Mid-thirties, working mom of 2, looking to loose 5kg

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid-thirties, working mom of 2, looking to loose 5kg

This topic contains 360 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  frauB 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 385 total)

• Wow guys I’m so impressed by how much exercise you do! That probably sounds terrible to say, but I am a confessed sedentary, mostly because of my desk job and partly because I have never ever had a good relationship with the gym or exercise in general.

Pissupoosa the Insanity workout is an extreme programme based on High Intensity Interval Training, in reverse. Rather than short bursts of intense activity followed by longer periods of less intense activity, it’s the other way around. You are supposed to to a workout 6 days per week for 60 days to achieve the advertised result…but I’m nowhere near that level of fitness. So I am doing a couple of Insanity workouts per week for now to break myself back into exercise.

By the way, I am totally with you both on the rice and potato front! Let’s not also forget pasta… enough talk of food!

Hi everyone,

Good luck Beck with your clingy three year old and hungry fast day. I’m sure you’ll come through it. I am fasting today as well, and plan to on Wednesday (and a fast/ low cal day planned for Friday as well). The routine was shaken up today which I think is good. I had a doc app and then went swimming with a friend before lunch. For lunch I had a small mixed salad with no dressing, so I still have about 400 cals for dinner later. Probably an omelette and salad when the kids eat.

I enjoyed Friday, Saturday and Sunday as NFDs and I really noticed that I felt full after full meals and the only risk for going over TDEE was alcohol. On Friday I ate a latish lunch of roast pork, potato salad and cabbage salad and I was so full afterwards I didn’t eat any dinner.

Well done everyone for doing so well and sticking with it and having such a positive attitude!

I’m drinking a cup of tea and contemplating work… (I hate working from home when the work is writing, I really struggle to stay disciplined- luckily this is just for another few weeks and then I start a new job proper instead of having to make myself be productive at home).

Re: exercise I did a slow 5k jog yesterday and today did a bit of swimming. If possible, tomorrow I’ll run before I have breakfast.

Looking forward to updates. Cheeers 🙂

Beck100, hope your little one settled and you managed to get through your fast day OK.

Natasha, I used be a bit of a gym/exercise-phobic too. In February, I bought my self a block of personal training sessions at my local gym (at a discount as a part of a new membership) – they really got me started. I realised that regular exercise had a significant effect on my mood (I’ve been going through some tough times lately). So I slowly started doing more and more – gym classes, working out at home, running with a friend, cycling etc. I can’t afford PT sessions continuously, so once the discount block ended I carried on with classes etc. But I must say, I’m still a bit ‘chicken’ when it comes to gym equipment and weights :-p

So, at the end of today:
    I managed to survive mostly on calory-free liquid (water, roobosh tea), a bottle of M&S sugar-free ginger beer (5 cals) and many many trips to the loo! 🙂
    Dinner was a prawn+veg omelette with a mixed leaf+avocado salad. Managed to stay under 500cals overall with a good 12h fast. So overall a successful FD.

Hi everyone,
    Who’s fasting? Who’s on a NFD? I’m on a non-fast day but trying to be healthy and experiement with simple carb alternatives. And that made me remember what I wanted to say to
    @Pissupoosa- your coq-au-vin sounds delish. Have you ever experimented with carb alternatives (i.e. alternative to rice?)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/whats-best-way-cook-cauliflower-rice

I’ve just discovered cauliflower can be food processed or grated and then steamed in the microwave or roasted to make a filling healthy alternative to rice! 100g = 25 cals instead of 130 for white rice. I’m going to try it today!

I’m also going to have my courgette instead of pasta dish for lunch.

Have a great day everyone!
    Cheers 🙂

Hi all! I am fasting today after giving in to hunger pangs yesterday, but still having a good day yesterday (only 156 cals over TDEE, which I’m really pleased about as it’s the best NFD I have had so far) and I am trying really hard to keep strong today and power through. Not made any easier by walking to work and smelling hot toast and bacon!! Oddly I feel like today I am getting waves of slight nausea…anyone else had this during a fast?

FrauB that cauliflower rice sounds delicious! I’m going to try that tonight, it could be a real game changer!

NFD for me.
    Had to forgo gym class this morning as I woke up with a headache!
    Breakfast was yoghurt-soaked (overnight in the fridge) jumbo oats topped with papaya and blueberries (328cals).
    Then I ruined it somewhat by having a chocolate truffle thing with my mid-morning tea (so that’s 80 cals down!)
    Will try and keep to healthy alternatives for the rest of the day.
    Might do a short a run after I get home from work.

FrauB, I must confess, I don’t buy cauliflower because I don’t how to cook it. This stuff is amazing! It looks like something I could make and freeze in bags ready for a fast day prep – a real life-saver! Thank you for the idea 🙂
    In terms of carb alternatives, I’ve tried the spirilized courgettes and butternut squash pasta – but I need to learn how cook them properly so that they don’t disintegrate.

Natasha, about your feeling of nausea – I do get that sometimes, towards the end of a fast day. I’ve put it down to my body getting used to feeling hungry and/or slight dehydration. For me, drinking something fizzy helps. I know people say that diet drinks (specially cola-type drinks) are a ‘no-no’, but having a ice-cold can of diet coke helps me get over that feeling. If I have access to an M&S Food shop, I get their sugar-free fiery ginger beer (5 cals), which is even better.

Hi everyone,

Yes, I will try cauliflower rice tonight too. I think I will roast it, or maybe just microwave it. I scrolled down the BBC good food page and got some tips, like only adding salt after cooking, not before. I also plan to blitz up a whole cauliflower (in two or three stages like they suggest) and freeze some it for fast days etc. I’m going to give it to my kids tonight with homemade chilli con carne, let’s see what they make of it. If they’re hungry, they’ll eat nearly anything so will have to hide all snack type things when they get back.

Today I had full fat natural yog with strawberries and watermelon and a bit of homemade granola and maple syrup. Tasty and indulgent, but only about 260 cals. Lunch was courgettes with bacon and blue cheese, again, seemed very naughty for only 400 odd calories… I even had a whole line from a giant milka bar which cost me about 180 cals but was worth it 🙂 Tonight will be a lot of cauliflower with some chilli and some veggie sticks. Barring any red wine I should stay within my TDEE.

Pissupoosa, I agree. I know sugar free soft drinks are eeeeevvilllll but sometimes I have one. I even bought a bottle of caffiene-free diet coke at the start of my 5:2 adventure but I found I was just drinking it for the sake of it. I tried tesco’s sugar free ginger beer a few years ago and I wasn’t keen. I decided to make full-sugar ginger beer a very rare but very yummy treat!

Well done everyone!
    Cheers 🙂

Hi everybody!

NFD for me today, I was at a convention and stayed sensible… But I’m feeling really hungry today, so with TV-chocolate I will probably end up a little bit over my TDEE. Had a first for my fast day yesterday, stayed strong during the day (in spite of clingy 3 year old) but when hubby came home and opened a beer (it was the first nice day for ages) I drank one too. Then the neighbours came over spontaneously for another beer. To fight the worst hunger I had a piece of bread (😳) and after that stayed strong. Probably had around 550cal, not too bad. But really unhealthy fast day (ok, had egg and vegetable for lunch, but still, I never had alcohol for a FD)… Nonetheless am proud to have stayed strong in spite of the beer!

I have been planning on having cauliflower rice forever…! Hey Hillsy, if you’re still reading up a bit, I hope you are fine!

Tomorrow will be my second – this time normal and healthy – FD of the week and I will go for a run on my lunchbreak if the weather is not too bad.

Getting a lot of comments all of the sudden about my weightloss… I love them! 😄 So stay strong everybody, it’s really worth it!

Cheers 😊

Good morning ladies!

So, FD today, so far had a black coffee. The weather looks terrible right now, not sure if I’ll go running at noon. I’m already cold, brrrr…! That’s still the worst “symptom” for me on the fast days, I’m always freezing! Above all when fasting at work, because of my deskjob, at home it’s a lot better.

I’m wearing one of my new pairs of jeans today, I bought 3 of them at H&M, fitting comfortably in a 38 now. Very cheap shopping :-).

Who’s fasting today? frauB?

Morning ladies!

NFD for me today – I had a really good fast day yesterday as well as a good NFD on Monday, keeping under my TDEE. I am quite pleased with myself so far 🙂 lets hope I keep it up! I have already counted my calories for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as allowing myself a morning and afternoon snack, including a small piece of cake. My TDEE is 1644 so trying to fit everything that I would like into that is proving a challenge, but I have to be honest I am starting to willingly forego a treat if it means I can eat more during my proper meals. I hate leaving a meal and still feeling hungry, so treats are falling by the wayside as a natural consequence.

By the way, I made the cauliflower rice last night to have for my lunch today – its lovely! I dont think I could have it as a total replacement for rice, but as a grainy accompaniment to something I could happily have it on most occasions.

Have a happy FD you guys 🙂

Hi Beck, hi everyone, sorry not checked in sooner. Yes, indeed, I am fasting today. So far I’ve just had tea and water. I’ve got past the lunchtime barrier, I really felt like having some lunch and although I know I can have a light FD lunch and still keep the fast going, if I get to 3 or 4pm before I eat then the rest of the day is so much easier.

Natasha, I also tried Cauliflower rice and I really like it. I think for me it’s what I will use at home instead of rice or couscous, but I will still eat rice when out. I also think it will help me out big style on fast days. Today I will have it again with some homemade chili con carne and I’ll be able to have a big portion with some grated cheddar on top and veggie sticks and still only for 290 calories! I might even use my other calories for a glass of red wine to celebrate finishing a huge work project yesterday!! Anyway, back to rice, we don’t actually cook with much rice at home, more pasta… I am about to move to Asia though…

Natasha enjoy your NFD- it sounds like you’ve got some yummy food planned.

Beck, great that you new jeans are comfy- stay warm! It’s great that you had a fast day with a couple of beers and that you’re still fasting despite being below your target! That’s the kind of attitude I hope I adopt in maintenance mode. That’s still a long way off though. My weigh-in was stubbornly unchanged yesterday morning so hoping for great things from the scales tomorrow morning!!

Have a great day everyone!
    Cheers 🙂

Natasha, you are doing great! Keep it up, it seems you’re getting the handle of it!

FrauB, I’m still aiming for 59, because I only ever weigh myself when I’m at my lightest (in general after the second FD, you remember my jump off the scale tactic?) and I want my weight to settle around or even better under 60kg, before I start trying what works for me in maintenance mode. In my opinion I haven’t reached my final target yet. Are you looking forward to moving to asia? you wrote that you will have a propper job soon again, will this be over there? Sounds really adventurous!!! 🙂

Today is hubbie’s day at home, he thought about poor me having a FD and decided to cook for dinner instead of lunch. So a nice dinner with fish, broccoli and potatoes (all steamed) is waiting for me. So far I had an apple and some cashews, total of around 150cal. For 300cal I can eat tons of this dinner 🙂

Well, in the end the fish was coated with a little bit of flour and fried in oliveoil… Still, healthy dinner and 511cal if calculated correctly. Perfectly fine 😊

Happy to have some NFDs ahead, but if I want to do 2 FD next week I’ll have to do sunday and thursday, it’s my only option 😜

I hope you are all doing fine and don’t mind me still tagging along… In my opinion I still have some work to do. Cheers

Of course we don’t mind you tagging along Beck- this is your thread!! Your dinner sounds lovely. Although my FD today was relatively easy I feel like I ate a lot, although I calculated it to be about 480. I guess eating in one go makes it seem like a lot. Tomorrow I will jog before breakfast and have a TDEE or under day. Friday I’m planning a third fast day at the moment.

Yes, my new job is in Asia, Brunei in SE Asia on Borneo!! I start in early July. Will be a huge huge change from Munich and we will miss this place so much but I’m ready for a new adventure!

Well, have a great evening everyone and pats on the back to us all- fasters and restrained NFDers. Tomorrow is another day and we are all doing something to feel good about ourselves! Today was my 11th fast day this time around. The longest spell of 5:2ing I’ve ever done. I really feel like I can keep this Way of Eating (WOE) going long term. I mean keeping within TDEE and having one weekly. Fast when I’ve reached my targets. I think I’ve realised, treats and indulgence are fine within reason, but they have to be offset. Fasting is a way to offset them so a summer’s day out can still include an ice-cream and a dinner out can still include red wine and pudding. And one or two days in the week can still include fasting and very healthy low calorie meals.
    Cheers 🙂

frauB, that sounds very interesting! Have you and your husband both found a job there? Will you be there for a certain period or for now or for good? Sorry if I’m too nosey but I always dreamed about living abroad for a certain time. Alas because of the job I chose I’m bound to switzerland.

How is it going for you three (NatashaD, Pissupoosa and frauB) are you losing the weight or at least losing the pants? 😉

As for me I got angry this morning, when I stepped on the scale. I actually gained a pound! How could this be, I didn’t do the strictest of FDs this week, but how can I ever maintain my weight if I start this fast to gain weight??!!! It was maybe too early in the morning for me, because then I realised, that in fact I had not gained a pound, I had lost more than a pound and was actually at 58.9 and not 59.9… OMG! :-))))

It’s actually kind of hard for me to let go now, I’m really scared to gain all the hard lost weight back. I’m really happy with my weight now and I feel and look better. But I actually don’t want to lose more (who would have thought that I would ever say these words!) so I’m starting now trying to find the right balance for me. If you girls don’t mind I would still love to do that on this thread, but I could also understand if you would prefer not to hear about my “problems” while still being in the weightloss phase. What do you think?

Hey Ladies 🙂

Beck – please dont leave us! Although I have never been in the “dont want to lose moer weight” stage, I can totaly understand the anxiety you must feel at the thought of letting go. So please stay with us and continue to share your experiences with us. Problems shared are problems halved, no?

Speaking of problems – I have had a really good start to the week, with good fast days and good NFD’s, even though I have gone over my TDEE on both days I am telling myself that it is a process of adjustment so its ok (is it ok guys? Am I kidding myself?) Im just getting really frustated with myself that I have such a lack of willpower to just totally go cold turkey. Yesterday I had all of my meals sorted out, with snacks as I had mentioned, and then I blew it with some treats at work that my “treat buddy” had brought in…. and once I knew I had blown it, I had zero willpower to minimise the damage. I dont think I went totally crazy, but by the end of the day Im sure I was 400-500 cals over my TDEE, which is a lot. I hate the power struggle that goes on in my brain between the part of me that wants to change and the part of me that wants to hold on to the comfort of food. Im sorry for the rant of self pity – Im done now 🙂

FrauB you are totally right about off-setting the treats. They can be had if you make allowances for them. Also, best of luck for your move to Asia! What an adventure – keep us updated with your move and let us know how you settle in.

Natasha, thank you so much for your kind words!

And yes, absolutely, it is a process! You can’t change everything at once, you are now doing 2 FDs per week, that’s huge! Give yourself some more time with the NFDs, log your food and watch your pattern. I never logged food before, so for example I found out, that my opinion, that I normally don’t eat breakfast isn’t really true. I don’t always eat, that’s true, but I used to have 3-4 coffees with milk, meaning 2dl milk with an espresso, which amounted to about 360 to 480 calories every morning! I love milkcoffee, so I don’t want to change the habit in general. But now I have 2-3 milkcoffees with 1dl of milk an a normal coffee inside, which amounts to around 120 to 180 calories. It doesn’t really hurt me, because I still get the milkcoffee but use up far less calories. Or another example, when I know we are invited for dinner I try to eat only a light lunch or no lunch, as to allow me not to have a bad conscience or calculate my dinner oder whatever. But I had more than 3 months now to make those changes, that’s not something you can do overnight. You are doing just fine!

I agree with Natasha, you should stay on here. We are all on a journey and it’s OK if we’re at different stages. Natasha, don’t beat yourself up, it so hard to say no when you’ve got people around expecting a certain reaction from you. Just keep going and each NFD try and be disciplined and don’t feel bad if it doesn’t work out that day. The main thing is your putting the effort in and trying to change, that’s the only way change can occur.

I have a job in Brunei and my husband is probably going to work freelance (management consultant) in the region. It’s a very exciting move for us. I have always dreamed of living somewhere outside Europe and the west and I never thought it would be possible with young children. But now we have this opportunity and we’re going to take it! I’ll definitely keep you updated and describe how the move affects my 5:2ing and food choices. I know Bruniens love food and eating so I will be with kindred spirits- hopefully plenty of healthy food readily available. I actually googled whether you could get cauliflowers in Brunei last night as I really love my newly discovered Cauliflower rice. I have a feeling it doesn’t grow so well in that climate though but hopefully there are other alternatives.

NFD for me today. So far had strawberries and Raspberries with full fat yogurt for breakfast. Lunch will be soup or a sandwich and going to a friends for dinner. She’s making pasta! Will enjoy it.
    Cheers 🙂

Oh and before I forget to answer your question more fully. It’s a three year contract in Brunei. I’m a university lecturer. There’s an option for another three years and so on. I guess we’ll see how the boys feel after 3 years and their school situ. At the moment we don’t know how long we’ll stay, but definitely minimum 3 years. Cheers 🙂

Hi all,
    It’s been a busy week and I only just caught up with the thread.

So here’s a summary of my week:
    FD-1 Monday – went fine. I feel my body is already getting used to fasting. Hunger pangs came and went. It was easier to deal with than last week.
    The 2 NFDs (Tue and Wed) were a bit of a mix – Tuesday was better in terms of healthy eating and exercise. I skipped dinner and went for a 30 minute run (well, a run-walk-run). Wednesday, I max’d out on snacks and went for chocolate, popcorn, banana-bread! Then felt really bad and ended up finishing off the last slice of papaya for dinner. I was over my calory goal (1340) by 124 for that day 🙁

My second FD of week 2 was yesterday – it went fine. I did a kettle bell class in the morning, then work.

Breakfast (233cals) – ham, boiled egg, toms+spring onion+avocado salad (233cals). Kept me full until well past lunch time.
    Had a few almonds and a ‘naughty’ diet coke around 3pm to get me by until dinner.
    Dinner (288cals) – baked sea-bream with cauliflower rice
    I baked the fish in a mix of soy sauce, fish sauce, rice wine vinigar, chillie flakes and lots of ginger and garlic. Cauliflower rice was fried off with a bit of pancetta and onions. Once cooled, added a bunch of corriander leaves.

I’m loving the cauliflower rice! Bought 2 large heads on Wednesday, processed, bagged and froze overnight. Managed to make 4×300 g batches. From the batch I made yesterday, after my husband and I’ve had our portions for dinner, there’s 1 portion left. This is great FD food. I doubt it’ll completely replace rice for me – I’ll keep rice as a NFD/weekend treat.

I realised I haven’t said much about my weight change over time. I started offcially recording my weight around mid april about 6 weeks before starting 5:2. I lost 2.8KG in this time mainly due to exercise. Then since starting the diet, I’ve only lost 0.5KG:

1st June 73.4 (pre-5:2)
    7th 73.1 (after week 1)
    10th 72.9 (after week 2)

I know it’s a slow journey, but thats ok. I was delighted to see the numbers on the scale go down by another whole digit (below 73KG) this morning!
    I’ve set myself a goal – to get my weight below 70 (69.9 will do!) by the end of this month. I have 20 days to lose 3KG. So, that gives me a minimum of 6 FDs to it in 🙂
    Although actual numbers on the scale have been slow in coming down, I’ve FELT a bigger difference – clothes fit better (most are loose on me now, my bras need be fastened with the second hook, lol), my general mood has improved.
    I think someone mentioned logging their food? (sorry, lost track of who said what…) I use My Fitness Pal – really useful. It syncs with my fitbit app too. I mostly log food during the week. I log even the bad stuff I eat very honestly – this gives me a good idea about what the pointless calories are, and the motivation to cut down, even on NFDs. Recently I’ve been recording my mood associated the food I eat – gives me a good reflection of my stress eating habits.

Frau – all the best with your new job in Asia. Sounds like it’s going to be a great experience. I love Munich also 🙂 it’s a great city.
    Beck, where about in Switzerland do you live? We did a hiking trip in the Alps last summer – around Kandersteg and Kiental? Absolutely loved it! Also, yes please stay – you’re a great inspiration to us all 🙂

Hope you all have a good weekend. See you on the other side if I don’t get a chance to write/come online over the weekend.

Sorry that was a long one! 😮

I did it! I had cauliflower Rice for lunch and it was delicious! I had it with chicken in onion Tomato Sauce and some Parmesan cheese (sorry, fighting with german autospell on IPad), just perfect. In the evening had too much beer, wine and chocolate but will make up for it with half fast day on sunday. Take care, girls!

Oh and pissupoosa, I’m from lucerne. And I use myfitnesspal too and try to be very honest.

Hi everybody! I’m doing a light day today (1000-1200cal) as opposed to the FD I would be doing if still in the weightloss phase. My one fast day (sounds really strange!) will be thursday. Will see what my body does with that and then decide how to proceed.

Hope you are all fine! Cheers 😊

Hi everyone! How was your ‘light’ day Beck? I have had a very free few days since my last fast day on Wednesday so tomorrow I’m swinging back into action. I plan to have two fast days again this week but be very restrained on the other days to try and make up for my decadence over the past few days. My aim is to ‘see’ 57 by the end of the week. I got a reading of 58.1 on Thursday am last week so that is encouraging but I really have let things slip since then so I’m worried I’ve undone the good work. (just to remind people in case they haven’t read one of my earlier posts- I am very small in height but quite ‘strongly’ built so 57 kilos is still an overweight BMI for me. I don’t want anyone to think I’m skinny-trying-to-be-skinnier- nothing could be further from the truth!) Anyway, the last few days I overdid the alcohol and I had a bit of a chocolate binge this afternoon- my first in the last six weeks. But that has really left me with no desire to drink or eat chocolate this week so I’m hoping I will find it easy to be good. To prove to myself that I can have days where I don’t count a single calorie but I can still lose weight over all over the course of a week or two. That will feel good! And I’m really sure that writing in this thread and sharing stories with you guys is really making me stick to this whole thing much more than if I wasn’t active on the forum so THANK YOU! Let’s help each other keep up the good work. Cheers everyone 🙂

Good morning! Yes, writing in this forum really helps. First of all there is a kind of selfreflection that you only get from writing about yourself. And secondly there’s the incredible support of all you determined nd great women, which is so very helpful!

Well, I ended my light day yesterday with 1270cal, slightly over my goal. Will be trying to stay around my TDEE for the next 3 days before my FD on thursday.

FrauB, that sounds like your losing really nicely, congratulations! I think the making up for bad days part is also something I will take from 5:2, it’s only logical, but I never did it like this… Or make up for a bad evening in advance by skipping breakfast. It’s so easy yet never ocurred to me that way.

Take care everybody, wish you a nice day
    😊

Hi all,

It’s my week 3, FD 1

It’s a tough one today! Went to the gym (Kettle-bell class) this morning and had a 252cal breakfast (2xboiled eggs, ademame bean salad and coffee with skimmed milk). BUT since breakfast I’v been yawning my head off, feeling drowsy and slow!
    I think this might because of my lack of discipline over the 4 NFDs including the weekend: I overdid it with food 🙁
    On a postive note, I did manage a 5km park run on Saturday and 45mins power-yoga on Sunday morning.

I think my undisciplined NFDs are making it tough getting used to the FD today. Saying that, I’m already starting to feel less lethargic as I’m writing this – well, they say sharing lessens the burden 🙂

Haven’t planned my dinner tonight yet – I have home-made soup and cauliflower rice in the freezer, so it might be one of those depending on how bothered I can be to cook.

How are your FD/NFDs going?

Hi!

Pissupoosa, well, that’s just one of those days. Try to stay active and think about tomorrow. Today will go by! The important thing is to keep it up. You’re already in week 3, see how fast time goes by :-).

Well, my plan to not eat today until after my run during lunchtime didn’t work out. I was hungry from the beginning today. A coworker is doing his good bye event (for lack of a better word, basically just some food and wine, in switzerland we call this Apéro) tonight, so I wanted to save as many calories as possible. Tipically you feel that you haven’t eaten that much but caloriewise it’s a dister. But hey, normal eating day today, so not worrying too much. Will try to make sensible choices.

It feels strange to have so many days in between two fast days. Very strange. But I notice, that in the last 3 months I changed my food pattern quite a bit. I know better where the calorie-“bombs” hide. I know better, how many calories a meal will cost me. I adapt my choices slightly in order to eat better, f.ex. eating the meat with veggies or a salad instead of pasta (I did that before, but less). Yesterday I baked potatoes and sweet potatoes in the oven (instead of frying them in the pan) and tried mayonnaise and ketchup with it, two combinations I used to like… well I actually preferred the potatoes without. As they keep writing here in the forum, it’s not just 2 days of fasting, there are other changes which you hardly notice at first. I wish I had found 5:2 sooner :-).

Hope you are all doing fine.

Hi guys,

Hope the rest of your fast day goes well Pissupoosa. It sounded like you were starting to feel better about it already. I had an ok fast day yesterday, I probably went to about 550 which is quite a lot given i’m supposed to have about 411. I couldn’t count exactly because I had salad for lunch at a friends. Today was going well, I jogged before I broke my fast, had banana pancakes for breakfast and now I’ve had some cheese and crackers (and some chocolate) over lunchtime. Tonight I want to cook asparagus (for the last time, if I can still get any). Tomorrow will be another fast day and then I’ll really try to have good days on Thursday and Friday.

My best weigh in reading today indicates that I’m only 200g up after such an indulgent weekend and NFDs so that was encouraging. I think there’s a chance I’ll see 57 on the scales on Thursday. So I need to focus on that.

I think, now that fast days feel ok, and certainly two a week is manageable, I need to work on being strict on NFDs and avoid chocolate etc or at least limit it.

Anyway, good luck everyone!
    Cheers 🙂

FrauB, that does sound promising, I’m sure you’ll see the 57 something on thursday morning. Trying to be sensible on NFDs is good, but don’t get too strict. You need certain freedoms. At least I did.

Pissupoosa, how was the rest of your FD? OK?

Natasha, how are you doing, hope everything is alright!

I managed to stay just under my TDEE (had to make some assumptions, but tried to be very honest), so my day went well foodwise. I’m starting to get curious (and a little bit worried) about my weighing after my FD on thursday…

Hi Ladies

Thanks for checking in on me Beck….my silence on the forum for the past week is evidence of my guilt, it has not been a good week. I fasted last Tuesday 7th June, and then I just caved in every day since then. I was trying to stay within my TDEE and make good choices but I failed miserably. But without trying to dwell on that now, I am back in the game today, my first FD of the week and I hope to fast again tomorrow. *sigh* I have been seduced by really gorgeous treats in my office this week as there have been a few birthdays, and due to my current time of the month…I feel as though my cravings have been sky high. But onwards and upwards, today is a new day. I stepped on the scales this morning and the reading has shocked me into getting myself into action, so as well as fasting I am making an effort to walk as much as I can today. It also helps that there are two women in my office who are also openly dieting, one is doing slimming world and one is doing the cambridge diet. So I have inspiration here in person, as well as you lovely ladies here 🙂

I hope you are all doing well, it seems as though you are from your posts. Happy fasting you guys x

Hi Natasha,

It’s not always easy getting into the swing of fasting, especially with temptations everywhere. I’m glad you’re feeling back on track today and I hope you’re fast day is going well.

I am fasting today and a friend turned up for coffee with two enormous pieces of cake at about 11am! I had a small piece from each one and I am just guessing calories. I think if I say 300 calories it’s maybe a slight overestimate but that’s ok. So today, the only other thing I’ll eat is some cauliflower rice stir fried with mushrooms, courgettes and egg (and loads of soy sauce, ginger and chili. Still trying to work out the best way to do this stir-fry without using more than a smidgin, if any, of oil- to keep the calories low enough. I don’t have any spray oil but I might just rub a little bit onto the pan with kitchen roll. Any tips anyone? using just water would make it a really soggy dish I think. Or I accept that I need oil and will be over 500 today but that it’s still a successful fast day in the grand scheme of things. Or i cook something else? hmmm
    Hope everyone is well!
    Cheers 🙂

oh dear! I had to abandon my fast day! That’s the first time that has happened to me this time around. You know how I wrote earlier that I had some cake? Well I should have seen what was coming. I can get ‘hypoglycemic’ if i have a load of sugar or simple carbs and nothing else all day. It’s happened to me twice before, not when I was fasting. One time I was jetlagged so hadn’t paid attention to meals and went to collect my kids from daycare (we were in Canada) at about 3pm, suddenly I felt dizzy at the wheel, I was driving alone, so I had to pull over. I connected it right away to the fact that I’d only eaten two buttered crumpets all day. The second time was quite recently when I had leftover birthday cake for breakfast (seemed like a good idea at the time) and then at work the staff lunch was pasta in a tomato sauce (with no meat or cheese or anything) and I just had it without thinking because I had no time. A few hours later I nearly collapsed. Basically my blood sugar must just suddenly plummet. I read into it a lot at the time and self-diagnosed occasional hypo-glycemia. I think most people would feel like that if they only ate sugar/ simple carbs and then no physical activity, (the lack of physical activity exacerbates it too) but it definitely something I have to avoid. I was worried about pre-diabetes but actually I don’t think I am at all. I’d love to hear if anyone else has experience of this.

Anyway, not long after I posted above, (after having nothing but tea and two small pieces of creamy spongey cake at about 11:30 am) I started to feel queasy and a bit dizzy and I thought, darn, here we go. I had to drive to pick up my son so I made a decision to eat some cheese and crackers so it wasn’t dangerous to drive. I thought maybe I could just count that as my 500 cals and still fast but when I got back I felt like I should eat something, so it’s been an under TDEE day, but only probably by about 200 calories. I’m trying to see the positives and that if I get another fast day in this week that this was one ‘good’ day in the bag etc etc but this on top of a few other annoying work things has led to me feeling a bit annoyed with myself and stressed! Kids will be in bed in an hour and then I have loads of work to do and hubby is away but hopefully I’ll start to unwind.
    Sorry for the ranting and raving!!!
    Hope everyone’s ok 🙂

Without trying to be too intrusive, have you had bariatric surgery? Hypoglycaemic episodes are not uncommon in people that have had this surgery. If a large food “parcel” presents itself in the small bowels you can get an over response with an insulin spike.

Hi Bigbooty, no, I haven’t had any surgery, interesting to consider that it can be common in people after that type of surgery though. When I read up on it, it seemed like I just don’t do well on sugar only and then no physical activity to burn it off. I don’t get it when I fast or if I eat a mix of food groups. I’ve only had it (or noticed it) three times. It’s a blood sugar crash I guess and a good incentive to stay as far away as possible from refined sugar and pure simple carbs. 🙂

Hi everybody

Sounds like the right day not to fast, frauB, it certainly was the right decision! Don’t beat yourself up, I’m sure you will be able to squeeze in another fast day, and if not, there’s always next week!

Natasha, how did your FD go yesterday? I’m sure you will be getting into “fasting mode” again, don’t worry!

I’m on a FD today and hope I can go for a run during my lunchbreak (the weather this year just makes me miserable!). I’m feeling hungry today, I think I ate too much of the wrong food yesterday evening (went over my TDEE for sure, I think up to about 2100). Apart from yesterday I did decent NFDs this week. Will see what the scale says tomorrow.

Morning All,

FrauB that sounds awful – but Im glad you caught it in time and knew what to do. It must have been really frightening the first time it happened, especially as you were driving. But Beck is right you always have next week, and nothing stops you having good days the rest of the week. (As if I can preach!!!)

I did have a good fast day yesterday thanks guys. I only had tea and juice (with sweeteners) until lunchtime, when I had 2 boiled eggs and some baby spinach leaves for 104 calories. Then I had a ready meal for dinner (Chicken and Vegetable Chow Mein)for 289 calories, as I didnt have an opportunity to cook. I dont have the time to cook most days, I do most of my cooking on the weekend. I was under my 411 cals by a couple by then, but I had a banana before bed which tipped me over just a tad, but still under 500.

I am fasting again today, because I am eating out (lunch and dinner) tomorrow, and I have family meal plans on Saturday, and then Sunday is my day with my Husband at home so I dont want to fast then. Today is my only option and I will be really pleased with myself if I can do it.

Hope you are all having a good day, whether its a FD or NFD x

Go for it Natasha! Two fast days in a row will make you feel like you’re really getting somewhere- that’s fantastic! I am fasting today after yesterday’s de-railment as it is the only viable day to fast again before next week. So far just fruit and herbal tea. I’ve got a broccoli broth planned and maybe a salad later. Going to go back to my usual routine of pushing through til 5pm or so as the Monday’s fast was a bit strange and I probably went over a bit because of lunch at a friends and then yesterday’s cake disaster. Going to plough on with some work and stay out of the kitchen. How are you fast days going then, Natasha and Beck? Pissupoosa, maybe you’re fasting too?
    Cheers everyone 🙂

Thanks FrauB! Yesterday I powered through really well, but today I am definitely having to dig deep. I really wanted breakfast this morning, and I still do. I have already had two cups of tea and I don’t want another, so my only option is water/juice. Its going to be more challenging than yesterday, but I have to do it. I only have to hold out until 1pm which is when I will have my boiled eggs again, which tied me over nicely yesterday. I just reeally hope I see something on the scales this week. Admittedly it wont be much, as I did not stay within TDEE Monday or Tuesday and I will do my best this weekend but my calorie deficit wont be the best it could have been. But I will have done 2 days which I will be pleased about.

oh well, so I’m fasting with a lot more company than I thougt :-). So far my day is going well, the hunger I felt during the first half of the morning has passed. I had a few cashews and raspberries because of the hunger. at lunch I went for a run and now just finished some jogurth with the rest of the raspberries. tonight will have BBQ: lamb together with zucchini and feta.

Natasha, you’re doing great! I never did back to back fasts, I’m sure it’s hard. Long before 5:2 I used to fast for 5 days (only juice or smoothie) more or less once a year. It was always the third day when it got easier und I sort of started to get a “faster’s high”. The second day was the worst. So, be proud of yourself. If you can do this you can do all the rest as well!

frauB, I think it’s good to follow the pattern that has worked for you up to now. never change a running system. I suppose after today we will all be done with fasts for this week?

I am still in awe of you guys who fit in exercise during the day when you work. I limit myself to 20 minutes for lunch, so that I can leave work on time to get home in time to give my little boy his dinner at 5.30.

Beck your food for the day sounds appetising 🙂 I did not end up having my eggs for lunch, I had a banana instead. I hope that sustains me until 6 o’clock. That water/juice fast you did sounds intense, I think I would be a nightmare to be around if I had to do it! You are clearly a very strong willed woman.

Well, I gained half a kilo… But I already thought it eould be a gain, I’m not even very stressed out by it. I’ll continue with the 1 1/2 FD next week and see, what happens then. In general I’m trying to get my head around going lower cal and higher fat, right now I’m not ready and think I should adapt first to maintenance.

Natasha, after two days, which you completed as well, it gets easier. I’m very sure you could do it too.

Sorry, that meant to say lower CARB and higher fat… Of course 😜

On my fast day of this week and will do a light day on friday. I really hope, that my weight starts to stabilize… But am a little afraid, because the last 3 days I was bad… Ate way too much.

At least I exercised well lately. Yesterday hubby and I did a 1000 calories workout… Outch!

Who’s fasting? Wish you all a nice day, FD or NFD
    Beck

Hi all,

It’s great to hear everyone’s trials and tribulations with fasting. Really keeps me motivated. Thanks ladies 🙂
    FrauB, your hypo episodes sound scary. Have you spoken to a doctor about it?
    Beck, well done on the 1000 cal workout – what did you guys do?!
    Good on you Natasha for keeping at it. 2 consecutive FDs is very impressive.

Sorry about my long silence. It was a tough old week last week! I only managed 1 FD (Tuesday).
    Rest of the week I was so restless in my mind and felt really down, I didn’t attempt to calory restrict. I managed to keep to my TDEE (1800) most other days. In terms of exercise, all I managed was the gym class on Tuesday and a 40km cycle ride yesterday.
    Has anyone experienced headaches, either on a FD or the day after? I seem to be getting mild (but annoying!) headaches the day after a FD. This started around the 2nd-3rd week of fasting. I also suffered from bad constipation (sorry!) all of last week. I’m not sure if the 2 are connected or it’s simply down to dehydration.

As for weight – I weighed my self on Saturday (18th) morning and I had gained ~0.5kg in the space of a week. In some ways I should be happy that it wasn’t any more considering I only fasted one day!

A new week – a new goal 🙂
    Today is my FD (week 4). Had fruit and yogurt with chia seeds and honey (280 cals)
    Just had a chicken stock bullion to get me through lunch time.
    Planning a raw veg salad with smoked mackerel for dinner.
    I’m also constantly drinking (water, redbush tea) to keep my self hydrated – I’ll see how I’m with the headaches tomorrow.

Next FD will be Wednesday.
    Hoping this week is better than the last.

All the best with your FD/NFDs. x

Hey Ladies,

Another week, another set of fasting! It’s a NFD for me today. After several weeks I have realised that for whatever psychological reason I tend to struggle to fast more on a Monday, so Tuesday is my first fast day of the week now, followed by whatever day works best during that week. I may even do another back to back if I can.

Pissupoosa I have had headaches occasionally, but not like you have described. The constipation on the other hand…now that I am familiar with! I have found in the past that it’s an adjustment period, and that your body soon regulates itself again. But then I am also a terrible drinker and rarely have enough fluids. Don’t worry that yu only fasted for one day, it happens sometimes. But you mentioned your exercise, 40km cycling sounds like a good long workout to me!

As for myself, after my back to back fasting last Wednesday and Thursday, I had an indulgent day on Friday. But on Saturday I skipped breakfast and lunch and just had dinner to try to make up for it, although dinner was a family gathering at my mums (which I’m sure you can imagine was a feast of sorts) but hopefully I managed to limit the damage by skipping those meals. Sunday I ate normally, neither restricting nor indulging. We’ll see what happens on the scales later this week.

Happy FD/NFD to you lovely ladies x

Hello there everyone, I am having a NFD day today because I’m out tonight for dinner and drinks. So my fast days will be Tuesday and … probably Friday. I’ve got quite a few social things on this week which is going to make it hard. But I definitely plan to skip breakfast (did today) and compensate for dinners out etc and have at least one bona fida fast day. Hopefully two. I was surprised on the scales this morning, and not a good surprise! I felt last week had gone pretty well and then a moderate weekend, also I thought my bloating would be down based on ‘time of the month’. Anyway, I know the weight does fluctuate and it’s just part of the process. I’ve accepted that to get down to my target weight is going to take months not weeks and I’m in it for the long haul! But, yes, yet to see what is proving to be an elusive 57…
    Well done to all the fasters out there! I’ll be doing it tomorrow.
    Cheers 🙂

Good morning ladies!

Well, it’s a neverending up and down… I weighed myself this morning, after yesterday’s fast, and was shocked to see the number 60 again. This would mean that in not even two weeks of only doing 1 1/2 FDs I gained over a kilo! I’m still trying not to take these readings too seriously. Maybe I’m retaining water because my muscles are very sore after the 1000cal workout on sunday. Maybe I was too indulgent over the weekend. Maybe it’s just one of these ups and downs. Maybe my body has to adapt to not doing 5:2 anymore. I don’t know. But it’s just not logical that with 2 FDs I was constantly losing and with 1 1/2 I should be gaining that much. I must admit, right now I’m a bit frustrated. I’ll still keep doing what I’m doing and watch my weight. If it goes further up, I’ll have to find another solution…

Well, I weighed myself again tonight and am half a Kilo lighter than this morning….?! But I must say, I’m relieved, this weight seems more logical!

Good morning all!
    How’s the FD/NFD going for everyone?
    Hey Beck, hope you don’t get too disheartened by the weight gain. As you say, may be it’s your body adjusting and will stabilise soon. You’ve achieved a lot and are inspiring all of us 🙂

My first FD this week (Monday) saw a painful end! – I had a light headache throughout the day which got worse later in the afternoon, felt nauseous and faint on the train on the way home (thankfully didn’t keel over!). My headache was really bad all evening. I just about managed to put some raw veg together and open a packet of smoked salmon for dinner. Paracetamol had no effect whatsoever. I don’t know if this was because my body was exhausted after the long bike ride on Sunday afternoon (in the sun and heat)?
    Yesterday was a NFD. Felt better, no headaches. Ate my usual amount for a NFD.
    I haven’t been to the gym since the bike ride – but been walking and keeping up the less intense exercise (>12,000 steps/day). I might attempt another early morning Kettle-bell class tomorrow.
    I’m fasting again today. So far so good, no headache. Keeping my fluid levels topped up as I go along.
    Might go for a walk around lunch time – need to buy some fresh fruit for visiting a friend who just had a baby.
    This might be a little ambitious of me considering Monday, but I’m thinking of doing another (3rd) FD on Friday. It’ll depend on how I feel and any other plans that crop between now and then.
    I haven’t weighed my self yet this week. Probably Friday or Saturday AM.
    Fingers crossed for a good number – I’m still aiming to get down to the 60’s by the end of the month… 🙂

Happy FD/NFD’ing all x

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 385 total)

You must be logged in to reply.