like to know what the best ratio fats/protein/carbs

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Gayejohn 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• One week on diet, already lost some weight. Low fat, full fat,low carbs, high carbs, low protein or high protein. So much conflicting information. Guess I want to fast two days and eat healthy other days.

Hi Gaye and welcome:

On 5:2 you can eat any foods you want. Over time, you will decide on a diet that works for you. Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

I think counting macros is just as problematic as counting calories. It often just becomes an excuse to eat poorly or to eat supplements that some vendors push. There is an awful lot of junk food that is horrible for our health that can be fit into many counting schemes.

A simpler and probably lot healthier approach is just to avoid all foods with added refined sugar. This forces one to avoid most processed foods and is likely more effective for most people. At least it works well for me.

When I was using calorie restriction I had fit in a ice cream bar I liked into my daily allowance. At the time I was eating around 1800 to 2000 calories a day. At that time I was also doing greater than 500 calories cardio workouts almost daily. I wasn’t able to lose weight and in fact was slowly getting fatter which meant I most have been losing lean body mass. When I cut way back on foods with added refined sugar I ended up adding things like calorie dense nuts and fruit to replace things like the ice cream bar. My daily calories when well over 2000 calories a day and the fat started melting off. It was such a shock I start studying like mad and within six months had even started fasting. I now eat a lot more on a weekly basis but am about 12kg+ lighter. Much of the fat has been replaced by muscle and I feel great. My diet has shifted a lot and now it is much more plant based although I still eat diary, eggs and meat. My protein consumption averages less than 80g / day where I used to be well over 100g / day, but now I’m building muscles. It really isn’t just about the macros, it is more about overall nutrition. Foods of low nutritional value just don’t help much.

The one problem though is I find I often have to eat more food as a lot of nutritionally dense food isn’t very calorie dense. So I’ve been finding combo’s that are more filling, for example adding blueberries to oatmeal or chickpeas to a salad. Still I normally feel content and I no longer have so much hunger like I used too.

dykask has a lot of good points. Technically 5:2 as defined is much more about when you eat than what you eat. Of course making good food choices can and for me does make a big difference in health and fat loss. Like DY I eat a diet of whole unprocessed foods. Very low sugar/ starchy carbs, moderate protein and relatively high in healthy fats like nuts, olive oil, gee, eggs, sheep or goat cheese and yogurt and fat from grass fed animals. I eat lots of non starchy veggies for fiber and phytonutrients. I do not eat cow dairy, wheat or quinoa because I know they are inflammatory for me.

At 67 YO, I’m fit, lean, on zero meds and my BP and blood chems are stellar.

I agree with diverdog that you have to find the foods that work well for your body. We are all different and a diet that works wonders for me might not be great for someone else. For example I eat a lot of fruit because that just works well for me. There are people that have problems or even gain weight with too much fruit. However I think almost everyone benefits from avoiding processed foods.

Hi @gayejohn, Congrats! Have you had a health checkup or any diagnostic lab work done? The eating plan you choose may depend on how much weight you want to lose, but also what (if any) other objectives you have. Some people come to 5:2 with other health concerns such as pre-diabetes, heart health, concerns about cancer or auto-immune diseases, etc. Those concerns may drive your choice of the foods you choose and your best approach.

In addition to Dr. Mosley’s books, I found The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung very helpful. It helped me understand the effect of hormones on weight loss and gain and how they drive basic indicators like satiety and hunger. His focus is primarily on lowering blood sugar to normal levels and preventing insulin spikes that seems to be a major cause of insulin resistance over time. Having said that, there are people who do exceedingly well on a vegetarian diet, a vegan diet, and any number of variations of low-carb or Keto diets. You will also find people that never eat breakfast, that always eat breakfast, that never eat sugar or allow some sugar into their plan. You may have to tinker a little (as most of us do) to figure out what works best for you. That’s where the forum is so great! 🙂 The best plan is the one that you can sustain.

Thankyou, think lowering protein might be the answer to what I am looking for. Yes and avoiding the ice creams, maybe making almon ice cream with fruit maybe the answer for that sweet treat

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.