new fast day coming up

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Shadow 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi everybody,

I am new here.
    This is my first post.

I have a fast day coming up and no time to go shopping.
    This is what i have in my fridge/pantry/garden/freezer:

tomatoes
    lettus
    potatos
    eggs
    rice
    pasta
    home made dinkel wheat bread
    drye beans like kidney and chickpeas
    broad beans
    turkisch yoghurt 3,5% fat
    red bell pepper
    union
    tomato past
    pesto
    canned tomatoes
    lentels
    bulgur
    melba
    oats
    dryed cranberries
    raisins
    and lots of spices
    blue berries / frozen blue berries
    frozen bananas
    grapes

I taught maybe some kind of vegitarian chilli (but dont have a recipe, or the amount of calories).

But what would you guys do?
    I do like eating breakfast lunch and dinner, because I do this on working days.

thanks so mutch!!

Welcome anita82 🙂 it sounds like you have everything you need for fasting!
    In my first week (and I’m only 2 weeks in) I cooked up a veggie soup (I looked up the calories for 100gm of each veggie on fatsecret.com) I used 200gm of chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock as a base and added onion, broccoli, celery, carrot, mushrooms, spinach & cauliflower and lots of spices and then zapped it in the blender. It was 250 cal all up and I got 3 x 400ml out of it, so about 80 calories per serve. I have that for lunch and find it really satisfying. For breakfast I have a boiled egg, and then take another hard-boiled egg to have whenever I next get REALLY hungry, usually about 11 am/noon, and I have the soup about 3 pm. I also cooked up a big vegetable curry using tomatoes as a base and similar veggies to the soup, but also added aubergine as it bulks up with the sauce and is filling. I added 100gm chick peas to the curry and it did for 2 meals at 125 cal per serve. For snacks I have half an apple and 10gm almonds, and that is about 500 calls all up.
    Good luck with the fast, and feel free to join the thread I think is called Starting today (I can’t ‘see’ if from here 🙂 which has a lot of other newbies.
    ~Ensitu~

thanks Ensitu,

Could you write down how you made the curry?
    Here in the netherlands we don’t have al lot of curry so I have no clue how to make one.

Anita

Hi Anita,

No problem – but this is definitely a ‘fast’ curry, and not one of my usual curries, which starts with sautéing onions and garlic in lots of oil and often includes a generous helping of coconut cream… 🙂

200gm Aubergine 30
    50gm Onion 21
    100gm Cauliflower 25
    100gm Broccoli 36
    200gm Celery 28
    50gm Chick Peas 60
    200gm Canned Tomatoes 36

TOTAL 236 calories (approx.)

Put the chopped tomatoes into a non-stick pan and add cumin powder, coriander powder and chilli powder (I use at least a tablespoon of the first 2, and a teaspoon of the chill). When it’s mixed and heated through, add the chopped up veggies, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until they’re cooked to your preference (I like them not too soggy). I found I needed to add vegetable stock as they cooked, as the aubergine in particular swells up and needs additional moisture but the stock I use has negligible calories.
    It made enough for 2 meals, and I add a dollop of natural yogurt (greek-style 3.5gm fat) as it makes it creamier and for added ‘mouth-feel’ and that takes it to about 125 calories per serve.
    Good luck!
    ~Ensitu~

Thanks so mutch.

defently going to put this one in my favourits!

Thanks for the curry recipe, it is just what I need as I am having visitors on Monday and I want a low calorie option for me and as a side dish for them. Monday is my fasting day and I want to try and keep as near to the 500 calories as I can.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.