My 16 week countdown

This topic contains 467 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 8 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 473 total)

• Hi Linds, well done on the downward trajectory of the weight.

Cath, Well done!!!!!!! That is an amazing loss of weight, to say nothing of the waist inches….gone.

My groove seems to be short-lived. I am at a bit of a loss to know what to do. Those same lbs go on, and come off after ages. I think I might be sabotaged by hormones(at 53). I have seen the sports physio again yesterday and my leg is much better, so back to the gym(perhaps this evening). We ran the 5K on Sunday and I managed to run the course and cover it in just 4 minutes slower than my PB.

All thoughts very welcome.

Hi Annette:

In reading your posts, it appears you have upped your exercise levels quite a bit. This often results in a moderation or cessation of weight loss: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/exercise-is-dangerous-for-your-diet/

Just keep on with your diet and the weight will come off eventually.

Good Luck!

Hi simcoeluv,
    I hadn’t run at all for over a month and have not been near a gym because it hurt to sit down, so even arm weights were not an option. I missed dancing too. Not back at the gym, back dancing and just one 5K run, so I don’t think that adds up to a big increase in exercise.
    I am still stumped.

Hi Annette:

Guess I saw your posts on working with a sports physio and having sore muscles (water retention) and running a race and thought you were exercising more.

Here is how to deal with a plateau: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/on-plateaus/

Good Luck!

Sore torn contracted very painful thigh, I could hardly get up stairs never mind exercise!Eventually, one day,the inches across the hips will shrink, although sadly neither you or I can predict when that might be. Ho hum.

Hi Annette:

Sorry about your injury. But it is not the activity that causes water retention, it is the damage to the muscles caused by the activity. The body needs water to repair damaged muscles, but the damage can come from many causes. Think of how an ankle swells up if twisted – the swelling is water rushing to the site to help repair the damage.

Your ‘torn’ thigh would require water retention to repair, as would any damage caused by your running.

But I guess I would count calories for a couple of non diet days to see if I was around my TDEE.

Good Luck!

Hi Cath, well I’ve made it but only just – I was 10stone 13.6lb this morning when I got weighed! That just over 27lb lost. Still a way to go to 10.7 but it’s in the right direction. Hope you are doing ok this week and it’s not so manic workwise.

Annette, hope you are getting on ok – don’t despair, I wonder sometimes too what else I can do but the thought of putting it all back on again if I stop spurs me on.

Linda

Hey Linda that is brilliant – it is SO LOVELY to see that 10 come up in place of the 11 isn’t it? You will get to 10 stone 7 and it is getting ever nearer! Are you aiming for Xmas?

Well I have had a mad week! My project went live on Sunday so had to work a long day – and there were some problems so the whole thing had to be finished off on Monday. Then a few days of dashing like a loony to complete everything and handover before leaving.

Today I have started my new job in earnest! The nice thing is I am mainly home based so I’ve had almost 3 hours extra in bed, got up, put on gym gear (as determined to go later) and then shuffled into the spare room and my PC. I am so pleased not to have to do the early starts and driving, not to mention dealing with all the technical stuff that leaves me feeling stupid!

This week I have only done 1 gym session so far. I fasted normally Monday and all day yesterday, but then I went out last night and had a pizza and several glasses of wine – so definitely not within my fast day calories! I am therefore fasting again today and will try to get to the gym this afternoon once I’ve read through everything that has been sent to me for my new role.

I’ll do my weekly weigh in tomorrow and hope I may have lost something…but we’ll see.

Cath

Hi Cath, you’re right it was lovely to see the 10 come up – I couldn’t quite believe it! I am aiming for 10.7 before Christmas.

Still busy I see, hopefully it will calm down now and it will be better for you anyway without the travelling and more time to go to the gym.

Good luck with the weigh in. Linda

Congrats Linda and Cathy, below 11st, that’s fantastic, well done both of you, you must both need new wardrobes by now 🙂

I feel for you Annette, that muscle pain sounds very difficult to manage, hang in there xx

And again, WOOOHOOO Cathy and Linds!!

Aud x

Thanks Aud – lovely to hear from you – I hope everything is going well and you are feeling less stressed!

Bit disappointed this week as I stayed the same despite 3 fast days and 2 gym trips (albeit one ‘fast’ day ending with pizza and wine!). Then stupidly I really overate yesterday (Saturday) – I have no idea why, just had loads of snacks and then baked potato and chilli for tea, despite not being remotely hungry. I actually made myself feel ill and had to go to bed at 9pm, feeling really bloated and horrible. Anyway I am trying to get back on the straight & narrow today with healthy eating – and will do 3 fast days this coming week.

Linda – hope you are faring better than me – I think 10.7 is achievable before Xmas, although I have 2 weekends away looming – next weekend in West Cork, Ireland with 2 old girlfriends I haven’t seen for about 4 years, and then 2 weeks later a long weekend in Berlin with my mam & dad to see the Xmas markets. So I am going to have to be super-good in between times!

Annette – how are you doing? Really hope your thigh is responding to treatment and you are making progress.

Cath x

Hello fast friends,
    My thigh is much improved and I ran a 5K 2 weeks ago(for the poppy appeal)after not running at all for 5 weeks and it was fine. Today I ran a very slow 10K with my son(we have a 10K next weekend for Movember). My son is training to see if he can do it in an hour, I am planning to stagger round half an hour longer.

I was fed up, weight the same, measurements the same…and then I put on my just washed jeans. They are baggy at the back of my thighs and sliding down!!I am delighted. Clearly that cm where the tape measure goes over the hips, is not where I am shrinking-school boy error.

Nearly forgot, there is a teeny weeny indentation in middle of my tummy for a couple of inches north/south. There is muscle there after all!

Hi Cath, I’ve lost just over half a pound this week so I am dead on 10stone 13lb. It doesn’t sound much but at least I have lost a tiny bit and stayed under 11stone. I am in Liverpool this weekend and the Christmas diary is getting booked up too – 3 meals out so far – so I will have to be super-good for the rest of the time I think.

At least you stayed the same Cath – we all have slip ups now and again. One of my things is still eating when I’m not hungry. Sometimes I can control it and other times I can’t – sometimes I just say sod it!

I went for my results today and my cholesterol is up on last year by half a point to 5. It’s ok but I was hoping for it to have reduced as I thought loss of weight and the fasting was supposed to do this. I have read that other people’s has increased too but as long as it’s still at an acceptable level I suppose I shouldn’t bother. The good thing was that all the other tests came back ok so the pre-diabetes (which I wasn’t convinced of anyway) has gone away. This was partly the reason why I started this WOE so at least something has worked and got me to lose 2 stone in the process.

Annette, I bet it felt good to find your jeans are bigger on you. I didn’t measure everywhere but I have found I have lost weight on places like my feet and fingers!! I figure that somewhere along the line the tum will go – probably last!

Linda x

Yay! 10 stone 13 is great Linda! That’s where I’ve been for the last 2 weigh ins, and I think there’s a psychological boost at staying under the 11 stone mark. And 2 stones less overall is really great. It is a bit strange about your cholesterol isn’t it? Although it sounds like there’s no cause for concern.

Fab news that the pre-diabetes is no more. Although I started 5:2 to lose some weight in preparation for my hip replacement, it has always been uppermost in my mind to try to avoid diabetes. My husband is a Type 2 diabetic, now insulin dependent, who spent years in denial before getting it under control, and my mam was diagnosed with Type 2 in her 60s – she’s 80 next year. I am a similar ‘apple shape’ to her and I do not want to go through all the stuff my husband does or run those risks – and weight loss/control seems to be the key.

And I do know what you mean about eating when not hungry – I was awful last weekend, but have tried really hard this week – 3rd fast day today and hoping for a loss of some sort tomorrow morning. God, today has been tough though – I must have had 6 cups of fruit tea and my stomach is still growling 🙁

And Annette – you are amazing with your casually mentioned 5ks and 10ks in spite of injuries! It makes a massive difference to see the scales move downwards and I know how depressing it is to stay the same when you have tried so hard – but the proof really is how your clothes fit – so something is working.

One thing I have learned is that the weight loss is seldom linear and predictable. Last week I was really disappointed to stay the same after trying so hard, but I know it will show on the scales eventually.

Will update with this week’s results tomorrow.

Cath x

Hi Cathyork:

You may have seen on this site (or others) that intermittent fasting can help totally reverse type 2 diabetes – even for those that have been on insulin for a long time. Here is the thread: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/type-ii-diabetes/

And here is some scientific information:

This gives a very basic outline of how and has many success stories: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAwgdX5VxGc

This is a speech to other doctors and is much more detailed in what causes diabetes and how to cure it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oZ4UqtbB_g

There is much more (over 8 hours worth) clinical information posted on other threads on this site that fills in the scientific basis for why/how it works.

Good Luck!

Well I’ve lost half a pound this week – at least it is a loss and considering my appalling Saturday that’s pretty good. It just took 3 whole fast days to achieve!

The overall stats are looking good:

starting weight (19 Aug 13) 13st 8.5lbs
    weight now (14 Nov 14) 10st 12.5lbs
    TOTAL LOSS = 38lb or 2 stone 10lb

Now a push to lose the 6.5lb that will get me to a ‘normal’ BMI!

And thanks for the links simcoeluv – the evidence is convincing but no way by husband will do 5:2 as it involves too many insulin dosage calculations! I’m hoping losing my midriff visceral fat will keep me safe!

Cath x

Well done Fast Friends! You are fabulous.Amazing weight losses, we could ‘make’ several adults with all that we have lost!
    Movember 10K in thick fog this morning, little nap this afternoon, off out for an evening of Ceroc later.The course was treacherous and very hilly. My son managed 1hour 8 minutes and I was aiming/expecting for 1hour 30 mins BUT managed 1 hour 22mins! Very pleased that I got round with a thigh not yet recovered and 8 minutes faster.
    I am going to put the scales away for the next 4 weeks as the lack of movement is depressing and carry on looking at my skirts. The losses last year were so obvious,and this year are going to be much less so. I need to change my expectations.

What an amazing thread!

I’ve been cheering, commiserating, biting fingernails and all in all enjoying the stories tremendously as I read along.

Thanks so much for sharing Cathyork, and everyone else! It’s all very inspirational 🙂

Best of luck to everyone in your continued adventures. Mine has only just recently started and I am at that lovely beginning stage of any diet where the changes are obvious and fast! Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever stuck to any diet long enough to plateau out, so your tips and ideas in this thread have been very helpful in preparing me for what’s to come.

Thanks again

CS

Flipping heck I’ve put on 1.3lbs – that’s what over indulging in a long weekend in Liverpool does for you! I haven’t been that good either since I got back so I only have myself to blame.

I’m not disheartened this week though. Thoughts of “should I give up on the 10.7 aim for Christmas seeing as it’s creeping ever closer” have been pushed to the back of my mind and I will carry on and see how much I can lose. Linda

Hi everyone,

Didn’t post on Friday as I’d gained and was feeling a bit glum – but have pulled myself together now. Had just had a fab weekend in Clonakilty, West Cork with 2 old mates and of course had eaten and drank far too much so the gain was all my fault. I had done 3 fast days and 2 gym visits last week after returning, but this was obviously not enough to offset the damage. Anyway I ended up 1b up @ 10 stone 13.5lb.

Trying hard this week – doing 3 fast days, although yet to get to the gym. This weekend I am off to Berlin for a long weekend with my mam & dad to see the Xmas markets. Going Friday – Monday so I am going to have to try really hard not to go overboard…

I have lots of lovely things planned in the next few weeks, prior to Xmas, although rather worryingly most involve eating & drinking, and then I am going on holiday on 27th. It is a bit crazy – all my holidays seems to be packed into the last 3 months of the year. So I am going to try to be super-good between now and 24th December – and make all the right ‘light choices’ when eating out. We’ll see. I’d love to hit the 3 stone mark before Xmas but that’s at least 5lb away as at last Friday’s weight…

Cath x

Hi everyone, well I have managed to get down to 10stone 12.8lb. I have another week or so before the Xmas “do”s kick in (4 to go to up to now) so am still trying hard to be good.

Have a great weekend Cath. All I can say is don’t not enjoy yourself for the sake of a couple of pounds. We know we can get it off!!

How’s everyone else doing? Linda x

No weigh in today as I am sure I have gained again – last weekend was a long one at the Berlin Xmas markets and there was eating & drinking aplenty. I just seem to have failed to have proper fast days this week – I have attempted 2, but didn’t stick to the 500 calories for my evening meal on either day. Also I’ve not been to the gym for 2 weeks!

Oh dear!

Fasting properly today – not drinking tonight as going to a concert, so hopefully that will help and I will weigh in tomorrow. Reckon I’ve got 2 more weeks to do 4:3 before Xmas although I have loads of social events lined up too. Going on my hols on 27th December and 10 days of it is on a beach so I really want to be as slim as possible by then!

How is everyone else doing?

Cath xx

I’ve managed to lost 2lb this week as I have been really good. I’ve managed to squeeze myself into some size 12 jeans – I will definitely know if put any on with them!

Fingers crossed you will have lost some this week Cath. I hope you enjoy the concert. Linda x

Ooh well done Linda – that’s fantastic!

Onwards and downwards…

Cath x

Hello,
    I put on 10lb and 9 inches last December when I stopped the 5:2(no idea why) and although my weight has not changed much since then, my body shape certainly has.I have lost 6 inches where I measure, but lost loads where I don’t as well. My size 12 jeans are baggy at the backs of my thighs and are sliding down over my rear(which is odd as I still have 2 inches to lose on my hips). I now have a long waist,toned arms and legs, along with some little abs. I am of the opinion that my age(almost 54)is making my progress slower than it might have been.
    I am going to enjoy the festive season(2 Christmas Dinners this week at work)sadly I love cake, pudding and mince pies.But also fit in FD through December(attempt one on Boxing Day) and then see where I am in January.
    I have ordered a pedometer and although I might clock up 7000 in a working day(I walk 45 mins each way to work), I don’t come anywhere near during the school holidays or weekends. So the plan is to reach 10,000 steps each and every day, with a couple of FD a week and see if I can shift those pesky inches.

Hi Guys,

I have bee following your thread for a while now – well done with all your losses, you have done so well!

I am just starting back again (I tried once before)and I was wondering if you would mind sharing some of you fast day meals/plans or any tips seeing as several of you have been doing this for a while now.

Cheers,

Also, do you find there is much benefit in doing 4:3 versus 5:2 and can you do 4:3 every week or is it too much?

Hi mumbo:

Most find it is better to start with 5:2 and get used to their diet days before doing even more of them. In addition, you don’t gain that much with the third day. Number 4 in this post will explain what I mean: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi aud,

I’m not contributing much to the forum these days, but I thought I’d catch up with you to tell you I’ve passed the MA. The final pass list hasn’t yet been published, but if my sums are right – not always the case 🙁 – I’ll have done enough to get an overall Merit, to match the one I got for the dissertation. Next year I’ll be up in your native Scotland, to work on the Glasgow Tenement House book, which will be a reworking of my independent research project report, from which emerged some wonderful human interest stories.

Hi cathyork,

Thank you for your good wishes re the MA result. Really sweet of you to remember. 🙂 I envy you your trip to Berlin, but not the freezing cold. I’ve been there at Christmas and it’s definitely brass monkey weather.

The family situation has eased a bit and, all being well, my great-nephews and their lovely mum will be with us this weekend. Sadly though, after that there will be a lot of to-ing and fro-ing and appeasing the ogre before we can all meet again, probably in several months’ time.

Well I’ve put half a pound back on and that’s after having the first of my Xmas meals – I was really good too and didn’t have any pudding! I’ve 3 meals next week so will that be another pound and a half on?

I wish I had a long waist Annette. If I got down to 9 stone I still wouldn’t have one! I am working on the abs though and can see a difference.

I’m 59 and don’t know if my age is making progress slower or not. I’ve been looking back though and the first stone actually came off in the first 3 months. It’s taken me a whole year of ups and downs though to lose another stone! I reckon that the first stone was easier based on the “easy on, easy” off principle because I had mainly put a stone on during that year. However long it took me though, I am now just over 2 stone lighter and feeling good.

I’m going to try a fast day or two over Christmas as I don’t want to put 6lb on like I did last Christmas and carry on with the excercise. I have a Vibrapower plate which is helping me tone up.

Mumbojumbo I keep my fast day meals very simple. I try not to eat at all during the day saving it all for the evening. I usually have something like chicken or tuna and salad or an omlette with veg or salad or boiled/poached eggs with a couple of slices of toast). I fast Mondays and Wednesdays and whilst I’ve not actually tried 4:3 I do try to cut down on Tuesdays and Thursdays too. Some days I actually have to remind myself that it’s not a fast day! Good luck and don’t forget to drink plenty of water, green tea etc.

Linda

Down to 10 stone 12 this week (with 2 weird readings of 10 stone 10 that I could not reproduce on the scales, as hard as I might try!!)

I am happy with 10 stone 12 as that is my lowest to date. Just 3.5 lbs off a 3 stone loss:-)

I have another ‘heavy’ weekend planned with meals out but I will try ever so hard not to go mad :-)I’m doing one more week of 4:3 next week and then I plan 3 weeks off. I’ll try to be careful but I do anticipate a gain of some sort.

Linda – ooh how annoying a pound up after a meal where you didn’t have pud! The main thing is that we are so aware that eating extra things out of our 5:2 pattern is likely to be dangerous – in the past we probably would have thrown caution to the wind, but not any more.

Hermaj – lovely to hear from you – and yes Berlin was brass monkey weather. Too cold for me really, but enjoyed by one and all. Glad to hear things have improved on the family front too.

Mumbojumbo – nice to have you on here. My routine is similar to Linda’s really. I fast Mondays and Wednesdays as a rule and wait until around 7pm to eat. Before that I have one cup of proper tea first thing and then fill up on water and fruit teas (cranberry & raspberry is my fave) all day. Just saves having to allow any calories for milk. I have never counted any calories I just guestimate.

My typical fast day meals are either beans on toast (half a tin of beans, 2 slices buttered granary toast and a bit of grated cheese on top) or scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on toast or soup and toast. I decided early on that I didn’t want to cook on Fast Days just go directly to a meal that was fast to prepare and would fill me up. I guess that comes to around 500 calories.

I do often do a 4:3 week when the scales get stuck – I usually add a Thursday but I find it really tough to do – especially back to back – but I am determined not to fast at weekends. 4:3 definitely makes a difference for me but it’s not easy and I couldn’t do it every week. On non-fast days I am just careful and try to eat healthily with reasonable portion sizes. Both myself and Linda are prone to having heavy weekend though – but you have to have some enjoyment!! How are you getting on?

Hope everyone is doing well.

Cath xx

I am officially worried now. One Christmas Party and two Christmas Dinners with pudding this week alone. I have been given loads of chocolate from work(lovely)but in a pile to be shared on the big day. I bought a pedometer and seem to average around 14,000 steps Mon-Fri. End of term today, so now I shall have to make sure that I keep that up over the festive season.Not sure if I am brave enough to step on the scales….might just wait until January.

I decided to try the scales/tape measure after 6 weeks of doing neither and the results are in. Despite 1 party and x2 Christmas dinners this week and no fasting this week either, my weight is the same. BUT there is an inch less under the bust, half an inch off the waist, half an inch off the calves and 1 inch off my hips!!!!!!!!!!!Whoop whoop!

It is more important for there to be less of me(aim to have a waist half my height)than for the scales to read a particular number, which is just as well as progress in that department is non-existent, due to the deep joy of my age I suspect.

Well done Annette. It must be lovely to see that shrinkage!Bet you feel great.

I am trying to use the waist less than half the height measure too – as well as the good old BMI measure. I haven’t got a ‘waist’ as such – I am an odd apple shape with a large bust, small hips and a thick middle. However I have lost a total of 7 inches from my waist (all that nasty visceral fat methinks) and I am now 1.5 inches from the elusive correct ratio! And a couple of points away from a ‘normal’BMI. That will be my challenge in 2015.

No loss this week but I haven’t been consistent with fasting and I’ve managed no gym visits so I have no-one to blame except myself. But I feel pretty good. 38.5 lb less overall is around 75% of my ultimate target – I just realise it will take me longer to get there than I imagined.

And I do find that I actually forget to eat (no doubt as I am not hungry) – it is almost 4pm now and I realise I had no lunch! It all helps. Going to fast Monday and then I am going to have 3 weeks off (although being mindful of what I consume)as I am going to visit parents for Xmas itself and then on a city/beach holiday for 2 weeks.

Hope everyone is doing really well and happy Xmas to one and all. I’m off to sunnier climes – can’t wait!!

Cath xx

Happy Christmas Cath. Well done on your amazing weight loss, you are an inspiration to many. I am very jealous that you are so close to the elusive waist ratio, but thrilled for you too. Have a wonderful time in sunnier climes(very jealous about that too!).

It doesn’t matter that it takes longer than you imagined to get to your own target, just imagine how much healthier you are now than before you lost the weight/inches. Well done Cath.

Hi Cath, Annette, Linds, Hermaj!

I’m finally up for air after what seemed like a very long slog from October.. I’m sat here with 30 minutes which are mine, all mine, lol.

How great to catch up with al your posts. I’m not sure why I was getting the follow ups straight to email as I once was, so I’ve re-ticked the box and here’s hoping.

Catching up, there’s much talk of size 12 jeans which are baggy and ‘nearing normal BMIs so that is just **fabulous** 😀 Well done everyone!

Also a hugegreatbig WELL DONE to Hermaj and your MA. I would love to read your book one day and reminisce about my great aunt, with her coal in the bath and the trips to the steamie (tramping the blankets was FUN when you’re 7). I’m thrilled to bits for you.

mumbojumbo, if you’ve made a start, I hope things are going well x

My progress has not been so good but will post elsewhere so I don’t hijack ;D

All the best for this next week!

Aud xx

Hi All, well I’m back to just over 11 stone – and that’s before Christmas so I’m offically worried too Annette!! I’ve tried to be good on my meals out and haven’t opened any Christmas goodies yet but it’s not worked. I’ll try and be a bit more sensible this year but I’ve already had my Mum asking me if I’m going to be on my diet over Christmas. God love her, she thinks I’m too thin now and keeps asking me how much more weight I want to lose. I need to get to 10 stone 5lb for my BMI to be normal so I will keep on trying, even if it takes me another year.

I am also aiming to get to the waist less than half the height measurement. It’s 32 at the moment which if I was 5′ 4″ would be ok but I’m just a bit under that. I’ve only lost a couple of inches from my waist, it seems to be my hips and thighs where I have lost more. I’m doing some “waist whittling” excercises when I’m on the vibration plate so hope to see a bit more lost soon.

Annette is right Cath, you are an inspiration.

Happy Christmas everyone, I hope you all have a great time and have a lovely holiday Cath

Linda x

Hi Aud, I had wondered how you were.
    Hi Linds,well done and just keep going.Hopefully, your mum will get the hang of it.Walking is a really good waist whittler.Don’t panic and enjoy the day, it’s just 1 day.

My waist was 38(I didn’t have a waist then)and is now 33.5, which is great, but I am aiming for 30 at 5ft 1.I think it is going to be a while but hopefully might be much nearer that next Christmas.However, x2 summer dresses that i couldn’t do up…today I can! Very thrilled.

I am going to enjoy the day, eat/drink whatever I want and then get back in the groove.

Hi Linds and Annette,

Wow, I am impressed by your shrinking waistlines and wish you all the best over what can be a difficult period with tempting treats and persuasive loved ones (they mean well I guess).

Today is a feed day so it’s a cuppa soup for lunch and steamed fish and carrots for tea and I’m feeling good! (It’s a miracle, someone make a note, lol)

Aud xx

Hi Annette, I’m back down to 10stone 13lb this morning so being good yesterday paid off. There’s chocolates and other goodies on the table near me at work now but, so far, I’ve resisted the temptation. I just keep thinking “every little helps” as they say but I will enjoy the day and I know that whatever I gain I can lose again in the New Year.

To be honest Annette, I haven’t even told Mum I’m doing the 5:2 as she thinks if you don’t eat you will die!

Good news about the dresses – it’s such a good feeling isn’t it? I know we will all get back to it in the New year and carry on losing!

Linda x

Hi Aud and Linds,
    I had a FD yesterday and now not only don’t bother with breakfast, but lunch too. It is fine and as long as I am busy, it seems quite easy. I usually eat mid afternoon and then much later in the evening now.

I have a very overweight friend who is convinced that fasting would result in collapse, but then she has sore knees, walks very slowly and is old before her time at 56.I know that at almost 54, my age certainly makes it harder for the scales to move, but that I am still shrinking.

I have signed up for a 10k on the 1st February with my son(who is 24 and much much faster than me)so I am going to try and get faster, stop less often and generally improve.I just want to be as fit and healthy as I can be, and I know that means that I will be in an even better place next Christmas.

When I started this my hips were 4 inches, waist 4.5 inches, thighs 4 inches,bust 3 inches all larger than they are now.BMI from 30.5 to 27, high blood pressure to normal, psoriasis gone, size 14 to a 12= 14lb lost.

I am curious to see how I will behave around food.But, whatever happens I will be back to FD’s shortly afterwards.

Just wanted to say a big Happy Christmas to all you lovely fasters – and great to hear from you again Aud!

Fasted successfully yesterday until I had a curly wurly (?!) with a cup of tea at about 10pm. Ah well it is Xmas!

So off tomorrow to Durham to visit my parents for Xmas itself and then off on holiday on Saturday.

I think everyone should cut themselves a bit of slack over the festive period and get back to it properly in 2015. That’s my plan anyway.

Thanks to everyone who supported me during this last year. It has been pretty amazing – new hip, new job(s), losing those horrible pounds of fat etc. There’s still a way to go but I am confident we will all get there in the end – hopefully in 2015 🙂

Cath xx

Hi Cath,
    I thought that you had left for sunnier climes. I assumed you were basking on a sun lounger in a bikini somewhere gorgeous.

I had made 12 mince pies….and have eaten probably 10 of them! So maybe too much slack…..but you are right.We will all be able to take stock in 2015 and just keep going either to continue to shrink or maintain.

Have a wonderful time in Durham and then off on holiday.Enjoy. You have earned it.

Happy Christmas!

Happy New Year fast friends!

Now back from a lovely long break and facing the consequences of excess.

Overall up 5.5lb since my lowest weight of 10 stone 12, although I think I gained a couple of pounds in the run up to Xmas itself. Now weighing in at 11 stone 3.5 lbs.

Not too bad in the scheme of things, although I was ‘aided’ to some degree by a stomach bug that I had for the whole last week of my holiday. I kept trying to miss meals to get rid of it (v unpleasant with painful cramps)and I think it is still lingering a bit – so I’ve been taking Imodium over the weekend to try to get back to normal.

Today is my first fast day in weeks and I am starving! But I will complete it as I really want to get back under 11 stone asap. Bit of an odd week though as I am off to Paris tomorrow for work – so I am going to have to be very careful what I eat. Then once I am back I am going to kickstart my gym regime again.

How is everyone else doing?

Cath xx

Hi Cath, Happy New Year to you too – and to everyone else!

I put on just over 4lb and, like you, some of it was in the run up to Christmas. After losing a tiny bit (400gramms) last week because I wasn’t very strict with myself I now have 5lb to lose to get back to my lowest weight of 10stone 10.6 which was in early December.

I tried the size 12 jeans on which still fitted but not comfortably so that is my first goal, to get them back on and wearable!

Hope you have a good trip – it’s a long time since I’ve been to Paris – pity it’s for work though!

Linda x

Ooh 4lb isn’t too bad Linda – but good to have a goal with the size 12 jeans!

I just want to see myself back in the 10 stone something range as a starting point.

Not sure Paris is really great to be in right now – and yes it is a shame it is for work – I think work travel always sounds much more glamorous than it actually is, just lots of travel and insides of meeting rooms. Going via Eurostar though so at least no more airports for a while.

Cath x

Oh flipping heck, how could I forget about the last few days in Paris!!

Hi everyone,

Not posted for a couple of weeks as I’ve been so busy. At work my project has gone live – well two thirds of it at least – but that covers all the US, Latin America and Asia-Pacific & Japan, so I’ve been juggling timezones and working very long days. Things are starting to settle down now and I can take a breath, with just Europe left to go in another few months.

Because of the crazy work schedule I have managed no exercise at all in 2015 (rather shamefully), but I have continued to fast and I am down to 11 stone 1lb so getting off those excess holiday pounds gradually. I’ve also just passed the 1 year anniversary of my hip replacement – I have a check up on 17th February and I am literally, quite transformed!

Next step is to get myself back to the gym and redouble my attempts to get to the normal BMI, which means 10 stone 6 – but my overall aim for 2015 is to get to 10 stone (and stay there) whilst getting a lot fitter. I know from experience (17 months on 5:2 now) that progress is not entirely predictable or linear, but I have promised myself to really start to make some headway in February and try to get below my previous “low” of 10 stone 12.5lb back in mid-November.

I hope everyone else is doing well.

Cath xx

Hi Cath, it certainly is a crazy schedule and keeping you busy. One year after your hip replacement – how the time has flown.

I meant to post before but couldn’t find the thread! I’ve managed to get back to just under 11 stone but not lost what I put on over Christmas yet.

I watched the Horizon programmes at the weekend about what’s the right diet for you and the group on the 5:2 were told to eat fish, meat, eggs and veg on their fast days which means no carbs so I am going to try that and see if I can shift a bit. Not that I eat any potatoes on fast days but I have bread if I have soup or beans/eggs on toast.

My goal is still the same (and the same as yours) which is to get to at least 10 stone 5 to get to a normal BMI and then 10 stone if I can. It means another stone or so to lose so it may take 12 months!

Good luck with your new start Cath, I’m sure we can both do it. Linda x

Wow!!! I’m a newbie here, in my first month, and have just read these posts from the beginning. Awesome people! Great reading, and so inspiring! Frankly good to read it hasnt been all plain sailing – for no-one, but to see you all still there and still on a journey, and such optimism. Thank you.

Waist 50% of height? Now there’s a target for me, too!

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 473 total)

You must be logged in to reply.