No April Fools!!!!!

This topic contains 104 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Upagumtree 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 105 total)

• Welcome to April everyone 🙂 Lets have a fantastic month with great results 🙂

GOOD LUCK 😀

I am feeling happy at the start of this new month. Last day at work tomorrow and a nice long weekend for Easter. I’ve already been given a chocolate egg … but, its in my cupboard and will stay there until I feel I deserve it. I seriously need to see results and not have any low points in April.

Unfortunately I wont have internet access over the Easter weekend, I’m going camping … we have a VW Campervan and its my favourite way of spending time. Even if the weather is meant to be rubbish!

I’ll still stay on track with my diet, thats the luxury of your own camper, it has an oven and hob, on which I can cook what I want to eat, no restaurant food with who knows how many calories in.

Have a great day to anyone who joins this thread, the more the merrier!

Thanks for the name suggestion upagumtree 😀

Thanks for starting this thread Dragonfly and love the name. I’ll try not to be an April Fool this month. Thanks for the support from everyone, you get me through the disappointing times. Off to Aqua fit now and good luck to all

Morning all – I don’t suppose there’s room for a little one is there? (so to speak!!)

I’m on a mission this month. I have well and truly plateaued since Feb / early March. I had a loss last week which was great, but it was my birthday on Thursday and I definitely went over on my normal days. I fasted Monday and am fasting again today – if I’m feeling brave i might do my first ever 4:3 week and do another FD on Friday.

Hi Dragonfly, thanks for getting us going again. I’m on a fast day today but am finding it hard. Feeling a little lethargic today but have a ton of work to do so need to plough through it. Plus have French lesson tonight and def not firing on all cylinders.

I’m sure this is the month for you Dragon and camping is a good way to start (not that I could do it) I hope you do get some good weather. I agree 3xlucky that we should not be April fools. I’ll do my best.

Welcome Babs, of course there’s room. You been doing the diet a while, how have you done before you plateaued?

Right, back to work. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (for now)

Hello No April Fools!!

Dragonfly, thanks for setting up the thread and the April challenge. Hope to see some Mad Marchers dropping in here resolving to be sensible throughout the month and not be April Fools. Applepie, Socr8v Merryme how are you all doing? Magic, bienvenue to the new thread. Babs welcome, you sound fun!

ThirdTime glad you have a new resolve and fingers crossed you will start to see a downward trend. Here’s a mini challenge from me to you – “By Mon 13 April I will take on 2 of your pounds (but please no more … If you want to lose more give to a growing baby somewhere). Hope you understand my humour … do we have a deal? For any new reader, my last post in Mad March explains!

Dragonfly your campervan Easter Weekend trip sounds like fun – I do hope the weather isn’t rubbish! Here in Edinburgh the prediction is cloudy for Sat & Sun with temps of 11/12 degrees. Where are you headed?

I had a meal out last night using up a Groupon voucher before it expired. Do any of you do Groupon Itison etc? The restaurant deals are very tempting but not good for dieters! Anyway, this one was in a French Wine Bar – OH and I shared a very smooth bottle of red and a charcuterie and cheese platter with olives, salad and loads of lovely freshly baked French bread and butter. Usually I find shared platters a good starter! but, 12 weeks into the FD routine, I found this satisfied me for the whole evening (and we ate at 6pm). Now I know creamy French cheeses and fat-laden continental sausages are highly calorific and not diet fare but, since I had only an omelette for lunch I am sure, even with the wine, I was within my TDEE. This is what I love about this WOE!!!

Just in case I did go over my allowance yesterday I am on a semi-fast of 750 cals today and I have Pilates later (no dodging the class today). Tomorrow is our Wedding Anniversary so another meal out (Waldorf Astoria – very posh – and another voucher!) So I will be fasting on Friday this week.

Happy April everyone!

Up

Hi Ladies ! thanks Dragonfly for starting the thread ! hope you have a great weekend camping !

Third time April is going to be your month we all have our fingers crossed for you and each other.

Welcome Babs happy belated birthday, and i agree magicarp let there be no April fools amongst us.
    Upagumtree ( your name alone makes me smile ) the food sounds delicious my mouth waters, Happy anniversary for tomorrow and enjoy the Waldorf make sure you have your best frock on sounds like a very posh affair !

On a final March note I was on my fast day yesterday till my friend turned up with a smartie mcflurrie , snack size thank god, anyhow long story short it wopped up 390 cals ( so don’t be trying one ) so my fast day turned into a semi fast at 760 cals was starving last night. Back on track today though new month new goals new attitude !

happy april fools day and here’s to a great fat loss month !

Hi All, thank Dragon Fly for the new thread. Let’s hope none of us become April Fools. I have had B2B fasts, the 2nd day being liquids only, which again was dead easy, I never felt hungry at all. It is just the ritual of mealtimes that you miss.

Today is another day and we are celebrating. It is our 3 year anniversary of finding this house, our dream home in the sun. Steak and chips for tea, with a quality red wine. And I don’t care!

Upa – hope you enjoy Egypt as much as we did. A little Arabic lesson, some words that will come in handy
    Shokran = Thank you
    Mafish Fluss = I haven’t got any money
    Helua howie = Very beautiful
    Iowa = Yes
    Laha = No

Happy Fasting wherever we all are 🙂

Hi upagumtree. Ok would love to take on your challenge 2lbs off by 13 th April. I would be reluctant to give them to you though, even though you will be in Egypt. Think of all that hot sun making you sweat the pounds away. Happily give lbs to a growing baby (don’t know any, but you can pass them on) had a great time at Aquafit today. Played all the sixties songs I grew up with so we had a singalong as well as getting fit. Darling son sent me new trousers for my hols size 14 and guess what, they are loose – very loose. Just at that in between size at the moment. Will hang on to them though as I am sure I will expand a bit with all that lovely SA WINE. Hi Babs, welcome to the plateau – look back and enjoy the view (mine has been a 6.5lb loss since starting, but we’ll soon be going down the mountain again. Hang in there! Thanks all for the encouragement from everyone, I am determined to be a No April Fooler. Have a great loss this month everyone

Fab ThirdTime – it’s a deal! … I will give you a cyber smack on your fat bum if you don’t come up trumps on 13 April!! If I sweat any pounds away in Egypt they will be water pounds and not fat pounds … I know what I am in for and hope 2 pounds is a reasonable estimation of (fat) weight gain! Sorry don’t know any growing babies – just you wish them on to any out there!!!! Glad you enjoyed your Aquafit – sounds like they have geared your session for your age group. Had I been there, I too would have been singing along with the sixties … and known all the lyrics! Your gift of new trousers from your son! Lucky you! … And a size 14 loose!!! For all my 12 lb weight loss since starting this regime I am still fitting into size 14 trousers – all my weight has come off bust, shoulders, thighs and hips but my stomach and waist resolutely refuses to budge! I have had to buy new bras (34b from 36b) and new summer tops (size 12 from size 14), even new dresses (size 12 from sizes 16 & 14) BUT cannot reduce my trouser size from 14 … and have loads which are 16!! Ah well, we are all different and all shapes and sizes. I am definitely a pear shape!!

Apple, glad you’ve switched from Mad March too and joined us here. Thanks so much for the Arabic lesson – will keep these phrases handy. Hope you enjoyed your romantic “3rd year anniversary” today!

Socr8v, also welcome from Mad March to the new thread. Next time, tell your not-so-smart friend what to do with her Smartie McFlurrie!!!! Good for you to now have in your mind new month, new goals/attitude – keep to it girl!

Magic, You sounded exhausted today! Hope you managed to “keep to the fast” and that your French lesson was not too arduous!

I am trying to keep my posts shorter now as I realise I am the biggest poster in the group – so, bit like my waistline, I am trying to make it smaller!!

Up

Wonderful that so many have joined, welcome everyone 😀

Upagumtree dont keep your posts smaller, I love reading them! That goes for everyone, I’m loving our support group.

I’m going camping at a place called Wyreside Lakes, its near Lancaster, so not too far away from home. I don’t think the weather is going to be brilliant, but its a break from routine which I am really looking forward to.

I’ve decided that after this break, I am seriously cutting out wine in the week. Its my downfall. I did it before and was losing, I’ve been sneaking the odd glass each night now, and the sugar is obviously keeping me at this weight. Not good. I’m going to allow it this weekend though 😉

Good luck everyone, I’ll try and check in later today to see how you’re all getting on. I will be off then until Tuesday, but will tell you everything about my camping trip!

NO APRIL FOOLS IN THIS THREAD 😀

Oh, totally irrelevant to my diet, but I just tried a new perfume out in Boots on the way into work, Escada .. Turquoise Summers, its divine. I love perfume, makes me happy 🙂 just need to be able to afford to buy it lol

Our celebration meal went very well. One good thing, I couldn’t finish the steak so my stomach must have shrunk. But had a tad too mucho vino. I got up this morning thinking I must put the photo on Facebook and when I looked it was already there! I have no recollection of doing that last night, it’s a miracle that what I wrote made sense.

I am going to turn the left over steak into a stir fry tonight, with pasta, yes pasta. I haven’t cooked pasta for months and for someone who has lived in Italy that is so painful. I love pasta.

Then tomorrow we are invited to the Presidents BBQ (the President of our urb, not the country haha!) I am not worrying, if nothing else it gives my skin time to catch up.

Happy fasting!

Ah thanks for the warm welcome and the birthday wishes you guys – aren’t you a lovely lot?! Well I’ve had two good FDs this week (Mon & Weds), step on the scales this morning and I have gained 1lb. It is (sorry) that time of the month, so I am praying this is just a bit of hormonal water weight.

Thirdtime – Why thank you, the plateau ledge is becoming quite comfy! I started in mid January – I’ve lost 7lb so far, it was 8lb before this week’s gain… Before last week, I hadn’t lost any weight or inches since Mid Feb! My inch loss still hasn’t moved since mid Feb either. Having said all this, I’m technically not overweight for my height, although I know I am a TOFI, so maybe I need to just be patient. Either way, I’m still fasting well and enjoying it so I’m not planning on changing my way of living in that respect, I just think it’s worth another close look at my normal days. I do track cals and come in under my TDEE during the week, it’s the weekends that do me in. (Wine, big dinners, the odd bacon sarnie – you know the score)!

Applepie – congratulations on your home anniversary. Steak, chips and red wine sounds amazing!!

Dragon Fly – I got a new perfume sample with my normal perfume last week, it’s a new Versace one, I’m wearing a spritz from the tester today and I love it. I say treat yourself (or better still get someone else to!!).

Ooh Dragonfly, I too have a weakness for perfume and can’t resist buying when on holiday, so will look out for that one when in Duty-free on Monday!

Apple, hope you enjoy your pasta tonight and the BBQ tomorrow, but go steady with the vino – you don’t want to fall over in front of the President! What is an urb?

Your comment Socr8v re my name making you smile has compelled me to tell you about my nickname Upagumtree. When I first signed in I tried the name “Up” but it wasn’t allowed – perhaps too short or someone else out there had that name already. My reasoning for the name was 1) I was “up” in terms of weight 2) I felt “up” in terms of determination to succeed on this regime 3) feel I am an “up person” in terms of attitude of mind, sociability and positivity. So, having to extend my nickname from Up, I became Upagumtree – at that moment in time I was up in weight and also “in difficulties” – which up a gum tree means. I also chew gum (sugar free) a lot having given up smoking years ago. Ironically, since starting posting on this forum I have been diagnosed with High Blood Pressure, hence another Up … and so in more difficulties!! So there you have it! … Upagumtree!!! I actually don’t like the name as I don’t think it represents my normal self as I am not often in difficulties. Wish I could change it to something softer like “downtoearth” but don’t think you can change your name once registered.

Would be interested to hear how all your nicknames came about!!

I will be busy from now in the lead up to off on Monday, so this will be my last post for a while. However I will have 4 hours hanging around at Heathrow on Monday afternoon (flying there from Edinburgh to connect with Egypt flight) so might pop in then, if I can get a signal!

Happy Easter weekend everybody !

Up xx

Hi Up, urb is urbanisation. A collection of about 60 houses, centred round a communal pool. Every urb. has a President, and we all pay community fees for the upkeep of the shared areas of pool, gardens etc. Knowing our President, he is more likely to fall over in front of me rather than vice versa haha!

Happy Easter x

Hi and Happy Easter to everyone. Oh dear Upagumtree – I have gone and dropped 1.3/4lbs before you even go away on holiday!! Yeh!!! So sorry (not)! At last I’m off the plateau ledge – take note Babs. That has been a full three weeks of not losing anything so delighted with todays results. Just 3.3/4lbs to go now by the end of the month. I haven’t budged from the diet and exercise regime and it shows that it does work, though sometimes very slowly. I think we live in such a fast demanding age we (I) expect things to happen overnight. PATIENCE will get you there, and ditching those high calorie throat sweets!
    OH is on the plateau now, he has just 1.1/2lbs to lose to target. He doesn’t count calories at all and loves his homemade bread slathered with honey. I suggested he cut it down by half but he wasn’t impressed so he will do it his way. Luckily he eats the lo cal foods I give him and is happy too, so I am not fighting anyone at mealtimes.
    Enjoy your easter break camping Dragonfly, last time I camped was in my teens. Rolled against the wall of the tent during a thunderstorm at night and was soaked to the skin and frozen. Put me off camping for life!
    Don’t have anything special happening over Easter Weekend so no excuse for big meals. Might indulge in a glass of wine, but determined now to hang on to my weight loss and not put it back on. Have a great weekend all…

Brilliant work Thirdtime. I jumped on the scales just a short while ago and am pleased to announce I’m lighter today compared to yesterday (2lb down) and yesterday was a normal day. This is just the inspiration I needed to not eat too much choccie this weekend! Your hubbie’s bread & honey sounds lush. I was tempted to bake some hot cross buns today but am going to resist the urge!!
    Wishing everyone a lovely weekend

Happy Good Friday All. Great to see everyone on here from before, I don’t think there is anyone missing is there? Well I have not been a complete fool but did decide to get over my exhaustion on my fast day by having a bar of dark chocolate! Put my cals up to about 800 and I did a 1000 day yesterday to make up for it. Result, one pound down so the number 10 has appeared on the scales again. I need to keep seeing that special little number to keep me motivated but I know it will be tough this weekend. Off for a thai tonight with the fam, as son is back from Ireland. Then more family arrivng from oop north so festivities will follow over the weekend. We will be having a long walk around Chatsworth House Gardens on Sunday but this will be followed with sunday roast and probably Bakewell pudding.

Upagum, I agree with Dragonfly,don’t restrict your posts, they make me laugh. I loved your threat of a cyber smack on the bottom! I’m gonna keep that in mind if I get tempted. Hope you have a great time on hols and pick up some nice perfume, my fave at the mo is Diamond by Armani.

Well done on the weight loss up to now Babs, you’ve done great and it’s goo to hear 3rdxlucky that patience pays off. I am not very patient at all so need to be aware of that message, thank you.

Enjoy the bbq with Mr President Apple, sounds like a good community event.

BTW, my name is a pet fish that my kids had, it was named after a Pokemon, we also had a rabbit called Peekachoo!

May not get to post till after the bank hols but will try. Good luck with resisting the easter eggs. xx

Fabulous EASTER Sunday weather , reached 23 degrees with us. First day of the year out in the garden doing some serious tidying up and actually got a bit of a tan! Went for a long walk in the afternoon at The House of Dun. Tried to buy a Magnum but they had sold out – saved! Called in at Brechin Castle plant centre on the way home and they had sold out of ice cream too! Def not meant to have one. Afraid I had a Viennese Whirl instead with a cuppa. Cassoulet for dinner then finished off with 5 dark chocolate covered Brazil nuts (my EASTER egg) then half a hot cross bun slathered in butter. The ‘sod it demon’ got a hold of me so I hope he hasn’t put me back on that bloody plateau. (Well done Babs btw for getting off it)
    FD today – sun is shining again so back in the garden then another walk this afternoon. Poached salmon and salad for dinner.
    WEEMAN IN WEIGHTLOSS – read that your town is the Gateway to the Highlands – are you in Kirriemuir ? If so am only about 8 miles away. Could meet for coffee sometime if you feel like it.

Good start to April for me. Despite overindulging in wine, BBQ buffet food, roast dinners etc, I lost a pound, one big fat pound!

Champagne and cake this afternoon with our Spanish neighbour, we just couldn’t say no, you should have seen his face. Then fasting tomorrow.

I am hoping for 2lbs this week. How is everyone else doing?

Hi All, Sitting at boarding gate at Heathrow so not much time. Had a lovely flight down this morning in gorgeous sunshine all the way. Hasn’t the weather (in UK) been fab for Easter! Wow everyone has done so well! Magic well done and thanks for info re your pet fish. Thirdtime and Babs well done to get off plateau. Being called, catch up next week. PS I can add to the losses with a weigh in this morning at 9st 8 so that’s a 2 lb loss – made up for last week’s 1lb gain!

Hi Ladies,

Well done on your losses ! Third time and babs yay for you both being off the plateau but afraid to say the demon had a hold of me also this weekend glad to say though that i am down a pound also !

Was hoping to fast today but we are out tonight for hubby’s birthday so i will fast tomorrow, may even try to get in a 3rd fast this week to make up for all the crap i ate over the weekend. So difficult to stay on track when you eat at friends homes (which we did on two days) and they have chocolate out everywhere and a big birthday cake for hubby. Probably didn’t eat as much as what i would normally of done but none the less i ate some.

keep up the good work! off to do a 8km walk now get some calories burnt off !

Hope everyone had a fantastic Easter 🙂 Well done on everyones losses, thats brilliant.

My camping trip away was amazing, so relaxing and I enjoyed every second of it. I did go a bit over the top with the wine, but am off it now and limiting it to weekends only and, only a few glasses! Its my downfall.

Back at work today, but feeling positive.

Good luck with the day … i’m on a non fasting day today but plan on lots of walking at luchtime. The weathers been wonderful this weekend 🙂 Hope it carries on.

Morning All. Sounds like everyone had a fab easter. We have had a lovely few days but hectic with family here. Seems like we have done nothing but eat and drink and be merry. But that’s what life is for eh? Don’t know how some of you have managed to lose some over the weekend, I’ve put a couple back on 🙁 so the magic number 10 has disappeared from the scales, TEMPORARILY!!
    weather been so lovely, glad your camping trip went well Dragon. Hope you have a great trip Upagum.
    I worked my little butt off in the garden yesterday so hope that would negate some of the extra calories but never mind, back on the fast today making friends with my hunger again. Going to keep in mind the cyber smack if I get tempted to stray.
    Best wishes all.

Glad you had a nice Easter magicarp, and hope your fast day went well yesterday.

I was a non fast day, although was really pleased with how I did. I had a really long walk at lunch time, and resisted the wine in the evening. Although it was so tempting given that my other half was drinking it! He’s so supportive of me though, so it doesnt both me that he drinks wine in the evening. He’s a perfect weight for his height and can drink wine and not worry about the calories. Not fair, but never mind!

Today I plan to do the same, low cal and walk at lunch. No wine again as I’m trying to limit it to a few glasses at weekend. I know if I can keep it up I will feel better and lose pounds.

Wednesday already, I love these short weeks 😀

Enjoy the day everyone, and stay strong!!!!!!!

Hi Dragonfly, guess everyone else is off holidaying while we go back to the grind stone. (not that I work that hard). Fast went ok, just a little over, doing another tomorrow and busy planning the weekend food to make sure we don’t resort to a takeaway on Saturday night. We’re going to see Chester university were my daughter hopes to go in September so won’t be back until late. I have identified this as a takeaway temptation risk hour so am making a yummy red wine stew (Jamie Oliver recipe) tomorrow and we can just heat it up and have with garlic bread. Oh, and the red wine left over from making the stew. So tomorrow I will have my thai fish broth with is very low cal but tasty and satisfying, just what you need on a fast.

You are doing great at resisting the wine Dragon, alcohol is tough but I used to find that once I had had one I kept going back for more, so only drink at weekends now. I don’t miss it now I have got used to the idea and my head is clearer each morning. My OH is supportive but also never really puts weight on, he has a little paunch but I do mean little and he can eat biscuits, chocolate, coke, beer and it doesn’t affect him! I’d be the size of a house if I ate like him. I’m loving the short weeks too, I’m sure I used to get more done when I worked four days anyway.

Keep it up, you’re doing great, oh and well done on the lunchtime walking, makes it easier in this weather eh?I’ll keep posting tomorrow if I get tempted to stray from my fast. TTFN chucks xx

Hi everyone – how are we all doing? Good work on the forward planning magicarp – that sounds like the perfect alternative to a takeaway too. Also, I might have to ask you to share the recipe / brand of the thai fish broth you have on a FD. I find I’m much better having mainly liquids on a FD. I hope the university visit goes well!

Dragonfly & Magicarp, I hear you both on the alcohol issue! If I’ve not had a boozy weekend I lose so much more weight. I too try to limit what I drink now, and only drink at the weekends too. My OH doesn’t really drink at all so I don’t have that temptation, but I do still enjoy a glass of wine with my dinner at the weekends.

I had Tuesday and Thursday as my FDs this week. On Tues I think I went over slightly – it was all going well until about 10am, when I had a call to say my sister had given birth to my niece and then within half an hour my father in law was on the phone needing to be rushed in to hospital, the poor soul. So I spent a lot of the day rushing around to two different hospitals in two different counties. By the time I got to my sister to see my little niece I was feeling pretty wobbly (I hadn’t eaten all day – had been saving my cals for dinner) so ate a custard tart at the hospital! I didn’t have dinner when I got back but I am pretty sure that tart was a good 500 cals in itself (there was no label on it), and I’d had a couple of cups of tea and some extra strong mints during the day.

Yesterday was much better food-wise, but I was racked with nerves as the father in law was in having surgery for hours. I helped stave off the hunger! Thankfully he is ok, but it was an anxious wait.

So, with all that I stepped on the scales this morning and I have managed to shift the lb I put on over Easter, so I am back in the 9stone somethings, and I have also lost half an inch off my waist and hips, which I am over the moon at because I haven’t shifted anything from my measurements since February!!

I’m hoping to get a little swim or a long walk in over the weekend too. My dance class is currently on easter break so I need to do something to keep my exercise levels up!

Anyway, enough of my ramblings… Have a brilliant weekend everyone!

Well done Babs for getting into the 9s. I’ve managed to screw up and put my 1.3/4 lb loss last week back on again. It seems I can’t e en have a little treat now and again without paying the penalty. Feel rotten today but guess I will persevere . OH has stayed the same so he’s still on the plateau with 1 lb to lose to target. I can feel that cyber slap from UP all the way from the Nile so had better get my act together . Good luck everyone.

OMG!!! Babs, what a roller coaster you have been on, the last thing you need to worry about is a diet on those days. I’ll bet you burnt all cals off and more with running around and the anxiety. Hope your father-in-law is well on the mend. And congratulations on a new niece, is this your first as aunty? What is she going to be called? How much does she weigh (yikes, measuring her weight already). Hope we have this silly diet culture sorted out before she grows up. But obviously all info needed when a new baby arrives. Your story brought back memories of the birth of my daughter nearly 20 years ago (YIKES) The day after I gave birth my lovely father-in-law went into intensive care and needed a heart bypass. Thankfully he recovered but we were beside ourselves at the time as we were miles away and of course I couldn’t travel.

You must be doing well though Babs to be in the 9stone area, I’m still 11stone which I know at 5’8″ isn’t big but I feel it and some of my fave clothes are tight so that must be remedied. I’m fasting today and finding it a struggle but feel determined at the moment, so fingers crossed.

Thirdtime, sorry to hear you feel rotten, it’s not even 2lbs, please don’t be so hard on yourself. I put 2lb back on over the easter break too but I had a fab time with family. Weight cannot be the only thing in life and have you seen the news today? Apparently, being overweight can protect you from developing dementia!! So, ok, we might be a bit lardy but at least we can remember where the fridge is!!!

Babs, forgot to add thai broth recipe. I use gourmet garden herbs in a paste.(but any pastes should do)
    Lemongrass, ginger, coriander, garlic and chilli. I tend to mix them all together by just squirting a load into a bowl I don’t measure but use more of the mild herbs. So, big blob of coriander, lemongrass, ginger, smaller blob of garlic and even smaller of chilli (unless you like it hotter). Put half in a pan with about a pint and a half of water and veg stock, I use Marigold (which makes a lovely drink BTW) Simmer for 10mins and then leave to infuse for half an hour or longer. Strain through a sieve. YUM! I cook my spring veggies in it and noodles in for fam. With the other pastes I spread it on chicken or fish, wrap in parcels and steam for 15mins. Then pile it on the veg/noodles. Really easy and satisfying.

Recipe sounds amazing magicarp! I’ve been rustling up some lentil dhal on my FDs (a Bill Grainger recipe) which is lovely but fancy a change. I’ll be giving that a bash.

It’s my second time as an aunt with my side of the family, and mine & OH’s 6th niece / nephew overall. Christmas is starting to get very pricey! She was 8lb 11oz and is called Annalie. They’re both doing really well, and my little nephew is over the moon at becoming a big brother. (He won’t be saying that in a few years I’m sure!). Your ordeal sounds awful Magicarp, I bet that was horrible not being able to get there. It’s so horrible when a loved one is taken ill, and especially when it’s something so sudden and out of the blue.

Thirdtime, I also put on just over a pound over the past week or so. I’ve just about managed to shift it back off again, keep sticking with it. You’ll be off that plateau again before you know it. I found your post last week about getting off the plateau very inspiring, keep on going, you’ll be feeling those same feelings again in no time. I agree with Magicarp entirely, you had a good weekend, this is a plan for life. It’s not even 2lb, you will get rid of them!

Hi Ladies glad you all made it through the Easter weekend and with minimal damage to the weight loss goals. I went a little over on both my fast days this week but hey thats life !

The weekends are a killer for me with the wine can’t just have one ! but then i don’t drink in the week so i let loose a little on the weekend ! mind you i find now that after 2 glasses i’m feeling a little merrier easier than when i would normally have 3 or 4.

Congrats Bab’s on your new niece and such a pretty name. Magicarp you crack me up love reading your posts and now i am thankful for being lardy ! i mean who wouldn’t want to know where the wine is stashed lol !

Hope you all have a great weekend !

Hi All. Babs, what a lovely name for your niece and wow, quite a big baby. I got a new niece in October, called Honey Penny, she is a cutie. She’s my 6th niece on my side and there’s three nephews. Another 5 niece/nephews on OH side. So 14 altogether so I know what you mean about Christmas Babs!! Best start shopping now. I love lentil dhal, would love recipe if you get a min.

Hi Socr8v, sounds like you’re becoming a cheaper date with the wine! I can only manage 2 glasses now or I really suffer but that’s a good deterrent for me. Those little bottles are handy for keeping it light and with summer coming I like a white wine spritzer with soda and ice. Good way of keeping it low. I wish more half bottles were available here like in France, they are just right for me and means that you can open a bottle of good quality red without worrying it will go off. I had rioja last night, half the bottle went in the stew and the rest in my glass. Good compromise. Glad I amuse Soc, I love the thought of us all being old and a bit forgetful but knowing exactly were the wine is! 🙂 I also went over on my fast day but hoping to get two proper ones in this week. Monday and wednesday, the bank hols mess up the routine a bit. (Although I think we should have more)

Off out into the windy garden now to pull up some weeds. TTFN xxx

Congratulations on your niece Babs 🙂 I love the name too. Hope your father-in-law is getting better now. I agree the rushing around will have burned heaps of calories!

I’m fasting today, and am 100% dedicated. Food wise over the weekend I’ve done okay, although feel I’ve had too much salt 🙁 feeling very bloated this morning, which is uncomfortable. Water all day for me, and then vegetable soup later. I’m meeting my son in McDonalds after work (he works there) I sit and have coffee with him when he’s on his break. I WILL resist the temptations that will await me there!

Have a good day everyone, whether your fasting or whatever.

Lets rock this week!

FD for us today. Did really well over the weekend and without really trying stayed under my TDEE. OH talked me into an ice cream when in St Andrews on Sat,, but it was a small one, and a well made local one. (To be honest he didn’t have to twist my arm. ) Post from simcoeluv has reassured me about eating less/more, so will try and relax a bit more. Trying two boiled eggs for breakfast instead of porridge as I got quite hungry through last FD . Then Mimi’s recipe for prawns and noodles for dinner tonight. Had to laugh at being Lardy and knowing where the fridge is Magicarp, there are days when I def feel Lardy! Congrats Babs on baby Annalie, lovely name. Hope FIL is on the mend. I don’t have any little ones to dote on yet. ( that I know of anyway) Only son is on his own for now, think our divorce has put him off, but I live in hope. Sun is trying to shine in Bonnie Scotland so will get a walk in today. Fingers crossed the weight I put on last week has disappeared.. Tomorrow will tell all. Stay strong to everyone fasting today. We can do it!

Congratulations Babs, what a lovely name! Your lentil dahl sounds interesting, any chance of the recipe?

My Monday weigh in showed the 2lb drop I was hoping for …….. Yes!! I still get amazed and delighted by how well this WOL works. Aren’t we all lucky to have discovered this?

Onwards and downwards!

My FD went really well yesterday 🙂 I’m so on this now. My boyfriend’s sister gets married in August, I want a new dress for the occasion and I want to feel comfortable and tiny in it! It would be amazing to get one a few sizes smaller than my normal size 🙂

Stay strong!

Hi All, sounds like you are all doing really well. Well done. I on the other hand I have messed up this weekend and my fast yesterday bombed so felt very depressed, bought a big piece of cake (and one for OH) and went to see him at work to tell him all about it. I had been watching the programme Secret Eaters and have realised that is me! So I went to confess over cake and coffee. Bless him he was great and made me laugh about it.
    I think that the diet has got the better of me psychologically and I obsess about food on a fast day and on the day before a fast so I have over compensated on those days or given in on FD around midday-3pm, which is crazy and frustrating because half the time when I give in I’m not even hungry I just want something. Anyway, I really don’t want to give in as I know this works and I only need to lose about 8lbs so it even seems a bit pathetic writing this. I think I’m also doing the rebelling thing of well I look fine so sod it and then sabotage my own plan. Doh!!! The human mind! It is my habit to over complicate everything.

My sister has been doing well at slimming world and I thought about joining her but; I refuse to pay to eat less, I don’t want to be weighed by a stranger and I don’t want to follow a plan every day (because I know I won’t). So, I intend to start again!! Tomorrow will be a fast day and I will try to be a little more positive. Sorry for my little rant folks.
    Going to the Lowry tonight to see Caitlin Moran, so should be laughing all the way home. I’m sure she would have brilliant feminist rant on this situation.TTFN xx

Hello everyone. April is going well for me. I started FD in mid February but had already started a bit of a plateau by the end of March. But I’m sticking with my new dietary choices = low GI veggie on eat days and something from the FD recipe or cook book on fasting days. I ate my two smallish Easter eggs with no guilt, fasted on Bank Holiday Monday until the family came over and we all had food from a superfood menu I had prepared. This week I seem to have dropped a few pounds in weight! Happy indeed!!

Hi Magicarp – you feel like I felt like last week. I think for me it’s an obsession thing. I really was over thinking what I should be doing and realise now I was so uptight I couldn’t possibly be objective, and tensed muscles don’t do any favours. What I did was get the Docs books out again and stuck to it to the letter. Leaving out mostly carbs and sugar which I don’t do anyway, I went back to basics, and lo and behold 1lb gone, 1″ off my waist and 1/2″ off my neck. I iniatially had that sod it attitude and had a blow out, but if I’m honest , didn’t enjoy the food and felt awful afterwards. I’m impatient, and like things to go the way I think they should. I have to accept that this living breathing thing which is my body, is a miraculous thing, and given the right tools, will look after me in its own way, in its own time. So, I’m trying hard to give it the tools and the time. Don’t give up Magicarp (and others) it works if you work it! We’re all here for you.

Magicarp – read your post and totally sympathise with you. I lost all the weight I needed to via Weight Watchers but felt my life was permanently a diet there after. I have come to this with a new view. I have read all the FD books and reopened my Rose Elliot’s low GI vegetarian diet book. I have utterly changed my eating. I don’t count calories and just stick to the principles Elliot advocates in her book. This is working for me like never before. My glucose levels must be under control now as I don’t ever feel really hungry and thoroughly enjoy eating the stuff I have. I treat with homemade bread or cake at the weekend and even keep a small bar of chocolate in the cupboard for fed up moments! Try going radical and starting again with your eating habits. Weight loss is steady but I’m happy and feel I can stick to this life style change. Good luck to you x

Well done Apple pie and Third time lucky on your losses i also had a 2lb loss so thrilled ! i have been walking at least 8km 5 days per week and i can see my shape changing.
    Dragonfly sounds like your on track and focused i too would love to be wearing something a couple of sizes smaller for my Uk trip, will be seeing old friends i have not seen for 13 years so really want to look as good as can be.
    Magicarp DON’T give in you can and will do this we all have our moments i sure have mine…wish i only had 8 pounds to go keep plodding on though those last few are always the hardest.
    Hi Adele05 glad you are on track sounds like you have it all figured out i also keep the small kitkats in the fridge for my desperate chocolate cravings just knowing they are there helps lol ! well stay strong stay focused and fast on !

Magicarp I totally understand what you mean about obsessing about food on fast days. With me its the non fast days that are harder, because I then start to obsess about what I’ve eaten, counting calories, and promising myself that tomorrow will be a fast day. Even if I keep it low cal I feel sometimes that I shouldnt be eating, its so hard to explain really. I think at the end of the day I prefer how I “feel” at the end of a fast day, although to do too many fast days would end up in me stuffing everything I can get my hands on, I can only fast for so long!

Socr8v great job on the 2lb loss! Walking is so good, I really need to do more.

Third time lucky … I agree that with the right tools we can look after out bodies in the right way, and they will reward us in the long term 😀

Adele05 .. sounds like your doing really good! I think I too need to get over the counting of calories and just focus on the principles. I know this diet works if done properly.

Good luck everyone, have a great day … WE CAN DO THIS!!!

On another note, I’ve had no wine for the last two nights and am drinking so much water I feel I’m drowning lol. Much less bloated though, so feeling happy 😀 Keeping my non fast day as low as I can today, and then fasting tomorrow, Thursday!

Hi All. Thank you soooooooooo much for the support. It does help and means a lot. Thirdtime, such wise words, sounds like we have a similar psychology and need to keep reminding ourselves not to self destruct. And it is true that you don’t enjoy the food you binge on, I felt sick after the cake I ate! Thanks Adele for the support, I’m not a veggie but do like a lot of veggie recipes so if you have any faves. Well done on your WW journey, but like you say, who wants to be on a diet everyday for the rest of their life?

And yes Dragonfly, on non fast days I often feel bad about eating, if we can overcome these thoughts it should be a breeze! Well done on the wine abstinence.

Today is a FD and I intend to reach a new level of serenity (along with my celery)
    Not giving up. Thanks again chucks. TTFN x

I too refuse to be on a diet for the rest of my life, but I am happy at the thought of continuing this WOL for evermore. I enjoy my food, and wine. I don’t miss the gin and tonics or crisps (much) I know they weren’t doing me any good. If I really wanted a G&T with a few crisps I would have them, but I haven’t wanted them that badly yet.

I find fast days easy, they have re-educated me on calorie values and healthy eating so I now eat so much better on non fast days.

My scales this morning showed a ridiculous 8 stone something. I almost laughed out loud. Good job I don’t take them seriously. It was after a 400 calorie fast day and a liquids only day, so artificially low.

I am eating today. Chilli and rice for tea, with a french stick, and red wine. No guilt whatsoever. I love my food, and my fast days. This WOL works so well for me.

Happy fasting everyone!

Hi Guys, I’m back from Egypt!! Just catching up on the huge amounts of posts since I left last Mon. (No signal in Egypt so been unable to post my encouragements).

Since so much has been happening I cannot single out any one poster, so will just say well done to the losers and keep going to the gainers!

My post-holiday update: First thing I did on return from hols Mon night was to step on scales and it read 10 st. Yikes I thought, but knew a lot of it was fluid – day 2 in Egypt saw swollen ankles, days 3 onward had addition of mosquito bites which were fluid filled. However yesterday morning weighed in at 9 st 11. (Could see my ankle bones again!) This makes a gain of 3 lb over the holiday week which is more than I expected but still within the realms of acceptability. Had a fast day yesterday – very hard after a week of feasts of 3 meals a day and succumbed to consuming one of the bottles of Egyptian wine bought in Duty Free. Am having a semi fast today to make up. Yesterday I did the Sainsbury weekly shop and stocked up with lots of veg and fresh fruit.

Update on the holiday – was fab, fab! Were treated like royalty the whole trip. Was thinking of you all as I lazed on deck with palm trees passing by and a hunky Egyptian waiter asking “Would you like a drink madam?” There were 12 passengers on board and 12 friendly crew. We all got on very well. The food was delightful – buffet breakfasts and lunches and silver service dinners. The fare was very healthy – lots of fresh vegetables and masses of fresh fruit (all local). Meats were mainly chicken, duck and beef and fish was freshly caught from the Nile and to die for! If it weren’t for the number of meals a day you could actually keep within your TDEE if you skipped the freshly baked bread and cut down on the rice … And had only a glass of wine. I actually did think about skipping lunches to try to keep low – this is how this WOE affects you! However I reminded myself that the food (and wine) was a large part of the holiday so tucked in to everything – but did limit my portion sizes! The puddings were always fresh fruit – mango, guava, melon, watermelon, oranges, strawberries, figs, dates, bananas etc – and no cream or ice cream on the side. The only exception was Tues 7th my husband’s birthday – we moored on a small island and they set up candle-lit tables and fairy lights on the island for dinner. After the main course, the lights went out and the chef, followed by all the crew arrived at our table with a huge birthday cake – one half chocolate and other half vanilla. They sang Happy Birthday in Nubian then the guests sang in English. Afterwards we had singing and dancing “Nubian style”. OH was totally embarrassed at all the attention but admitted afterwards to it being probably his best birthday ever … bless!

We are well and truly “templed out” having visited most of the main temples from Luxor West Bank to Aswan (even flew to Abu Simbel temple one morning at 6.30 … and were back in time for lunch!) Stunning, jaw-dropping sights all explained by our own personal Egyptologist guide! My knowledge of Egyptian mythology and hieroglyphics is greatly increased!

In between eating and templing we managed some time for shopping and were taken by our guide to reputable shops. I went mad in the perfume shop, buying essential and aromatherapy oils. The Spice market in Aswan was an amazing experience – went mad again buying loads of herbs and spices – the intention being to add them to my FD veggies and beans. Got a big bag of Hibiscus for tea. This was served ice cold on the boat each time we returned from a trip. It is blood red and delicious and is proven to reduce blood pressure, hence my eagerness to buy.

I could go on and on, but have already exceeded my longest post! Anyone interested in a Nile Cruise on what is essentially your own private sailing boat with the most cheerful, friendly and attentive crew please check out http://www.exploretravelandcruises.com. Yes, it is not the cheapest holiday on the planet but well worth the money! We paid the supplement for the Royal Suite which is at the rear of the boat and has a delightful balcony – worth it should you wish to have total privacy now and then!

Ah well, back to the daily grind of cooking and housework!

Up

Hi upagumtree and welcome back home. Sounds as if you had a fab time in every respect. I guess 3lbs on after hols is not too earth shattering. It won’t take you long to unload it as determined as you are. Well, think I might be due that cyber slap you promised me. Just before you left I unloaded 1.75lbs. Following week put it all back on again. Almost lost the plot and said sod it, but these lovely people on here kept me on the wagon and have lost 1lb with 3/4lb to lose . This will bring me back to where I was. So please don’t be too hard on me. One thing I’ve discovered in the last week is that my stomach has shrunk again. I find at mealtimes I really can’t finish my allowance, and the last three days have stayed well below my TDEE. This is just by listening to my body, and not just shovelling food in.
    Did my Aquafit session this morning and feel quite tired so am off for a long soak in the bath. Dinner is poached salmon with pesto and Puy lentils, another of Mimi’s recipes even though it’s not a FD , we just love her ideas. Great to have you back Up – by the way, THE WHITE TROUSERS FIT!

Welcome back Upagumtree! I knew you would love it in Egypt. Aren’t the local people friendly. We found it wonderful that total strangers would come up to us and say “Welcome to Egypt” A magical place.

TTL – White trousers Wow! you are doing so well, I can’t see you losing the plot.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply.