New to this! Transformation journey 2017

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
New to this! Transformation journey 2017

This topic contains 256 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Dragon Fly 7 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 258 total)

• Oh its quiet on here!

Vicky, well done on the pounds down! That’s awesome 🙂 Hope it continues now 🙂

Riz where are you??? Hope you’re doing okay.

I couldn’t fast yesterday due to family issues 🙁 Not a great day yesterday, but hopefully things will be ok now.

As I am doing 4.3 this week, I have a tough few days coming up .. as I’m fasting today, tomorrow and Thursday back to back. I seriously hope I can do it. I feel okay so far, but its early days.

Have a good day everyone, stay strong xx

Hello! Wow – 3 days in a row?! Respect…I defo can’t do that! I am doing 3 fast days this week though – Monday, Wednesday, Friday. So I’ll be with you tomorrow! I’m not going to weigh myself until Thursday at the earliest this week. Haven’t done any exercise yet though. Having a busy week.

Hang in there!!! You can do it!!!!

Hi Vicky 🙂 I’m attempting it, and am having to do it back to back because my plan for yesterday went a bit wrong! I’ll probably be ok today, but think the next two days might be a bit rough. I’ll try and get through it though, I need to keep thinking about the weight going down. We’re hoping to get away at the end of May somewhere nice and sunny, so I have that to focus on. I don’t want to feel uncomfortable in everything I wear!! I’d never usually do 3 days back to back .. but needs must, and I don’t want Friday to be a FD!

Glad you’ll be with me tomorrow, I might be on here more than usual lol! We’ll do it together 🙂

Have a great afternoon xx

Watch the Horizon program – Michael Mosely fasts for three days. Just a miso soup each day! You’ll feel like you’re eating enormous amounts in comparison to that!!!

Actually, there was something in the paper the other day saying that limiting calories to 750/800 a day was now a revised version of the 5:2. So, if you get desperate, go up to 750 calories.

I didn’t even feel hungry yesterday on my fast day. Barely noticed despite my partner and my son scoffing breakfast around me. I’m becoming immune to food on Fast Days! I love the feeling of nothing being off limits on NFDs too. Because I know I can theoretically have what I like, I don’t feel permanently deprived so I’m then not that fussed!

Keep at it! x

I need to watch it, I’ve only read the book. Wow just a miso soup a day! I’m having soup tonight but it will be a nice chunky vegetable one 🙂

I know what you mean about FD’s, food doesn’t really enter my head at all now during the day. Not sure about what will happen with the b2b ones, but I’m determined to push though whatever my body tells me!

This is such a great plan, because you don’t have to deny yourself anything 🙂 I agree that when you know you can have something, you more often than not can take it or leave it!

Thanks for your support Vicky 🙂 Hope your days going ok, I know you said you were having a busy week x

Bitty, busy day today. I had my son’s parent consultation earlier, emergency supermarket shop, a load of work to prep for my teaching this week, the piano tuner is here and I’m doing piano lessons for the 3 pupils later after the school run then I’ve got a builder coming round to do a quote followed by cooking dinner! Trying to tidy around the piano tuner so I’m ready for piano pupils and their parents! The piano tuning sound is starting to grate!

Your chunky veg soup will be well-deserved!!!

Hi ladies. I am been having problems with my internet connection. Posting now from my phone. Hope it gets sorted soon. Vicky well done on your loss, you are doing great, hope it continues that way. Kay, its fantastic that u are trying 3 fasts in A row. Hope u can manage and the scales move down. U can do this. We are with u. U can count on us, we are here for u. Good luck.
    Yesterday and today i was fasting, monday was omellet with veggies and grilled tomato, today was chicken and salad wrap. Weigh in tomorrow, Wish me luck. Went cycling with hubby on saturday for 40 minutes and some exercise yesterday and today. Ah, u guys mentioned about drinking last week, I wanted to add that i dont drink alcool at all so that also helps not overdoing on my calories..lol Have A good one everyone 😉

Morning lovelies 🙂

Thanks Riz, I’m on my second day in a row today .. yesterday I had vegetable soup and a small bread roll for dinner. Tonight I have a low calorie ready meal, rather lazy, but easy! I hope I can do this, its quite daunting knowing I still have another day if I get through this one! I’ll take it an hour at a time 🙂 Good luck with your weigh in, it sounds like your doing really well though both with eating and exercise! Let us know how you get on 🙂

Vicky, hope your ok. Are you still fasting today?

Have a great morning, I’ll be back later!

I need to investigate this new relaxed approach to 5.2 where we’re apparently allowed 700 cals per day on a FD? Vicky you mentioned it yesterday, I’ll see if I can find out any more about it.

xx

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/12/good-news-dieters-52-relaxes-rules-allows-800-calories-day/

Must have a read of this! Not sure myself, as I think it will just turn the fasting thing into a low calorie run of the mill diet in the long term?

What do you think guys?

xx

I’m not a fan of eating while fasting. Typically if my eating more than about 20 calories I feel I’ve broken my fast. However I think it depends on why you are fasting. I’m mostly fasting to improve my hormone levels and responses. My goal is to burn the fat off, losing weight is secondary. I want to build lean body mass and strength.

I’ve used calorie restriction for over three years before 5:2. It worked very well at first but later it didn’t work well at all. I was mostly hungry and miserable for over two years. While I do have hunger while fasting it isn’t anything like what I used to deal with.

Some people do really well with calorie restriction. 30 years ago it probably would have worked better for me. However now it doesn’t, but fasting does.

I don’t know where the line is, and it is probably different for everyone but 800 calories a day doesn’t sound like fasting to me. However that is about 1/2 of what I did with calorie restriction. 800 calories is extreme for calorie restriction and it is a real stretch to consider it fasting.

Hi Kay, well done on your b2b Fast, am sure u can do well today and tomorrow also. Hang in there. I agree with dykask about the 800 calories in A way, I believe if we struggle so much loosing the weigh eating 500 calories, with 300 more in the end of the week will pile up and wont have much of a deficit.

Moseley’s Blood Sugar Diet is 800 calories a day for 8 weeks and that one is helping to reverse some Type 2 diabetes and reversing pre-diabetic diagnoses. So 800 calories is probably fine if you really struggle with 500. Personally, I don’t find much difference between 500 and 800 in terms of hunger so I’ll probably stick to 500. But it’s nice to know that if you go a bit over, it’s not the end of the world.
    However, he does say to have a period of at least 13 hours when you eat nothing at all i.e. have an early evening meal and a late breakfast the next day. Because as dykask says, it’s not really fasting otherwise, is it? And the real benefits of doing the 5:2 are the fact that the fasting ‘resets’ your body and you start to produce new cells. On my fast days, I don’t eat breakfast and I just have a 32 calorie miso soup at lunchtime then I have e.g. cold chicken and salad/veg in the evening. So I’ve spent a very long period of time not eating. I suspect that if my evening meal were 800 calories at that point, it probably wouldn’t be much different from 500 calories because I’ve had a period of fasting.
    I am fasting today over here in Bedfordshire and waving at you!!! You really are having a marathon fast!!!!

Weighed in today and have an increase of 1,8lbs. I was expecting that, I did over do on the brownies on friday,saturday and sunday with ice cream and choc sauce. So retaining A lot of water. Did my exercise today,Fasting again tomorrow.

This is hard!!!

Since I put up my take on fasting I should also point out that I probably eat the extra 500 calories the day after a fast anyway. So I’m not saving calories, I’m only trying to maximize the effects of the fast.

I think there are so many reasons for fasting that I’m not going to say one can’t be successful with 500 or even 800 calories a day. It depends on why you are doing it and how you it is done. For example if someone takes 800 calories and breaks up into 4 or 5 tiny meals throughout the day, I don’t personally think it is fasting. On the other hand if there are longer periods of no eating, sure it is fasting.

@dragon Fly – Hang in there. I’m not sure what is hard, but time keeps moving.

Oh Dragon Fly you are on a second day of fasting! I typically find day 2 harder than day 1. It is supposed to get easy at some point. In my case that is clearly past day 2. Yea it is hard. Just keep in mind it is also the time that really counts a lot!

Hey folks! I’m back on the wagon today lol after struggling for a couple of weeks. I have to say that it’s reading all your posts that helped! We’re in this together 😊

Thanks dykast .. I’m definitely going to keep going. Its the habit of eating more than anything for me! I can do this 🙂 Its not helping because I’m unbelievably tired today, didn’t sleep very well last night. Tomorrow will be last FD of the week, and I’m focusing on how I’ll feel after it 🙂

Sanya, welcome back on the wagon, we are definitely all in this together 🙂

Enjoy the rest of the day everyone x

I still don’t know how you’re doing 3 in a row!!! You won’t catch me doing that! I was starving when I got home from teaching this afternoon. I had a soup at midday and I’ve gone about 75 calories over my 500. But, I did do a HIIT this morning with Davina McCall and I’ve got my 3rd fast day on Friday. So, I’m not worried. I agree with dykask, it’s the length of the fast that is crucial. 500-800 calories after at least 13 hours of fasting is going to be far more effective for your health than eating in dribs and drabs throughout the day. I didn’t eat after 8.30pm last night until midday today so that was 15 hours.
    Sanya – you never really left! Fit the fasts in as often as you can. I like the fact that it isn’t a diet. I’m starting to feel that fasting is becoming my way of life after 5.5 weeks. Once I’ve eventually lost the 3 stone that still needs to go, I’m going to do 6:1.
    TTFN!

I persevered and got through the FD yesterday, now on day 3 😀 My weight was down this morning by 3lbs, so it was the kick I needed to get me through this day. I’m feeling more positive, think I was just tired generally yesterday so it was harder.

Tomorrow, I’ll be treating myself to a wonderful sandwich from the bakery for lunch 🙂

Hey Kay. Well done! It’s so nice to see the drop on the scales. Keep it up and am sure you will see more results.
    FD for me also, feeling very tired, couldn’t do any exercise today. Can’t wait for tomorrow.
    Hey Sanya, nice to see u back!

Hi everyone, I’m new to the site. I started 5:2 in the new year, so far, so good, a steady 1 pound loss most weeks (2 weeks where I have stayed the same)am finding it easy to fit into my lifestyle, but mainly wanting to take control of my sugar levels (Type 2 diabetes), has anybody else noticed a change in their sugar levels (I’m not due a check up until May) Thanks. Sarah

Hi Sarah, welcome. You are doing great! Fortunately I don’t have sugar problems. Don’t know about the other ladies. Fasting going ok, just thinking about food. lol. Have a great one everyone. 🙂

Hi Sarah, welcome 🙂

I’m not familiar with the issue of sugar levels either sorry, I’m sure there will be other threads which deal with this though, just need to have a good look round the site 🙂 Sounds like your doing great so far 🙂

Riz, glad your days going ok .. I’m thinking about food too today lol!

Cant wait till tomorrow, Friday .. and I can eat lunch!!!

xx

I’m on my second fast day of the week. I’ve found the fasting far easier than I imagined. I discovered that I had more energy on the first day I fasted and felt great the morning after. The fast day helped me kick of my healthy eating strategy to get in better shape after a couple of years of working too many hours and not following my normal fitness routine. I’ve also cut out all alcohol after reading about how alcohol impacts metabolism apart front the calorie content. I am glad I found this site for support and camaraderie in the journey!

Hi Tann, welcome! I don’t ever have alcohol, and I believe u did a great choice staying away from it, its only empty calories…lol. I like to eat all the nice foods, i try and eat healthy only on the fasting days, other than that I love to enjoy good food… 🙂

Its Friday at last! Three FD’s completed, although probably went a bit over last night as my fella didn’t realise I was doing three days! I’m looking forward to be able to eat more today .. and now I know I can fast b2b, next time should be easier! Hope for a loss on Monday 🙂 I’ve not had any alcohol all week, which I know will have helped. Not that I drink a lot of it anyway, maybe a glass of wine here and there.

Hi Kay. Well done to u! I knew u could do it.
    Back on fasting on Monday hopefully, till then enjoy your weekend everyone. 🙂

Fasting today.

Weight 3lb down this morning 🙂

Hope everyone’s ok x

Good morning, everyone! Today I am trying a complete fast day with no food — only water and a couple cups of coffee with stevia and a bit of cream. I read an interesting book over the weekend about the benefits of fasting and fasting without any food. I don’t know if I can do it, but I want to try it. I didn’t have any problems with the 500-calorie a day fasts, so I am hoping I can do this. I am also trying to combine the 5:2 with a ketogenic diet (although limited calories). Has anyone done that and had good results? Have a great day and wonderful, healthy week!

Hello! I’ve done a low-carb diet before and it really worked, Tann. I still try to limit my carbs but I’m a bit weak!
    I’m not weighing myself much at the moment due to annoying weight fluctuations. I just cannot believe my lack of weight loss. The last 2 weeks, I’ve done 4:3. I gained 5lbs again! I really think the hormone in my Mirena must be preventing weightloss. I don’t know how you can fast 3 times a week and not shed a load of weight!!!!!!!! It makes absolutely no sense. SIGH.
    Tann – one fast day last week, I forgot to take even a miso soup to work and didn’t eat until 5.30pm. Weirdly, I am hungrier when I have eaten earlier in the day. So, I might be able to manage a day without food…but I’d have to go to bed early!

I’ve just read another forum by someone who kept gaining and losing the same pound for his first 7 weeks! He was very disillusioned a was tempted to give up but persisted then things change in his Week 8. He lost 3lbs. The following week, 7lbs. And after 16 weeks he’d lost 16 lbs. So it sounds like I really, really need to persist. Apparently, it’s quite common that people have v little weightloss or none initially. And that sometimes they don’t lose any weight for weeks on end. Lots of people give up at this point but it seems it’s definitely worth persisting!

Thanks for the feedback @fatty44!I am changing your name in my mind to give you a new vision for the year: skinny17! When I get discouraged I try to imagine what I am going to look like some pounds lighter at my daughter’s wedding this summer. My fast went well yesterday. I didn’t really get hungry. I had a couple cups of iced coffee with stevia and a small amount of half and half to help me through. I am going to try to switch it up and do two to three 16:8 or 18:6 intermittent fast days a week combined with the keto diet. Since fasting creates the same state as ketosis, I think the two will go hand in hand quite well and potentially create faster results. Fingers crossed. I will report back as I go along. I love the support this site offers!

Hey guys 🙂 Half way through the week!

Had a rather rough day yesterday, lots of emotional eating 🙁 I don’t know, I was just struggling with my thoughts. Maybe I’m tired .. there was no reason for how I was feeling. Anyway, allowed myself a day where nothing mattered food wise.

I did fast successfully on Monday, and am fasting today and tomorrow, to make up my three days. I’m feeling more positive today thank goodness.

My weight is going down, I need it to continue. Yesterday was just a blip.

Hope everyone’s doing well.

Have a great day.

xx

Hi everyone. Not doing so well, down with bronchitis again 🙁 it started on Saturday evening. But I did fast on Monday, Wednesday and fasting today, struggling a bit without food but I need to finish today’s fast then am done for the week. Did cycling with hubby on the weekend, haven’t exercise since, no energy!
    I should be done with the antibiotics by tomorrow evening. Hope to feel better then.
    Weigh in tomorrow, wish me luck!
    Have a good one everyone.

Hey Riz, hope you start to feel better soon *hugs* You’ve done well fasting while unwell, I don’t think I could have done that. Make sure your taking care of yourself!

I’m on third FD of the week. Hope I can do it. I’m tired with work/travelling and its soooo much harder when I feel like that. Weighed this morning, its so frustrating when the scales show a loss then a gain, a loss then a gain. I should only weigh once a week, its my own fault, but SO annoying!

Have a good day x

Hey Kay, Thanks. Hope u get thru the day, I hope so too.
    U shouldn’t be weighing yourself more than once a week, the weight fluctuation is frustrating.
    But you doing pretty well with the 3 fasts. Keep it up.
    Can’t wait for tomorrow!

I cant wait for tomorrow either Riz!

Thanks as ever for your support, it really does keep me motivated.

Black coffee time … mmmm!!!

Hi Kay, we keep each other motivated! 🙂 it’s good to know that we have the support we need in the group.
    Made it thru the day without food. Had water and green tea during the day and a lovely chicken wrap for dinner.
    Have a good one everyone.

Friday .. and NFD 🙂 I have to confess I went slightly over my cals yesterday, but felt okay with it. I’ll try and put off eating as long as I can today, but it will be wonderful to be able to eat some lunch 😀

Hi! Sorry I haven’t been about. Would love to be Skinny17, Tann! I’ve was preparing for a last minute teaching interview and I had loads of other things on this week so haven’t actually sad down and read the forum until now! I did 4:3 again this week. So that’s 4 out of 6.5 weeks of the fast diet. Today, I’m 6lbs down in total but most of the week, I was only 2lbs down. Extremely demoralising. If I got to 7lbs down by Monday, that would be exactly 1lb a week loss which is effectively, the average. But I am doing THREE fasts a week, not two! And I haven’t been this particular weight since 11th March. All very frustrating. I’m still holding out for a sort of miracle moment when I lose several pounds and they don’t go back on again! I’m still fluctuating within the same tedious 6lbs. [Sigh] I wouldn’t worry too much about being slightly over the 500 calories, Kay. The stuff in the paper recently said that it’s more to do with the length of time you don’t eat from your evening meal to your first feed the next day. So up to 750 calories is neither here nor there. I very occasionally go over by 50-100 calories but it’s still significantly less than an average day.
    I haven’t had time to do any specific exercise this week so I need to sort that out! I must say, I’m looking forward to drinking some wine tonight with my meal! Keeeeeeeep fasting!

Hey guys, I’d love to join this thread- been enjoying reading all your posts so far and you all seem like a lovely bunch!

I’m very new to this, I started 5:2 on 6th march weighing 11st 2 (after a heavy binge filled weekend so not sure how much of this number was excess food/water) and this morning I weighed just under 10st 10. Super happy with my results so far but I was a bit disappointed with this mornings weigh in (it was a FD yesterday) as I weighed the same as I did on Thursday and this week I completed three FDs in preparation of a holiday coming up :/

Tuesdays are my official days to log weight so I guess there is still time to drop an extra lb (aim: 10 st 8 on Tuesday morning) but it’s so hard to wrap my mind round the idea that I could lose any weight after a weekend of eating and a FD on Monday

For a bit of background I went from 11st 8 to 9 st 7 by calorie restricting and found it sucessfull and actually very easy but In August I moved house and jobs and stopped counting calories and slowly my weight went up to 10ish stone. I’ve then tried to get back to calorie restricting but I honestly can’t do it again- this time around I started binging badly and my weight continued to creep upwards

After 4 months of unsuccessful and miserable dieting I’m giving this a go !! I am thrilled so far and I can tell FDs are getting easier every week but I’m still learning to not go overboard on NFDs… I see a lot of people saying their appetite has descreased and that they are much more mindful about what they are eating but I’ve not completely experienced this yet (still working on my binging mindset) but at only
    3ish weeks in, I know this is only the start

Hi Scanch welcome to our group 🙂 Moving house/jobs have to be two of the most stressful times! This way of eating really works well for me, I’ve tried so many diets myself, and this is the only one that I can do long term. Good luck, keep posting, it helps 🙂

Sarah, I’ve missed you!! Great job on the three FD’s a week. I’ve been doing that too, but its not easy at all!

Monday, and FD for me today. I ate quite well at weekend, and didn’t brave the scale this morning. I’ll probably weigh Thursday morning after my FD’s are done and dusted.

Have a great day everyone .. stay strong! xx

Hi scanch welcome! Weighed in on Friday morning and i was down 2.2 pounds. 🙂
    Didn’t do any cycling on the weekend because am still not well. Hopefully will get there soon.
    Fasting day for me also. Have a nice one everyone. 🙂

Riz – congrats on being 2.2 lb down ! 😀

I had a not so good weekend; completed a very sucessfull 4:3 on mon/wed/fri but ended up at Camden foodmarket on Saturday and on Sunday me and my bf ordered Papa johns (basically inhaled a whole medium stuffed crust pizza to myself) so my weight today is 10st 11 which is 1lb up from last Tuesday and 2lb up from my goal of 10st 8 today.

Still it is a new week, had a very sucessfull fast day yesterday, which was pretty much a liquid fast which has made a positive start to this week. Will doing another 4:3 this week as I am heading to Edinburgh for 5 days with my bf and know we will be eating breakfast and dinner out every day. Has anyone here been on holiday whilst doing 5:2 ? Did you find you maintained or gained etc ?

Hope everyone has a good day x

Thanks scanch, but unfortunately not feeling well at all 🙁 the fever don’t want to leave me…
    Today is an eating day for me, but really I don’t think I will manage any fasts this week because I am feeling so miserable and lethargic, and when I don’t eat I feel nauseas. Still busy with antibiotics. Hope it will sort me out… 🙁

Just doing 2 FD this week, don’t feel up to doing much more than that. I don’t know whats wrong with me, but feel really low to be honest. Hopefully this will pass.

Riz I really hope you start to feel better soon, I can sympathise *hugs*

Take care lovelies x

Morning Riz, hope you start to feel much better as the week goes on. A week off from any fasts to re cuperate is probably a good idea and shouldn’t put too much of a stall on things.

Same goes to you too Dragonfly, hopefully things will pick up, and good that your not pushing yourself too hard when feeling down,

Sorry you’re feeling ropey! Definitely don’t push yourselves if you’re not up to it. I’m sure you’re not supposed to do fasting when you’re ill unless it’s actually beneficial! I’m not feeling great but there are potential redundancies and reduction in work hours where I teach and there are lots of depressing meetings this week so I think my fasting resolve will be tested. I am an emotional eater! It’s my second fast day today (I did one on Monday) and I’m intending to do one on Friday but I’m not certain that will happen at this rate! I think that, although my weight isn’t going down much, I can see a difference in my face. Hoping there will be more to follow. Could definitely do with some good news in at least one area of my life at the moment! Feeling uncharacteristically HUNGRY today.
    Get well soon all! x

Feeling slightly brighter, apart from being in work lol.

Fasting, and determined to do it. I am in the fasting mind-set for sure today 😀

How’s everyone doing, Riz are you feeling any better? *hugs*

I want to feel empty, bring on the fast!!

xx

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 258 total)

You must be logged in to reply.