Non Fast Day Myths

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  coldpizza 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• In 2012 following years of yo-yo dieting I finally managed to get to my desired goal of 9st 4lb using the 5:2 method. In total I lost 2 stone but my weight did not drop off, it was an average of 1 pound per week, with the occasional 2 pounds and sometimes I stayed the same.
    Many people on here report little or no losses and very often get very disheartened and give up.
    There is much talk of eating what you like on non fast days but from my experience if I was to do that or even if I was to eat the so called average for woman of 2000, I would definitely put weight on.
    I can only tell you what worked for me and how I believe this worked.
    Like any diet, 5:2 is basically a reduction in calories over a period of a week resulting in a loss. If you take your total daily expenditure (TDEE) this is what you need to maintain your currant weight, so to lose any weight you need to reduce this over a period of a week. My TDEE is 1468 which over a week is 10276. By reducing my calories to 500 on my fast days I would be reducing my weekly total by 1936 (2 x 968). To lose 1 pound you need to reduce your calorie intake by 3500 calories so if I was to stick to my TDEE with two fast days of 500 calories, I am unlikely to lose 1 pound per week. What worked for me was aiming for a non fast day target of 1200 and 500 on my fast days which is a total of 7000, a weekly reduction of 3276, closer to my 1 pound a week target.
    I know that for some people 1200 calories a day seems like a low calorie diet but that is the only way that this worked for me. More calories would have resulted in no losses.
    The purpose of this post is to try and explain to some who are struggling, why I think that may be and what worked for me.
    I am a 57 year old female and I exercise 3 times per week.
    I am not sure how old or how large I would need to be to have a TDEE of 2000 calories.
    This is the only time in my life that I have managed to maintain my desired weight. I currently use the 6:1 method, fasting only on one day.
    Food for thought for some I hope 🙂

Thank you for your post. I’m new to fastdiet, having started a few days after Christmas. I am doing the 5:2 and consume 400-500 calories on fast days. I don’t specifically count calories on my nonfast days but I am eating a lot less than I used to and am only eating good foods. I have felt great so far. And have lost about 9 lbs. I’m 58 and have always been pretty active. I am feeling like I have more energy now than I have had in a long time.

Hi crofty, thank you for your post. I had recently crunched the numbers as you had done and concluded that I had to be more careful on those non-fasting days or the scales would not move.

Non-Fasting days are much more challenging to stay within my tdee of 1368. I find the food tracker on my fitbit really helps me to visualize the calories in vs out expenditure and stay the course.

I am the same age as you BTW and active too, very encouraged by your post as it confirms my thoughts and I will carry on, knowing I am in it for the long haul.

I use my fitness pal to record my daily calories. I also record my exercise on this but I do not add those worked calories to my daily totals. It is a long road but if you stick with it, you will see those great long term results. Good Luck 🙂

yes, a most helpful post, thanks Crofty.
    I can see where I erred on my first attempt at the 5:2, and am looking forward to sliding my s10 jeans back on, which have been buried in the top of my wardrobe now for about 3 years!

Great post. I totally agree. I’m 1 fast down and looking to stay within 1200-1300 calories on non-fasting days. I’m so happy to have found something that I think is doable and maintainable.

Dear Crofty. Thanks for your helpful post. I have only lost 5 pounds and have been on the diet for 8 weeks. I am female aged 53 and 6 foot so by my calculations using your example I need to keep my non fast day calories to 1999. This seems a lot but reduces my weekly calories by 3500. I’m assuming anyone needs to reduce by this amount to lose weight. I was feeling disheartened this morning when my weight had stayed the same but your post gives me New incentive to keep going. Thanks.

Hi Debsie:

This might help you understand why you don’t lose weight consistently – but that you will still lose: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/really-no-weight-loss/

Good Luck!

Dear Simcoeluv. Thanks for your info. Just got to keep going. Does exercise make some significant difference? I’m also using my fit bit to keep up with recommended daily steps.

@ debsie just started as well. I think the fit bit will help as well.

Hi Debsie:

You exercise for better health, but not for weight loss. If you want more information, the exercise link on this thread has it: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/. And no, you should not eat back your exercise calories!

Good Luck!

Dear Simcoeluv,

Thank you for your quick replies. My TDEE is high because of my height so I’m luckier than most. I hadn’t appreciated I need to watch my calories so much on my NODs. Not only that but reduce them too. I will have to get good at knowing caloric content of foods. I am determined to lose the weight even tho my BMI is within normal limits. This diet has also made me look at calories in everything I eat. Some foods are really caloric. Horrifying really. I needed to wake up to what I eat. Thanks again.

Thank you Crofty. Great post and great loss.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.