Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 14,401 through 14,450 (of 16,657 total)

• Good morning all.

Jo, continue to take care of yourself and enjoy your hobbies. Remember we will still be here if you need a boost.

RT, thank you for the wise words.

Amazon and co: love your ‘cans of willpower’. They seem to be on special very occasionally in our ‘supermarket of ideas’ when the process is easy but, like other popular goods, they can be very hard to find when we run out and have to find a substitute or give up that recipe for now.

Fasting Monday comes around again. I have a cold but it’s on the wane so will see how far I can go. I have some sachets of miso soup if absolutely necessary.

For dinner tonight (only 10.5 hours away) we are having pasta (only for OH) and veg sauce (onions, tomatoes, red capsicum, oregano, garlic and mushrooms) with a sprinkle of parmesan. Didn’t watch what I ate over the weekend – ‘cold meets comfort food’ but refocussed now since I started reading Jason Fung’s The Obesity Code on my Kindle.

Take care all and keep up the good work. n xxx

Good morning Bay!

Good morning HCB!

Morning, Nicky.

It’s cold, wet and windy here, and I will be grateful for support as the fast day continues. 😏😏

I was supposed to paint the second coat on the trellis, but that won’t happen until much later when it dries out. Dark clouds look as if they will give way to sunshine later, with huge gusts of wind pushing the clouds across the sky.

Now have to find a substitute physical activity. May have to resort to scrubbing the floors. 😜😜 Having a dog means the tile floors can always use a wash. πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺🌺

Hello,
    It’s so nice this virtual connectivity!
    While many of you are fasting and you are out and about I am getting mentally sane for my day tomorrow. My last meal was at 7pm and no alcohol at all. I think this way my body and mind takes less stress tomorrow.
    When I am up tomorrow you’ll be done with yours.
    The weather was beautiful here today, we went to church, I walked Sasha and dinner was leftovers.
    Take a shower now and explore that Obesity Code.
    Happy Fasting to you all!
    Jojo my cousin sent me program of our week in London so I must make time to meet with or you join us 😘
    Tomorrow will be a better lighter day 😍
    Xoxo
    B

Hi Everyone,
    Love the posts, love the knowledge. I too am going to order the Obesity Code. Have an awesome week everyone. My goal is to fast for Monday and Wednesday. I want to look my best for my sons college graduation. I am very proud of him, he will be turning 25 next week too. Many transitions and I am going to celebrate by focusing on people and not food.
    Take care fellow fasters.

Good morning all from a still quite cold but sunny day here in Bonnie Scotland . Still patiently waiting for Jims appointment . WE are taking our Granddaughter to Dunfermline today to pick up her Gluten Free Birthday Cake she will be 22 on Wednesday.
    I had put on a few pounds but in the last week I have had 2 liquid only fasts and I am back to my fighting weight . I don’t do them all in a row as I find it better to have a day or even 2 between . Works better for me like that . Don’t want to give this auld body too much of a shock at the one time lol .
    I was out and about with my 6 sizes smaller on yesterday as it was lovely weather and I didn’t need to cover up . I got so many compliments I am sure my head has doubled in size lol .

Had Dad out yesterday too . The Alzheimer’s is slowly taking him away from us . He loves being out in the car and he still sings constantly. He smiles whenever he sees us and I have so much fun with him . We have lots of cuddles too.
    I hope you are all well . I LOVE to read all the posts in here every morning .
    Jo JO . please pop in and let us know you are OK or send wee messages via FB .
    Better go get dressed now . I used to feel bad when it was a nice day as I felt self conscious in my size 22/24 . Now I can’t make my mind up what to put on . YESSSSSSSS I LOVE 5.2 and all of you lovely helpful and friendly people ..Take care

Wee xxxxx

Morning/evening all,

It’s a lovely morning here β›…πŸŒžβ›…β˜€ and I have doors and windows open.

It’s a FD today and as I didn’t eat the salmon I got out of the freezer yesterday I’ll be having it with some roasted asparagus, tomatoes and peppers.

Wee, it’s lovely to hear from you and that all is well in your world and most importantly that you are able to maintain your fabulous weight loss.

Nicky, in my experience having a cold gives the hunger demons super powers. Glad you are feeling better and if you can fast today that will be a great achievement.

RT, apart from the football chat which is all Greek to me πŸ˜‰ I couldn’t agree more with everything you’ve said in your very well thought out post.
    You are right on the money with every point you’ve made.

I am in my only three weeks until holiday mode and determined not to err from the path into the meadow that is called above TDEE. Wish me luck or even whey powder πŸ˜†

Have a good one everybody 😜

Good Morning,
    It’s beautiful here today! Little fresh but for me it’s part of the morning.
    I don’t have anything big on my schedule today but do things around the house and walk Sasha.
    I had a very restful nights sleep! I am taking glucosamine and massaged myself with castor oil recommended by my Chiro.
    Wee I can imagine how you feel 😘
    Sarah you’ll be one hot Mama – aren’t you in Boston?

Question – I have one those blood glucose at home. My last meal was yesterday at 7pm (when I started). Today at 7am, empty stomach my reading was 95. Are you watching your blood glucose?

It is FD for me! Let’s see if I can push it to as far as 24 πŸ˜‰

Have a wonderful day wherever you are.
    Xoxo
    B

It’s a fast day for me too, HCB, for another 24 hours. I don’t have blood glucose issues, so I know nothing about that.

I am finding a problem with 4:3 in contrast to ADF. I eat two days at the weekend and find Monday fasts difficult, I almost need a countdown on Sundays, to anticipate the Monday fast. I am almost never hungry in the mornings, but today I already feel a bit floaty. Nevermind, that wll right itself and then onwards, downwards.

XX Wiwi

Also fast day for me after breaking my fast yesterday at 10pm with a glass of wine and cheese crackers….going well so far and also did an hours workout DVD. Planning on Asian lettuce wraps for dinner made with turkey mince and I will avoid the rice, so OH and I can eat the same thing.

Had a bad weekend drinking too much, so feels good to have a detox today.

Tangatawiwi – I was reading some blogs about 4:3/ADF, if it really makes a difference. Do you find it does?

Hi Ali,

I’ve tried 4:3, 3:4 and ADF.

4:3 means 6 FDs in two weeks and ADF is 7. Over a long period of time it should make a difference in that more weight would be lost doing ADF, but it is really all about what happens on non FDs.

I aim for 3:4 every week ie fasting M,Tu,Th,F and if one of my FDs doesn’t work out I’ve still done 3 fasts in a week and I also have the option of fasting on Sat or Sun.

It is about what suits the individual. There are many successful maintainers who have lost a significant amount of weight by following 5:2 and eating sensibly on non FDs.

The perfect end to our day . Jim just had a call from the hospital . He has an appointment to see the vascular surgeon on Wed . All has gone well with all the tests ( he was told by the people doing them) so hopefully he will get an appointment for the surgery .

Wee xx

Can anyone else hear the sound of sh*t hitting the fan?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36345768

The report may not be wholly accurate but it has made headlines and got people talking about it.

Hi Wee, great news πŸ™‚

Hi Ali
    I think that the one fast day per fortnight that ADF gives/imposes as against 4:3 is probably not significant, but Amazon, your option is a good idea, and your point about non-fast day is the salient point. I like to keep the Monday/Wed/Fri/ fasts constant to organize my life. Sometimes I do 2pm Saturday to 2pm Sunday if things are getting out of hand and social life allows. Amazon is correct that 5:2 has been remarkable for some of us, but not enough for me. I have lost 27kg and need to lose another 10 before I change to 5:2. any maintainers go back to 4:3 from 5:2 when necessary. What we all do is a qualitative assessment of what we eat.
    There is so much literature on food, fast etc which are being put on the site all the time.

The collective knowledge on these threads is golden.

Wee, happy to know that things are advancing for your OH, and you are emerging from limbo.

I’m through to early evening with a pick me up of 4 brazil nuts. So only 20 hours to food time!

XX Wiwi

Hi Amazon
    I read it this morning on the BBc web site. Is the National Obesity forum a quasi- public body?

Yes as you say ‘Controversial’!!

Sounds as though the National Obesity Forum is reading Dr. Fung….

I’m loving the rebuttals to the report!

Prof John Wass, the Royal College of Physicians’ special adviser on obesity, was quoted as saying β€œWhat is needed is a balanced diet, regular physical activity and a normal healthy weight.” If only we’d thought of that… πŸ˜€

Some other experts comment on the report here…
    http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-new-report-on-diet-as-published-by-the-national-obesity-forum/

I saw it on the news today as well, but I think what they are saying is a lot of “diet” goods are bad and try and eat as natural as possible. As in not out of a packet! We always buy butter, full fat yoghurt and my husband and I are both normal weight. I am doing this more for the health benefits as my digestion has major issues and this works by giving my system a break.

Turkey Asian lettuce wraps for dinner and need to stay away from the vino during the week!!

Amazon thank you for your kind words as for me true stories are easy to tell and that link is a bloody cracker I intend to cut and paste till my face falls off πŸ˜† and make some wall hangings great stuff. Eating Fat doesn’t make you fat I am seeing a line off Tshirts people some clever marketing re- get more in ya or up ya πŸ˜‰ make friends with your fat 😯 etc a mini series and a feature film along the lines of run fat boy run 😯 never let the all the truth get in the way of a good headline or story and I embrace the conversation do I hear the beatles playing β€œREVOLUTION”
    Can I get a β€œHALLELUJAH” fat burners ?? and step up to the microphone Mr James Brown with β€œI FEEL GOOD”
    Have a Happy Day
    Peace RT

RT you can’t beat Paul Macartney and John Lennon’s words!! “You tell me its the institution, Well you know, You better free your mind instead” Its easy to see why their songs were so popular!

I have conducted my own personal experiment following three ridiculously overindulgent weekends in a row. And I can report, it is true, carbs do make us retain water! Each Monday I have fasted srictly and the ‘weight’ has literally disappeared overnight. Eg. my weight had gone up consecutively this Sat and Sun mornings, 2kg in total. No, that couldn’t be real fat in that short time. This morning, after a strict 36 hour water (and milk in coffee) only, it is down 1.6 kg, overnight! After Wednesdays fast it will be back to Friday mornings pre indulgence weight. Gosh I am glad Michael Mosley developed 5:2!! Give him a knighthood I say!

Wee, that is great news. Good luck for Wed and keep us posted! x

Morning/evening all,

Nama,
    You are doing really well in managing the temptations of a food filled social life. I’ve not been anywhere lately where there has been a huge buffet or lots of food on offer but I like to think that I am more discerning and rather than having to have some of everything, which I would ALWAYS have done before 5:2, I would be able to cherry pick.
    It is fabulous to be able to indulge over the weekend and then fast to prevent gaining fat. Nothing was worse than the misery of getting on the scales after a social weekend or a holiday, but now we have a powerful, free and simple tool to enable us to enjoy a few treats and not pay for it with an increased girth πŸ™‚

My FD went well yesterday and I’m fasting again today but it’ll be broken with tea and cake as I’m going to Kew with a friend this afternoon and we’ll be going to our favourite teashop afterwards. It isn’t the healthiest FD dinner but I am not prepared to sit and not eat so it is a good compromise for me. I’ll be at the gym in the morning and never feel hungry while I am exercising so any sugar cravings will go unnoticed until lunchtime.

It is another sunny morning with a clear blue sky. Long may it continue πŸ™‚

Amazon, you have a good way with words- yes the art of cherry picking- I find now that if there is nothing I want to eat then I don’t eat.

Does anyone have these blood sugar issues on fast days where you feel shaky and the head turns? I guess it is the body adjusting to fat-burning, but I am not sure.

I am off for a walk in the fresh air(it’s not very fine), and obviously you are having a better spring than we are in France, Amazon. I will finishing digging my garden after a bit of food.
    Raised beds are hassle-free for growing veges, but need a bit of digging and compost added.
    Happy days
    xx Wiwi

Nama, good to know that you lost it all nearly. Yes I agree about MM,
    for making us aware.

Happy put an interesting article on the maintenance thread about an experiment where two groups were studied- one group ate 3 meals, another ate the same food in one meal.
    Simcoeluv originally put it on a thread.

RT, Aussi football escapes me and the rivalries between Victoria and South Australia.
    Your experiences with fasting however are so to the point. Thanks for that!

Hi Wi
    I feel you are right about your body adjusting to fat burning. Sometimes we run low on salt and magnesium on fast days. Try a little bit of salt and a Mg tablet. It can work wonders. P 😊

Thanks, Purple, I got cramp this morning too which would indicate magnesium lack. OH is getting out the magnesium as I write.

I would have had difficulty with a FD if I were still teaching as I would have been worried about conking out in front of 50 students.

XX Wi

I’ve done that! The kids gathered around me, looking down, discussing what I was doing on the floor…they were only 6 and 7 year olds. 😊

Hi Wiwi,
    Occasionally I get light headed, but thats when I forget to drink enough, BP probably too low. A drink always fixes it. Is your BP ok? I agree with Purple, salt and Mg worth a try. I used to get leg cramps at night on fast days until I added extra salt.
    Thanks Amazon, I have had plenty of practise lately. Wise words of yours and Bays pop into my head. I so agree with your comment re it being not the fast days but the non-fast days that we have to tame, plus Bay’s comments about remaining ever vigilant are so true! I guess it is something we are all finally learning! “Naturally slim” people learnt the art years ago. Whenever my husband used to return from a business trip, especially to California, he would always complain that his trousers felt a bit tight around the waist from all the extra eating out. So he would simply cut back on potatoes and bread for a few weeks and hey presto, back to being slim! The big difference with us was he would be on top of it before it got out of hand, guess I am just a slow learner. But I also prefer the dramatic effects of fasting I think.

Funny mental picture – Mrs Purple on the floor and all the littlies wondering what to do!!

Yes Purple, I can imagine your wee ones wondering what to.

Mine would have been fifty 21 or 22 year old Engineering students, all male with an oversupply of testosterone!

I was a slow learner too, Nama, but not too late.

Off for a walk.

Tangatawiwi, that’s an even funnier picture! Yes I’ve had some dizziness too. I happen to have Pilates classes on my FDs and at the start of a class I’m sometimes dizzy, though it settles down. I’ve taken to having instant miso soup at lunchtime on a FD as there is extra sodium and a little potassium there plus only 29 cals in the Clearspring ones.

Afternoon all,

For me, feeling faint is cured with water and headaches with salt. I don’t get dizzy but I include brown linseeds in my diet and they are rich in magnesium and B6.

Just back from the gym in time to see Andy Murray finishing off a very tricky R1 match.

When I first started at the gym I had a couple of episodes where I almost fainted in the shower. After the second occasion the penny dropped and I doubled my water intake during my workout. It is so easy to do when we are trying to keep busy on FDs and I ensure that I always have a glass of water at my side or a small bottle in my bag.

I’m going to Kew in under an hour so he had better be quick πŸ˜‰

πŸ˜‰πŸ˜œπŸ˜¬ RT, love your words. πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

In Melbourne for a few days, going to catch up with Nama on Thursday for a walk in the Gardens. 🌷🌷

Thanks for all the tips for cramps etc. I had eaten a few bananas last week when the leg cramps got worse. I couldn’t stretch out my legs in the morning after sleep, with out running the risk of a huge calf muscle spasm. Must get some magnesium tablets. Played golf today, and ate some salt afterward.

Love reading all the posts.

Wee, fingers crossed. Bay 🌺🌺

tHANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE . wE ARE BOTH A WEE BIT ANXIOUS TODAY BUT BOTH TRYING NOT TO SHOW IT :).Will let you know what is happening .

Wee xx

Xx Wee

Wee lights and blessings! Keep us posted.
    Very busy – drop a note later 😘
    B

Amazon (and anyone else who’s interested),

The National Obesity Forum report that’s caused all the hoohah this week was published on the Public Health Collaboration website, together with their alternative healthy eating plate…

https://phcuk.org/

Wee,

Hope tomorrow goes well… and you’ve managed to stay away from the ice cream this week…?

Thanks for the link Happy indeed real food rocks !! Hi Nama that is a perfect example β€œof a study of one” right there and you all know how big a fan I am of that fantastic now when you have full understanding and knowledge of what the cause and effect of our caloric food intake is on ourselves that people is absolutely golden. Forgive me as I now digress for a moment the baby Aliya is just gorgeous (it’s in the genes) although I did not have the female factor πŸ˜₯ she is now over 5.5kg from birth weight of 3.7kg 9 weeks yesterday had a photo session just beautiful incorporating 5 generations of her Mums family a very special day and I will be getting my snap to add to my wall of fame don’t you worry πŸ˜‰ Her Great Great Nana was born in 1916 and is 99..5 years old amazing Aliya born in 2016 with Great Great Nanna – Great Nana – Nana – Mum and Baby Aliya bloody priceless !!! Ok sorry Now research cap back on πŸ’‘ entering into keto adaptation or the primal way of eating of becoming fat adapted got to love the marketing right πŸ’‘ there with so many papers written with so many leading experts all scrambling to lead the charge it is now IMO more important than ever to do your own research put ourselves up for the experiment and see what suits us. Some say keto adaptation is 3 – 6 weeks others 2-4 weeks others a complete 72 water fast and boom you are on planet keto whether you seek nutritional ketosis under 10grams or a strict low carb under 20grams of carbs a day or moderate of 20-50grams we owe it to ourselves to β€œknow thy self” to find our doable and keep on keeping on.
    Happy Hump Day
    Peace RT

Good morning all.

What a kerfuffle over the NOF’s recommendations! So many experts huffing and puffing, just like politicians with axes to grind/reputations to preserve.

Wee, great news about OH. Sending calming positive vibes through the ether for you both.

RT, 5 generations is fantastic. Males can contribute to gorgeousness too you know. πŸ˜‰

Monday’s fast went well with nothing to eat until dinner – first time I have ever held out that long. Another one today, planning to do the same thing. Little discouraged by the fact that the scales haven’t moved, despite no real change in eating patterns from previous weeks but we all know that plateaux occasionally occur for no obvious reason. My waist measurement is 1cm down in a month. A colleague commented this morning how well I was looking. I translated it as ‘you’ve lost weight!’ – who wouldn’t? πŸ™‚

Happy hump day my fasting friends. n xxx

Excellent work on the 24 hour fast Nicky. “Looking well” definitely reads as “Lost weight”!!!! P πŸ˜€

Oh Nicky your so fine you blow my mind het Nicky hey Nicky !!!!! (song to the tune hey mickie) Im sure you get the vibe πŸ˜† well done on the fasting 24 hours kerfuffle and huffing and puffing beautifully put indeed I will not say good luck on todays fast because you don’t need luck when you have ability
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun. Christopher McCandless
    Peace RT

Thanks P and RT.

Morning/evening all,

Happy, thanks for the link, I’ll take a look later.

Nicky, well done on the philosophical attitude to the scales not budging this week. It is so easy to become obsessed with weight and not look at the bigger picture. If your waist is smaller andpeopleare commenting on how well you look, especially when just getting over a cold, you know it’s working 😎🌹

RT, five generations together is a rare and special thing ❀

I’ve just done B2B but had about 700 calories yesterday so will adjust today’s non FD intake accordingly.
    I had tea and cake which was very nice but the sugar awoke the hunger dragon so a 350 calorie FD dinner was also consumed.

Going to the gym followed by a long walk meant I clocked up 23000 steps so I slept very well last night.

Wee, thinking of you and Mr Wee and I hope all goes well.

Hi all

Amazon, you did do well to walk so far, no wonder you slept well.

FD nearly over – watching mindless TV quiz show for another 10′ before it’s time to cook dinner. Stomach making gurgling noises, fortunately OH is in another room. Was quite hungry about 3pm but had YET ANOTHER cup of tea and chatted to colleagues so didn’t even succumb to the temptation of miso. Soooo looking forward to Atlantic salmon and salad for dinner.

Good morning NHers, sleep tight SHers. n xxx

Happynow……Interesting article about basing meals on carbohydrate and eating low fat versions of dairy. Very controversial compared the other articles on this site. Scary numbers. I left the UK 20 years ago and don’t remember there being so many overweight people then. 65% rise in 10 years obesity….what changed I wonder? Fast foods? Video games?

Fasting today and going well so far. 2 black coffees and some stewed fruit. Off to do the ironing now to keep myself busy then do my work out DVD. Already prepared my boys dinner yesterday which I can’t eat (raviolis) so easy dinner for me. 2 hour process making the pasta etc, but they love it so worth the effort.

I bought myself a Fitbit also Amazon but have never walked that far! Do you have a dog?

Nicky, I should have pointed out that I wear my pedometer all day and after the gym it is usually at 7-8000 depending on my workout but yes it is a lot regardless of whether it’s outside or on the treadmill.
    I did a lot of walking on the cobbles of Rome and am trying to keep it up as in just over 2 weeks I’ll be staying minutes away from the North Cornwall coastal path and there is one along the South coast too.
    I think long walks are a very easy way to increase stamina and IMO it is more about distance than speed. It also has the advantage of being free and easily available πŸ™‚

No Ali I don’t have a dog πŸ™‚

What has changed is that the majority have more disposeable income, and the availability of cheap takeaway food. When I was a child we rarely ate between meals and no-one ever ate or drank in the street or on the bus with the exception of an ice cream on a summers day or a late night bag of chips. Food was consumed sitting at the table during a family meal.
    A myth has been perpetuated that we need to eat every 3 or 4 hours and we have /happily gone along with that. The amount of high carb and suagar laden snacks has grown in order to feed our bad habits.

Ali,

Carbs and low fat is the government’s current advice, and I suspect mirrors the official guidance in a lot of western countries.

That isn’t controversial.

What’s controversial is what you refer to as ‘the other articles on this site’ which seek to challenge those ‘healthy eating’ guidelines πŸ˜€

I think everyone is an individual and what works for one person doesn’t work for another. I know if I eat too many carbs I feel bloated and lethargic. If I base my meals on vegetables and lean protein I feel much better.

Ali,

The point is that the official healthy eating guidelines don’t work for the vast majority. Unless you’re doing a massive amount of exercise/ physical activity you really don’t need much if any refined carbohydrate or added sugar.

Despite the obesity, and type 2, explosion, the strain on the NHS etc, the powers that be are sticking to the unhealthy advice.

NOF and PHC have put the cat among the pigeons by going mainstream in the UK with the alternative views that most of us here are already on board with.

Viewing 50 posts - 14,401 through 14,450 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.