no weight loss to speak of

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
no weight loss to speak of

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  bigbooty 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

• Hi , I’ve been on the 5:2 diet for 6 weeks now. After a “hard fought” 3 weeks I lost 2lbs(total). I then went on holiday and ate normally for the 4th week. Unfortunately I went to Italy and indulged in some pasta,ice cream ,etc. not massively ,but I didn’t have any fast days either during this week.
    I came back and went back on 5:2 again for weeks 5 and 6 , and my weight now has not budged a bit. Could have I really have done so much damage whilst on holiday?.
    Also , I would also love to know what peoples idea of what ‘eating normally’ on normal days is?. I don’t pizza, masses of chocolate or drink loads of beer. In fact, I can safely say on normal days I don’t get anywhere near my 2400 calories max. Probably more 1500-1800, if that.

Hi Mike,

Are you counting calories or guessing how much you eat on non fast days?
    If you are guessing I suggest you count calories for a week or two, it is a real eye opener on how we tend to underestimate how much we eat.

As for what people eat on typical non fast days, why don’t you tell us what and how much you eat and maybe one of us can work out why you aren’t losing weight and give suggestions on how you can change things to get your weight moving in the right direction.

Ok, I don’t do a detailed calculation of what I eat on non fast days ,but I’m sure I don’t go over 1800. However , I will for the next 2 weeks. Might surprise myself!

Hi Mike,
    You might want to have a read through this and the linked threads: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/
    There’s a thread in there about what could be happening if you aren’t losing weight.
    The advice to keep track of what you are eating on non-fast days is sound, it’s amazing how easy it is to overlook things like calories from drinks (alcoholic and soft drinks/tea/coffee with sugar and milk), or the snacks you don’t even think about like cakes or biscuits at work. When you start tracking you may also find yourself shocked at how many calories are in some foods. I’ve had to resign myself to never eating sausage rolls again as they are crazy calories and I can’t justify it (550 cals for a Ginsters Sausage Roll). Hopefully the above will help you figure out what isn’t working for you.

Same here – I started logging everything in MyFitnessPal app and I was shocked to see how much I was eating. I gave up cheese twists, borwnie bars and triple chocolate muffins since using the app and lost almost 4 kg in 2 months.

Ok. Thanks everybody. Definitely going to try logging everything for a couple of weeks and see if it throws up some interesting results. My TFEE is 2300. So providing I don’t go over this on Non-fasting days , I should loose something ,right?
    Finally,as anybody done Michael Moseley’s minute and half frantic cycling HIIT routine to help move things along a bit? I’ve been doing this as well -another reason why it came as a surprise that I had lost nothing. Let’s see. !

If your TDEE is 2300 that is the maximum you should eat on non FDs.

5:2 is not a quick weight loss method, the average loss is around 1lb per week so keeping well within TDEE should help things along.

Exercise is great for fitness, toning and the boost it gives but contributes much less to weight loss than we would all like to believe, and it is often expressed as weight loss = 95% calorie restriction and 5% exercise.

If you stick to 5:2 and don’t over-eat on non FDs you will lose weight but don’t expect miracles. It takes a calorie deficit of round 3,700 calories to lose 1lb which is one of the reasons why exercise doesn’t contribute that much to weight loss, another being that food calories eaten does not equal exercise calories used, it is much more complicated than that.
    90 seconds of frantic cycling probably wouldn’t use up the calories in a mug of coffee.

The concept of TDEE is overly simplified. The concept of a calorie is overly simplified. Both can vary significantly for the individual involved and the foods they eat. If you attempt to run a calorie deficit two things can happen as your body adjusts: It can make up the shortfall from stored fat and this is what most people would like as you will loss fat and weight. Or the other possibility is that the body will reduce your required TDEE consumption. You lose no fat and weight. You run slightly colder, you feel slightly sluggish, your tired most the time etc. There the two options your body has. Which one it uses depends on the foods that you eat. Eat foods that spike insulin production and it has to opt for conserving fat and slowing you down and making you run colder. No fat loss. Eat foods that lower insulin levels and it will opt for burning fat. Now its not 100% one or the other but you get the idea. You want to heavily bias it to burning fat. So eat foods that do not spike insulin production.

bigbooty post is excellent. I was using portion control for years and I couldn’t get rid of my slowly growing gut, I was just barely maintaining a much higher level of weight. However after removing most of the added refined sugar from my diet my gut melted away over about four months. Over that period I even ended up eating more food at least by calorie count.

What you eat can have huge impacts.

Hi BigBooty
    Do you eat on your FD’s or just have liquids? Also on NFD’s do you stick mainly to small protein servings and lots of veg? I’m guessing you cut out all/most sugar, “white” foods (pasta, bread rice??) and all processed foods. Do you still eat fruit on NFD’s?
    THANKS

Thanks for the additional info bigbooty. At th risk of appearing stupid , when you say “eat food that don’t spike insulin production “, do you mean foods that contain excessive sugar like those mentioned above by BeIMc ?, and fruit ?

@belmc. I now only fast one day per week as I am in maintenance. 92kg down to 70kg (Male 178cm tall 56 yo.) My fast days have always been water only (I do allow 2 cups of coffee with a splash of milk, maybe 50 cal?). I just found that easier to do than worrying about 500/600 cal. But you need to find what works for you. It will be tough for about one month and after 6 months I found water fasting had become easy. The vast majority of my NFD foods are veggies, legumes, beans etc. I might have red meat once per week at most. Tuna in a salad maybe 3 times per week. I eat cheese nuts seeds high fat low sugar yogurt daily. I usually eat 1 or 2 tart apples daily. Usually berry type fruits daily. I might have other fruits occasionally. In maintenance I don’t think whole fruits are overly bad. Trying to lose weight Id have them sparingly.

I do not add sugar to anything. No fruit juice (pure junk), no processed grain based foods. No bread, pizza, biscuits, breakfast cereals (pure junk) etc. Well maybe a serve once per month depending where we are (eg friends house for dinner its rude) I don’t eat rice.

@mikef00. Yes. If your insulin is high in response to a glucose influx then there is virtually no way you will be able to access stored fats. Your body will be forced to slow your metabolism in response to your will power not to eat. Or your ghrelin production (hunger hormone generated by your stomach) will win out and you will cave in and eat.

Most processed grain based products have already been turned into maltose (two glucose rings) in your mouth before you’ve even swallowed. After entering your stomach they will have been turned into glucose. Damage done. Grain based foods are not healthy in my opinion. I don’t think whole fruits are overly bad but I would limit their consumption if your primary goal is weight loss. You can get all your micro nutrients from veggies.

Avoid starchy veggies like potatoes and sweet potatoes. Potatoes are worse than bread on a glycaemic index. Potatoes can be made “safer” by first cooking them and then freezing them overnight. It changes the molecular arrangement of the starches making them resistant starch. But who does that?

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Hi Mike,
    One additional thing I would say is don’t change too many things in one go as otherwise you won’t know which of them made the difference.
    Everyone here has a method that works for them, so pick what you want to try first and see if it works for you.
    Some people do a version of 5:2 where they don’t count calories but instead cut out or cut down on processed foods, sugars and carbs and do water only fast days. Some people count calories instead and eat 500/600/800 calories on a fast day and eat at TDEE on non fast days but don’t restrict food groups. If you look around the forums you’ll see people getting results from both. They key thing is to pick something that you think you can stick to long term and try that. If it doesn’t work for you try a different variant.
    Personally I’ve lost 15lbs in 14 weeks by eating 500-700 calories on fast days and tracking my food intake staying below my TDEE on non fast days. I still have bread at weekends, eat bananas, potatoes, pasta and fruit juice as part of my regular diet. I even have the occasional Nando’s including chips, just within the context of staying within my calorie limits. Personally I find this easier to stick to as I like my carbs.
    There is no right or wrong here, just what works for you.
    Also be aware that you can see quite significant weight fluctuations due to water weight, food in transit, post exercise inflammation. The important thing is to track your progress (either on the scale, using your measurements or fit of your clothes or a combination of all 3) over a period of at least 4 weeks to avoid over interpretations of fluctuations.

Ok. I now understand a little more. The diet seems slightly misleading in suggesting you can eat what you want on NF dates. I don’t think for a minute that anybody would gorge themselves on pizzas and chocolates on these days, but by the same token it seems you have to still have quite strict dietry limits. Luckily, the limits( at least for me ) are quite generous and I’ll log everything in MyFitnessPal for a few weeks and try stay well within my TFEE – 400 or so. I’ll also pay heed to bigbooty’s sugar advice. Hopefully better news to report in a few weeks!

Mike,
    have you read the Fast Diet book?
    The diet isn’t misleading at all. The book clearly states that no foods are forbidden and you can eat whatever you want (but not as much as you want).

You should bear in mind that all the advice given by posters on this website is personal opinion plus their own experience.

Some people are zealous with regard to giving up sugar and carbs and others are not.
    I haven’t given up anything but eat less potatoes, bread, rice, cake than before and I lost 68lbs. Having said that I’ve never been one for eating lots of processed carbs and I love cooking from scratch.

The only long term issue I have is compliance and it is a constant battle not to over-eat on non FDs but I know that I’ll never allow myself to become obese again as I am much happier, fitter and have so much more energy than before. I am not at goal yet and am determined to get there.

If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you have to make sacrifices and that means eating less in order to lose weight, making some changes to make your diet healthier and realising that the less you weigh the less food you need so you’ll never be able to go back to eating as you did before or the weight will go back on faster than you lost it.

Thanks @bigbooty. I’m not a big bread or cereal eater and can easily live without those but I do enjoy some fruit. Have a berry smoothie most mornings and an apple most days. Don’t have fruit juice so that’s not an issue for me either. However I love pasta and rice but have kept away from the pasta in particular as I find if I have it I crave it for next couple of days.(and it makes me feel bloated) Love dry white wine but am limiting it to weekends only..that was probably the hardest change for me as I did enjoy a glass or two after work most days. However I’m used to it now and drink tea instead.
    I agree with others that its about finding what works for you so that you can sustain the 5:2 way of life. I haven’t had to make huge changes to the type of food I eat so have not found it too difficult. I have been only doing this for a month but am losing weight at around half kilo a week. The benefit for me is not just weight loss but I am feeling so much BETTER! More energy, sleeping well, and improved concentration and thinking. Stick with it @mikef00, look forward to hearing your progress.

By the way @bigbooty that is an amazing result! My husband is 57 and 174cm and weighs 95 kg at the moment (has lost 3kg in the last month) He wants to get to 85 KG by end of this year.
    Will let him know your story. Thanks

@belmc. It took me a little over a year to lose my weight. So about 0.5kg per week. Wasn’t overly fast. Some people find my eating regimen way to strict. I personally don’t find it strict as I don’t think Im missing out on anything. Find something that works for you. The part that amuses me is when people ask for advice because 5:2 isn’t working for them. You make suggestions and they come back with “Oh no Im not willing to change my diet”. So what makes you magically think your results will change if youre not willing to change anything? You will find that as you eat healthier you will naturally start avoiding certain foods until one day you suddenly realise you don’t miss them at all. Im of Italian background and I virtually don’t have pizza and pasta anymore. Might have it once every couple of months and only when visiting my mum. Good luck with it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply.