Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,651 through 4,700 (of 5,077 total)

• Good Morning!

Sorry I’ve been MIA. Still plugging along with my LCHF plan and doing ok. Not losing, but not gaining either. Working on incorporating a couple of FD’s into my plan.

Sherry……I have heard that the ratio between your Triglycerides and HDL is the number to focus on. Less than 2 is ideal, more than 4 is too high. At my last test, my Trig were 45 and my HDL 100+ That makes my ratio .45 which is really good. If you google Trig to HDL ratio, you can read about the science. I’m going for new blood work this week…hoping my numbers are still good.

Interesting that your body seems to have a weight that it likes. I sure have found that to be the case for me. Unfortunately, this weight is about 20 lbs more than I’d like it to be!

A week from today I’ll be going to my sister’s and we’ll leave Monday for 5 days in Virginia Beach. We have been having such terrible, rainy, cold weather, that we are more than ready for some sun. Sure hope it’s sunny & warm the week we are there. I haven’t been able to get out golfing for the past week due to the weather. It’s getting quite depressing. Too much time sitting…..ugh!

Hope you’re all having a good weekend.

Hello. I haven’t posted on this thread for a while but thought I’d catch up. I’m getting on well, following 5:2 some weeks and 4:3 others and have also upped my exercise (mostly cycling and lots of gardening).

I’ve lost 5.1kg (just over 11lb) in 7 weeks so am happy with progress so far. I still have a long way to go, probably another 16kg.

Sherry, Have you tried the Thai veg soup recipe yet?

I did a FD yesterday so am looking forward to eating a bit more today! Good luck this week, everyone.

Hello from Shanghai,

I am 53 this year, originally from Malaysia / Singapore but have been living in Shanghai these past 13 years. Both my parents have diabetes, mum has high blood pressure and dad battles gout. I managed to evade the bullets till last month when the medical check flagged a high glucose (only had gestational diabetes when i was pregnant with my daughter 13 years ago), slightly elevated cholesterol and high uric acid. YIKES!!!

After doing lots of research, I stumbled across the BBC documentary and here I am. Started the Fast Diet plan on April 28th. I am happy to see a drop in weight from 70 kg to 69 kg, waist has slimmed a bit and my fasting sugar is slowly coming down. We eat healthy at home as hubby is a French chef who is into the healthy Mediterranean diet. But getting the weight off the waist is a big challenge considering I have 2 bum knees so I do mostly elliptical and stationary bikes at the gym.

So far I have a good feeling with this plan although like many people, I know there will be days and weeks where it seems an uphill climb. I like the sound logic and rationale behind this philosophy, it makes sense to me so I will be more inclined to make this into a lifestyle.

Looking forward to hearing your experiences and suggestions. Taking it one day at a time.

esther

Welcome Esther! I think you’ll find this group is very friendly and supportive. It has kept me trying even though I’ve stumbled a lot!!

Cosett

Thanks Cosett.

@firmandfruity – Can you share the Thai veg soup recipe please? I love Thai food.

Good evening ladies,

Lori, thanks for the info. I haven’t received the full lab report yet from the doc. They just called to highlight that the HDL is great (99), LDL bad (166) and mentioned triglycerides were “good” but didn’t give me the number. I have to get all the info sent to me before I go back in for a follow up.

Our cold drizzly weather hasn’t let up yet. Sounds like Spring is hasn’t really “sprung” yet in most parts this year! It’s depressing which doesn’t help the eating for me. Was going to do a bone broth cleanse this week but forgot I had a field trip today that was going to take me out of the broth eating loop all day (plus there was a Mexican lunch included!) and tomorrow I will be at the kids’ school a good part of the morning and afternoon serving food to the teachers for teacher appreciation day. I’m also sick, battling this cold I caught on that darn state capitol trip last week. You’d think the broth would be good for a cold, but the detox aspect of it can make you a bit weaker as you release toxins so I don’t think it’s the best idea right now. I’ll try it after Mother’s Day. Boy am I complaining, huh? πŸ˜‰

Firm, no, I didn’t try the recipe! I copied it and then must have misplaced it! Can you please provide it again since Esther also would like it? I’d appreciate it!

Cosette, I’m curious…I see you sign your name many different ways! Is it with an “e” on the end or not?

Welcome Esther! Best luck to you on this plan. I’m 53 too (soon to be 54) and have a 16 year old daughter, 11 year old son and twin 10 year old girls. I’m sort of at goal but extremely challenged at staying there lately (as you can tell!).

Time to shower and bed!

Sherry

Hi all from sunny Melbourne, we have put on a beautiful autumnal day today. I have opened doors and windows to let the fresh air through. Busy cleaning and rearranging furniture today although I did manage a gym visit this morning.
    Esther I am also 53, turning 54 in November. Although my ‘children’ are a little older. Our youngest is 26 and she is married to a lovely young man. Our middle child is 29 and still living with us for the moment and our eldest son who is 32 and his wife live around 15 minutes away. I have a friend who lived in Shanghai for a couple of years when her husband was posted there with work. She loved it. And my daughter in law is from Singapore although her family are originally from China.
    5:2 still progressing although I’m still stuck. Don’t know what else to do. My FDs are within the 500 cal and my non fast days are under my tdi so not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions would be welcome. Unless I just stop eating altogether lol !!! Physically I am unable to increase my exercise because of the MS so ????
    Going out for dinner tonight with friends hoping to find some 5:2 friendly options.
    Keep swimming girls
    Love Tilly xx

Good morning! Getting ready to head out for a quick walk before I go to school to serve the teachers lunch for teacher appreciation day.

Tilly, I just had to comment because I know you’re experiencing frustration. I don’t know if this has any bearing on what you’re experiencing, but my daughter who is a Type 1 diabetic has some weight issues and high cholesterol (obviously it’s hereditary given my results). I don’t think she eats much so we’re trying to figure it out. I took her to a naturopath recently who said many people with autoimmune disorders have issues with gut health and possibly leaky gut which can affect digestion. She also suspects my daughter may have some food allergies which could also impact her weight as the body produces inflammation to deal with the “bad” food. Anyhow, she’s given her a detox formula to drink each day and has tested her for food allergies (we get the results next week). I don’t know if this will help but just wanted to throw it out there as something to think about! Good luck!

Despite the Mexican foo fest yesterday for lunch which may or may not have included a few too many tortilla chips and salsa πŸ˜‰ , I’m feeling a tad lighter today as I just kept dinner small…some roasted brussels sprouts and berries for dessert.

Have a great day ladies!

Sherry

OK, here is the recipe for Sherryann and Esthi (and anyone else, of course)

1000 g, butternut squash, raw cut into 3cm cubes
    200 g, Onions, raw
    5 ml Coconut Oil
    500 g, Celeriac, raw, cut into 4cm cubes

200 gram, Carrots, sliced
    32 g, Thai Red Curry Paste
    237 millilitres Reduced Fat Coconut Milk
    200 g, Red Split Lentils
    1 vegetarian stock cube
    2 litres water

Fry the onions and carrots in the coconut oil for about 5 minutes to soften.
    Add all the other ingredients.
    Bring to the boil, then simmer until the squash is cooked (about 25 minutes)
    Whizz with a hand blender and add salt and pepper if you wish.

It makes 12 portions. I freeze this in portions x2.

116 calories per portion.

It’s very tasty and filling. Great for a FD with some cooked chicken or fish and some extra veg such as green beans or broccoli.

I hope you like it. I invented last year when we produced 42 big butternut squash! I find it really good for a FD meal, especially if I’m feeling cold.

Hi All,
    Tilly, getting stuck is NO fun, I’ve been there when you’re doing everything right and still not really losing. And, if you’re limited in terms of exercising bc of your MS, that’s even more frustrating. I like your expression “just keep swimming”, it’s such a silly little phrase, but can cheer me up when I need it. I’ve been kinda stuck too but not gaining either and I know it’s because I’m eating too much on my regular days. I just keep on it.
    At least the sun has shown up after several days of rain last week, nice to see some spring and see the trees in bloom!
    Have a good night all,
    Sue

Hi there,
    Thanks for the encouragement all. Sherry I had a friend tell me about the possibility of gut health and autoimmune. She is undertaking all the testing for coeliac at the moment. I have had allergy testing done before and I know what my triggers are for allergic reactions. But worthwhile looking at.
    Sue the ‘Just keep swimming’ line comes from the Pixar movie Finding Nemo. But I thought it was appropriate to our journey 😁
    Love to all
    Tilly xx

Hi!

Thanks Firm for supplying the recipe again. I promise to try it soon and report back! πŸ™‚

You’re welcome Tilly! I sure hope you figure it out, but know at this age many of us, myself included, lose painfully slow. Just to not be gaining is a victory in and of itself I think. Btw, I think of Dorey saying that line every time you write it. It is helpful! πŸ™‚

Well, I have to get to lots of little home projects before I go to the kids’ school to volunteer for library day (it’s one of those weeks at the school…I might as well just put up a tent and live there for the week as much as I am there!).

Hi to all you other weight loss buddies out there! πŸ™‚

Sherry

So I just ended week 2 and am happy with the results.

Start date: 28 April
    Weight: 70 kg
    Waist at belly: 94cm

Today: 12 May
    Weight: 68 kg (my target was 68.5kg)
    Waist: 89cm

Don’t seem to have lost that much weight but most of it seems to be from the belly which is now noticeably flatter. Yay!!

Next target: 25 May
    Weight: 64.5 kg
    Waist: 85cm

Working hard on getting everything down before we head off to France and Bali for the summer. Luckily it has not been too difficult. I guess when something makes sense, the mind finds it easier to get through it. Especially during those gym sessions!

Had my medical check up today, waiting to see if the high numbers in Uric acid, HbA1C from my last check in March have improved. Mild fatty liver still there… πŸ™ Body fat still high so the goal for the next few weeks, drop weight, drop the belly and stabilize everything else and reverse some of the negative results. Wish me luck!

Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend.
    Esther

Hi everyone,

Sherry – Coesett is my middle name; my full name is Allison Coesett. The spelling actually cracks me up because the correct French spelling is Cosette, but my great-grandparents gave my grandmother the spelling Coesett. I wanted to use it in her memory, but I keep misspelling my own name when I’m typing!! πŸ™‚

I think I’ll switch over to my actual nickname, which is Ali (pronounced Alley). That way I won’t confuse myself. (Sorry, Grandma)

So everyone: Coesett = Ali!

Esthi – you are an inspiration! I’m going to use your tracking method to try to keep my motivation up! I have two reasons to be motivated: in September I’m traveling back to CA to marry my nephew and his fiance. So excited! And we’re traveling to St. Thomas for Thanksgiving. I’d like to feel comfortable in my skin by then since so much of it will be exposed!

So, I guess tomorrow I jump on the scale, take a couple measurements and prepare for a FD on Monday.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Ali

Hi Everyone,
    Well a friend has just started the 5:2 fast diet and has lost nearly 1/2 stone so far. I normally do another well known diet, but haven’t had the motivation to get going with it again, after falling off SO many times, so I thought I’d give this one a try.
    Look forward to getting to know you all and motivating each other xx

Happy Weekend girls!

A happy Mother’s Day tomorrow to all you moms out there as well. I know it’s celebrated on various days in various places, but happy mom’s day whether you are from the U.S. or not! πŸ™‚ We are going out to eat an early lunch. My large extended family will come so it’s always an “interesting” experience to go to a restaurant with that giant group! Generally it takes forever…oh well, I guess I should just feel blessed to have so much family around!

I’m on my second fast day of the week. Yesterday was fast #1 and I just decided to continue today since tomorrow is an eating out event. I will have a salad but I don’t think I can avoid the “Pizzookie”, a large chocolate chip cookie baked in and served warm in a mini skillet with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce on top. Yeesh! Maybe I’ll be semi-good and split it with my husband who is not as big a sweets fan.

Esther, great job on the loss of cm’s and kg’s! Yes, we all should do what you’re doing and take our measurements to stay motivated, especially when our scales aren’t giving us the numbers we want! Should we all post our numbers here to keep us honest and motivated? Wondering what you all think of that?Wishing you luck that the health numbers improve as well!

Hey Ali! The story of “Coesett” is funny! I was wondering what was up…I thought you just typed it fast and misspelled it a few times! So you are an ordained minister and are marrying your nephew and his fiancΓ©? And a trip to St. Thomas coming up this Fall! All great motivations to kick the weight loss efforts into high gear! How fun!

Hi Nik! Welcome to our little thread! Where are you located? UK or Australia I’m guessing? I think you’ll find this plan do-able and we are here to help with the encouragement!

Toodles for now!

Sherry

Thanks Sherryann and Ali. I decided to post my results and targets to push myself to be accountable to myself and hopefully you ladies in the group will help keep me focused.

After listening to Gretchen Rubin’s Better than Before book, I realize that I am an Obliger. I find it easy to meet expectations and promises of others but for my own expectations, not so good. I tend to give myself excuses not to do things or follow through on plans. So please help to keep me “honest”. πŸ™‚

Happy Mother’s Day to all mums. We are all awesome, its our day.

Hi all,

Here goes: 179 lbs (yikes!) and 38″ waist. Today is a FD. Those numbers are certainly motivating!!

Have a great Monday,

Ali

Happy start of the week ladies!

I’m here sipping my bowl of chicken bone broth and then will be off on my chilly (still unseasonably cold in San Diego!) morning walk.

I successfully finished two back to back fasts Friday and Saturday. I’m very proud of myself for my eating at Mother’s Day lunch. I had a large kale and chicken salad and then ate half the “pizzookie” chocolate chip cookie in the mini skillet with ice cream. Hubby ate other half to “help me out”! Earlier that day I’d had a 100 cal protein drink and a small pear. In the evening, I took a walk with my hubby and came back and had a good size slice of manchego cheese and some strawberries. I don’t feel bloated like usual when I’ve eaten out so that’s a success for me!

So today since I’m starting to feel less congested and more up to the challenge, I’ve started a 4 day tumeric, ginger & lemon tea, bone broth /protein/veggie/berries cleanse. I have to get more serious since we’ll be leaving soon for vacation.

Lori, I hope you’ll have a great time with your sister in Virginia Beach this week! I’m also hoping it’s a lot warmer there for you than at home! Check in if you get the chance!

Esther, we will do our best to keep you “honest”! How would you like to do that? Report back once a week or monthly on your progress with the numbers?

Good job Ali! We will help you stay honest too!

I’m going to weigh at the end of my 4 day cleanse and report back. I’m really going to need help staying honest on my trip so will try to stay in touch while gone!

Hi to Sue, Firm, and Tilly & anyone else out there I may have forgotten! Let’s have a good week!

Sherry

Hi All,

FD today – ate a lot on the weekend, meals out for Mother’s Day and also popcorn (couldn’t resist!) at the movies yesterday. I have been hovering around the same weight for several weeks , mostly bc I have been eating too much on my non-fast days by meals out or snacks at night. Hope to have a couple good weeks as I find once you start, the slide into “cheating” on my FDs is too easy. I had popcorn last Thursday night after being “good” all day. Hoping to get more motivated, but when I’m down, it’s harder to stay away from eating bc I’m bored or lonely etc.
    Being at work keeps me on track. Trying to plan overnight into Toronto for me and my 14 year old and being discouraged by the prices; I have the $$, but just seems like SO much $$ for one overnight…..I keep looking and looking and not actually making a decision. Finally decided and have left c-card at home! So, I don’t have the # to book it online…hoping the price is about the same by the time I get home and access the card. I don’t carry it bc I seldom use it and am afraid if it gets lost or stolen…
    Where are you off to, Sherry? Lori, I envy our Virginia Beach. With the exchange rate on our CDN dollar, a simple trip to the US becomes a very expensive endeavour, it’s very frustrating. I looked into Disney in FL and the trip itself, hotel, meals, park tix etc was “ok”, but when I tried flights, even flights from Buffalo, it added a crap load more $$ to the trip…so I postponed until 2018.
    Fast days for me Monday and Thursday this week!!
    Sue

I enjoy this Groups posts and I find I like to chat more than I realized. I’m also in the May Challenge weightloss group. I’d like to join this group if that is ok.
    I’m in my 50’s. I’m just getting over a broken Tibia bone at my knee. So I can walk, but can’t kneel, run or bend and pick things up yet. So fasting has helped me lose weight while I work my way to more activities that would be more fun.
    I’m going for a 5 day fast M T W Th Fri this week. If necessary BSD 800 on Wednesday.
    Sherryann I will be b2b fasting with you also. Our family has a Wedding of our nieces to go to, the first week in June. I’d like to lose more weight for that. Your cleanse sounds like it might work well.
    I started at 181 lbs on March 1, 2017 I’ve last weighed at 155.6 last Saturday May 13.5; so 25.6 lbs so far. My long term goal is 131 lbs. Not going to make it for June. But maybe by August.✨

✨Wishing everyone Good Luck this week!πŸ˜€

I fell off the posting wagon again!! The online class I was teaching ended last Wednesday. My son gets in tomorrow for a couple weeks before heading to California for the summer. So I was focused on those things. I was doing pretty good until this weekend. My daughter had her dance class over to watch Grease (their tap dance is to a medley from it) and make s’mores, etc. And there was pizze and the usual suspects and I wasn’t very good, haha!!!

Trying to make up for that this week.

Welcome everyone new!!! This does work better than anything else I’ve done.

Also, on the “set point” for weight…..I have also found that my body has one but it can be moved. I’ve heard that it takes several weeks at the new point for get established. I know my previous point was more than ten pounds higher …. that was six years ago. So that’s a tiny bit encouraging….

Sherry,my start day is Friday so that will be my weekly reporting day. Although i weigh myself daily but Friday stats will be the main measurements i keep.

Am in the middle of a 2-2 fast. Normal lunch yesterday, miso soup n small apple for dinner and small greek yogurt with blueberries n half teaspoon of peanut butter mixed in for breakfast.looking forward to a nice fresh salmon sashimi dinner tonight. Yummy

Hi all,

Monday was my FD, which was pretty successful! I’ve also started using the Lose It app to help count calories on my non FDs. If you’re looking for a tracking app, I’ve tried a few and like this one best.

We are plunging directly into summer the next couple of days (in the 90s with humidity! Yuck!) but the weekend will be lovely so we’re planning on a nice hike or long walk.

Tomorrow is my next opportunity for fasting success!

Hope you all have a great day.

Ali

Good Thursday evening ladies!

Tonight I complete my 4 day cleanse. It went well other than feeling a tad achy yesterday from detoxing. Today I’m good so only one day of feeling bad isn’t so bad! We will see the results tomorrow. I’m hoping to get back down under 120 where I was prior to the school trip. Fingers crossed! How are all you fasting ladies doing?

To those of you with teens still at home, do you ever want to send them to a boarding school? πŸ˜‰ I’m so “done” with my 16 year old daughter right now. So much attitude going on I could scream! Currently she’s protesting about doing her 15 hours of community service that’s required by her school each semester. It’s “only” 5% of her grade she says so why bother? Mind you, she doesn’t get the best grades already. So, I’m evil because I’m “forcing” her to pick up trash (with one of those claw like gizmos) in various areas because despite me warning her for weeks to find a volunteer opportunity she’d like to do, she did nothing. I also talked to the school librarian and arranged to have her help her do an end of the school year clean up of the library. They say it gets better once they hit their early 20’s? It can’t come too soon for us!

Hey Sue, did you get back on track with the eating this week? In answer to your question, we are doing a cross country motorhome trip to Michigan where my hubby grew up so the kids can see his home, area, etc. and experience things we don’t have in CA like blueberry picking, fire flies, etc. Hoping we don’t all kill each other (especially the teen!) on this month long get away! After that it’s to Hawaii for our usual work/play summer trip.

Hi Okeydokey and welcome! So sorry about your tibia! Wow! 5 days of fasting? You are very dedicated! Have you been doing the 5 days weekly since you started, because your weight loss is great!

Elizabeth, pizza and s’mores? YUM! I couldn’t resist either if I were you! How’d your week of eating end up going?

Esther, looking forward to hearing the latest measurement/weight stats tomorrow…keeping you honest πŸ˜‰ Hoping it’s good news! πŸ™‚

Hi Ali, how was fast day #2? I don’t like humidity either…our days are starting to warm up a bit but still very cool in the mornings and evenings.

Well, I think I’ll break the cleanse tomorrow with a 500 cal fast so as to ease back into normal eating slowly. Maybe I’ll be super ambitious and do another fast on Sunday (you know, vacations starting soon and all!)

Have a good night girls!

Sherry

Here is my weekly reporting.

Today: 19 May
    Weight: 67.4 kg
    Waist: 88cm
    Hips: 101cm

12 May
    Weight: 68 kg
    Hips: 103cm

Hips : 105cm

Slower week partly due to the Mothers Day weekend plus a crazy week at work. Managed to handle 2 Fast Days but only 2 gym days also. Hoping to make it up over the weekend but between boys football matches and birthday parties, will be “fun and games”. But, will persevere….:-)

Sorry Sherry, was in the midst of writing my post so missed yours. Thanks for the little nudge, this was a slightly difficult week mentally, heard some news at work that I was not expecting and it brought me down a bit. But…. life goes on.

I hear you about the teens at home, my daughter is 12 going 20 πŸ˜‰ and the boys are 11 and 10. I would say they are already behaving like teenagers especially the older two. Between homework, school activities – boys play football in the Shanghai schools league and my daughter takes zumba classes…plus hanging out with friends, birthday parties….hubby and I barely have time to breathe. But I am so lucky I am married to a wonderful man who is not only a Master Chef at work but he actually does all the cooking at home too!

Esther

Hi everyone!

Esther, great job! Slow and steady wins the race some weeks! At least you had progress and it was a tough week to boot! Congrats! Yes, kids, gotta love ’em! You are so lucky to have a hubby who is a master chef at work and isn’t too tired cooking to come home and cook as well! What are his specialties?

So today I weighed in at 118.6 so basically back down to where I was a few weeks ago- within my goal range of 115-120. One step forward, two back! I guess I’m learning what maintenance is (for me at least). I screw up and then get back on the wagon regularly! At least this pattern has kept me under 120 for the most part for a year now since losing over 15 lbs with the fasting plan. I don’t know that this lower weight has “stuck”/re-adjusted for me yet, probably because I keep yo-yo-ing a bit? It seems if I eat a little off kilter, I gain easily but within a week or two, I seem to be able to get it off. So there you go, that’s my experience with maintenance and set points for what it’s worth! πŸ˜‰

Today I’m fasting as I said to ease into eating differently after the cleanse. I’ve had a 100 cal protein drink, about a cup of blackberries, and a small homemade low cal pumpkin cookie so far. Going to the hair dresser this morn helped distract me from food for a while! Thinking of a healthy Mexican salad with chicken at a local place and then some sort of veg for dinner-keeping dinner light, especially on fast days, seems to be key for me in losing.

That’s all I’ve got for now! Happy weekend coming up everyone! πŸ™‚

Sherry

Hi!

Where’s everyone? Must have great weekend plans!

I lost a bit after my fast day yesterday…down to 118.4 so happy with that.

Crazy, scary day here. Hubby decided to let my teen who he’s teaching to drive (this being only the second time he’s taken her out btw), drive out of our steep-ish driveway and she accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake and flipped the car upside down (and she’d neglected to put on her seatbelt yet!). Mind you I thought the husband was going to drive her to a rather deserted parking lot and then have her practice, not let her drive out of our driveway!!! Had him take her to the ER just to make sure she had no glass in the cut on her arm or a concussion since her head hit the ceiling of the car. All is ok thank God due to our car being very well made. If you guessed I wanted to kill my husband, you’d be right.

Other than that excitement, I’m just doing some cooking of low carb-ish gluten free thinks to freeze and take on our camping trip.

How’s everyone doing? Hoping all of you had a less “exciting” Saturday than we did!

Ciao!

Sherry

OMG Sherry! How scary for your daughter and all of you! Do you think she’ll be afraid to drive again? So…is there a new car on the horizon for you?

I just got home from a week at the beach. Sis & I had a great week of sun and fun. I braved the scale and was relieved to see that I’ve gained less than a pound. Amazing. Now to begin again trying to budge some of this weight. I’ve been stuck around the same 5 lbs FOREVER!

Off to the golf course later today for a tournament. I haven’t touched my clubs in weeks as we had horrible, rainy weather for 2 weeks before I went on vacation, so it could be ugly. Determined to make it a fun day.

I’ll try to get back up to speed here and catch up with you all. Hope your fasting is going well and that you’re enjoying the journey.

Hi all,

Sherry! That sounds terrifying!! I’m glad they both came out of it okay.

I ended up with only 1 fast day last week owing to an unexpected lunch meeting on Thursday followed by dinner out. I knew about the dinner and had planned for it, but the lunch was a surprise. So, I just made it a healthy eating day. We’ll see what happens tomorrow when I weigh and measure.

My plan for next week is a Monday and Thursday fast. I have talked with everyone in my office about it, so they can help me out!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. We had commencement yesterday, so today is just rest and relaxation (and cooking!)

Ali

Good Sunday morning friends,

Thanks for your thoughts re: my daughter and husband. Both are still doing ok, my daughter is still a bit sore…had her take advil and I’ve been rubbing my arnica gel on her sore areas.

Had a healthy normal eating day yesterday and gained a pound. It could be due to salty soup I ate last night. Ugh! The non stop roller coaster! Fasting again today.

Lori, glad you had fun with your sister as always. Wish I had more fun, hang-out time with my sisters but they’re both always busy with work and/or family!

Ali, I’ll be thinking of you as we embark on our fast together on Monday! We will be strong together and report back! I’m thinking of a Wednesday and Friday fast too this week coming up.
    Firm, I made your Thai soup recipe finally after converting to my American measurements! Very good but I made some additions that I really liked: I added the juice of a lime, some Red Boat fish sauce (about 3 Tbs), more thai chili paste to taste, ground ginger to taste, and 2 Tbs garlic flavored coconut amino’s (like soy sauce without the soy). I felt this added more umami flavor to it. Btw, here’s a recipe for some meat I added to my soup bowl that you might like! I usually make it to eat in lettuce wraps. You could sub any meat you like, ground beef, chicken.

Thai Basil Ground Turkey

1.3 pounds ground lean turkey
    1/2 onion, diced
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 Tbs fresh ginger, minced
    2 Tbs low sodium soy sauce (I used the coconut amino’s)
    2 tsp. Asian garlic chili paste (like Sambal Oelek)
    1/2 cup Thai basil (I used regular basil as that’s all I could find)
    Juice of 1 lime
    About 1 Tbs coconut sugar or to taste

Cook turkey and onion over medium heat in nonstick skillet until browned. Add in garlic and ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add the soy sauce (or coconut amino’s), chili paste, and basil. Cook for 30 seconds and remove from heat. Taste and season as needed with additional soy or chili sauce. Squeeze lime juice over top.

Makes 4 servings (6 ounces each). Each = 253 calories, 13g fat, 478mg sodium, 6g carb, 1g fiber, 30g protein

This is a good, easy, low carb recipe. Even my picky kids like it!

Enjoy your day girls. We are still prepping for our trip and have a few 10 year old girls coming over swimming with my twins today. Yes, the weather here has finally warmed up to the extreme now! Super hot after being downright cold about a week ago!

See you!

Sherry

Hello Everyone,
    Back on it today and tomorrow. All excuses gone so wish me luck. Lovely sunny morning here in London. I’m off to an exercise class shortly then going to have the next stage or dental implant, then collecting soil samples in our local wood finishing off with some gentle weeding.

Sherry- sounds like a very lucky escape for your daughter. Phew!
    Gillian
    Xx

Good morning everyone!

Here’s my Monday report: 177 lbs (was 179 lbs) 37″ waist (was 38″) Yay! I must say that having good numbers has motivated my FD today! That is a good thing because today it is raining and chilly, which can devolve into a movie + popcorn evening. πŸ™‚

Mondays are always busy, so I’ve given myself the break of not worrying about exercise on Mondays. But I’m going to gear up for a workout tomorrow morning with a fresh fruit protein shake to come off my fast day. It amazes me how much planning it takes to not eat! Haha. But these are the steps to developing a good habit.

Thanks for the recipe, Sherry, it sounds delicious. I’ll give it a try this week.

Good luck Gillian! I’ll be fasting right along with you!

Have a great week, everybody!

Ali

Sounds good Ali,
    I had a reasonable fast day yesterday. Exercise clas then gardening. Bowl of lentils and an ice cream – went to see Colossal – weird and funny. Lost 1lb. Another fast day today. A few obstacles in prospect. Lunch out
    And promised to make risotto for husband with allotment veg – broad beans just coming into season.
    Gillian

Good morning,

Firstly, so sorry and sad to hear about the terrorist attack in England. Praying for you British girls! πŸ™

Ali, great job on the 2 lbs lost! Woo hoo! πŸ™‚

Yay for you too Gillian, losing a pound! Maybe I should incorporate some ice cream into my fast days because my last few have been a bomb! Lost nothing when I got on scale this morning. Very exasperating because I am trying soooo hard to lose more before my vacation!

Lori, I neglected to answer your question re: my daughter being scared to learn to drive now…she hasn’t said she is and I don’t want to bring it up and open a can of worms…we will see what happens I guess. Also, a new car will have to wait till end of the summer when we are finished with vacations and have time to look.

Today is an extremely busy day filled with FOOD! I have to take a bunch of kids from school to and from the class end of the year pool party which will be filled with munchies of all sorts (I’m packing something healthy as soon as I sign off). After that, I have to take the twins to their tennis lesson and afterward is the end of the year tennis party with a bbq and all that goes with it. Again, I’m making a salad and bring turkey dogs in an effort to stay on course. Wish me luck today girls as I need all the help I can get!!! The end of the school year activities are exhausting!

Ok off to pack food for the day and get ready to go!

Sherry

Sherry – very scary for your daughter!! And you!! I’m glad she doesn’t seem fearful of driving. I can’t even imagine…well I can having backed into the glass window of an apt building lobby in a 9 passenger station wagon (ah, the ’80s) when I was a new driver at 17 and it put me off backing up anywhere for a very long time.
    In Canada our kids are in school until almost the end of June, so we have a ways to go- grade 8 though,so my son isn’t doing much let me tell you lol. The grad ceremony will be emotional, I know.
    Fast day today- ate a lot on the weekend – still battling anxiety and depression, so that makes me want to eat, also boredom on our long weekend just past. Weather wasn’t great and no activities so hanging around the house with a 14 year old.
    Anyone not losing pounds, don’t despair, my weight hasn’t budged much off 159 (I’m 5 feet tall) but my waist has gone down 1/4 inch, so it’s doing something.
    Was disappointed that my pancreas enzyme levels were still 6x the acceptable limit. Had a CT scan last year when this happened and all was well, and no other symptoms. The value had dropped a bit, but not much and the other enzyme that indicates pancreas trouble is totally fine. So, not sure what’s going on.
    Saw a naturopath Friday who prescribed 2 supplements hoping to help with the hormonal fluctuations (yay, hormones!)as well as anxiety, general fatique and joint pain. Obviously some type of inflammation going on. I am too young to feel this old even with dropping 21lbs, I still think I should feel much better physically.
    Forcing myself to yoga this eve – I need something…
    Hope all have a good day – fasting or not!
    Sue

Hi All,

Another day of crazy! Morning started off with my hour walk then on to the twin’s class awards ceremony, rewarding each kid for certain character traits they displayed during the year. Afterward, I did my volunteering at the school library, checking in kids’ text books and helping to mend (with tape) those that were in need of a little TLC. That was the last 3 hours I needed to complete my 30 required hours of school service for the year (or they charge you $300). My son helped me and the other parents which was sweet so I took him out to a late lunch and went shopping for some things needed for our camping trip. So, now I’m home packing the motorhome a bit.

Today was a fast day, and since it was so busy, I didn’t mind much. Hopefully the scales are kinder to me tomorrow!

Sue, poor girl! You must have been very traumatized backing into that glass window as a teen! It must be tough with the eating and the anxiety/ depression. Not fun! I hope the naturopath can help with it all. If the doctor can’t, keep searching for a good one. With these natural medicine docs, I’ve found you might have to go through a few to find one that works for you! Have they run any tests to see if you have any inflammatory response /allergies to certain foods? Do you take a good probiotic? Just some ideas…I think the yoga will help with the anxiety…also meditation-something I keep saying I’m going to work on doing!

Tomorrow is the last day of school. My son’s class will have an awards ceremony then there will be a parent appreciation chapel and then they’re off for the summer…Lord help me!!!

Hope to hear from more of you ladies. What is working for you and what is not? Let’s help each other!

Sherry

Sherry…your schedule makes my head spin! You are wonder woman! So, you’re off for a camping trip soon? I have always found that those types of trips end up being more work for the Mom! God love you!

I’m hanging in there. Lost the pound that I gained on vacation, plus a little bit. I’ve joined an online intermittent fasting group that starts on June 10. I’m hoping it is the kick start I need to get this last bit of weight off and keep it off.

Good luck to all!

Hi All! Sherry, I liked the n/path a lot, very practical and not dumping a bunch of supplements on me. I feel much better – Ithink a lot is menopause symptoms, had a hysterectomy years ago, but am tracking my cycle which I still get bc I have ovaries, and it’s coinciding to the upset behaviour. So, I will take these two new supplements and hope they balance things out. I’m too young to feel this old lol.
    Sherry, your schedule is nuts – but so fun to be off for the summer already and off on your camping. My kind of camping- a motor home! When we moved to Canada from the US when I was 5, my aunt and uncle from Calgary picked us up and we drove across from Ontario to Calgary for some time in the summer. It was a lot of fun. My uncle joked he had two wives (my Dad died when I was 4), 4 kids (all of us) and two dogs (1 theirs, one ours).
    Good for you on the pound, Lori! Every little bit gets us there! I am still hovering around 158-160 but was happy to get past 160. I’m setting a goal of 150 for the summer – I know it’s not much, but little goals are best for me or I get too discouraged.
    Rainy all day here and fast day so my co-workers are bugging me more than usual!
    Cheers!
    Sue

Hi all
    A quick pop in before my Pilates session. Just finished 5th grade awards ceremony & parent appreciation chapel. Grocery shopping after Pilates- yes, all before noon! It’s making my head spin too!

So after fast I actually gained a bot this morn! I’m so freaking discouraged lately I can’t tell u! The harder I try lately, the worse it is! Don’t kno what gives? Ok gotta go to session- sorry for typos- on my phone!
    Bye!

Didn’t gain a”bot” btw, whatever that is! Maybe it would be better than gaining a bit tho?!πŸ˜‚

Gained a robot??
    Maybe it’s hormonal, Sherry?
    You’d think with all your running around you’d be a stick figure…

OK here goes this week’s numbers…..and they are exactly the same as last week. πŸ™ Considering i tried 2×800 cal days followed by a 500 cal day…could not figure out what happened till someone suggested it was possibly the sodium in the dinner time miso soup leading to water retention. Thanks…makes lots of sense. So from now on, miso soup only for lunch. I was actually surprised that i did not put on weight after the wonderful venison Shepherd’s pie that hubby made last with with the pile of mashed potatoes and peas…

However it has been almost a month since i started the 5:2 lifestyle and I have lost 2.6kg, 6cm off the waist, 2 cm off the hips and my blood sugar that was regularly 7+ when i started is now regularly 6+. My blood pressure which was ok in the past is now better and my medical report came back with uric acid and cholesterol in the higher end of normal…down from 2+ months ago. So all good reasons to pat myself on the back and continue down this path. Plus my dresses and t-shirts barely bulge in the middle now.

Wishing everyone a great weekend…

Today: 26 May

19 May

12 May

Hi! Where are you all? I expected to have a big catch up to do on all your posts when I finally got back on today! We’re on our road trip headed to Santa Fe, New Mexico today… Looking forward to some yummy blue corn enchiladas with red & green chile sauce tonight!

Yesterday spent the day at Lake Havasu, AZ kayaking under the London Bridge ( which was bought here piece by piece and reconstructed for those of you who don’t know) and went jet skiing for two hours. Fun but tiring day!

Eating is going ok. I even brought my scale but haven’t jumped on just yet!

Well girls, hope to hear from some of you when I’m able to get back on here! Have a good rest of your week!

Sherry

Hi Sherry, things have been quiet on here. Your trip so far sound amazing, I’m envious! Our kids are still in school in Canada until the end of June.
    Got my two fast days in this week, weighing in tomorrow – been getting more compliments from people, seems to depend on what I’m wearing lol. My waist seems to be slowly shrinking even if my weight is moving slowly.
    Have a good rest of the week!
    Sue

Another week gone, a little bit of weight gone too. I actually managed to touch 66.9 two days ago but it crept back up to 67kg today. But I do have one more Fast day to go for this week so hope to reach that 66+ soon. Otherwise, measurements didn’t vary much, that waist is proving to be stubborn. I find that losing the pouch below the belly button is steady but around the belly – slow. But am still loving this plan.

Aiming for 64kg by the end of the month….not going to be easy but going to try my best. Have a great weekend everyone.

esther

Today: 2 June
    Weight: 67kg
    Hips: 100cm

26 May

19 May

12 May

Hi ladies!

Sitting here biding my time at a Mexican restaurant here in Santa Fe until a thunder/lightning/hail storm passes! We finished eating ibut too blustery & flooded right now to go out in this! β›ˆ

Good job Sue with the compliments! And you too Esther! We just have to keep swimming forward as Tilley always says!

Tomorrow we head to Oklahoma . Nothing special we’re seeing there- just a stop to spend the night before hitting Branson, Missouri . I have to check and see if there’s any last minute availability to see any decent shows there while in Branson.

Ok, as they say in New Mexico, adios!

Sherry

WOW Sherry! You are having quite a road trip! Safe travels and enjoy every minute!

I’m getting more into intermittent fasting(8 hr eating window) along with my low carb, high fat plan. I have a good feeling that this will be the combo that will finally get me to my goal. I’m in no hurry. Just taking it a day at a time.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Hi from the open road on the way to OK . Lots of flat nothingness to see! Pretty clouds ☁️ though that we don’t often get to see in CA. I booked a show for Branson to see the Duttons on Monday. They were on America’s Got Talent show a while back. It’s a family oriented show with 3 generations including little kids playing musical instruments/singing, etc. It had over a 1,000 4-5 star reviews on Trip Advisor so it should be good!

I ate the last of my southwestern food this morning for breakfast- my leftover smoked chicken, black bean & green chile blue corn enchilada scrambled with an egg and
    some manchego cheese with a small corn tortilla on the side-YUM!πŸ˜‹
    Lunch is coming up soon and I think I’m eating a Thai salad: leftover Thai ground turkey (that recipe I shared with you all a few days back) atop some shredded cabbage & carrots with a yummy homemade Thai dressing. Can you tell I’m food preoccupied?! When you’re stuck in a motor home for hours on end, you think about what your next meal is going to be out of boredom! πŸ€”

Good luck Lori- seems you’ve done that eating plan in the past with good results, right?

Ok, time to make the kids some sandwiches as we bump along down the road- I think I’m developing good thigh muscles from trying to stabilize myself while doing food prep as we drive! πŸ˜‰
    Sherry

Viewing 50 posts - 4,651 through 4,700 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.