My 16 week countdown

This topic contains 467 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 7 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 473 total)

• Hi Cath, sorry to hear your weight has stalled but sometimes events just get in the way. I know exactly what you mean. Thursday will be a late night, with lots of nibbles I imagine.Then celebrations in Spain! Whereabouts in Spain? Are you coming near me? Costa Blanca south of Alicante.

I am sure the weight will come off when you are ready and things don’t get in the way.

MrsH I will take a few wrinkles over a fat face with a double chin any day. Plenty of moisturiser, not that I am sure it does much good.

Annette snug size 10? brilliant!! well done.

Yes, never mind Cath. The journey is just as important as the destination.

I had started a FD today with all good intentions, but at 9am I was offered a Pain Chocolat by my Line Manager and before I knew it, I had accepted and eaten it without giving any thought at all to a FD! So, that was it really for me today. The plan is to actually complete a FD tomorrow.

Don’t get hung up by the label.I am thrilled that these were trousers that I couldn’t get further than my knees on January 1st and I could possibly wear for 10 minutes now. I am loving my size 12 skinny jeans that make me feel slim.

I have developed a bit of a thing about scarves, to jolly up a plain black dress or top. I suppose they could detract from the wrinkles too!There is a work colleague who always wear scarves and they look so elegant,so I now have 2 silk squares from 2 different charity shops for the princely sum of £4.50 in total.

Hi Cath, just think of me – you know how disheartened I’ve been about little or no loss and now it’s on the move again. Hope the kitchen extension is going well.

Annette, scarves are great if you can carry them off. My sister just seems to sling them round her neck or over her shoulder and they look great. I always seem to be tugging at mine and feel like I’m being strangled!

Applepie, I’m with you on the wrinkles v fat face – I’m piling on the moisturiser and doing my neck exercises like mad.

Back down to 10stone 6.4 this morning but going for a meal on Saturday so that might mean a gain next week! I’ve still time to fit in a couple of fast days before my holiday next Saturday so who knows,I might get to 10.5 but if I don’t, I don’t – I’ll just try again when I get back. Linda

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know that I’ve just done my last weigh in before my holiday and I’m now 10 stone 5.8 lbs – so very nearly there; but near enough! I remember last September trying to get to 11 stone before going to Australia and now I am 8lbs or so lighter. Some might not think it’s very much considering it’s 8 months later but I’m happy with it because at least it’s going in the right direction. Perhaps I could have got there sooner but I’m there and that’s all that matters.

I hope everyone else is doing ok – you are all very quiet! Speak to you in a couple of weeks – Vegas here I come (well Saturday anyway)!!!
    Linda x

Hi everyone,

Well still ‘the same’ (11st 1lb) but feeling quite good as what with birthday celebrations etc. and a great weekend in Spain (Malaga city) I was several lbs heavier at the start of the week, so I feel like I have achieved something! 3 strict fast days, 3 x gym – oh, and no kitchen, so I am eating calorie counted ready meals that I can microwave. They are of varying quality -turns out Tesco Finest paella with prawns, chicken and chorizo is the best so far. Half a pack is 585 cals – but that was WAY too much!

The kitchen extension is going well but a nightmare as we are camping out in the living room, surrounded by kitchen utensils, and everything – and I do mean everything – in the whole house is under a layer of dust. You clean it up and it re-settles. They are forecasting completion by the end of May, all the plumbing & electrics are now in, and they are putting in floorboards and plasterboard ready for the plasterers next week. I can’t wait until it is finished as it is exhausting!

Linda – I am absolutely thrilled for you! Isn’t that your original target weight and ‘normal’ BMI? I can only dream of getting that low, you have done amazingly well! Just think how great you’ll feel on holiday. That last half a stone is sooooo hard to lose – but I am inspired by you!

Annette and Applepie – sounds like you are both doing well and the new wardrobes are flourishing. I just tried on a pair of size 12 white jeggings from M&S – and I can only say that they’ve given me more impetus to continue (they will be returned tomorrow!)

Hope everyone else is doing well

Cath xx

The M and S jeggings are the most awful leg wear that I have tried. Get yourself to TK Maxx and try on some skinny jeans(they have lycra in and are very comfortable and look fabulous on. Try them.

I am struggling to keep to 500 cals on a FD and below TDEE on a non fast day, but I am shrinking but not where I measure(my clothes show the difference) and not on the scales. I need to re think what I am eating and starting a log again.

The building work sounds exhausting. Well done on the micro meals, it must be quite a challenge to cook/eat. Have a great holiday Linda.

Just next week at work and then half term for a week. My plan is to do x3 FD that week, in the hope that I can shrink a bit more off the waist….

Hello everyone, well you have all been quiet while I have been away.

Cath, I hope your kitchen extension is finished and is fabulous.

I have had a tiring but wonderful holiday and glad to say only put on 4lbs – it must have been all the walking that kept the weight off. Everywhere was amazing but I have to say Niagara Falls topped the lot.

Got a cold now I’m back home to this cold, wet weather so not felt much like getting back to the 5:2 this week.

How is everyone else doing? Linda x

Hi everyone,

Not posted for a while as I have been exhausted dealing with the kitchen extension and the general cleanup required. We are 95% of the way there now – although it has had a knock-on effect to decorating other parts of the house! It is lovely though 🙂

Anyway I also haven’t done too well on the fasting front. In the last week of May, I was ultra strict and got back under 11stone (10st 13lb), but in the last 2 weeks, a combination of stopping work, and sorting out the house has seen a few pounds creep back on. So I am starting again today. I have 3 months now until my holiday in Spain so I will be getting back to the gym and trying to do 4:3 as I would love to get to 10.5 stone by then.

I also need to find a job soon so I am starting to look for a new contract. I am hoping to have some relaxation, although my first 2 weeks off have been ridiculously tiring!

Linda – good to hear you have a great holiday and only gaining 4lb is brilliant (you’ve probably lost it again by now).

How is everyone else doing?

Cath xx

Hi Cath, I’m glad your kitchen is nearly finished – I’m sure it will look amazing – the downside is always the mess isn’t it because you clean up after work’s been done and then clean up again, and again because there’s always more mess.

I’ve only lost 2lb since I came home. It’s a mystery because I have been trying hard but I’ll carry on because I know it will come off eventually. I’m still aiming for another 7lb to see if I can get below 10 stone and to find out if I can fit into size 10 trousers – my size 12 trousers are hanging off me and baggy round my bum now! The size 12 jeans are “roomy” now too which is something I never thought would happen – I was pleased just to be able to fit into them when I bought them.

I’m sure you will get to 10.5 by your holiday and good luck with the job hunting.

Hi Cath, Annette and Applepie – hope you are all doing well.

Cath, How’s the job hunting going? I find I might be in a similar position myself soon. Long story short, my job in a call centre has changed from an admin job to “on-line” i.e. customer facing. Not having done this kind of work for 20 years I am finding it challenging to say the least. So, my unemployment might be of my own making – I am just weighing up my options at the moment such as reducing my hours so I work 3 or 4 days a week to minimise the pain or, as a last resort, just leaving. It’s a difficult decision but, for my own sanity, has to be made as I don’t know how much longer I can go on – I don’t want to spend the last 6 years of my working life being miserable!

Anyway, enough of my moaning, on the plus side I have lost 2lb this week and am down to 10stone 4.2lb which means I am a tad lighter than before I went on holiday. My Mum and sister are still both saying I have lost enough (Mum, bless her thinks it’s the stress of work and says I look smaller every week now)but I still want to see if I can get to 9st 13lb which means I will have lost 3stone. We have another holiday booked at the beginning of September so I am aiming to be there by then.

Hope to hear from you soon – Linda x

Hi Linda – and Annette, Applepie and everyone else. Hope you are all doing brilliantly.

Wow Linda you are storming away aren’t you? That is fantastic progress. I am afraid I haven’t done so well of late, but got up this morning with renewed determination. I just keep hovering above & below the 11 stone mark – but as you know I’ve been doing this all year. At least I haven’t really gained – but I do need to get back into a proper routine and hopefully get to my normal BMI (10 stone 6lbs). I have been doing at least 2 fast days a week, although I suspect I am creeping over the 500 calorie mark, but my weekends are usually a disaster involving as they do, drinks and snacks 🙂

It sounds quite stressful at work for you Linda – and I agree that it is awful to be miserable at work, especially as we all spend so much time working – I really hope you get it sorted out. I’ve now had 5 weeks off! It took 4 weeks to get everything sorted out at home including a whole week stripping wallpaper off the hall stairs and landing prior to plastering (a job we hadn’t even realised needed doing when all the work started!)So last week was the first week I had any leisure. I am feeling anxious now though as I really need to get a new contract – so this week I really need to focus on this.

On the positive side my new kitchen/ding room is finished and it is absolutely amazing!!

Got up this morning and put on my gym gear – so that’s where I am headed shortly – and I aim to fast 3 days this week. My next holiday is 11th September to Spain – so I have around 9 weeks to shed those pounds!

Cath xx

Hi Cath, how are you doing? How’s the contract hunting going?

I’ve not really lost anymore weight, just seem to lose a bit and then put it back on. 6 weeks to my holiday in Portugal so still trying.

Surprisingly over the last couple of weeks a few people have commented about how much weight I have lost. I should be pleased but they are saying I am too thin now! Never in a month of Sundays will I ever, ever be too thin! About 25 or so years ago I was 9 stone and I was too thin then but I couldn’t maintain it anyway, as the weight increase over the years has proved.

I want to see if I can get down to 9 stone 13lb just to see if I can do it but the main thing for me now is to stay around this weight. I now know that should I gain a few pounds I know what to do to lose it rather than trying another diet.

Hello All,
    Great news on the kitchen, Cath. How is the job hunting going?

MrsH, No one is telling me I am too thin-well jealous! Rather shocked to find that it was 32 years ago that I was 9 stone and like you I am aiming for 9st 13lb.I am gaining and losing the same 4 or 5 lb, without making any headway, so it seems. It was my goal for 6 weeks and it really isn’t going to happen as I am around 10st 6lb, struggling to get below 10st 4lb.

Goal weight target has now been set for the end of the year. It all fell apart for me at Christmas, when I abandoned the 5:2 and gained 10 lb. I have been thinking about strategies for this year, which include making just 1 batch of mince pies and giving the rest away to my very slim friend who hates cooking. Also NOT stopping the 5:2 at all and keeping up the running through the winter for a spring half.I plan to be happy when I step on the scales on January 1st.

I am now running 3 times a week, averaging about 15 miles a week. I don’t stuff my face post run either, so it is very frustrating that my weight continues to fluctuate. I am going to walk/run a half marathon in 6 weeks time, which is my ultimate goal and I want to be as fit and as near to 10 stone as I can be(less fat to haul round 13.1 miles).

Your new work role sounds grim. Have you found another?

Onwards and downwards Fast Friends………

Hi Linda, Annette and all you Fast Friends,

Well I don’t have very much to report. It all sounds very familiar – I just keep losing and gaining the same few pounds – averaging around 11st-11st 1lb. I am still trying to do 4:3, and I am going to the gym 2-3 times a week, but a combination of not working and having an brilliant new kitchen really isn’t having the right effect! On the positive side at least I am not gaining overall but I would love to be routinely in the “10s” like you two!

My kitchen is amazing. Considering we have only added 3 metres to the back of the house, it feels HUGE! So that is fantastic, but dangerous. I even baked my first cake yesterday – and I don’t really have a sweet tooth. I invited the neighbours round to eat it – but of course there’s still some left, tempting me!

I am really trying to get a new contract for work at the moment. I hoped to have 4 or 5 weeks off – but I’ve had 8 now and although I have a few possibilities bubbling under – there’s nothing concrete as yet. I am not cut out to do nothing though. I am keeping myself as busy as possible but I do need a new challenge, and it would also be nice to start earning again!

I’m hosting an 80th birthday party for my mum at the end of August (5 weeks time) and then we are going on holiday to Spain 2 weeks later. Both these dates give me a target for losing more, so I am really trying. Also on 19th August it will be 2 years since I started 5:2 – I had thought it might take me a year to reach goal (10 stone 6lb), but now it’s clear I won’t even do it in 2 years. However, as you both mention, 5:2 does really put you in control – and I know if I was as super-strict as I was in the first year, I’d manage it! So I’ll keep plugging away, and maybe the end of the year has to be my goal as well Annette.

Linda – I’d just ignore those people saying you are too skinny – you know yourself what feels good (and is sustainable) – it annoys me that people feel they can say these things. How is your job situation going? And I think you are doing brilliantly – you do inspire me to keep going.

Annette – you put me to shame with your running – you sound like you are doing really well. I’m sure the weight will drop when you least expect it – it has a habit of doing that. by the way I am still doing the interval training on the cross trainer and I am sure it is doing me a lot of good!

Here’s to a good week!

Cath xx

Hi Cath,
    The very sad news is that I am simply consuming too many calories. I have been keeping a food log for a couple of weeks and have had a bit of a shock with what some foods cost in calorie terms.I really like avocado pears but x2 slices of toast with 1 large mashed avocado on top is coming in at around 600 calories! It is a great post-run lunch and very healthy, but with breakfast at 400 cals, it doesn’t leave me much for dinner when my TDEE(which includes the running) is only 1866.
    So, my new plan for this week is to continue the food log, eat up to the TDEE (rather than over) and have x2 FD of 500 calories. I suppose the truth will out and Saturday will be weigh in. I am very keen to shift more tummy too.
    The running is getting easier and my legs ache less as the weeks tick by. I have no choice but to get the miles in if I am going to get round, in reasonable shape. I am following a running plan, so no excuses, just out and run.
    I am already thinking about Christmas, which has been a major downfall for me 2 years running, when I have put on 10 lb and then spent the following year trying to shift it. I need to get back that motivation that I had when i started although there was the threat of statins hanging over me!
    The simple fact is that habits are making us fat, not food.

Do you know what Annette, you are absolutely right, I have got into some bad habits. Reading your post inspired me to recalculate my TDEE – which is 1778. Blimey I must eat way more calories than that on non-fast days! Also even on fast days I’ve noticed a tendency at around 9pm to have a cuppa and a few biscuits – out of boredom really, as I genuinely don’t have a sweet tooth. Obviously I don’t count these in my daily total!! Otherwise on my fast days I am reasonably OK – just doing my tried and tested beans or egg on toast tea after a day of water & fruit teas.

So I will take a leaf out of your book and do some logging starting today. It is a fast day for me – and I’ve just done a really tough gym session (I can always tell as my face turns an unattractive shade of purple!) so I feel as though it could be a good week. Going to do a big salad for tea for a change as I have time to prepare it. But the key is what I have on non-fast days, and ridding myself of the sneaky snacks!

Hope your week goes well – I’ll let you know how I get on 🙂

Cath xx

Great. Lets see what we can achieve by the weekend?
    It will be really interesting if there is less of us.It will certainly prove the point!

x2 biscuits, depending what they are might be another 200 calories….I don’t have them in the house, but I do bake and there are 2 tray bakes on the table(I walk past them with my eyes averted on a FD).

Fast Day for me too. So no breakfast and then lunch which has been homemade vegetable soup(no idea how many calories, but can’t be many), just had a couple of carrots to keep me going. I may have salmon and peas for tea, while I will cook the boys chilli and rice.

I’ll let you know on Saturday.

Hello All,
    I am exactly the same as I went away with family and ate out. Nothing short of a miracle that I didn’t gain, but then I also ran 10 miles on top of walking every day. There is no avoiding the power of the calorie.

I might have a bash at x3 FD next week to see if I can get things moving, although my clothes are showing signs that there is less of me now.

I am writing down everything that I eat and drink and totting up the calories starting today just for a week so that I can see which habits I need to ditch. Just been out for an 8 mile run/walk which took 1 hour and 45 mins and used just 907 calories(for my weight and height). Sadly that is already part of my TDEE.

I am planning to eat up to the TDEE of the weight that I want to be, which is 9 lb less of me and only 65 calories less of my current allowance. If I can learn what that looks like then maintenance should be a breeze, in theory.

How is everyone doing?

Hi Ladies, I think I need to start keeping a food log an check my TDEE as I’m not losing any more weight. It’s crept up a bit this week but I did go to Pizza Hut after work one day this week (not something I would normally do) and then had fish and chips the next day when my son came round with them. I’ve tried to be careful for the rest of the week but it’s not helped. Oh dear I just remembered the Vanilla slice I had on Wednesday – my Mum gave it to my Sister to give to me!

On a more positive note I’ve been looking at my weight loss record and this time last year I was wanting to get down to 11st for my Australia trip.
    I made it to 11st 1lb which means that since then I’ve actually lost another 10lbs. If I’d been stricter with myself perhaps I would be at 9st 13lb by now but I’m getting there.

Like you Cath it’s nearly 2 years since I started this. I had no real time scale in mind to get to my goal weight but after the first stone came off relatively easily it seems to have taken so long to lose the rest. I think I need to cut back on the snacks on non-fast days as it’s so easy to just have “one more”.

Well done with the running Annette – I’m still using the vibration plate as my main exercise plan along the Thigh Magic machine and step machine that I bought ages ago and have been using to change things around a bit.

I hope you get a new contract soon Cath. I’m still plodding on at work – I have to say that sometimes I feel less stressed but I’ve still a long way to go. I think it’s the thought of having to find another job after 40 years with the same company that puts me off leaving at the moment – CV, job interviews etc. I don’t feel ready to retire yet but I’m not sure what I want to do…..don’t want to swap one bad job for another. On the other hand, when I have had a bad day, all I want to do is jack it in and do nothing at all.

Fingers crossed we all see some good results soon. Linda x

Hi Linda,
    The running is just about following a training schedule. If I want to complete the course then I just have to put the training in. How ironic that I have avoided any kind of fitness and then at 50 decided that I wanted a fit and healthy future. I am never going to be fast, but at least I am having a go!

I can see after day 1 of the food and calorie log, where I am going wrong. It is very very easy to consume more calories than your TDEE.The first thing that I did this morning was to find out what each part of a roast dinner costs in calorie terms and my guesses were way out! We are going to have a roast and that isn’t really the problem for me. I need to watch the snacking, ban the ice cream on a stick(300 calories)and keep an eye on the almond consumption.For me it isn’t the meals, but the everything else that is making the difference.

I am very hopeful that there should be some good news at the end of the week. After all, counting up to 1800 every day really isn’t much of a stretch until I learn what my food costs and then I can make informed decisions. I am starting to feel back in control again and it feels good. Onwards and down wards Fast Friends.

Morning All,
    I fasted on Monday and have lost 1 lb and a smidgen. I am doing so again today, which is fine as I am still full from dinner last night(homemade meatballs/pasta/tomato sauce.

The truth of the matter is that I was consuming more calories than my TDEE, which is why I I have been losing and gaining these same lbs for ages. Writing down what I eat with the calories and a running total is really helping me to see where I choose to ‘spend’ those calories. I am weighing the almonds to 25g=144 calories, refusing to by ice cream and having the occasional piece of home made sponge cake.

I can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner without feeling deprived. Snacking has for the most part stopped and I don’t really miss the mindless eating.I didn’t need it, was often bored or tired. Until I get the hang of it, counting up to 1800 every day is fine.

How are you all getting on?

Well done Annette! Great if the pounds are starting to shift again 😉 And Linda I think you’ve done amazingly this year. Checking my diary shows I am the same overall – aaargh!

Nothing good to report at this end unfortunately. In fact I have felt really miserable this week. I’ve done 3 fast days and been doing more cardio at the gym and I’ve also been swimming – but I can see where extra snacks/portion sizes have sneaked in – so I’ve stayed the same again. I just need to get a grip! It is just that I don’t have enough to do – so I am obsessing about food, and eating tea really early so I end up hungry again later in the evening.

The job situation is still getting me down – I am probably being unrealistic expecting anything to happen in August but some days it feels like I will never get a job. This is all part of contracting I know – it was just that I got my first 2 contracts quite easily so this is a bit of a shock. I just need human contact and to use my brain a bit! Also I’ve had decorators in all week doing the hall & stairs so I’ve had to make myself scarce – hence spending more hours at the gym! Anyway the final bit of the whole extension/DIY project is to reinstate everything in the hall (pictures etc.) and get my new carpet fitted (next Sat). I will be so pleased when it is finally completed!

Sorry to sound downhearted – I am trying hard to be positive – and I am determined to try to lose something next week – there has to be something to show from 3 fast days!

Cath x

That sounds tough Cath. Fingers crossed for a job and a result from 3 fast days. I am back at work in 3 weeks and had hoped to be slimmer than I am at this point of the summer. I have spent time de-cluttering, shredding, clearing, organizing, trips to the dump and charity shops. I had no idea that it would all take such a long time.

I hope that we all have good news very soon.

My scales are broken. I tripped over them last night, moved them onto their side and this morning they claim that I am 9st 12-I wish!

However, I have lost another inch from my natural waist(I am high waisted)and another inch off the round the navel measure, which is fabulous.I am keeping my fingers crossed that the shrinkage will now move to below my waist, such a shame there is no control where the fat goes from.

Last night, to keep myself busy on a FD, I tried on loads of my clothes and now have a large pile that are too big and don’t fit, or I will never wear. I have came to the conclusion that I am smaller across my back, shoulders and arms. There is quite a tummy to go though and that is holding me back in several pairs of trousers and those elusive pink linen shorts.

Digital scale shopping……

Thanks Annette – and great that those inches are reducing. It’s brilliant when you have a clear out – especially those clothes that you never really liked, and swap them for something nicer and more flattering 🙂

From today I have started being uber-strict like I was back at the start (in August 2013) as I really need to move from this ridiculous plateau I’ve been on all year! This week I am going to visit my parents on Wednesday so I am having back to back fast days today and tomorrow. I’ve been to the gym today, will do tomorrow, and will go swimming with my mam later in the week. I have renewed determination to stop sliding upwards/staying the same!

5 weeks to holiday is my motivation 🙂

Will weigh in on Friday.

Hope you have a great week!

Cath xx

My scales were fine after I took the battery out and then back in! I lost 2 lb as well last week, so very happy and now certain that it all hangs on what I put in my mouth. It is very illuminating keeping a running total of the calories consumed up to my TDEE as well. I was being undone by the mindless in between meals noshing and too big portions.

Well done Cath. I am sure that you will see a difference too. Think what you can achieve in 5 weeks? I shall wait with bated breath for Fridays result. Not sure when I will weigh yet.

Onwards and downwards………

Hi Ladies,

I’ve not started counting the calories on NFD yet but my TDEE is 1880 which when you think about it is quite a lot more than the 500 calories of fast days, however, I do need to factor in the 2000 calories (that’s on the higher side as it varies every week) that I have in lager at the weekend! I did get down to 10st 3.2lb though last week but I am was 10st 4.4lb this morning but I know it varies day to day.

I’m having a tough time at the moment as my 83 year old Mum has been in hospital since Sunday after having a fall. It’s all very worrying as she was unconscious at one point and they thought she might have broken her hip. Thankfully it’s not broken but she has punctured a lung as she broke some ribs and cannot speak to us either. As yet she hasn’t really opened her eyes and they can’t rule out a stroke although she has had a lumbar puncture which was clear. She does seem to know that me and my 2 sisters are there and I know she is there somewhere but nobody is telling us anything – if they don’t know anything I wish they would just say that! I’ve not been to work yet this week but it is one of the few times I would rather be there than doing what I am doing now.

I hope your work situation improves soon Cath and I’m sure you will start to lose again too.

Well done on your loss Annette, it’s great when you can get rid of clothes that don’t fit any more isn’t it. I sometimes can’t believe how many inches have disappeared. Like you say though you can’t control where the fat goes from and it does all hang on what you put in your mouth! Linda x

Oh Linda,
    What a worry for you. I was always taught as a nurse(a long time ago) that hearing was the last sense to be present, so to treat people as if they can hear you and chat away about anything and everything. It does feel weird but you can share the load with the family. You could always try massaging some hand cream into her hand and chatting about when you were young, the past may have some impact.Good that she hasn’t broken her hip but broken ribs and a punctured lung suggest that she landed with some force and I am sure she is very sore. Does she have a chest drain in? Is she having regular pain relief? Why don’t you arrange to see one of the senior doctors with the family?

Focus on your Mum and don’t worry about fasting.

Sending hugs…

Hi Annette, yes she does have a chest drain and is having regular pain relief. She was sedated at one point so it has been hard to know whether she can hear us or not – and she is very hard of hearing so that hasn’t helped! She did just get some hearing aids last week so we put them in yesterday which is perhaps why she was a bit more responsive. She has also been suffering from Sciatica for over 12 months so she has been in a lot of pain anyway and I don’t suppose being pushed and pulled about has helped that either. We can tell that she has said “I want” but then it just tails off – knowing Mum she’s probably saying ” I want to be left alone”.

I’m waiting for my Sister to let me know if she has been able to find anything out as she was going to ring them later this morning and ask what is going on. You are right though, if she can’t get any answers we will be asking to speak to a senior doctor when we go this afternoon.

It’s just so hard seeing her like she is and knowing she wouldn’t want to not be able to help herself – she’s tough though and we are trying to stay positive.

Thanks for the hug, I really needed one x

It is only Tuesday, so not long for an elderly person after such a fall.
    No one would want to be in that position, but she won’t remember it either. Being tough is very much a bonus.

Sending more hugs.Keep us posted xx

Linda – I am so sorry that your mum is not well. Lots of hugs from me too! You are doing the right things visiting and talking to her – and especially ensuring she has her hearing aids in, but I can imagine how much of a worry it is not really knowing what is going on, and also seeing her so poorly. My mum (who is almost 80) was ill for the first 6 months of this year – with 5 lots of hospitalisation (often without her hearing aids!), and it was really worrying. The treatment was great but sometimes the communication was lacking! Like Annette says, being tough is a bonus, and I am sure she must be aware that you and your sisters are there for her. I really hope that you get more feedback from the medical staff today.

Your lager comment made me smile – that’s me too! I really wouldn’t worry about such small fluctuations in your day to day weight, you are doing really well. It is not what you need to worry about at a time like this.

Sending hugs & good wishes!

Cath xx

Hi Ladies, just to give an update on my Mum which is that it’s not looking good. She has deteriorated over the last couple of days and doesn’t seem to know we are there now. They have confirmed she has had a stroke but think she banged her head too and say the damage is quite extensive. They want to do another MRI scan but not until she is more responsive but, the bottom line is that all they can do for her now is to keep her comfortable.

Sorry to hear that and thanks for letting us know. I had been wondering how she was. How are you?
    Sending hugs.
    A xx

Oh Linda – you poor thing. I hope you are looking after yourself. I am sure that they are everything they can for your mum – but it must be awful just waiting and not being able to communicate with her.

Thinking of you and sending big big hugs

Cath xxxx

After the week of higher than TDEE consumption, no surprise that my weight is exactly the same. It could have been worse and I could have gained. The only thing in my favour was that I have run 3 times this last week.

Week 2 of the eat up to the TDEE only on 5 NFD and 2 FD of 500.

Still struggling to lose – though at least I am not gaining. I go on holiday next week though which spells trouble – ho hum.

Linda – how are you m’dear – and how is your mum doing?

Annette – how re things with you.

Cath xx

Hi Cath, Mum is still hanging in there but now no response at all and the consultant says she doesn’t know we are there now. It’s heart breaking because she did know us at one point but the brain damage is too great to operate on/repair and she is probably having more bleeds which is why she is deteriorating. All we can do now is be there for her (and each other) and wait for the inevitable – and be grateful for the years we have had with her.

Diet wise I have put 5lbs on (which Mum would like) as I’ve just been eating rubbish most of the time. I’ve given myself a talking to this morning and must stop it! We have cancelled our holiday and I have told myself this is the weight I would have put on while I was away so need to be more sensible now and make better choices.

Sorry you are still struggling, just go and have a great holiday and worry about it when you get back – Linda x

Hi Linda,

I am so very sorry about your mum – sending you big hugs. It’s hardly surprising that you have gained weight in the circumstances so don’t be too hard on yourself – you know that you have it in you to get back on the straight and narrow but you are having a very tough time at the moment.

My problems seem rather pathetic by comparison. I have a sniff of a new job (back contracting with my old employer) but no certainty of start date – and clearly it won’t be before my holiday. I think if I had a confirmed start date I’d just be able to relax. Hopefully I’ll hear something this week. I’m still doing a couple of fasts a week – though gym attendance is poor as I have what I think is the start of sciatica. I am going to go today though to see if some gentle moving helps.

But in general I will have my holiday and then restart with a better level of commitment!

Take care of yourself Linda and let me know how things go. I’m thinking about you and hoping for the best.

Cath xx

Linda, so sorry to hear about your mum. Be kind to yourself. Sending lots of hugs.

Cath, I hope there is good news soon on the job front and hope that your mobility improves very soon.

Me? I have a Half Marathon on Sunday morning. I have stopped fasting the last couple of weeks as I just felt that it was sensible as I am running 20 miles/week. I will give myself next week off to recover and then I will be back to it Fast Friends. I have learned that it doesn’t matter what exercise I do, if I want to lose weight then I have to watch what I put in my gob…and how much!

Hi Ladies, thanks for your hugs, I really needed them. Still no change with Mum, it’s so hard seeing her lying there but at least she is still with us.

Hope you have a great holiday Cath and have good news on the job front when you get back. Sciatica can be hell so take care.

Good luck with the half marathon Annette – I know exactly what you mean about watching what you put in your gob, and how much.

Thank you.
    Just packing our race provisions to try and quell the panic. It is entirely possible that I will consume more calories than I will burn….

Very hot run with little shade. Got round uninjured and wasn’t last! I was also 12 minutes faster than I though I might be, so very pleased.

Ooh back from holiday and I’m afraid all the beer and tapas has taken a toll – and I am up to a shameful 11stone 7lb – a check back through my 5:2 diary of over 2 years shows I haven’t weighed this much since May 2014 🙁 Well nevermind, I had a lovely time and I feel extremely motivated to shed those unwanted pounds, and the best thing is I know I will, once back in my 5:2 routine 🙂

Still no job – but things seems to be picking up in the contract market so I am optimistic. I am also heading out to the gym today…my sciatica pains haven’t gone but it is not acute so I am going to test the water and see if some gentle exercise helps- both with the sciatica and getting rid of that fat!!

Linda – how are things with you m’dear? Is there any change with your mum? Hope there is some good news, and that you are looking after yourself.

Annette – well done on your running – as always I am full of admiration – how are you getting on?

Cath xx

Hi Cath, glad to know you had a great holiday – – – now to get down to losing those pounds again … I know you can do it!! I’ve got no room to talk as I’ve up to 10 stone 9lbs – I lost a couple of pounds and then put it back on again.

Would you believe Mum is still with us? After a bit of a nightmare where the Doctors decided to start feeding her again she has moved hospitals and has now been without nutrition again for the last 12 days. To be honest we don’t know how she is hanging on. Last week she even tried to talk again after there being no response for a couple of weeks. She was definitely more alert too and did know we were there for at least part of the time and even smiled at us which was really heart breaking knowing that she could only get worse. For the last couple of days though she has been very quiet and we have not really got any response from her. I think it can only be a matter of days now but still none of us are really prepared for it – it’s just so difficult.

Linda x

Hello,
    I have been struggling with not only keeping within my TDEE but FD too. I have no idea why except that I had a break for 3 weeks and now I am finding it hard to get back into..weird, but there it is. I am sitting at 10st 5lb and just seems stuck, although I can pull my zipped up jeans down!
    My goal is just 5 lb in the next 12 weeks and to keep it off. My TDEE at 10 st is small and even smaller if I don’t run. Now that it is chilly and rainy I have less inclination to get out there and just do it. I have borrowed a book on Pilates by Darcy Bussell which I hope will give me a stronger core, which will just be great but also help me to run better.
    Fingers crossed on the job front Cath. Join me with Pilates to help your sciatica.
    Linda, I am sending lots of hugs and thinking of you.

So today’s weigh in still 11 stone 7lb – but I will be doing 4:3 again from next week.

Linda – I’m sorry to hear that nothing has improved – your poor mum! And it must be especially hard for you and all the family, just watching and waiting. I’m not surprised that you’ve gained a little weight in the circumstances, but you have still done amazingly well and I know you’ll get back to it when you can. Sending you lots of love and good wishes.

Annette – 10 stone 5lb is brilliant (I can only dream of that at the moment!!)- but as ever, and as we all know only too well, it is all about picking ourselves up, dusting ourselves off and starting again and I know you can do it! You really inspire me to keep going.

I managed a reasonably normal gym session on Wednesday – albeit the 30 minutes on the crosstrainer were in rather slow-motion. Still had the sciatica twinges afterwards but they didn’t seem to be that much worse and getting some exercise made me feel good. I have done Pilates in the past Annette – and actually that is a great idea – so whilst I still have time on my hands I will investigate as I think my gym does classes. I remember the principles but I think I’d need a refresher on the techniques.

Cath xx

Hi Ladies,

Well, it’s happened – Mum passed away on Sunday morning. After all the hours of sitting with her we weren’t there but were told it was peaceful; she just slipped away. I’m just so incredibly sad now at the thought of never seeing her again – she’s always been here and I’m going to miss her so much.

I think we are all struggling weight-wise as the moment (I daren’t get weighed at the moment) but I’m sure we will support each other like we usually do and get back into it soon xx

Hi Linda,

Oh you poor thing – I am so sorry to hear that. It was good that it was peaceful but so very sad for you and all your family. Sending lots of hugs your way.

Forget the weight for now – you don’t need any more stress or pressure and it is a tough and very sad time. Just look after yourself and you’ll know when you are ready to get back to your regime – and we will be here when you are.

Thinking about you,

Cath xx

Pleased to report that I am starting to see results at last. Started this week at 11 stone 8.5lb (after a heavy weekend) but after 3 fast days and a LOT of exercise I have dropped 3lb to 11 stone 5.5lb. First real loss for ages so I am getting my motivation back. Strangely it is also the first week I have really tried to stick to the fasting and exercise regime. Funny that 🙂

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Cath x

Well done Cath.
    I have no doubt that NFD are the weak link. So it will be back to logging what I scoff next week which isn’t as tedious as I thought but a real eye opener in the calorie cost of food that I enjoy. Weight is on a slow downward trajectory but I know that if I want to shift it faster then just make sure that I keep to the TDEE on a NFD.
    I want to be 10 stone at Christmas and again afterwards for my 55th birthday in January… or even a little bit lighter.

As Nike says ‘just do it’. My new mantra.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 473 total)

You must be logged in to reply.