Lost lots of weight last year and have now put half of it back on

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lost lots of weight last year and have now put half of it back on

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  fruitylolo 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• I lost a stone and a half last year, this summer i put 3kg back on and I really want to lose it again. I am still doing the 5n2 rigorously but I have not lost anything for ages! I don’t know what to do

How frustrating.

If your fast days are sorted, it might be time to have a look at your non fast days: sensible portions, healthy foods, no snacks. Would keeping a food diary help?

Hi fruity and welcome:

Although you are gaining weight and not on a plateau, you might try what is recommended in this post: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/on-plateaus/ I think they parallel Cinque’s suggestions, which are spot on.

Good Luck!

yeah I don’t eat amazingly healthily, but I did the exact same last year, and still kept losing weight, think maybe I have plateaud but not sure why

Fruity,
    even though I have got to the lower end of my healthy weight range (thanks 5:2), and I eat healthily: no sugar, lots of veg etc (but with a few bad habits) I still need to do 5:2 to make sure I don’t put weight on again.

I have read research that indicates that our body thinks our higher weight is normal and is working to be efficient enough to get back there. Even our healthiest hunger signals are encouraging us to put on weight. Your body is succeeding at that now, so it seems that you need to be more careful. Hopefully our bodies will eventually get the message that we are at the right weight and normal hunger signals work!
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

PS There is a nice theory that losing weight slowly and steadily is the best way to allow our bodies to adjust our metabolism to a lower weight.

Good luck finding that ‘slow and steady’!

Once I began fasting and found success dropping over 100#, I realized there was no way I was ever going to stop fasting …

I had gotten so heavy over the last 25 years, and I felt so hopeless that I would ever lose so much weight … I am now less than 10 pounds from my target weight, and once I reach that weight, I recognize that I will always have to keep fasting as the primary tool in my toolbox …

I did the math, and recognized that a mere 46 ‘extra’ calories per day, over a 25 year span, is all a person needs to grow an extra 120 pounds … I will always eat too much, and so I will always need fast days to maintain energy balance and to offset those days of overeating …

I decided that – instead of stopping my fasting routine, I would just go ahead and eat as I want on non fast days, and keep the fast days as a means of offsetting the extra calories … That is my maintenance plan …

I would love to think I can stop fasting and just ‘eat normal’, but history has shown I have been unable to eat a normal diet … I’m gonna stick with what works …

More importantly, in the nearly five years I have benefited from this hugely successful method, I have learned much about how fasting provides greater benefits than just weight loss … Autophagy is now my goal, and I intend to use more water fasts as I go forward … I’ve done a couple of 36 hour fasts, and they have been highly successful … It’s a great way to busy through a plateau …

Fasting is now my life … I will stick with it until I’m done …

Good job, Trajan. You are correct — to continue Fasting is to maintain your lower weight as well as to accrue the other benefits. Well done!!

Fruity, how is your progress? Have you had any revelations about what to keep and what to remove from your Slow Day eating?

What did you do in that last year? Why not to stop what you tried?

Well I have tried a few things recently, I tried alternate day fasting and this made me drop weight quickly but is not sustainable for me. I decided I might try evey other week doing 3 days of 5.2 rather than just two. I am also ensuring to run about 3-4 times a week and on fast days do exercise too. I am also trying to limit my calories on non fast days to 1600 or so but so far not really lost that much! Keep losing then putting back on – really disheartening

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.