Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,701 through 4,750 (of 5,077 total)

• Hi girls, still quiet here I see- don’t know if anyone’s around to read this? πŸ˜‰ Brandon, MO was fun but not as “glitzy” as I’d sonehow amticipated? We went to amusemenr park called , “Silver Dollar City” with kids & then to see the Dutton Family show later that day. It was a fun day. We were camping by a river in Kentucky for the last two days. Left Kentucky (omg so beautiful!) this morn for Michigan. We plan on lots of bonfires, kayaking down rivers, and boating in lakes with friends & family.

My eating is still “ok” & no I haven’t broken out the scale yet (it’s under the motor home!).

I’ll be very busy over the next 5 days or so therefore u may not see me here for a while. Hope you’re all doing okey dokey! Esther, looking forward to the Friday report tomorrow! 😊 Bye for now!

Sherry

Sherry it’s been quiet on here!
    Your trip sounds so amazing! I’ve heard of Brandon, but didn’t know it had an amusement park. I’ve been to Kentucky many years ago and it is beautiful. Michigan is lovely too. So many people just think of Detroit but it’s got a lot of natural beauty. Great experience for your kids – everyone getting along ok?
    I think you’re been active enough that any treats you’re eating are being burned off
    Got my two fast days in this week. Have been pretty hungry on the fast days but resisting temptation. Still hovering around the same weight. Hoping tomorrow will show a loss
    Into Toronto Saturday. Taking my 14 yr old son to the museum and staying at a nice hotel. Also the Eaton’s Centre which is a massive mall in downtown Toronto.
    Glad things are well – hope others will chime in
    Sue

Sherry…what a cross country trip you are having! WOW! How long will you be away from home for this vacation? You are covering a lot of territory!

I can’t believe you take a scale along on vacation. You are much more dedicated than I am. I’m doing intermittent fasting now and getting on great with it. I joined an online “class” to learn all about the benefits aside from weight loss etc.

Safe travels Sherry…….and hope everyone here is having a great start to their summer!

Hi girls- just finishing up our tour of upper Michigan . Finished visiting with my hubby’s relatives and now I’m the upper peninsula (UP) where my husbands mother grew up. Very cold & rainy which seems to be the theme of our entire trip! We had fun boating, visiting area farms so the kids could check out animals. Lots of walks down quiet country roads. In yo Minnesota just yo spend a night before heading to Mount Rushmore.

Hope you’re all well!

Sherry

Hey all, I’ve got some time to jump on here as we bounce down the road through Wisonsin & Minnesota. Meant to respond to your questions, Sue & Lori-

Sue I meant to type in “Branson”, Missouri not Brandon! Yes, there’s a big amusement park there and lots of caves to see! I never knew that either until I started researching the area on our way over. Glad you’re making it thru your fast days despite the hunger. Hope you and your son had fun in Toronto!

Lori, we’ll be gone one month total so we’re almost halfway through. Been thru 10 states so far! What’s the name of your online class you’re taking? Has it been helpful thus far?

Well tomorrow is Mt. Rushmore and I’m really looking forward to seeing that. The remainder of this trip is going to be a bit more ” roughing it” with lots of hiking ( hoping to burn off any chub I’ve added over the last few days) and more primitive campsites, some without water/electricity/ sewer hook ups ( not furniture 6 people trying to take quick showers & use the “facilities”!). This last half of the trip should be beautiful though- especially Yellowstone & Glacier national parks!🌲🐿🐾🏞

Esther, I don’t recall seeing the Friday report on your progress? How are you faring?

Let’s hear from some of you other MIA ladies! πŸ˜‰

Bye for now!🚎

Sherry

Comment above meant to say ” not fun with 6 people showering, etc.”- not ” furniture! I blame the bumps in the road & autocorrect! 😬

Hey Sherry,

Thanks for the note, I thought I had posted but when checking back looks like I didn’t. πŸ™ Maybe I did it on the other post I am following.

Weight wise, slow half kg per week but still dropping. Otherwise the rest seem to have stalled a bit. I am trying to give it a jump start, did a Fast day followed by 2 800 cal days and aiming for another Fast day today. Let’s see what tomorrow’s report will show. Here are last weeks numbers.

9 June
    Weight: 66.4kg
    Waist: 88cm
    Hips: 100cm

2 June
    Weight: 67.4 kg
    Hips: 101cm

26 May

19 May

12 May
    Weight: 68 kg
    Waist: 89cm
    Hips: 103cm

Start date: 28 April
    Weight: 70 kg
    Waist at belly: 94cm
    Hips : 105cm

Hi SherryAnn and all the rest of you girls,
    Sounds like you are having a wonderful trip. We are hanging out for our trip at the end of the month. Heading north to the sunshine and warmth ahhhhh 😎 Traveling with four kids is a challenge at the best of times but staying where there are limited or no facilities would be very challenging indeed !! We travel in a camper trailer ( tent on the top of a trailer) although it has all the bells and whistles. We have a toilet, shower and hot water..comfort indeed.
    On the 5:2 front still stable, I think I’ve found my sweet spot with my weight. Will keep on with my two FD each week. If I lose more I will be happy, if not that’s all good too. So long as I don’t start putting it back on.
    Well going to be busy for the next two weeks. Due to my mother in law being in hospital for gall bladder surgery unexpectedly( at least to her family 😏) I am now hosting our USA family instead of mum.They arrive Saturday morning and I found out last night I’m on hosting so a bit frantic here !!
    Just keep swimming girls
    Love Tilly ❀

So I finally broke through the 66kg barrier…I truly cannot remember when I was last that weight (definitely counted in years) but stepping on the scale this morning and seeing 65.9 kg was so rewarding. And in the midst of that joy, I forgot to measure the rest. :-)….

I decided to keep the start date and the last two weeks measurement or else this post will get too long. Hope everyone is well and have a great weekend.

Today 16 June
    Weight: 65.9 kg

9 June

Hi all!!

Wow, it has been a long time since I’ve been on here. Sorry!

My early departure was owing to a 10-day family trip in Northern Georgia. Let me tell you, that is not an easy place to watch what you eat, especially when family wants to feed you smoked pork 24:7!! I’m thrilled I didn’t gain a pound, but losing was completely out of reach.

The week I returned I moved my office from one building to another. As I type this I’m surrounded by boxes and am basically unpacking one pen at a time. :/

So, needless to say, those were fantastic excuses to forget about fasting! Although on the plus side, I have started working out with a trainer and she is kicking my butt. It actually gives me the challenge of figuring out when to fast because my workout days are on the days I was fasting. Hmmm… does anyone do those things together?

Sherry – your trip sounds awesome and I am also amazed you bring a scale. Good on you!

Esthi – CONGRATULATIONS! What a great feeling that must be. I’ll be back on my scale on Monday.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Ali

Hello to all from Australia
    Just starting 5:2 today having a green tea for breakfast,want to loose 15kg.
    Very encouraging to read about other people loosing weight hope it will keep me going.
    Lost hunband 2years ago so evenings very sad just watching movies and eating the wrong food.
    But I Will loose this weight as I was never overweight so please keep writing and I will keep reading.
    Cheers
    IsabelπŸ˜ƒ

Hi Isabel,

I’m sorry to hear of your loss, but if you found us you’re on the right track. I love seeing notes on this site and it helps keep me on track.

So, welcome!

Ali

Hi, ladies!! So sorry to be awol for so long. I don’t really have an excuse–just that our son was home for ten days or so and I was in the kitchen all the time trying to keep him fed. That is the biggest challenge for me. I can go without eating all day but if I am working in the kitchen, all bets are off. And then cooking good food. I am just not up for it. Then after he left we were super busy with end of school stuff with my daughter including state testing and I think I stress more than she does about it. And then all the parties, etc.

So, as I said, no excuse. But NOW I have a HUGE opportunity. My husband and daughter are in Europe for three weeks. It was more emotional to see her off than I thought!!! But now they are away and having a good time and I’ve had my girls’ supper club here and I have a good amount of time to get my act together!!! I am preparing for some sort of cleanse but not sure what. I saw a three day one that looked good and doable, so I may try that. I thought about the bone broth but I’m a teensy bit veggie leaning and I’m not sure I can do that. Any ideas are welcome.

Anyway. My goals are to log in here every day, to exercise every day, to have no sugar or gluten unless I’m out with a friend, to do at least three fast days a week and to try the cleanse. So I hope to be on a lot more lately.

I also have organization goals and other goals. I really want to focus on things that need attention!!!! I will try to go in the office as usual on Wednesday, too.

Sherry Ann, your trip sounds epic!

Isabel, stay with us and you’ll see progress–it may not be as fast or dramatic as you like, but the direction will be the right way!!!

Cosette, congrats on not gaining on your trip. I always do.

Esthi, WOW!! You are doing amazing.

Tilly, good luck with those USA peeps. We are high maintenance, haha!

Siouxsee, have a blast in Toronto! We went there about six years ago and it was amazing.

Hope to be back soon!!!!! EJ

Hello,

I’m just starting this week and seem in similar boat of being 50+, weight gain, various diets loosing gaining, menopausal, etc. etc…..

Feeling pisitive about this one and Michael has increased fast threshold to 800, looking firward to shift the pounds with you alls support.

Cheers
    Rajula

Hi all, Sherri, hope your still enjoying your trip – lots of great memories as a family! My trip
    Into Toronto was fun. I loved and worked there before marrying and moving to Waterloo an hour outside. Home of blackberry if anyone has one, lol! So lots of memories for me and also tons of changes. Condos condos everywhere!!
    Welcome newbies, Rajula and Isabel – this is very do-able if you pay attention to
    What you’re eating and don’t go crazy on the non fast days.
    Wow, Esthi, you must be thrilled with your progress, helps with motivation that’s for sure!
    Fast day today found it easier than others I’ve had, no urge to cheat but I was pretty busy st work so kept distracted.
    Hope you’re all doing well!
    Sue

Thanks all, yes I am absolutely thrilled that there has been such good progress. The countdown has started, this Sunday night we fly off to Nice, France for 3 weeks to see family and some sightseeing – Venice for one.

Looking forward to this trip and aiming to do my best to stay on track. Probably the gym days will be replaced with walk a jog along the Promenade des Anglais…certainly can’t complain about the view. So the goal is to step be within that 65kg range by Sunday night when I get onto that airplane.

Fast Day today – Wishing everyone a wonderful week ahead.

I did it !!!!
    Finish yesterday my first day and found it not too hard only at night I was a bit hungry so decide to go early to bed . Today I ate normal but decide not to eat cake with my morning tea(a first for me) very proud of myself. Decide to wait to see how I go on Thursday and then weight myself .
    Thanks Ali for your words.
    I will let you all know how I go next Thursday, all the best to all.
    Isabel πŸ˜€

Welcome, Rajula! Hope you get a good start. Remember that it gets easier. It helps me to remind myself that feeling hungry passes. Everyone has a different pattern that works for them. I don’t eat at all until at least 4 and then, if I’m truly feeling deprived, I have a small high protein snack and maybe a small fruit. In the evening, if I really need it, I allow myself the same. Usually I don’t need it but knowing I allow it helps me feel not so deprived. Anyway, that’s me. You’ll find your own groove.

Congrats, Isabel!! You did it.

Siouxsee, I love it when FD is easier than expected!!!

Esthi, good luck meeting your goal and have a fabulous trip!!!!

I’m doing pretty well so far. I am doing a little HIT and weight lifting in addition to walking. Very low level, but it helps me keep in the mindset. Today I am doing a power walk with my friend, which we have not done in ages!! I’m still deciding what type of cleanse/detox I want to do. I think I will do a blend of things and hope for the best! I’ve found several that are similar. I’m not giving up coffee, though, haha. I’m not that crazy.

Wow–it is quiet on here. Sherry Ann, did you get lost in Yellowstone???? I am hoping to go to Glacier before too long. I’m thinking of flying to Chicago and taking the train. We have a quick one stop flight to Chicago. My bil did that and said the train was awesome…..

So, I’m keeping on keeping on. Right now I’m still sorting out exactly what I want to do. I have two weeks left before my husband and daughter return. I’ve done well avoiding sugar and gluten and not eating until the afternoon. I don’t think I’ve kept to 500 calories, but not too far off. I went to yoga for the first time this year. Wow! Hard to believe. It was great. I wonder how much I’ll feel it tomorrow?

I’ve also managed to go through a huge bin where we threw all our detritus from the old kitchen. So I get to click that off the list! I’ve done the top shelf of my side of the closet. I was relatively ruthless for me. I doubt I’ll accomplish everything I want to but I’m making progress at least…..

Good luck to anyone out there fasting today!!!!

Hi Carolina, I’m still
    Around. Maybe sherri’s out of wifi range? Or…hopefully having too much fun!!
    You must miss your husband and daughter very much but maybe some time alone is nice too? My husband and son go camping for a few days every year and that’s my “vacation”, I take time off work, nap, watch Netflix and don’t cook for three or four days. I also get lots of organizing done around the house. This year they’re going to Ottawa and I am kinda jealous bc I’d like to go but not enough to give up my time alone.
    Today was a fast day – found it relatively easy and am hoping to see a difference on the scale. Was pleased when I tried on some clothes this evening and they’re too big now. But now I hand to buy a couple of skirts or dresses for special occasions. I can’t wait to wear dresses. Used to wear a lot of summer dresses and totally stopped after gaining weight. But I am hoping to find one or two that suit my figure and are comfy and flattering. It’s hard when you’re short and over weight. You just look “dumpy” if you’re not careful.
    Hope everyone is well!

OK so far managed to stay in the 65+ kg range for a few days now. Busy week at work so not enough gym days, but still feel good. Happy weekend all!

Today 23 June
    Weight: 65.7 kg

16 June
    Weight: 65.9 kg

9 June

Hi, Sue and Esthi!!

Sue, I struggle with looking dumpy, too, although I think dresses work better for me than some pants. I like winter clothes better. I think it’s totally unfair that younger people with a little extra weight look better than the same weight on an older person, haha. They can still pull things off because it’s not all droopy and vein-y and jiggly!!!

Esthi, congrats on the progress and wow on the trip! My daughter and husband are in Paris right now and will then go to Provence and then Barcelona. They started off in the Netherlands, which is more familiar. Paris was a little intimidating because it was crowded, there was a festival going on and they are having a heat wave. But now they are having fun. I forgot–are you in the UK? It would be amazing to be able to visit such different cultures without crossing the ocean! I hate that flight….

I feel the yoga in my arms, which is interesting. I’ve been eating just once a day pretty much, but not always a fast day. What is interesting is that I feel really full after a normal meal, almost as if I’ve overeaten. For me personally I find that eating throughout the day makes me hungrier…and I can eat more! Last night, for example, I had what we call broccolini, a smallish baked potato and two eggs and I was very full. Normally I could have had more, haha. The potato was a little slip, though. I’m trying to be low carb this whole time, but obviously I messed up. Still, I haven’t had any sugar or gluten for several days now.

Good luck over the weekend, everyone!!!!

Hi all,

So I mentioned that I started working with a trainer at the gym. I went once day without her and managed to wrench my rotator cuff in my left arm. Argh. I’ve been icing it for 1.5 weeks. It is getting better, but I still can’t lift my arm all the way up. Really frustrating since I was feeling so proud of myself! After a couple days off, I have returned to the gym and my trainer is doing lower body workouts only. Mid-50’s, sigh. πŸ™‚

All the talk of travel and stay-at-home vacations is wonderful. Summer is great. I’m off to Philadelphia for the weekend. I’ll keep calories in check and will walk a lot. Monday will be a fast day.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Ali

Ali, so sorry about your arm! But awesome for forging ahead anyway! Hope Philly is great! My son is in college in Pittsburgh but I don’t think he’s been to Philly. My husband and I used to live in Delaware many moons ago and we would sometimes go to the historical sites.

I’m a little frustrated this morning because after almost a week of doing well I’ve only lost a couple pounds!!! I know exercise can play a role so I’m trying to ignore it. Also I had something high sodium yesterday and I know from experience I often have a lag before my effort shows up. Still it would be so awesome to get that reward for my brain, haha.

But I’m not giving up. I’ll keep popping on to bore everyone with the details!!

Hi all!

I have been out of range for Internet service in the national parks for many days hence the reason I’ve been MIA. Letting u kno real quick while I’m in range! Talk more as I’m able’!
    Sherry

Hi Carolina, it’s frustrating when we don’t lose as much as we’d like when we’re working hard to be “good”. I’m a slow loser, 1/2 to 1 lb them maybe no loss or incremental loss for a week or two. As long as I’m not gaining and it’s heading downwards I’m ok. I don’t really exercise other than yoga. One class is more athletic, one is “yin” yoga so more stretching and holding the poses not really poses that are strength based. Yoga is a great practice for weight bearing which is good for our bones as we get into our 50s. My work at a library is moderately active I don’t sit all day and often I’m lifting and moving boxes and library carts etc. This is the only plan that’s worked for me and this is the most weight at a 20lb loss that I’ve lost in years. Since before my son and he’s 14. Never had an issue with my weight until I had him. So keep on I do think it works if you stick to it as much as you can. My issue is eating out often once a week. But I’m strict on my fast days to make up for it. I’m happy my clothes are lose and I’m fitting into smaller sizes every time I shop.
    Sherri, I thought you might be out of range!! Keep enjoying your trip – what an amazing experience!
    My son graduates from grade 8 tomorrow so that means dinner out after I had lunch out today but I’ll get my fast days in Tuesday and Wednesday!
    Hope all are well, Sue

Hey!

Sherry! Glad you’re having fun. I look forward to your trip report.

Sue, your experience is much the same as mine except I’ve had several extended slip-ups in the 5:2 journey!! What’s unusual now is that I’m much more focused than I normally am with my family gone and I really expected more. I’m hoping it’s because I stepped up the exercise even though it’s still pretty low level. I’m walking most days, I do two minutes of HIT by running up and down the stairs and I do low level weights. I also did yoga last week and hope to again this week. My daughter is 13, a year behind your son. Is he an only? I also have a 21 year old who is in California this summer!

Tomorrow I’m walking with friends morning and evening. Tuesday I’m meeting a friend for lunch about an hour from here. I hope I don’t blow it–I’m planning to avoid carbs and sugar anyway. Wednesday I work in the office. I’m getting a lot of things under control around the house, which is what I wanted to do while I’m alone. My son left bags of stuff from his college apartment and I was bad and went through them. The clothes were not washed, so I’m glad I did. Actually, some of them may have been washed but they were all mixed together and it was pretty disgusting. There were some of his girlfriend’s clothes, too, haha. I would not generally go through his stuff but he is borderline autistic (but academically gifted) and his organizational skills are legitimately delayed so I feel it’s warranted. Also, since he’s moved himself in and out on his own for the past couple of years and he went to a science boarding school when he was 16, it gives me some gratification to take care of him. I don’t know if that makes sense. Anyway, that’s one project and I’ve been doing various other things, too. It’s nice but it does get old after a while….

Let’s all have an awesome week! Elizabeth

Hi! Back again! Since I last was on we visited Yellowstone and Glacier national parks- I’d been to Yellowstone 3 years ago but this was my first time to Glacier. Both are beautiful but Glacier is undoubtedly the most beautiful park I’ve seen! Just gorgeous! We did a lot of hiking & sightseeing there. Lots of snow still on the ground in both parks. Whoops! Losing internet again!

Hi all, been busy here in cold and damp Melbourne. It is winter so can’t complain and then have one week to wait before going to Far North Queensland where it’s a whole lot warmer ahhh.
    FD today, still maintaining which is good, really would like to lose a couple more kilos but too many family functions/dinners at the moment.
    Sounds like your trip has been amazing SherryAnn.
    Elizabeth you sound like you have been busy too whilst the family are away. I tend to do the same sort of things when my husband is traveling for the church. I still have one child age 29 ! living here. He does his own washing but I still cook and clean for him. I don’t mind as I’m not working outside the home other than my volunteering in a charity shop. Soon enough he will be gone and we will be back to empty nesters. We had two years a few years back. We got used to it really fast haha
    My visitors from the USA leave for home on Wednesday, so I will get my house back yay. Although it has been lovely to have them, they are great house guests. It’s our nieces 18th birthday today so we are having a celebration dinner with all the family tomorrow night 26 of us !!! Trying to work out a seating plan at the moment. Although from what I understand 18 is not a particularly important Birthday like it is here in Australia. On your 18th you can legally drive, vote and drink alcohol. Hmmm think the US has a better way!!
    Anyway keep swimming girls,
    Love to all
    Tilly xx

Hello again!

Sherryann, I had heard similar things about Glacier! Plus I’ve heard it’s not quite as crowded. Safe travels!!

Tilly, 18 is a huge birthday in the US but it is true that legal milestones are separate–they drive around 16 depending on the state and they can’t drink legally until 21.

I’m still swimming with virtually no progress on the scales; however I may be noticing a little less flab. Today I walked with one friend this morning and will walk with another this evening. I’ve washed all my sons clothes and am now sorting them to pack back up! I learned he will only be here briefly before driving back to PA, so there is some hope he will arrive with them still in order and clean. He has too many clothes and I’d love to cull them but I know I’d toss something he liked!!!

My husband and daughter are having a fabulous time in a medieval village in Provence, staying next to a lavender farm!!!!!

Here we go again ladies! Back on a highway where there’s 3 bars available on my cell! My husband just notified me we’ve thus far travelled 6,800 miles and have another 1,000 to go before get home in a few days. We’re heading to Nevada City, California today after we visit Klamath Falls here in Oregon. We visited Mount Ranier in Washington a few days ago and Crater Lake here in Oregon yesterday (LOTS of snow too!).

Forgot to mention that from Glacier park in Montana we drove to upper Washington state to stay with some friends from California who recently bought a beautiful cabin there. The cabin was right on a rushing river- just beautiful! These friends have kids too so that was nice in terms of keeping the kids happily occupied. My hubby & I and our oldest daughter slept in our motor home in their driveway and the younger 3 slept in the cabin with their friends. While we had a good time, the eating situation was less than ideal. The first day we arrived around 7pm and my friend made chicken and salad for dinner ( yay! Healthy!) but then it went downhill from there! The next morning she made pancakes & bacon ( I can’t say no to that πŸ˜‰!) and then took us girls antiquing and we went to lunch ( salad but had to eat the yummy bread too!) in a town 30 minutes away. Then, because it was my birthday ( how did 54 come so quick!?!), we adults went out to a big Italian dinner complete with pasta & tiramisu. If you thought that was the worst of it, you’d be wrong– went to lunch the next day at a bakery where I had a sandwich & fries 🍟 and baked goodies 🍩 The next morning before leaving we returned to the bakery ( there aren’t many food options in that little town) and I ate French toast, bacon and took a gooey apple cinnamon muffin to go! 😳 I definitely went on a crazy sugar binge the likes of which I hadn’t experienced since Christmas time! So there you go- you lucky girls are the recipients of my sugar obsessed confession ! I have been doing some hiking so it could be worse but we all know a little exercise doesn’t make up for days of sugar binging! Onward and hopefully downward with the weight. I was good yesterday so that’s a start. We leave for Hawaii on 7/7 so I’ve got to kick my efforts into high gear here!

Esther congrats on your new low on the scale! A great accomplishment!

Elizabeth, I think 2 lbs lost in a week is great!!!! You should be proud! It is easier to focus on eating well when you only have you to worry about! I hope your husband & daughter are having a great time abroad!

Tilly, I’m happy you’re getting your house back after having visitors for a while! We were with our friends for 2 1/2 days and I think that was about right- you know the old saying ” fish and company stink after 3 days”? Lol! πŸ˜‚ Re: the roughing it discussion in a prior post, I meant there might not be full sewer/electricity/water hookups where we were headed ( luckily there were full hook ups) We have a motorhome so we can last about 2 days if we have to without the hook ups. Have fun on your camping trip to the warmer area!

Hey Ali, great job maintaining while traveling! So sorry about your rotator cuff! IDoes a tear require surgery to repair? If not, I wonder if taping the area with athletic tape would help? I tell you my “KT” tape ( bought off Amazon) has been a lifesaver for me when I I injure myself. Just a few days ago while hiking in Glacier park, I slid down a hill and hurt my ankle to where it was swollen & throbbing badly- I iced it every 15 minutes for a couple hours, put some arnica gel on it and taped it for 2 days & all is well thank God!

Sue congrats on your son’s graduation! And congrats on the 20lbs lost!

Hi & welcome to the new gals, Bersabe & Rajula! Best of luck to you both!

Hey Lori! Where are you girl? Please pop in & let us know how you’re doing & about that online class you’re taking!

Sorry about the long post ( it’s been a while !) & any typos from bumping down the winding roads!

😘 Sherry

Blerg! Still no progress on the scale. Yesterday I walked twice and did hand weights and two minutes of HIT. I’m telling myself that’s why, haha. Shaping this flab up can cause temporary lack of progress. I’m trying to stick with the plan.

Today I’m going out to eat for the first time since my family left. That will be a challenge but I’ll do my best. I’m not going to have carbs, which should help.

Hi!

On our way home finally- a 12 hr drive! My poor hubby!

Had a nice time the last few days checking out Nevada City, CA- an old town that was built up at the height of the gold rush days. Lots of old Victorian architecture. Very hippy-ish town.

Hey Elizabeth, listen to Tilly & just keep swimming! Your body’s got to respond sooner or later! Stay the course and don’t let it get you down! I know, easier said than done!

I don’t think I’m going to weigh when I get home (& no, I didn’t break out my scale this trip despite my good intentions!). I’m just going to immediately do a 4 day cleanse right before we have our 4th of July celebration & then leave for Hawaii shortly thereafter. Hoping for the best! 😬

Whew! Going through the hot desert and an area called ” the Grapevine”- a long, winding steep grade of road that always freaks me out because of the potential to overheat your vehicle due to the stress of the grade!

Talk to you later! 😘

Sherry, I hope you survived the drive. Was the trip what you expected? Did the kids mind all the driving?

I’m still hanging in there!!! I went back to yoga today and did my 2 mins of HIT. I’ve also been walking a lot.

I finally saw a teensy bit of progress on the scale. I’ll take anything, haha.

My lunch out with my friend was amazing! And it didn’t really set me back. We went to a Persian restaurant and I had a kabob on a salad. I did break my no gluten rule b/c they offered pita bits with mint, goat cheese and radish as an appetizer.

I have less than a week until my husband and daughter get home so I’m trying to prioritize. I also have some “real work” to do updating some of our company’s online stuff…..

Good luck to everyone fasting today!!

Hi all,

Home and doing the piles of laundry all day as well as unloading the motorhome. I don’t mind (I’m used to it after camping trips), but it’s just a lot to do in a short amount of time since we’re leaving next week for Hawaii.

Hey Elizabeth, all survived the drive. The kids definitely had their moments of melt down with each other, especially since, unlike normal trips, there were a lot of 8 or more hour driving days. We had to cover a lot of ground in that month so it couldn’t be avoided. Thankfully and sadly, we had electronics to keep them busy when the going got tough! It was a GREAT trip despite that. It was especially great to see the kids connect with my hubby’s relatives whom they’d never met before and see where he grew up. My eldest daughter had been there last when she was 5 so she remembered it. Also, the scenery was just awesome, especially, as I noted, in Glacier national park.

So, I fully intended on doing my typical bone broth cleanse right away, but that would entail a lot of shopping, prepping and cooking. I don’t have the time nor the inclination right now so I’m just doing a normal 500 cal fast today and tomorrow. We are taking the kids to our county fair on Sunday too so that kinda blew the idea of doing the 4 day cleanse. Then, soon after is the Fourth of July, which will be celebrated at my home. So, I’ve decided to be kind to myself and not stress out and just fast as best I can in between events!

I hope you’re all doing well and hope to hear from you all soon! πŸ™‚

Cheers!

Sherry

Hi ladies!!

can I jump back in, even though I have actually passed the big 60, must say I don’t feel a day over 59.

I see a lot of old friends, is Salma still here, I do hope so! I hear Ginette is temporarily absent, she will be a miss, will say hello to my old friends when I have caught up a little on the thread.

Just couldn’t do it for a very long time, but my missing gall bladder if finally not so missed, of course put on weight but still around 8kg off my starting weight and setting 8kg as my target. Looking forward to hearing that there is a lot less of many of you!

Milena x

Milena!!!!!!!! Hi!!! So good to see you again! I don’t often post here, but pop in once in awhile to see what’s up. I look forward to reading about what you’ve been up to.

Sherry…you world traveler you! I don’t know how you do it. I have enough trouble packing for just the husband and myself, let alone 4 kids! You are wonder woman!
    Hope you have time for some good relaxing in Hawaii.

In other news….I enter my weight on an App on my phone and this past Saturday, on the graph, I dropped into the “Normal” range. Not “Obese”, not “Overweight”, but “Normal”!! I know it has been at least 20 years since my weight has been classified as “Normal”.

I’ve found my niche. The Keto way of eating along with Intermittent Fasting. I do 16:8 most days. 16 hours of fasting and an 8 hour eating window.

Hope you all are well.

Hi Lori and well done – oh to be ‘normal’ – no way I would be classed as normal except for, hopefully, weight one day – I don’t even know what ‘normal’ would be – I shall check it out!

Glad you are here!

M

Hi all,

A belated happy Independence day (4th of July) to the U.S. gals! We had family over to BBQ and then went to watch the fireworks.

Good to see you back Milena!

Lori, happy your new way of eating is working so well! Yay for normal! πŸ˜‰ How many grams of carbs a day are you able to eat with the keto plan?

How are all you other quiet girls doing?

I’ll be leaving on Friday for Hawaii and fear I won’t be able to chat with you all as much while gone. When you’re stuck in a 2 bedroom condominium wit 5 kids (we’re bringing a friend for my son so he doesn’t fight with the 3 girls as much!), you need to get up and out ASAP with a plan for the day or they end up eating each other alive! I’ll try my best to pop in as time permits!

Good luck to all this next month!

Hugs!

Sherry

Hi all, I”m new to 5:2 and planning to jump in with a fast day tomorrow. I started with this group, since I like the idea of starting out with others of a similar age, but will ‘tour’ some other posts to help get myself ready for tomorrow. I probably should have planned ahead better, but I will just have to muddle through this time and try to be better prepared next time.

Sherry…keto is 20 grams of carbs or less per day. I don’t strictly count anymore, but if I stick to most of my carbs coming from veggies, and limit them, I stay less than the 20 grams. Safe travels!

Hi all

Lori, it will be a while before I get to normal weight, but I think if I get to my current target I’ll do that as my next – been trying keto, I can do it for a while but get a little bored sometimes.

Trillian, I think it took me about three weeks to get into the swing when I first started, certainly lost nothing for a while – and I think I am in the same place at the moment, having just restarted – had a good Monday fast, and I have had such a fanny around Tuesday and Wednesday – porridge (or porage – the Scottish spelling) sent me off to the loo yesterday, first time for a couple of weeks, had some this morning, ok so far Had fish and veggies last night – but why did I put pasta on the table? Think I stayed under my 1600. 5:2 is pointless if you overeat on all of the other days, but quite forgiving if you do so only once or twice a week. That way you can work such things as your hubby suddenly announcing taking you away for the weekend – as mine has just done. Wedding Anniversary Saturday so off tomorrow apparently!

My advice is to get a handle on the 600 calorie days, forgive yourself if you don’t make it because it is weird at first but it does get easier. The desire to eat your arm off at nine pm and to get up at 5am cos its the next day and you are starving, after a while goes and after a fast day you find yourself sauntering to the kitchen instead of outdoing Usain Bolt. Heck you might even find yourself contemplating a second fast day! I always find a pile of oven roasted veggies more filling than the same veggies stir fried – more on the plate too. Good luck.

Have a good day all you fasters, I’m off out for a coffee with Willie, it will be green tea for me (I hate green tea but it is supposed to be good for me and I can’t afford the calories in a latte and can’t drink black coffee!) Latte tomorrow though!

Hi Sherry, so please to ‘see’ you again!

milena x

Hi everyone! Newish fast dieter here. Started on the Fast Diet on my doctor’s recommendation on 30 May 2017. My first target is to lose a stone (14 pounds). Once I get there I’ll set myself a new target. So far so good. I’ve lost a total of 12 pounds in 5 weeks, fast dieting on 500 cal or less, on Tuesdays and Fridays. I have tested the diet to destruction -really! On non fast days I have whatever I fancy; biscuits, ice cream, chocolate etc and have still lost weight. Best diet I’ve ever tried. And I haven’t started extra exercises either. I have an arthritic knee which prevents me from high impact exercises like jogging. Any advice on weight plateaus? My weight loss has slowed of late (although not stopped). Does increasing water intake help? Sometimes I find that if my weight has “stuck” I just wait a couple of days and re-weigh myself. Usually I find I get a better result the second time around. Wish me luck in reaching my target of 154 pounds!

Hello!

Nailseabelle….sounds like you’re off to an awesome start! Don’t worry too much about the scale…just keep going.

I’m down another pound or 2….getting close to goal now, so I’m sure the losses(if any) will be few and far between.

Milena…how is it going? So glad that you popped back in here.

Take care everyone!

Hi Nail:

Many people start by losing weight fast and then finding their weight loss slows. It is not a plateau – it is just because you lose water weight first, then the slower fat weight loss comes along.

Just keep on the diet. The average weight loss over time is about one pound a week. You have lost 12 pounds in five weeks. So you can expect to have a few weeks now where you don’t lose anything, or you might even gain a pound.

Don’t worry! It is not a ‘plateau’. Just stay on the diet and you will keep on losing.

Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

I would be so happy if I lost 12 pounds in 5 weeks – this is Day One for me and I’m taking inspiration from you other 50 somethings…as I’ve hit 50 the weight seems to stick to me like glue! I always dismissed the 5 – 2 as a bandwagon I wouldn’t be jumping on but it really sounds like it could work…

Hi all! To anyone discouraged or a newbie, this is the ONLY plan that has ever worked for me long term with the most weight loss and definitely the easiest to maintain. When you explain it to someone they look skeptical but then I tell them I’ve lost over 20lbs. That’s in the past 10 months, so not speedy by any means, but on someone only 5 feet tall that’s significant. And, it’s allowed me to be on vacation and celebrate holidays etc.

The biggest thing to be aware of is NOT overeating or having a free for all on food on your non-fast days. That can slow down or stop weight loss or even lead to a gain. I do 2 days of 500 (approx) calories and the other days I eat “normally” which can sometimes include dining out or snacks, but I try to not go too crazy. I do try to avoid sugar in all forms and also non-veggie carbs.

I often have weeks where I don’t lose but I don’t get too discouraged because I can usually attribute it to snacking too much or having a few larger meals that particular week.

Sherri are you still away? Lori, Atkins was the only other weight loss plan that worked for me, but I couldn’t sustain it for very long and became too obsessive over carbs, even now I kinda panic when I eat potatoes or bread. I think keto is a much healthier way of life.

Best of luck! I’ve only been at this for 6 weeks so it’s still early days. I have found this diet to be way more suited to my lifestyle than other diets, and psychologically better for me than dieting every day (as with normal diets). Yes I have had a good start but I am informed that it’s not a quick way of losing weight. This doesn’t worry me as I’m in no hurry. I have until this time next year to reach my target so no biggie if some weeks I don’t actually “lose” anything! I would advise you to measure yourself as suggested because you may show no weight loss on the scales but lose inches instead. Don’t panic and have patience!!

Hello Ladies
    sorry about not writing but could not find my password and all my emails from this site and reset
    password where going to yunk mail,until I had a look and found it.
    well it is nearly four weeks (minus one day) since I have started the fast diet and so far I have lost
    nearly 3kg. I still can’t believe it ,it didn’t feel so hard just some evenings. the last 800grams took for ever it felt that for a week and a bit I was not loosing any weight and then it just went.
    I have one day to go this week and after that I will take my measure again ,I think I will do it every 4 weeks. I agree with the others it is the only diet that I can do and not feel deprived,but don’t over eat
    on my other days ( well I do sometimes) but try to be grateful that I can eat more them on the fast days. I must say that I feel better with in myself and can wear jeans that where too tight before.
    keep going lady I can read some great results. GOOD WISHES
    Isabel

Hi all

A quick pop in to say hello! I’ve been in Hawaii a week now. Having a nice time. While it’s been a bit extra work having two friends of my kids with us, it’s also helped in that they’ve been more entertained & less irritating! 😬 My eldest daughter’s girlfriend leaves tomorrow but I’ve got my son’s friend the whole month.

I was moderately depressed when we arrived here due to feeling very chubby from the endless sitting fir hours on many legs of our cross country camping trip plus too much eating out. Even though it wasn’t easy to do while on vacation, I decided I desperately needed to go a bone broth cleanse. Instead of going the homemade route I just bought premade, which, while not very good, did the trick. So I’m finishing up day 4 today and will be glad to get back to more normal eating tomorrow. I still feel chubby, but at least less so! I’m amazed at how quick I can put it back on-and I’ve been pretty much maintaining my loss for a year now! Ugh!

Bersabe & Nailseabelle ( boy those names are tricky!), congrats on your losses! Great job!

Sue, gave you reached goal with your 20 lb loss? You e done so well also!

Good luck to Sally, our newest member! 😊

Lori, I didn’t realize you had gotten to goal so quickly! Congrats! Sounds like you’ve really found a plan that works for you by incorporating keto!

Ok, time to get the kids off the beach and home/into showers do I can make dinner. Tomorrow we’re off to volunteer as a family at a summer camp for homeless middle & high school students that our manager of our office put here ru s through her church .

Aloha! 🌴🌺

Viewing 50 posts - 4,701 through 4,750 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.