Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 13,601 through 13,650 (of 16,657 total)

• Happy- learning Bridge is going well but there are so many rules and complicated scoring. I have booked into ‘beginners lessons’ as the current classes are too advanced for me, most of my group have been playing for over a year. My teacher thinks I have a natural aptitude as I have played cards with family and friends my whole life. You definitely need a good ‘memory’ and understanding of the bidding system. Saying all that ‘I love it and I am definitely hooked. I think the one of the keys is getting a good partner, if they misread their hand you can find yourself in the sh**. I had to play two ridiculous hands today, no support from my partner, very low point dummy hands, yet she increased my original bid, I lost both contracts. I did win ten tricks in spades game as I had one excellent hand with a reasonable dummy hand. According to the instructor it takes three years to learn the game and I can believe it. A friend of mine is ranked 32 nd in the world play, it’s all he ever does, lots of worldwide travel involved.

Fasting wise, it’s tough, I have to be honest and report that at the end of day 2 , I am shattered, no energy at all. I found Ukelele classes tonight really stressful but I am making progress, albeit slow, now playing about 6 chords by site. I bought a new ‘tenor’ uke from a Woman who has given up learning. She only used her beautiful wooden Uke for 5 weeks but feels reading music is too complicated. I made a good saving on the cost of the instrument and got a free hard case so I am chuffed. It’s a much better sound than the cheap soprano instrument I borrowed from my son. I hope I feel more energised tomorrow as I am playing bowls in Tunbridge Wells for the ladies team. If I still feel ‘drained’ I will eat before the game rather than after. I don’t remember this effect last time I did a ‘no food’ fast. Weirdly I don’t feel hungry, drinking water or green tea always seems to make hunger go away. It’s been said before but I wonder how often we eat when a drink does the job of satisfying us.
    Happy ‘hump’ day Fasters.

Morning/evening all.

My bedroom is finished and it looks fabulous. I’m really pleased with the way it has turned out and the standard of the work. I sent my builder some photoos after the floor was done yesterday as he keep a portfolio of his projects and he called me to make sure I was 100% happy with the result.Two more days until the furniture arrives and it will be complete.
    It was bliss to get back into my bed last night after 16 on the sofa bed. I had spent several hours cleaning, moving and tidying stuff after the floor men had gone and was worn out! I had been worrying about putting it back together and it was so easy, took me all of 5 minutes and 4 of those were moving the pieces back into the room!
    Needless to say I slept like a log ๐Ÿ™‚

The last piece of old furniture is in the car to be dropped off at the recycling centre, and then I’m off to the gym.

My cold doesn’t want to leave me but it is much milder than many I’ve suffered from and I don’t feel unwell but I had to drink much more on my B2B FDs. At once stage yesterday I felt faint and famished. I realised I hadn’t had anything to drink for a couple of hours. I was momentarily tempted to eat some cake but had 3 glasses of water, some salt and a handful of blueberries and felt fine within two minutes.

A friend popped over and I said I wasn’t opening wine as I was fasting ๐Ÿ˜†

I’m going to her place for dinner tonight and I’m sure we’ll have a glass or two ๐Ÿท

Time to get moving,

have a good one everybody ๐Ÿ˜œ

What terrible news about the bombings in Belguim. It makes you afraid to go to airports. My friend and her children are flying into Gatwick today, I will be glad to hear when she is in the car on her way down here.

Amazon- Great news, I am looking forward to my bathroom being done in two weeks then kitchen in May. It will be good to cook in a bright airy room as opposed to a dark and dingy one. Maybe it might make me enjoy cooking more, still a chore to be suffered for me at the moment. I too am out for dinner tonight at the bowls club, first meal in three days, I will probably eat the cloth. Ha Ha!

Had a good lay in this morning and feel rested and well so sticking to plan to fast on day three. Didn’t even wake hungry or thirsty. I will have a nice cuppa then enjoy the lovely sunny day with a coastal walk before the rain descends this afternoon and right through Easter. Another 1 1/4 pounds down in weight so it’s worth it to me to get results on a daily basis.

Have a great day everyone

Hi Jo,

The building work has prompted a major de-cluttering project as I had lots of boxes and bags stowed under the bed and I am reluctant to put them all back. As a result I’m sorting through cupboards and wondering why I ever bought some items, let alone kept them for so long!

I’m also going to paint the hall and the bathroom in the near future and after that the kitchen needs some TLC. My back is so much better I’ll be able to do the painting myself which means it’ll be a fraction of the cost than getting a painter and decorator in, and as I’ve already got 3 holidays booked this year I need to be careful with my pennies.

My workout was really tough this morning as my cold affected my breathing but I got through it. I decided against a swim as I didn’t want to start coughing and inhale any pool water ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

I’m looking forward to having my dinner cooked for me, I’ve not been to my friend’s for a meal for some time and she is an excellent cook.
    I am very weary so I may have to take a nap before I go!

Hi Fast Trackers
    Nicky Emel and Aussie O in South Australia Nama in Victoria Bay in ACT PVE in NSW WiWi & Barata in NZ and Jojo SAMM HappyNow Amazon Herm Lizzy Ply Tartan lass Smiffy Lor_PA CakeyWakey Sarah103 HealthCoachB Tessy pen nib Iona72 Pentimento pranayama and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) ๐Ÿ˜‰

โ€œthe difference between men and womenโ€™s brainsโ€
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BxckAMaTDc
    Funny asโ€ฆ
    Have a happy Easter all you beautiful losers ๐Ÿ˜†
    Peace RT

Loved the Link RT, so true!

Just had dinner and on my way home in the coach. We had a terrible away game, shocking loss. Cest la vie- we enjoyed meeting the team, nice people, good bowlers. Nut roast for dinner with hot veg, good meal to break my fast.

Good Morning All,
    Very quiet on here. I hope everyone is OK.
    We are heading into a difficult time for some, Easter Weekend. Luckily I am not tempted by chocolate but I am by Hot Cross Buns. I haven’t made or bought any this year as I don’t have family visiting. I will probably have one tomorrow in a cafe then avoid them the rest of the weekend.
    I am back to 19/5 daily, my preferred fasting method. No 500 cal fasts planned until next Tuesday and Thursday. I think I should reduce TDEE post surgery when I am resting and reading 800/1000 cals should be adequate, probably just have a short walk for the first week, maybe two. See how I feel and what the Doctor suggests.

Sticking to 1200 cals on other days when I am doing my 10,000 steps as it is doable in fact it feels quite luxurious these days.
    Up a pound up on yesterday mornings weigh in but I am hoping its water retention or normal fluctuation. Not sure of the calories in the meal at the bowling club yesterday as nut roast probably quite high, guessed at 450 ish plus I had a glass of white wine, no pudding though as it was chocolate gateaux. There was a cheese board option but I am avoiding cheese due to gall bladder. I don’t want to upset the apple cart a week before surgery.
    Weather still mild here but rain forecast so I am getting my walk done now.
    Have a great weekend everyone. This will be my first Easter without one of my children here, seems very odd. But I am keeping busy, playing bowls Sat and Sunday. I also need to do some chores, especially de- cluttering. Might even do some Spring cleaning.
    Keep fasting and keep to your TDEE but mostly keep walking.

Hi Jo,
    I am in Jamieson til Tuesday and wifi a bit hit and miss here when its busy. I don’t think the local service copes when all the ‘weekenders’ turn up!

Had a very brisk walk today as husband was on his new toy next to me – he has finally bought himself the electric bike he has wanted for ages. Was quite funny as he kept shooting off then circling back, but it made for a brisk trot for me! He wants me to get one now, but I think I will stick to swimming. I would probably fall off it!

No Easter Eggs in this house either, easier to avoid if not purchased! Hot Cross buns safely in the freezer (for now), time will tell! We are having a camp oven roast with a big group of family and friends on Sunday, that will be my challenge for Easter!
    Good luck with your bowls and your de cluttering – now thats very therapeutic!

Hi
    No chocolate in this house either and one solitary hot cross bun in the freezer (given as a free sample at the markets last week!)
    Lots of salad makings and a sourdough loaf rising. Nice peaceful weekend to potter on the garden.
    Have a good long weekend everyone. P ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿฆ
    Edit: the chicken was meant to be yellow, but came out blue! Bluebird of happiness ?

Hi everyone.

I had a really nice evening with my friend who bore in mind that I’ve given up bread for Lent and served a prawn and avocado salad, followed by a Stroganoff type dish served with vegetables and then produced an apple frangipane tart and cream!
    It was a lovely meal. I ate too much and drank too much but thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am having a half TDEE day today to compensate. My exercise so far this morning has been on my hands and knees scrubbing the kitchen floor as the mop just wasn’t doing the trick. It is now gleaming and I’m enjoying some Bircher muesli and coffee before cleaning the bathroom. I’m determined to get rid of this dust by the weekend as it is driving me crazy ๐Ÿ˜ท

It is overcast with rain forecast so I won’t be going out today apart from across the road to collect a suitcase full of clothes from my from my friend’s spare room.

I don’t care for Easter eggs as I prefer dark chocolate and prefer it to have something in it such as nuts, ginger or even chilli!
    I do have my stash of HCBs in the freezer though…….

Have a good Easter everyone, wherever you are and whatever you’re doing ๐Ÿ‘ฏ๐Ÿท๐ŸŒท๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿฅ

Here in Rome, people don’t know about hot cross buns, though I am tempted to make some. The dove shaped panetone are everywhere, as well as easter eggs. We will organize an egg hunt in the garden for the children. The garden is full of citrus fruit including ripe kumquats, which I love and they are the same size as the Easter eggs and just as brightly coloured as the foil covered mini-eggs. I will concentrate on kumquats.
    The peonies and magnolia are flowering beautifully. Yes it’s spring in Rome.
    I have been making animal biscuits with my grandson (4years old) who is on holiday. He chatters away in English to me and in Italian to his father. I am constantly amazed by his agility to change languages. I guess I did not really notice this with my own children as I spoke both French and English like them, but my Italian is still rather elementary.

It will be a fast Good Friday tomorrow.

happy Easter
    XX Wiwi

You paint such a beautiful image of family life in sunny Rome Wi! Enjoy your Easter with the kumquat hunt.
    Amazon, don’t get too excited about removing the dust..relax and enjoy your renovations…and your HCBs. ๐Ÿ˜Š P

Well no chocolate Easter egg here either! But I have succumbed to a pack of M&S hot cross buns. They come out top cf other supermarket buns… And I’m nicely within my maintenance range… Just as well as OH won’t eat them! I don’t have a vastly sweet tooth anymore…but it is Easter ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Everyone,
    Toasted HCB already demolished, it was delicioso. So HCB are popular amongst Fasters far and near, the chocolate egg, not so much, interesting.
    Visited the hospital for pre-op exam this morning. These are quite intense now including an ECG, blood tests, blood pressure tests and even MRSA swabs. All good results fortunately so full steam ahead. Only one week of no driving after the operation which is great. Post op. there are two weeks of ‘no lifting’ weights heavier than half a kettle of water so I won’t be using the vacuum, tragic! I should get all my papers sorted or shredded in my recoup time.
    Far too much food eaten today, lunch out with choir then tea at a friends. I will be cutting back tomorrow like you did Amazon. Salads ordered at bowls Sat and Sunday too, why tempt fate.
    Wiwi- I adore Kumquats, I am jealous. Glad you are having fun with your grandchildren in Rome. Bi- lingual children are incredible. I once taught a four year old that spoke four languages fluently, her parents and grandparents were different nationalities and all involved in her care, she was a very bright four year old.
    Happy and PVE and other maintenance gang – great work on your continuing perseverance to keep your weight under control. I met a friend today who had lost three stones with Slimming World, sadly she has regained two stones in one quarter of the time it took to lose it. She went on a cruise, it led to a total bender. But the good news is she is going to try fasting.
    I got a new ‘adult’ colouring book (that does not mean it rude)for Easter instead of an Easter Egg. Pictures are based around an Enchanted Forest. That should distract me from eating snacks in the evening.
    Amazon- I need to scrub my kitchen floor too, it’s usually more effective than the mop and burns calories as a bonus.
    Night All and good luck Fasting or maintaining on this holiday weekend

You were up late, Jo. Glad the tests went well and all will be over soon. I would think an iron is heavier than a 1/2 kettle, too! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    My one HCB disappeared happily this morning…I was quite light after some careful eating and fasting. Ah, that butter melting off…mmm..
    As a result of having had a carb breakfast, and typical overcast Good Friday weather, I pulled out my old recipe book, tidied up the pantry (including putting French labels on all the jars!) and made 2 dinky little 1/4 sized boiled fruit and nut cakes. My mum’s recipe, with the sugar halved. Thanks Nama. I had forgotten I used to make one every year to take camping over Easter. The house smells amazing. SO much better than chocolate. ๐Ÿ˜† P

Hello EFBโ€™s Efficient Fat Burners
    Nicky Emel and Aussie O in South Australia Nama in Victoria Bay in ACT PVE in NSW WiWi & Barata in NZ and Jojo SAMM HappyNow Amazon Herm Lizzy Ply Tartan lass Smiffy Lor_PA CakeyWakey Sarah103 HealthCoachB Tessy pen nib Iona72 Pentimento pranayama and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Jojo good to hear your back on the 19/5 daily it is of course as you all would know one of my soapbox subjects so I will quickly dance around that issue by saying that the baby came out of hospital today at 11am so Aliya and Mum and Dad are starting the great adventure in their home today what a great privilege it is for me to from the sidelines watch over them all and ensure all is well. We also had the traditional wetting of the babyโ€™s head last night in his shed about 20 fellaโ€™s got together and we played pool or 8ball played darts watched the footy on the big screen a good game for the opener busted a few unorthodox dance moves to some AC/DC tunes I bought a box a beer and got rid of them with ease and wandered home around 2.30am a little shabby and disheveled today ๐Ÿ˜ฏ and Amazon if had a known i would be this thirsty today i would have drunk a few more last night ๐Ÿ˜† and so did smashed the low carb concept big time yesterday ๐Ÿ˜ณ with beer yum cheese and onion chips yum pizza yum yum and hot chips with chicken salt yum yum yum ๐Ÿ˜† there wont be any easter eggs for me never been a fan now poached eggs scrambled eggs omelettes hard boiled eggs fried eggs yes please all fresh from our farm beautiful

What did the Easter Egg say to the boiling water? It’s going to take awhile to get me hard I just got layed by some chick!

So, Easter commemorates when Jesus hid eggs for the disciples to find, and then he turned all the rabbits into chocolate, right?
    Q: Why doesn’t the Easter Bunny make noise when he has sex?
    A: Because he has cotton balls.

Q: Why do only 20 percent of blonde chicks lay Easter eggs?
    A: The rest are hunt’n peckers.
    Q: Have you heard about the blonde virgin?
    A: She hangs out with the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus.
    Peace RT ๐Ÿ˜‰

Back to your day job, RT ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

Hi all,

Jojo I guess that means a 2 week break from bowls too? Goodness that will be difficult for you, but worth it I guess to be rid of your nuisance gall bladder! I find the 19/5 system useful too. In fact this week I have ‘failed’ a couple of fasts, but redeemed myself by sticking to 19/5. So no damage done. Fasting strictly today in anticipation of an ‘eating weekend’ with family and friends at Jamieson.

Purple I agree about the smell of fruit cake cooking, its magic. I have modified my old recipe quite substantially apart from the sugar. I also add extra nuts and vary the fruit according to whats in the cupboard. This week I used some cut up dates, some dried figs and some dried apricots as well as usual sultanas etc. Lots of fibre in the cake! I also double the recipe and make one big cake plus a couple of dozen muffin sized ones. These are rather cute!

RT lucky the baby was a girl, or she would have been in the shed for the head wetting too! I hope your son and his wife are not too stressed to enjoy their miracle. I remember being pretty overwhelmed with my first!

Glorious autumn weather here in Jamieson, perfect for early morning and evening walks!

I play around with basic recipes, too, Nama. I added pistachios and pecans, as well as extra currants and craisins to the boiled fruit cake. Yummy.
    I’ve also been experimenting with “funny” grains. I cooked some feekah and grated lemon zest on it. Served a small amount, cooled, as a bed for a chicken salad. Lovely nutty addition and super healthy. ๐Ÿ˜Š P

What are craisins, Purple? Are they chocolate raisins?

It’s good Friday and even though we are not far from the seat of Catholicism, it’s business as usual. I was taught that Good Friday was the holiest day of the Christian calendar, yet in France and Italy, everything is open. In France, the reason is that people prefer Monday holidays and they don’t really work on Fridays anyway.

Happy Easter- today is a fast day for me.

Wiwi

Morning all,
    Yes Nama, possibly 3 weeks off bowls, very sad.
    Fasting today as stomach paying for yesterday’s excesses.
    I think South America have Good Thursday and Good Friday- Not sure they have Bank Holiday Monday.
    Have an enjoyable weekend whatever you get up too
    Love the jokes RT and it sounds fun in that shed

Interesting Wi. As you know, almost everything is closed here on Good Friday and Christmas Day and most people leave Sydney, so it is bliss!
    Craisins are dried cranberries…no chocolate here. ๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡P

Morning/evening all,

It’s a lovely sunny Good Friday morning here.

FD for me too.

I can’t believe the difference in the floors having used a scrubbing brush. Much more effective than a mop.
    My cold has taken it’s favoured route and settled on my chest so I’m coughing like someone with a 40 a day habit. No gym for me today ๐Ÿ˜• which is bad news as I need to find something to do to keep me away from food and I guess that means more cleaning.

I find 19/5 doesn’t really suit me and try to stick to 16/8 on non FDs.
    Yesterday didn’t go quite as well as planned as I decided after all that scrubbing I deserved a slice of cake and the remaining slice was sitting all alone in a great big tin………………
    Today is another opportunity to lose weight and I shall keep busy and polish my halo along with the living room furniture and stick to the plan ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I have my very tasty tofu lasagne and salad to look forward to this evening after my furniture has arrived.

I’m going to bake bread tomorrow for the first time since January and am looking forward to a bacon sarnie.
    I am also going to bake using some blackcurrants I have in the freezer. I’m thinking about putting a thin layer of sponge cake on top of them and it can be eaten hot or cold. I don’t have many so it won’t be huge. The sponge will be an experiment using half the amount of sugar and if it is horrible I can peel it off and chuck it in the bin and eat the blackcurrants!
    I don’t think I’ll be eating any HCBs over the next few days………๐Ÿ˜ฉ

Purple, I made a boil and bake fruit and nut cake for the builders a couple of weeks ago and it was delicious, so delicious that I ended up slicing what was left and freezing it to stop me from eating any more!
    I routinely halve the amount of sugar now when making fruit cakes and rarely use the prescribed fruit. It all depends on what is in my basket currants, raisins, sultanas, prunes, figs, apricots, almonds, walnuts, pecans, brazils, cherries. I do like candies peel in fruit cakes and buy whole pieces wholesale rather than those plastic packs of cubed as they have much more flavour.

RT, while I was drinking all that wine I kept thinking I should have some water but the idea just didn’t appeal at the time. I did drink two glasses when I got home and took another one to bed so I think that is why I was OK yesterday.

Love the Easter Funnies ๐Ÿ‡

Have a good one everybody ๐Ÿ˜œ

Sorry to hear about your cold Amazon, how miserable. Fingers crossed you hack it up and shake it off quickly!

Jo, I hope your stomach recovers from the excesses! I know the feeling ๐Ÿ™ We ought to know better by now…pigeons would learn faster than us though!

P, I bought some freekah a few months ago and forgot about it…I’m sure OH will enjoy trying something new tonight ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve just eaten a HCB. Nice, but I know I’ll be hungry again soon. Was it worth the 200+ calories? Hmm, probably not! Will I eat the rest of the pack? Hmm, probably yes!

Happy,

I used to suffer from very frequent and heavy colds which invariably ended up as a chest infection when I was working but since I retired I’ve only had two. One was over NY and now I’ve got this which I think is rather unfair as it must be someone elses turn. Having said that, neither of them have been as bad or lasted as long as previous experiences. Hospitals are unhealthy places!

I have always maintained that M&S HCBs are the best and a friend of mine who goes on a mission every year trying them all insists that Waitrose are the best. As I shop there I bought some and they contain a bit more spice than M&S recipe which I really like so they have edged into first place. I have a stash of both in the freezer but they are the mini variety and only contain 100 cals (M&S) and 88 cals (W) so with some butter that’s only about 400 cals :lol:๐Ÿ“ง๐Ÿ”ง

My Adelaide friend served up freekah and we didn’t like it. With the befit of hindsight I think she undercooked it and I might give it a second chance. My grain of the moment is pearl barley. I had some a couple of weeks ago with some chicken and I cooked it in some home made chicken stock, delicious ๐Ÿ™‚

I shouldn’t be talking about food as I’m really hungry, a combination of lots of carbs over the past couple of days and my cold which always makes me ravenous.

No idea where the spanner came from ๐Ÿ˜„

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/mar/22/hot-cross-buns-taste-test-which-supermarket-packs-the-best-buns

This purports to be an independent consumer review, and waitrose were deemed too dense, doughy and pale.

Since our nearest waitrose is 45 miles away, it’s a bit irrelevant anyway!

I wouldn’t travel that far for one!

M&S HCBs will still have a place in my larder, I’ll probably buy a pack of each in future.

HCB’ and Chelsea Buns have arrived in the house via my OH. Cruel man, despicable behaviour and he bought me a chocolate egg even though I have been asking him not to buy me chocolate for 10 years. What does it take? Seriously! Aaaarrrggghhh!

Fast day was going well until 1 pm when the Chelsea Bun arrived. Be gone Satan, I refuse to eat any more rubbish today even if it does smell and taste delicious. Making soup later that should help.

Just getting some pots ready for planting in my front garden, need some colour desperately. Won’t be able to do these jobs next week so I am on a deadline. Fantastic weather today and Soring Fair in town. Hey ho !

Amazon- it’s the the cough that carries you off! Get well soon!

Have a great day, be strong! ( unlike me)

Hi everyone,

My furniture has arrived. It took me two hours to unpack it and I now have a car full of polystyrene and cardboard. Guess where I’ll be going in the morning?
    The furniture looks good and I’m very pleased with it. The bonus is that my ancient wardrobe is exactly the same colour which is more than I was hoping for.
    I’ve put some clothes away but am too tired to do any more until tomorrow.

I’ve been really hungry all day and have been sorely tempted to eat but held out until dinner which hasn’t filled me up so the kettle is on for a mug of tea.
    An early night is in order for it to be a successful FD.

Good Evening All,
    How exciting Amazon, but another visit to the tip, you must be on first name terms now. My husband took a trip there too today, no queues, bonus. We had loads of garden debris as I cut back here and at my flat, new tennant tomorrow. Hope he is better than the last one. Seemed really personable when I met him, quite charming in fact.
    It was such a lovely day we cut grass and painted fences, so very, very, busy. So good to be wearing sleeveless top and crop trousers with sandals.

Just had a mushroom bake with veg for tea, very filling so it should keep me away from the goodies.

This will be my last trip to the tip for a while as I’ve nothing left to get rid of apart from the excess lbs on my body!

I made myself put the remaining clothes away and the good news is that there is only one storage box under the bed and everything else has a home.

I can relax now and enjoy the Easter weekend ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿท๐Ÿ‡๐ŸŒบ๐Ÿฃ๐Ÿฐ

Sorry to hear your cold is now on your chest Amazon. ๐Ÿ˜ง
    We experienced pearl barley in risottos several times when we were in the UK, so I made one about a month ago. Very nutty flavour (like the freekah) and low GI. A good option if you like risotto. I tend to use only 1/3 of the grain in risottos these days. Many more veg.
    I’m doing the reverse with clothes, Jo…getting the long pants out and not having to tie my hair up. Great weather for gardening and long walks.
    We have kerbside rubbish pickups bi-annually …one is very soon..so we have a huge stash of unwanted gear waiting to be put out. Most of it gets picked up by professional junk colllectors well before the council takes it to landfill. We stick the better things on eBay or Freecycle. Very cathartic to clear things away.๐Ÿ˜Š
    No breakfast. Light eating today. P

Morning/evening all,

Grey and dull with rain forecast today but I’m out to see some friends who have two small boys who never fail to make me smile.

I went to bed early and survived my FD so was up with the lark this morning. That’s fine as I want to get my bread dough proving by the time I go to the dump/recycling centre. I’m hoping everyone else has better things to do at 8am on Easter Saturday.

I bought a shoulder of lamb for the weekend. I de-boned it yesterday and am going to make a spinach stuffing for it to have for dinner this evening and tomorrow. I have many plans for the leftovers.

I’ve decided not to make dessert as there will be cake when I visit my friends and I really want to try the Simnel cake I’ve baked for them!

Hi PVE,
    We used to have that system but it stopped a few years back. Cost cutting exercise. We still have gypsies who tour the street collecting metal for scrap so that soon vanishes but otherwise we need to take our own rubbish away. We have charities that collect furniture( provided fire safe).
    I have woken up feeling very depressed and despondent about my weightloss future. I just can’t see the end in sight. I think I need more than a cyber buddy now, I need someone real to support me(my husband is still sabotaging my efforts) he can manage his own weight with high calorie food and enjoys it, so it’s always going to be in the house. I am not blaming him, he is entitled to eat what he wants. I am resisting it most of the time ( if I weaken I count the calories in my allowance)but it is undermining my efforts on non fast days, the pound I gained is still there today even though I did an 800 calorie day yesterday. Basically I feel I have let myself down if I eat high calorie food like Chelsea bun or HCB because I know it is not ‘good calories’ but I also feel ‘deprived’ if I am sensible and refuse. It’s a no win situation.

I only eat one meal per day and one snack(usually soup) and always meet my 10,000 step daily goal. I really prefer hot meals to cold so tend to avoid salads in favour of hot veg, it seems more satisfying somehow. I am active all day but usually sitting in the evening, I believe this is the change I need to make next but it’s not much fun walking in the dark on your own, in fact it is positively spooky even with dogs in tow. At least the clocks go back now so it will be lighter in the evening. I don’t really have the energy left for an aerobic activity( apart from walking fast) in the evening.

I still find that colouring or revising my Spanish is keeping me out of the kitchen but it doesn’t exactly burn calories. Ideas anyone? I am 3 stones and 10 lbs down from my highest weight but still need to lose 4 stones. I have been dieting or fasting for three years now. I need help! I need to stop the pounds going back on after a non fast day.

Fasting has been the most sucessful weight loss I have experienced and I feel healthier and energised but it hasn’t stopped me gaining weight between fasts. I am in a cycle of losing weigh gained of non fast days even though I control these on calorie intake. There must be an answer but I am beginning to think it might be an even lower TDEE and I am not sure I can sustain 1000 calories on non fast days, longterm, it’s really hard. I will give it a try after my surgery next week.

Jo, I can feel your frustration as i’m in the same situation and about to give up completely, but I’m going through difficult time and other stresses.

What worked for me before and I would suggest you to try is to treat non-fast days with cautious and to have a well structured eating plan and to avoid bread and starch. That is what I have observed my naturally, effortless slim friends do (have three of them and they are very close to me) Some time you may need to eat your allowance of calories but other times you might not need them. I think this is the trickThe most important thing is to RELAX. You will be able to achieve your goals better when you are relaxed than when you are stressed. You are half way through and you have done the hard bit. Think about what you have achieved so far. Amazing!! think of all people who are participating in this forum and inspired by you!

You are an INSPIRATION to all of us. I wouldn’t have lost this stone and a half without participating in this forum. I was talking to my friend the other day and told her that it’s so good and free while other weight lose programs charge to participate in their forums.
    Keep Calm and Carry on Fasting.

Jo,
    first of all, Tasa is absolutely right in everything she has said, you are an inspiration to so many and you have done really well, but like everything else in life, losing weight isn’t always easy.
    You know how hard it is to burn calories through exercise and doing more isn’t the answer.You need to find a way to stop sabotaging your efforts and eat less every single day. Despite what you say if someone of your current weight and as active as you can only eat 1200 calories there must be a reason and it is one of two things, either you are not counting every calorie accurately or there is a medical reason. I am saying this because I am a couple of years older than you, have never been as active and I can eat 2000 calories 5 days per week fast for 2 days and still lose 1lb.
    You eat out on many occasions due to your active social life and therefore it is impossible to accurately count calories and I would guess that despite using MFP the total you get is less than you are consuming so you need to find a way around that problem. As for the self sabotaging and lapses of willpower you must be firmer with yourself in such situations. I know that is easy to say and bl**dy hard to do but it is entirely up to you what you put into your mouth. I empathise with you as you are going round in circles much as I have for the past year. I’ve finally found my way through it and am only 2lbs off my lowest but it hasn’t been easy and I’ve had to be really hard on myself.

If you really want to lose the rest of the weight you need to plan your meals better and make allowances in your menu for meals eaten out where you are guesstimating calorie content.

I know it is hard and I’m so sorry to hear you are feeling so fed up with everything but you can do it. You need to put the effort into meal planning and resisting temptation that you put into everything else you do.
    Remember that we are all here for you as you’ve always been for us. I believe you can do it and I hope you do too. X

Thanks Tara,
    I just need to shake off the doldrums. The weather is not helping dull and drizzly here. I think many of us Fasters are fighting this battle alone albiet we have our free cyber forum. I could just do with someone local to walk with or exercise with that truly understand the challenges. All of my close friends are either slim or not interested in dieting. I have just been talking with my daughter on Facebook. She understands exactly as she also has problems losing or maintaining her weight. Although only 10 stone and a vegetariarian she hates the social effects of constantly having to watch what she eats and drinks, it’s isolating, frustrating and boring. I don’t usually eat bread or cakes and have turned that particular corner, also I don’t always eat up to my calorie limit. I am guilty of not planning though. I eat loads of different types of veg, eggs and fish. Rarely eat full fat cheeses due to gall bladder problems, certainly don’t exceed two ounces at a meal. If I can’t cut the calories any more I need to up the exercise, it’s just a fact. But at the end of the day I just need to suck it up and keep working on it, at least I can face myself in a mirror these days without feeling like I am an elephant. I think we all feel overwhelmed like this occasionally and my being honest may help others with their feelings of frustration. Positive action is the only way forward, I am going to start an evening ‘walking for slimming’walk three night per week stating in May.

Hi Jo,

Due to stress and career change and looking for new job and lack of support i fell off the wagon for the last week and I’m eating vey badly and irresponsibly. Every day I tell my self this this the last day of messing but its not! I’m trying hard to get back and I hope I can make it to regular two day fast.

I agree to have some one close to share the experience with is very helpful. I walk with a neighbour weekdays 6:30-7:30 am. It’s amazing and she is an avid walker and that made all the difference for me. Always have to keep up with her speed and energy. Sometimes I walk with another friend in the evening trying to improve my fitness. On weekends(not regularly) I have a third friend to walk with, But I still enjoy walking on my own, as life gets on the way sometimes one or the other of my friend can’t make it to walk I go on my own. I think joining a running club or walking group would be a good place to find people with similar interest.
    I agree we feel overwhelmed occasionally specially if like myself having too much in my plate and I get stressed for the tiniest thing.
    This forum and walking are great

Hi Jojo, Tasa and Amazon.
    I think you are ALL right about certain things.
    Congratulations on sticking with it whilst having other stresses Tasa, you are so right about Relaxing!
    I agree with you Amazon re strict meal planning and not relying on exercise to burn calories.
    Jojo, to me there is a clue when you said (a couple of posts back) that you felt ‘deprived’ if you are sensible and refuse to eat unhealthy foods (HCB etc). Firstly, you need to remember that you are almost half way thru this journey. So you must be doing lots of things right. However, I think you need to do some soul searching (or have hypnotherapy) about your relationship with food. You need to be tough with yourself here, really decide if it is worth it to be healthy and slim. I think that is the main breakthru many of us have made – we have decided, that although we do love food, we are not going to let it rule us. The pleasure we get from it is real, not imagined. But we need to limit the amount of unhealthy stuff or it will alway rule us. That is what is so wonderful about fasting. We can still enjoy the more calorific food, just much LESS of it than we used to! More exercise wont hurt you but it wont be nearly as effective as cutting calories.
    I hope this gives you something to consider. Just remember, you have lost a lot of weight already and you can master this challenge!

Jo, I have little to add.
    You said walking in the dark is scary. On this journey you are not walking in the dark. Listen to the wonderful advice of your many cyber friends. You CAN do it. Just keep it simple. Do proper 5:2. Eat good food on normal days (up to, say 1600 cals), but be strict on 2 fast days a week. Keep busy, but don’t wear yourself out. Exercise will not take those pounds away, restricting food does.
    You shouldn’t feel deprived if you eat 5 days a week. Learn to choose wisely, enjoy food again. It is not your enemy if you treat it with respect.
    Big hugs from “over here”. P x

Just came in to say hiya . Jojo I am a stress eater too and I am finding it really hard at the moment , I wanted something sweet so I just made myself custard with my special milk and my Kid on sugar ( as Jim Calls it) worked out at under 350 cals . , I might not be around as much for a wee while .

Yesterday Jim had another appointment with the vascular surgeon . He had a CT scan ( more precise than the ultrasounds he has been having the last 10 years). The AAA is now large enough to operate BUT not suitable for a stent to it is to be Major open surgery. he is to have a fitness assessment ( the recon within about 2 weeks) to see if he is fit for the anaesthetic etc. So it is now a waiting game . Jim is OK with it as he is getting lots of pain in his legs now and the surgeon said it would fix them . he said 2 for the price of one . We talked a lot about it all day yesterday . mostly about the plusses . So it is now a waiting game . xxxxxxxxx

Hi Weeman,
    Thinking about Jim and wishing him well for surgery.
    PVE, Tasa and Nama- thanks for your advice.I will keep on keeping on because I know there is no other choice for me. Just met a lady at bowls who has been on Slimming World for 16 weeks and only lost 2 pounds. Made me feel alot better about my progress, she is now being tested for an under active thyroid.
    We had a great win at bowls today which cheered me up. Now enjoying a nice cuppa.
    I am planning next weeks meals, hopefully that will help.

Hello EFBโ€™s Efficient Fat Burners
    Hi jojo I find your relationship with your husband some days and ex-husband other days strange I have a lot of separated friends and I doubt they would be welcome in their exโ€™s homes little lone dine out with buy food for with treats etc so you certainly do a very โ€œopenโ€ relationship with him it would seem. Now for the tough love we all eat too much and we all have the capacity to eat too much crap not a good combo in this fast life we need to adopt the โ€œsurvivorโ€ mentality to outwit out last and outplay the fast because the less we eat the more we lose so there for clearly somewhere in your calculations there must be errors in establishing a base line of 800calories for the BSD or the 1200 non fast day. I still think
    โ€œIt is easier to avoid eating than to stop eating once startedโ€

Peace RT

Thinking of you and Jim, Wee. ๐Ÿ’œ Keep strong. P โ˜บ

Good Morning and Happy Easter from Out Back of Downunder!
    Sorry to read your news Wee, but what a relief to get rid of the damn aneurysm if its been hanging around that long. And a bonus of the leg pain resolved! This is 2016 Wee, they will be very careful with your dear Jim. But none of that makes it less scary does it? I hope you enjoyed that custard, very beneficial with calcium in the milk! A few years ago you would have had a lot more than just custard!
    RT you are such a gentleman – for not mentioning my teams crushing last night! Your Crows didn’t disgrace themselves like the Pies did! Apologies to all the footy haters – its that time of the year again here!
    I hope you all have a lovely Easter Sunday with your famiies or significant others, whoever they are! xx

Hi RT,
    Yes my marriage is unusual, we are living in the same house currently after having lived separately for 18 months until last July. We are ‘currently doing up’ the large marital home before selling it to go our separate ways, it’s a big job, lots of rooms. We get on well these days but are not ‘a couple’. We were married 28 years before separation and old habits die hard. We eat out together with mutual friends and family. We also both see friends and persue hobbies separately. I tend to do the buying of food and cooking and we share household chores plus gardening. I guess you could say we are more like old friends these days, sharing living costs and it’s less lonely in the evenings. He is my ex in terms of relationship but we are still legally married.

TDEE is 1200 because it is my maintainance level for non fast days, recorded and proven as such. Fast days vary between ‘no food’ to 800 calories depending upon planned activities. I agree that ‘no food’ days are actually easier than calorie limit days. Maybe Hypnotherapy is a possibility? Anyone tried it?

Have not personally tried hypnotherapy Jo, but I know several cigarette quitters who have used it with great success. Worth considering. Apparently it can tap into our sub conscious and challenge our deep seated beliefs, thus enabling us to change them.

Nama, I think I will do some research on it first but I am open to trying it, it would be fantastic to live ‘temptation free’ and may be a long term solution. Maybe I could get them to sort out my fear of heights too.

Meantime I will continue to fight the good fight. I have designed a poster for my ‘walk for fitness’ group which I will put up at the bowls club today. I thought I would do three different walks to add variety. So long as we don’t end up at the pub it should be great. Initially I am going to do a six weeks trial of ‘Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 6 pm’ but I think I will need at least two other organisers to commit to it so we definitely have a walk leader each night. Let’s see what response I get? Bowlers are busy people and ‘a game’ will always take precedence.

The scales remain stuck today so I am no food fasting until dinner tonight when I will have a salad with no pudding after bowls. I still rely heavily of sparkling water and tap water plus green tea to get me through the day.

Off for a walk now between cloud bursts. Hope the weather is treating you better in Oz and NZ?

Morning/evening all,

Jojo, I was wondering about hypnotherapy, it might be worth a try. As Nama says it has helped a lot of smokers to give up.

It is so hard and we have to be so careful and sometimes I feel guilty for eating something I really didn’t need or if I’m out somewhere, like a party pooper for saying no thanks but it is how I feel not the person offering the food so maybe I should join you!

Talking of walking, Kew are opening their doors to their members at 8am from 1st May which means I’ll be able to get up early and walk there when it is quiet. It is a great opportunity to see the gardens that early in the day. I’m thinking of trying to go twice a week on the mornings I don’t go to the gym.

I baked some wholemeal seeded bread yesterday which was much firmer than the white loaf I usually make and made it easier for me to cut thin slices. I thoroughly enjoyed my bacon sarnie and shall be having one for brunch today. The rest of the loaf is in the freezer keeping the cake and the HCBs company. I noticed a slab of all butter puff pastry that I bought for something I planned to make at Christmas and was tempted to defrost it and make something sweet, but I pushed it under a packet of frozen veg and shut the door!
    I went to visit friends yesterday and took chocolate for her and the boys and a Simnel cake which was very good if I say so myself. I do find it amazing how cutting the sugar by half is barely noticeable. I might try cutting by 2/3 next time I bake and tasting the raw mix to see if it is OK.

I cooked my spinach stuffedd lamb shoulder last night and had it with spring cabbage, cauliflower and onion sauce. I would usually have had roast potatoes and parsnips but decided I had reached my carb limit for the day, something that wouldn’t have occurred to me before 5:2.

I used to cook a roast dinner for myself every weekened when I was working and take leftovers for lunch. It is a rare treat now and I think I enjoy it much more.

I woke up to sunshine streaming through the windows but it has clouded over very quickly and the clouds look rather threatening so I think I’ll stay home and keep my hacking cought to myself.

Viewing 50 posts - 13,601 through 13,650 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.