Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,401 through 4,450 (of 5,077 total)

• Good Morning!

Sherry…good luck getting everything done in between taking care of your sick family. You are amazing. I don’t do any baking, but the husband brought home a basket of goodies from his part time job yesterday. Ugh. I succumbed and ate 3 PB cookies….and a piece of fudge….and a pecan tart. Need I say that I feel awful today? Low carb/high fat all day today for me.

I was talking to the program director at the Recreation Authority where my husband works yesterday about doing something with my nutrition certification in the new year. We may offer a program of one on one counseling and support….details to be ironed out.

Today I’m going to do some reading and just hang out. Tomorrow there is a little Christmas party at my old office. It’s going to feel funny to walk back in there. I guess I’ll go, but I’m really not looking forward to it. Weird, right?

Happy Holidays to you all. Don’t let the stress of the season steal the joy.

((Hugs))

Hi Everyone,
    I hope that you don’t mind me adding this to your thread, but I have just finished reading Jason Fung ‘The Obesity Code’ via my kindle, and feel that I just have to share. Please read. So inspired I am on my second 24 hour fast. Finally the scales have started to move after so very long. Fung clearly explains why it is important what you eat but that it is also important when you eat or not.Make it your Christmas gift to yourself to read this.

Hello. Isn’t life grand!
    I had an excellent old style fast day yesterday…
    And then this morning the special treat of a cuppa with Lael (and P, hi!) with so much lovely conversation and delicious things to try from the gorgeous salad menu and blue corn taco!
    I came home to rest for a while but then I hit the op shops for cardboard fun books for my granddaughter, and I found about a dozen. (Plus some amazing ones to hide away for another year or two). I’ll wrap them up so she has a pile to open on Christmas day. There is even one for the three month old!
    I’ve my granddaughter overnight so it is busy here! See you later!

Good morning! A quick pop in from rainy, cool So. Cal! My hubby and I got rained on during our walks both yesterday and today! It is great weather for getting all the baking done today and tomorrow (fingers crossed I accomplish it ALL!). The one darn thing I’m missing and couldn’t find at the grocers yesterday was molasses! I can’t make my famous mini gingerbread people without it! I have my hubby on the hunt for it this morning while he does some last minute Xmas shopping.

I’ve been trying to mix in my bone broth cleanse in between office parties, etc. to try to heal my tummy from all those antibiotics I had to take for the bladder infection. I’ve been having issues after the antibiotics even though I took probiotics, waiting 3 hours after taking the antibiotics to be sure it didn’t kill the good probiotics. Sigh!

Lori, that would be great if you could utilize your nutrition certification to help others! Hope it happens for you! I wish I could let the stress not steal the joy of the season. It’s hard with so much to do (and the kids fighting doesn’t help!). It seems like a saw your area as being unseasonably warm on the weather map today

Cinque, good to see you pop in. I hope your granddaughters enjoy their books!

Have a good day all!

Hello…..I’m doing so so with the challenges of this time of year. I had a decent fast day and a modified one another day but then I’ve also had sweet breads and we went out to eat and there are snacks, etc. etc. And I’m still not getting much chance to walk although I’ll try to get a short one in here in a bit.

We have good news, bad news on the endoscopy for my daughter. Everything came out normal so I don’t need to worry about causing her damage or feel guilty for not being on a strong med BUT we still don’t really understand why she has these issues–regurgitation, heartburn, etc. I think we will just have to go back to treating it as best we can and eliminating trouble foods for times as needed.

Sherry, antibiotics always cause trouble for me and my kids as well even though I also use mega high quality probiotics. I think it’s a little unavoidable. In fact, some of my daughter’s flare ups were after antibiotics.

Cinque, I know you will have fun with those little girls!!

Welcome, Annette! I have read some of Fung’s writings. Very interesting.

Lori, how was the party??

Hmm, what happens when I am tired, and subscribed to more than one thread! My last cryptic post was because I met a 5:2er from the Southern Hemispherites thread! Very special!
    Still tired and looking after my granddaughter!

Hello everyone,

Carolina, I know that feeling, you are so glad it is not something dreadfu. but Oh to know what it is! Hope something happens to explain it and to help! best wishes.

Best wishes to Sherry and Lori and Tilly and Sue also!

Hello again, quick pop in.
    Hope everyone isn’t too stressed and enjoying the preparations for this special time of year. I have a plan of attack and so far mine is going well. Hubbys not so much. Has been working hard making two beautiful tables for Christmas lunch before mowing the lawns this morning. Tables finished and they look amazing, just started the lawns, we live on 6 acres so a lot of mowing and the mower blew up oil everywhere 😳😳 Fortunately I did the back lawn on Wednesday night after dinner but that’s only 1/3 of it. Hoping and praying it’s an easy fix !!
    Carolina my son in law had an endoscopy yesterday too, his Doctor has diagnosed probable coeliac for him. His symptoms were similar to your daughters. So frustrating when you have to wait for a diagnosis.
    Anyway back to the plan, next is entree for Christmas Eve dinner at my sister in laws.
    Blessings all
    Tilly xxx

Hi ladies,

I’m sure I won’t have time to pop in and say hello over the next two days so I just wanted to take this time to say a very “Merry Christmas” to you and that I’m thankful to have you all to chat with and share this journey of becoming healthier together!

It has been raining here for what seems like forever. It was so bad today, my husband and I couldn’t even get out for a walk. It did break for a while later in the day but by then I was knee deep in Christmas prep. Today was spent entirely baking and a quick run out to pick up some things I was missing. I have my huli huli chicken marinating in the frig and will put the kalua pork in the crock pot at 7 am to have ready by 5 pm. Tomorrow I have to get the appetizers (or pu pu’s as they say in Hawaii) ready, mix the make ahead cocktails and clean up around here. Very exhausting, but I guess it’s just once per year!

Tilly, at least you seem to have it all under control! How nice the tables your husband made sound! And a lovely lunch outside for Christmas? That sounds so nice!

Elizabeth, I’m so happy they didn’t find anything horribly wrong with your daughter, but I can see how frustrating it is to still not have a complete idea as to what’s going on. Well, at least getting rid of the troubling foods seems to help, right? Best of luck with it all!

Cinque, I was a tad confused as to what you meant in the last post! Glad it’s cleared up! 😉 Have a wonderful Christmas with those little angels! Are you going to their house for Christmas day?

Hi to Sue and Lori too!

Ok ladies, talk to you after Christmas! Blessings to you all and enjoy your holiday!

Sherry

Good Morning!

Merry Christmas to you all!

Today we head to our daughter’s to spend this evening and tomorrow with her and her family. We’ll be home tomorrow afternoon and then it’s on to the Grands other Grandparents for a birthday party. Our youngest Grandson was born on Christmas day. He’ll be 8 tomorrow.

Sherry…I’m sure your party will be a smashing success. You make the yummiest sounding food and I know a good time will be had by all. Just don’t exhaust yourself in the process! Hope the sickness that was going thru your household has passed by now.

Cinque…enjoy those cuties! Such a lovely family. I’m sure you’ll have fun.

Excuse me for not doing more personals. It is early and I haven’t had coffee yet. 😉 I wish you all a wonderful Holiday season and all the best in the New Year!

Merry actual Christmas! We just returned from my sister’s house where we had Christmas day. Last night’s Christmas Eve party went well but we had a smaller turnout than expected…I have a lot of extended family and nieces and nephews who sometimes don’t make it because they’re going to their significant other’s families’ get togethers. It was nice, more intimate but we ended up having a lot of leftovers that will need to be frozen.

I have eaten entirely too much over the last week and especially over the last two days. I don’t know what’s come over me. Even in holidays past I haven’t gone this much overboard. I think part of it was the stress. My mom said she’s going to work with me to help make it easier next year with delegating more to others. We will see! Anyhow, after the twins go to a friend’s birthday party tomorrow afternoon (yes, the parties never end!), I want to pick up the makings for my cleanse and get on that straightaway.

Well, I hope you all were more successful than me in “keeping it together” with regard to food over the holiday!

Happy holidays!

Good Morning!

Well…..it is over! We had a nice time at our daughter’s. She had some friends over on Saturday night and we played games and talked and laughed….a good time all around. The boys got up about 7 yesterday and had a fabulous time opening all the gifts. We were home by about Noon yesterday. Last evening we went to the other Grands house for the birthday party. The adults were playing games and much hilarity ensued. I tried the drink called Rumchata…oh my. It goes down smoothly, but makes you silly in a hurry! 😉

We were late getting home and the cat got me up early. Sigh……I see a nap in my future. No boot camp all week as the studio is closed for the holiday. I should dust off my treadmill, but that’s not happening this morning!

Sherry….party leftovers? Oh no! Just what you want around when you’re trying to get back on plan, right? Glad that they can be frozen and kept for a later date. I’m sure you haven’t done as badly as you think. When you’ve been eating well, it doesn’t take much to make you feel as if you’ve really over done it. Your cleanse will have you feeling better soon.

Hope you all enjoyed your holiday and are now ready to get back to real life. Of course, we do have next weekend’s New Year celebrations to get thru, don’t we? We have no plans and will just sit at home and watch football. I may get some steamed shrimp for DH and me. Quiet.

Have a great week!

Good morning all! Made it
    Through without too many extras although caught myself eating homemade candy without really any thoight. Not feeling great today. I think when you’re careful what you eat, when you over indulge, on anything, your body is not
    Happy lol. More entertaining today. Husband invited a couple and their kids. We know them from our sons playing summer baseball. I like them, but traditionally in my family you sit around on Boxing Day (I’m in Canada). So I’m not impressed he asked them without asking ME first. He’s making turkey (we had steak yesterday), with all the fixings. So a lot of work and also were now nagging my son to tidy up his gifts etc. I plan to have a protein shake with lots of fruit for breakfast and then skip lunch. Fortunately I don’t like turkey lol so won’t be eating much dinner.
    For me, there is a sense of “oh, I’m ahead of the game,’it’s ok to gain a few pounds”, but that’s not an attitude that’s going to work long term for obvious reasons. 🙂
    I have lost about 14lbs since September. I had a mini-goal of 160lbs (I’m just 5 feet tall) by Christmas which I reached. Because I have at least another 20-30 to lose (seems so much!), I’ll be at this for quite a bit longer. I don’t want to slow down too much by going backwards. Plus I just feel better when I’m not eating a lot and a lot of unhealthy foods. Also when I’m seeing the numbers going down on the scale. I try to focus on 3-5lb losses at a time. Thinking I’m 40lbs away from a “good” weight it too big to handle psychologically.
    Anyway, good luck getting back on track and let’s be gentle with ourselves when we go off track. The holidays are tough with all the socializing and company and often emotional issues are present.
    Have a lovely day!!!
    Sue

Hi y’all!

Where are you?! I’m still recuperating from WAY too much sugary stuff over the holidays. I feel quite tubby and bloated! 🙁 Like you said Lori, the leftovers are the worst. I still have the weird hang-up that I must eat all the sugary stuff (it calls me!) and then I can start back on eating healthy. Soooo, on that note, finished off the last of the M&M chocolate chip cookies (after pawning off as many as I could on my kids and their friends!) yesterday afternoon. And btw, they were frozen as I was trying to save myself, but we all know cookies do not freeze so much as get really cold so you can still eat them easily! (sigh!) I was good the remainder of the day so that’s a move in a positive direction. Today I’m fasting. I had wanted to do the bone broth cleanse but couldn’t get it together and plus it’s been hard with the kids home. I don’t have a moment to myself hardly. I will start that probably on Sunday (if we don’t go to the snow that day) or Monday.

The weather here has been extremely weird. It was freezing cold (for us in CA) last week, along with a lot of rain. This week it’s been balmy and warm, almost tropical summer-like! It’s supposed to get back to being cold and rainy later this week. Geesh!

So to continue the crazy food and party business, we decided to have a last minute get together on New Years Eve with other local families who have kids who are friends of our kids. No one wants to drive far with all the crazys out driving on New Years and yet no one wanted to just sit home, so a party at our house was the solution! I think I’m going to just make a big pot of pea soup with a left over ham bone and some corn bread and salad (and probably a dessert or two since I am certifiably nuts!) and have the others bring appetizers and alcohol of some sort.

Well, hope you are all doing well and please drop a line here if you can. I’d love to know how everyone’s faring and any tips you have for getting back on the straight and narrow!

Bye! 🙂

Hi Sherry…….and anyone else who pops in!

Like you Sherry, I’m having trouble regaining my “eating right momentum”. Sigh…I do well until the afternoon/evening…then the wheels fall off. I haven’t managed a proper FD in I don’t know how long. I simply have to get things back in line!

I have set a rather lofty goal for myself for 2017 as far as exercise goes. I will continue to do boot camp 3-4 days a week and I have also joined a challenge to walk 1,000 miles in 2017. That is about 2.75 miles a day…..EVERY DAY! Of course, if you miss a day, you have to make it up at some point. There are a lot of people(6,000 on FB), from all over the world who are doing this challenge and who are just finishing the one from 2016. Amazing. It started in England, but has spread worldwide now. I would like to do most of the walking outdoors, so have ordered some cold weather walking gear to make me get out there. If it is less than 20 degrees, I won’t be going out. I have a treadmill just upstairs that will do fine. Wish me luck!

We are invited to a friend’s house for yet another party tonight. Just a small affair with wine & cheese etc. I’d rather stay at home. Sigh….

Well Sherry, let’s get a handle on this sugar monster, what do you say? I did stay away from the chocolate today, but just had a wee glass of Rumchata…..so sweet & rich. OY! Why did I buy it?

Hope the new year sees a surge in posting here. Really miss everyone who has been absent these past few weeks/months.

Talk soon!

Hi Lori (since it’s just you and me Babe!),

I did manage to tame the sugar monster today (yay for small victories!). How about you? I’ve never had Rumchata…what is it?

The walking challenge sounds awesome! I got a fit bit for myself and my oldest daughter who needs to drop about 30 lbs. She just got her blood tested and her cholesterol levels are high. Finally I think it’s sinking in that she needs to drop the weight and eat healthier since this is a major health risk. So she’s been really upping her exercise over the last few days with the fit bit pushing her. I pray it continues. It’s tricky with diabetes…she exercises and her blood sugars drop really quickly and then she needs to eat something sugary to get them back up. It’s a bad cycle. I’m thinking she needs to stop the flow of insulin from her pump while exercising. I’m going to talk to her doc at her next appointment about this and trying to lose the weight.

I’m still wondering how I allowed myself to get involved in cooking/ entertaining again so soon for tomorrow night? I feel the stress building again. Something to work on for my New Year’s resolution!

The warm weather is gone and it’s back to cold and rainy here…including expected rain tomorrow night. Bummer because it’s so nice to throw the noisy kids outside when the weather permits, which now obviously isn’t going to happen (sigh!).

Well, a very Happy New Year to you all as I will be cooking and entertaining all day tomorrow and probably won’t be able to pop in. I have a GREAT feeling about 2017! I think we are all going to have a very healthy, successful year on the weight front! 🙂

Talk to you in 2017!

Hi! I’m here!! Did not do as badly as I had feared. Of course haven’t weighed myself. I’ll leave that pleasure for next ask bit clothes are fitting ok still. I think family stress makes me eat too.
    Am totally out of the fasting routine now too. Will get back on board Tuesday and I’m sure my body will be happier with me. I did manage yoga Wednesday night. Small class. Only 4 of us but was nice to move my body in a way that didn’t involve eating lol.
    Happy new year to everyone!!! Let’s all be kinder to ourselves in 2017, and be proud of what we’ve accomplished so far rather than bearing ourselves up over small setbacks.
    Sue

Hi all, I’m here too.
    Like you Sherryann got myself into another entertaining gig tonight NY eve!! Good thing is I don’t have to go out so I can eat well without the stress of eating food others have prepared. At least I know what I have put into my own cooking. Although tonight is a BBQ and salads so not too bad. One friend is bringing tiramisu which I don’t like so won’t eat but another is bringing something else which I’m not sure about. Oh well will try really hard to be good sigh not so easy with all this entertaining.
    On a positive note did manage two fast days this past week so was able to pull off the couple of pounds I put on over Christmas 😁
    Weather is still warm here in Melbourne, after our torrential rain Thursday it’s fined up again. We had two inches of rain in a couple of hours here at home. ☔️☔️☔️☔️☔️ My daughter and I got caught out in it trying to benefit from the post Christmas sales, fortunately it wasn’t cold just wet haha
    Anyway Happiest of New Years to all.
    Love Tilly ❤

Good Morning Sherry, Sue & Tilly!

Glad to know there are a few of us hanging around.

The only person I’ll be entertaining tonight is my DH(dear husband). We will be staying home. I’m going to have some shrimp and bake a piece of tenderloin. Sauteed mushrooms for me and some sort of starch for him. Easy! I’m quite sure I’ll be in bed WAY before midnight since I am up at 4:30 this morning(as usual).

Sherry…I wish your daughter good luck in her weight loss efforts. I’m sure dropping weight while using an insulin pump is a struggle. Is she Type 1? Hope you enjoy your Fitbits. I bought a smart watch that I’m hoping to use for keeping me on track. I had a fitness tracker(Garmin), but it started making me break out on my wrist, so I upgraded to the smart watch. I just got it yesterday and spent the day playing with it. I think I have it pretty well figured out. Tomorrow starts my walking challenge, so I’ll be giving it a good test.

Tomorrow is also weigh in day. I KNOW it’s not going to be pretty. I’ve been just eating whatever for weeks now and I’m sure the number will be shocking. Back to fasting and low carb for me, not to mention back to boot camp and now lots of walking added to the mix!

Thank you all for your support and friendship this past year. I look forward to sharing 2017 with you!

Happy New Year 2017 all!

I just got up at about 10 am this morning after being up till 2:30 cleaning up after our party. I had to do it because I just hate waking up to a mess the morning after a party and plus the nasty ants were already attacking the kitchen counter. Usually we don’t have to deal much with them in the winter but not this year!

Well our smallish (just 3 couples and their kids…one couple had to bail out last minute due to illness) party went well. All had a great time! I of course was cooking like a crazy woman up until the event, but thank God this time I did “go overboard” as my husband always says. I didn’t tell anyone what I was making. I told everyone to bring “heavy appetizers” and one brought thin sliced eggplant stuffed with sour cream and another brought bacon wrapped green beans. The third couple brought a Caesar salad that they dressed before they left and it was a soggy mess once they got here. Not exactly “heavy apps”. So, thank God I made two big crockpots of food: split pea soup and chili and cornbread, plus a buffalo chicken and cheese dip appetizer! Most of it was gone except for the cornbread by the end of the night. We got a giant pizza for the kids. I just made sugar free desserts so my one diabetic daughter wouldn’t go nuts sneaking goodies (like she typically does at parties!) and driving up her blood sugars all night…it worked thank goodness.

Ahhh, so now I can breathe a sigh of relief that all the entertaining of the holiday season is over and I can concentrate my efforts on getting the lbs. off that I’ve gained since Thanksgiving. Lori, you are so brave. I’m not getting on the scale for probably a month! REALLY! 😉

Lori, I haven’t had a chance to play with my Fitbit yet but my daughter seems to be loving hers. I figured out that she just needs to “suspend” /stop the flow of insulin that lowers the blood sugar whenever she exercises so that she doesn’t get to low and pass out. It seemed to be working good the last day or so of doing this. I think she’s very motivated now between the doctor’s diagnosis and having the Fitbit giving her feedback.

Tilly, how did your New Years party go? The fireworks in Australia are always so spectacular when we see them a day early on our TV’s! Wish I didn’t like tiramisu, but unfortunately there aren’t too many desserts I don’t like! 😉

Sue, yes, let’s be kinder to ourselves (but still hold ourselves accountable!) in 2017! Glad that you feel the damage too your weight hasn’t been all that bad!

We’ve had so much rain here lately and it’s been so chilly that we have lots of snow in our local mountains about 1 1/2 hours away. So, we’re taking the kids along with my sister and her children to the snow tomorrow. Today will be spent getting all the snow gear/clothing ready and packing food for the trip, including LOTS of hot cocoa!

It is GREAT to see Sue and Tilly jumping back in! Hoping to see Elizabeth (Carolina) and our fearless leader/originator of this thread, Miss Salma back again this year!

Have a great day ladies!

Sherry

Morning all,
    New Years went well. Had a bit too much in the cheese and biscuits department. My non tiramisu dessert was a raspberry meringue dish which I had a small amount of to be polite hehe. Had first fast day for the year yesterday and doing another today. We have another party tomorrow night for a friends birthday so I’m getting them in beforehand. I weighed myself this morning and I’m 200grams over my mid time weight goal!! I keep bouncing around above it but just haven’t got there yet. Hopefully tomorrow morning after my second fast day.
    Weather has turned cool and wet for the past few days, a welcome break after our hot spell. It’s warming up again later this week.
    Anyway back to my new year clean out, started yesterday trying to condense all my 29 year old sons stuff that he has stashed in a few rooms. I figured if I could condense it to just two rooms instead of four I may actually get my sewing room back 😏 Love having him here but will be glad when he can move out again.
    Have a good one all
    Love Tilly xx

Hi all! Back to my first fast day since December 22. Have not weighed myself because I don’t want the psychological damage, lol.
    Clothes are ok still so I haven’t gained too much I don’t think. I’m sure my body will be very happy today to process only 500 calories of healthy foods today. Threw out the remains of my baking and also am bringing a bag of miscellaneous candy into work. This is for my husband too, who will eat anything that isn’t nailed down between 9-bedtime at night. Even gross, stale candy, lol. Nice to get back to my work routine.
    Raining here and supposed to continue for a couple days. I guess all our snow will melt….better than freezing rain!
    Have a good day, all!!

Good Morning!

Sounds like we’re all ready to get back into our routines. With my added walking challenge, my new routine may kill me! Today I did boot camp and then a 3 mile walk outside before the rain hits. I’m one tired pup!

Eating is going good this week, so I’m hopeful that I’ll be able to drop some of the 5 lb holiday gain. It’ll happen when it happens.

Not really fasting at the moment. Just eating to hunger and cutting out all sugar. Baby steps.

Have a great day!

Hello friends!

We had a nice day up in the mountains playing in the snow yesterday. It was a long day though…an hour and 45 minutes each way driving. My sister and her kids and my niece and her two boys joined us.

As I promised myself, I started my cleanse today. Bringing the hubby along for the ride as he feels he needs it too! I pressure cooked some chicken bones that were frozen with all the rest of the stuff needed to make bone broth. I have four more organic chickens roasting in the oven right now, some of which we will all eat tonight and the bones of which will be used for bone broth tomorrow. I’m hoping I will feel like a new woman at the end of the cleanse in four days or at least going a step in the right direction toward taking off the holiday poundage! I feel very yucky in my clothes right now which does not make me happy given how good I was doing a short while ago!

Good job Tilly getting in two fast days already. Sounds like you’ve kept the holiday damage to a minimum.

Sue, I’m with you… not weighing yet so as not to psychologically damage myself! 😉

Lori, good luck with the new exercise routine! You are awesome! I’m guessing my holiday damage is somewhere between 5-8 lbs. I don’t want to know.

Very grey, kind of depressing weather here today. Looks like it wants to rain again but we don’t have any due until possibly tomorrow. It doesn’t help with my mood!

Ok, oven is beeping so I have to get those chickens out and cover them in foil for a bit to soak in all those good juices!

Fingers crossed we all get back on track! 🙂

Hi all,

Thought I’d check in as it’s been a few days and no one has posted since I last did! Where is everyone?

I’m doing ok over here. Tomorrow is the last day of the four day cleanse for myself and the hubby. We’ve done well so far and it hasn’t been too bad. Nice having a partner to do it with! I don’t think I’m going to weigh after the cleanse is finished. I think I’m waiting till the end of the month!

Did my second pilates session of the week today and my core muscles are a little sore, which is good I suppose. How’s your workouts going, Lori?

How’s everyone else doing with their eating plans and life in general?
    Would love to hear from you all and especially Cinque whom we haven’t heard from in quite a while!

Good night,

Sherry

Hi Sherry & everyone!

Well…I had a great start to my workout year, but it came to a screeching halt on Thursday. I got sick. A terrible bout of gastroenteritis. I was SO sick. Now it’s Friday morning and I feel a bit better, but can tell I’m still not right. It’s a quick way to lose 3 lbs, but I wouldn’t recommend it! So, I’ve fallen behind on my walking already. In order to catch up for the week, I’ll have to walk 4.5 miles both today and tomorrow. Not sure if I’ll be up for that. Plus, it’s very cold outside 24F right now. High of 29F. Brrrr…. If I walk, it may be on the treadmill.

Sherry…on your cleanse, do you not eat anything for 4 days? I’m sure that would do something for you! ACK! Hope you continue to enjoy your pilates class.

As for me, I’m just trying to get over this sickness. I will get on the treadmill today, I just have to. I’m shooting for a morning session and an afternoon session instead of spending an hour or so in one shot. I think that will be more tolerable. I had big plans of 4 boot camp sessions this week, but only made it for 2 🙁 What can you do?

I am certainly missing our friends here. Cinque, Salma and all the rest.

Take care and have a good weekend!

Hi all, Lori that’s brutal about your illness – not the greatest way to lose weight! We have flu going around now, one co-worker off all week, hasn’t been here since before Cmas! All the visiting I think and kissing and hugging lol….take care of yourself, do your walking, but realize your body is weak from being sick.

I did two fast days this week and was pleased to see I was back to my pre-Cmas weight. That was a relief! I knew I had gained, but didn’t think it was too much because my clothes were pretty much the same, but I didn’t restrict myself much at all in terms of eating. However, I did sometimes skip lunch when I knew we were having a big dinner etc.

I don’t think I could do a 4 day cleanse! Or even 2 fast days in a row – sometimes the only thing that gets me through a fast day is thinking about the food I’ll eat the next day, lol., but then the next day comes and I’ve lost that urge to overeat, thank God.

Bitterly cold here and a wind that cuts right through you – no walks for me!

Take care!
    Sue

Hi Lori and Sue! Glad to see there’s still some life on this thread! Hello to all you other MIA ladies whom we hope to hear from soon!

Geez, Lori! So sorry about you being so sick! My husband is on the way to pick up my 16 year old who had the stomach flu day before yesterday but apparently still isn’t feeling well. At least there’s that 3lb bonus…if we look at the glass as half full! ;). The cleanse I do is the same one I’ve been talking about for over a year: 4 days of morning tea with lemon juice, tumeric, ginger and cinnamon; homemade bone broth with spinach or cabbage or broccoli for each meal plus two eggs fried in coconut oil at breakfast; and 3-4 ounces of chicken or turkey at lunch and dinner and 1 cup berries for dessert. Oh, and a green drink in the afternoon which I call my healthy mojito smoothie: coconut water blended with kale, parsley, cucumber, celery, mint leaves and lime juice with a little stevia for sweetness (it’s actually pretty good…all you taste is the mint and lime really). This cleanse is super good for your body (inflammation, healing the gut, etc.) and it’s one I try to do monthly for 4 days.

Sue, you lucky lady! Already at your pre-Xmas weight! Good for you (wish I was you!).

Yesterday we had non-stop dreary, cold rain and thankfully today it’s cloudy with a lot of sunshine. You know me, I get depressed from too many days of “blah” no-sun weather!

Have a lovely day girls! 🙂

Hi all,
    Just back from my regular Saturday morning walk and breakfast. We started a little earlier this morning as our predicted temperature for today is around 98F !!
    That’s not an advisable way to lose weight Lori you poor thing, but I guess it’s the silver lining 😏
    Heading off to a BBQ lunch with my husbands cyclist friends today, I really hope they have an air conditioner. MS and heat don’t mix well. Taking my umbrella and a fan I think !
    The cleanse sounds interesting Sherryann might have to give that a go at some point. I did manage my two fast days this past week. So much easier once all the festivities are over.
    Had my weigh and measure at the gym Thursday. Had actually lost weight over Christmas yay me. Not sure how but hey I’ll take it lol My measurements were all down too.
    Anyway have a great weekend all. Stay warm for the northern hemisphere people and stay cool for we Southern Hemisphere peoples.
    Love Tilly xx

Hello!

Hope you all had a great weekend! We didn’t do much- a lot of puttering around taking down & putting away Christmas decorations. Yesterday after our normal hour walk, my husband and I took the girls for their tennis lesson and decided to bring our rackets and play on an open court. I hadn’t really played in years as I’ve been afraid to ever since my back injury in my mid forties. We played for an hour and I’m happy to report that other than normal muscle soreness from doing a new activity, I feel fine! So, maybe I can start up playing tennis again at least once a week!

Another neat fitness-related activity I tried this weekend is the “7 minute workout” from Alexa/Echo ( you just ask her to “enable the 7 minute workout”). Do any of you have one? If so, it’s a pretty good exercise routine that she puts you through in those 7 minutes- things like chair tricep dips, planks, etc. I definitely felt it in my chest and triceps today. I’m sure you, Lori, would be able to do it with ease since you do boot camp so much.

I’ve thankfully been doing good with my eating since ending the cleanse 2 days ago and will most likely fast tomorrow. Tonight I made zucchini noodles (zoodles!) with my new spiralizer Santa put in my stocking 😉 . I had them with a yummy bolognese I’d made. Not bad! A pretty good stand in for pasta!

Tillly, how was your lunch get together? Was the weather ok? My friend with MS deals with the same overheating issues & she carries around some sort of special cloth that you wet and shake and it gets very cold. She then puts it on her neck and it helps her a lot. Whenever they meet us in Hawaii , she always has it handy. Great job losing since Xmas! So envious of you & Sue for that!

Time to turn in for the night. Hoping to hear from our other friends On this thread this week coming up!

Hi there,
    Well we survived our hot spell thankfully. Appreciating the cooler day today only 25 deg c 😉
    Sherryann the lunch went well, fortunately they have air conditioning so I was able to stay inside most of the afternoon. And I was pretty good with my eating.
    My friend was talking about the 7minute workout yesterday. She is very time poor so it works really well for her. I was going to have a look at it today.
    Hope all our missing members are doing ok.
    Take care all
    Tilly xx

Good Morning!

Sherry…I have the Echo Dot..the 7 minute workout sounds interesting. I’m planning on 4 days of boot camp this week along with my walking. 11 degrees this morning and I’m not looking forward to heading out at 5:30AM! I’ll be hitting the treadmill again later today unless I brave 25 degrees and walk outside. Seems unlikely.

My eating has been so so. Not really losing weight, so that should tell me that it hasn’t been good! Hard for me to focus when it’s so cold. Want food for comfort, I guess.

Time to get Monday started. Have a great week!

Hi all. You’re all so good about exercise! I am not a morning person so can’t bear the thought of exercise in the morning, not even walking the dog. Right now all I’m doing is yoga twice a week, once harder class with more weight bearing exercise and one that’s more “mind” based which I need emotionally. Tennis sounds fun, Sherryann! I got back into yoga in early December after several years hiatus, and I feel proud when I’m able to do a pose I found difficult at first when I went back in December. Sometimes I go to escape the house for a while, lol…..
    Snowing a bit here, we’re expecting another possible 10cm over night and into tomorrow morning’s commute – I don’t live far from work at all, maybe 7 minutes, but those 7 minutes drag out when you add weather into the mix! I’m in Canada, so we should be used to this, but some people still drive way, way too fast for the weather and road conditions.
    Enjoy your day!!!

Hi girls,

Just finished “house walking” 🚶🏼for an hour since its raining again today. We have a treadmill but it’s been put in the garage for lack of space. Can’t wait for the day we can hopefully remodel and gave a dedicated workout room. I also did the 7 minute workout which I’m still loving!

I made some yummy paleo crepes this morning stuffed with whole berries/sauce and plan on getting some meal prep for the week done early since the weather is such a dud today🌧

Tilley, glad the lunch went well and that you were able to get some relief with the air conditioning ! Yes, I think you should check out the Alexa 7 minute workout- it’s worthwhile … Of course now we are all hearing on the news about Alexa “spying” on us by listening to every word we say as she waits for us to say her name. The solution they say is to just unplug her when you’re not using her!

Lori, at least you have that treadmill handy! I personally used to like to watch TV while walking on my treadmill! Some weeks are are just that way-so so with the eating. You’ll get re-motivated soon as you always do! I was seriously wondering if I was going to get it together again after the holidays! I’d gone that far down the bad eating rabbit hole! Thanking God for my fallback cleanse which always helps me to press the re-set button!

Sue, the yoga sounds perfect. I really like the medittative aspect. I used to do that too but when I hurt my back the orthopedist recommended against it for me because I was already too bendy ( like Gumby but in a bad way!) so he told me I needed to do Pilates to strengthen my core & back. I suppose I shouldn’t complain about our rain when you’ve got snow to deal with!

Have a good start to the week ladies!

Sorry Tilly! Added an extra “e ” in your name on accident! 😉

Hi!

The lack of activity on this thread nowadays is so sad! 🙁 Getting a bit worried about Salma (whom I don’t think we’ve heard from in well over a month) and Cinque! And Elizabeth (Carolina), where are you?

I’m doing fine…plugging away at exercise and eating healthy. I’ve yet to fast this week and have to get that going!

Today’s my mammo- Not the most pleasant day of the year! ;)I decided to get on the stick in 2017 and get all my doctor appointments booked for the year set up yesterday and lo and behold, they had a mammo appointment available the very next day! Oh well, at least I get it over with early in the year.

Another dreary, rainy day here in So. Cal! Well, I think I’m going to get my raincoat and umbrella and dodge the rain drops while I take my walk. Then it’s on to the 7 minute Alexa workout which I’m still loving!

Ok girls, hoping to hear back from more of you soon!

Sherry

Hi Sherry, I’m here still. Don’t know where everyone else is though.
    Had two fast days already this week, although the weight is plateauing. Hope to get to the gym this afternoon, been for a massage this morning. Ouch but in a good way. Oh well onwards and upwards.
    Our weather is gorgeous at the moment, mid 20’s and clear blue sky, just how I love it. Although they are predicting up to 38 deg c early next week phew !!
    Don’t envy you and your mammogram, we have them very two years from the age of fifty. They are free. Had mine last year so not due for one until next year. Although my GP generally checks me over when I visit. My dear friend was diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast cancer the day I had my first mammo three years ago, so I am extra vigilant. She’s doing amazingly now but it was pretty scary for a while there.
    Still haven’t looked at that Alexa workout must do it today.
    I would assume you don’t get snow in So. Cal ( Southern California ??or Sth Carolina ?) Received pictures from my brother in law in Portland Oregon they had 12 ” overnight looks very pretty but darn cold haha
    Take care
    Love Tilly x

I’m here….I’m here!! Not much to report really. Weight is stagnant. Still up 5 lbs from the Holidays and it doesn’t want to budge. 🙁 I continue to do boot camp and now have the added walking challenge. I have had to give myself a day off from walking now and then when boot camp was extra tough. Trying to listen to my body.

Today I’m going to hit the treadmill for 3 miles instead of boot camp as DH wants to go to the Farm Show. It is held about an hour from us here in Pennsylvania. I haven’t been to it for years, but know it will entail eating stuff I don’t usually eat….but lots of walking too! Lots of farm animals and all kinds of things to see. He was supposed to go with a friend of his, but said friend has to work today, so I’ve been called into service. 😉 Not really my thing, but I’ll step up and be a good wife.

I’m leaving on Saturday to go to my sister’s for 4 or 5 days. I’m ready for a change in my routine.

Tilly..I saw pictures of that snow in Portland! Such odd weather they are having on the west coast.

I think I am past due for my mammo. Actually, I don’t think I had one last year. I’ve been vigilant about the “lady” stuff all my life until the last couple years. The exam and all that goes with it has become so uncomfortable, that I really don’t want to go thru it. I will talk to my GP about a mammo when I’m there in April.

Well, have to drink my coffee and then hit the treadmill. Have a good day!

Hi, guys!!! I’m just jumping on quickly. I’m taking a little breather in between chaos. The past chaos is having my college son home for almost a month plus the holidays followed immediately by SNOW days stuck in the house. The future chaos is our kitchen remodel. We have to move out this weekend and it begins Monday. Meanwhile the class I’m teaching has started and I have several projects at our company. But I still felt like I needed to get the house in order and have a couple of normal days before we start really packing up.

Anyway, I will be back to catch up with everyone. My holiday was kind of a disaster for food. I did have a few days right afterward where I got back in control and repaired some of the damage but then it was back to Carb Orgy!!! Ugh. But I’m looking forward to healthier times!!!

Good luck to all.

Morning everyone!

Just back from a rare, rainless walk! It looks like it could come down any minute so I was lucky. I hadn’t been able to walk outside since Saturday due to the rain! Tilly, I’m in San Diego, Southern California (So. Cal). We have on very rare occasions (like once every 7-10 years) had small snow flakes fall here in San Diego, but they really don’t stick. We do have snow in our local mountains every winter about 1 1/2 hours away. People here kid around that you could be in the snowy mountains, the hot desert and the beach all in one day if you wanted!

Well, the mammo was extra painful yesterday! I went to a new place and the machine squished me extra hard and the technician tweaked/contorted my body in more painful and unusual ways than I’m used to! Don’t know if I’ll go there again. I actually felt pain in the “girls” up to an hour afterward! 🙁

Hey Lori, good to see you back here! Sorry to hear things are stagnant in the weight department! Are you still doing your low carb/fasting? Enjoy the farm animals! Is that in a covered area or out in the snow?

Elizabeth! Good to see you return too! You do sound especially and stressfully busy! So you have to move out entirely while they remodel the kitchen? For how long? That’s a pain! How’s your daughter doing? Is your son Ok? You mentioned the stress of having him home? I can commiserate with re: to the carbs! I love them way too much! Here’s hoping you’re able to get back on your healthier eating plan! It’s a new year! We can all do it! 🙂

Well, need to jump in the shower and then there might be some healthy baking going on around here. That’s the hard thing too with this grey weather… makes me want to snuggle in and bake! Even though I bake healthy, I tend to eat too much of what I bake and we all know that too much of a good thing is not a good thing!

See ya!

Hi, Sherry! Sorry about the painful mammo.

We are “just” moving out of the back portion of our main level, which is the kitchen/breakfast area and family room. We will be living here during the reno. I definitely see why people just buy a new house! Sometimes I think we should have done that. It would have been much easier for new people to do this before they moved in. But I have a lot of ties to this house and love many things about it. Anyway, it will be a pain to move out and set everything up for camping out in the house but once that’s done I don’t think it will be too terribly horrible. I’ll have the fridge, microwave, toaster/oven in the dining room and I’m going to have a plastic bin for a “sink”–we’ll have to carry the dishes upstairs to wash. I’m going to get floor covering and vinyl tablecloths to protect things. We’ll see….

Anyway, once we get settled in a pattern my daughter and I are going to do a modified elimination diet/cleanse to detox from the holidays. That is the best plan I can come up with to keep her reflux from getting out of control again. We need to get off too much grains, dairy, sugar anyway, at least for a while. We’re also going to avoid corn and nuts.

Better run and get started!!

Hi Elizabeth!

Glad to hear you’re not having to move entirely out of your house, but I know it’s a pain nonetheless! We are hoping to do a major remodel this year after looking around ffor a new house for quite a while and not finding what we want. We plan to build out a new bedroom wing/kid lounge area atop a new garage space. We will build a temporary fully functioning kitchen in the garage too. We will then move over to that area while they remodel the kitchen, etc./the rest of the house. It will be a major undertaking and I’m not looking forward to it fir sure! Good luck with the elimination diet. I eat similarly ( when I’m being good!)
    but not as strict.

Well, I’m unhappy to report that I’m up about 5-6 lbs right now as compared to before Thanksgiving. And, this is after doing the 4 day cleanse and 1 1/2 days fasting! I’m soooo mad at myself! So, back to it I guess- just very frustrating that I let myself eat that much! Apparently I’m in the same 5 lb boat as you, Lori!

Well, the morning walk with the hubby is done and I’m off to take the twins to tennis practice. I’d love to hit a few balls with the hubby, but he has to take my son to baseball try outs. I guess I’ll just get some extra walking in around the courts while they play. Thankfully it’s a beautiful, sunny day after a week of rain!

Have a wonderful weekend! Lori, have a great time with your sis!

Hi ladies,

It’s Martin Luther King holiday today so the kids are off of school and have play dates over.

We’re doing a lot of Spring cleaning and organizing over here. So much accumulation of kid stuff that we need to weed through!

Yesterday I got into the tortilla chips and ruined an otherwise good eating day! Darn! Today I’m fasting, hoping to undo the damage! Tomorrow night we have to go out to dinner with our fellow franchisees in our area and our business development manager from our corporate office in Omaha, NE. I already perused the menu at the restaurant we’re going to and feel confident I can eat well and healthy.

Elizabeth, I’m sure you’ve read all sorts of info on your daughter’s reflux, but I just saw something online about vinegar being used to cure that? They’re touting coconut vinegar as the new healthiest vinegar as well. If you haven’t tried it, I thought it might be worth a shot?

My daughter is doing well with her fit bit…has lost 4 lbs and is eating much better too. Fingers crossed she continues!

Lori, are you back from your visit yet?

Tilly and Sue, how are you two holding up?

As always, Cinque and Salma, hope to hear from you again soon!

Happy start to the week all! 🙂

Hi!

No…I’m at my sister’s until Thursday. Just hanging out, going out doing a little shopping, and too much eating. When I get home, I’ve got to get back to fasting.

This will be short as typing on my phone is tedious.

Hope all is well. I’ll be more active here when I’m back to my normal routine.

Take care!

Hi all. Trucking along. No weight loss last week but I was out for dinner a couple times. Fast day today. Did yoga. Was a good workout as well as relaxing. Going to bed soon since
    It’s a safe place I never eat lol.
    We all seem to have gotten off track over the holidays but also seem to be making efforts to get back on the straight and narrow lol. I know I don’t want to go backwards. Was too hard getting this 15 lbs off and took 3 months.
    Freezing rain expected overnight into tomorrow’s commute. Hoping it will get warm enough it’s just rain. Have salt down on the driveway and side mirrors and wiper blades wrapped in plastic shopping bags. A tip I saw on Pinterest. 😉
    Hope all are well!
    Sue

Hi! Demolition has begun. The move out was about as much fun as you’d expect….very gross seeing how much dust and mildew was hiding in books, nooks and crannies!!! Ugh. We’ve been here too long. But it’s over now and I think we will be okay for the duration. It’s a pain but do-able.

Today is fast day and get back on track day. My husband flies to the Netherlands Saturday so that should make things a little easier.

Hope everyone is okay. I’ll try to post more personals later!!

Hi friends!

Just back from pilates and my weekly two grocery store shopping trip and all the unloading that goes with it. I swear, every time I go to the store, the checker asks if I’m “stocking up” or “haven’t had time to shop in a while”! NO! I have 4 kids and like to consolidate my shopping to once a week!

The fast was overall successful yesterday and today I’ve been doing good. Tonight is dinner out…wish me luck! 😉

Hey Sue! Good to see someone out there remembers how hard it is to lose the weight and not to give in and gain it back! Apparently my brain misfired on that one (ahem…5 lbs gained!).

Now are you back Lori? Hope there wasn’t too much eating damage done on your time away!

Elizabeth, so glad the painful moving of all the old stuff is over with. Hoping the demo and remodel go quickly for you! Btw, are you guys still thinking of moving to the Netherlands? Just wondering since you’re doing the remodel. Or maybe you’re thinking you’ll get a good return on investment by doing that prior to selling?

So, just snooping around the other threads yesterday and found Cinque. Happy to report she’s alive and well (and very active) on the Southern Hemisphere site if you all want to see what she’s up to! I’d been worried about her so it’s good to see she’s ok.

Ok, I have lots of stuff to get done so I have to sign off now! Have a good afternoon!

Hi All,

SherryAnn, my brother and his wife have 6 kids, so their fridge was STOCKED as you can imagine, plus friends in and out and my sis-in-law did home daycare, too!

Second fast day this week hoping for results tomorrow as I was static last week. My only exercise is an active workplace and yoga twice a week. The one class is fairly “physical”, the other is more mind and emotion rebuilding and stretching, so not burning as many calories.

I’m glad you found Cinque! It’s hard to know if it’s just people get busy and wander away or something has happened – the issue with online friendships.

Another gray day, it’s nice it’s mild weather, but the lack of sunlight is taking its’ toll – I’d rather have snow some days that this drizzle!

Hope all are well!!
    Sue

Hi Gang!

I’m back home in my nest. I have the washer spinning and am trying to get back in the groove. I had a nice time with my sister, but ate and drank too much, plus spent too much $$ shopping! ACK!! I need to get back to my boring life of just staying home. 😉

I’ve been keeping up with the walking challenge pretty well. I may be a couple miles behind as I’m taking today off. Tomorrow I’ll be back to boot camp and also try to get a couple miles in. Saturday is supposed to be warm, so I’d like to get 5 miles in that day.

Hope you are all well and avoiding all the “bugs” that are going around. My sister is battling a sinus thing and was feeling pretty rough when I left this morning.

I’ll check in tomorrow.

Hi Gals,

Just back from the hairdressers- covering those greys always makes me feel better!

My eating is going ok. Doing a lot of bean based soups lately due to our continued nasty rainy weather. We’re getting direct hit storms one after another for at least 5 days starting today. At least today’s seemed to mainly take place this morning as it’s partly clearing now. Tomorrow is supposed to be the worst of it. We Californians are not used to rain and drive horribly in it so I try to stay off the roads as much as possible to avoid everyone who drives crazy!

So, I have another business/pleasure trip to Hawaii mid February and I’m really feeling the pressure to kick my eating plan into gear to drop that 5 lbs gained over the holidays! Thinking of doing another 4 day cleanse within a week or so and then another before I leave in February. Hoping this does the trick along with a fast or two thrown in here and there!

Sue, yep, I can’t imagine how your sister-in-law handled it! As it is for us we have the house fridge, and an extra fridge and freezer in the garage! Your yoga sounds good! If you want more physical, you could always take a walk during lunch or something? I’m with you on the grey skies…kinda depressing!

Hi Lori, good to see you back and to hear you had a fun (though too much $ spent and food eaten!) weekend with your sister! Good that you were able to keep up with the walking-I know you said you and your sister like to walk.

Our little group here on this thread is shrinking so much and I have a feeling Salma isn’t coming back (or Cinque). Just wondering how everyone feels about that? Do we stick with our little group or maybe merge into another thread? Just a thought? I’m good either way.

I’ve got a yummy smelling lentil curry stew bubbling away in the crockpot and I think I’m going to get busy making some healthy-ish biscuits before the kiddos get home.

Excited to watch our inauguration celebration here in the states tomorrow. Too bad there’s so many poor sports in the media and entertainment industry putting a negative spin on it all instead of coming together as a country and giving the guy a chance!

Bye!

Where oh where did all you girls go? Miss chatting with you…it’s been days! 🙁

It’s been so grey and rainy here and it really affects my eating…not in a good way! Starting a 4 day cleanse again tomorrow to try to reset the ‘ol brain/body. Hoping it works!

How are you all holding up? Any suggestions you might have for helping me get back on track would be most welcome!

Hoping to hear from someone soon!

Viewing 50 posts - 4,401 through 4,450 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.