My fasting experience and preparation

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
My fasting experience and preparation

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Doc.Flay 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Opps, the danger of having 2 tabs open on the same site !
    Can admin please move this to the forum below
    “Different approaches to intermittent fasting”
    ***EDIT***

Hello,
    First I should note that I am not here for dietary reasons, but to share my own insights.
    I do not usually fast from choice, but that situation or finances are the usually the main factor.
    I live in one or the poorest parts of the UK, and have experienced a couple of periods of homelessness.
    Rather than sign-on, I used my IT skills to keep me busy, fed and somewhere to sleep. That was as sporadic as it sounds.
    When I fasted it was usually without much warning, and often meant no food at all.
    More recent times relate to me having a dog which would also forgo a day of food.
    My tips are obviously personal, but I hope you see the techniques and mind-set I use rather than the food stuffs or dietary requirements.

Being able to plan your day gives you the advantage of creating the right mental attitude.
    I had plenty of practice over 6 years and would often have to last several days.

If I know that it will be 1 day without food, I will remind myself “It is no different to being a child with tummy-bug, and I had to not eat for a day”
    My Mum starved me for my own good (barring the odd bit of chicken soup), so I can manage just fine.

Knowing that tomorrow I will be hungry, I never eat a large amount the evening before.
    This is a fatal schoolboy error, that will make the following day a miserable hell.
    The amount your stomach expands will decree how hungry you feel next meal-time.

In the previous day I will try to spread my food intake through the day, so I eat little at a time and often.
    This prevents the hunger pangs from being painful, though obviously still grumbly.

Drinking lots of fluid will fool the stomach into not feeling empty, but lots of tea, coffee and acidic drinks can irritate the stomach.

OK. I am equipping a mental larder of my chosen helpers through a lean time.

Stock cubes, Bovril, or sachets of soup:
    These are consumed as a filling liquid, and will give you a bit of salt and a little fat and protein.
    You get a quicker lift than eating solid food.

Nuts:
    Keep them in a cupboard or drawer and pick at them. Put some in your mouth and walk away from. Grab some while you are on your way to do something.
    I will easily sit and empty a bag of unsalted nuts, but too many of them makes you feel grotty.
    I find that shelling ground/monkey/peanuts helps by forcing a delay between having the food in front of you, and eating it.
    Unlike other nuts they are easy to open, and are a good excuse to be sociable sat at the table.

Cheese:
    Dicing up some cheese in a tub is an easy way to give yourself a small boost, and ration it sensibly (take note cheese fiends).

Honey:
    Unlike the Sucrose of sugar we can start burning the energy in honey almost immediately.
    This is the same reason why Glucose tablets are found in military ration packs, survival tins and first-aid boxes.
    It is a big pick-me-up and a little goes a long way.

Fruit:
    Most fruit are fairly acidic so I stay clear on an empty belly, apart from bananas.
    Dried fruit chips are a great source of energy, and take a while to eat, but the more citrus fruits, the more acid.
    Dried berries tend to be easier on your stomach, so if you are a fan of a bag of “fruit and nuts”, this is a premium item.

Mushrooms:
    Flakes of dried mushrooms is handy to add to a cup of stock or soup.
    It helps to break the monotony, and adds some condensed nutrition without much bulk.

A sparse collection maybe, but based on frugality. However after a hot mug of stock or thin soup, a handful of fruit and nuts, and a bit of cheese consumed over 20-30 minutes, hunger should pass comfortably.

No snacks on cakes, biscuits, or crisps. They create even more desire for food.
    I generally stay away from starchy and wheaty foods.
    Any energy I get seems to be deferred, and I may feel full and cheerful, but not energised.
    You can tick-over on potatoes, pasta and bread, but you will not feel like doing anything.
    They should always be eaten with other foods, and at that point you may as well admit you are making a full meal.

Items can easily be swapped for various tastes and diets, but as long as you a mentally happy that your needs are covered, you can make a little go a long way.
    We all need a little fat, minerals, proteins and sugars, and plenty of liquid.
    I think, cover the basics as if you were in hospital on a saline drip, but with the bonus you actually get to eat a little something.

Finally…..

A parallel I remember from the days when we fed dogs on real meat and mixer (you still can if you visit a real butcher), was that it was common to let your dog go without food for 1 day a month.
    This was explained to me as being done to reduce lactic acid levels.
    I have no idea how accurate this is, but it did seem that the practice was known to result in a healthier dog.
    I guess it somewhat mimics the lower than 50% average kill rate in most carnivores.

Whenever my last dog had a sustained high protein diet (tinned fish and meat off-cuts, eggs), on her day of fasting I would also go without meals.
    It much was easier to not eat than have a dog whining and sulking.
    If I moved anywhere near where food may be, big eyes and ears were on me.
    Being “in-it-together” makes it easier if you are with “someone” that is not talking about food.
    Most branded pet food is around 4% meat so I would not suggest people do it for the same reasons, however if your faithful pooch is waddling or looking a bit barrel shaped, then perhaps you may have the moral-support you need if you are struggling through the day.
    No dog will ever thank you for it, but it does help to reinforce that you are the boss, and in charge of food.

I hope my experience is of use, and that some inspiration can be drawn from it.

Are you still homeless?

Thankfully no, but in many ways it was an easier life because my IT skills kept me busy and needed (I was not the average homeless person).
    The longest time was 2001 – 2007.
    I developed Scoliosis and a dislocated shoulder, so had to become a number once again to get treatment.

Last time I was homeless very short-term. I had given up my house to a young couple expecting their first baby, but unfortunately the place I had lined-up fell through.
    As I had the help of a Housing Support Worker I was not roofless.
    Shame the current Gov. decided to close such help systems, so now you just become properly homeless.

The main problem with being homeless and food, is that you have no storage facility, thereby forcing you to live 1 day at a time.
    It is pointless stocking up for a week, if it will go off.
    It took a long time to break the habits, and I still forget to go down the freezer isle !

Fasting was often forced upon me, so I had to plan for those days or the lack of energy would take me down rapidly.
    With no reserves of body fat, I will start to fade rapidly so I must slow my body down first.
    If I had some valuable high-energy food I would spread it through the day so I did not peak and crash.

As previously stated, if I have a dog with a traditional diet of real meat, I will have 1 day per month with no food.
    Many religions observe regular periods of fasting. If they can do it because they are told to, I can do it because I choose to on my terms.
    If I cheat, I am cheating myself and my dog.

I have some close friends that use some horrible African seeds as their food substitute for a day.
    The idea being that the indigestible sticky/slimy seeds will scrub through your digestive system.
    The seeds may be filling, but I could not tolerate the texture.
    They mostly use the seeds if they have an upset stomach and decide that feeding the “bug” will sustain the illness.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.