Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 5,077 total)

• Yippee!!! Great news Salma, into the eighties, you so deserve this.

And good news about wine too! Love the stuff but it’s my nemesis, can’t leave a bottle unfinished. Must fess up, bought a box of wine on Monday, OH thinks tgstcwill stop me finishing the bottle. Not convinced, but has one glass Monday night and none since. As its red and I drink about 20 bottles of white to one red, really should buy twenty boxes of white.

Perhaps not!

I’m happy sticking to TDEE or less, only because I don’t have to. I like the idea of banking calories, funny how our minds work. Big difference between a calorie restricted diet, immediately feeling hard done by, or even a diet that cuts out loads of food choices, to 5:2, where I just try to eat when hungry rather than at set mealtimes.

‘Can’t have’ seems to be my trigger for food. Wonder if it’s just food, would I want Brad Pitt if he came looking for me?

Now that’s a daft question!

Hey There,

Glad to hear things are going so swimmingly Salma! Congratulations on passing that goal! It’s been really tough for me to get below 120 pounds (54 kilos).

As fate would have it, due to a schedule change and doing aerials on Saturday, I’m fasting again today. I hope this and the lower TDEE jog things a bit.

Also, I don’t count calories every day. I make up cards with my meals for the day and calorie counts and rotate them. That way I know exactly how many calories I’m having per day. I don’t claim this will work for anyone else, but it works for me. Just a thought. Happy weekends one and all!

YAY! Salma on seeing that new low number!! I had that feeling yesterday and this morning a bit over a pound is back! 🙁 I know it’s not a pound of fat since I had a “half-fast” yesterday. We did quite a bit of dumbbell work yesterday at boot camp, so I”m attributing the slight gain to muscle soreness.

Today is an “anything goes” day and I’m looking forward to it. I won’t go hog wild, but I’ll certainly have a nice dinner out tonight along with an adult beverage. I’ll pack a light lunch to take to work as it’s going to snow later and I don’t want to go out running around at lunch time.

Tomorrow is to be another 1,000 calorie day in an effort to keep my whole weekend from being an eat, eat, eat event. Being a bit more mindful on just one of the weekend days should help considerably.

I could have slept in this morning, but my “furry alarm clock” had other ideas. She got me up at 4AM. Would anyone like to adopt a nice ginger cat? 😉

Have a lovely Friday!

Hey Lori,

I know the feeling about the pound coming back. That has been happening to me a lot of this week (though it hasn’t come back really–more been staying the same really–just as frustrating though when I’m really sticking to the program). Best of luck with your cat, though it sounds like he/she has you trained very well :-).

Have a great weekend!

Hi All

Thank you for your tips had a really good FD yesterday in the end. I think I will forego the sweeteners and go without. Will let you all know how my first way in goes next Tuesday. Well done Salma. Reading you all chatting about weight issues is great better than all of the other diet clubs I have been to which is a lot and costly. Anyway hope you all have a good weekend.

Hi Milena

Still a great loss. How long have you been doing it? My scales have a difference of 5 lbs. This is within about 5 seconds. I do weigh myself more than once a week to see if I can eventually get a couple of days that agree with each other. I thought I would solve this problem and bought a Salter scale that does fat content, water etc. Even if this isn’t totally accurate at least it should be the weight won’t fluctuate as much in one morning weigh in. Salter is a good weight so I program in my height etc, weigh the first day and the second day it isn’t working at all. It’s on its way back. I did try it again no luck.

I must say I am often under TDEE but that is with only a little bit of mindfulness and a bit of what I fancy.

Last night I watched the sugar program and two days before had a fast day. I had a low low sweet and sour and there are nearly three teaspoons on sugar in in. So it adds around 45 calories.

Oh the pitfalls,,,,,, what a learning curve.

Salma

Well done on your weight loss.

Enjoy a glass of wine, they say it is good for you if you have a small glass and not one of those mini bucket size glasses. A friend of mine has spritzers now. This for her is a way of cutting down. It also cuts down on the calories and helps make it the longer drink.

I have kept the sugar program to look again at how they make the sweet and sour. I didn’t need the rice and I would have rather had more chicken.

Anyone with any nice easy recipes. I would love a barbecue sauce one – as low sugar as I can get. I like to include ingredients from my cupboard if I can. I just want to add a bit or variety. I might go and have a look on slimming world.

Ginette

Hi Lori

I have two cats a d I don’t let them into the bedroom. One is just over a year old and the other about 3. The youngest one is the naughtiest and I keep a water spark on hand to calm him down. The other is now relatively quiet. I imagine the young one swinging from the light and dive bombing the bed while I am asleep. I don’t sleep well so the last thing I need is one of them waking me up.

I am checking sugar content in everthing today. So far 2 slices of wholemeal seeded bread 1 sugar for 2 slices. Had with ham no nutritional facts on this packet and tomato. So not so bad. Did anyone else see the documentary?

Your cat waking you up reminded me of this cartoon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XMiAQkkLy1E

Ginette

Ginette,

I love my cat, but would sure like to reset her clock! She sleeps at the foot of our bed, but is a VERY early riser. When she is ready to get up, she jumps down and heads for a big wooden clothes wardrobe that I have in our room and starts using it as a scratching post! She knows I leap out of bed when she starts that. Right after I went to bed last night she started doing that so I sat up and threw a stuffed animal that I keep nearby at her. She took off like a shot and then was a good girl till 4AM. As the weather gets nicer, she prefers to be outside at night on the prowl, so I’ll be able to get more sleep! 😉

Hello all,
    First Salma congrats!! Enjoy!
    Re sugar. I’m reading more and more, as I’m sure you all are that it’s really sugar that has caused the obesity issue, not fat. I eat low carb, high fat (think bacon and eggs, avocado, oils, butter, nuts, cheese, cream). So I look for low to no sugar in anything I buy. I do have a square or two a couple of times a week of a very good dark chocolate. I try to buy very little processed food. Looks like most of us enjoy wine!! I know I do-none on fast days of course but 1-2 glasses about 1/2 of the other evenings with dinner. Last night…many glasses of champagne. Veuve Cliquot (?spelling) had a 50 year anniversary of something dinner here. It was lovely!

Hello All,

My nutritionist could tell you buckets about the evils of sugar. It’s in so many processed foods (good for those of us who have cut those down/out). In fact, he has a lecture that he does where he gets a 5 pound bag of sugar and empties maybe an eighth to a quarter of it on a plate, and then says that is the average amount of sugar most people consume in a day! Quite frightening.

I’m almost embarrassed to say that the only wines I have ever developed a taste for are meads, very sweet ports, and Japanese plum wine (did I mention I have a sweet tooth)? However, I’ve been off all of the above completely since well before 5:2 (though there is a bottle or two in the fridge (wines get better with age, don’t they ;-)?

Hi all, I am nearly 59 and started this diet on 6 January. I have been obsessed with food all my life but this diet appeals to me because you can have a life as well as lose weight. I have been on lots of diets in the past notably I did Lighter Life some years ago and lost a lot of weight. Soon put it all back on though as it was not sustainable.

I did not weigh myself before the start of this diet and have not done so since. I find weighing disheartening but know I am doing o.k. As my trousers are loose! Also people are always asking how much have you lost and what did you weigh so as I don’t know I can’t tell them.

Enjoy all your posts and look forward to joining in with you.

Welcome Topsy T

I do weigh myself quite often as it is so interesting to see how weight fluctuates. I only record my weight once a week. I too can notice a change in the looseness of clothes. When I am so much overweight it is difficult for other people to notice. Hopefully someone will notice when I have lost another stone or two. I feel so much better. More in control. I enjoy the fast days as much as non fast days.

We started at roughly the same time I was 8th of January and will weigh tomorrow am. Next time I go to the doctor I shall get bloods taken and then I will have something to look back on in a few months time.

Good luck

Ginette

Janeyw

I have never been that interested in nutrition as now. I used to eat ready meals often as I worked really late. I now handle ever have a ready meal. I prefer to batch cook. I must say the one thing I have cut down on without trying is potatoes. I might have the. Twice a week. Three times VERY occasionally. I only have two slices of wholemeal bread a day.

The 5:2 has just made me eat differently. It wasn’t even a conscious decision. Looking at sugar content is a concious decision but I will always have sweet treats. I am just trying to avoid hidden sugar. Luckily I rarely have alcohol. Don’t like beer or any soft fizzy drinks so I avoid all of these pitfalls.

I do enjoy cheese but eat it in moderation. The only time I eat white bread is in France. I may be over there later in the year, but if you had tasted the wholemeal over there you would see why. So dense and heavy. Why they can’t make a wholemeal version of some of their other breads, who knows. Although a 100gms of white french bread is much more is volume than English bread.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Ginette

HTopsyT

Welcome, so you’re the gal whose trousers are going to fall down? We are soooo looking go emulate you! Wonderful! Are you measuring? Good to see you here and looking forward to hearing about your journey.

Verve Clicquot, oh you wonderful gal fastdiet, thank you for bringing up such an important subject, no matter how you spell it, Widow Clicquot invented the technique of dry champagne, we fall at her feet, imagine dry champagne, dry hence no sugar and champagne hence no calories. – yes really!!!! Otherwise known as Ambrosia, the drink of the Gods (do NOT mistake with Ambrosia custard, if you HAVE to have custard, and of course you do, make it with cream and eggs, and do at least two extra fast days before, so you can enjoy a decent portion!

Do y’all realise that one of THE MOST IMPORTANT side effects of 5:2 is that we spend less on food, hence we can afford decent wine. Losing weight, though great, is only as side effect of being able to afford GREAT food and drink Soooo FA (Foodie Alcoholics) (must be careful, this libertarian thinking could get me into trouble.)

I, on behalf of the group, promise to drink a bottle of Madame Clicquot’s invention at EVERY 20lb loss. Seems the decent thing to do! I once visited the company and bought a few bottles. Rather good! If anyone would like to join me in this pledge, I will undertake to find the cheapest price – being married to a Scot has that effect!

Strange choices today, got to court, 80 miles plus a 20 minute ferry, stayed in Dunoon a couple of hours. Met the lady who was in the other car, young guy was ovetaking her, didnt notice us on the other side of the road, minor smash, so easily could have been as fatal crash (son was very upset at the thought of losing Mum, Dad, AND the little red sports car) anyway lad pleaded guilty at the last minute, to dangerous driving, waste of a day, this lady brought new boyfriend for supposrt as she had never been in court before, boyfriend was an old friend, six degrees of separation????

Feastday, two drive through costa lattes, one slice of bread, a ton of grapes and a steak and rye bread sandwich, plus LARGE glass of red wine. soo tasty and under 1200 calories.

fastdiet1115, I’m glad we are both having low carbs and high fat.

Welcome Topsy T. I started 5:2 on 10 January, though didn’t really understand it well or even figure out my TDEE until the next day. My clothes are looser as well.

Ginette, it’s good to know we’re both interested in doing 5:2 in a healthy way. I might have occasional unhealthy food, but figure as long as I keep that to a minimum (and perhaps fast the next day) all should go well.

Milena, I think marking progress is a great idea. I’m close to my first 20 pound loss myself, and am really pleased. I’m also quite relieved to hear the car crash was more minor than it might have been.

Welcome Topsy T… nice to see you here.

Milena.. No! not the red sports car! 🙂 So glad you are well, alive and kicking. Life can change so completely in a matter of seconds, so it falls to us to live our lives well and with largesse. I applaud your suggestion of a pledge for wonderful dry champagne at the loss of, in my case (pun?), 10 Kgs (22 Lbs). Still a long way to go, sadly. Can I sneak in a few glasses here and there until then?

Painfully, the scales recorded 90.2 Kg this morning. However, I have to admit that I did go overboard yesterday. I probably went over 2000 cals. I was a a conference with all those bite sized thingys and in the evening, I indulged in a dinner out with a friend, potato and leek soup, wonderful Quinoa and chickpea salad and a large glass of red wine. My biggest indulgence, though, was a MOLTEN CHOCOLATE PIE with vanilla ice cream. I do not regret it; it was heavenly, gooey and chocolaty.The smell on its own was worth it. So.. back over the milestone.. and back to the grindstone for me 🙁

Ah well. Have a good day everyone.
    I am hoping for a 1000 cal day today

Hi Salma

I think its time to introduce rules – in the style of Gibbs of NCIS.

Rule #1 Dry champagne, or indeed any decent dry wine, can be drunk at every milestone, everytime one is particularly happy, and at any time a gee up is needed. As it contains no calories, no sugar and no fat. (But only the first glass, of course). Those for whom dry wine is not the celebration of choice, or indeed the support of choice, may choose an alternative. All indulgences excluding food are allowed. Chocolate can be consumed, but remember only the first two pieces (pieces, not bars) are fat and calorie free, and only very good quality chocolate at that.

Rule #2 As we are here to lose weight, only weight LOSS is to be recorded, except if the weight gain is over 2 kilos, or 5lbs. Slighter weight gain can ALWAYS be attributed to food still in the gut. No point in worrying about bowel movements.

Rule #3 Whilst you are allowed to weigh yourself as often as you like, only the lowest weight in any week counts. Please remember that the earth’s gravitational pull changes, so minor increases can always be blamed on Mr Newton.

Rule #4 ALWAYS relate tales of great food you have had. (Imagine weightwatchers suggesting that!)

Rule #5 NEVER feel guilty about eating great food.

Rule #6 You may weigh yourself to check any weight gain after great food, but only to guage bowel movements.

Enough for now, feel free to add more!

Salma, soup, salad and one glass of wine? You know, I would call that indulgence too! And just the one portion of dessert? Shows just how well things are going, not long ago this treat wouldnt have been termed indulgence, I think for some of us, certainly me, it would have been considered on the very light side of normal.

Balancing it out over the next day or two is easy, so you aren’t just doing fine, you are inspiring us all. Paricularly with the chocolate pie!!!!!

Milena! I love those rules! I agree with each and every one.

I had a lovely meal last night beginning with a nice glass of wine. I had a salad and a yummy, soft wheat roll slathered with butter. Then came the main course of broiled seafood. A piece of Haddock, a crab cake, 4 big shrimp and 4 huge scallops. I did give DH a couple of the scallops and a shrimp or 2. The biggest indulgence was the side of macaroni & cheese. I was over full, but very happy with my meal.

Of course the scale was up this morning what will all that food still making it’s way thru my system! Today is a half-fast which may be a bit difficult as I’ll just be sitting around the house all day. I’ll do my best!

Have a great Saturday everyone!

Morning all.
    On the subject of cats…. early in the morning one of mine would start shredding the carpet under the bed as he knew that would get me up. Cure? Get out of bed, chase the cat from the bedroom, shut the door and go BACK to bed. Once he realised his behaviour wasn’t getting the desired result he stopped doing it. And the carpet is now safe…

On the subject of weighing…. I’m taking the approach of weigh daily to monitor but the “official” figure is on the morning of the first fast day of the week. That way I’m not getting over excited about really low figures 2 days after a fast day (empty colon) then getting depressed when it goes up as I eat actual food over the next few days (full colon). I’m still on target for a 2-2½lb weight loss this week.

I have found that 5:2 has made me more aware of what I eat although I refuse to actually count calories on a food day. And after several months of low carb intake (insulin resistance which seems to have reversed now) I find my palette has changed. There is a bakery in the village which does proper bread ……. and cakes….. oh dear. Yesterday I bought a cupcake, lemon buttercream topping. 6 months ago I would have killed for a cupcake but couldn’t due to the IR….. now…? I cut a small piece so I could try it. Then I took a knife and scraped the rest of the buttercream into the bin. It was so sweet it tasted sickly. The sponge itself was nice but the topping….. yuk.

I never thought I’d say this but the idea of an apple now appeals more than cake…. !

Hi Firehorse. The idea of apple appeals more than cake to me too, but not more than good chocolate or good ice cream, more’s the pity.

I love your rules Milena.. especially Rule #4 ALWAYS relate tales of great food you have had and Rule #5 NEVER feel guilty about eating great food. I totally agree.
    I love the rule that says the first liter of champagne is calorie free.. I will not invoke science on that one 🙂

The soup/salad/wine/pie combination was only for dinner! I had had munchable stuff all through the day AND lunch (although it was a healthy broiled fish & veg). So, not entirely halo-inducing.
    Today is not promising to be much better. Second day of conference and too much food around. I have just had a Twix (yes the two fingers).. and the strange thing is that I do not normally eat like this. It must be the boredom of having to endure people droning on and on in the conference. Most people have no clue how to present.. or how to speak so others actively listen. Too many earnest types. Yawn!

I do not think I will achieve my 1000 cals today. In fact, I know I haven’t and the day is not over yet. Still. I think I should put the brakes on for today and maybe just have a piece of fruit or soup for dinner.

I hope others are having a better day.

JayneW and Salma

I think I am missing something. How to I work out my goal TDEE. I went shopping today and it took 2 hours as I was looking at all the sugar content in everything.

Hi All,

All this talk of food is making me hungry! It must be nice to have a high enough TDEE that you can actually eat like a normal person and watch the scales go down. However, I don’t mean to sound upset at all. I’m not really. Today I finally trimmed down below the 20 pound mark since starting 5:2 (well 20.2 pounds/9.2 kilos/1.4 stone). It seems like it has taken forever to get below 120 pounds, but after yesterday’s fast day I have finally done it! Yippee, hooray! I honestly can’t recall the last time I weighed this amount–though it might have been 1994-1998! Onward and downward!

Mammar, another forum recommended this TDEE calculator. I’ve been using it, though for some reason it doesn’t work well for everyone. Put in your goal weight and see what transpires. Hope this helps. Please let us know what you think of it.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/calorie-calculator/ITT-20084939

Also, regarding shopping, my nutritionist suggests to “shop the periphery of the store” as he puts it. He says all the processed food with lots of sugar and other ickys is in the middle of the store, so if you only buy what’s just inside the outer wall of the store (usually things like produce, etc.) there’s better food available. Of course, that’s not always the case (for example, olive oil–that I’ve been consuming lots of late is in the middle of the store, as is the health food section where I get my dishwashing liquid and laundry detergent), but you get the general idea. Then again, he’s opposed to chocolate–insufferable man.

milena – LOVE your rules!! You are so funny, can’t wait for your sitcom to be on tele.

Hi Mammar

Had to laugh at how long it took you. I must admit I cheacked some of the regular things I have online. My treats I like, only work out at about 250 calories so not too bad. They might not have much nutritional benefit but a great psychological one.

My son alway said he can’t bear shopping with me as I look at the labels. before it was for calorie content, now I will look at both. I don’t like shopping with him either so it suits us both. We are both doing the 5:2. I count everything, he estimates too much. I am getting him in the habit of looking at the labels and he will do sometimes, but never weighs anything. Sigh….. Luckily being a man it is easier for him to lose weight.

Well done Janeyw on your achievement. You must feel so pleased.

Milena, have a glass of whatever you like when you achieve the target you have set with my blessing.

I think we all have to set out own rules as we are all different. Any easy fast day ideas would be great as long as I don’t have to spend time in the kitchen near temptation. Even the strangest foods can seem appealing.

Since I had a bad knee injury I do my main shop online. I find that this avoids temptation. I still do small shops though. I get all of the heavy stuff delivered. As ASDA and Tesco deliver for £1 it is cheaper than driving there. I avoid being swayed by offers that way as well.

Not sure if everybody has the online delivery option. Let’s me know. In England you need to spend £25 for delivery at the shops I have mentioned. With cat food, litter and cleaning products as well as groceries that is easy.

I only have online about once a month, as I like to have to go to the shops as well.

Firehorse I am glad your cat has stopped ripping the carpet, I have to redecorate the hall this summer as my cat ripped the wallpaper when he was a kitten. I need him to grow out of that stage before I redecorate.

Salma is 1000 calories your TDEE? How difficult! mine is about 1700, very achievable. 95% on the time I eat well under that, only the occasional day I go over.

Woke my Wii up yesterday first time in well over a year and started exercising. I did brilliantly on it before but it takes me about three weeks to get into the habit. I hope that will stimulate the weight loss. Does anyone else use this method of exercising? It is great for people who aren’t used to exercising as they have lots of games that only last about 3 -5 minutes but by the time I do repeats and then a few more games it easily adds up. Wii fit counts the calories burnt too. I realise this might not be completely accurate but I set myself a calories used target to get to. This was 200 each time I used it during the week and 300 at the weekend. Then I had an overall target I wanted to reach which I remember being about 1000 and then going up higher as the weeks progressed. I remember not finishing until I reached that target and this made me do a mixture of exercises (they are more like games) to reach it.

Anyone doing HIT?

How is everyone doing this weekend?

Ginette

Well done JayneyW. Thanks for the link. Its given me a different TDEE which is quite a bit lower do going to stick to this.

Hi Ginnette I think I will have to have the psychological treat as well rather than the nutritional one you need it every now and again. Not having a too bad a weekend. Decided to go running with my sister tomorrow so see how that goes. Anyway have a good evening.

Hi Ginette, I got my Wii out yesterday for the first time in about 2 years. I had such trouble getting it to show on the screen, you wouldn’t believe it! I blame Spanish teles. And then I didn’t have the right batteries for the hand held thingy, and we forgot to get them when we were out today. I am looking forward to having a go when I finally get it up and running.
    We are having a Chinese night, aromatic crispy duck (we have been to Iceland today) spare ribs and oven chips. With a large glass of red (not sweet so doesn’t count, in fact I don’t think Saturdays count anyway do they?)

Applepie you are a hoot!

I had to go on the Internet to figure out my wii. Ginette , has got me into it too. Sadly my knee and hip keeps giving out a bit walking now lol. The alcohol I am about to consume will work as an anti inflammatory lol

Is anyone closeish to me, I am in the north west. Merseyside, though it used to Lancashire and I’m still a Lancs Lass. Would be nice to meet for a coffee sometime. I might start a new thread, when I stay here long enough to figure out, I bet Ginette knows

Hi

The point of the rules is to adhere the ones that you fancy, and the ones which apply to you. If you feel like it, please add more . I think you should add that Saturday doesn’t count, Apple pie. Like that one, especially as I had to abandon my fast today, coffee out with very stressed friend, it was a two latte problem!!! She felt so much better afterwards, so worth the sacrifice (she said polishing her halo). Had rye bread with prawns, poached salmon, guacamole, peppers tomatoes, cucumber and Salad leaves. And quite a lot of mayo. Just to make sure I had some fat!!

Fasting tomorrow and Monday, got a head cold so probably a good time for back to back, as losing my sense of taste anyway.

Good day otherwise, watched James Martin, brilliant and watched the rugby, amazing!!! Well done Ireland, but brilliant play by England and France!! And Wales. Wooden spoon for Scotland, must have a full canteen by now!!! It takes grit to be a Scottish rugby supporter. Though I have NO sympathy for the two I live with.

Re cats, be strict, but give them extra hugs, my girl has just had another mini-stroke. Looking a bit doddery at the mo, last of a long line and I bred her myself. A naughty cat is a healthy cat, hope I’m yelling at her as usual very soon!

Have a grateful Sunday, travel hopefully…

Ginette, he’s leaving the bedroom carpet alone but can’t quite resist the landing carpet (the bit where it goes over the edge onto the stairs is just too much temptation for him). Cure? The carpet will be coming up and will be replaced with oak flooring…. scratch THAT Max….!

Been picking at food today 🙁 I know I’m not actually hungry. Need to go do something practical / useful / to keep me busy!

Milena, sorry to hear about your girl. Give her a hug for me.

Hi Ginetter.. no, no, no.. my TDEE is most definitely NOT 1000. I couldn’t live with that. Some calculators (like the one here) gives me a TDEE of 2364. Others like the one Janeyw suggests gives me a much lower TDEE of around 1900 (I am a tallish girl – 170 cm). In any case, I don’t really pay any attention to all that. I just fast 2 days a week and eat what I want the rest of the time. I do try to keep the “what I want” within the healthy range and not to overdo it, but sometimes, I do.

You guys have inspired me to dig out my Wii and use the wii fit. I will not bother tonight, but maybe tomorrow as today was a total disaster as far as calories were concerned. I am sure I have eaten way over what I should, so I will try to cut back a bit tomorrow.

Milena.. hope you feel better tomorrow.

I am relieved to hear that Saturday’s don’t count, as the wheels fell off my plan today! I just picked and nibbled all day.

My cat slept in this morning….what a good girl. It was nearly 5:30! I’m afraid closing the bedroom door would not work as she would paw at the door and sing “The song of her people” until I let her in! She can be quite persistent.

Well, I won’t be happy with the number on the scale in the morning, but no one to blame but myself. It was just one of those days.

I have a mountain of laundry to tackle tomorrow. I really don’t mind that chore. Wish the sun would shine so I could wash some rugs and hang them outside. It’s going to be quite cold tomorrow.

Later!

You and me both Lori! Ate really haphazardly today. I won’t weigh myself tomorrow to avoid depression.
    Laundry tomorrow for me too.
    Still.. we can fix it all next week, eh?

Blummin’heck Salma, nearly fell off my chair, if you WERE a TDEE of 1000, what would that make me, short and sedentary, which is a rather nice way of describing bone idle. Probably something too low to be able to even divide by four.

Rule #7 Find a TDEE which works for you! Do your best to stay within it. When you can. Except when you can’t.

Wii sounds good, except I’m rarely alone in the house, boys would enjoy the sight of me wobbling, but would take it off me within 5 minutes to play themselves. Better than me too. Anyway son has sold the disc thingy.

Cat – Willow – has had hugs. Snuggling into OH ‘s neck at the moment. Sweet.

Hi Ginette, You asked if anyone was doing HIT. I am–thrice weekly at the moment.

Also, I know some of you will be happy to know that I fell off the wagon today as well–I had exactly one slice of gluten-, soy-, and dairy-free bread. I suppose I could have one less tablespoon of olive oil to make up for it, but since I’m already pretty far under my TDEE for my current weight, I think I’ll just have all the oil I’m supposed to for today. This was a special occasion–there have to be some allowances for those. I wish Saturdays didn’t count, but I know better, and will be back to fasting on Saturdays again next week.

Hi Jayneyw, would be happy to know the fall didn’t hurt and that you were able to climb back on the wagon. You are our wee star! Very inspiring.

Amazing success too, are you far off target yet? In my dreams I would hope to get to under 130, though the TDEE at that weight seems impossible, hopefully I begin to get fit before then.

Hi Milena and all,

I figured out a way to stay under my new TDEE (including the whole 6 tablespoons of olive oil) today, so no harm done, and I won’t be off the wagon today after all. Whew! Many thanks for your comment Milena. Your support means a lot to me.

In answer to your other question, I will know better after meeting with the naturopath on Friday, but as of this morning I was just under 30 pounds/2 1/4 stone/13.5 kilos to my lowest goal (that’s at the most, and possibly less), so not quite half way to my lowest goal, though a fair way along to my highest. I hope that makes sense.

Well done all of you for dusting your Wiis off!

I am so proud. I really lost loads of weight doing just this and eating what a wanted before. I had a friend who was dieting and hopping mad because I was doing better than her and eating what I wanted.

I do however now advocate the healthier option of eating most of the time with some carefully planned treats that aren’t so calorie laden…sometimes the odd one which isn’t.

The Wii thingy is called a consul, really cheap now second hand on ebay. To weigh and monitor on there you will need a balance board. The Wii plus game again on eBay buy it now for about £6 free postage. You will also need the balance board again you can buy this on eBay second hand.

The Wii has exercises that are cleverly worked out to tone all areas. Not the boring type of toning though but as a game.

An example is pin ball:

your Mii (character you make) stands in a pinball machine, it is given a task to add up to either 15 or 20. The pins all have numbers on them. To do that you have to move your hips to hit the pins at the side and to hit the ones at the back and front you have to move your stomach out or bottom out. The clock counts down and you have a limited time to complete. As you play you get better and faster and beat the clock. It scores you every time, the competitive part makes you want to play it. It certainly tones you up and uses muscles you haven’t used in ages, it’s not even much movement so it is quite surprising.

There is the bird one where you have to bend forwards and backwards only slightly, and flap your wings to get onto the target areas, the targets are all at sea and the final aim is to reach the ship. Quite good fun and will make you look really silly.

The obstacle course is also good there are about three or four stages to this and you have to learn to avioid the obstacles, it is fun trying to master all of the levels, very addictive

There are many more games on it, I had the Wii fit plus which I think there are more games on. Ignore the Wii U as it is expensive and Wii fit u has lost some good games and only added a couple. I have both.

I will see if I can post some links to the individual games for those who have never used it.

I like that fact that it shows calories burnt and although I know that this probably isn’t completely accurate I use it as a guide. It also calculates your fit age when you first use it prepare for a shock, I think I gained about 15 years.

If you don’t use ebay I will look and see where else you can buy them. There are many exercise games available for this to play in pairs or families or if not against computer opponents.

I have

Wii Sports
    Wii sports resort
    Wii fit plus
    Ea active

Also some others which I will need to check the names of.

Also I don’t work for Nintendo and never have!!

I like the fact that I can get do them before I get dressed. At first I did about 10 mins twice a day and then I got hooked. Eventually I just tried to do 20 mins. I put the kettle on came and did 10 mins went to make my cup of tea and then got ready for work, later in the day I came in prepared dinner while it was cooking I did another 10 mins. It is easy to do that way I had about three days off of it a week, but did it at least one day over the weekend.

Now I have to make sure that I do it as you all have yours ready to do.

Milena so sorry to hear about your cat, it is so awful when they are ill.

Janeyw well done for doing the HIT how are you finding it?

Firehorse have you got a scratching post. I spray cat nip on mine and they scratch it like crazy

Applepie you are obviously is Spain then. Well done on getting ithe Wii out. If You used to have fun with it you will again.

Salma I too have not been good today, I had it all planned, cooked a double portion yesterday and then I got a phone call to go to my stepmother Pam’s house, she had my sons dog but as she hasn’t been well I had to go up and walk it for him as he was working. She hadn’t eaten and asked me to get a Chinese curry and chips, we shared one half each. Tomorrow is another day and Next week I will be extra good to make up for it.

On leaving Pam’s to come home at 10 pm my friend called as her Dad had fallen down the stairs, he is about late eighties, she asked if I could sit with her daughter who is disabled while she went to hospital with him. She got in at 3,30am so I was home about 4. He had a CT scan and he was very lucky. The fact that he had taken a sleeping tablet about 2 hours before helped him as it meant he was less tense when he fell down the stairs. They haven’t got all the tests back yet but early indications seem good.

I’m now off to bed as it is late here, I hope not to have an adventurous Sunday.

I know I’ve rambled a bit I hope you understand my post.

This is like therapy!

Night All

Ginette

Couldn’t resist this is part one of a video explains it so much better than I do. Also leads to part to

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PW94AVR5X4I

Ok last one Wii fit plus video from Nintendo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t3pfQdADxEs

Milena-love the rules! Especially after the champagne dinner we had out on Thursday night!
    Had fast day #3 today and it went well. 475 cals. Golfing tomorrow and having DH bachelor friends over for dinner (burgers on the grill). They’re not really bachelors but all 3 of the wives are traveling so they are “baching it”.
    3 days was good for me this week, think I’ll try for 3 again this coming week. Gonna check out that calculator for TDEE too. I get a variety of numbers depending on which I use.
    Aloha!

Ginette are you sure you don’t work for Nintendo? haha! you have done the trick for me. I am on the point of pressing confirm to buy a Wii fit plus with balancing board! I looked on Amazon.es (Spain) but they were all coming from the UK anyway so I am buying through the UK site even though the postage cost is nearly as much as the item, no free delivery for me, oh no….

I swerved the scales this morning so can’t confirm if Saturdays count or not, but I don’t regret it, the crispy duck was to die for!

Walk along the coast planned for later, what is everyone else up to?

Yes.. Ginette.. I quite agree with Applepie..Are you sure you don’t work for Nintendo?
    Goodness, I had bought the Wii ages ago and I am not sure it works. Since you are such an aficionado of all things Wii, Ginette, do you think it is worth it for me to invest in a Wii Fit Plus? I have the old version that I bought at least 4 years or 5 years back. I did use it briefly, but then forgot all about it. I am not even sure if it still works.

Haven’t heard from MaydayMayday for ages.. I hope Milo is still enjoying his walk by the beach. I f you are still dropping in MaydayMayday, do drop us a line and tell us how you are doing.

Following Milena’s wonderful rules, I will not share what Mr. scales told me this morning. He is being rather unpleasant and, quite frankly, rather rude. Best way to deal with rude people (and things) is to ignore them, so that is what I am doing. Thank you Milena for your wonderful rules.

Today… is LAZY day.. I have no real plans (apart from laundry and recuperating from two days of sitting in a conference and eating rubbish all day). On Sundays, I like to get up make myself a milky coffee, get back into bed and turn on the TV to watch any old rubbish. I like to watch TV movies, the mushier, the better. I sometimes take a bath and read a book, then I make myself a scrambled egg and smoked salmon breakfast with proper brewed coffee and chili jam. Yum! I know you would approve Milena.. scrambled eggs with butter on a piece of multi-grain wholewheat toast and some really top quality chili jam.. puts a zing into Sundays.

I am going to see a play tonight, so there is SOME activity, but it involves nothing more than sitting on my bum and letting someone else do the work, which suits me just fine. Tomorrow is fast day AND gym day, so I have to gear up to all that. Right?

Oh my….green with jealousy about the mention of playing golf. I simply cannot wait until the whole weekend is consumed with walking the golf course.

I think I’ll abandon my daily weighing as it’s getting on my nerves. Up, down, up, down. I think I’ll go back to once a week or whenever I feel like it.

I have the Wii fit plus but haven’t had it turned on for years. I’m not even sure I remember how to use it. Since I started going to boot camp sessions, the only other thing I do is some running when the weather is decent. Speaking of weather, it is to be cold and windy today so that is another day I’m stuck inside. I want to go out for dinner, so that will be the only time I go out.

Boot camp tomorrow morning and then back to work. It’s a fast day, but I’m actually looking forward to it. I hope to have 2 good fast days and 1 half-fast. We’re going away next weekend to see our 12 year old grandson play in a baseball tournament. It’ll be nice to have something different to do on a weekend instead of being stuck inside.

Have a good Sunday!

Hi All,

Ginette, I’ve been taking an HIT class since May or June and it’s been fine. The classes I bought finally ran out this past Wednesday, and honestly, it’s just as well since the naturopath gave me HIIT exercises I’ve been using since December. I really don’t need to pay for classes, though there is another health club that has weekly HIIT classes included with membership. I plan to start a trial membership next week and try one. If so, it’s much cheaper to pay for that gym’s monthly fees than what I was paying for classes alone.

Sorry I can’t relate to the Wii. I do my exercise the old-fashioned way–at the gym–but if it works, don’t fix it I say, and if Wii works for you, have at it!

Didn’t there used to be a rule which said that there are no calories in chips if you take them off someone else’s plate?

Have just worked out the calories in my lunchtime sandwiches on feast day; four slices of wholemeal bread spread with real butter, twelve slices of pastrami, two tomatoes, half an iceberg lettuce and 50g of mayonnaise = 1200 calories. OMG! I know I can eat anything, but there’s a limit. If I cut out butter and go for light mayonnaise it drops down to about 700 calories which may be better.

I notice you are all getting your Wii’s out again, that should last a few weeks before they are consigned to the cupboard again. I gave mine to a charity shop before I moved to Lakeland and I’m not tempted to get another. I may have another go at the Biggest Loser DVD and see if I can keep up for more than the usual two minutes before collapsing.

I’ve found the best thing to do on FD’s is get up, check the weather forcast, go for a long walk, come back and do some vacuuming and general cleaning, do the washing, make four portions of lentil soup for fast day teas, check out the Fast Diet forum, have a shower, lie on the sofa and go to sleep for an hour or two, read a book, watch TV & go to bed. Then do absolutely nothing on a feast day except reading and TV. Seems to work.

Last FD tomorrow and measuring day too. Only weigh myself on the 1st of the month, so a bit to go yet.

Hi Salma

Below is a quote I picked up from Amazon. I never had the first version Wii Fit so can’t tell you myself. I know that an undate that also made the Wii more sensitive to reaction was the Motion control in the Wi remote. As I couldn’t give you a good answer I found someone who could. Also another comment said Wii fit plus was 20 times better.

Comment below:

The Wii Fit Plus!
    I started out with the Wii Fit, and it’s great. It’s makes exercising FUN, and really does give you a pretty good workout, if you keep at it. I hate going to a gym, and don’t really know how to “train” myself and need the motivation from outside myself, so the Wii has been a great way to get moving right in my own home.

Then the Wii Fit PLUS came out, and I got that. At only $20, I couldn’t pass it up! As much as I love the Wii Fit, the Wii Fit PLUS is even better! They’ve obviously done studies on what people do and don’t like about Wii Fit, and made improvements, plus added a lot more. If I could only have one, I’d go for Plus!

I mostly do the aerobics on the Wii, and I like the improvements they’ve made in those activities. I LOVE the bike ride on the island! They’ve added “distractions”, so you don’t notice the burn in your legs from all that pedaling until you are done! And even with the running, you have to pay attention to your surroundings to answer questions at the end, so it’s not such a trying experience.

I also like how they keep track of how many calories your burn–it’s quite an eye opener to work out for 30 mins or so and realize the calories you’ve burned only equal a bagel! Yikes!

And I like the new variety of activities on Wii Fit Plus–I love to fly, and Segway, and run an obstacle course, and throw snowballs!

All in all, both are great, but if you can get Plus I’d go with that.

I didn’t like the snowball one though. I did try it for a couple of times.

Wii fit plus is only the disc if you have the balance board. If you don’t have the Wii remotes with motion plus they are available online. To keep the price down you can look on eBay or probably Amazon as well I haven’t looked here.

Apple pie

I am surprised that you were charged postage from a Spanish site. I thought you wouldn’t be as in England. If it keeps you fit or makes you fitter in the first place which was my case. It is cheaper than the gym. I remember visiting France years ago and looking for a swimming pool, the nearest was miles away and then for a local gym non existent. So not sure what tgey would have is Spain. Being very overweight now I wouldnt go to a swimming pool, I may eventually join the local gym. There you don’t need membership, you just have to have an induction and then pay for every time used.

I am just too overweight to go to the gym at the moment. Get a few more pounds off and I will go.

I think the Wii fit is good for those who feel the same as me couldn’t face swimming and feel too big for the gym, this will help us get fitter and smaller so we can face the outside world. If you do it at home you can find a time when no one is around and there to see your wobbly bits.

A word of caution, warm up and don’t overdo things. Build up to it. You don’t want to strain yourself in any way apart from the out of breath way. That is one reason I want to join the gym for their advice and guidance.

Lori

I commend you for loving the golf course and haven’t played real golf ever. I must say Tiger Woods PGAMasters 11 is great. I play it on tge Wii with a neighbour a couple of times a week. We used to play it far more but after about three years have cut it down. It takes you to Golf courses around the world, I have played in some really exotic places. Not strictly exercise (unless you call swing your arm exercise) and I am sure walking around the real golf course is better. However it did get me about of a chair. I had a sedentry and stressful job and it helped me unwind at about 9 o’clock at night. I am pretty sure that the courses would be shut then.

It has some good reviews even from golfers!!

On another thread they were talking about strawberries. A few years ago in an Italian restaurant where I worked they had strawberries in wine, they cut up strawberries added sugar, I would add stevia now and put them in the Fridge overnight. The strawberries tasted delicious and so did the wine.

Just a thought for the nicer weather, I think they used white wine, nice idea for dessert if you have friends around. But they have to soak overnight. Not trying to encourage people to drink wine you understand, just to eat more strawberries. Haha……

All those doing ANY for of exercise well done! It is just about getting up or out and moving.

Have a good day all

Ginette

Fat Graham

I read someone that you have lost a lot of weight. Well done!

Do you have any stats on it starting weight etc and current weight?

Good for the new people on the forum. I have only been on it a few weeks myself.

It was reading good stories and also the way that people struggled that helped me out. It made me join to encourage, share and moan. Hopefully mostly the first two and not much moaning. It also creates more of an understanding about what a journey we are on. When you have been on the forum you feel we are on the journey together. First forum that I have really accessed on a regular basis.

Hopefully I am a fully fledged member now.

Ginette

Looked up a story on using the Wii fit plus

When you read it please note that you CANT jump of a balance board as it won’t tork, you have to simulate jumping by bending knees a little and then straightening them as if you had jumped. This way it doesn’t jar knees or break the board.

Link below:

https://www.itsuxtobefat.com/exercise/wii-fit-plus-it-actually-is-a-workout.html

I am signing off now I will check back later tonight. Going out for a nice roast dinner before fast day tomorrow.

Ginette

to clarify Graham

rule#8 chips do not contain calories

provided they are from somone elses’s plate, provided you are not caught nicking them, provided you don’t have more than four and provided you show restraint ie salt and vinegar is fine, but you can’t count as calorie free if you dunk them in mayonaise!

or any variation on the rule you think is fair!

Like the lifestyle too. 12 slices of meat for lunch seems to be a guy thing, my son has the same!

Ginette, black pepper on strawberries is rather nice, on Saturday kitchen (why do I still watch cookery programmes??????), the Scottish sikhs did strawberries in sugar, black pepper and cinnamon.

Personally, dunked in a glass of cold sparkling wine does it for me.

Hopefully you and I will be joining the gymmies soon! I think I am too fat at the mo and unlike salma, Im not brave!!! You know you are my hero, Salma!! Hope the weekend is great for you. Tomorrow is another (fast) day. Im right behind you! Having a day watching films too, nursing my cold.

Janey, wines do get better with age, they certainly dont spoil. Though my expertise extends only to keeping bottles for a few weeks, and only then when we bring cases home from trips to France, it often takes us a couple of months to get through the 100 bottles we bring back!!!

(Really am a reformed character – being really good this year, only room for an overnight bag in the little car, and only if the bag is half full. Though seriously thinking of taking clothes I can throw away, so that I can get a couple of bottles in there).

Wont be joining you golfers, I’ve only played on links courses facing the north sea. Bracing, to say the least.

If you are fasting tomorrow, good luck, its Spring, so soon time to ditch the winter woolies.

Travel hopfully……..

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.