Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,451 through 4,500 (of 5,077 total)

• Hi Sherry & Everyone!

I, too, need help getting back on track! I’m still up that darn 5 lbs from the Holidays! I’ve been doing well with the walking and boot camp, but just can’t seem to get the eating back in check. I’m going to do my best to have a FD today and another on Thursday.

We have been having foggy, grey weather for some time now and today we have rain and then turning to sleet and finally snow overnight. Ugh. I was able to get outside for my walks on both Saturday and Sunday despite the foggy weather. I got 3.5 miles in each day. It was so nice to get outside instead of trudging along on the treadmill.

Well Sherry…….what can we do to boost each other? Is today a FD for you? I’m going to try to stay at 500 calories today, but since I’m doing boot camp, I may allow it to creep up to 600 or so. We can do it! What is your plan for today?

Hey there Lori,

Can’t say how happy I am to hear from you! Well, the plan today is as I mentioned in my last post, I’m starting the 4 day bone broth/protein/veggie cleanse again today. I’m fine for the 4 days whenever I do it…it’s just the continuing with good eating once I’m done. Usually that’s not been a problem, but lately it is! I think the sugar over the holidays really did me in (mind and body). I keep looking for that sugar high I think? Though lately I haven’t been eating sugar per se, I’ve been searching out carby things to eat a lot! It’s partly due to the weather for me too. As a native So Cal girl, I really don’t do well with extended days of grey skies and rain (I know, waaaah!). It just depresses me. I want to stay inside and make and eat comforting carbs! I have been getting walks in in between rain storms though the last few days and it looks like today there might be a break in the action so I can get out there.

I’m just getting so scared that I’m undoing all the good work I’ve done to lose this weight as has always happened to me in the past. I thought I’d gotten over that hurdle but I guess not. As I mentioned, I go back to Hawaii 2/15 and I really don’t want to be noticeably chubbier when I return. My pilates instructor there was remarking how much weight I’d lost when I was there in November so that’s embarrassing to go back plumper!

Well, let’s make a pact of one day at a time to conquer this beast, shall we? You promise to get your 500-600 cal fast in today and I promise to be a good girl on my cleanse (which I’m sure I will be…it’s the after the cleanse part I’ve not been good at lately!). I’m cheering you on!!! Also, here’s my email if you ever want to get in touch other than through this thread (which I think is dying a slow death!): hisc146@cox.net.

Hope any of you ladies who are out there still reading will join back in and that you’re doing better than me at this currently! Again, any ideas for me (or Lorie) to help us get back on track would be most welcome!

Hugs (we all need them right now!),

Sherry

Hi all. I’m feeling discouraged because I’ve had two good weeks of fasting two days and today I’m up 2lbs. Probably over all eating less than I was. How is this possible!??
    Also OMG if I don’t see the sun I’m going to fade away. Grey. Misty. Foggy. Rainy. I’d rather have snow. And did some bizarre reason my left sciatic nerve and lower back really hurt. Since yesterday. I can’t think what I’ve done to it. Yoga class Saturday shouldn’t have done anything but I guess it’s possible??
    Really busy at work and my boss who I love keeps giving me more small research questions. I work in a university archives and rare book room so we get a lot of researchers both internal and the general public. There are 4 other staff but I seem to be his go to person. Drawback of being willing and cheerful all the time lol. He clashes with the rest of them especially my direct peer in the same position as me.
    So I am thinking we should migrate to another thread? Someone else in here mentioned it but I forget whom. I haven’t really been on any of the other threads.
    Let’s hope we all do well this week. Seems
    Like we need some cheering up!!
    Cheers! Sue

I’m up for migrating to a different thread. I don’t spend time on any others either, so really don’t know where we’d migrate to. Up for any suggestions.

Hi all,
    sounds like you are all suffering from the winter blues up there in the northern hemisphere 😥
    Had a few good fast days in the past few weeks but I’m still not losing any weight. Very frustrating. I have been pretty good with my eating on non FDs but seem to have plateaued 😏
    I think we just have to keep chugging along with what we know is the right way to go about this eating business. I know what I have to do but I don’t always do it grrrrrr 😠
    Don’t get discouraged, we can do it together. I reached my mid term goal, now I have my next goal which is another 3 kgs. Easier said than done these days, but I am seeing differences in my body shape, even my husband has commented so I am winning. At least that’s what I have to keep telling myself !!!

Been out with my walking girls this morning, although not walking per se, unless you count walking around this new place near home called Market Fair. Its a large warehouse where people set up stalls to sell vintage and craft wares. So much fun, and so dangerous to the bank balance haha Next door is this beautiful organic Whole Foods place with a cafe. We did have coffee but no cakes 🎂
    Going to head to the gym this afternoon, went early yeasterday because it was a very hot day 37deg c phew!! Today it’s cooler so I can cope better.
    Keep your chins up girls, just remember what Dory says ‘Just keep swimming, just keep swimming’ 🐟🐟
    Love Tilly xx

Hi. Tilley I think you’re right. It’s the “winter blues”. Not enough sun. I’ve been taking more vitamin d than usual hoping to shift it. Dragged my butt to yoga even though I didn’t want to. I knew I’d feel better afterwards which I did and also it kills an hour or so on a fast evening when I might be tempted to eat. Had a salad with a teeny bit of leftover steak on it.
    I’m stuck at the same weight for a couple of weeks after losing weight fairly easily in the first couple of months. So then I get discouraged. I did post on another thread. Women of a “certain age” I think it was called. Similar thread. Mature women working towards a goal of weight loss and improved health. We’re down to only a few on here…
    More rain tomorrow. Or, to liven things up, possibly some snow lol.
    I hope we all get (or got!) some rest!
    Goodnight
    Sue

Wow! This is the most activity I’ve seen on here in weeks! So nice to hear from everyone!

I wonder if it is lack of sun that’s slowing the weight loss for some of us? Sue, is vitamin D supplementation supposed to help with the weight loss when there’s lack of sun? To be honest, for me personally, I’ve just been piggy lately! BUT, I do believe the lack of sunshine has contributed to my sort of depressive mood which has made me crave sweets! 😉

Lori, how did the fast day end today? Good?

Tilly, it does sound like you’re winning (with that positive comment from your hubby!). It could be the old inches before pounds and soon you’ll register that loss! You’re right…what choice do we have but to keep swimming? I don’t want to give up and then kick myself in the butt that I didn’t put the brakes on sooner and just get this holiday weight off before it becomes 10 or 20 lbs! I would get in BIG trouble if I took walks with you in that shopping area! I love Whole Foods too. I get in trouble there alone buying organic produce, etc. Very expensive place, that Whole Foods!

Sue, I’m wondering if it’s just a natural plateau that we all reach at some point in our weight loss journey or if, like me, there’s a little too much liberal eating going on during NFD’s? Maybe tracking calories or doing your TDEE on NFD’s for a bit might help? I personally didn’t do that when I lost the weight but now feel I might have to in order to reign it in. Different points in our life require different tools maybe! So, did you like the mature women thread? I think we all realize this thread is barely hanging on and while we all enjoy chatting with each other, it might be nice to have more people in our fold. Maybe we could all do a little investigating on the other threads and see if we find one that might suit our little group? I’ve posted on one of the “bingeing” websites (yes, I tend to have that problem sometimes!) and it seems “Ok”.

Well, Day 1 of the 4 day cleanse ( which I suppose given the calories consumed is pretty close to a fast day) is successfully down, 3 more to go!

Hope to talk to you all tomorrow! 🙂

Hi all, I’m sure it’s lack of sun, at least here in ONtario Canada, it’s been 2 weeks of mist and grey and rain and bits of snow. Most of our snow is melted so that isn’t around to brighten things up.
    I dont’ know if I am eating too much on NFDs, I eat less now than I did period, because I am more aware, I don’t eat sweets, or carbs really other than I do like my popcorn a couple times a week. Often on NFD’s I skip lunch anyway or have a protein shake which is about 150 calories.
    If I don’t seem some bit of loss tomorrow after 2 strict fast days this week, I will be P*SSED!!!!!
    Hope you all are doing well!!
    Sue

Hi All!

Not much to report on the fasting front. With all the activity(boot camp and the extra walking), I am starving! I’m sticking to low carb for the most part, but fasting is just not happening right now. The scale did go down a pound from Monday to Wednesday, but not sure what I’ll see tomorrow morning. I’m still struggling with the 5 lbs gained over the holidays.

Hope all is well with everyone!

Hi girls!

I’ve been soooo crazy busy this week that I haven’t been able to check in! Only able to do so now ( on my crummy phone so expect lots of typo’s!) because I’m early and waiting in car pick up line to get the kids from school. Every day this week has been an appt of some sort. Today was with a new financial planner. Trying tiger our financial ducks more in line. It’s been bugging me for the longest time so it will be nice to have a real plan’ not that I don’t trust how my hubby’s been handling things, but it’s always nice to have new/ professional eyes look at it!

Also this week had to take my daughter for a consult to remove a mole that isn’t cancerous but could potentially turn .

Today is the last day of the cleanse and I’m feeling better but not so good or brave that I want tijump on the scale .

Sue, I’d think you’ve got to lose this week having been that good!

Lori. Yay! you’ve at least taken off a pound! Going in the right direction!

Ok, kids starting to pile in- gotta go & get the younger two to their tennis lesson.

Btw that would be “trying” to get financial ducks in line! No tigers! 😬🐯

Sherry……ROFL!

Sherry – made me laugh!
    I cheated tonight if you can call putting three boiled eggs instead of two on my salad. I was hungry and miserable all day and insanely busy at work. Had a brief complaining session with co-worker about the struggles we ALL face with another peer. Didn’t want anyone to do anything about it, just wanted to vent. Fighting a sore throat that I am praying goes away over night. Gargling with apple cider vinegar and warm water which is as gross as you might imagine but has worked in the past.
    I’ll go to bed early….my son has math final exam tomorrow so he’s up studying. I’m going to watch “Sherlock”. Does anyone else watch it? If not, depending on what you’re into, it’s excellent. I actually have never liked mysteries but it came highly recommended and I was hooked. Also “Victoria” about Queen Victoria and Downton abbey anyone??

Hey, guys! Very quick pop on to let you know I’m still here. The chaos is pretty extreme….oh and did I tell you we got our daughter a violin for Christmas? She is a pretty decent cellist and wanted a violin to play around with….just what I need to calm things down!!!! Haha.

The remodel is still in the very intense phase and there are still some decisions to make plus it’s so difficult to stay on top of regular house stuff while basically camping out. First world problems, right? I mean I have to walk almost 15 feet to the bathroom sink to fill up the water pitcher. I’m such a weenie. And I actually dropped off our laundry today rather than hang out at the laundromat. In my defense, we are busy at work with a conference coming up AND I’m still learning the online program for the class I teach. So I’m juggling several balls.

Lori, I’m still impressed with your bootcamp. I have a feeling you look terrific.

Sherry, one day I will have to get the details on your broth cleanse.

Sue and Tilly, it sounds as if you’re doing really well. It’s normal to have stalls.

So I’m doing okay but not great with FDs. I was happy that the scales weren’t as horrible as they could have been. I’ve almost recovered from the holidays. These days, that’s something to celebrate–not with food though.

My husband is in the Netherlands so that’s helping a bit. Sherry, we’re going to wait and see what the year brings but moving is on the table. We would not sell our house, though, at this point.

Good luck, ladies!

Hey, Sue. I forgot to add that Victoria looks amazing to me. It is on my list. At the moment we are watching Mozart in the Jungle. I caught one episode of Sherlock and it was intriguing but maybe too many loops for me to follow. I might give it another try. We were watching Leftovers, which is kind of a dark post modern apocalyptic fantasy, but I had to bail out because one of the story lines was too disturbing for me! Same thing happened with Breaking Bad, although with that I watched some YouTube summaries and then caught the finale. We watched Downton Abbey–I liked the earlier seasons best. It sounds as if we watch TV all the time–we don’t but my husband and I do watch half an hour or so in the evening, just to relax. It’s so great to be able to stream things and continue with them from night to night….

Ok NowI’m writing u guys on phone from grocery store parking lot where my car seems to have died. Battery. Albert? Tow truck is on its way. Luckily I hadn’t bought groceries yet- I’d parked to finalize my shopping list & turned off engine but still had radio on. I guess that 10 min killer the battery? Don’t know- driving me crazy because I have a lot of shopping & cooking to do as my friend with MS is having a bad episode and I told her I’d help out and bring over a few days worth of meals ! Ugh! Husband is ar home wrestling with a broken dryer. The cleaning lady is there so he’s trying to fix it quickly so she can dry sheets & towels . When it rains it pours! 😟

Well I broke down & weighedmyself this morn and im I’m down 1.8lbs from earlier this month when I did a cleanse so I guess that’s progress. Still, I haven’t weighed this much since last March. Double UGH! I’d really like to get a few pounds below the 120″s before I go to Hawaii in a little more than 2 wks. Possible but will e tough.

Sue, if the worst you do when stressed is ear an extra egg, I’d say you’re doing good! 😉

Elizabeth, good to see you again! The remodel sounds miserable- just try to keep concentrating on the soon-to/-cone great outcome! Sounds like you’re doing good with eating despite everything going on! Hold strong!

Glad I could give everyone some comedy relief with my tiger typo! I’m sure there will be more mishaps in this message!

Have a good day all!

Ahhh! This is getting tobe a comedy! Don’t know any “Albert” and pls Sue, don’t “ear”anymore eggs! 😂

Oh my Sherry…..you are having a time of it! Hope you and Albert(LOL) get the car running and that you can get your shopping and cooking done.

I was out for lunch with some of my golfing friends at a place about 1/2 hr from me. Well…..I get home and discover that my credit card is not in my wallet. I don’t know what made me look for it, but something told me to look in my wallet. Sigh….I called and they “looked” for it and didn’t find it but would call me if they did. I called them back and said I’m just coming back to the restaurant as I know it’s there….I was no where else today. So….drove another 1/2 hr back to the place and again they told me it wasn’t there……they had looked thru all the folders etc and the room we were in had been cleared and the floor swept. In a last ditch effort, the guy looked in the garbage and there it was! It had been gathered up with placemats and napkins etc. OMG…….I was so relieved. That’s the first time I have ever done that……makes your hair stand on end, you know? I think I need a drink!

Have a good weekend!

best wishes

Lori, poor thing with the credit card craziness! I’d have just cancelled the darn thing instead of driving a half hour back in hopes of finding it(thank goodness you did after all of that)! They mail them out to you within a day or two so it’s really not that bad.

Well, I managed to pull off cooking 2 meals for the friend and one for us in time the day I killed the car battery! I made her Ina Garten’s roast chicken recipe and included lots of baby potatoes, onions and carrots to roast with the chicken. Also made a big pot of turkey sloppy joes for her for another night and our family’s dinner that night and some almond coconut chocolate chip cookies. She said they enjoyed the meal so that made me feel good.

I ate really well yesterday and even felt a tad hungry when I went to bed. It wasn’t a fast day but it was definitely somewhere between 800-1000 calories max. Anyhow, no weight lost this morning. Still 121.8. 🙁 I’m doing an actual regimented fast today to try to give myself a push. Again, so discouraging that the weight isn’t coming off quicker than this! I was below 120 since last May so you’d think I’d have sort of reset my base body weight such that it would be easier to return to, but NOOOOO! Never am I going on an extended holiday eating binge again. One day of eating off plan max and then back on the horse. It’s just not worth it!

I really need to get under 120 by the 15th of February when I leave for HI. When I’m there it will be nice because I can concentrate on me and making healthy, small meals for myself and doing lots of walks. That should bring me home a few pounds lighter too!

The weather here is just absolutely beautiful the last few days…warm, sunny, breezy and in the high 70’s. So nice after our extended rainy, grey days! It’s very quiet and peaceful around here this afternoon. The three younger ones are at birthday parties and playdates. I’ve got a big slow cooker full of French onion soup going for tonight’s dinner. I think I’ll be having it sans the French bread on top. I’m also going to roast some asparagus.

Well, that’s all I’ve got for now. Good luck to anyone out there who’s joining me in a fast today! 🙂

Hi guys!

I’m checking in from the basketball court, 🏀 waiting for my son’s game to start (apologizing in advance as I’m on my phone and we all know how that goes with regard to my typing!).

Fasted yesterday & lost 0.2 lbs! It’s like REALLY?! Trying to be positive but it’s hard 😞! I’m trying to chalk it up to sodium retention from the French onion soup last night, but I doubt it! At this rate I will not make my goal of getting under 120 before I leave in 2 weeks.

My hubby & I spent the afternoon trying to figure out a good, not too long, interesting route from California to Michigan in our motor home this summer. I don’t think it’s exists- especially if you want to spend at least a few days in some of the nicer places to break up the drive. I think the kids would end up killing each other being in the motor home together that long- we’re thinking round trip will take at least a month. Idk, might not be such a good idea after all!😖

Anyhow, please check in ladies & say hi & update us on how you’re doing!

💗 Sherry

How are you all doing? Any better results to report?

Weird! Idk how that line appeared at bottom of my post? Maybe I started typing it early on and accidentally moved it

Hi all. Sherryann does your whole family go to HI? The lack of weight loss could be sodium for sure. i was good tonight and decided to “ear” only two eggs on salad. 🙃 Went to yoga which was a good workout but my lower back and sciatic nerve are both acting up. I’m really uncomfortable and so afraid to move the “wrong” way. I see an osteopath Wednesday, and hoping that will help. Taking some supplements too and tumeric.
    Caroline I’m going to look up Mozart in the jungle. I admit I watch a lot of tv lol but I’m also an avid reader. There’s just too many intriguing enjoyable shows, mostly on HBO or pbs admittedly or Netflix. Not enough time. My 13 yr old son and I are watching “unfortunate events” on Netflix and enjoying. Also Jane the Virgin was surprisingly engaging. Loved downton Abbey – felt sorry for Edith and hated Mary lol.
    We finally had done sun today and it was lovely after two weeks of gray days. Really gets you down.
    No loss the past three weeks. Just stable. Am getting annoyed as I don’t seem to be eating any more on my non FDs than I was when I lost 16lbs. In fact I’d say less. It was nice to buy smaller sizes when I picked up a few tops on the weekend though!
    Hope everyone has a lovely evening.

Hey Sue!

Twice a year I go to HI solo or with a friend ( going solo again this time- kinda enjoying not having to show anyone around!). The family comes during the holidays & for a month in the summer.

You know, I have a chronic lower back sciatic nerve/piriformis issue that’s been ongoing. My Ortho suggested Pilates to strengthen my core instead of yoga- while I still have twinges on occasion, I feel the best I have in years since doing Pilates. It takes about 3 mo’s or so to really start feeling benefits but it’s been worth it. Anyhow, something for you to consider! Good luck!

Hi!

Well, I had a pretty good FD yesterday, although I did go above 500 calories. Over 2 lbs down on the scale! I suppose it’ll pop back up a bit, but it was nice to see the drop. I didn’t worry about eating a bit over since I did lots of exercise yesterday…both boot camp & walked over 3 miles.

Took off from boot camp today as we have snow coming. I looked out and there is a light, slippery looking coating on the roads. Really don’t want to slide into a ditch in the dark.

I think today will just be a day of sipping coffee and watching it snow. I was going to go up to the golf club and play cards and have lunch with the ladies, but not in ugly weather.

Oh Sherry………off to Hawaii again…..sigh….That sounds simply wonderful. Now…..a road trip in a motor home with fighting kids? Not so much. LOL! You are brave!

Ok…time for some more coffee. Have a good day!

A quick hello to everyone!

Just back from my walk. Pilates lady cancelled today with the flu, poor girl! Still sticking at 121.6 and y’all know how I feel about that! 🙁 🙁 🙁
    Tonight is one of our office’s quarterly dinner meetings at a Mexican place. We’re having enchiladas, beans and rice. Not exactly figure friendly. I may sneak and have a salad instead if I can find one on the menu.

Think I’ll fast tomorrow and then again on Friday and Sunday. Saturday is my husband’s birthday out at a brewery restaurant (it’s what he wants to do for his bday so I’m stuck!) so yet another dietary challenge! Really trying to go to war against this 4 lb (was 5) weight gain since mid December. Vowing to return from HI at no more than 117. Wish me luck!

Lori, fantastic that you lost 2 lb’s from one fast! I’d hate you if I didn’t love you! 😉 Ya, as I’ve said, I’m taking one for the team, heading to Hawaii for some R&R! Yep, still debating the motorhome trip. Even the kids, when we told them about the plans in the works, looked a bit dismayed. My hubby is from MI and we wanted the kids to see where he grew up and to visit some relatives most of them don’t remember because they were so young last time we were there. Thought of flying but that would be expensive since we’re already going to fly to HI that summer as well. Plus I don’t relish the idea of potentially staying at my sister-in-law’s small place (plus she’s a piece of work…a whole other story) and they would insist I’m sure. We’ll see…

Ok, gotta get going!

Hi all, I was brave and weighed this morning after yesterday as a FD and haven’t lost. Not surprising, hiopefully a loss after Thursdays FD! Sherry, your travel dilemma sounds daunting – on the one hand it’s nice having your own “hotel”, but not if your kids are going to be at each other’s throats. As an adult, I would LOVE a cross-country trip like that, lol…

Do you have family in HI? Or a friend you stay with?

Thanks for the tip re. Pilates, I am going to look into it. The sciatic thing comes and goes, right now it’s annoying, but earlier I was walking totally normally. I suspect my office chair, but it’s been the same chair forever, why now? I see the Osteopath tomorrow, so will talk to her about it and see if she can treat it. Also maybe massage therapy. I do have benefits that would pay for it. Getting old is expensive! Still haven’t talked bi-focals, don’t have benefits for that so would be out of pocket minimum $300.

Spaghetti for dinner tonight – I just eat the meat sauce, no pasta….

Howdy gals,

It’s a fast day today and my tummy is grumbling. It’s late afternoon here and so far I’ve had a cup of blackberries and a protein drink. Dinner will probably be a salad with some chicken.

I of course gained 0.6 from last night’s dinner meeting- back up into the 122’s. I had one small chicken enchilada, a small ladle of refried beans and a handful of tortilla chips. I ate little and low carb the earlier part of the day. I feel like I live in a box and can’t venture out a tad without gaining weight. 🙁 I want to be a “regular” person who can eat out reasonably and not gain because of it! Am I alone in this??? I think my fast today is making me grumpy!

Sue, funny, I just broke down and ordered my first pair of prescription “big girl” glasses just a few days ago that have reading, far and intermediate correction built into the one lense. The gal at the counter said they’re great but take some getting used to as you have to move your eyes up and down to see at the different levels. Might drive me bonkers…don’t know! Before this I just relied on store bought readers. Might try contacts. We’ll see. Yes, I’m late to this party of taking care of my eyes! Good thing was the eye doc said the health of my eyes (when they look behind your eyeball with the special machine) was good. I’m just old and can’t read without glasses!

Time to figure out what to make for dinner. When I’m fasting, I try not to make something too exciting for the others since I’m not usually eating it! 😉 Tonight it may very well be frozen pot stickers from Costco!

How’s everyone else holding up? See you all later!

Hi all, I’m just catching up on the past weeks posts!! Just found them in the junk mail file, don’t know why it’s putting them there !
    Just got home from a night away with a group of friends, eaten way too much, so fasting for the next month I think haha
    Had my monthly weigh in at the gym last Wednesday, up 300gms on last month. Weight is see sawing from 59.8kg to 61kg so frustrating. Onwards and downwards right ??
    I love Sherlock, you need to watch from the start of season 1 as there is an ongoing storyline through the whole. Also loved Victoria and Downton Abbey. My son convinced me to start watching The Walking Dead (Zombies) last month. It’s rather gruesome but I’ve gotten into the storyline !!
    Heading off on holidays in a week and a half!! Woohoo. We are heading north, meeting with a couple we met and made friends with on our mid year holiday last year. On the way we will be collecting our new off road Camper Trailer, so excited. We hope to do a big 12 week trip across the country next year and 800kms is on dirt tracks across the desert, need something a bit more sturdy than our caravan.
    Anyway will try and figure out why you’re going to the junk file.
    Love Tilly xx

So quiet here again…seems to go in waves!

Tilly, good to see you here! Glad you discovered us finally in the junk pile! Yes, this website is strange. Sometimes I get email notifications, sometimes not. I generally check online every day or two just in case I’m not seeing any notifications. Yes, the yo yo-ing around the same number on the scale is driving me nuts right now too! Can’t stand it much longer! 121.8 again today. Fasting today and want to chew my arm off. 🙁

Wow! A 12 week trip? Would your son be going? Is he your only child and how old is he again? Can he stand 12 weeks on the road not seeing his friends? Last summer, we took one of my 11 year old son’s long-time buddies with us for 10 days on a camping trip to Yosemite. My son was kind of an idiot half the time to the kid (not sure why? Maybe some jealousy that he wasn’t the only boy around?). Anyhow, the boy is so nice and laid back that we invited him to join us for a month in Hawaii this summer since it takes the stress off of us dealing with my son moaning about how he has no one to play with (his sisters tend to exclude him since he’s just a tad irritating!). Have fun on your holiday coming up! Eat mindfully so as not to come back with too much extra weight to lose!

Sue, I forgot to answer your earlier question, we have a condominium in Hawaii as we have a business in Honolulu. So, we are back and forth for business and pleasure.

As I’d mentioned previously, tomorrow is the hubby’s 56th bday. Bought him a bunch of new clothes today. He’s very picky so I’m sure 3/4 of them will be going back to the store! He always says he doesn’t need any clothes but then seems to love to wear whatever he choses to keep! I’m trying to migrate him away from the Hawaiian shirts (except when he’s in HI of course!) and to a more modern look! We go to dinner tomorrow night-always a challenge for me, but they seem to have some fairly healthy salads so it shouldn’t be too bad. Then of course there’s the big Super Bowl football party on Sunday. For those not in the US, this is a big deal. Everyone sitting around watching the game (I watch for the great commercials they run for it and the half time show) and eating WAY too much food. We’re having a couple and their kid over and, again, I’m going to try to be as good as I can. It’s definitely a tough week food-wise!

Miss Lori, where are you? You are not posting as much now that you’re so busy in your retirement! 😉

Adios! 🙂

Hi Everyone!

Yes, I’m still around. I only had 1 decent FD this week…..I’m beginning to think fasting is really not my thing. I’m trying to stick to LCHF, but I have slips on that too. Sigh…..not sure there is a perfect plan for me. Of course, my goal has always been to stick to plan 80% of the time and allow for some fun and treats. This works well for maintenance, but not so good for losing. If I stay right where I am, I’ll be happy, but wouldn’t be mad if 20 more lbs came off. I guess I have to be willing to work for it, don’t I? Same old song.

Happy birthday to Sherry’s husband and my son! We’ll be going out for dinner tonight to celebrate with our son and his family. This is birthday season around here. Our daughter’s bday was the end of January, now our son’s today, and mine is sneaking up in just over a week.

Well, today is starting too early thanks to my lovely cat. She got me up at just after 4AM and now is purring away lying on my lap as I balance my laptop on the arm of my recliner. She has the life! I’m enjoying some coffee and will have a few hours of this and that before I strap on my shoes and get 3 miles of walking in. They are having an Ice festival in our little town and there are sculptures up and down the streets. We’ll walk uptown and have a look. The temp will only be in the low 30’s, so we’ll have to bundle up.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Good morning Lori and all!

Morning walk with the hubby is complete and now the poor guy has gone to my son’s baseball practice (do the sports ever end?) and to teach our 16 year old how to drive in the parking lot while the practice is going on. Wishing him luck on that one! 😉

Well, I’m down finally 1.4 lb to 120.4 after yesterday’s fast. I’m not quite sure of the exact calorie intake because I didn’t plan super well yesterday. The magic formula for me was: a large, healthy nut and coconut filled breakfast cookie I’d made prior, a salad at a Mexican fast food place of lettuce/cabbage/salsa/chicken/guacamole (it’s my go-to when I’m out and about and can’t get home for a meal), a cup of blackberries/raspberries, a bunch of roasted asparagus, a couple pieces of dried pineapple and a healthy mini muffin size key lime pie I’d made and had in the freezer. Anyhow, I think I might try a repeat of that day’s menu next time I fast to see if I’m successful again! For me, not eating much at night is very key to losing, so just eating asparagus and berries (& mini pie) probably helped.

I had a late breakfast today of a slice of some chocolate bread I’d made with some almond butter on top. Really yummy and healthy recipe I’d gotten off the net that’s chock full of healthy fats and consists mainly of almond flour, coconut oil and 2 whole avocados so the bread is super moist (and no, you don’t taste the avo’s!). Even the hubby and kids love it! Might have some berries mid-afternoon and then we go to an early birthday dinner. Hoping this plan minimizes the eating out damage!

Lori, happy b-day to your son today too! How funny! And your bday is next week?
    Yes, we have to work very hard for every single pound. It’s tough but I think worth it. I definitely don’t want to go back to where I was. I was starting to see that staring me in the face after the holidays and it was scary as usually I would gain from the holidays through Spring and then start desperate dieting attempts right before summer hit. What a nightmare! Maintaining for now is better than gaining, right? When you are ready to shake things up, you will! We all know it has a lot to do with our frame of mind/steadfastness.

Have a great weekend ladies. Check in when you can Sue, Tilly and Elizabeth (are you still out there?)!

Hi Sherryann and all,
    Well FD yesterday and I pulled off 600gms so I’m happy although I have my brothers birthday celebration this afternoon, hopefully they won’t notice if I only have a glass of water 😉 I hope to get under that magic number this week…below 60kg. Must admit it was nice to wear a fitted dress to church this morning and it fitted !! 😁

Sherry my kids are 31; 29 and 26 so the son still at home is the 29 year old. He won’t be coming with us haha pretty sure he wouldn’t want to. He is actually planning on being out of here soon he hopes ( and we do too) we love him to bits but he needs to leave and make his own way.
    Sherry you’re husband is a year younger than mine, Tony turns 57 in three weeks, not that he wants reminding of that haha. Like you I have been trying to trendify my hubby too, oh the pain lol
    Hope you all have a great weekend including your Super Bowl celebrations, I guess the closest we would have is our Australian Football League Grandfinal weekend in September which my husbands team have won four in a row !!
    Love Tilly ❤

Hi girls,

It’s another grey, drizzly day here in Southern California. More of the same expected for the entire day tomorrow. Y’all know how that makes me feel! 🙁

Anyhow, our Super Bowl party was fun. We had a wood burning fire going the entire time because it was so FREEZING here! I made cheese and sausage stuffed baked jalapeno peppers, sweet potato, jalapeno, cheese and bacon puffs and my hubby made baby back ribs. I also made coconut milk chocolate ice cream balls. Our friends brought a big fruit salad which was nice to take break from all the hot/spicy things we were having! Well, I ate a little too much but it was all healthy. Better I guess than eating too much of bad stuff! While I’m sure I gained weight, I don’t have that bad food “hang over” that I’d get if I ate a bunch of sugar!

Lori, did you have or go to a Super Bowl party? Did your son have a nice birthday? Are you still holding on your 2 lbs lost?

Tilly, great job on the good eating and the nice fitting dress! Makes it all worthwhile, huh?! Best of luck hitting your magic number this week of below 60kg! Ha, ha on your son’s age! Maybe it’s Sue I’m thinking of that has a younger son at home? I was somewhat successful in “trendifying” my hubby with his birthday clothes. As anticipated, he kept about 1/4 of the things I bought. Unfortunately, a few of the shirts I picked up on accident must have been from the very young men’s area and they were too narrowly cut to fit properly! Yes, what we go through to keep these guys “current” 😉 !

I’m fasting today to undo yesterday’s transgressions. Trying to stick with last Friday’s fast day eating plan where I lost a little over a pound. Fingers crossed it works again!

Have a great evening ladies! 🙂

Sherry

Hi all,
    Sherry sounds like you had a great Super Bowl party, the foods sounds delicious. I succumbed to birthday cake although it was only a small piece. My brothers wife had made a chocolate caramel cake, it was so moist and yummy. It was served warm with berries, tasted a bit like steamed chocolate pudding 😋 I ended up fasting the rest of the day so maintained my weight yay
    Fast day today so hoping to see a 5 at the start… hoping 🤞
    Beautiful sunshine here today, although I’m inside doing housework. Have been to the gym today though, didn’t get there yesterday. Ran errands in the morning, lunch (healthy roasted mushrooms and ricotta) with my girlfriends then grocery shopping. Had intended to go after that but our son was unwell and required me to run him to the Drs ( he was dizzy and not fit to drive) then he needed blood tests and an ECG. Gets results on Thursday praying it’s nothing serious. Consequently I didn’t get to the gym 😏
    Better get back to my cleaning, mopping floors next…good cardio hahaha
    Love Tilly xx

Tilly, hope your son is okay!!

Sherry, glad your party was fun. I wasn’t feeling great this weekend so we just watched at home–I did see the exciting parts, though!

Lori, I’m kind of in limbo fasting, too. One real one each week and several modified. I really want to get my bmi at least in the low 25s….

Sue, a few years ago I got an exercise ball chair. It is on wheels and has arms, but it does help with posture and my back hasn’t hurt since I got it. It is terribly ugly, though, haha.

I have a check-in in less than two weeks so I really want to get back on the wagon for a bit! Hold me to it, please!!!!

Thank you Carolina, he seems ok today. He had chest pain, racing heart and then a full on panic attack in the early hours of Monday. The Dr doesn’t think it’s his heart but she wanted an ECG just to make sure. But she has run a full blood analysis. So we shall see. 😕
    Trying to keep busy today on my FD. I find if I haven’t got a lot to do I tend to nibble 😬 Just mopped all the kitchen, meals and family room floors. Mopped myself to the couch so I will sit here for a few minutes whilst the floor dries haha.
    Keep strong ladies, we can do this. Look at how far we have come.
    Love Tilly xx

Hey Tilly and anyone else who wants the yummy recipes: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/jalapeno-cheddar-sweet-potato-puffs/

Whoops, here’s the other one! http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sausage-stuffed-jalapenos

Geez Tilly! Hope your son is Ok! Elizabeth/Carolina, didn’t your son have a similar episode or am I confusing you with someone else on this thread from prior? Sounds like you’re getting the cleaning cardio going! You could probably make $ doing a video on that! 😉

Elizabeth, good to see you again! Glad you’re still working at it. I know, I had a check up scheduled late January but postponed till late March so as to get back down (hopefully) to where I was prior to Xmas. I want to have the best possible chance at better cholesterol readings! We’re holding you to it! Check in more often so we can! 😉

good night!

Good Morning everyone!

Sherry, your party sounds awesome. We did not attend a party. The husband and I just watched the game here at home. I actually didn’t watch the whole thing. I went to bed during the 3rd qtr, so I missed all the excitement. I was hoping the Falcons would win……I always root for the underdog!

I haven’t weighed myself this week, but I think I’m holding my own. I’ve been staying low carb and doing ok. Next Monday(my birthday), my sister is taking me to the Spa at the Hotel Hershey. We will have a lovely body treatment and then lunch while lounging in our robes. As you would expect, being at the Hotel Hershey(chocolate), the desserts will be decadent. Not to mention there are chocolates on offer all around the spa. Oh my! Then a few days after that, we leave for FL to get on a cruise ship! I’m just trying to stay on course until then. I’ll be having to “right the ship” when I return.

Well, nearly time for boot camp. Oh…I am keeping up with my walking challenge and have logged over 110 miles so far in 2017. On my way to 1,000!

Take care everyone!

Hi all. Sounds like we’re all holding our own. FD yesterday another on Thursday although I’m out for dinner that night so not sure how it will go. A spa in Hershey sounds lovely! I manage a pedicure once in a while but that’s it.
    I am the one with the young son, he’s 13, 14 in March. He’s away on a school trip Wednesday to Friday so a bit of a break from cooking.
    Expecting freezing rain this morning then rain this aft. Am hoping to get into work before it starts and then home after its just slush.
    Hope all are well!
    Sue

Hello again. Fast day here and I’m hoping to do well. I had some nervous eating last week–camping out in the house and making big decisions kind of pushed me over the edge. It’s also more difficult to exercise. Very silly as people have much worse problems.

Sue, I have a 13 year old, too. Mine’s a girl, though! I have a 21 yo son in college.

Lori, have a wonderful spa day. Forget about rules for the day. It’s worth it. I have a massage coupon from a fund raiser that I need to use. I don’t know the place so I’m a little hesitant but I need to schedule it!

Tilly, glad your son’s okay. We haven’t had that exact issue but both I and my daughter had to wear heart monitors–me because of palpitations, which I still have, including very brief Atrial fibrillation. My daughter had difficulty breathing that we now think is due to the reflux or reflux-like issues she has. I don’t know what is going on with her, to be honest. Right now the plan is to go on elimination diets periodically and when things start to get bad. It’s difficult with a 13 yo.

Better run! EJ

Hi!

Nothing much going on here today…pilates, shopping, cooking, dealing with an irate 16 year old…the usual!

Problem with the 16 year old was she “decided” about a month ago that she didn’t like the private school we send her to and that “all” her friends were leaving next year to attend other schools so she wanted to leave as well. In particular, she wanted to attend a magnet charter public high school her best friend wanted to go to. Well, tonight was the open house and lottery enrollment. An hour before we were supposed to leave, she “decided” 🙁 she didn’t want to go anymore! Mind you, we were excited about all the extra programs this school offered, especially for kids like her with ADD, and the fact it was FREE! All H_ll broke loose after that as you can imagine. My one twin had a belly ache so I had to stay home but we made the 16 year old go with my husband. Turns out it was a waste of time because despite what we had been told prior, the school was full up and only had online courses with a waiting list available at this time…not even the lottery! Needless to say, daughter was smug & happy. AAAARGH!

My eating was ok today…not great, not bad. I roasted a couple chickens tonight and will do two more tomorrow so I can make my bone broth tomorrow and do one more 4 day cleanse before I leave for Hawaii next week. My goodness it’s coming quick and I’m not ready for it.

Lori, I’m betting there’s some spa treatments there in Hershey that involve painting you in chocolate! We went to the Hershey factory on our oldest daughter’s 8th grade East Coast trip. We each got to make our own concoction of Hershey’s bar with various ingredients in the factory with our own customized label. It was fun. We all smelled like chocolate when we left! What a fun time you will have! Where’s the cruise to again and for how long?

Sue & Elizabeth, how’re your 13 year olds? Is he as difficult as my 11 and 16 year old kids? I’m just a tad stressed today from kids as you can tell from the above rant!

Elizabeth, did you in fact do an elimination diet with your daughter yet this year? I know you said you were starting one soon. I still can’t believe no one can pinpoint exactly what’s going on with your daughter! What are they doing for you with the A-Fib?

Got to get the kids moving in the direction of bed. Good night!

Oh Sherry….those teen years. ACK!!! I hope everything works out for your daughter..and you!

You guessed it on the spa treatment in Hershey. The treatment we are having is called “Chocolate dipped Strawberry”. First is a body scrub with strawberry scent, then they rinse you and paint you with “chocolate” and wrap you in a heated blanket. Then they let you just relax for a bit. Then another rinse and your choice of either chocolate or strawberry lotion. I have had the treatment before…it is heavenly. The whole thing takes about 90 minutes.

The cruise is only a 5 night one. It goes from Ft Lauderdale to Haiti & Jamaica. We have no plans for the islands, other than probably going to the beach. I’m looking forward to a change in routine and the sun!

Eating has been ok this week. The scale is down a small bit. I did a new activity last night. I went to Yoga. There is a studio just a mile from me that has $5 Tuesdays during February. I thought I’d give it a try. It was a workout! I’ll go back, as they have morning classes on offer too. I’m more of a morning person. A couple times a week will do me good.

Enough of my rambling. I hope you are all well and looking forward to Spring.

Hello again,

Lori, I love yoga! I haven’t made it this year but soon….

Sherry, that would have put me over the edge, too!!! My 13 yo is pretty easy, knock on wood, but we have paid our dues with our son. My daughter’s thing is she is an EXTROVERT and the rest of us are introverts. She is a people pleaser, too, which can be great but has a lot of downsides, too. At least we know to talk about it and she’s had practice saying no with her brother, etc. She also wears me out with dance.

The atrial fib I have is just incidental. I take a beta blocker for migraines and palpitations. It’s not perfect but it’s okay for now.

I blew my FD a bit last night with cheese and crackers. I’m not doing too bad with the scale somehow so I hope I can get in gear and make progress!!!

Hi guys,

Today was pioneer day for my twin 4th graders. They had “Grammy Bee”, an elderly woman with baking experience and lots of stories from her relatives and the old days of the 1800’s come visit. We moms helped Grammy make bread from scratch with the kids. I love to cook/bake but have never made yeast bread from scratch. The kneading/rising part has always intimidated me! Plus, who wants the temptation of freshly baked bread in the house?! Not moi! When we were first married, my hubby bought me a bread machine for an anniversary I think it was and we made tons of bread for the first month until we realized we were getting REALLY FAT and had to stop! The machine now resides at the bottom of my pantry?! 🙁 Anyhow, kids had fun and I ate my first piece of gluten-y white bread in ages. It was yummy but gummy (prob didn’t cook long enough?). It was a long day!

Got one batch of bone broth done today in the pressure cooker and two more chickens roasting to make broth out of them tonight too. The hubby is joining me in this 4 day cleanse so we need to make extra chickens.

Thanks for all the condolences re: my bratty 16 year old. Today she was pissed off at me because I questioned the mom of her friend who’s having an overnight birthday party for her daughter. They’re renting a big house with a pool/Jacuzzi and watching scary movies. I had some questions re: some questionable kids that were going. I guess I’m just supposed to let her do anything she wants without question, huh? NOT!

Lori, that spa experience sounds heavenly. I think I’d be licking chocolate off my arm during! The cruise sounds fun! I’ve been to the Dominican Republic on the other side of Haiti (during the major earthquake there but we didn’t feel it in the DR weirdly!)-beautiful and to Jamaica for our honeymoon.

Elizabeth, good for you that you at least have one “easy” one. We too have ONE easy one out of FOUR! Not great odds! 🙁 Glad they have the AFib under control but hoping they find a better solution for you! Doesn’t it make you mad when you do good the whole day fasting and then blow it later. ARGH!

Time for dinner. Have a good night ladies! 🙂

Hi all,
    Sherryann a word of encouragement with the 16year old girl. You will get your dear daughter back when she finishes high school !!
    Our daughter, who is 26 and married now was absolutely awful all through her high school years. I used to say to my husband what happened to our dear little girl. I was apparently the meanest mum out of her friends and I was ruining her life every weekend. (Never mind that a number of her friends loved to sit and chat with me, and called me mum 2) When she turned 18 it was like a new person arrived in our home.
    She is now a high school teacher and laughs about how terrible she was. She sees things from a very different perspective now. We can laugh about it now, but we set safe boundaries for her and her older brothers and it has paid off. I look at other families now with kids the same age and they have had so many more issues with their kids. We are parents first and friends second. I think some parents forget that. Anyway that’s my two cents worth 😉
    Had a good week with the eating, finally saw that 5 at the start yay. Hot and dry here today, our temp gauge outside said 40 deg c phew
    Love Tilly xx

Hello ladies..

I know I have been silent for a couple of months, but I am back on track (again!!).. and missing all of you.

I hope to log in much more.

Salma

Salma!!! So good to “see” you again! When you have time, please let us know how you’re doing and what you’ve been up to. How is your work going?

Hope to see you soon!

Hi Ladies,

A quick pop in instead of my usual novel!. Thanks Tilly! I’ve heard that from other women re: that the kids mature and “come back” to you later on. I hope it’s true with this one.

Salma, welcome back home!

Half a day of cleansing under my belt. I’m tired and grumpy though. Not sleeping well lately. Everything seems to be irritating at night…my leg getting a cramp, the husband snoring, waking up randomly for no reason. I hate the lack of hormones! I want the old carefree, sleep through the night me back! 🙁 She’s been gone for 8 years (menopause!).

Anyhow, have a good one girls. I’ve got so much to get done my brain wants to explode right now!

Viewing 50 posts - 4,451 through 4,500 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.