Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 5,077 total)

• Hi everybody,

I weighed myself last night before bed and I was 21st 1lb and then I thought I would try it again now and I am back to 20st 12lbs, so I’ve lost 3lbs in the last 18 hours. I’ve ordered some new scales today as the one I am using now has a wonky foot and won’t sit right on the floor.

I’ve developed a really bad pain in my hip that stops me sleeping on my right side and it seems to have travelled down to my knee. I think is due to my having to roll off the sofa onto the floor and then stand up from there, because the sofa is too low to stand up from. I have therefore ordered on of those high seat wing chairs which I think will make standing up easier. Just have to get rid of the sofa now.

Hi Graham

Have you thought about getting a new sofa? It is no good having wonky scales they may not weigh correctly. I just got my self a new set. I shall have to set them up for tomorrow these weigh water, fat and muscle and me of course. They were from Aldi a bargain at £12. The last pair I got were a really good brand but only lasted once weigh in……. I took them back.

My current scales can weigh 4lb difference all 3 different times about 30 seconds apart. I think I always put them in the same place. They are metal and have a bit of give in them, the new ones are glass.

I will report findings after a few weeks. I hope your new scales are good.

It will be interesting to see how you lose now.

Are you fasting today?

Ginette

Hi Ginette,

Yes, fasting again today. Been on decaff coffee since getting up and I’m looking forward to my tea at around 7pm. In the last two weeks I’ve not been eating anything on fast days and I wonder if that has caused me to unconsciously eat more on ‘feast days’, like extra calories from olive oil to cook with and the odd packet of crisps or a couple of mint humbugs I’ve maybe not wrote in my calorie count book and then forgotten about.

The scales are some I found on Amazon which had really good reviews for being totally accurate. They weigh in pounds to one decimal place and after it has told you what you weigh now, it also reminds you what you weighed last time you used them. I’m not that bothered about fat percentage, I can see it in the mirror and I don’t need a machine to tell me I’ve got too much of it, just need my weight.

The ‘old’ sofa is only a couple of years old and has sprung seats, so it was designed to be low and that is what I bought it for. It is lovely to lie on and go to sleep. I just can’t stand up from it. I just think the new orthopaedic chair will be better for me. Alternatively I could keep the sofa and get rid of the exercise bike (which I only use when my hips ache), but not enough room for both though. Perhaps I can sit on the chair when I want to read and use the sofa for watching TV or having a nap.

Hi Graham

I find an evening meal something to look forward to, I have spicy chicken and mixed vegetables to look forward to.

I never way up hungry on the day after fast days, I am drawn towards carbs though. I do have a sandwich early afternoon and a yoghurt afterwards. If I still need more I indulge myself but only as far as my TDEE lets me.

I hope you have a more positive week this week.

I eat around 8 tonight as I don’t go to bed until late.

It seems as you are getting good advice on other theads. As Jaye was an auxiliary nurse and knows many nurses and doctors I think she may have more correct insight that many of us with anecdotal knowledge.

You can only try and as Jaye said check with your doctor re medication. I am sure that you will get it right for you in the end.

Remember we are all different and sometimes respond better to different circumstances.

Ginette

Fast day for me today, probably only 2 this week with the upcoming travel. Nursing the back still….

Hi simcoeluv
    Thank you for the link.
    I did not realise you were a leading light on this forum, I had a similar problem on a boating site where I was debating points with people who were, it turned out, to be involved in the Olympics and America’s Cup.

“. . . but I thought Michael Mosley had shown it was not a straight forward energy in/ energy out equation anymore, that when you eat and exercise has an effect, which is why the 5:2 fast diet works.”

I read the Fast Diet book a couple of months ago and got that impression. I am probably having a senior moment.
    I lent it to a friend, when I get it back I will check it out.

Hi all

daily mail has a piece on fast dieting being anti-aging, which means I’llbe here a while, I hope to be 29 again and 8st 10!

I’ve moved the exercise bike into the bedroom, moved the sofa against the wall and now have room for an additional chair, which I am told will be arriving on Friday.

Just had chicken tikka masala on rice, as near to 600 calories as makes no difference, then completely forgot I was on a fast day and had a can of Guinness (150 calories). Never mind, will just have to have 150 calories less tomorrow.

You and me both Milena..
    Another fast day today. I think I may have had a couple of hundred calories extra, but no matter. Tomorrow will also be a fast day, so I will have done 3 back to back. I do not recommend it, nor do I want to do it again, but I am hoping it will keep the weight back at least for the start of the vacation.

FatGraham.. a good idea to get better scales. Nothing worse than scales that give inaccurate readings (oh wait.. sometimes those that give accurate readings are just as bad, but hardly ever their fault). I hope today went well for you. I am glad that you are eating something on fast days. I really don’t think it is a good idea to not eat at all.

simcoeluv. Thanks of the information. I read the thread you referred to. I am not sure that an experiment with such a small sample size is reliable, but I grant you that it is possible that “starvation mode” may not be the case; I know the thinking was that it was the reason people hit a plateau that the body thought it needs to conserve energy as less was going in (like a bear hibernating during winter). Science keeps changing its mind regarding things; the thinking on cholesterol has changed; the thinking on the food pyramid has changed and several others. It may or may not be true, a lot more testing has to be done before scientists are sure one way or another.

In any case, I think that fasting (or eating a very low number of calories) for a long time is bad for the spirit and I am sticking with that!

I can’t believe I am fasting again tomorrow (or at least trying to).
    Have a great evening everyone.

Just read an article on a site called, I think, aworkoutroutine, on starvation mode, interesting and funny!

He also did a piece on 10 reasons you’re not losing weight.

Following his advice, I’m going to count every morsel, every splash of milk and very grain of sugar!!!

Not a bad day, usual wholemeal open sarnie, with prawns and salmon. Scrape of mayo, forgot i had guacamole.

As April begins on Wednesday, have decided to do 4:3 this week, start the month with a fast day!!! Hope you’re ready Graham, and everyone else giving it a go. Start thinking of a mega treat for the end of the month!!

Got thru my fasting day, but boy am I in a bad mood. Not sure why…probably hormonal. Dang menopause! Watching the weather forecast doesn’t help as the week looks blah. I’m beginning to think it’ll never warm up.

Good luck with another fast day tomorrow salma!

Hope everyone has a good night!

Hi Lori.. Until I am actually asleep, I do not consider that I got through my fast day. At night I get hungry and my tummy grumbles. I have to brush my teeth early and make something hot (yucky herbal tea) just to trick myself into not eating.
    Cheer up.. all that hard work is bound to show up on the scales. Hormonal is not fun.. I should know. Hang in there.

Hi Graham. Sounds like you have hip bursitis which I now have. I got some really good stretchs & exercises to do for mine from my doctor.Mine is only painful when lying in bed.

Yet again Salma! I find all herbal teas yukky – I NEVER take liquid medicine – but I always feel herbal teas are just like medicine. I have tbe lot, green tea, friut tea, camomile.

Stick with it, you too Lori. Though a pair of boxibg gloves and a punchbag might come in handy.

Hi Graham

Glad you have sorted your room out. Also nice to hear you are not on any medication. I would like to stop some of mine when my blood pressure is lower. Will do so will full consultation with my doctor. Others I can’t stop, I have taken them for years and will need to continue. I was diagnosed with epilepsy at 6. It was much worse as a child and always ended in hospital admission. I am now completely under control. It doesn’t interfere with my life unless I get stressed. They only happen when I am falling asleep so that is good too. I do suffer from holding excess water as a result, but as I said I am one of the lucky ones.

I’m glad you had something to eat today. Hopefully tomorrow you will find you don’t feel hungry and overeat.

I am doing some exercise to tone up, start moving and generally get that heart going. It it helps me lose weight even better. I don’t go mad I only did 30 mins a day but I like the challenge of it and it makes me eat more healthily. Win win for me.

Milena

I saw that article in the Daily Mail. Interesting if you take vitamins it doesn’t have the same effect. I will be really interested to get my bloods taken at the doctors as I then have a starting point, even if this will be some time after I have started the diet.

Lori and Salma

You are probably asleep by now and when you wake up it will be an eating day how nice I can’t wait for my granary bread sandwich with vine tomatoes, watercress and ham. I try not to eat until after 2 therefore going into repair mode before eating.

What time difference is there between England and where you are Salma? Lori are you in England I am not sure why I am assuming that. It is a shame that where we come from isn’t visible. The country would do.

Ginette

Ginette, I am in the U.S…Pennsylvania to be exact. I do love England, however. 🙂

Hi Lori

That is why you are still awake then. Clocks changed here yesterday they went forward an hour. My body clock hasn’t realised it yet though.

What time is it where you are?

Hi Ginette, I was reading about ketone diets, I read a lot on these forums that I frankly don’t understand and ketones whizzed way over my head. Having done a fair bit of reading, I think I’m still missing the point of ketones as it seems to be high fat as well as low carb. Though coconut oil was mentioned, perhaps Janey can explain if she is on some version of this. Like you, I’m still eating bread, I’ve considered giving up, but I do find it filling. I’ve not made any attempts at cooking low cal since I started, which is odd as I love cooking. Just bought the fast diet book and a low cal cookbook off ebay, might change when they arrive, but at the moment fish and salad on wholemeal or granary bread fills the plate and fills me. April is the month for concentrating on getting the calories exact, and making a start on exercise.

Anyway, it seems the diet was begun as a treatment for epilepsy. Made interesting reading.

A real storm is brewing here, hope its not to bad. Rained all day yesterday so no walk, still have a chesty cough, daft to get wet. Hope it clears.

It is 8:20PM

showing 12.20 on the forum, though its 1.20 wonder why? Are we in BST, and clocks on forum on GMT?

Hi Milena

You are right about the time. They haven’t caught up yet a bit like my body clock.

I know that ketones are produced when on the Atkins diet. I haven’t done it but I know people who have. I only have granary bread 5 times a week, so days when I am not fasting. I consider this to be a relatively healthy bread. Much better than white which I don’t like. I think and I need to check this, that it is when our bodies don’t get carbohydrate in food (only protein and fat), it needs to use from our fat stores. Protein takes much longer to break down into energy. This is why the Atkins diet works. I am not sure about a lot so saturated fats though. I know research is proving certain theories wrong all of the time. Hence eggs OK now. It is difficult to keep up. I know the Atkins diet makes the body go into Ketosis mode. Look it up and hopefully you will understand more.

I read a couple of recipe books but I am happy with what I am eating now. Much healthier food than before I started. Very little fast food. The occasional fish and chips but with reduced chips. I have much more fruit and vegetables. I was having very little before. Having such a long journey ahead I have to enjoy myself. I have the odd meal out about once a month. I don’t drink, that is just habit from parents who hardly ever drank. I had a glass of wine last year…..yes just the one. If people enjoy it that is fine by me. I am usually driving.

At least I am only thinking how nice Granary bread would be and not a big bar of chocolate.

Enjoy your fast free day tomorrow. I am going to. I laughed at someone who said they thought of lining food up for the morning after fast day. It’s nice to know I don’t need to do that. They found they didn’t either.

I’m off to bed now to try to sleep. Not at all tired at the moment. Horrible wind outside, I imagine there might be some damage tomorrow.

Ginette

Hi Ginette, Im eating bread nearly every day, but I might need to rethink. Im working on a 12 stone TDEE so under 400 calories on fast days. Im going to have to think how to maximise this and bread may be out. I’m not finding the 1600 a struggle usually, except that I don’t eat anything like my ‘normal’. And that means longterm, my normal HAS to change. I haven’t even checked TDEE at 10 stone, and the TDEE at under 9st is scary. Just hope I’ve got ‘live to eat’ changed to ‘eat to live’ sorted so I can get down there.

Going to bed now, I was shattered at 9pm, but decided to cuddle my girl for a few hours. Not looking too good at the mo.

Hi Salma:

“I read the thread you referred to. I am not sure that an experiment with such a small sample size is reliable,”

The data from the experiment was quite reliable. But you don’t have to worry about the sample size. It was small, but has been confirmed by data from tens of thousands of fasters.

People that water fast for two weeks or longer lose, on average, about a pound a day. If there was such a thing as ‘starvation mode’, you would expect that people not eating any food at all would quickly shift into the ‘mode’ and their weight loss would be minimal – or even stop. However, the data show that the fastest way to lose weight is to not eat anything at all.

Just try to imagine what would happen if you, under your doctor’s supervision, of course, stopped eating for the next three weeks. Do you think your current rate of weight loss would slow, stay the same or increase? If there was a starvation mode, your rate of weight loss should decrease, or, at worst, remain the same.

But I think you, and anyone else that thinks about it for a minute, know the answer. You would lose weight much more quickly than you are now. And the study’s results show you would continue losing until you literally started dying from starvation (no body fat left for the body to eat, so it has to start eating muscle), at which point the ‘starvation mode’ would kick in (about a 40% reduction in the metabolic rate). However, you would still continue to lose weight as the body ate up its muscles until you died (usually from a heart attack resulting from a weakened heart muscle).

Short plateaus (a month or less) are caused by things other than a slowing metabolism – usually by water weight fluctuations and ‘food in transit’ fluctuations combined with the timing of weigh in. Plateaus longer than a month are usually caused by overeating. Of course, we are not talking about weight losses/gains that arise from taking drugs, insulin or other hormone level changes.

If you are interested in learning more about fasting, this article from Harper’s magazine is very informative: http://charleycropley.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/FASTING-ART-Harpers.pdf

Good luck on your continued weight loss journey!

Hi simcoeluv

re discussion of timing of eating and exercise

FAQ on this site
    Can I exercise on a fast day?
    There is good evidence that people who exercise in the fasted state burn more fat. In one study men who exercised before breakfast burnt more fat than those who exercised afterwards. Exercise can also be a useful distraction if you begin feeling peckish. Don’t, however, attempt to do a lot of endurance training on a fasting day and if you feel uncomfortable, stop.

Hi All

Article in the Mail about fasting. The Mail is available as an app. They often have things about 5:2 in there. You don’t have to pay anything to download news, it is completely free. Really useful.

Link below:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3018207/How-5-2-diet-makes-body-resilient-stress-Fasting-makes-cells-work-harder-study-reveals.html

Thanks for the link Ginette. I have to admit all the talk of free radicals and molecules went over my head, but I think they are basically saying that fasting is good for you.

Love this WOL, I just wish I had found it sooner.

I am in the UK. I am doing well on fast days. Feast days are difficult although my mantra is tomorrow is another day. How is everyone going to cope with Easter and all those lovely goodies that are everywhere?

Applepie

That is right although the interesting part I found was that if you take the vitamins they did you wouldn’t get the good benefits. I only use them to kick start weight loss but haven’t taken any for a couple of days now as I want the good benefits and I am eating quite well.

TopsyT

You can still have them just count them in when you can. Moderation is the key. I have an egg waiting for me (only a small button one) but I shall also make it last. I also shall have a couple of pieces of cake. I just don’t go too mad.

Have you worked out your TDEE? This will help you

Ginette

Hi TopsyT… welcome.

All that talk about dying of starvation (simcoeluv) is most unappealing for me, particularly on a fast day for a third day running. It may be that there is no”starvation mode”; I am not wedded to the “starvation mode” theory, I just thought it made sense. If science has proven otherwise, then that’s fine.

Food is so much more than just nutrition or number of calories. but I for one would rather live normally, fasting only a couple of days a week, and if it takes forever, so be it. I do not fancy melting down at 3.5 pounds a week. I put it on over months and months, I can take it off slowly.
    I still maintain that eating normally most of the time helps us stay on this WOL, at least for me. If I fancied half starving all the time, I would be on a different regimen.

So, I have today completed my third fast day in a row. I have NO intention of repeating the exercise, but I did it so I can travel tomorrow with a clear conscience. It wasn’t easy, but it wasn’t too difficult either because I was crazy busy at work these last few days. I have been going home quite late, which left just enough time for a bite (yes, yes, less than 500 cals… or more precisely, less than 1500 over the 3 days) and bed.

I can’t wait to have a proper breakfast tomorrow, although it has to be on the flight as I fly out at 8:30 a.m. Still, a nice cup of milky coffee in the morning seems like a prize from where I am sitting. Totally with you Milena about herbal teas. I have had enough herbal tea to last me a lifetime. I cannot stand the fruit variety. Green, camomile, cinnamon are about all I can stomach.

I guess the next time I write, it is likely to be from a different continent!

Have a great evening tonight and good luck to all who are fasting tomorrow.

Oh Salma…3 days fasting..you will be melting! Travel safely.

I’m with you on the taking if off slowly with this WOL. I’m “only” down 2 lbs in the month of March, but that’s 2 lbs less, isn’t it? I’ll be lucky to maintain in April with vacationing for 10 days of the month. Oh well…that’s life and it’s meant to be lived!

I think I will come in quite low calorie for an “eating” day today, although I’m not really counting. I’m just eating what I want in a sensible portion. It just so happens that what I want today is not very calorific. Score!

It is snowing like mad right now. I made a run to the market and the flakes were huge and it is accumulating quickly. I grabbed my boots when I was home with the groceries. By the way it looks out there, it’s a good thing I did!

Hope you’re all having a great day whether fasting or not!

Hi tofi:

This article contains an illustration of your comment: http://charleycropley.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/FASTING-ART-Harpers.pdf

Hi all

have a GREAT time Salma, enjoy yourself.

Have a heck of a morning, after third night in a row, staying up with Willow, my cat, took one look at her this morning, she was lying in my bed, OH brought her in a six, decided time to phone vet. Took her in, brought her home! He thought worth keeping her going, must say she is lookng better. A vet in a million.

Had two lots of tea and hit cross bun, half each time with a scrapping of butter, and a small costa this morning. Chicken stir fry, so should be well undrr TDEE. Ready for first fadt of April, ditching costa coffee, ditching wine. Just for tge month. Decided to buy jeans off ebay, as still wearing size twenty, I look like a bag lady in them. Buying 16, 14, and 12. No pressure then!

M & S have stopped selling this particular shape, so if I dont buy them now, wont be able to.

Postponing Easter until the end of the month, will the indulgence of Easter.

No exercise as its been snowing and blowing a gale from the artic, son is off to buy wii stuff for me tomorrow.

Have a great week, and hope St Christopher is watching over travellers!!

And travel hopefully!

Hi, I’m 57 and just starting, again, today. It is such a surprise to see that people are going through the same stuff as me. My husband and 2 sons are the lucky ones. They eat what they like and stay thin. Over the years I have struggled with my weight, tried lots of different diets and have ended up here at 86 kilos. I am hoping, with support, that this time will be different. I have tried the fast diet before, with great success, but when people told me how good I was looking I thought I could start eating whatever I liked. Sigh! I delude myself so often. So now I’m older and wiser, im hoping this time will be different. My niece is getting married in 2017, so I have given myself plenty of time to lose all my excess weight before the big family get together.

Welcome Aurora! We will get there…slow & steady! I’m just a couple years younger and have at least 25 lbs to lose. 30 would be better, but I must not be greedy! LOL!

I have no doubt that you will get to your goal by the 2017 wedding. Take it one day at a time.

In the UK there is an Internet catalogue called Fifty Plus which concentrates mostly on women’s clothing up to and including size 36 plus lingerie from 36 to 56, cup sizes A – K (don’t ask me, I’m a man).

There is a men’s version from the same company called Premier Man which I have been using for years, sizes up to 66″ chest & 64″ waist.

Both charge interest, but you can order and pay at the same time. Prices seem to be a lot lower that other catalogues.

thank you for your good wishes Lori and Milena.
    I am not looking forward to the real cold. In winter here, the lowest it gets is something like 5 degreesC except in the mountains. We can get 17 or even 20 deg C weather in December. A few rainy days int eh year in Jan/Feb and that’s it!

I am lucky like Applepie, I live in a place with wonderful weather. The summer can get hot and sticky, but the sun shines most of the year.

I am so looking forward to being away, and am all packed and ready. I have to get up at 5 am to get to the airport on time, but it is a small price to pay, eh. I will weigh myself tomorrow morning (after my 3 day fast). If only I were melting Lori, I am still very solidly here 🙂

Auroras, welcome to our “club”. We are all about the same age. I am turning 55 this year and have had no end of problems with weight. My sister can eat all she wants and is slim. Life is unfair!

I shall check in.. I have become addicted to this forum and it does help me stay on the straight and narrow. It is as if I have to bare my soul to you guys and telling everyone that I have pigged out and gained 3 or 5 kilos feels like letting the side down 🙂

Take care and have a great evening.

Hi Salma

I agree slowly and surely. Losing weight too quickly doesn’t allow our skin to catch up. Also we don’t want to get that gaunt look.

I don’t like the heat but I also don’t like severe cold weather either.

Three fast days together that is some going. I hope it pays dividends!

Lori

It will soon pick up again. I had five weeks where I only lost 4 lb in total and now it has picked up.

Salma

Have a nice holiday. We are only at the end of the Internet ha ha…..

Graham

You are full of surprises. I think that is quite a good site.

Welcome Auroras end

We are a friendly bunch here. You will be able to have a fantastic loss by 2017. We will be with you step by step. You might face a few blips as we all do.

Ginette

hi Salma, Im here to help you to disappear, or at least become a shadow of your former self.

Cos I need you to become a show of MY former self!!

Awesome thought eh???

And just to show I mean business Ive just won on Ebay the M&S Marilyn jeans in a size 14. Bear in mind I’m still wearing the VERY loose (as in they would fall to the gound without a belt) size 20!!! And y’all know what what a commitment that is, bearing in mind I’m married to a Scot, a nation not known for either splashing out money, nor for waste. That is some £12.50 of TOTAL commitment. You are all on this journey with me, and I’m EXPECTING everyone to be have falling down size to at least 14/16 by next January!!!! You too Graham!! Size 36 at an absolute minium for you lad!!!!

If we reach for the stars we might just catch the moon!!!!

After a week or so in the layby, I’ve got a full tank and I’m here to push, drag, egg on and bully all of you!!!

Be kind to yourselves

36″ Milena? Hips 48″ & waist 52″ at the moment, so I’ve got a bit of fasting to do to get rid of 125lbs! Still, January is 9 months away so I’ll give it a go.

Stars and the moon, Graham!

Point is its something to aim for, if you get to 46″ wouldn’t it be wonderful. I’ve a feeling a lot of us are here for a long, long while. But wouldn’t it be fun to make some serious headway?

Ready for tomorrow?

Hope so, I’m going to push you, and cajole you, and I expect the same!! Bugger, it’s only 30 days, we can do something amazing in 30 days, though we might just have to drag each other, and a few others, over the finish line on the 30th!

Of course, the first week in May will be a week of absolute kindness!

First target, a centimetre off the waist.

By the weigh, I measure in kilos, Simply because the lb on my scales are pish to read, but of course I have no concept of what a kilo is, so I translate to pounds. To calculate, take off 140, 10 stone. Do it again, 280 lbs, take off your total, what’s left is the pounds. 290.6 is 20 stone 10.6 pounds. When you get under 20 stone in April, take off 140 for ten stones, then 14 pounds as many times as you can until you are left with less than 14.

Simples.

Have you a target for 30 April. I have 2. 80 kilos would be good, and I think achievable. 78 would be a stretch. Having 2, one of them realistic at 1 lb a week or so, gives me a something to aim for.

Telling everyone makes it a push, but something to try for.

Remember if you do 50% of you target, you are losing!!_ And winning!!

Travel hopefully.

Actually Milena I started yesterday with my first fast day, 0.4 of a pound lost = 6 1/2 oz (which sounds a bit pathetic really, it’s most likely just water and I’ve probably put it back on today). 11lbs total for April, doable?

If I can get to 20st 0lbs I will be a very happy bunny and it will give me the incentive to keep going. I’ve already bought some size 46″ waist trousers, so I’ve got something to aim for.

My scales are new and weigh in stones and pounds, tell me what I weigh now and what I weighed last time I used it, so I’ll be weighing myself before breakfast on the day after my fast days and I’ll post it straight after.

Also, I’m going to combine the 5:2 with the ‘2 day diet’, which is 2 fast days back to back with a protein only 1000 calories per fast day, then keep under the TDEE for the other 5 days. Dr M mentioned it in one of his threads so it must be okay. The book arrives tomorrow and my first 2 day fast will be Thursday/Friday.

As they say on Pirates of the Caribbean, we are “of an accord”! My books should be here in the next day or so. 11lb? Awesome, but stars and moon! I think you could do it!

See you in the morning – check in at 9 for final pep talk. Find something inspirational!

Milena

Are we starting the challenge this week as it is April?

Graham

Good luck doing the mixture of diets. Don’t let it confuse you in a rush to lose weight. We all took a long time to put it on and we shouldn’t set ourselves unrealistic target. Me I am happy with 5 lb a month. Thrilled if it is 6 lb and ecstatic if it is 7. I am also satisfied if it is 4.

This way I hope to be I between satisfied and ecstatic every month…….so easy to please.

I think we all need to commend Milena for her enthusiasm. Whatever the result we are not competing only with ourselves. It will be a good month if we are all happy with our losses. Set a realistic target anything else is a bonus.

Good luck all.

Ginette

Thank you all for your words of support and encouragement. I had a really good day today. Normal eating day tomorrow. Just hope I don’t have da major blowout. Thanks again

Ditching wine??!!! Sorry milena that is too much of an ask. You have no idea how much I am looking forward to my Pata Negra tonight after my B2B fasts. We are celebrating the anniversary of finding this house 3 years ago, so it’s steak and chips for tea.

All this talk of snow makes me realise just how fortunate we are to live here. I just couldn’t bear it again.

Loved the article in the link from simocoeluv. Very, very interesting. I find with the one day total fasts that I do, it is the mealtimes I miss, not the food. Mind you, I think if I were diagnosed with some awful disease I would try to help myself be fasting longer. It seems to work.

Welcome Auroras, I am 59, so a little older than you. We can do this! My OH is driving me bonkers. He has been a little too successful on the 5:2. He wanted to join me for health reasons, but ended up losing too much weight. He is now constantly asking me what he can eat to gain weight, not helpful when I am trying to lose it.

Happy fasting everyone!

That’s ok Applepie – as long as the wine is decent, carry on!

For me, it HAS to be a nono, for this month anyway. Its a temptation too far.

Ready to start, 82kg, which is 1/2 a kilo up on my best, but last month was an up and down month in the end, no damage and a drop of 2 kilos in the month, to put a good spin and a disappointing few weeks! And I suppose still doing better that my the target I diaried for the whole year when I started, which is showing 84.5kg!

And today is my second fast day of the week – so onwards and upwards – or downwards.

Ginette, starts today and the only competition is to see how many of us old bangers can make some progress – and getting out of the layby counts as progress in my book. For me, this month is about focus – I’m keeping a food diary to write down everything and the target is to stay within TDEE every day – but each to their own focus. 79 kg is my weight target – but,as I’ve already said, reaching for the stars ……

Aurora – goddess of the dawn – good handle for a new chapter in your life, what are you hoping to lose before the wedding?

The little bisum I took to the vet to be pts yesterday actually JUMPED onto the bed at 6am this morning – and proceeded to shout in my ear for 10 minutes until I let her under the blankets! Thinking of giving her away now! She doesn’t start on the steroids until today – she’ll probably be running up the curtains tonight!

Have a wonderful month, and remember there will be ups and downs, literally, especially with my cheap scales, but we have to concentrate on the downs – even a tsunami retreats a little before every move forward!!!!

Sorry Milena, was watching ‘It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World’ on DVD last night and didn’t go to bed until about 3am, so therefore missed the 9am pep talk.

Checking calories this morning. Usual breakfast of 1 tin grapefruit, 2 Weetabix, 2 Shredded Wheat, 50g Rice Krispies and 450ml soya milk = 850 calories. New breakfast as from today is 1 tin of grapefruit, 100g porridge oats, 300ml soya milk and a generous squeeze of honey = 435 calories. So saving already.

There is a farm in Ripon, North Yorkshire, where I buy all my grass fed meat from. I’ve put an order in today for steaks and bacon so I will have enough for the protein only fast days from Thursday. There are a couple of houses in the village that have their own hens and they have a box at the gate with eggs in and a box for the money, so it’s quite easy to pop along there every few of days to get 12 eggs for my breakfasts. No more black pudding though, boo.

Off for a walk soon before the rain comes again, forecast says I have about two hours so I’d better take my poncho just in case.

Graham.

There’s our cheerleader, up and at ’em early this morning! Go Milena!

I will give April a good go, but I’m on vacation for 10 days and I have no idea how I will do. I don’t have plans to go hog wild, but I’m going on a cruise for part of that time and the food on a cruise ship……OY! :-O

My cat actually let me sleep in today! It was wonderful! I actually got up on my own and didn’t even see her until I was downstairs. Perfect timing as today was a day off from boot camp and I sure enjoyed the lie in!

Today is another eating day, but I have no intention of over eating. I have dinner all planned & probably a Greek yogurt for lunch.

Have a great day everyone!

Now where is that short skirt and my pom poms? Scary thought!

Just measured out 100 ml of semi-skimmed and 3 tea spoons of sugar. That’s a hundred calories, I’m checking to see if I go over or under this in my tea?

Enjoy your cruise, Lori – hope that there is lots to do on the ship, quite fancy the waterboard myself – only seen it on TV, do they have pools and things on all ships? And enjoy the food!!!

Hope you have a great walk Graham, windy but sunny here, walking myself this afternoon – pleased weather has improved as I didn’t fancy walking in snow and sleet. I’m off to the farmer’s market at the weekend, and I’ve a voucher for £6 off £40 at waitrose, so if I can’t get fish elsewhere, will buy from waitrose. To think Scotland has 6,000 miles of coastline, but its hard to find decent fish supplies.

travel hopefully

I have a bit over 2 weeks until cruise time, so I can get rid of a few more lbs before then hopefully. I will sure give it my best shot!

I’m so glad to be feeling better this morning. Yesterday I was just sure I was catching the bug that the husband had last week. Right now it feels as though my immune system has successfully fought it off…fingers crossed!

Have good days!

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.