new to the forum and starting my first fast tomorrow

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
new to the forum and starting my first fast tomorrow

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Hello there,
    My name is Nikki and I’m 50. I am starting the fast tomorrow for the first time.
    A little bit about me…..I had a gastric band fitted 7 years ago and thought it would be the b all and end all to my misery of yo yo dieting. Tried every diet going and none never worked for longer than 7-8 months hence taking the drastic option of surgery. Yes I lost the weight with the band and got down to a healthy 10 stone. To cut a long story short the band started working against me and I had a lot of trouble eating healthy as there was so many foods that I just couldn’t tolerate and eating became a nightmare in which I started putting weight back on. My band migrated and I became poorly and 3 weeks ago I was due to have the band repositioned but whilst under the surgeon discovered the band had gone up towards my chest and a hiatus hernia was causing complications…..band taken out and the hiatus hernia repaired. On coming round the surgeon explained what had happened and that the band had been taken out. I felt really weird as I had had the band for 7 years and suddenly nothing it was like morning something lost. I got my act together and after hearing about the 5-2 diet thought I had nothing to lose, I read the book and really think I can do this. I am 50 yes…I’m going through the menopause yes and I take a tablet that inevitably causes weight gain but starting tomorrow I’m fasting. I’m hoping it wont be too hard as I have been used to going a day with little food when my band was playing up…..wish me luck

Welcome to your new life of intermittent fasting nikki. Why not come and join us for a Silly Season Challenge since you’re embarking on this new way of eating at a challenging time of year? There are some friendly and inspirational people participating, some of whom have lost significant amounts of weight and are now maintaining that loss. We’re mostly hoping to maintain our weight throughout the silly season or lose a kilo. https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-second-annual-silly-season-challenge/

Welcome Nikki, I wouldn’t worry about middle age and menopause causing issues with intermittent fasting. I’m in the same boat.

I spent most of my life morbidly obese and a few years ago made one last attempt to get my weight down to delay having to consider bariatric surgery. I got my weight down from 127kg to 78kg by following an incredibly restrictive meal replacement VLCD (very low calorie diet). It removed the weight but I really struggled to keep my weight stable. By the end of last year I had regained 9kg when I found 5:2. I started it nearly a year ago. I lost those 9kg and have continued to use 5:2 to maintain my weight. It is the only low stress way of keeping my weight stable long term that I’ve found. It has become a way of life for me and I’ve finally gotten to a point where I believe I can stay this weight long term.

Since maintaining I have gradually made changes to my diet to something healthier and more balanced. Most foods now are fresh and most are plants. My digestive system is much healthier now. I have a hiatus hernia and also suffered from IBS for years, but with 5:2 and a mostly healthy diet, I rarely ever have symptoms from either of these anymore.

I wish you success. I also agree with Thin’s suggestion, join a support group. The Silly Season challenge is a good place to start.

Good luck Nikki. I’m pretty new to the 5:2, although I did try it several years ago. It appeared to work then but my lifestyle at that time meant I couldn’t maintain it.
    I’m back trying it again, although it’s difficult at this time of year with so many invites, lunches out, meeting friends, but this is my fourth week and I’ve lost around 5lb. It may not be as much as some people, but it’s movement in the right direction.
    The first couple of 500 calorie days are tough, but after that, it’s a good challenge and I’ve not been hungry funnily enough!!
    It’s actually really mind-occupying looking at ways to keep yo 500 calories but eat enough to keep you satisfied. I do try to keep my non fast days in check foodwise as well and I do think that your stomach does get used to less.
    Good luck!!

Barbara, I’d consider 5lbs in a month a very good loss. I invite you over to the link I posted above where even those of us who’ve been doing this for some years face challenges. Mostly, we try to mitigate any festive damage with some good FDs. Sharing the good, the bad and the ugly with each other helps keep us honest.

I was instantly drawn to your profile because we, too, are considering a move to Spain for retirement. We went there two years ago to see how well we would handle the winter weather. Are you currently located in the UK?

Back again…..I did 2 fast days so far this week and have lost 5lb in total. I did Tuesday and Thursday as those days suited me best. I did not find it hard and quite enjoyed it. I have been keeping a food diary to keep track of calorie intake until I get my head around it. However I’m not sure if i should do another fast day tomorrow as I really over did it on Friday going over my daily allowance with junk food and wine????don’t drink often but had a whole bottle of red…..and today Saturday was good all day then had a Chinese for supper before strictly finals…..I dare not get on the scales Monday, as I’m sure all my hard work for the week has been in vain????
    Any thoughts?
    Nikki

Nikki, what happened yesterday can’t be changed so don’t worry about it. Investing emotional energy in recriminations can be harmful to your emotional state. Adding another fast day is fine if you are up for it. Some of us fast once a week some twice and some may fast for multiple days in a row. As your body becomes used to burning fat the FD’s become quite easy.

Some things that I find helpful are to clear out all junk foods containing sugar and refined carbs out of your pantry. You can’t eat it if it’s not there. Stock up with healthy ingredients for meals. Plan your meals in advance for FD & NFD. Perhaps you can prepare and freeze some healthy meals so you can just heat and eat?

Good luck and keep posting!

back yet again…..I decided to do another fast day today and all went well stuck to my 500 calories without any problems in fact I used up left overs in the fridge which was a bonus. I had home made mushroom soup which was low calorie and satisfying, that was after taking my pouches out for a walk in the rain late morning. My tea was at 8 o’clock I then had low calorie cottage cheese, chicken, beetroot, cherry tomatoes and cucumber and 4 crisp bread with a sliver of flora light spread. I topped it off with strawberries grapes and a fromage fraise, all weighed out and calories accounted for…came in at 501 for the day.
    Even on my NFD I have a bowl of strawberries grapes and fromage fraise because its sweet a supresses my cravings for sugar. To me the fromage fraise is like having a dollop of cream with the strawberries and is yummy. Tesco do their value packs and they are only 50 calories for a 55g pot. Weighing myself tomorrow so fingers crossed that having the extra fasting day made up for my naughty Friday and Saturday 🙂

Nikki, you seem to be well under-way to your goals as achieved with a Fasting Lifestyle. Kudos to you for being able to get your head and your life around it to make the changes. Good luck and keep us posted.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.