Newbie with no SCALES!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Melvz11 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Hello all,

Would like to introduce myself – I’ve been sneakily stalking the forums for 2 weeks and thought I’d muster up the courage to register!

I’m a 29-year-old woman who has always watched her weight, normally hovering around a healthy ten Stone, but after a particularly indulgent winter saw the scales move to 11st 6! However, as soon as I had seen this number, I was due to go travelling for 3 months, away from the scales and blissfully unaware. I find it so hard to lose weight by just vaguely “watching what I eat”, so when I came across the idea of fasting and read Dr Moseley’s book I thought it would be worth having a go. We are staying in a very humble area and the local food is very heavily sugar and carb-based – food is cheap and filling, and a time-bomb for obesity. I was worried that, if I stayed here for 3 months without doing something, I would return the heaviest I’ve ever been!

So, for the last 2 weeks I have tried the “5 2” routine, and have just completed my 4th fast (Sunday and Thursday). I wanted to say thank you to everyone on here, you have a lovely supportive community!

My problem is that I have no scales, and will probably be unable to weigh myself until the beginning of April! Subsequently, I’ll be scouring this forum for encouragement and tips to keep me motivated without seeing any numerical change, which I am unaccustomed to!

Hope everyone’s journeys are satisfying and successful!

Melvz

Melvz11 I make it a habit to measure my waist often. I know my bone structure (between small and medium), and obviously my height. The bone structure can be obtained by googling charts for them. Sometimes googling wrist size charts are helpful to know bone structure. Once in possession of this knowledge, I know if I have to cut back and keep cutting back until I’m eating air for meals, until my waist is where it is supposed to be. I weight myself once in a while but I don’t care if I’m 300 lbs as long as I have a proper 31.2 inch waist. Hope that helps.

Thanks, Bobbynoogie – great tip! Will try to get hold of a tape measure! That would help with not obsessing over water weight and slight fluctuations.

Hi Melvz,
    18 months ago I was the newbie with no scales. Now I’m the oldie with no scales.
    It has worked well for me. None of the stress of the ups and down of scales. I stood on my (adult) daughters wonky scales every few months when I visited her, and I measured my waist once a month for a while.
    I knew I wanted 5:2 to be a way of life, and when I did have scales, many years ago, they did my head in!
    The mirror, and my clothes, gave me plenty of feed back and now I am nicely down at the low end of my healthy weight range. ( which I know because my doctor popped me on the scales when I saw her last).
    Those of us with no scales are few and far between! Hello fellow traveller!

Hello Cinque!

Well done you! Fantastic to know that it can be done without scales – it sounds like you’ve had great results! I used to be on the scales at least twice a day and, although I’m missing the feedback, I think I may be weaning myself off of an unhealthy obsession.

Have you found 5 2 as straightforward as it sounds? I’m finding it very doable, but after only 2 weeks and without feedback I’m not sure how it is working. You mention that you’re now at the lower end of your healthy weight – did you start at the higher end, or overweight? Hope you don’t mind my asking those questions! Thank you, “oldie with no scales”!

There’s one more way you can check your progress without scales — keep a set of clothing as your measuring stick. Try them on periodically and you’ll see the difference. It’s so encouraging to see jeans go from too tight to needing a belt to prevent them falling off!

All the best for your journey, in all senses of the word. 5:2 really is so simple and it works.

Hi Lolly,

Thanks for your post – had a pair of shorts, buried away, that I bought in September. Tried them on after Christmas and couldn’t even think of wearing them!! Put them on this morning and they fit nearly perfectly (but would definitely like a bit of room to manoeuvre!) Getting there, I think – yay!

Then that’s your new measuring stick — well done! I got rid of all my old too-big stuff except for one T-shirt and jeans, which I’m keeping as Exhibit A for my future self to marvel at. 😀

Hi again Melvz,
    I have found 5:2 both straightforward and very doable, and also tricky and full of challenges.

I had lost about 20 kg over a few years previous to 5:2 by cutting out sugar, but then I plateaued and my weight started creeping up again. 5:2 has been the answer for me.

Basically it has been easy and fits neatly into my life, and will forever.

I’ve lost 15 kilo over about 16 months and now I am working out maintenance.
    But I have been really glad for the support of the forums: Just when I think fast days are sorted, I get a couple of nasty ones, just when I think I am making great choices in food, I have a binge. Christmas was tricky, and I am still working out how to do maintenance in the best way. 6:1, or an easier 5:2 (say with up to 800 calories), etc. But these are nice problems to have!

Good luck on your journey!

Sounds good, Lolly!

Thanks for your reply, Cinque. I have the tendency towards the odd binge, but then most do, and this way of life seems more forgiving and less punishing than the normal “diet”- it’s more long-haul. Sounds as though you’ve done fabulously, hope the maintenance goes well!

Thanks for the luck!

Hi Melvz,

Well done to you for getting back into those shorts. Congratulations!

I’ve been a fellow traveller of Cinque’s on this 5:2 journey, have seen met her in person, and she is indeed looking svelte and gorgeous now. Scales have been my choice but I don’t go stupid on them, but I can understand your reticence. I think Lolly gave you good advice about keeping some clothing, and it seems those shorts fit the bill very well.

At a younger age than some of us, you are taking the opportunity here to not just normalize your weight but to improve your health through the decades ahead. You may even find that you inspire someone where you are presently living to change their future as well. A tourist guide I spent awhile with watched what I was doing, asked questions, and saw 5:2 as a way out of their dilemma too.

Welcome to the official 5:2 forum. The forum has been a brilliant support and community for me. This is a respectful community of people of many ages, all continents, many different health and weight challenges, many different styles of eating, and 5:2 knows no boundaries. We are vastly varying group of people from all over the world. Those of us now maintaining are using this as a way of life. I’m new to maintainence, reaching my final goal 3 months ago. Since then I’ve travelled overseas to less healthy eating places, and interstate, had Christmas/NewYear/multiple birthdays/visiting and been in stressful situations as well. I’m only 1.3kgs above my goal weight now I’m at the end of that. Pre-5:2 that would have been a disastrous period for my weight, but not anymore. I’m continuing with 2FDs a week and changing my nonFDs a little for maintenance. I’m in the middle of my healthy weight range.

Keep posting and we’ll follow your progress and celebrate your successes with you,
    Bye for now, onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Hi Merryme ( or MerryYOU, I should say!)

Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement – it seems a very strong and supportive community on here! Congratulations on reaching your goal and successfully maintaining. It’s very inspiring to hear so many positive stories. I’m so glad that so many people are feeling happier and healthier with th this lifestyle, and am determined to join you! Will make a commitment to keep posting and follow this through. Sunday, today, so a brand new fast day for me – bring it on!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.