My Story After 14 Weeks

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  symba7 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi

I’m copying this from the weight loss forum, thinking it’s more about the journey- thought it might be encouraging to anyone just starting out.

Background. I’m 59, 5’10” and have always been pretty skinny. From 15 to 35 ish I was around 10st. As with a lot of people that changes slowly into middle age, and a skinny bloke with a pot belly is never a good look. I have always been the type to graze, and one of Michael’s programmes showed me up as a greedy so and so- when I open Pringles or M&Ms, for example- I eat just have to eat them all. You get the picture. Anyway, I returned late January from a family bash in Ireland (booze n food) and I was 78 kg, the heaviest I have ever been. Over 12 stone. That was decision time. Initially I begun the 5:2 simply for discipline, simply to slow my eating and show I could. Then I looked at the science and embraced it wholeheartedly. Today I am 70.3kg (11 and a bit st), and my target is 70kg.

I have had some plateaus, but generally have lost about a pound and a bit a week over the 14 week period. I have had few ‘hunger’ days, and have only felt exhausted when I have done hard DIY work or exercise. (I am usually in the light exercise group.) My BP is down to 127/75 from 140/90 and I generally feel less tired than before.

No secrets: very strict calorie counting (for what it’s worth, I calculate everything on raw values) on fast days, a realistic appraisal of TDEE; and perhaps an extra- my wife came on board after 4 weeks, so I often eat 500 cals on a fast, a small extra saving. I often go all day without eating, having all 5/600 in one go. Snacks, when I do- I’ve discovered super thin ham as a filler, and I love tomatoes which are light in cals. I drink too many cups of tea, and was slow to realise that 50-60ml of semi skimmed milk is about 30 cals. For me that can be 240 cals a day!

She’s doing well too, and we’re committed to ‘the lyfestyle’ so far. We both use Monday and Thursday as fast days. By chance, only once have we changed the day to accomodate a family meal or some such.

One gripe- I’m sure I’m wrong, but I feel that as soon as I have a nice big meal, I sense that it immediately swells my stomach- visually I mean! Can that be right?

I’m getting very close to my target weight- very likely there by Friday- and plan to stay on 5:2 when I do, maybe being a little ‘freer on the calories on non fasting days and see how that goes. If the weight keeps reducing, I’ll move to 6:1 for maintenance. I won’t do that until my wife reaches her target, both for support and for ease of cooking. I do the cooking!

Hope this is useful to newbies or those strugling a bit.

CG

A really well done to both of you and good luck to your goal on Friday. It’s much easier when you are both doing it together.

It’s a really testing time on maintenance. We were commited to lifestyle change or thought we were!

We (and hubby) lost 30 lb each 18 months ago, although hubby had two new knees as we came to our goal weight, the treats, chocolate and biscuit crept back in. You are so pleased you got to the end, stupidly (we) you reward yourself and eat!

People were bringing treats as you do to cheer people up when unwell.

So being not mobile, eating as we did before the 5.2, everything over 10 months period crept back! We knew but didn’t do anything but talk about the gaining weight!

So the path begins again, I have now lost 20 lbs, hubby lost 13lbs. It’s hard getting going the second time around at the beginning especially, although we are OK now.

I am passing our journey on as its so easy to return to eating unhealthy. I don’t want you to put the weight back on like we did!

Good luck to you both ….good journey.
    X

Wow, a great warning, thanks!

I’m convinced about the health benefits, as much as the weight loss, so I HOPE I will carry it through. We’re revelling in clothes fitting better etc. We also, last year took up cycling and skiing; and I returned to swimming three times a week (serious, not leisurely). So, whilst I’m more or less retired, and her to follow in 3 years, we feel we’re setting up for healthy, mobile retirement years.

CG

PS weighed in at 69.9kgs today!

Well done Charlie you are there 😀

Maybe get down to 69 kg for a bit of movement…

Must admit on tea and coffee..we drink quite a lot although I count it in….must have a re look at that ..cheers lol
    X

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.