May 2019 Challenge

This topic contains 718 replies, has 55 voices, and was last updated by  jaifaim 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 719 total)

• Day 8 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

It’s an important day in South Africa today; our general election. The sixth democratic election since Mandela went ‘from prisoner to president’ 25 years ago.

@flourbaby I’ll definitely give the magnesium oil a try. Not sure about the cashews though; I find those really addictive, and a handful could easily turn into a sackful!

@georgia83 I can empathize with the chocolate! The crisps I’m not a big fan of. But my other big weakness is cheese. I absolutely love it. So I have to buy it in small amounts, because it never hangs around the fridge for too long. I sometimes think I could have been a mouse in a previous life!

Yet another FD for me; they come round so quickly?! Hopefully my last for this week, if it goes well. And we’re almost a quarter of the way through this challenge already!

“If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you.”

Day 8 -Ireland – FD

Well I blew my FD late last night… was just so tired and achey and went shopping at the wrong time…. so reset today!

@flourbaby I remembered magnesium oil, cashews and a yogi tea which is good for sleep 👍👍 woke once big drifted back after a little while.. feel a little more refreshed this morning… thanks!
    @michelinme I’m sorry to hear you are still ill… i won’t know my blood results until next week when i meet with the consultant but hoping all will be good👌thank you 💕and @ ciren2 I hope your sciatica is getting better..
    @annemarilyn – well done to your son! We need more pedestrian/cycling infrastructure in all out countries I would say! Even the Netherlands where they are streets ahead of us! We are so focussed on reducing single use plastic but « single use » cars (Ie one person per car) are my bugbear… get more people out in the open air, less pollution, less traffic, win win 👍👍
    @heiren – so good to hear you are feeling better! Mind your ankle…i went over on mine for years so the ligament is now very stretched so need to do exercises to keep them strong… of course I forget to do this but will start again now 😄
    @gretta – I hear you! Found some « healthy » peanut butter nice bars in one of our shops that I had to try.. blew my FD reset today!
    @matpi breathe deep when you can… this will pass 👍
    Well done @rafiki44 that’s some achievement!

Pocket list for day 8
    @gretta
    @daffodil2010
    @jaifaim

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 8 -Ireland – FD

Well I blew my FD late last night… was just so tired and achey and went shopping at the wrong time…. so reset today!

@flourbaby I remembered magnesium oil, cashews and a yogi tea which is good for sleep 👍👍 woke once big drifted back after a little while.. feel a little more refreshed this morning… thanks!
    @michelinme I’m sorry to hear you are still ill… i won’t know my blood results until next week when i meet with the consultant but hoping all will be good👌thank you 💕and @ ciren2 I hope your sciatica is getting better..
    @annemarilyn – well done to your son! We need more pedestrian/cycling infrastructure in all out countries I would say! Even the Netherlands where they are streets ahead of us! We are so focussed on reducing single use plastic but « single use » cars (Ie one person per car) are my bugbear… get more people out in the open air, less pollution, less traffic, win win 👍👍
    @heiren – so good to hear you are feeling better! Mind your ankle…i went over on mine for years so the ligament is now very stretched so need to do exercises to keep them strong… of course I forget to do this but will start again now 😄
    @gretta – I hear you! Found some « healthy » peanut butter nice bars in one of our shops that I had to try.. blew my FD reset today!
    @matpi breathe deep when you can …. this will pass 👍
    Well done @rafiki44 that’s some achievement!

Pocket list for day 8
    @gretta
    @daffodil2010
    @jaifaim
    @funshipfreddie

Onward and downward ⬇️

Ps great news on the job front @daffodil2010 and I hope it’s a good day for your beautiful country @funshipfreddie

Day 8, UK, NFD

67.4kg (same as last weigh in)

NFD today, breakfast tasted better than ever😊

Another busy day at work, will catch up with your posts later xx

Day 8 Herefordshire U.K. NFD
    Day 7 NFD
    Fell foul of the salty snacks on Monday and yesterday chip shop chips were eaten all in a moment of weakness when tired.
    My fitness level is not good, on Monday we went for a hill walk up onto the Black Mountains and afterwards I was a bit weary and this rolled into yesterday. However OH who runs with a local group that regularly go off piste into the hilly countryside was fine! Need to up my game.

Going to make @michelinme oaty bread today.

@snowflake56 – hope all goes well today with the MRI and hope it helps in getting to the bottom of what’s causing your problems. Good luck x

Re – Hay on Wye, we are three miles form Hay and really looking forward to the Literature Festival as well as the separate music and philosophy festival How the Light Gets In, all sounds great fun. Locals say the place gets swamped and they all move out renting their houses to the descending masses!

Would love to reply to more but time is running on and loads to do. Have a good day all and hope those not feeling so great start to feel better soon.
    Ta x

Day 8 Wales FD

Pocket list for day 8
    @gretta
    @daffodil2010
    @jaifaim
    @funshipfreddie
    @russetfox

Day 8: Gloucestershire, UK: NFD.
    Went for acupuncture yesterday. He reckons my “sciatica” is inflamation in the tendons, where the upper hamstrings join the “glutes” (buttock) muscle at the “seat bone” area…hence the pain on sitting…but also the pain in the upper hamstrings when I bend. I’m having a sports massage tomorrow, so the recommendation is to try and loosen the hamstrings to stop that tightness and friction at that point.
    I really appreciate all your sympathetic and helpful comments about this…Thank You all xx

Day 8, London, UK, NFD?

I’m still not sure whether the Thai lunch is going ahead or not, so I’ll sip peppermint tea until I know what’s happening, I’ve a small tomato, cucumber, beetroot & cheddar salad on hand just in case!!!

The weather today is appalling, it hasn’t stopped raining. I think the April showers were caught snoozing & are trespassing into Summer!!!

I forget sometimes that some newbies won’t know about little things we’ve mentioned in earlier challenges …………………….. @songbirdme and her unwavering dedication to music & blood donation, @daffodil2010 who had my dream job way back when, involving sampling Baileys (say no more!!), @ciren2 and her determination to get back on the wagon & my gushing love for magnesium oil. I make my own and spritz magnesium oil on the soles of my feet (apparently bigger pores so better absorption) before bed and I wake up in the exact position I fell asleep in, refreshed & wide awake. It cured my mums painful oedema in a couple of weeks, my brothers’ nail fungus and sleep issues & my other brother used it to help my niece with bedwetting (anxiety induced I think!) I can’t recommend it highly enough ………………. I’m a bit evangelical about two things …………….. 5:2 & Magnesium oil!!!!

Anyway, I’m off to do some work & drop some hints about the Thai lunch!!!!

Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory’ Dr Seuss

Day 8
    Florida
    NFD
    May is not getting off to a great start weight wise. Gain 2 lbs in the last week. UGH!! Moving on, trying not to let it get to me as we will be heading back to AR for two graduations which means lunches, and Mother’s day, another lunch. Oh well. Focus on the Graduates. 🙂 Proud of them. One from college and was accepted to New Orleans University and will be getting a masters in Jazz music. The other from high school, computer geek but not sure what directions he is heading.
    Have a great week.

Day 8 Melb Aust FD800 (11:20 p.m. here)

Okay, good FD800 today, which is a relief after the FDs becoming CDs that was happening before and after the weekend.

@ciren2 & @snowflake56, hope your health woes are sorted out, and @michelinme, that you soon start to feel better.

Time for bed, so no more this time. Keep on the downward trail everyone!

Day 8. California. FD

Adding myself to the list for today

Pocket list for day 8
    @gretta
    @daffodil2010
    @jaifaim
    @funshipfreddie
    @russetfox
    @rafiki44

Day 8 NFD

Me too @kaywesterman . Was geared up for having a good month in May and it’s gone to pot ! BUT I’m not giving up I’m resetting and setting small goals as I think slow and steady is the way for me, if I set a too challenging goal and fail it derails me completely so I’m concentrating on eating healthy and see how it goes from there

Day 8, NFD

Made a homemade keto waffle this morning and was delighted that I could only eat 1/2 of it. I mean it is made with a 1/4 cup of almond meal (which is just crushed nuts) I liked it and it sure did satisfy me all the way till lunch.

@daffodil2010 – I am notorious for waking at 4am. Must make this magnesium oil that is being chatted about on here!

@funshipfreddie – I’m the same way with cashews, I was excited to read about them for sleep, but then I was like how do I ONLY eat a handful?

@dingping – when I first read chip shop chips I was thinking chocolate covered chips or crisp with chocolate chips. I realize now chip shop chips are what Americans call steak fries. I’m a sucker for salty snacks too, I have now avoided buying them. Which is still an amazing challenge!

@ciren2 – that kind of pain is always a “pain in da butt” its challenging to find what is helpful, so I’m glad you are finding hopefully some relief.

@flourbaby – mmmm where is the Thai Lunch! Making empty promises those scaly wags!

@michelinme – oh my gosh you poor thing you have had one heck of a time with that virus. Do you guys have anything like emergency-C? Its like a vitamin boosting drink here in the states that is helpful for giving the body a boost to help it recover from feeling drained/cold/flu. I eat weird food combos too when I don’t feel good.

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today.” H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

@flourbaby: I was interested to read that article on Magnesium oil. I used to suffer excruciating cramps, especially at the back of my thighs, several times a night. So agonising I couldn’t move or even hardly breathe for about ten minutes each time. Someone recommended magnesium, and practically immediately, I had almost total relief. So, I take a daily tablet of Magnesium Lactate (said to be better absorbed by the body). I still do get occasional cramps but SO much better than every night. Feeling thirsty plays a part as well, I think. So I always have a glass of water by the bed.
    @rabbette: Now WHY did I not think of something so obvious!? Put DH’s socks on while he sits on the bed with his feet up and I sit, rather than crouch on the floor. DER! So simple. Thanks for the tip.
    I fear my weight is creeping up….I’ve had too much time off work lately and too much stress on my plate….
    @funshipfreddie: I also have a weakness for cheese, AND chocolate! At least it’s the dark kind (85% is good) MMmm…

Day 8, Emden Germany, NFD

MRI went well, it took forever because they decided to do one of the head and the neck to see if the weak hand is caused by trapped nerves. When finished the radiologist explained the scans to us, he couldn’t find any abnormities (as described after another MRI) that cause the weakness of the hand and the speech problems. Very pleased with the outcome although the problems are still the same. But I think the new diet could help.

@ciren2 that sounds so painful, I hope the acupuncture and the massage will help to ease the pain. xxx

@jaifaim I hope the tests went well. The infrastructure for cyclists in the Netherlands is great, but a lot of cyclists behave like maniacs, I think @catch87 knows what I’m talking about.

@catch87 welcome back!

@shelliz welcome back from your holiday in Italy!

@rabbette and @basyjames I’ll be fine again, I know I will!

@betsylee I’m not realy scared in the MRI tube, but I knew it would take longer this time, I counted the time away, it was finished at 1463.

@michelinme I hope you better, you’re struggling with one virus after another. The weather doesn’t help much, cold and rainy. Hugs x

@hieiren take care of that ankle and let it rest as much as possible. I hope your daughter is fine, not easy to have her away and know her so well. (Does this sentence make any sense, I hope you know what I mean)

@daffodil2010 how good you can stay a bit longer in your job now and how lovely you got another offer. Perhaps one day you’ll be back in the world of flowers.

@funshipfreddie hope the elections went well.

@dingping gosh, so many bookshops on your doorstep, I would be going there every day. No wonder you always have so many visitors, you could open a B&B. Enjoy it!

@gretta and @betsylee we’re watching Masterchef Australia 2017 atm, it seems to be in Melbourne. Everyone is so nice and supportive. It’s totally different from the US version.

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 8 – Eastern WA USA – NFD

Getting to eat today! The plan is to eat until satisfied and stop plus close the kitchen by 6 to start the next fast.

@rabbette – what else did you have with your keto waffle? You’re right, keto meals are quite filling and stay with a person longer than carbie ones.

@snowflake56 – you’re right about there being a difference between American cooking shows and those in other countries. For example, in the British baking show, folks are so much nicer to each other; less nasty. I haven’t seen the Australian one yet. There are certain hosts that rev up the nasty too such as, a couple in America that do have a British accent but don’t act civil in my opinion. I won’t watch those.

Days are nice and sunny for the past almost week now; almost like summer really. Wishing everyone well, no matter the weather!

Day 8, NFD
    2nd post

@ciren2 – lol sometimes the most obvious answer is just too easy and we can’t see it. I’m glad that I mentioned it tho and hopefully that bed trick will help.

@snowflake56 – its good and bad news about the MRI. I mean good news they didn’t see anything, but bad because what the heck is causing it? If you are feeling up for a small challenge you might do some “brain games” or “brain break” with the hands and see how they do with just coordination. You could just see what kind of results you get. Try this one http://brainbreaks.blogspot.com/2009/03/thumb-and-pinkie.html

Day 8 UK FD

Decided to go for another FD today as yesterday’s was more like 800 calorie controlled day. Fasted till 7 pm and had some spicy vegetables followed by berries and grapes. So, will weigh tomorrow and see just how successful this past week has been.

Good luck to all fasters today.

Da 8 USA FD?

Ditto @mia139. Tosday turned into a F800 for me as well. Gonna stick to 600 tomorrow.

Day 8 UK NFD

Thank you lovely people for kind get well wishes. Yes, it’s been a pretty long haul with viruses – my usual level of energy not yet restored since last summer’s pneumonia!

Today I spoke to a friend who’s had the identical virus – complete with all the neuro symptoms – and indeed may have been the person I caught it from! So helpful to understand that it really IS all a virus, and not to do with my autoimmune or neuro issues 🙂 Apparently after this stage he had 3 MORE weeks of chest and feeling wiped out 🙁 i’m going to pace myself and take much better care…. sleep, rest, gentle things, good easy food and less overwhelm from project backlogs…

Not fasting yet – going to wait until i feel a lot better than now. But trying to keep mindful, and thus far have kept up with posts 🙂 Staying connected with you all is so helpful

@snowflake56 so glad your MRI was clear – must be quite a relief! Fingers crossed that the change in diet is helpful xx
    @jaifaim fingers crossed for consultant appt next week too x
    @ciren2 hope your tendon settles down xx

i second MO… @flourbaby thanks for explainging why soles of feet are more effective – I’d forgotten to put it there! Fingers crossed for great sleep tonight…

Keep on keeping on – stronger together x

Day 9, Japan, FD

Super crazy food day yesterday, but 21k steps walked, quite surprised to find out -0.2kg this morning.
    On Tuesday my FD sort of failed… really need to get back onto the track 🙁

Pocket list day 9

@shelliz

Day 8 Ohio, US — NFD (66 bites)

Whew! Today was only a Big-Stress day and fortunately not a Mega-Stress Day. All this stress builds up until this coming Sunday, and then whammo! no stress at all starting Monday. (Well. . . maybe). It’s very much like a pressure-cooker building up a lot of pressure and then taking the lid off. So it’s not unusual for me to spend a week or two in bed afterwards.

@michelinme Hope you keep shaking that virus off and that you get to feeling better fast!

Just ran out of energy — so hope everyone has a very fine upcoming day!

Day 9 – Melbourne Aus – NFD

Got through the FD at 590cal, and plenty of exercise, so happy with the effort. DAFD and I’ve been incredibly hungry, but managed to make some good choices so far. Had a much better sleep last night, so that’s no doubt helping with the willpower!

@daffodil2010 congrats on the work contract extension! All very positive.
    @jaifaim @dingping I know that feeling – tiredness is always my downfall!
    @ciren2 so glad to hear there’s a way forward with the sciatica. Try not to stress too much about the scales at the moment, once the tough times ease you can refocus on that
    @flourbaby @rabbette and all, I’m a huge convert for magnesium oil as well!! I need to be more diligent about using it (usually rub it on my sore muscles – usually legs and arms) before bed, and sleep like a baby. Sometimes I’ve been too tired, and then have a terrible sleep. Figures…
    @snowflake56 yes it is filmed in Melbourne! I’ve never watched the US version, but the one here seems pretty supportive for the most part. I also like your idea about counting in the MRI! Last time I just decided to meditate (and think I actually drifted off to sleep…). Glad to hear the results are all normal 😊
    @mia139 nice work on the FD’s this week! Good luck with the weigh in.
    @matpi glad to hear there’s light at the end of this pressure cooker tunnel. It always takes me a while for the stress levels to return after stressful times. Take care.

Hope all the Thursday fasters are going well 😊

Day 9, UK, FD

Was going for an FD tomorrow but doing it today to get it out of the way. Going to visit family abroad this weekend and I’m completely unprepared as the temperatures will hit 30 degrees there! Is it weird that I’m not mentally prepared to wear short sleeves?

Read all your posts, will try to reply later as getting ready for work now.

Must research about magnesium oil and keto waffles at some point 😊

Good luck to everyone else fasting today! Xx

Day 9 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

I had a relatively painfree FD yesterday; much easier than Monday’s anyway. No change on the scales today though. But I’ve lost a total of 1.5 kgs after 4 FDs & so I’m halfway to my May goal already! So I’ve think I’ve earned a couple of NFDs now.

Our election passed relatively peacefully yesterday; but it’s disappointing to learn that 9.8 million potential voters didn’t even bother to register!

I was just reading about new figures published by the NHS in the UK. Almost 1 in 3 adults are now not just overweight, but obese! And 20% of children are leaving primary school obese. Tragic. I don’t know what the answers are, and I don’t believe children should be fasting; but maybe the NHS should be giving out copies of Dr Mosley’s books.

Day 9 -Ireland – FD maybe

Didn’t have the best FD yesterday and haven’t been counting calories but suspect it was more of a CD… I will try again today to apply myself … it seems like I’m not the only one having a bad start to the month but it’s early yet and we can turn this around… who’s with me? @kaywesternman, @ BrightonBelle, @shelliz @dingping… small steps.. 💪

Well done to those of you who got through yesterday’s fast successfully – you know who you are 👌
    @snowflake I’m glad to hear the mri went well for you and it’s lovely to see your updates… let’s hope the new diet work for you!
    @ciren2, @heiren, @ michelinme, @matpi and all those who may be in the shadows and not feeling too well or feeling stressed right now I hope that you are caring for yourself and that you will be back to full strength soon…

@debster251 – where are you I wonder?
    @flourbaby – so … did you have your Thai lunch? 😋 I hope so!
    @rabbette your Keto waffle would delicious – can you post the recipe? Anything nutty for me is a hit!
    @at hope all’s well and that you are out enjoying the lovely Cumbrian countryside – gorgeous at this time of year..
    @georgia83
    @jaifaim (again! I will get there)

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 9 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Like a few of us I am blowing my FD’s in May. I was so so hungry all day yesterday, ravenous, even though I had loads of herbal teas, coffee, 3 litres of water…..I could have ate my arm off when I got home from work 😨 I know it’s not hunger, must be my blood sugars going funny for some reason, maybe having breakfast on an FD so early…..dunno.

But I managed to keep my food high protein, so although over FD limits, I did not shove my gob into the nearest tasty treats. The Tayto crisps were calling but ignored.

So although an NFD today (with a work lunch, then date night dinner with DH), I am eating nothing, nothing I tells ya, until that lunch!!

Thanks everyone for the good wishes re the work situation. I feel confident that the way will be shown over the next few months, and yes @snowflake56, it would be lovely to get back into the world of flowers again. “Wealth Management ” does not make my heart sing like horticulture ☘

@matpi good to hear the stress will soon end. What is it you do again? I know you have probably said before, sorry I can’t remember ☹️

@snowflaje56, @ciren2, @michelinme and all those recovering, wishing you all a huge get well.

Last day of work, then 3 days off. Yay. It will be busy but looking forward to it. And hey, I see sunlight! After yesterday’s relentless rain, that has to be a good sign. ☺️

Pocket list day 9

@georgia83

Day 9, London, UK, FD (3rd of B2B2B)

Well yesterdays’ Thai lunch was non-existent!!! I’m not too disappointed since I eradicated another 1lb of fat overnight. Today WILL be another successful FD to complete this weeks’ fasting, I can’t remember when I last completed a B2B2B week 100%, no sneaky sweets or going over by 1-200cals and still calling it a FD …………………. I was only fooling myself. This morning I bounced out of bed, full of energy and kicking myself for forgetting just how good I feel after a couple of ‘proper’ FDs!!!

@snowflake56, it’s good to hear the MRI was clear, and fantastic you got your results then and there, I had to wait 3 weeks for mine!!! I like the idea of counting, I tried to meditate like @gretta, but when they put me back in for the 2nd time, I couldn’t relax and started spiraling towards panic, imagining that they’d all disappeared (lunch, forgot me, as a joke & even Apocalypse!!) and I was trapped in the tube!!! The mind is a powerful, but often stupid thing!!!!

Today will be a soup day, it’s cool enough and the freezer is full so my FDs should be simple enough to manage. I hope everyone is firmly hanging on to the wagon, whether jogging alongside, hanging on by the fingernails or sitting proudly in the front seat …………………………… Today we slay some fasting dragons …………………………………. more water, more herbal tea, swerve the carbs, less sugar and be kind to ourselves, we deserve it!!!!

“Don’t let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.” – John R. Woode

Day 9 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 FD

Pocket list day 9
    @georgia83
    @flourbaby
    @missybear

Together we are stronger 🤗

Day 9: Gloucestershire, UK; NFD….as usual!
    @michelinme: So sorry to hear you are still struggling with what sounds like a very nasty illness. Well, from what your friend says….you have a few more weeeks of it…Nnoooo! Rest up, eat healthily, try to sleep well. get well soon xx
    @snowflake56: You survived the MRI….and they found nothing wrong. So good news on that at least. Still, I hope they sort you out soon xx
    @flourbaby: Well done to you.

Day 9 Herefordshire U.K. FD

@rabbette – chips/fries bought from the chip shop are yummy when OH phoned to say should he swing by the best chippy in the area on his way back from a run I weakened in a moment!

@jaifaim – yes small steps, in my case even smaller teeny tiny ones! Good luck today.

@matpi – I got resentful working like you and needing to sleep for days to catch up, thankfully I could walk away in the end. I hope you get thanked in monetary and genuine appreciation from your bosses for your dedication and commitment to your work. Good luck finding the end of that tunnel.

@snowflake56 – good to know the MRI found no concerns. How’s the diet change going? Glad you’re still here and sounding more positive. X
    You must be a mind reader as we are thinking of renting out our small annexe next to the house during the summer season so not such a silly suggestion!

@michelinme – I knew your oat bread recipe could be my undoing but have managed to get most of it in the freezer despite it being more-ish!

I have cravings for fish finger sandwiches… I hope I get through the day!

Good luck everybody and have a good day.
    Ta x

Pocket list day 9
    @georgia83
    @flourbaby (3rd of B2B2B)
    @dingping

Day 9 UK NFD
    👟👟 I’m with you @jaifaim

2nd post

Sorry @missybear I knocked you off the list, making amends now!

Pocket list day 9
    @georgia83
    @missybear
    @dingping

Day 9 – UK – FD
    Day 6-8 – NFD

I’m not sure why my fasting mindset has gone AWOL so far this month but I have not managed to complete any FDs as yet and have definitely enjoyed several Feast Days……..

I MUST press my RESET button today before things get out of control completely – I have not dared to step on the scales but pretty sure that I have gained a couple of kg at least – planning on a Liquid Fast Day today and so far only water and tea with a bit of semi skimmed milk consumed.

I am logging in to keep myself accountable and to catch up with what has been happening with everyone.
    @snowflake56 – as others have said, I’m so happy to see that you have decided to stay with us on the forum 🤗 Good to hear that the MRI outcome was good an that you and OH have cracked what the problem might be🤞the new diet helps
    @ciren2 – so sorry to hear that you have been struggling with sciatica after your lawn mowing – good news re your DH wound though
    @dykask – hope your trip goes well
    @shelliz – lovely to have you back after your Italian trip and to hear what a fabulous one it was too – 1.5kg gain is not too bad and you will soon dispatch it especially as you are starting with a FD on your return.
    @rabbette – no gain after a 5 day break 👍 I don’t thing 0.2kg counts – that’s just a daily variation!
    @arelkade – sounds like you got back in the fasting saddle – great job with tackling a 2 week F800 – looking forward to hearing how you get on
    @funshipfreddie – great job on dropping that 1.5kg so far this month
    @daffodil2010 – I know what you mean as salty snacks are my nemesis too……and certainly have been this month so far……cheese, nuts and for me a certain type of potato snack called PopChips (at least they are relatively low in calories as they are not fried) BTW great news on the job situation
    @catch87 – good luck with getting back on that fasting bandwagon since November – hopefully we conquered your planned Day 7 FD 🤞
    @michelinme – take care x
    @flourbaby – must give this magnesium oil a go as my sleep pattern has been a bit disrupted of late
    @jaifaim @kaywesterman @brightonbelle @shelliz and @dingping – as @jaifaim said all of us seem to be in the same boat this month – perhaps we can support each other to make a positive change to that situation – Great to see that that I have @jaifaim @dingping attempting a FD with me today!
    @matpi – sorry to hear that your work stresses are continuing this week but hopefully as you say next week will be so much better
    @gretta and @snowflake56 – I too am a great fan of the Australian Masterchef series – have just started watching the 2019 current series

Pocket list day 9 – TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER!
    @shelliz
    @georgia83
    @missybear
    @dingping
    @at (holding on tight to the group today!)

“If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. and when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now” (or should that say where I was until recently!)

I’M BACK!

Firstly a big hank you to @ciren2 for last month and to @jaifaim for herding us this month and a big welcome to all starting out of this journey.
    I’ve just spent 7 days in Spain with two friends, who are the BIGGEST drinkers imaginable and very inactive. So lunch saw an ice cold bottle of rosė or a few beers, never mind the evenings and freezing G & Ts or sav blanc with the condensation running down the glass in a beach bar in a pleasant 23 degrees. Do I need to say more? My waistline tells the story! The food was glorious and on a positive note, I ate what could be described as a truly Mediterranean diet and made good choices.

Back to a rain and a freezing house 🤭. Gritting my teeth to get back on that wagon.

I’ll do my best to catch up on the 6 or so pages later.
    💪💪💪

Day 10 Melb Aust FD800
    Day 9 CD

Had a good CD and am anticipating a positive FD800 once I wake up (it’s soon after midnight here, so I’m counting it as the 10th). Weighed at the doctors, and 3.5 kg down since he last saw me 8 weeks ago. Considering the intervening Easter chocolate, I’m pleased. But still, there’s a long way to go. Still have to lose 3.3 kg just to be officially “overweight” instead of obese. And forgot to ask him about stopping Nexium. Sigh!

@snowflake56, glad the MRI went well. I always ask them not to have the radio going in the earmuffs, as the music annoys me. I haven’t tried counting though. Good that no major problem was found, but frustrating to still be without a diagnosis. Hope the change in diet helps.

@ciren2, re magnesium, I like to buy the powder, and have a spoonful (5 gms) in water before I eat dinner. I can’t believe I put up with mainly feet cramp at night for YEARS before I thought of trying magnesium – such a simple solution to a painful problem. Hope it helps everyone re their sleep patterns, too.

@michelinme, sounds like you need to just give yourself some TLC for a while, and recover fully. It can take a few months to be fully well after pneumonia, and you seem to have had a succession of illnesses since. Maybe your body is saying to slow down a bit – smell the flowers and have some healing time???

Day 10 Pocket List
    @betsylee

Day 9, UK, FD, 2nd post

FD going well so far, had a small couscous salad for lunch so I could socialize with work colleagues (250cals) and will have 2 boiled eggs and carrots for dinner – cant go for a walk today as a distraction so will have to rely on sheer willpower to avoid any cravings amd corrupt my FD *glup*

Maybe I will pack for my holiday, that way I can avoid the kitchen area.

Keep going Fasters, we can do this!

Day 9 Eastern WA USA – FD

Pocket list day 9 – TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER!
    @shelliz
    @georgia83
    @missybear
    @dingping
    @annemarilyn

Yes, another glorious sunny day here in Eastern WA! So glad I moved back to the sunny side of the state. Washington is really quite a diverse state with a rainforest, mountains, lakes, desert, ocean beaches and more; whatever a person’s in the mood for.

@funshipfreddie – the obesity situation is bad in many countries. One thing I saw written somewhere, was that if people would go back to how their parents or perhaps grandparents ate obesity would be reduced. People used to eat 3 meals a day; not all day long. I know in the USA for a while nutrition/fitness people advocated eating within 30 min of getting up and then eating every 2 -3 hours throughout the day. That’s a perfect recipe for weight gain. I think fasting, giving the body a break from eating is a significant piece. Oh, yes and the sugar and simple carbs oh my! I know of more and more people who have even their children on the ketogenic diet which turns the food pyramid (at least the USA has) on its head.

Okay, a commitment for me is to make choices I have control over such as what I eat and when I eat. What the scale says I don’t have control over directly at least. So I’m getting on it less this month. I know I’m glad that I’m comfortable in my size 14s and some are getting looser. If I continue with my part, the body will change further. My main goal is to get my waist to .5 of my height!

As @at reminds us, “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. and when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”.

Day 9, VA, USA, WFD

So for any one who gets a discouraging number in the morning after WFD.
    observe this

162.2 – May 9 07:40am (WFD cont from night before)
    161.8 – May 9 11:45am (WFD cont.)

I had started WF May 8th after Lunch around 1:30pm. The readings above are from the next morning and then afternoon and is only a few hours later – know that it does take some time to get the numbers down. Now sometimes I go up too later in the day, but again don’t fret or get discouraged. Be mindful of course what you are eating and if you have been aware of your eating then you will see it eventually (sometimes its still not in the numbers, but in the way the clothes fit)

Today straight up WFD and going to possible extend it to either 55hrs or 72hrs. That would be either B2B or B2B2B! I like seeing how I feel so I’ll update as I go along.

@kaywesterman – while I was traveling I found that water fasting was helpful and fell into a routine of OMAD (one meal a day) was also helpful b/c then I could eat what I wanted when it came time that everyone wanted to eat and not fret so much with how many calories because I did OMAD every day.

@brightonbelle – thats the spirit. Don’t fret b/c there are over 2/3 of the whole month to go! One day at a time. Re-set/FDs are ready anytime you are ready.

@annemarilyn – I’m a savory kind of gal, so my Keto Waffle I ate it with FULL FAT whipping cream sprayed out of a canister, which to me has a hint of sweetness in it! I don’t care for syrup. (Otherwise if I didn’t have Whip Topping I would still eat it with just a dash or two of butter!) I’m also LAZY, so my Keto waffle I found a recipe that I did NOT have to separate the eggs. I’m not doing that at breakfast time, maybe for a cake or dessert later (I love baking!), but at 7am I’m not fussing with separating eggs.

@annemarilyn & @snowflake56 – yes, why is it that any kind of american competition show they are down right mean! I like British or European or Aussie ones much better because of the positive attitude. I mean you already know that you didn’t do as well as the person who won, why not give helpful criticism instead of just throwing them under a bus!

@michelinme – just being mindful with food will be challenge enough. We had a nasty virus that went around here last year (mind you ours was only 4 weeks) but it was an odd virus, that you thought was only a cold the first week, but then the next 2 weeks you had No VOICE and No energy, then the last week No focus. It didn’t feel that bad but yet I couldn’t go and teach yoga AND I always felt wiped out. Heck I felt like that was long and it was only 4 weeks. My goodness I’m glad to hear that you are hopefully coming out the other side of this thing.

@gretta – Its so funny to be to tired to rub stuff on the legs but I too have had it happen. I have restless leg syndrome, so I must put something on them, I already typically have rough sleep and if I forget to put stuff on the legs my sleep is even worse *or lack there of.

@georgia83 – ah yes as I said to annemirilyn I found a recipe that I did not have to separate the egg (as I am L.A.Z.Y) at least in the mornings I am. Keto Waffle recipe at the end of this post!

@funshipfreddie – I was overweight as a child, I would say it was mostly from my parents giving me WAY bigger portions than I should have had. My Dad was notorious for giving me a plate nearly as full as his (and we were poor so I felt bad if I left any on my plate, so I would eat it all and I believe that is why I don’t know what it is like to feel full, b/c I always ate way after that point. I’m only learning it now.

@jaifaim – YES turn this ship around b/c you are not being left behind, good shout out! Oh an yes Keto Waffle recipe below from the site easyketodishes

@daffodil2010 – one word hormones (even if you are beyond seeing a cycle) all creatures still endure hormonal fluctuations! ALSO from what I noticed, if I start the day with ANY food or even a dash of almond milk in my coffee, I’m way more likely to be hungry. Thats why I am obsessed with just starting with WF and maybe have a small dinner, if I choose at night.

@flourbaby – Well dang the Thai Lunch, but Hooray for the awesome FD! Heck Yeah B2B!

@dingping – oh my gosh you are not alone, I felt weak just reading what you typed, thanking my stars that my OH has no idea that if they called and asked if I wanted an order of dumplings (thats my weakness) I would just melt to the floor.

@debster251 – Reset = FD, its waiting for you! I feel like I must be one of your friends as I am/was a big drinker! Although I can not drink wine (it is not kind to me) but otherwise anything else, whoop down the hatch. Had to put myself on lock-down lately tho b/c man the calories of alcohol!

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_
    Keto Waffle with notes… down below.
    My SO tried it, they said they liked it, but would have wanted it sweeter *they like some sweet things, but I have noticed they do like things sweeter than I do. So to me it was AWESOME, but I could see others wanting it sweeter. (You could add a drop or two of stevia if you did desire it to be a hint sweeter)

Keto Waffle
    Ingredients
    1 cup almond flour sifted (add more if needed)
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum optional
    1 cup heavy cream or heavy cream and a little water
    2 Tablespoons oil
    3 eggs

Instructions
    In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum (if using).
    Stir in oil and eggs. Mix until blended.
    Note: The full 1 cup liquid is usually not used. Slowly add heavy cream until desired batter thickness is achieved. If your batter ends up too thin, add in more almond flour to get it thicker.
    Pour into waffle maker to cook.

Some topping ideas for these keto waffles:
    sugar free syrup
    low carb fruit
    spread with almond butter
    vanilla bean whipped cream

NOTES/CHANGES I made
    – I couldn’t find my xanthan gum *its optional anyway.
    – I used 1 cup of coconut milk (like the full fat coconut milk in a can used for a lot of Thai cooking)
    – I replaced a small amount (about 1/4cup) of the almond meal/flour with coconut flour as I thought this would give it just a hint of sweetness and add to the richness in texture.
    – it did not spread to the edges, but I just pushed it to the edges in my waffle iron.

Pocket list day 9 – Got to get up that hill! We can do it!
    @shelliz
    @georgia83
    @missybear
    @dingping
    @annemarilyn
    @rabbette

Sorry I’m so long winded, hope you guys don’t mind the NOVELS I write.

Day 4,5,6,7,8 Montreal Canada, FD

Well, I had completely blown it over the past few days, mainly due to social engagements, and finally some sun and warm temps that just called for G&T’s.

I was going to throw in the towel but after reflecting for a while whether I wanted to be a quitter or not, and having had an extremely surprising and pleasing weigh in this morning, I am not going to be a quitter!

I am down 1.5 pounds, and am completely astonished. I guess the uptick in my exercise levels, and certainly being mindful of what I was eating even when socializing, paid off. Now the challenge is to stay away from those G&T’s! Have a wonderful day all, and onwards and downwards.

Day 10 NSW Australia FD800
    8.50am Friday

Hi everyone. Just checking in.
    I’d like to join my fellow Aussie @betsylee in getting the Day 10 pocket list on a roll:

Day 10 Pocket List
    @betsylee
    @arelkade

Congratulations to all those on a downward slide, and also to those just plodding – we are all doing ourselves a great favour following this WOL 🎊

Have a great day whether you be fasting or not fasting xx

Day 9 USA (Illinois) NFD

Today was pretty good despite our quarterly “100 Women Who Care” (a donation group I belong to that is actually national – supports non-profit organizations). This evening there were lovely appetizers provided by the restaurant and just one glass of Merlot. Yeah for me. 🙂

@flourbaby – thanks for the shout out and bit of history of us oldsters! I really am going to research and find magnesium oil.

@brightonbelle – yeah for you and your determination.

@funshipfreddie – my county of Illinois is right next to Wisconsin (known as the Cheesehead State) and we have almost as many cheese factories as any Wisconsin county. Lots of cows/dairy here. We LOVE our cheese too.

@snowflake56 – so glad to hear the MRI was tolerable, and prayers you’re getting good help now that other issues are ruled out.

@daffodil2010 – congrats on the job front. Good on ya.

@at – resetting is a good thing. Oh so much better than giving up.

@debster251 – Spain sounds marvelous! Congrats that you were able to stay Mediterranean despite all the flowing alcohol!

Onward and downward.

Day 9 Ohio, US — FD800

Well, sort of a breather today. No workmen in the house, no house showings, no meetings at work, so I was able to take the afternoon off and catch up on chores that I haven’t been able to do for a couple of weeks (like grocery shopping). Also went for a deep tissue treatment and that seems to have gone very well. Just impending deadlines for tomorrow and Saturday.

Since I’m about a kilogram within my weight goal, I’m shifting over to what MM recommends in his Fast 800 book for going towards maintenance. Hence a MFD (800 cal) instead of my usual FD (600 cal). The extra 200 cal certainly makes things go more smoothly.

@daffodil2010 To answer your question — I teach at the university level. This is the end of the academic year and is almost always a very stressful time. A confluence of events has helped to increase the stress to MEGA levels this year.

Hope everyone has a great end of the work week!

Day 9. California. NFD

@rabbette – I like that your postings are novels, I feel it balances out my short postings 😂

Day 10 – Melbourne Aus – NFD

Quick check-in, will catch up on posts later on. Just had a team meeting with lots of biscuits, chocolate, chips, and muffins. Managed to limit myself to two chips, and had my unsweetened greek yoghurt afterwards. Win.

Have a lovely friday everyone!

Day 10: Gloucestershire, UK: NFD

Still stressed, and eating with it. It’s mainly the ongoing sale of our buy-to-let flat in Southampton (miles away, and empty since November). Our solicitor says that in 25 years of working in conveyancing, she has never come across such a difficult and protracted sale! Our buyer is on his second set of solicitors and his third mortgage company!!
    At least DH’s back wound is progressing well. We didn’t need to travel back to the hospital for another wound-check this week as it’s stopped leaking, so that’s a relief. He still mustn’t bend, twist or lift for another four weeks yet….I do all that. Also hasn’t felt up to driving yet, maybe he’ll try next week. So I do all that too.
    I’ve ordered a couple of (hopefully) motivational books and also a hypnotic CD to try and get me back on the wagon….ha…ha!

Day 10 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Day off today but it will be spent fitting out the kitchen in the van.

Have a great Friday everyone ☺️

Day 10, second post (around 5 p.m.) FD800

Fast day is going well. Actually good solid rain for some of the day, which is limiting re outside activities, but oh so good to have rain at last!!! There’s been little rain for the past 4 months here in Melbourne – the driest start to the year on record (which is for more than 100 years), so the lovely sound of rain on the roof is very healing.
    Wilbur (cat) has happily stayed inside to keep me company, and I have exercised by “house-walking” for 32 minutes. So – a good day for me. Dinner is already planned, so little thought about food is needed. Then I’ll be off to buy a fan heater to take to prayer group tonight. It’s held in a portable room at church, and the reverse cycle AC is NOT going to keep us warm. Weigh-in tomorrow.

Keep on the downward trail everyone!

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 719 total)

You must be logged in to reply.