Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,851 through 10,900 (of 16,657 total)

• Hello Everyone,
    I have counted calories or points the majority of my life. I can proudly say I wrote in a food journal for 12 stinking weeks, it was not perfect but I did it. I found out I gain a pound with one piece of cheese. That was a year ago. If I do not fast to keep my weight the same is about 1000 calories with 20 carbs. Since I have been fasting on non fast days it is about 1200-1500. Lately I have only been water fasting one day a week. I am short only 5foot 2 inches. Also it has been nice not to count calories on non fast days as I use to do on myfitnesspal. As long as I am maintaining I am going to try to eat clean foods and not binge.
    I love reading everyone’s posts about this subject, everyone is different, and it is nice to see the variety of ways we can live our lives.
    Night All

Good Morning All,
    Scales up 1 lb today due to over indulgence this weekend( bread and ice cream on both days), hopefully that will be gone after today.

I don’t really count calories in terms of controlling them but record them on Fitness Pal each night before bed. Like PVE I know what most foods are so keep a mental check daily. I use Fitnesspal as a recording tool really but it helps me gain control over non fast days. I have a set food plan already listed in fitness pal listed over the week with variety built in then I go ‘off piste’ for social events. It takes one minute to update nightly and record that days weight. I wouldn’t say I restrict to 1200 cals every non fast day but if I don’t I regain lost weight. Sat and Sunday I went up to 1500 and My weight is up today. It’s hard to justify cheating with my history of weight loss/ gain but I have to accept that control is too difficult to maintain for 7 days per week, doing my best, I am only a frail human. Food is still comfort when I am bored, tired or lonely. I try to keep busy and active.

I think if you have a set goal set, you just have to plan. Three months to go and some serious work to do. It was a realistic goal last year when I set it but I didn’t account for Six months yoyoing around holidays and trips. I regained the same 7 lbs four times, depressing or what? I have actually lost an extra 2 stone during my journey, my goal would be met by now.

So now Mon, Wed and Friday – Fluid only herb tea, miso soup, water.
    Tues 19/5 plan – soup for lunch, salmon salad for dinner
    Thursday 19/5 plan – soup for lunch – egg salad for tea
    Sat 19/5 plan – soup for lunch – prawn salad or stir fry for dinner
    Sunday 19/5 plan – roast for lunch – soup for tea.
    All soups home made – favourites spicy squash, chicken, mushroom, leek and potato.

If I can stick to this it guarantees 3 lb loss per week but three months is the limit. After this I hope to do 5:2 19/5 daily for my trip to NZ and Aus to maintain. Can but hope?

This may seem a bit drastic to some Fasters but I have had a long journey of over 2 years now so it seems possible if not doable.

Good luck this week my friends

Hi Jojo,

Of course you are a ‘frail human’ -we all are! (unless there are some Martians in our ranks) I have always believed 5:2 works (compared to the usual ‘calorie restriction every day’ type diet) because of the very fact that it is NOT every day. We get to relax on the days we choose and this makes it easier to be stricter and fast on the days we choose. Its perfectly reasonable to have the weekends off, but the weight will always be higher Monday morning. Its not actual weight gained, just a reflection on the scales of what is passing thru our system. When we fast we are instantly lighter the next morning because there are minimal ‘solids’ in our gut. Your personal weight loss journey has been a very long one, but you keep persisting and you will get there eventually. I think sometimes we have to lower our expectations and modify our goals to be more realistic. Its a fine line isn’t it, if we are too tough on ourselves, we set ourselves up to fail. But if not tough enough, we slack off and the losses virtually stop! I think the main thing is to keep trying, the reward will be worth it!

Good luck with the plan Jojo. It’s been a long road for you, but you’re approaching the finish line in fits and starts!

You can’t possibly have gained 1lb of fat from eating 300 cals more than TDEE on one day. If you’re like me, you weigh heavier on a Monday morning due to water retention and possibly more food in transit.

You say it’s hard to justify cheating with your history of weight loss and gain… That type of talk belongs in history! What are you cheating on exactly? This isn’t a calorie controlled diet. Think of it instead in terms of eating a bit less or more. So you eat more one day, you will need to eat less the next to compensate. A bigger breakfast than normal? Well then, you’ll have to have a lighter lunch/ evening meal. There is no cheating, just managing overall calorie allowance. You can still ‘overeat’ if you want, but accept if you don’t want to gain weight you’ll have to do some undereating too.

No more talk of cheating! Here endeth the lecture… πŸ™‚

Happy Monday, fasters everywhere.

Or maybe there is a Martian? Or are we just channeling each other Happy? !!!

Scary!

Jojo that is exactly the strategy and planning that keeps the doable remove the doubt its Tuesday
    So its soup for lunch and salmon salad for dinner window opens at 2 closes at 7 again the doubt is removed
    Do the doable this reminds of my hard rocking American SAMM plans and details Jojo and Emel this is or at least maybe a blueprint which I eluded to for you have the plan you have the skill set you know what it feels like to be hungry enter the hunger taming dancing queen

β€œOur objective on a fast day is to achieve as long a fasting window as possible”
    Peace RT

Morning/evening all.

Jojo, if you can only eat 1200 calories per day without gaining and you are doing three liquid fasts per week, how are you achieving the calorie deficit necessary to lose 3lbs per week? Do you not think you are setting yourself up for a fall?
    I know you want to be at goal before your trip but is it a realistic target? Please stop being so hard on yourself and just keep going. The weight will come off eventually.

I think there is a lot of confusion around the term weight loss when in fact we are all talking about fat loss. They are not the same, and despite discussing human physiology endlessly for example water retention, food in transit etc., we are still relying on the scales to tell us what is happening when they can be so misleading in the short term. We all need to look at the long term trend which for all of us still trying to lose weight, is going in the right direction even if it is not happening as fast as we would like. I’ve been getting really frustrated as my willpower has gone AWOL recently but I was thinking about it this morning and I weigh 11lbs less than I did in January and that has made me feel much better. My goal weight deadline has been moved several times, but it hasn’t been cancelled.

Have a good day/evening everyone

Amazon, Nam, Happy and RT,
    Thanks for your advice. I know I am too hard on myself but it comes from frustration at my own will power concerning food. You are all right of course. I am not changing my goal date because I know I will slacken off if I do, one last push might get me there. This is one of the reasons I set up this thread, small weekly goals are more sucessful on the whole. Social life and holidays do get in the way but mostly in a nice way. Health issues unfortunately also have a habit of interfering with our plans and diet success. Most importantly I will be healthier when I have lost my extra weight.

I will keep on making progress, as will you Amazon and we will celebrate together.

Ply and Smiffy must be at goal now! How is it going girls?

Jojo – is it possible for you to increase your activity? That may help kick start a weight loss if you are struggling by counting calories.

Hello. Like Emel, I am returning to the fold. The activity and camaraderie on this thread makes it hard to stay on top of the posts, never mind posting but I miss the group and the positive vibes here. I also miss being in the company of like minded people. I am pretty close to goal now – 3 lbs to go and will be scooting over to maintenance soon, but it is so nice to be able talk about IF and not have people look at me as though I had stepped off of a ship from Pluto. It is also really nice reading everyone’s inputs and to be able to cheer people on (and be cheered on when necessary).

FD for me today – so far so good, but it is the same theme for me, the last few lbs have been a monumental struggle and much of that is due to pretty regular failed fast days. Today I am trying a liquid fast as I am among the many that find FD easy until that first bite of food passes my lips. I just had a cup of veggie broth for “supper” and feeling satisfied, here’s hoping it continues.

I think I might owe you all an apology. A couple of months in I had posted a link to an article regarding “Social Jetlag” that I had found fascinating. As a newbie, I should have just ridden the wave for a while before I started shoving in a major oar. Sorry if I offended.

Be well all, strength to today and tomorrow’s fasters.

DJ you don’t owe an apology as you had posted previously and joined in. What annoys is the spam posts ☺

Iona Jojo undertakes a lot of activity and exercise and this makes no difference from what I can see.

FD for me today aling with physio. Chat later. AO

Iona, if you read Dr M’s Fast Exercise book you can see how exercise is not a quick fix for losing weight. Eating less is.
    Once weight falls off, the body starts moving faster and most people feel the need to tone muscles and get the thrill of using a new body shape. It is not effective as a weightloss mechanism and causes injury with joints working too hard to move an overheavy body.
    Fat will only be burnt if there is no food readily available from recent eating. This is why fasting works. It seems, once experienced at fasting, the body can quickly change to fat burning when there is no new food available.
    Simple. It is the opposite to bank accounts. Don’t allow reserves to build up. You don’t need the fat for an impending famine, so don’t let your body store it. Fat is always going to be a result of eating more food than is consumed. Exercise burns some fuel, but why overeat to have to burn it off?
    That said, APPROPRIATE exercise is a wonderful way of distracting from eating.;) P

Hi Everyone,
    Jo-jo I love that you plan. I like how you put in all your food for the week. I need to do this! Then I might not feel so out of control. I like being in control. I need so much accountability.
    I agree with food over exercise. I heard it somewhere.. 80% food and 20%. This is why today I spent 4 hours food preparing. I am taking five girls to a church camp next week. I am staying for 5 nights, I am bring some of my own food. I really do not eat pancakes for breakfast, or hotdogs for lunch. Thankfully they do have some healthy options for some of the meals.
    Today I made spinach hamburgers, vegetable chili with meat, steamed broccoli, mashed cauliflower, and an egg dish.
    Happy Now.. I like the positive attitude.
    DJ and lona welcome to the group.
    AO have fun at physio.
    Good night everyone.

Purple, Thanks I will have a look at the exercise book, it sounds interesting. Especially since I’m aching somewhat today after the gym yesterday! It’s my last day off work today so I’m making meals of leftovers and then FD Wednesday and Thursday when I’m back at work. The distraction of work helps against the temptation and it’s nice to look forward to a small salad when I get home.
    Stay strong, talk soon.

Good Morning All,
    Yesterday’s fast day blown as an unexpected visitor from Australia arrived for a visit. I had to quickly poach some salmon and make a salad. There was champagne too as she has just got engaged to a charming Australian boy. The only sadness is that she has put on lots of weight, he too is of a generous size with a huge appetite. She has always struggled with her weight but had successfully lot most of it last year. I hope she can gain some control again, she has the skills.

They are already planning children yet they have been together less than a year. She is a children’s nurse and he is a child care worker so they probably have most of the skills necessary for parenting. She has been like a second daughter to me so I wish her well in her plans, at 30 she should know her own mind and I respect her judgement.

She said I looked fantastic so I told them about my fasting approach to diet but I could see that they had little interest so I quickly moved on to other topics. Her mother is one of my best friends and she is very worried about her daughters weight gain but to be honest at least it is generally healthy food, as a vegetarian and non sugar fan, just too much of everything which includes bread. Portion control is her problem. After I had provided a meal I discovered they had been out for both breakfast and lunch already. I could have done that in the past but not any more.

So I am liquid fasting today up to dinner time, to make up for yesterday’s 600 calorie dinner and drinks. I have more salmon already cooked and salad left over so dinner is ready. Scales down half pound only of 1lb gain so I can’t let up. I have my friends husbands funeral to attend today but I will stay away from the buffet. I will be very busy organising lifts and making sure everyone is ok. Many of the guests are over 90 years of age, lifelong friends of The couple. His parting will be a huge loss to my friend as they were childhood sweethearts, meeting and courting since their teenage years. Most importantly her family and friends are there for her.

Iona72- fortunately I am retired so I probably do more physical exercise than most because I have unlimited time. What do you think? I walk my dogs for an hour everyday too and swing a kettlebell for 20 mins three times per week.
    Monday – Ballroom Fitness, yoga, swimming and badminton.
    Tuesday- lawn bowls, circuit training
    Wednesday- indoor bowls, yoga, swimming or lawn bowls.
    Thursday- lawn bowls, circuit training, ten pin bowling.
    Friday- ballroom fitness, yoga, lawn bowls
    Saturday- lawn bowls
    Sunday- 2 hour walk then lawn bowls game

Although lawn bowls, dog walking and health walking are not aerobic they are at least active. Lots of bending, arm swinging and I always add pace to my walks. Ballroom fitness, kettlebell swinging and circuit training are aerobic.

When my damaged knee is better I plan to start running. In the evenings I am busy painting my flat so I don’t get much sofa time. I did watch some tennis and cricket but I couldn’t resist it. Socially I like to dance rather than sit and chat, never happier than when on the dance floor.

But I should say I am not in the camp that exercise makes you lose weight, not if like me you have always been active. It does tone you up, build muscle and make you feel and look healthy.

I am looking into the effects of efficient gut bacteria to burn calories. There was research carried out to identify why some people burn food more efficiently than others. I am definitely not an efficient fat burner. I have always had a very sluggish digestive system. It has been aided by giving up starch but it still is not great. I have increased water intake, natural yogurt and smelly cheese( not a hardship) as the French seem to have sussed eating well and not getting fat. I do eat a lot of spicey food and am now wondering if this is a good or bad thing for gut bacteria. I eat onions and peppers daily as I thought these were beneficial to our health. Still investigating food choices but generally pretty happy with diet. Don’t have much alcohol or processed food but I usually eat out once per week. Mainly my diet is fish and veg.

I know this will prompt Simcoeluv to state ‘weight loss is only about the calories consumed’ but I for one think there is more to this and that some foods burn more efficiently than others.

Have a great day everyone.

Hi jo,

I’m sure Simco won’t say that because that would be wrong, and he’s never wrong… πŸ™‚

There is an increasing amount of research into gut flora, and one of the keys seems to be diversity and balance. So eating a wide wide range of foods, with none being dominant.

Evening/Morning all,

I hope my gut flora are happy as I have just fed them some steamed brussel sprouts, carrots and sweet corn with a small serve of grilled lamb, followed by a bowl of fresh strawberries and kiwi fruit. I look forward to all this research becoming established knowledge, I think there is so much still to learn and its fascinating.

I enjoyed a lovely long swim this morning, it is such a luxury to be retired and please one self. I have found late morning is the best time, the pool is usually deserted and I can get chores done at home before I go. Then by the time I get home its almost time for the eating window to open. Just as well as the swimming makes me so hungry!

Jojo I saw some seriously obese young women at the supermarket this morning. Its scary that they are so big, when still so young. It makes me so sad as I know what a struggle they will have to ever shift all that weight. And if they don’t, their health is going to be seriously compromised, just like alcoholics. Australia is definitely getting fatter! We are fast catching up to our overseas cousins. The first time I visited the US (35yrs ago) I was surprised to see so many really obese people, until I saw the servings at the buffet brunches! But we have definitely caught up! I remember KFC first coming here when we were on our honeymoon in Sydney, 42 yrs ago. It was such a different world then, before the big chains arrived, the only takeaway was a rare treat. Shopping malls and their resident Food Halls just didnt exist. I was dieting then, but nowhere near the size of the youngsters I see now, who must have been raised on fast food. I am certain this is the underlying cause of a lot of the serious obesity. Oh dear, I do sound like an old fart!

Good afternoon all you lovely people . I seem to be looking at people more too and wishing I could tell them about 5.2 without coming over all ” look at me and what I have done” especially all the young ones who have so any years in front of them with ill health .
    Where is this summer? I am frozen and going to have to put on a fleece today again . I have so much been looking forward to wearing my new small size tops and feeling good and not self concious for a change .

I am off to visit Ross shortly . he finds it hard to fold his ironing with him having CP and I have offered to do it BUT he wants to me independent . I do like to help though as I am still his mammy πŸ™‚ .
    Don’t have Dad today but he was a wee bit brighter the other day and I managed to take him to visit Ross . he never sits down though and he goes all though Ross house ans switches everything off lol .

Take care everyone ..I love this group and all the encouragement xx

Wee xx

Afternoon all

It’s a lovely hot and sunny day here πŸ™‚
    I overslept yesterday and didn’t get to the gym but was out walking all afternoon so I went this morning and tried to push myself a bit, then relaxed with a nice swim followed by jacuzzi and sauna.
    I have been so happy with the time spent at the gym and with the benefit of hindsight wish I’d joined sooner. It has replaced other exercise but I am doing more in comparison. It has made no difference whatsoever to my weight loss but I feel great and always come out with a smile on my face.
    I have always been in the fasting for losing weight and exercising for toning and fitness camp and I agree wholeheartedly with Purple regarding using one’s new leaner body once there is less excess baggage putting a strain on our spines and joints.

Nama, it makes me very happy to read how much you enjoy swimming as I remember how dubious you were about exercising with your sore knees. It is great to try something and discover you can do it, you really like it, and you are happy because it is good for you πŸ˜›

Oh my goodness it is a struggle getting back on the bike! The cold does not help either but hoping that I will stick to the calorie count tomorrow. Work is so intense and I must admit I find it hard to log on and read posts but they are important so I will find a way. I am off to a meeting tomorrow and as it does not start until 9:30 I have an entire hour to myself. My intent is a walk or a walking DvD. Just putting that out there to commit. Can hear rain! This certainly is an arduous winter, best retire emel

You can do it Emel. Just make some time for yourself, you deserve it! And send some rain to Vic please..

I do remember you encouraging me Amazon and me stubbornly asserting how much I detested exercise! I still do (detest exercise) but luckily I remembered that I used to love the water and swimming has been brilliant. Some days I need to push myself (mostly because of all the related stuff like hair washing etc), but I always remind myself how much I enjoy it once I am in the pool. I find it very relaxing but its also easy to challenge myself by increasing laps etc. My knees are also brilliant! And losing 20kgs has made walking so much easier that I even enjoy a good long walk now. Not carrying that bag of cement around is so much easier. The yoga/pilates mat I bought is still in the boot of my car, maybe one day….

Some days I have to push myself to go to the gym but as soon as I walk in the door I’m raring to go because I know I’ll feel great afterwards. I am also enjoying the challenge of pushing myself further and achieving more. I need to find the same determination and application for the eating plan as I seem to have mislaid it……

Good Evening All,
    Ok so I did not avoid the buffet table at the Funeral after all. It was a very strange event in that we were all asked to sit a round tables of 8 people, collect food and eat together. I did use a template though. Sadly I also had the lemon sponge afterwards, it’s the one cake I cannot resist, it was moist and delicious, I am very, very full. Luckily no other food will be consumed today. I now need to record the calories, my guess 1000 ish.
    The ceremony was very nice, quite upbeat. His daughter made a very eloquent speech. 90 % of the guests were bowlers. I wore a black dress with white Daisy’s and a black jacket. My fellow bowlers all remarked that they were unaware that I had legs and I should show them off more often. I don’t think that will be happening, bowling skirts are disgusting things, I will stick to well cut trousers thanks. I do wear dresses for social events.
    Off to play cards tonight with two girlfriends, never a dull moment here. Tomorrow two games of bowls, I will turn into a bowling ball.
    Happy- yes the gut bacteria thing is about variety in our diets compared to historical food consumption. I for one love to eat as much variety of fish and veg I can get my hands on. Not keen to eat red meat though and only occasionally have chicken. Love Sushi.
    Nama- how many lengths are you doing now? I started with 15 and now do between 50 and 100 depending on how much time I have. I love to swim outdoors best.
    Amazon- what machines do you use at the gym?
    Emel- welcome back and good luck
    Weemam- Sorry about your bad weather, georgeous here today.

Hi Jojo,

Life gets in the way of fasting sometimes doesn’t it but it sounds to me that you either sat at a table surrounded by people eating or you joined in and I would have done the same as you.

I’m trying to do more work on the resistance machines to improve my muscle strength. I do an hour of cardio using the rowing machine, cross trainer and treadmill and then do some leg and bum work followed by upper arms and chest work. I’ve not used all of the available machines yet and am hoping to gradually incorporate them into my routine as my strength improves.
    After that I swim anything from 15-30 minutes. The deciding factor is how crowded the pool is. I don’t swim flat out but concentrate on stretching everything and relaxing after working out. I do what is classed as leisure swimming and it is faster than the majority of others in the pool πŸ˜†

Jojo – you certainly are active! I wish I had time for all that, hopefully when retirement comes around I will be slim and healthy and able to do all sorts! My copy of The Fast Diet book arrived today so I am going to engross myself in that ready for a fast day tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

Jo, the trick in that situation is to put only the lowest cal foods on your plate and don’t get up for more. Nibble slowly, talk a lot and drink masses of water. Being stuck at a table with a group to talk to is ideal. Just never get up for seconds. πŸ˜†

I know it has been discussed before, but I’ve forgotten. I think the pool you swim in is a 50 metre olympic pool, Nama? How long is yours Amazon and Jo? Most indoor pools are 25 metres or less here. I find the shorter ones much easier with more frequent turns. πŸ™‚ P

Hi all,

Jojo I am up to 40 laps now, which is a big improvement from when I started in Feb. I could barely get half way along a 50metre pool then, without stopping to gasp for air. Purple I moved from the public olympic sized pool in April to a private gym which has a 25m one, so the 40 laps is not as impressive! I am managing to go further and further without stopping for a break now and the breaks are much shorter, so my heart/lung function is improving. I go at a steady clip, though certainly not fast! In my eyes its nothing short of a miracle – next thing I will be walking on water!!

Jojo I am sure if you didn’t eat in the evening the funeral buffet didn’t do you any harm. Funny re dresses, I am quite short waisted with long legs and have always felt better in pants. But again, losing 20kg has made a huge difference and the dress I have found for my son’s wedding actually looks ok! Pins look much more respectable too! Even though I have lost significant weight several times in the last 20 years, I have always gotten stuck at least 10kg heavier than I am now, so I guess its not surprising that I am getting some nice surprises with clothes. Four more bags to the Opportunity Shop yesterday, hopefully someone will get some use out of my fat clothes!

I need to get busy, we are off for our four week road trip this Sunday, starting to get excited. Have a great day/evening everyone.

You’ve made such fabulous progress, Nama, I won’t be surprised when you hit the front page of The Age dancing on water πŸ˜‰

I hope you’ve packed some skinny jeans and short dresses for the trip. You need to flaunt those pins! Have a happy Wednesday. P

Thankyou Purple!! Not sure about short dresses – but skinny jeans yes plus some summer stuff as we are going a fair way North (Airlie Beach maybe, via Longreach. If we get sick of the red dust inland, we may pop across to the coast for a while). You have a great Wed too, try to behave!

Hello Fast Trackers
    Nicky Emel comespring and Aussie O in South Australia Nama & Keirra in Victoria Bay in ACT PVE in NSW WiWi in France & Barata in NZ and Jojo SAMM HappyNow Amazon Herm Lizzy Ply Tartan lass Smiffy Lor_PA CakeyWakey Sarah103 HealthCoachB and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) πŸ˜‰
    I have been reading up on my big book of SAMM lately and I shamelessly put this up as an example of some of the SAMM magic and intricate detail for the newbies and for us mature IF cool cats πŸ˜†
    The last ten weeks I saw a big improvement on the scale. What I changed was still on 4:3 but two of the fast days became tea fasting days, only sweeten with lemon and or stevia. But zero calories non the less.
    I’m now convinced that keeping it simple is the way to go, but when it’s time enjoy dinners and feasts , with family and friends I’ll just go with the flow and enjoy myself. However all other times I will have only 8400 calories a week. That’s 1200 x7. And since I only get 600 on the fast days . Leaves 7800 on 4 days a week.
    Still exercising in the morning as soon as possible to wake up my metabolism, and exercising also after the last meal of the day. I must share that this approach is very simple, nearly mindless. Im able to get to the 2,000 calorie mark each week. Easily every week having fourteen ten minute exercises sessions. This has my personal formula for 2lbs a week 1 1/4lb of calorie restriction, 3/4lb of exercise.all I have to do is keep on keepin on!
    When I reach goal I don’t want to thin without strength. So using the using the two week planned breaks to focus less on Cardio and more on weight lifting. I wish I had been doing this many years sooner.
    I find it weird that I can get all my lifting done in ten minutes . Still keeping the two a day sessions just like always. No break from the exercise , just a two week break from fasting. I do the 7 compound lifts after I wake up the strength train when I get off work. It’s just about at my limit . Very pleased with myself

Peace RT

Hi Nama

Have a lovely road trip. This is the right time to go North to the sun.

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

A few days away Nama blue skies and sunshine awesome probably inappropriate for me to make comment on the black bra and pink and white one from awhile ago πŸ˜‰
    and short skirts and skinny jeans i will just let slide through to the keeper
    being just a shy retiring country bumpikin and all..
    Anyhoo happy trails
    Enjoy making good memories
    RT

Thanks so much Bay and RT! Shy, retiring country bumpkin indeed – the worst type!
    Bay I hope your upcoming holiday is great too, hopefully you will see some sunshine as well.
    I just cant wait to get out of the traffic, Melbourne is as bad as Sydney used to be now! (of course Sydney is out of control now) Maybe we should all move to Adelaide..
    We love driving in the outback. We don’t go off-road as we don’t have a 4 wheel drive, but the highways up past Bourke are pretty quiet and the few people very friendly. Mainly just looking forward to some warmth on my bones and some blue skies. First stop is Bourke to enjoy a special show there called “Poetry on a Plate” There is a wonderful guy there who strums an acoustic guitar by firelight and recites (his own) bush poetry, while his wife feeds you a lovely hot dinner. Between the coolibahs, the crackling fire and the poetry, its a magical evening.
    Don’t worry I will still be popping in here wifi allowing….and we don’t leave till Sunday!

Mmmmm…that DOES sound magic. Can I join you?
    Smart people use public transport in places like Sydney, New York, Paris, London. Only a mug, or out of towner, would get in a car, Nama. πŸ˜†
    Just came home from the city on the train with the exPremier. He probably doesn’t even pay the $2.50 per day that I do πŸ˜‰ P

Of course you can Purple! Only 760 Km from Sydney to Bourke, you could easily manage that and be home for breakfast. Google Poetry on a Plate!
    Re transport in Sydney, last time we were there and staying near Macquarie Uni, we took the Rivercat ferry into town, it was beautiful. I was just using Sydney as a reference point for the worst traffic in Aus and stating that Melb is fast catching up!

Yep, but imagine peak hour at the back of Bourke? (for UK and US readers, it could also be called Never Never πŸ˜‰ )

Morning/evening all
    Another hot and sunny morning. So nice to be havong a decent summer πŸ™‚

The pool at the gym is 15m and I don’t count how many but look at the time when I get in and out. I don’t stop, just keep swimming until I’ve had enough.
    When I stayed with my friends in Perth for 5 weeks I swam 200 laps of their 9m pool first thing every morning which took an hour, and some days I did it again in the afternoon. It was wonderful as outdoor pools are few and far between here and invariably very cold. Of course I had it to myself which was a real luxury.

I’m off to the gym again this morning and it is a fast day.

Nama, your trip sounds wonderful. As for traffic you should try London. I go almost everywhere by public transport. I have a free pass which is fabulous. The car sits outside the house for weeks on end and then gets a trip to the supermarket or the recycling centre, although I’m going away in August to Herefordshire which borders Wales, so it’ll get some exercise πŸ˜‰

Have a good one everybody πŸ˜›

Good morning Nama,
    Well done you, 40 laps is a great achievement. I don’t stop my laps at all since I sorted underwater breathing out. When I first started swimming again I did breast stroke and all breathing above water. However with more laps you get neck ache and limited full body workout so I switched to alternate lengths crawl and breast stroke with goggles. I would love to use a snorkel but I don’t fancy looking like an idiot. So now I hold my breath as long as possible for the crawl, develops lung capacity, usually 3/4 length of 25 metre pool. For breast stroke I breath out underwater and come up every three strokes. Seems to give me a good physical work out. You can get a cold head when it’s chilly outside but body warm. I tried a hat, horrible thing. Swimming led me to doing other stuff at the gym. My first ballroom dancing class nearly killed me but I stuck at it, dripping with sweat, very attractive, now I rarely break a sweat, progress indeed. Step and power classes are still out of my league, I don’t want to feel the burn. Maybe when I get to goal?
    Have a great trip, I will be there in November and again in January, can’t wait. I hope you will be around?
    Hey is anyone coming this way, London or Kent? Love to meet up. Here till October.
    Amazon – what about you? It’s Folk Week from 8 th August, the town is great then, live music in every pub, not all Folk, some Rock, some Blues.
    Didn’t weigh in today but fasting. Felt very bloated from tea plate of buffet food. Liquid fast again today.
    RT- you are so right. Liquid only fasting is the only way to go. It’s foolproof and allows you to enjoy eating socially on other days. I love it and am losing weekly now.
    PVE- I had 5 items from buffet and no returns for more, not regretting the cake, delicious. Glad I didn’t plan on car hire in Sydney and Melbourne then, Shankseys pony for me(Irish terminology for walking- no idea why- not rhyming slang)
    Making a birthday cake for my brother in law today, he has requested a Victoria sponge with jam and cream. As he has lost 6 stone in the last two years he deserves it. He has done this without fasting just portion control. More than one way to skin a rabbit it seems.
    Have a great ‘Bump’ Day friends

Amazon our traffic wouldn’t be an issue if there was adequate public transport in Melbourne. I am out in the suburbs and between train lines, ie a 20 min drive to a railway station either way. A bus goes along nearest main road (15min walk) every 20 mins or so, or hourly on a Sunday. Not my idea of transport! Consequently most families have at least 2 cars, more if the kids are old enough to drive. So the roads even 40 mins from the city are choked! At least being retired means I go out between peaks….

Jojo I mainly swim the crawl (we call it freestyle) with my head well immersed and breathe the way I was taught, ie head to the side every 4 strokes, alternating sides. Its my aerobic capacity that is lacking, but at least I can see it improving every week. We will only be away 4 weeks, need to be back for my son’s wedding beginning of Oct, so of course we will catch up. Remember you were going to message me your itinerary to see if we could arrange an interstate meet up? With all your packing you have forgotten! Good luck with not eating the sponge – yum! Years ago at Weight Watchers I remember a woman saying that when she baked, she tied a scarf across her face (John Wayne style!), so she wouldn’t eat the batter etc. Thats an idea you could try!

Well done at that buffet, Jo. I am often disappointed in how little I eat on social occasions πŸ™
    I drove our rental car onto Manhatten! Learn to drive in Sydney, and you can drive anywhere. πŸ˜†
    Eating day between 2 fast days for us today. Delicious chicken, mushroom and leek casserole followed by stewed apple and creme fraiche. (Sorry anyone fasting). This is what 5:2 is all about isn’t it? P

Nama- melbourne 7 to 12 th November 5 nights and 1 full day on return to UK 6 th January. Need to track down what plans have been made while in Melbourne though.

Wow Jojo not long now until you’re going to be “down under” with us πŸ˜€ hoping that all we South Aussies will be able to make a time to catch up not only with you but with each other “in the flesh”.

Not having such a good week myself, going a bit backwards with the progress with my arm … physio (or torture chamber) was excruciatingly painful yesterday but that could also have been because I was in quite a bit of pain before I even got there. Not sure if it’s the weather or I did too much as I got a pinched muscle in my shoulder/neck while doing some of my exercises the day before and still unresolved when I got to physio (he had a good go at releasing the muscle/pain while I was there and although easier it’s still letting me know it’s still there LOL πŸ˜€ ).

Finally recharging my Fitbit as I’ll be starting to use it again tomorrow as I want to start recording my steps again at least as now I’m back at work I’m walking more all the time so hoping to get back to my 10 to 15k steps/day.

So lovely reading everyone’s posts, sorry for not responding all the time, I’ve tried a few times to post through my phone and tablet but many times I just lose everything so am waiting mainly until I’m on the laptop.

Hope everyone’s having a great hump day, happy fasting to those who are and happy non-FD to those who aren’t πŸ˜€

Afternoon all.

I got what I wished for. I swam for 30 minutes this morning after my workout and for 27 of them I had the pool to myself πŸ˜›

I’m always ravenous when I get back from the gym but I’m trying a fast today. I usually don’t have anything until dinner but I know I won’t be able to do that so I’ve just had a sachet of strawberry flavoured whey powder which I blended with some ice and almond milk. I bought a couple in H&Bs penny sale.
    If it keeps the hunger at bay until dinner I’ll buy a tub of it for gym days.

Jojo, I would love to come to Kent at some stage but I’m a busy bee at the moment. I am away next week, home for a week and then away again which is the week of the Folk Week. I might be going to Norfolk at the beginning of September and if I do I might take the scenic route back via your neck of the woods, but my niece’s baby is due at the end of August, and there are other things going on mid September that will keep me at home. If not there is always next spring πŸ™‚

Nama, I know that public transport isn’t as good for you. My friends in Perth and Adelaide were part time chauffeurs for their teenagers when I was there last year. Fortunately they are all driving now. We went into Perth by train and had to be driven to and from the station as there is no bus. It is the same here once you get out of any city. My friends in Herefordshire have the benefit of a bus once every hour until 6pm Mon-Fri.

AO, sorry to hear that you are in pain, I hope it passes soon and your arm continues to improve, and well done on getting back to using the fitbit.

I don’t have a problem with anyone talking about food when I’m fasting, and I have my stuffed peppers to look forward to for dinner.

Time for the ironing, I can’t put it off any longer πŸ™

The whey protein powder worked a treat in stopping any hunger pangs. I’ll try the chocolate flavour on Friday and decide which I like best.

Morning all,
    glorious sunny morning so we are off for a walk.
    Great re the whey powder Amazon, your muscles must have enjoyed the protein after the gym! Remember Weemam put up the recipe for pancakes made with whey powder, they sounded great. I haven’t made them yet as everytime I see the stuff its in a huge tub. Must look out a smaller container to try it.
    Husband champing at the bit, so bye for now!

Evening All,
    Really busy day, been out 14 hours with different activities organised, just fallen into bed after a quick cuppa. Fasting has been easy today but I am very hungry now, may eat an apple before bed. Roll on lunchtime tomorrow, huge salad prepared in the fridge.

There is so much to do when you move, not only physical work, all that address changing. So irritating.

I am also seeing plumbers who are quoting to replace the boiler in my flat, it is on its last legs and I prefer to get it sorted before I head off to NZ and Australia. I also need to replace a sink and radiator, it’s all go and expense.

I have taken a job for three weeks in August, cat sitting and feeding. Could be the beginning of a new career. I have always fancied house sitting around the world. Must be fun.

AO- keep up the Physio girl, you know it makes sense. What about swimming, it helped me post ankle surgery. I am still undergoing acupuncture, I think there is some improvement but the Physio wants me to get a back X-ray now. Never ending is it ?
    I met a 70 year old today who hasn’t seen a Doctor in 52 years, simply does not believe in them. They keep de-registering her. She said she has aches and pains but they are age related and normal. She certainly doesn’t want them to investigate her to discover anything which might involve surgery. Interesting philosophy- strictly no interference and awaiting her natural end. She has quite a healthy diet and active lifestyle though so she expects to do another 5 years minimum.

Nama- Respect – front crawl is the most physical swim technique apart from Butterfly. You must be very fit to sustain it. I find I swallow water with side breaths, never mastered technique.

Amazon- good to hear you are keeping busy. Let me know when you have some spare time next Spring( if I am not in the States visiting my son)

PVE- that meal sounded delicious- not sure my apple will hit the spot so well.

Night All

My turn now Jo. I’m carrying a couple of Tom Thumb tomatoes a lettuce leaf and 2 veg patties (50 cal total) in my bag to the city, just in case I weaken πŸ˜‰ P

The sun is out shining brightly we have blue skies above and I have nailed a 15000+ steps on my walk as a direct result of this beautiful spring like day and weather a zero calorie fast day for me today and all is right in the SE of South Australia I hope it is in your part of the world too We Love This Way Of Life
    Peace RT

Morning/evening all.

Well done on the walk RT, I’m going to attempt something similar myself.

Have a good day/evening everyone.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,851 through 10,900 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.