Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,251 through 4,300 (of 5,077 total)

• Hello Everyone,
    It is Saturday morning here, and even though I have huge lists to write and do for my project I am taking the chance to be leisurely, drink lots of cups of tea and making lentil and oat waffles (a slow process) and finally writing a good long catch up post here! (Prepare yourselves!).

Sherry so glad you got a day working (instead of that nothing time you do with kids, housework, monitoring diabetes and all that other stuff 😉 )
    But it sounds like really nice work and important too.

We are keeping our eyes on your presidential debates here too! Had an enjoyable time watching Wierd Al Yankovic’s song from the last debate.

I had a couple of very stressful days with my work, but I think that is sorted out. Even though it is way full on, it is coming together. The cafe is set to open on the 22nd November and trade for 5 weeks before we take a breather over Christmas.

Still ‘flat out’ 😉
    Nice to hear you use that phrase too Carolina! I think of how, when someone goes from walking to running fast they flatten out, if you know what I mean. And that is true everywhere!

I hope you had a good fast day, and that the scales reward you properly! (If they don’t, consign them to the wardrobe for a week and they might behave themselves better after a bit of quiet time!)

How is your dancing daughter going? Our big holidays are Christmas through January so the end of year performances and everything are exhausting though November and December. Has she got her diet worked out?

Hello Tilly! It is a busy time of year for people studying! Good luck to your husband. My dear sister studied Theology and is now the Anglican vicar of Swan Hill region. (I am not religious myself and often get terms wrong, but I think that is right).

Best wishes with your spring cleaning, such a satisfying thing to do! And congratulations on the ‘inching down’! Perfect!

Lori it is an interesting transition you are going though! I wonder if you will find a hobby, or cause, or community group that will take your interest and bring just the right amount of busyness and satisfaction into your life.

Hi Sue, what a lovely compliment that was!
    I have been interested to try turkey, never had it in my life!
    Isn’t it wonderful with 5:2 that whatever likes and dislikes, intolerances or preferences in food, we can make 5:2 work!

Must go now. Best wishes.
    Fast Day tomorrow for me!

hi goldworkout, spam isn’t welcome here.
    also you are pushing your website onto people who are happily doing 5:2

goldworkout – we don’t use formulaes, terms, special ingredients or substances, magic pills, m5:2 works, it’s helped me and my friends, we’re enjoying it, it’s completely free and we save money by not eating as much in a week so our food bills are lower. We help each other on this forum and in real life in our communities and that supplies plenty of phsychological oomph.

Well I for one am happy to part with my money. It will make me feel lighter. You have to love it, don’t you. Next please.

Hey bigbooty,

It’s 3.40pm, did a FD yesterday and haven’t broken my fast yet today. Surprises surprise, I may do a 2nd FD back2back. Not sure if there’ll be any fallout on the health side for me but I’m seeing how long I can go without neg effects. If I get to 6pm I’ll have a FD dinner and see what the scales say, and how I am in the morning. This is off the cuff and unplanned, but doing well so far.

Cheers,
    Merry

Way to go Merry. As long as you drink lots I don’t think there are too many neg aspects to short duration fasts. Lots of up side though. I used to fast 60 hour (2 consecutive days) per week. Since reaching my goal weight back in March Ive been fasting 36 hours (1 day) every week. Monday is my fast day, and Ive just had my Sunday evening meal. Breakfast on Tuesday here we come. It trains your body to access stored fats very efficiently. Don’t expect to lose too much more than you would on a 500 cal day. The upside comes from liver and kidney cleanses, a liver that starts to access stored fats efficiently, autophagy that promotes cell growth that is able to use fats for energy as well as glucose. Good stuff Merry.

Aloha friends!🌺

I had a terrific and very active day today. I had to wake at 5:45 for a 6:15 pick up by a gal in my office to participate in the Oahu Walk to End Alzheimer’s Disease. It was fun to walk with my office ladies and then watch international entertainment including Filipino dancers and Chinese dragons 🐲 .Afterward, I did a little clothes shopping. Later, I drove to Kailua to have lunch with a former drama teacher from my kids’ school that had moved there. It was great to catch up! Lastly, I met with my friend, the wellness counselor, for a strenuous uphill hike to the top peak in Lanikai which overlooked the Momu islands- stunning views! I was even blessed with a lovely rainbow after a quick rain shower! 🌈 I’m surprised I’m not totally exhausted! Looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow though!

I had to laugh today when I heard on the news that there’s a campaign by the Canadians to cheer up us distraught Americans who can’t take anymore of our presidential campaign! There were Canadians on TV talking to us and basically saying, “take heart, your country is still great”! So thank you all you Canadian friends- we need all the good wishes we can get! 😉

Cinque, glad to hear you’re giving yourself a little break from your work and hoping you can get everything done that you need to in time with minimal stress! Happy fast day to you today!

Hi to all the other folks out there! Hope to hear from more of you soon!

Time for a good night’s sleep! 😴💤

Good Morning!

Sherry, I’m picturing the gorgeous views you had on your hike. Hawaii is such a beautiful place. Sounds like you are enjoying your time there.

I reported the above post…hope it gets removed. Yes, parting with our money would make us lighter, wouldn’t it? 😉

Haven’t done much this weekend but watch football and read. Tomorrow hubby and I are going to go do a bit of shopping. A few things we need at some shops that are about 20 minutes from here. Maybe I’ll talk him into having lunch out.

Well, time for some coffee. I’m trying to fast until lunch time today. I did pretty well yesterday, but will have a proper fast day tomorrow.

Have a good day!

Hello everyone,

I see there are many more people around here who we haven’t seen for a while and some new ones.. so welcome to everyone.

I managed two FDs this week and am feeling great about getting back to the 5:2. I have been away, both physically and mentally from the 5:2 journey, so it is so nice to be bak in the fold again.

I still have around 6 kilos to go, but am getting there, if really slowly.
    My Sunday has been spent catching up with the million and one things that have piled while I was away 🙁

Sherry.. Hawaii sounds wonderful. You seem to be really enjoying yourself.
    Lori.. You sound so relaxed and happy. I guess retirement suits you.
    Cinque.. you should pace yourself and make sure you don’t get too tired or stressed. Stress is awful. I had a dizziness and nausea bout over last week that was diagnosed as caused by stress. Yikes! Is any work worth it?

Everyone else, I hope that you are enjoying the 5:2 journey and that you are seeing positive results.
    Salma

Good Sunday afternoon to you ladies!

Just re-read my prior entry- not that its a big deal but meant to say “Moku” Islands, not “Momu”! Had a fitful sleep last night-no idea why?

I got my morning walk in and now heading out for a little retail therapy. 😉

So my amazing news of the day is that I’ve finally reached my holy grail of entering into the 115’s (115.8 to be exact), my goal weight!!!!🎉 Of course it’s just a “toe” in and I’m sure it will jump back and forth into the 116’s for a while until it settles in. I’m soooo happy, and after a year plus at this, it doesn’t seem real. I think that uphill hike yesterday tipped the scales in my favor!

Lori, enjoy your day and lunch out, you happy retired lady, you!

Salma, good to see you posting and getting successfully back into the 5:2 groove! Btw, my eldest has had the same symptoms you described from stress recently, hers being mostly school related so I’ve seen what you’ve experienced. My hope is that you find some way of coping ( or changing jobs!) so that it calms down. I’ve tried to get my daughter to utilize some of those free meditation apps to de-stress, but she claims exercise is helping her more- we will see.

Cinque, how’s the fast and your project? Is there anyone to help you with it or does it fall square on your shoulders?

Have a lovely Sunday all, though as it’s afternoon here in Hawaii, it’s probably already Monday in most places by now!

Good Morning Friends!

Up early and heading for boot camp in a few minutes. I already have a load of laundry in the dryer and it’s only 5AM! I have to take my car in for service today, so I’ll be home bound most of the day. I think I’ll start organizing my clothes to get ready to pack for my road trip with my sister. I leave Friday for my sister’s and then we take off Saturday morning. EEEP!!

I have been doing far too much sitting the past few days and eating all manner of crap. 🙁 I gingerly stepped on the scale this morning and was amazed to see the same number. I was sure I would have gained a few pounds. I’m going to have a couple good fast days this week in preparation for vacation. My sister and I usually do fairly well eating out. We like to stick to appetizers and share. We do have our indulgences, but sharing really helps mitigate the damage! 😉

Well….time to go get my workout on! I’ll check in with you all in a couple hours!

Morning all!

Well, just as expected, back up to 116.8 this morn ( and I’d walked an hour that morning & a 2 hour walk into town last night) . Go figure! Oh well, we all know how this roller coaster ride goes-

Ok , time for breakfast then off for Pilates and lunch with my son’s former tae Kwan do instructor. She too moved here earlier this year. We’re going to this raw foods restaurant that I went to once with another friend. I was pretty amazed how good lasagna made with thin sliced zucchini and nut ricotta is! And I’m italian- I know good lasagna!

Have a great start to the week! This is my last week here… I leave Friday 😟. Good news is we come back for Thanksgiving. Bye for now!

Hi everyone!

Salma so glad you are back in that 5:2 routine and feeling you are doing the good things for your health. I just hate that you are under such stress. Sending really strong wishes that a whole load of good things happen and that at least half of them help to reduce the stress load.

I am doing my very best to pace myself, I have reassessed everything after last week and I think I have got myself at a sustainable pace. I hope so!

Lori I hope you were able to turn housebound into a good day. I might be like that this afternoon waiting for the plumber to come But I am Soooo looking forward to it! I need more rest!

Congrats on that first peep at 115 Sherry! It will be back soon, you know it was the first toe in! Patience! 😉
    Enjoy that yummy sounding lasagna!

I do have wonderful help with my project, but it is me in the middle. I spend my time having meetings with those generous experts, one at a time, and then what they say means I need to have more meetings with all the other ones, and so it keeps going around. And all the things to organise in between! I’ve set up a gofundme campaign so I need to keep tickling that along, as well as making contingency plans in case we can’t fund all the things we need. I am good at contingency plans but it is like surfing on a very wavy sea! I am not exactly upright, but I am still on the board!

I had a good Fast day yesterday (Monday) instead of Sunday as I was minding my granddaughter and wanted to have pumpkin pikelets with her! It was a good decision, yesterday was a good day for a fast, and this morning is a lovely time for a break-fast!

Oh and look, now it is coffee time! Bye!

Quick pop on before I run into the office! I work from home but try to go in on Wednesdays so they don’t forget about me, haha.

Siouxsee, your job is my dream job! I realized too late that I really should have been a librarian and I definitely want to work in a college library. I started a MLIS program when I was pregnant with my son but dropped out. Definitely regret that now!

Congrats, Sherry!!!

Lori, sounds as if you are staying busy!!!

Cinque, how do you find energy to do this huge project???

FD yesterday was so-so. I drove my daughter to an out of state GI appt and it kind of threw a kink in my plans. Anyway, we are going to give this new med a little longer and if it doesn’t help we’ll do an endoscopy to try to get some real information. I feel we probably need to do that but I really dread it. Maybe a miracle will happen and this med will kick in and take care of things….

I’ll go out to lunch with my husband today and with some girlfriends tomorrow. We’re actually going to vote first and then stop by a taco truck!

Hello and good luck to everyone I’m missing–I’ll try to do better when I get back on in a bit.

Hi all,

I’m just back from taking myself to lunch and a 2 hour beach walk ( I’d gone to Pilates earlier). It was cloudy/slightly drizzling at the beach and I honestly got chilled ( yes, it can get cool in Hawaii!). I made myself a cup of cocoa as soon as I walked in the door!

I was going to get a jump on cleaning the condo before I leave on Friday, but I feel tired so it’s just a shower, bowl of warm soup, and the couch for me.

Well, the ‘ol weight is still hanging out in the same area- 116.6 today. I suppose I should be happy- I’m basically on vacation and haven’t gained 😉

Cinque, I’m glad you have some help with your project! I hope you get all the funding you need. So is it a fast day this Thursday or are you officially doing the one fast a week (maintenance)?

Elizabeth, good to see you pop in every so often! Wish we could see more of you! I hope you get it all figured out with your daughter’s health- that’s got to be so frustrating & difficult. Here’s hoping you are able to get a proper fast in soon!

Lori, where are you girl!? I guess you’re already finding too many things to take up your new free time! 😉

Have a lovely evening ladies!

Hi everyone,
    Sunny day here for the moment in Melbourne. Spring has sprung and my crab apple trees are in full bloom.
    Spent a fair bit of time sitting doing very little this week. The dreaded MS fatigue struck on the weekend. Having said that I have still managed three minor workouts at the gym although I need to rest for quite a while when I get home to recover 😬 As a consequence the weight has stayed put. Oh well fast day again today so we will see what happens.
    Sounds like you have had a wonderful time Sherryann in Hawaii. I have never been there but my brother in law and sister in law who live in Portland, Oregon have had a number of holidays there and love it. We have been talking about where we go for next years holidays. My prerequisite is staying in one place, no touring around, no long haul flights and there needs to be a beach and warmth. We are blessed to have a lovely caravan so we can travel anywhere in Australia. Looks like North Queensland may be the destination. Cairns is a favored destination 😎 It’s generally fits the bill in June/July ☀️☀️☀️
    Cinque sounds like you are on the right track with your project, hope you get the funding you need. Meetings are the bane of organizational life I think. My husband was on the board of a local charity and seemed to forever be having to meet with someone for something that needed seeing to!
    Lori hope you enjoy your time away with your sister, sharing is always a great way to mitigate the damage of yummy but fattening things haha
    Blessings all
    Love Tilly 😘

Good Morning Friends!

Sorry I’ve been neglecting you all. The days just seem to get away from me! I’ve had several appointments this week……car stuff, haircut and today mani/pedi. Have to get all this vacation prep done! 😉 I’ll be leaving Friday morning to head to my sister’s. I’m trying to organize things for the husband and remind him about this and that. I will be speaking to him every day, but trying to think of a lot of things ahead of time.

I’m just treading water as far as my eating goes. I just can’t seem to get my head wrapped around fasting lately. I’m hoping when I get home from my travels I’ll be able to get serious again. I did 2 boot camp sessions this week and that’s going to be it. I’ll be doing a lot of walking on the beach the next couple weeks. My sister and I love doing that. We usually walk morning and evening for miles each time. Looking forward to it immensely.

Well, washer is spinning and my packing is done. What shall I do today? 😉 I’m still trying to get used to this retirement thing. On days when I have errands to run and am busy, I love it. I just need to get into a groove when I’m at home. It’s an adjustment, that’s for sure!

I’ll try to pop in tomorrow before I leave. I’m not sure I’ll be able to post much when I’m away. It’s very hard to post from my phone. Take care all….see you soon!

Hi gals,

Just a quick check in to say I am having a good FD.. the scales today registered another low: 79 Kg|!! I have not seen this figure in years. I am elated. So good to be back on track. I don’t know what is happening, but I seem to have shifted the “set point”. I can hardly believe it!!

Lori, enjoy your tarvels and have lots of fun on everyone’s behalf 🙂
    Salma

Congratulations on the new low number on the scale Salma! I hope to have the same experience before year end. Lots of work ahead of me when I’m finished running around for awhile!

Hugs to all!

Hi everyone….. I am new to this forum. I am in my early fifties. I have started my 5:2 diet for 7 weeks now. Was very excited when found out about this diet. I am totally fine in doing the fast. Some fast days are harder but I can do it.
    I am just very frustrated that I have not lost any weight. I just don’t understand why nothing is happening. I do feel good on this diet. My clothes are fitting better but the scales have not moved. I just feel nothing ever works for me. I was happy to find this diet because I thought I could do this forever. I have tried many diets but counting calories everyday has not worked for me.
    I have read your posts several times and that has kept me going so far but now I need your help me in continuing this. Any suggestions are welcomed!!!

HELP!!!

Hi Sarla and welcome:

Here is how to do 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/. When done properly, a person has to lose weight.

If you have not lost any weight in 7 weeks (but also not gained), the odds are you are overeating on your non diet days. A good way to figure out what is wrong is to count calories for a week for both diet and non diet days. That usually identifies where the problem is.

Good Luck!

Hi Sarla,

I think I didn’t lose any weight for the first 4-5 weeks, in fact, I put weight on in the 3rd week, we went away for a few days, and although I still did 1 and a half fast days that week, I still put on a kilo! Then eventually, it start to go down, and my appetite reduced as well. I’ve just had another week off work, which means I totally didn’t even try to fast, so I just won’t weigh myself until I’m back fasting. I think I’ve lost 3 kilos (6.6lbs – ish) in about 10 weeks, but as I said, it didn’t seem to start straight away, even though I did feel like I was taking up less space in my clothes.

Good luck, and you can at least take comfort in the fact that fasting is supposed to help with a bunch of other health factors, and that weight loss is just one of the side-bonuses.

Hi Sarla,

Have to agree with Sim. I suspect that all you have done is to overcompensate on your non fast days by eating more because of your fast days. Net result, youre eating exactly the same amount as before. I don’t calorie count and was sure I was eating way less than 2000 cal per day. Out of interest I decided to accurately weigh and count what I was eating. Guess what? I was eating 2000 cal. 2000 cal is a ridiculously small amount of food!!

So my suggestion is to accurately weigh and count cal for one week just so you get an idea of what that amount of food equals calorie wise. Then adjust so that you only eat up to your TDEE and 1/4 TDEE on fast days. There is no magic involved.

Hi Everyone,

Welcome Sarla!
    I’d say that if your clothes are fitting better you are doing fine!
    Congratulations!
    Don’t worry what the scales say, they are stupid things.
    (Okay, that might be a slight over exaggeration about the scales! 😉 )

Hello everyone else too!

SALMA! 79kg! Woot! Woot! Woot!
    I am SO HAPPY for you! A little bit of time for you to settle there and then you may NEVER see 80 again!
    It is Sunday here already and I am hoping that when it rolls around to Beirut you wake up to one of those wonderful days that are just for yourself.

I’ve had a hard week, and asthma as well, so haven’t managed my daily catch ups! And I am SO behind with all the things I need to do, that I should really be on them! But Oh a nice cuppa and a chat to start the day is a pleasure not to be denied!

Lori best wishes for a wonderful road trip! You’ll be on your way. Enjoy every minute!

Tilly, isn’t it hard with chronic illness. Sending best wishes and hoping today is better.
    Ha, I understand your husband view of meetings, although most of mine are a pleasure, I had a lovely one last night with a neighbour who runs an inner city cafe and is such a wonderful mentor. I came home just so happy and feeling like I knew what I was doing!. Such a relief after the tricky ones.

Hi Sherry are you still shivering away in Hawaii? No, you must be home now. I hope you are nicely refreshed and ready to deal with the gang!
    I am getting good help with my project…. and some help that just makes things harder. But that is a smaller part thank goodness, and I am still rejoicing every day that I have this wonderful opportunity.
    I did an 800cal fast on Thursday. I’ll change it week to week depending on how I feel. I want to keep my Sunday fast Days under 500, but today I am taking some medication that I need to take at breakfast time with food, so that has meant a tweak in my Sunday fast. Lucky 5:2 is so adaptable.

And Hi Carolina, don’t family mess with plans! i do hope the meds start doing the right thing for your daughter. Modern medicine is so wonderful, but Oh the things that still need to be understood and discovered and done! And those of us with the symptoms that aren’t well understood, have to suffer, be patient, bravely try new things, be stoic and keep hoping!
    Good wishes to you for doing 5:2 as best you can around it all.

Well, I have worked my way back up the thread to my last post!
    I’d better head off and tackle my list. Oh it is long! Wish me luck!
    Best wishes for your fast days, or non fast days today!

Hello everyone,

Hello Sarla and welcome. I would agree with Cinque that as long as your clothes are fitting better, there is no need to worry about the scales. I also fully agree with her that they are stupid things, better ignored except once a week or so. Don’t worry about it, if you fast those 2 days and are eating mindfully for the rest of the time, you WILL lose weight. It may take longer, but it will happen. Some of us lose really slowly. I have been at this since Feb 2015, and have had weight go down, then up then down as life happens along the way. I have now lost a total of 14 Kgs over that period, but it has taken almost 2 years. I am still trying to lose another 9 kilos or so (or maybe just 4 or 5) but I expect I will be at it for a good few months before that happens. Patience and persistence are key. Forget the scales, eat healthy with a few indulgences and fast 2 days.. it will happen.

Cinque.. as I am always saying to you, please pace yourself as you have a very demanding project ahead of you. Your health must come first. I know what asthma is like.. I have had it since I was 11 or so.. it put me in the ER a couple of times.. it certainly is not fun. When you are stressed, sad or tired, it tends to get worse. Please take care of yourself.. oh and thank you for the yelps of joy.. it means a lot to me that my e-mates support and help me. I had a decent Saturday and will go to bed now and hope for a good Sunday. They move back the clock tonight so our sleeping patterns may be affected.

Tilly, nice to see you here and kudos on doing your workouts despite the fatigue. You are more disciplined than I, for sure.

Lori.. I hope you are having a wonderful time, and Sherry, when are you coming back? You always sound so “centered” when you are in Hawaii.

Everyone else.. have a great Sunday,

Salma

A quick Hello from Virginia Beach! Good trip here with one glitch. I lost one of my diamond earrings that were my retirement gift from work. 🙁 I’m a bit upset, but in the grand scheme, it is a small problem. I took my sweatshirt off at a rest area stop and I think that must be where I lost it. Oh well… It can be replaced.

We had a great dinner and a nice walk along the beach. An early night and we’ll get up early in the morning for a sunrise walk on the beach.

Have a great weekend!

Hi girls!

I arrived home around 1:30 in the morning yesterday which was Ok since it was really 10:30 Hawaii time and not yet bed time for me. The hard part is getting up at a normal California time the next day (I was not successful!). I did manage to get an afternoon walk in with the hubby and my legs felt like lead. Today’s walk felt much better. My eating, I must say, has been on the obnoxious/haphazard side since I got home…not quite overeating but not eating well either. I need to get back in a groove. I don’t know why, but usually the travel itself doesn’t cause a problem with my eating, it’s the getting home part! Maybe it’s because the day to day stressors start hitting me again (can anyone say teenage daughter?!). I’m getting on the stupid scale bandwagon! No weighing on that darn thing for at least a week for me! 😉

Tilly, so sorry your MS flared up. I have a friend with the type that is like a roller coaster, up and down with the symptoms. Is that the type you’re dealing with? The blessing is that at least you are able to stay active in great part. She has a more difficult time with that. Best of luck finding a wonderful place to just lie on the beach and relax for your vacation next year! If you ever decide to make it to Hawaii, let me know!

Yay Salma on getting into the 70’s! You finally did it! How long has it been since you’ve been that low? I’m sure this will be your year to go all the way to goal! So funny you said that I seem so “centered” when I’m in Hawaii! It’s completely a function of me getting “me time” to worry about nothing more that “me”! I’m pulled in so many directions with the four kids, businesses, etc. that having this time alone, twice a year to unwind is so priceless and such a gift from my husband! 🙂

Lori, so sorry about your earring! 🙁 I’m happy you are otherwise having a wonderful time with your sis though! You do what I like to do when in Hawaii, a morning walk and evening walk! It seems to help mitigate the eating damage too! 😉

Sarla, I can’t really add anything new to what the others said. I think all are right on with regard to check what you’re eating on non-fast days and stay off the darn scale for a while. It took me a few months to get in a groove of losing. Sometimes I think it takes our bodies a while to get used to a new way of eating and to respond to that. Don’t give up…it will happen!

Cinque, good you have that help (and maybe not so good with some of the help? ;0 How much more of the tough work do you have ahead of you? 800 calorie Thursdays are a nice compromise between fasting and eating normal! Good idea as you’re easing into maintenance!

Time for dinner. The hubby made turkey burgers and roasted asparagus. He’s a gem!

Talk to you all tomorrow!

Thank you all for your good advises. I will try to track my calories on my non fast days like I do on my fast days. I get disheartened when nothing moves on the scale for me and I read all your wonderful posts with all the success stories which keeps me going but I still get disappointed for me!!

To simcoeluv…..I have read all your posts and suggestions. It seems you are so knowledgeable about this diet. I need your help in figuring out when and how many calories should I be eating in order to lose weight. I am short…my height is 4feet 11inchs, 53yrs and my weight is 170-1lbs. My TDEE is 1500 so on fast days I should eat 375. I am going to do this. Also on fast days does it matter when I eat my calories? I feel I probably have to eat less than what is my TDEE to lose weight. Can you help me figure this out??

I am on my eighth week and today is my fast day. I will try to be better this week. I would like to continue on this diet because fasting is not a problem for me. I might also think about adding another day of fasting so 4:3. I just want my body to respond. I have done weight watchers in the past and had lost some weight but couldn’t do the tracking regularly and the weight wasn’t coming off so stopped it. I thought this I could do but looks like I have track for this diet too in order for it to work. I thought fasting would have taken care of it but anyway I will continue with it and hope to see some weight loss!!!

Thank you all for motivating me….it really helps me!!!

Happy Halloween everyone! 🎃 Those of us with little trick-or -treaters need to be extra vigilant! 😉 I think I’ll be ok since I’m pretty much off the ‘ol sugar and there will be lots of walking house to house with the kids.

I had to take my littlest twin to the dermatologist this morning to get a suspicious mole checked out ( they took a little shave off of it to check out). Not much else going on in these parts- just trying to get back on track with my good eating and part of that is getting gong on my shopping list and getting to the grocery store.

Have a great week ahead girls! 👻

Hi Sarla and welcome:

Thank you for your kind words!

It sounds like you are just starting 5:2. So some basics.

First, the TDEE calculator only gives an estimate of your TDEE. So while it is a number to start with, it probably will not give you an accurate number for you. So the concept to start is use the number but understand if you are not getting the results you want/expect, you will have to adjust that number down. There will not be a problem with ‘the diet’ or even with what/how much you are eating. It will be an inaccurate number allowing you to eat more than you need to eat to lose weight.

The way to counter the possibility that it is giving you a number higher than it actually is is two fold. First, use sedentary for your activity level. As one of my posts points out, if you walk 5 miles three times a week, for TDEE purposes you are right on the border of being sedentary. Most people overestimate their activity level and end up with a TDEE estimate that is too high. Second, you can use your goal weight instead of your current weight when computing the TDEE number. These two together will insure that you are not eating too much on your non diet days. And along the way you will gain an understanding of how little food you will be able to eat if you want to maintain your goal weight. In all honesty, many, on starting to understand this fact of how little they can eat without regaining their lost weight, decide they would rather continue being fat than eating so little for the rest of their lives. That is a personal choice and I have no opinion on whether or not it is a good or proper choice for any individual.

You have discovered your TDEE is very low. As height is a major factor in TDEE (skin being the body’s largest organ and a person needing more of it the taller they are) the taller you are, the higher your TDEE – and vice versa. If you have read my TDEE post, you will know you will be losing weigh slowly on 5:2 (after perhaps an initial quicker water weight loss). As a reminder, with a 1500 TDEE and eating 375 cal. twice a week you will be cutting a total of 2250 calories a week from your diet. That comes out to a weekly loss of approximately 290 grams or 10 ounces. Upping that to 4:3 will add an additional loss of approximately 145 grams or 5 ounces. As you are aware that you can experience daily weight fluctuations of two or more pounds because of water retention/dehydration and the weight of food in transit, you can understand your fat weight losses may be disguised/covered up by these factors and may only show itself after a few weeks of perfectly following 5:2.

The initial quick water weight loss you might (but may not) experience turns out to be dangerous for many people – not physically dangerous, but mentally dangerous. The reason is that in two or three weeks, that nice, quick weight loss stops and people believe they are experiencing a ‘plateau’. They then often think they are ‘doing something wrong’ or ‘the diet does not work’ or ‘their metabolism has slowed down’ or whatever and quit the diet or go off on a tangent trying to continue that initial, rapid weight loss. Tangents include exercising more, trying another or an additional way of eating like ’16:8′, other types of meal timing, or another diet like WW, SW, Atkins or whatever. Many times their weight loss resumes and they give the ‘tangent’ the credit, but it is really the continued reduction in calories that is working and they would have experienced the identical weight loss had they just continued doing 5:2 properly.

So, with all of that, to your questions. Start with whatever TDEE number you choose to start with, with the understanding that if you do not lose any weight in a month or so you will have to revise the TDEE number down. Make sure you accurately count your calories on your diet days. That will not only insure you are eating the correct amount, but also start to educate you in ‘portion sizes’. Research is clear that you can eat at any times and as often as you want on diet days. Some people on this site disagree, but the research is solid and has not been discredited. Because carbs make you hungry, it is best to try to eat high fat/moderate protein foods on your diet days, and many find one such meal in the evening works best. Some find not eating anything on diet days works even better (and increases the calorie deficit, leading to a little more weight loss).

Non diet days are often the ‘killer’ for people starting 5:2. Many do not understand how many calories they are actually eating – research shows most people underestimate their calorie intake by 50%, and even ‘nutritionists’, with all of their education and knowledge, underestimate their calorie intake by almost 20%. So if you are not losing weight after a month or so, try counting calories for a week and that usually identifies the problem.

Unfortunately, it just takes a lot of time to lose a lot of weight. And if you have a low TDEE, it takes even longer. Focus on doing your diet days correctly at the start, watch what you eat on your non diet days and usually things fall into place within a month or two. The mistake most make is they never give 5:2 that long to work. But if you look at the posters on the maintenance thread, you will find most did the ‘simple or basic’ 5:2 for as long as it took – and are the happier for it now!

Good Luck!

Hi Sarla,

If you add up the calories on your fast days and non fast days and you are sure youre not over (be very careful in adding up EVERYTHING) then I suspect that what you are eating rather than how much you are eating is the problem.

Will your body process 1 pound of sugar the same as 1 pound of broccoli? Absolutely not. So describe a typical days food intake including everything you drink as well. Be honest and include everything. How much has come out of a packet and how much is whole natural food. If you had to remove the food from a package its not natural. Examples, cereals, bread, pasta are all processed foods. Fruit juice, is processed! A whole piece of fruit is natural.

So list down a typical days breakfast, lunch and dinner and any snacks and drinks.

Thank you both simcoeluv and bigbooty for helping me!!

First of all let me tell you guys a little bit about me. I am not a junk food eater which means I don’t eat potato chips, cookies, cake, ice cream….soda, chocolates on a regular basis. I do eat it occasionally. I am not a emotional eater either. I can go for hours without eating. All my life I have dealt with my weight issues. I was never a skinny kid. So my problem I think is my metabolism and gene. Now of course having gone thru menopause hasn’t helped either. I have lost weight on my own and am probably lowest after long time. But now I am stuck!!

Simcoeluv… I have been on this diet for about two months now. I thought if I was loosing weight before when I was eating every day then with fasting two days I should loose. I don’t go crazy on my non diet days. And infact day after my fast days I am not that hungry so I don’t go crazy.

bigbooty….my typical day is like this….breakfast- two scrambled eggs with 2 whole wheat bread(120 calories),maybe banana if I have it, tea and water. Lunch- either salad with grilled chicken or leftover from last night….baked chicken with vegetables or tuna fish sandwich. For snacks fruits…could be pear, peach, plum, apple or grapes and almonds, cashews or peanuts. Tea again in the evening with some wheat crackers. For dinner- one piece of Indian bread with chicken or fish with vegetables. I drink lots of water and occasionally a piece of chocolate or some apricots or some sweets.
    We are not big on process foods. I make everything we eat no package food. Once in a while I make pasta and rice. We used to have rice all the time but now I have even stopped that. I only have it once in a while. I have even stopped any form of sugar in my tea/coffee for months. So you see it is not easy for me to find what to stop eating that will impact my weight loss. Most people tell me I have to eat more to loose weight. I don’t do that. Maybe I don’t eat enough vegetables/fruits. Maybe I am not eating the right kind of food which I don’t what it is??

When I found out about this diet I thought I can do this forever. Even after one month when nothing happened I still continued hoping my body is very stubborn and maybe it needs more time. I didn’t even have the initial water weight loss. I have continued for another month. I do feel good from inside and I know fasting will be good for my body but even a small amount of weight loss will make me happy. After reading about all of your successes I thought I need to reach out to you guys to get some help. What am I doing wrong??

Hi Sarla:

If you were on another diet before starting 5:2, you had already experienced the initial and rapid (whatever that means for you) water weight loss. You then started 5:2 without the ‘help’ of easily losing some water weight and are in the midst of a ‘plateau’ or just slowly losing fat weight. I believe I characterized it as ‘think they are doing something wrong’ stage. Sound familiar to your ‘What am I doing wrong??’ comment?

You say you eat healthy, but eating healthy does not mean eating low cal. You do not say that you have been counting calories. So my advice, as stated above, is for you to count every calorie for a week. Count every taste of food while cooking, every sample of anything you eat, every bit of food and drink you consume no matter how small (even gum). If you are indeed eating within 1500 calories on your non diet days and 375 on your diet days, then your TDEE is not 1500, but something less.

But start by counting calories for a week. You may be surprised at how much you are eating.

Good Luck!

I have started to do that….you are right I am going to do this and see what happens!!!

Sim is correct in that it may pay to count calories for a week to establish what you are actually eating as opposed to what you think you are eating. I have never counted calories and Ive been in maintenance mode (6:1) since March. In my own mind I was sure I was eating well below my 2000 calories per day. So I decided to weigh everything and add up all the calories for a typical days food intake recently. Well it added up to 2000 calories! 2000 cal is not a lot of food! For me it was breakfast: a bowl of plain yogurt (2 tablespoons + 1 kiwi fruit and a handful of almonds). Lunch was 90g tin of tuna + salad. Plus 2 coffees with milk. Some roasted beans for a snack. Dinner was 300g of vegetable curry (no rice). Some almonds and brazil nuts for desert. That’s 2000 calories!! So 1500 calories would be 3/4 of that.

OK as Einstein once said. The first sign of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and somehow expecting the result to be different. So lets change things up. You have processed grains with every meal (bread, naan, crackers etc). Give them up for a month. No grains at all. Fruit is good but select ones with lower sugar content. Stop having plums, peach, grapes (real bad), bananas. Have pears and apples are OK. Kiwi fruit or your berry type fruits like strawberries, blackberries etc.

As far as nuts are concerned, almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts, pecans are the better ones. I would limit cashews (higher sugar content). Vegetables? Which ones do you have? I would absolutely stop eating potatoes, if you have them. Potatoes cause a bigger insulin spike than bread!! To put this into some sort of perspective on an insulin spike response, white bread is typically given a value of 100 the gold standard. Brown bread about 96. Potatoes = 120!! Worse than white bread. Jelly baby soft chewable lollies = 160. Choose cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, spinach etc.

If you are truly having only 375 cal then try and do a water fast only day. See if you can do it. I used to do 2 consecutive water only fasts, I now only do one water fast day per week since going into maintenance mode. If its too hard then stop. if you find you can then great. Like I said you need to change things up, if what you are doing isn’t working.

bigbooty….Thank you so much for your input. I so appreciate it!!
    When I started I was eating 500 cal on my fast days but I just recently realized that I can’t eat that amount. I just started that today. Today is my fast day and after I eat my Greek yogurt tonight I would have eaten 375. I will also try to eat as less as possible tomorrow and Thursday will try to do just water and tea day. Let’s see what happens!!

I will also try to limit my carb this week and going forward. I will also do the same for fruits as you suggested but had heard that eating bananas are good for weight loss. I totally avoid potato so no problem there. I am going to be more mindful this week!!

May I ask how much weight have you lost and how long have you been on maintenance??

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Im a 55 yo male 5’10” tall. Started at 92kg (202 lbs) and lost over the course of one year 21 kg (46 lbs). Now weigh 156 pounds or (71 kg). BMI about 22.

Bread or any processed cereal is a treat (much like others eat chocolate or cakes) which I have VERY rarely have. Every Monday is my water only fast day. It takes about a month to get to grips with. It does get easier after that. I get the majority of my carbs from veggies and nuts. Some fruit in moderation. Some meat in moderation. As I tell my wife Im a vegetarian that likes to eat a little bit of meat.

Try a water fast, if you can do it great, if not at least you gave it a go.

Good luck.

bigbooty….thanks for sharing your personal success!!! It will keep me motivated!!!

Like I said earlier I will definitely try water fast on Thursday. Let’s see how it goes!!

Thanks again!!!

Drink lots of water. I chew gum like there is no tomorrow (I find it helps). I do allow myself two cups of coffee with a splash of milk (no sugar) on my water fast. So maybe in reality I have about 30 calories for the day. Not enough to knock me out of ketosis which I measure with a keto meter. Initially it was taking 48-60 hours to get into ketosis, I now enter ketosis within 24 hours. You may experience some lower back pain which I put down to your kidneys releasing a lot of toxins during your water fasts. Also your mouth may taste bad. Both of these side effects disappear after a few weeks as you give your body time to purge all the built up toxins. Good luck.

I guess talking to you guys have really helped….

Guess what? After doing my fast yesterday I stepped on my weighing scale this morning and it has finally moved…LOST little over a pound….it is big for me. Lowest in long time!!!
    Simcoeluv…you were right. I was probably on a plateau for all this time!!

Thanks for all the encouragement….I will continue on my diet and really looking forward to counting and doing my water fast on Thursday!!!

Very happy!!!

Where are you regulars? 🙂 Well, Halloween was a bust for me! Remember my vow to avoid chocolate? Well, it didn’t happen! Mini butterfingers and Twix did me in! Yikes! Back to the proverbial drawing board! Making a big pot of chicken/veggie soup in the crockpot for tonight. That should help in getting on track. I think a 4 day cleanse is in order next week. I’d do one now but I have yet another baby shower for another niece on Saturday.

How are you all doing? Missing hearing from you!

Cinque, did your granddaughter go trick-or-treating?

Lori, did you stay out of the Halloween candy when handing it out to the little trick-or-treaters? 😉

Congrats Sarla on the movement on the scale. To add to my comments prior, after not losing much the first couple months, I did revise my diet as BB mentions to be lower on the carb scale with no sugar/gluten/dairy and only whole foods. Sounds crazy strict but there are so many great websites with awesome recipes (including terrific baked goods made with things like almond and coconut flour) that you don’t miss the junky stuff! Anyhow, I started losing after that change so looking at eating cleaner might be of help too! 🙂 Continued good luck/success to you! 🙂

Have a lovely day ladies!

Way to go Sarla. Sherryann I don’t think Im that strict but maybe I am going by my wife’s roll of the eyes when I mention food? I do like yogurt (plain greek style) and I do love real cheese, the stuff doesn’t come in plastic slices. Good luck with it ladies.

We had a long, grueling travel day today. Virginia Beach to Myrtle beach. It took over 6 hours because of detours from Hurricane Matthew. Areas of flooding and road closures. Our condo is OK…Nothing special. Is clean. That’s the main thing. Hoping we’re able to get a good night’s sleep. We’re here for 3 nights and then moving to a big condo when the other 7 girls join us for the last 3 nights.

I haven’t been eating too much junk, but some bread and carbs that I don’t usually eat. I’m sure I’m gaining weight, but hopefully not too much.

About to have a glass of wine to relax. Hope all is well with everyone.

I bet you enjoyed that glass of wine Lori!
    So sorry about the lost earring. I an dreadful with jewelry, I have had a few pieces that were precious to me that I lost. I still think about them sometimes (artisan made amethyst ring, another ring with three colours of gold in it, and a little necklace that spelled out ‘peace’ in the shape of a dove.)

Hi Sherry, Oh well if there is a once a year time to enjoy sweet things, it is Halloween!
    Halloween hasn’t been a tradition in Australia, however there is money to be made, so every year it is being pushed more, my granddaughter hasn’t noticed it yet though! (I completely avoided it too!)

It is another Thursday half fast day for easing me into 5:2 maintenance. I am working out how I like to do them. I rather like feeling hungry all afternoon and then having my big bowl of miso soup, but having an extra something earlier in the day just makes it less intense, which is a bit of a treat!

I am still super busy every day, but I do feel like we are getting there!

Best wishes for your day!

Hi all,
    FD today. Just had “breakfast” – trying to eat that first meal later so I am not so ravenous when I get home from work, or as cranky lol.
    Sarla, I try to be strict about calories on my fast days counting everything and to not go crazy on my regular days. It’s not a case of “making up” for what you missed on the FD. As a rule I don’t tend to eat a lot of carbs like bread or potatoes etc. I like rice crackers but mostly eat the protein and veggies rather than adding a starch to the meal or bread. I’m trying to not “undo”‘ the FD by over eating on the other days. Scale is slowly heading down. Even when there is no loss, I’m still happy to see I haven’t gained. Mostly I notice my clothes feel different and I feel different even if it’s not reflected on the scale.
    Enjoy your day!

Hi all,

A quick hello to everyone. I’ve been in a funk this past week since I came back from Hawaii. My eating has not be great and I can’t seem to get in the mood to do a proper fast though I will try hard to do one tomorrow. As I said, after this weekend (baby shower on Sat., Disneyland on Sun.), I plan to do a four day cleanse to give myself a good “re-set”. Doing the cleanse always seems to help me reframe as it were.

Hey, BB, I didn’t mean to say you eat exactly like me, but somewhat similar in that it seems you eat pretty “clean”! Btw, I do eat sheep/goat dairy. Thanks for all your help/cheering us on!

Lori, I don’t know why, but I was thinking you were just on a weekend trip (so of course you weren’t around for the trick or treaters). Sounds like a wonderful time you’re having! Enjoy!

Cinque, yes, we Americans are great at trying to export all our holidays to other places (just to get everyone to buy way too much stuff/candy/toys, etc). Hold strong! Don’t fall for it! 😉 Here’s hoping you get “there” sooner rather than later!

Hi Sue, good for you that the clothes are feeling looser and the weight is slowly going down. It’s not a race and it will happen!

Ok, time to get stuff done. I wish you all luck as we finish off this week (wish it for me too…I REALLY need it this week!).

Sherry

Cinque, I meant to say “get there” in terms of completing your project! 😉

Hi all….I certainly had a good week. I have tracked everything this week and did almost water fast yesterday. I have stayed below 1200 on my NFD’s.

Bigbooty and Simcoeluv….I have done what you guys have suggested and it has worked….I am done by 3lbs in total this week. The scale has finally moved in the right direction. I did try the water fast and was pretty much able to do it except in the evening with my tea I had very crackers. I was just craving some salt. But other than that I two cups of tea and lots of water all day. I will try it again next week.

Feeling so good from inside and very motivated!! Thanks again!!!

Thanks Sherry! I knew what you meant (because it is practically all I think about all the time!) and I do appreciate it. I’m up early today to try and get organised ahead of the week starting!

Sarla, so nice the scales are moving! All power to you!

Sue, congratulations on your steady progress, and especially that loveliest of feeling as clothes get looser!

Fast Day today!

Best wishes to you all!

Hello!

Today was a little less of a struggle than earlier in the week but still not a great eating day. I did get into the chips (kips for Cinque’s granddaughter!) and a mini cannoli at the baby shower today. Tomorrow is Disneyland which should actually work out ok since there’s lots of walking and there are some healthy eating choices.

I’ll check back in on Monday. Hoping to hear more from our long lost members in the upcoming week as it’s been way too quiet here! 😉

Cheers!

Viewing 50 posts - 4,251 through 4,300 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.