Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,801 through 4,850 (of 5,077 total)

• Good morning ladies!

Yesterday, my day starting back on normal eating after the cleanse was good. I tried to keep it light since I was just coming off cleanse and also going out to dinner so for breakfast I had half a ruby grapefruit (read studies that say eating half of one before meals really helps peel off the pounds! Anyone try that?) and some coconut yogurt with my homemade chia strawberry jam, mixed berries, and sliced almonds mixed in. That kept me pretty full till we went out to eat (I had another half a grapefruit before we went out). Dinner out was a cauliflower and leek appetizer, a few tortilla chips with artichoke spread, strawberry-kale salad, roast chicken, green beans and a cauli-potato mash. Oh, and of course a glass of wine! Today I’m going to do an official fast. I like to eat a late breakfast, a mid afternoon meal and then just some veggies for dinner…tonight it’s asparagus. It really helps me when I just eat light at night. We have the kids’ back to school night this evening so that will keep me occupied and not thinking of food too much! πŸ˜‰

Hi Esther! I wouldn’t worry either about the scales staying put right now! You’ve done so well and maybe your weight just needs a bit of time to stabilize at it’s new spot. Also, just maintaining while under the stress of job hunting is hard so you’re doing awesome! Best of luck in that job search! Btw, are you bilingual, living in Shanghai? Do most people speak some English? Lol re: the sleepover! My son is sleeping over his buddy’s house this Saturday and I can’t wait! πŸ˜‰ Unfortunately with my 10 year old twins, because one of them has Type 1 diabetes which she doesn’t monitor well at night, we end up hosting all the sleepovers with the gaggle of tween girls regularly…it can get quite loud!

Hi Lori, sounds like we have similar weather right now on the right and left coasts! We are supposed to warm up into the 80’s this weekend though! I’m so happy for you that your weight has remained stable despite eating off plan. That means it’s a lifestyle you can live with now! I can’t resist a yummy ear of corn on the cob either!

Ok, time to get going to Pilates. I wasn’t very sore after last Tuesday’s session so I’m hopeful it will continue to go well. I usually have private sessions on Tuesdays and Thursday mornings but my instructor asked if I wanted to do a duet with an older woman in her 70’s that supposedly has been doing pilates for a while. It would of course save me money to do that so I’m game. Told my instructor that I have injured myself prior when I wasn’t being “watched” consistently during moves so having another person in the mix may not work for me which would mean I may have to go back to privates depending on how I feel. We will see…

Have a great day ladies, fasting or not! Bye for now!

Sherry

Hi everyone,
    sherryann, good to hear your 4 day cleanse went well & that you feel better for it. Can you please let me know exactly what you do on the cleanse? Haven’t really done that before.
    Esther, how is the job hunting going? It is definitely more difficult to get things done when the kids are around.
    Lori, is boot camp exercise of some kind?
    Had my first, proper fast day yesterday after going away for the birthday, feel good this morning and better equipped to get back on track.
    Saw my younger sister (she’s 2 years younger than me) when I went away, she suffers with extremely debilitating migraines, a naturopath recommended she try the candida diet. So far it has been very successful, she had not had a migraine for the past 13 weeks since starting the diet and has lost at least 10 to 12kg. Currently she has slowly started to reintroduce some foods to see how she goes.
    It’s a beautiful, cool but sunny day here today, starting to get a bit warmer. I’ve been enjoying seeing the young calves run around playfully when I head through the farm to pick the kids up from the bus in the afternoon, sometimes I’m sure they think I’m chasing them as they run along in front of the car.
    Happy days
    Jill

Hmm as previously reported, its been a tough week weight wise after last weeks nice surprise. Weight wise, crept back up past the 64 mark but funnily the waist and hip measurements did drop slightly so not totally all bad.

Job hunting has been frustrating, the week after I was let go, I had met and communicated with at least 2 parties, one who was very interested. I even met the owner of the company prior to leaving on my Bali holiday. They said they would see what kind of offer they would like to make me, its been 3 weeks since and Nada…nothing. I really hate it when people say they will come back to you and they dont! I don’t want to be pushy and keep on bugging them but at the same time it really bothers me when people do not do what they say they will. So frustrating!

Anyway, that’s life. Taking it one day at a time and not getting too hung up about it.

Weight: 64.7kg
    Waist: 86cm

On the bright side, I do get to spend more time with my kids. Went to the new Luc Besson movie Valerian today, it was awesome and everyone loved it.

Happy Weekend everyone/

esther

Hi Jill, In answer to your question re: my cleanse which was recommended to me by a wellness counselor, each day for 4 days I start the day with a tea made from 8 ounces hot water, the juice of half a lemon, and 1/4 teaspoon each of turmeric and ginger. I have 12 ounces of homemade bone broth (lots of recipes on the internet) for each of my three meals. In the morning I add two over-easy eggs (yoke still runny) fried in a bit of coconut oil and I add a cup of spinach to the soup. For Lunch and dinner I add 3-4 ounces of chicken or turkey (you could add grass fed beef or fish) and a cup of cruciferous veggies, usually cabbage. In between lunch and dinner I have a green “mojito” smoothie I concocted which includes a handful of kale or spinach, a celery stalk, half an unpeeled English cucumber, a handful each of parsley and mint, the juice of half a lime, 8 ounces of unsweetened coconut water, and stevia drops to taste and blend it up….all you taste really is the lime and mint…very energizing! πŸ™‚ After dinner I have a cup of berries. All of the above should be organic whenever possible, especially the protein you use to make the bone broth! I try to do the 4 day cleanse once a month.

Esther, I can see how frustrated you must be on all fronts! At least you are seeing progress on the inches decreasing! I don’t think you’d be a pest to call that company that was interested in you and see what’s up! After all, some companies like candidates that are proactive and really want the job. Best of luck!

Just back from my walk and trying to do some heavy duty dusting (you know the type above your kitchen cabinets high up where you can’t see and haven’t dusted in a good year? ) and organizing the fridge and our large garage freezer. I purchased some fridge storage bins and I’m hoping they’ll help me to get better order with regard to our food storage issues…very unruly currently! Tomorrow we have yet another great nephew’s birthday, this one at the beach.

My weight has inched up a pound since the cleanse, but that’s usually to be expected for me as I normalize my eating. I did fast though yesterday so was hoping I’d maintain the cleanse loss…oh well, onward!

Have a good day all!

Sherry

Well, I guess I’m here to bravely break the almost one week of no posting!

Just back from pilates, my first duet with another woman who was looking for a workout partner. It went ok- we will see how my body feels tonight, the real test! If it works out, it will save me money over private lessons which would be nice!

I’m still slowly inching down in my weight, 0.2 lbs here, 0.4 there. Still not back to post cleanse weight loss but I did have a crazy week after that cleanse with dinners out and birthday parties so the gain for me was to be expected. I am REALLY concentrating this week on monitoring my intake on non-fast days instead of the random, though healthy eating I’ve grown accustomed to. And, it is working slowly but surely as I’m losing those small amounts listed above on non-fast days. I think I’m averaging between 1,000-1,200 calories per day. My actual base line to maintain I think is around 1,400. I’m short/petite so unfortunately, can’t eat much.

My poor hubby got gout in his big toe! A first for him and SUPER painful. This is a guy who never complains about pain and he’s in agony. Supposedly due to eating a diet rich in fatty stuff and is a build up of uric acid. He eats really healthy most of the time though he does love his tortilla chips and a couple beers a day. Maybe he’ll finally listen to me and cut out the beer? πŸ˜‰

Time to shower before I pick up one of my twins for her gastro doc appointment. Poor thing has had some issues for a long time that we hope the doc can resolve.

Well, have a good one all, wherever you are!

Sherry

Hi Sherry!

Sorry your little is having gastro trouble. I hope the Dr. can determine the problem and that the solution is easy and effective. Sorry too about your hubby & gout! I have heard that that is WAY painful.

I am currently battling a UTI and it is not fun. I went to the Dr. yesterday and am on strong antibiotics. I dislike having to take them, but have to get this infection under control.

My WOE and intermittent fasting are still going well. I saw a new low on the scale this morning and am within 8 lbs of as low as I’d want to be. I’m trying to carve off a few more pounds before we leave on our NE/Canada cruise on 9/14. I know I’ll gain during that 9 days! Hoping not more than 5 lbs or so. We’ll be very active, but OY…..the food!

Hope everyone is doing well.

Hey Lori,
    Just saw your post pop up- I’m prone to UTI’ s- generally the “honeymoon” variety. Plagued by them for years & took way too many antibiotics ( they had me taking preventative doses after each “honeymoon”). Finally 4 years ago I went to a naturopath MD who had me take 1 tsp of D-Mannose powder mixed in water, plus a oregano extract capsule & uva ursi capsule the day of & the day after & I’ve been uti free since after 30 years of torture! Don’t know if this will help you at this point but maybe for future reference? You can get all of the above at a good health foods store or even the Vitamin Shop or GNC. Hope this helps! 😘

Hey, Ladies!

It’s been a crazy few weeks!!! My son was home and then back again to college, I had a funeral and saw a bunch of cousins, my daughter started school and we had the big eclipse, which was amazing. I had never seen totality before–if you are ever close to a total eclipse you should definitely go for it. So all those things threw a wrench in my eating but I think I’m almost recovered, knock on wood. I’ve decided to switch it up a bit after talking with my sister in law about a high fat low carb diet. Lori, is that what you do? Do you do it all the time or take breaks? I’m thinking of going Mon-Friday with four hour eating windows in the evening and sticking to the high fat low carb eating unless something unusual comes up, then being more relaxed on the weekend. I’m interested in the ketogenic effect for migraines. I’ve read a little bit and intermittent fasting is often coupled with it.

SherryAnn, thanks for sharing the bone broth cleanse. I thought you went four days with virtually nothing except the broth. I think I could do what you describe except I’m a little squeamish about making the broth. Do you know of any you can buy???

Lori, don’t lose too much weight!! I wish I were in danger of that, haha.

Esther, good luck with the job hunt!!! I sometimes look at jobs but for now it makes the most sense to help with our biz even though it is awkward at times.

Jillsie, I thought my kids were spaced far apart but you beat me! My youngest is 13 and our son is 21, eight years apart almost exactly.

Again, I’ll try to get on more. It does help me stay on track.

Good luck for the weekend!!!!

PS….I am also a fan of oil of oregano for bladder infections. I get them once in a while and use four caps of cranberry and two caps of oregano about three times a day for three to five days. It works better for me than antibiotics. In fact, one time the antibiotic wouldn’t get rid of it but this did, so now I just use my stash. I have not tried the other ones you mentioned, Sherry

Thanks for the suggestions girls! I just ordered some D-Mannose powder & oil of Oregano capsules. I’ll try anything to avoid these infections! Plus, I hate taking antibiotics!

Hi ladies,

Boy is it sweltering HOT here in Southern California! Supposed to hit in the low 100’s where I live today. Thunder clouds are building, coming in from Arizona too so it’s high humidity and expected rain possibly this weekend. They’re telling us we should turn off our air conditioning between 1pm and 10pm to avoid energy blackouts in our regions since so many are running their air. I’m trying to run it all morning to cool the house off before I have to shut it down! I shouldn’t complain when you see what’s happening weather-wise to the poor souls in Texas and Louisiana-Unbelievable!

I had one of those crazy mornings where you think you have a whole morning of not having anything pressing to do/puttering around and then I get a text from my hairdresser saying, “Where are you? You were due a half hour ago!” Yikes! So I had to rush like a crazy person over there. Wish I had known and I wouldn’t have gone through the trouble of washing my hair last night! πŸ˜‰

Elizabeth, how cool you got to see the full eclipse by you! We have friends that drove to Idaho to see it and said it was awesome! So, regarding the bone broth cleanse, I know there are recipes that say to use the whole chicken, feet included for health benefits (supposedly those suckers are full of nutrients!), but I just use a normal chicken carcass from a chicken I roasted earlier. Every time I roast chickens, I freeze the leftover bones (two chickens to a bag, which is what I use for each batch) for when I have time to make bone broth. I remember the first time I made the bone broth, I wanted to do it “right” and got the chicken feet from the butcher. I was going to use the broth in a chicken noodle soup that night for the family and I had to keep pushing down and hiding the feet so the kids wouldn’t see them or there would have been no eating the broth by them that night (they’d have been very disgusted!).

Good luck, Lori with the UTI supplements. I hope it works for you!

Time to pick up my twins. The boy is staying late for football practice and my older daughter gets home at 6pm from a 3 day Catalina Island Junior/Senior retreat so the hubby is picking them up after work. Friday is “fro yo” day for the kids. I love fro yo, but limit myself to one of those tiny taster cups! πŸ˜‰

Have a good one girls! πŸ™‚

Sherry

Hello ladies,
    Am in Malaysia this week to spend some time with mum, she fell and fractured some ribs. Ouch! Since i have time, decided to fly over and catch up with family and job hunt from here.

Trying to watch what i eat, too much of my fave childhood foods…too much carbs! But i am not going to stress too much, moderation is the key and get back on the plan when i get home in a week.

Wishing everyone a great weekend and week ahead.

Esther

Hi my name is FionaRose and I’m starting the fast diet this Thursday and really excited about it and hope this way of eating coupled with more activity will help shift some weight …this is the first plan I have felt would help me make a lifestyle change – great to be part of a community- all the best to everyone.

Hi everyone!

Welcome FionaRose! Best of luck to you with this new way of eating. I think you’ll be pleased! We are here to help however we can!

Esther, I hope your mum is OK! Poor thing! There isn’t anything they can do for fractured ribs, right? They just heal on their own? Wishing you luck with regard to the childhood food favs! Difficult I’m sure. We look forward to your Friday report next week! πŸ™‚

Today is very grey, cloudy and muggy. It wants to rain but alas, there is none in the forecast thus far. But, the forecast also said the sun would come out by 1:00pm and it has yet to do so, so we will see re: the rain!

Still plugging away here food-wise…eating healthy. Haven’t been in the mood for a proper fast day lately. It’s a 4 day weekend here with the kids off for Labor Day today and a teacher conference tomorrow so not quite as easy to pull off a fast with them home.

Tomorrow is a long day with a meeting with our builder re: the remodel and then a 3 hour appointment at a therapeutic learning center for kids with learning disabilities. I’m taking my 16 year old who’s mildly ADD. I want her to learn better organizational, study, and test taking skills before she hits college in 2 years! My poor hubby might even have it worse…he has to unfortunately fire one of our managers who’s been with us for four years;. She started out well but as she’s neared retirement, she has gotten complacent and downright unprofessional, despite numerous discussions re: the need for improvement. The staff talked with my husband and are ready to revolt, so there’s no choice!

Time to prep food for a chicken ramen I make in the instant pot pressure cooker. Super yummy!

Hope you’re all having a great start to the week and pop in to keep us abreast of how things are going for you!

Sherry

Hey, guys! Quick pop on as I have to pick up my daughter in a minute.

Welcome, FionaRose!! I find this relatively do-able and hope you do as well.

I’m plugging along-slipped up a bit with the long Labor Day weekend. I’m still thinking I’ll combine low carb and modified intermittant fasting for a while.

Sherry, I should try the broth!!!

I’ll be back, Elizabeth

Hi everyone,

Just back from my second baby shower in a week (following two consecutive great nephews’ birthdays the prior two weeks) and I have a third shower two weeks from now! AAARGH! The problem with being from a big family…your weekends are often not your own! All three babies that are on their way are girls and will be born between end of this month and the end of October. It will be cute to see them all grow up together.

I have to say I was pretty stellar at the brunch shower…just a big scoop of fruit salad and a hash brown patty. Everything else was pretty much laden in sugar which I stay away from.

I am thrilled that after a sorta fast yesterday ( I wasn’t really counting calories hard), I’m down a pound! YAY me finally! So, I’m at 121.6 and really trying before the holidays to get back down to at least 118. My all time low was last October when I “touched” my supreme goal of 115 for a brief and shining moment! Keeping it off is hard, but I’m learning!

Ok, off to a juvenile diabetes “summer funfest” where the kids can have fun and meet others kids dealing with diabetes. My youngest diabetic is excited to go. Hoping she’ll meet some girls she can keep in touch with!

As always, hope to hear from more of you more regularly, even if it’s just a line to drop in like Elizabeth (Carolina) above!

Cheers!

Sherry

Hi Sherry & everyone!

Still hanging in there around my low. I wouldn’t mind losing another 8 or 10 lbs, but pretty happy where I am. Leaving on a cruise this Thursday, so I know I’ll have some extra to lose when I get home. Oh well…..this too shall pass.

Sherry..how nice to have a get together for your daughter to meet others dealing with Diabetes. Would be great if she meets someone with whom she can keep in touch.

115 lbs??? I think one of my legs weighs that much! You are SO tiny! Even at my thinnest, I weigh much more than that. Big girl here.

Hope everyone is doing well. Watching the news of the hurricane in FL with horror. Those poor people….I can’t imagine.

Take care all!

Hi everyone, my name is Lyn. I am in my mid 50’s, I will be starting the fast diet on Tuesday, looking forward to losing some weight and to get out and start walking, after being cooped up indoors this cold winter that I have endured. I would love to get to know everyone. Cheers

Welcome to Fionarose and Lyn, you have made a great choice joining our little group. We are a friendly and encouraging group. Good luck with the journey.
    I still haven’t managed to pull off that extra kilo from my holidays yet, the scales seem to yoyo around but never quite getting there. But as I always say ‘just keep swimming’ πŸ˜‰
    The weather hasn’t been all that great here yet in Melbourne, it’s fine today at the moment at least when I left to go to church this morning the sun was shining ! But that was at 7:30am and it’s now 2pm. I was singing so had to be there early for souncheck and rehearsal. My husband has just headed out to watch our son in law play Australian Rules football, his team are in the preliminary finals today. I’m staying home in the warmth. I have peace and quite at the moment with the house to myself ahhhh the serenity lol
    My heart and prayers go out to all you American girls with the Hurricanes and floods. Hope you are all safe πŸ™πŸ»
    Love to all Tilly xx

Good Sunday morning lovelies!

Just back from the morning walk with the hubby and just made myself scrambled eggs with goat cheese and thyme and toasted homemade flax meal bread with goat cheese & chopped walnuts toasted in the oven and then sprinkled with thyme and a little monk fruit “maple” syrup on top. Can you tell I was in the mood for all things goat cheese and thyme! I know goat cheese isn’t for everyone, but I just love it’s tangy-ness. Anyhow, very full now! πŸ˜‰

Down another 0.4 to 121.2. Keeping myself accountable like Esther now and actually stating the number from the weigh-ins I’ve decided. I had been doing this but stopped when the numbers weren’t in my favor! Lori, you make me laugh! You know those weight numbers are all relative. You’re a lot taller than my 5 foot 2 inches I’m sure. I’m really “supposed” to weigh between 105 and 110 for my height. I think the last time I saw those numbers I was 14! I’ll be happy maintaining between 115 and 120.

Yesterday was another day that was sort of an inadvertent fast (probably between 600-1000 cals) with the small amount of baby shower brunch food, lettuce wrapped thai turkey meat and a paleo chocolate chip cookie for lunch and three mini-ish chicken tacos for dinner at the diabetes event.

Speaking of the diabetes Summerfest. It was good in terms of the speakers re: latest studies/therapies, etc. but not as many kids as I’d hoped, especially kids my daughter’s age. They still had fun though. Very interesting was a study they asked us to participate in with my diabetic daughter’s fraternal twin where they took a blood sample and will test it for diabetic markers indicating if she’s expected to get it in the future. If so, they’re testing therapies to halt the onset. I’m praying she shows no markers. We knew there was technology out there to test for it and figured, why have that hanging over her head, knowing what’s to come when we already know the onset signs well. But, now that there’s a potential therapy to prevent it, we’re on board.

Hi Lynn and welcome! I’m guessing based on your weather that you’re in Australia? We’re here to help as you embark on your new way of life! πŸ™‚

Tilly, I’m with you. I’ve just started to lose the vacation weight from a month ago. It’s tough for sure! You’ll get there. Yes, it is so sad and scary what is happening in Texas and the Eastern U.S. We may have occasional earthquakes here in So. Cal, but at least we don’t have hurricanes and tornados like other parts of the U.S.!

Well, that’s all I’ve got. Have a restful Sunday!

Sherry

Hi all,

Welcome any newbies – Lyn and FionaRose and anyone I missed. This lifestyle if very functional in that you can move your fast days around to suit your lifestyle.

I’ve been doing well, down a couple pound, but those I had gained back lol. Now that summer has wound down for us in Canada, fewer social functions. I’ve also gone back to my 4km hikes in the woods on weekends, adding that to my yoga. I was going several times a week 2 years ago, but got this (awesome!) full time job and didn’t have time,got lazy, and stopped going. Now, I’m back to trying to get out there 1-2 on weekends. Clears my head, lovely scenery, flora and fauna, very meditative as well as the physical benefits of up and down hills. Used to take my dog but as he’s gotten older he’s less tolerant of other high energy dogs, especially puppies, there have been a couple of scuffles, so he has to stay home now. I feel guilty leaving him

The University I work at is back in full on mode, so lots of students and wow has work picked up a lot!

Hope you’re all doing well!
    Sue
    P.S. Friend has relatives stuck on St. Martin Island, hiding in their car in the mountains as they say crime and looting and even murders have gone on, total lawlessness. Dutch Army had just shown up so hoping things will be under control and they can get back to Canada.

Hi all,

It sure has been quiet in here, am jumping in for a quick update since i was off 2 weekends. Was with parents and family for a week or so and there went the weight. πŸ™ but i can’t say I am too upset about it. Was great to see my parents and spent quality time with them.

So quickly, before i left, my weight was 64.8 kg. The day after i got back, i weighed in at 66.5kg which is almost a week ago. Today after going back to 16:8 days and 3 gym days, i weighed in today at 65.3kg. So 1+ kg gone and back on track to my goal of reaching 63kg in October.

Happy weekend everyone !

Esther

Good morning!

It has been quiet. I haven’t been on much lately because not much is going on and I’m sure people are tired of just reading about my no-so-interesting daily activities! πŸ˜‰

I’m still holding my own at around 121.2. I will start my September monthly 4 day cleanse probably on Sunday. The hubby is out of town in Hawaii on an extended business trip so it’s a bit easier to do it when he’s gone as I don’t feel the need to cook more elaborate food daily for the kids. You know kids, pizza and chicken fingers are their favorites anyhow! Wish me luck while I’m holding down my fort on my own. It’s a major challenge with 4 kids going every which way to drama, tennis, and football practices as well as tutoring and doctor visits and the daily grind of laundry, shopping, cooking, homework, etc. I’m a bit stressed already! πŸ™

Sue, I hope your friends’ friends made it out of the Caribbean ok! Sounds like a nightmare! I was in Martinique back in the late 80’s (at a Club Med of all places!) when Hurricane Gilbert hit. I remember there was no electricity and the whole resort was so flooded that we all had to go shoeless (and everyone ended up with athelete’s foot as a result!). Air France couldn’t land for 3 days to pick us up! Your weekly forest walks sound heavenly! I’m sure you’ve heard in Japan that docs will actually prescribe “forest bathing” to patients where they tell them to get out and hike in the forest to improve their health. Actual physiological benefits to breathing in the forest smells, reducing stress, etc!

Hey Esther, glad you’re home and enjoyed your time with family! Is your mum doing better? That weight will fall off in short order since you’re getting right back at it…easy on, easy off I always say with weight! It’s when you let it “sit” and “solidify” that it becomes a more permanent problem! πŸ˜‰

My twin year old girls are going to the “Daddy Daughter Dance” this Saturday night with my mom’s husband (step grandfather I guess you’d say?) since my husband is out of town. So nice of him to step in. I told him not much will be required of him, maybe a dance or two with the girls and then all they will do (based on my husband’s past reports) is run around with all their little girlfriends the rest of the evening!

Hope some of you MIA ladies pop in to let us know how you’re doing this weekend! Have a good weekend everyone! πŸ™‚

Sherry

Hi, ladies! Sorry to be awol so long. It’s good to hear everyone is still staying the course more or less. I’ve done a week of low carb/high fat eating. Yesterday I got a migraine but my sil said that will happen as you adjust. Anyway, I plan to do it for three weeks and then hopefully use it in conjunction with 5/2. I’m sort of doing that now, but I hope to get in a mode where I benefit from days of low carb/high fat while I can still eat some carbs on other days…..we’ll see! I’m also trying to step up the exercise.

SherryAnn, I hope you get helpful info on your other daughter’s diabetes. We did 23andMe testing and I want to upload the data into a program that gives food advice.

Good job, Esthi, Sue. Tilly, hang in there! I’m in the same club of yoyo and slow progress, but that’s better than a continual slide in my book! Lori, have a great cruise.

Welcome, Moose! How is it going?

Hi Elizabeth! I guess it’s just me and you lately!

I’m on day 3 of my monthly cleanse. Lately I too have been feeling like a yo yo…going up and down a few pounds but having difficulty getting back below 120 lbs. I can’t seem to eat the littlest bit of carbs (and mind you I eat high quality carbs and no gluten) without the weight starting to inch back up. I can’t really do the high fat thing as I don’t seem to digest too much fat well. I think I’ve got a bit of a digestion issue that I need to get looked at.

I did the 23andMe testing. What is the program that you upload data to give you food advice based on that testing?

I’m very tired solo parenting for a week now and I’ve got a lot more days to go while hubby is away on business. I’ve got to take one of the twins to the doc today (I seem to always be at the doctors with them for something!) because her ears, which were pierced last spring, have skin growing over the butterfly backing to her earring! It’s not thin either so I don’t want to try to poke through!

Tomorrow I have to bring my twins to school at 6am to leave at 6:15 for a marine biology trip where they take us out on the ocean to collect samples to analyze from the ocean floor as well as have them dissect a fish- YUCK!

Saturday is the 3rd baby girl baby shower in my family in the last month. I love babies, but come on! I’m tired! πŸ™

Anyhow, sorry to sound so grumpy but it’s been a long week with more of that to come. I hope you all are doing better than me LOL! Have a good rest of the week!

Sherry

Hey, SherryAnn! Hang in there! I’m so envious of your weight–you just need to stay the course and not get in bad patterns.

I also notice that I am much more sensitive to carbs than I used to be. Bummer! I’m also more sensitive to salty things and artificial things. It’s not that I have stomach issues, but bloating and icky feeling and things like that.

My daughter had a stud earring get stuck in her piercing once. I thought we’d have to go to the doctor but fortunately we somehow got it out.

Yesterday I was low carbish, but not as strict as I should have been. We had a wedding shower at the office and I had a lot of nuts. Plus I went out to lunch with my husband and got a Mexican salad with black beans. Today I’m fasting and I walked over 12,000 steps with my walking buddy! Hoping to get back in that pattern but short term it may lead to some water gain.

Good luck, everyone. Let us know how it’s going.

PS…SherryAnn, here is a summary of some of the available services for DNA databases. We’ve done Promethease and I’m thinking about the selfdecode one….
    http://www.wellnessthroughfood.com/miscellaneous/so-you-got-a-23-and-me-test/

Here’s my update this week. Its been a goid week, i had my 3 gym days,2 yoga days and lots of walking. The weight was dropping 100 grams a day, didn’t plan it but yesterday turned out to be a fast day.

Woke up this morning and viola:
    Weight 63.8 kg…wowee down from 65.3 kg last week!

Waist still slow at 86cm but overall i am happy.

Happy weekend all. Its football tomorrow morning for my youngest who has two matches to play.

Esther

Hi All, congrats Esther!! Sounds like you’re making progress in the right direction!!! Nice to hear!

I’m annoyed bc had 2 good fast days this week and am up a bit from last Friday. So random which is what makes it annoying – but I’ll keep on it. Stomach has been a bit “off”, we’ve have unseasonably high temps and humidity (I’m in Ontario Canada” which on the one hand is nice, but also gives me headaches. Got to 2 yoga classes this week, one is hatha yoga, quite hard, lots of warrior poses and lunges, the other is Yin yoga which is more stretching and breathing; I like to have the balance.

I just want to day to be OVER – I’m working on a boring task at work, so the time is dragging.

Sherry I’ve never heard of that happening with a piercing, I hope it’s an easy, painless fix!

Have a great weekend everyone – our temps are supposed to be in the high 30sC with the humidity!!!!

Hi lovely ladies!

So happy to see some “action” going on here! πŸ™‚

Well, the doc ended up having to slice open both my poor 10 year old’s earlobes to get at the butterfly backing that the skin had grown over! Very bloody operating on those ears (or anything on the head as you know bleeds a lot). So now she’ll have to let them close up. No stitches needed, just Neosporin morning and night he said.

I just finished day 4 of my monthly cleanse and decided to do an extra day today for the heck of it. I got down to 120.0 even on the scale this morning and it fluctuated back and forth to 119.8, so I’m hoping to get below 120.0 officially by tomorrow! As usually happens with the cleanse, I see a magic new low number and then I go up a pound or so after starting to eat normal. Then after 5-7 days, it seems to settle back in that lower number range. At this rate I lose about one “net” pound a month. I could probably do a little better if I were more diligent with my fast days! Oh well, I’m not that far off from my goal of 115-117 lbs so I’m ok with it. I start feeling really good when I hit 118 so can’t wait for that!

One of those three baby great nieces was finally born last night, Peyton Rose. The other two are due in October. Haven’t had a chance to see her yet. Maybe this weekend.

Thanks Elizabeth for the genetics info. I’ll look into it when I get a free (ha ha) moment! Yeah, lately my digestion issue is getting gassy after meals, no matter what the meal, but more so with something with carbs. I’ve been doing a bit of research and am thinking it’s candida overgrowth causing the symptoms. I had taken a fair amount of antibiotics for the aforementioned UTI’s in my past which I’m sure killed off the good bacteria and left an opening for the bad stuff to go haywire. I need to get into the naturopath.

Great job Esther! So happy for you! I’ve got my 11 year old son’s football game tonight. So far they haven’t won a game…hoping tonight’s the night for the poor team! πŸ˜‰

Hey Sue, it is annoying when you’ve been “good” and then the scales are not good to you! It could even be the humidity that’s causing you to hold on to some water weight? Sometimes that happens to me when I travel to Hawaii and it’s extra humid…I gain a bit of weight and everything just feels “heavy”, like I’m holding on to fluid!

Have a great weekend ladies!

Sherry

Hi all,

Don’t mean to sound like a broken record, but where is everyone?

I’m doing well since my 5 day cleanse. I actually was able to get into the 119 range (wobbling between 119.0-119.8 depending on the day!), so I’m pretty happy as I started close to 122 prior to the cleanse.

It’s been almost a week since I’ve been on, as life is crazy while my husband is gone. The running around I do makes my head spin sometimes! There is ALWAYS something fairly bad that happens or breaks while my husband is gone and this time there appears to be an under the slab/cement floor leak. Our tile floors from the laundry room where the water heater is located all the way to the adjacent bathroom are very hot to the foot. This has caused our propane to get eaten up much faster than usual and now we have no hot water for showers! My hubby is trying to get an emergency delivery of propane and will have to get a plumber out here when he returns. We might have to take cold military style shower tonight (or use wipeys!) of he can’t get someone out here today. Apparently it’s difficult for these guys to do quick deliveries as they’re all scheduled out tightly. UGH!

Anyhow, I am getting brief respites of walks and pilates in between it all to keep me half way sane! And my weight being lower also helps me feel better!

Ok, that’s all I’ve got for now but as usual, hope to hear from you ladies soon!

Sherry

Oh my gosh Sherry……so sorry you’re having problems. Sounds like your water heater is leaking….what a mess! Hope you can get it repaired soon and that you don’t have too much damage. Good luck!

I just got home from a 9 day cruise to New England & Canada. I gained 4 lbs, which is not bad considering how much and what I ate for 9 days! OY! I’m trying to get back on track but now have a cold/sinus thing going on so have been doing some “feeling sorry for myself” eating. I’ll keep soldiering on!

I took the month off from boot camp and will resume October 2nd. I decided to freeze my boot camp membership for the month of September since we would be away much of the month. As it turns out it was a good move as I couldn’t have gone this week with this sinus thing going on.

Sounds like you are doing well with your weight Sherry. Hope everyone else is doing well too.

Later!

Hi everyone, time for my weekly check in. Its short as with job hunting, projects, football training and kids starting 1 week National Day holidays, i am swamped.

Had another good week, weight is now down to 63.5 kg. Thumbs up!

Happy weekend all.

Esther

Hi all! It’s a ghost town here!

Well, I’m hanging in there. Hubby home so that’s good. Plumbing fixed so that’s good too!

My weight was staying in the 119’s for about 2 weeks and then we had my son’s birthday last week which seemed to last all week! We went out to eat, we had kids over for a party and then the relatives over for another. I made the yummiest recipe from the internet for a dark chocolate cake made with coconut sugar that no one knew was healthy (but even though coconut sugar is lower glycemic, it’s still a sugar, let’s face it!). Then I made empanadas last night to top it all off…I really can’t seem to eat carbs, even healthy-ish ones at night without gaining. So, 2lbs up from all that….UGH! Getting on it right away so hoping it goes bye bye just as quick as it came on! πŸ™

Sitting here sipping tea-it will definitely be a fast day today! Btw, the tea is great for fast days. It’s call Numi organic tea in Chocolate Pu-erh flavor. It’s described as “velvety and smooth”! I add a little dark chocolate flavored stevia drops to it and it “almost” fools me into thinking I’m having dessert!

Esther, great job as always! You GO GIRL! πŸ™‚

Ok, off to take my morning walk. Wish me well this week tackling that 2 lbs, and I wish you all a great start of the week! Please pop in to say hello and let us know how you’re doing! We all need the support! πŸ˜‰

Hugs!

Sherry

Hi Sherry!!

I’m getting ready to leave on a vacation, so just a quick pop in. Glad hubby is home and that your plumbing problems have been resolved. Don’t worry about that couple pound gain…it will be gone in a day or 2.

I’m holding the line on my weight, although it is about 10 lbs above where I think I want to be. Problem is, I have been getting some new clothes that are fitting me perfectly…even jeans in a size I never thought I’d see again(YAY), so don’t want to lose too much more so that my new clothes don’t fit. Decisions, decisions! I’m quite amazed that I haven’t been gaining as I have been having quite a problem resisting ice cream lately. Sigh…..After this week of vacation, I am back on the straight & narrow! I’m also going to resume my boot camp workouts as well as join our new local Rec center and start weight training again.

I have taken a part-time job at a sporting goods store. I needed something to do and the bit of extra $$ will come in handy for our vacations. I’ve never done retail work, so there’s been quite a learning curve. I’ve only been there 3 weeks. The holiday season will be a bear, I’m sure.

Take care all and keep on keepin’ on!

Lori! Just back from walk and saw your post! Thanks so much for popping in! Great job keeping the weight off and if you do happen to lose that 10 (that you may not even really need to lose!), you can always get the new clothes taken in! πŸ˜‰ Have a wonderful time on vacation. You seem to be going on a lot of trips! Good for you! Pop in when you get back!

Low Carb and 5:2 works for me – can non-fast days be low carb?

I recently worked out my body type, which is a combo of Endomorph/Ectomorph. This new knowledge has really really helped me lose the flab as Endomorph get most of their fat from, guess what? carbs. Weight Watcher and Slimming World groups encourage carb consumption (unlimited fruit, rice, potato, pasta), so I wasn’t losing weight/flab even though I followed the plans religiously. 3 weeks on a low carb plan, 10 pounds gone so far and I feel FABULOUS (Spring Chicken has landed!). I want to lose a total of 2 stone, so 18 more to go.

I have tried 5:2 and love it – again, my energy levels zoomed up and lost that constant bloated feeling.

Variety works for me and I thought I could combine the low carb portion into the 5:2 plan. I exercise (CV/weights) 3 times a week and on HRT (joy).

What kinds of meals do you eat on non-fast days? As I want this as a life plan, What do you think?

Hi All, yep I’m in that stage of doing this all over again! I have lost weight with 5:2 twice before and also with completing half of the 8 week blood sugar diet (I’m not diabetic and didn’t need the dramatic weight loss that 8 weeks would bring) which was also really successful. My issue is starchy carbs for sure. I lack control with potatoes (can happily leave rice and pasta) and just find that when I’m eating ‘normally’, my consumption of fast absorbed carbohydrate is simply too high. So I am embarking on the journey, again, and rather than making huge promises to myself, I just want to shed the stone I have gained over the past year. I know I feel just great, 1 – 1/2 stone lighter. Last time I did 5:2 I struggled with food consumption on my eating days, too many carbs and so I plan to manage this a little more, but still allow for some eating of things I wish to have in the hope that overall, it will go in the downward direction. Does anyone else struggle with carb consumption or food on their days off? How do people control their urge to eat too many starchy carbs?
    Thanks all.

Hi to the new ladies, Time to change & Beady! Sounds like you have similar issues with carbs. Unfortunately I think a lot of us ladies, myself included, experience increased sensitivity to carbs as we age. For me it’s probably due to overconsumption earlier on life-it just taxes the pancreas. Personally, I’ve found what works best for me is trying to fast 2x/week and keeping it lower carb, almost Paleo eating style. I also try to work in a 4 day bone broth, protein, veggie, berries cleanse once per month. I hope this helps-best of luck!

Still holding my own here. Up a bit today because of some weird gastro issues I need to see doc about & we took kids to Disneyland yesterday so I didn’t eat my normal healthy diet! I leave next week for Hawaii so trying to get back on track quickly! How are all the rest of you girls doing? Missing hearing from you alll lately!

Sherry

Hi all, welcome to the newcomers.
    It’s been a while between posts. Been busy and not much happening on the weight front. Still maintaining, scales go up and down according to the day haha
    Have had a bad cold in the past few weeks which meant not much exercise so weight goes up, then started back last week and weight goes down. Just not enough.
    I have set myself a goal to lose 3kg by Christmas, here’s hoping. It’s a small step but it’s going in the right direction.
    Carbs are a problem for most of us. I try not to have too many. I’m the same I do like potatoes too. Rice and pasta I can miss although I do love a gnocchi which combines pasta and potatoes lol.
    I walk once a week with a group of girls of our age and we all seem to have the same battle!
    Like you beadybliss HRT is not helping I don’t think, although I am on a very low dose at my instigation. My doctor is happy with me where I am at the moment.
    Anyway girls just keep swimming
    Love Tilly xx

Thanks everyone. Well carbs are a common theme. My fast yesterday was fine. Because I have fasted so much in the past, it feels familiar. I’m trying not to over think it and not to weigh myself too much. It’s a normal day today, so though I don’t plan to count calories, I am going out for dinner tonight, so might just have that meal as my food for the day with perhaps some salad for lunch to ensure I get enough veggies.
    I’ll try to have a sensible meal while out and no dessert. On another note, I always did drink tea and coffee on my fast days and just included the milk in my calories. I’m doing that again now. I find it easy to not eat, but I cannot do without tea! I drink loads of water too and also some sugar free squash, just for a different taste. Sometimes I have herbal teas too. What do others do? Also, are there many people putting in an extra fast or maybe a third day which is calorie restricted, even if it’s not a full blown fast? Thanks everyone. Have a good day.

What kinds of meals do you eat on non-fast days?

I want to keep to my very low carb plan with the odd treat (glass of wine, few crisps) saved for the weekends.

I have now ordered the 5:2 book for guidance and recipes, but thought I would get some good ideas from the Mid-Fifties page.

I find that a large glass of sugar free Pear & Apple squash with sparkling water to be very refreshing and a change from plain water. I am with you on the tea, have to have tea through out the day. A boiled egg and ham snack is also appetite suppressing and tasty. I tend to spread out my fast day calories, in order to have a pre-bed snack. Without this snack, I wake up in Tigger mode at 4am…

Hi beadybliss. Some of my favourite low carbs meals are:

Cooking a massive pan of roasted vegetables with lemon, garlic and herbs. Mix it up, whatever you like.
    I then use the over 2-3 days to add interest and flavour into other things including spinach salads with avocado and feta with pine nuts.
    I also often cook a frittata using the veg and a chop in some chicken. A again can be used the next day if it’s a big one. I’m a big fish fan, so often will have a nice piece of pan fried fish with home made green pesto and big plate of veg. I make meatballs and will have with congested in ribbons or spirals and a good handful of Parmesan cheese. Cauliflower cheese is a staple in my house and I will often chuck a few eggs into a veggie/tomato stew for a nice supper. When I’m eating low carb I do tend to eat more dairy, not excessively, but it makes food taste better and fills me up. I never buy low fat dairy and sometimes use butter to enrich the flavour of a food like pan fried fish. Oh and I also eat lots of soup when I’m doing low carb. It’s filling and I find that it cuts down cravings for other foods. I also eat nuts and seeds and will regularly chuck them into stir fries and salads for extra taste and texture. I have the blood Bugatti diet recipe book which is great and I still use it when I’m on a low carb plan.

Hi beadybliss. Some of my favourite low carbs meals are:

Cooking a massive pan of roasted vegetables with lemon, garlic and herbs. Mix it up, whatever you like.
    I then use them over 2-3 days to add interest and flavour into other things including spinach salads with avocado and feta with pine nuts.
    I also often cook a frittata using the veg and a chop in some chicken. A again can be used the next day if it’s a big one. I’m a big fish fan, so often will have a nice piece of pan fried fish with home made green pesto and big plate of veg. I make meatballs and will have with courgettes in ribbons or spirals and a good handful of Parmesan cheese. Cauliflower cheese is a staple in my house and I will often chuck a few eggs into a veggie/tomato stew for a nice supper. When I’m eating low carb I do tend to eat more dairy, not excessively, but it makes food taste better and fills me up. I never buy low fat dairy and sometimes use butter to enrich the flavour of a food like pan fried fish. Oh and I also eat lots of soup when I’m doing low carb. It’s filling and I find that it cuts down cravings for other foods. I also eat nuts and seeds and will regularly chuck them into stir fries and salads for extra taste and texture. I have the blood sugar diet recipe book which is great and I still use it when I’m on a low carb plan.

Thank you – super useful. I am sure there are recipes on this forum also – will have a look around and see if I can find them.

Hi, ladies! I’m not dead, haha.

It’s funny that I haven’t been on in over a month and then when I read here, I see the exact issues I’m dealing with!!!! I’m trying to combine low-carb and intermittant fasting into a workable long-term program. On the one hand, I haven’t made a ton of progress but I am 15 lbs less than my all-time high and going in the right direction, just with a lot of bouncing along the way…..It’s fascinating how age affects the way we handle carbs, isn’t it? Anyway, I’m trying to be low-carb Monday morning through Thursday supper (at least), and have modified intermittant fasting in there, too. Then I am more relaxed on the weekend. Of course, if there is a really special occasion during the week, I feel I can make an exception, but honestly, that doesn’t happen too often. I originally tried low carb to see if it helped migraines–it was mixed but interesting…..One thing that helps me stick with it during the week is using ketone strips. I know they are not terribly accurate, but it’s kind of a game to see if it says I’m burning fat.

I need to lose ten pounds to get my bmi in the healthy zone. I should lose twenty because I have small bones! My immediate goal is to lose five, hopefully before the holidays.

Welcome to Beadybliss and TimetoChange!!!! So good to read your stories!!! The recipes look amazing. I had to look up squash, haha. I did guess what it was the second reference but the first time I saw it, I was very confused. My daughter had that in Europe this summer and has been asking for it since she got back!!! I have cream in my coffee on fast days. You do what you have to do…..

Sherry and Lori and Tilly, congrats on keeping with it! I know you look amazing. I’m on bioidentical HRT cream. It took a while to get the right combo but now I am pleased I think.

Better run!! I’ll try to be on more. It helps me stay focused.

Hi Everyone!

I’m still hanging in there. I go on vacation….gain a couple pounds, come home and get back on track and lose it. Then another vacation comes around and the cycle continues. I’m pretty happy where my weight is, but wouldn’t mind another 8 or so pounds gone. The only thing that is bothering me is the saggy, wrinkly skin on my upper arms. I know there is nothing to be done except surgery, and I’m not going down that road. I have seen the scars left by that surgery, and I think I’ll keep my saggy skin! I am going to start doing more weight training for my arms in hopes that the muscles will take up some of the slack. πŸ˜‰

Sherry….off to Hawaii again?!! You lucky duck. Is it just you, or the whole family? Enjoy!

Hi to all the newbies and those of you who have been here off and on. Keep on keepin’ on!

Hello Carolina (as in the Carolina Panthers USA?)

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my struggle with weight loss is carb related due to my endomorph body type and age… age seems to be the “is the reason bucket”.

I am starting week 4 on my low carb plan (approx. 50g carbs a day) and I have to say, I feel energetic and de-bloated. Special occasion – out for hubby’s dinner last night where some fries ended up in my mouth and half a roll… felt it the next morning – bloated – dang carbs!! how can something so loved can be so terrible!

Plus side? if I can have cream in my coffee, butter and avocadoes – what’s not to like?

Recipe: Side dish I use – head of cauliflower, greens, broccoli, veg bullion – steam, smash and store in “store n pour” bags, freeze until needed. The steaming makes the mash less wet – you can even fry it if you so wish.

Hi all,

Its good to see some activity here after weeks of silence. I am partly at fault, being busy with job hunting and negotiations, one week travel to Singapore, kids etc.

I am still on track towards my goal of touching 63kg in October. Today the scales tipped at 63.3kg, my lowest so far. My waist is very slowly nudging at 85cm, my goal of 82cm by year end is still doable. Not so good is my fasting sugar, I can feel it some days with dry throats at night and day…great sign of high sugar so i intend to lay off the sweets and sugar….till i get this under control.

Have a great aloha trip Sherry. Lucky you.

Welcome to the newcomers and wishing everyone a great week and weekend ahead. Its the hump day already..how time flies.

I start on the 1st of my 2 marketing and communications consulting jobs tomorrow. I will work in office two days of the week, other time its work at home and offsite…Second consulting job starts in January with some travel in the region which is really great, I love to travel so this is one perk I am looking forward to.

esther

Viewing 50 posts - 4,801 through 4,850 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.