Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,401 through 10,450 (of 16,657 total)

• Hi Nama,

Re: your mandolin. It is becoming clear that the problem here is you and not the mandolin. So it would be harsh indeed to make the mandolin leave home. But you clearly need to work on your relationship before there is a total breakdown of trust or someone/ something gets seriously hurt. Interesting that now you have been encouraged to talk about it, it transpires that although initially the mandolin appeared to be the abuser, it is actually a victim of your abuse ๐Ÿ™‚ (Hope your finger’s healing, obviously!)

Re: danger times for eating. For me, it’s more daytime than evening, and particularly mid afternoon when I’m working at home. When I’m in the office I’m fine, I take a packed lunch and stick to it. And at weekends I’m busy so it’s rarely a problem. But 2 – 3 pm when I’m sat at my computer… home alone… I’m not sure what it is, but it can be easier to get up frequently and get a handful of almonds from the cupboard than it is to sit and concentrate…

Oh Happy, now you are taking the Mandolin’s side? I think you misunderstood me. I admit I am a dreadful klutz and probably put too much trust in my manual dexterity to work without using the pusher (thats what its called – could be a clue there to the gadgets intentions), but it really didn’t have to bite me so viciously! I have forgiven it, washed and dried it, put it gently in the cupboard – it won’t be homeless on my account. But I am disappointed to think you believe I am abusing it!

Thanks Nama
    I lost a kilo it seems, but mainly what I hadn’t lost during trips to Rome, Lisbon and the UK in the past month or so.

Maybe I should ask my doctor before doing it every two weeks
    , though I know he will agree.
    My BMI is now 30, so I am on the cusp of overweighT.Hopefully the distasteful five letter word beginning with O will disappear from the vocabulary

Can I suggest a new movie

Captain Nama’s Mandolin. Happy can play the part of the mandolin!

Oh Wiwi, I am laughing so much, plus I think I can hear the mandolin chuckling in the cupboard!
    Good idea to check with your doc… Love your work!

Careful Nama. Happy would make a wicked mandolin!
    Congratulations on the 5 day fast Wiwi. What a legend! I’ve squibbed doing it this week. Found too many reasons not to. I LOVE the image of you nibbling greens hungrily as you gardened! Fabulous!
    I’m off north for the week with the pussy cat (great company) but even the warmer weather there can’t convince me to do more than 6:1. I dips me lid to you!!! P ๐Ÿ™‚

Nama,

Your mandolin is probably quaking in fear as it cowers in the cupboard, listening to your footsteps in the kitchen, holding it’s breath when the footsteps stop, wondering if you’re outside it’s door and what unspeakable things you might try and make it do next… It didn’t want to bite you, but you were holding it down, it was weeping (tears of celery) and struggling to breath as you rammed a head of celery in it’s poor little mouth…

Wiwi, please don’t make me play the part of the mandolin!

Nama, Ouch ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Wiwi, amazing ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Barata ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Purple, have fun up the coast. ๐Ÿ˜†

Happy, hehe! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Its ok Happy, I just checked and the Mandolin is smiling, and says to please pass on its thanks to you for being the Mandolin Advocate for the Whole World! I know what your handle means now, both myself and the mandolin are feeling very happy since your intervention.

Wiwi,

Well done on the five day fast. Did you suffer any ill effects?

Simco posted a link on another thread to a YouTube clip which explains water fasting in detail…bad breath, body odour, exudate from mucous membranes, and basically that you pretty much need to do nothing while doing it except rest.

I wouldn’t be prepared to take a week’s leave and then ‘waste’ it doing nothing. Did normal life continue on FMD?

Good Morning All,
    I have done my Physio exercises for two days now and although painful they may be paying off. I slept last night through without a muscle relaxant pill, great, because I really hate relying on pills. I have my walk today then bowls match this afternoon. It was a good win yesterday 24/8 but we were plagued by thunder flies and it was very, very hot, no breeze.
    Tanga and Nama- I may try 5 day mimic fast from tomorrow, nothing to lose, only weight ha ha. Stuck fast still which is very frustrating. Let you know how it goes.

Sarah- you just record time and momentary scale reading. Don’t write much at all, keep it mainly numeric, hopefully a trend will develop.
    Example
    So Monday 1st July – 9.30 am 3( dog walking) 2.30 pm 4(gym or bowling), 8.30 pm 2 (watching TV whilst playing patience) I usually multi task whilst TV on.
    I think recording day and activity may help us to see links, I weight everyday at 8 am so I will include that too.
    Barata- what are Fiejos?
    Nama- I use my spiraliser ( much safer), never done celery in it though.
    Happy now- I am the queen of power tools, no stranger garden and indoors, no fear. However not sure Nama would have any fingers left if she has problems with manual blades. Metal glove protection sounds like a very good idea.
    Welcome Taity,
    Good Luck. I agree with Amazon, get the book, it has recipes too, you will need them. Plus record your calorie count on ‘my fitness pal’ works out all your calories and keep a record. Take measurements monthly and weight at least weekly on the same day. Don’t forget to post on here. We can offer advice and recommendations as we are very experienced Fasters. Most of us have lost three stone plus. I would also recommend cutting carbs to a minimum and drinking water( minimum of two litre per day) try zero noodles, low calorie and very filling- great in a stir fry with sweet chilli dressing. Get walking daily if possible for a minimum of 20 minutes.

Morning/evening all.

Another fine if slightly cloudy morning.
    Jojo, glas to hear you feel that the exercises are going to make a difference. I am considering a consultation with the physiotherapist at the gym, and I might investigate this week.

Nama, it isn’t you or the mandolin that is at fault but the food of the devil aka celery. Disgusting stuff……..

Glad you enjoyed my trip info. That was just the tip of the iceberg. I was surprised how much there was to see in such a small place, and we only went to a couple of galleries and museums as we didn’t want to spend all our time rushing around as we needed time for our favourite pastime, sitting outside in the sunshine with a drink watching the world go by. Bruges was great as there is the huge Markt square, numerous small ones, and numerous canalside cafรฉs, bars and restaurants.
    Of course that means I’ll have to return to Bruges at some point to see all that I missed and check out some more beers ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jojo
    Feijoas are the nectar of the Gods – a green egg size fruit which NZers would die for.

Sorry for the typo, Jojo. Feijoas are a South American fruit that grow well in the subtropics (and struggle here in Wellington). Lovely flavour, ripen in autumn when there’s not much else around, scrap the flesh out on my muesli for a lovely breakfast or boil them up for preserves when I get bags from son’s parents-in-laws. I grew up with a hedge of them, so have always had them around.

Hi all you lovely fasters. I’ve been away for a week only to come back and find a novella waiting for me, wow, so much has gone on!!! Wiwi, I am so longing to get out of the O zone, you are doing so brilliantly. Nama, I am never allowed near my mandolin, fingers seriously shredded the first time. It’s been locked in the cupboard ever since:-( Jojo, I’m so glad you are getting some good Physio, over the years I have found that a good Physio is a gift from the gods an inept one is a nightmare. You sound like you’ve found a good’un ๐Ÿ™‚
    Can I ask some advice, you’ve probably covered this but we are on over 10,000 posts so thought I’d ask instead. What’s best for the morning after a fast. I find I can sometimes get an upset tummy, or eat too much and I can feel really out of control. I have tried protein and veggies but I now wonder if I should have something like porridge? I only have fruit and veg and simple proteins fast days. That works well but I’ve got to get my non fast days to be more settled. That would help me I think. Anyway, suggestions great fully received.
    I have now lost 7 lbs since i started and am very pleased. But still cannot really believe it or feel in any way secure with it. That will come I hope. Thanks for all the inspiration, and of course the Amazon Guide to Bruges, invaluable ๐Ÿ™‚

Good morning all, well tomorrow I’ll find out how well (or otherwise) my arm has been healing (fingers etc crossed all is well). Still loads of pain but trying to cut down on pain relief particularly on weekends and thankfully am down to 3 per day now but occasionally it’s not enough but try to muddle through when I can.

Wow stories of the mandolin roll through here, loved the saga ๐Ÿ™‚

Very cold here on the plains, currently risen to 4oC (for me anything under 20oC is cold, under 15 is FREEZING) and the cold really affects pain levels for some reason or the other.

Have picked up my paints and brushes for the first time in 8 or 9 years (since my dad died) and have commenced a painting, could only work on it for about 30 minutes but got 2/3 of initial layout in place, is turning out better than I expected.

Will maybe post on the FB section if it turns out okay.

Just glad I can get to my laptop in the mornings a little easier now (little puppy put paid to easy access as we needed to “block” her off from areas ๐Ÿ™‚ but so worth it as she’s a little darling).

Have to run for now as need to finish getting ready for work and put sling back on (took off for this post).

Oh, not worrying about weight too much while on the tablets, still being careful of consumption though!

Tessy, just saw your post, for me I find that it’s best not to start eating until early afternoon after a FD as once I start eating I feel hungrier throughout the day. Might be this way for you too. But if I DO have something porridge would be my first choice.

Tessy,
    I agree, the later you consume the easier fasting will be. I think Michael M started with a boiled egg. I don’t eat until 1 pm now on Fast and non Fast Days, it’s my way of life now. I never thought I would be able to give up breakfast but now I don’t even think about it.

Lost at bowls today but not ashamed I played very well. Also I met a really nice lady who is game to come out to play and made a new contractor contact, a carpenter. May be useful.

Feeling very tired so calling it a day. I may need to help my daughter at her school tomorrow, they are very short staffed.

Hi Everyone,
    I have a mandolin and love it, until now, I am now a little scared to use it.

I use to eat at 7:00am, I feel much better eating after 10:30am or even waiting until 12:00 now. I am an early riser of 4:30am so I take that in consideration.

Jo-jo I am going to start my journal tomorrow. Thank you for the information.
    good night all.

Sarah,
    I will start my journal today too, it might be interesting this week as starting 5 day mimic fast.

Luckily I have a busy 7 days planned. I will be looking after 22 underprivedged 4 year olds today, teaching them to do papier mรขchรฉ, should be fun and very messy.

Need to get the dogs out before I go so chat later.

Have a great day everyone.

Morning/evening all

Another beautiful morning with 24ยฐC foreast which is hot for us NHers!

Wimbledon starts today ๐Ÿ˜›

I’m off to the gym this morning for the first time in two weeks. I’m really looking forward to getting back into my routine and hoping I don’t fond it too hard after my break.

Have a great day/evening everyone.

Tessy, I am always surprised that I’m not desperate the morning after a fast. I wait as long as possible (always a good thing to eat less). I have found it better to avoid starchy carbs so I never have bread to break a fast. Egg, mushrooms, tomatoes etc seem good. Or fruit and yoghurt.
    Just completed a 24 hour fast with a corn cob and very spicy homemade veg soup. Nice and warming for our southern winter. Saving all my meagre calories for the evening meal allows me to sleep on fast nights.
    It really is all experimenting to find what works for you, and the season. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Amazon, my daughter is keen to go to Wimbledon. Any hints on getting tickets? P

Purple,
    I’ll send you an email regarding Wimbledon tickets.

Just home from the gym for the first time in two weeks. It went well and I’m pleased that I was able to do my usual workout. I didn’t swim as the pool was crowded and I didn’t want to hang around when there is tennis to watch!

I’m never particulaarly hungry after a fast day and don’t eat until lunchtime. If it is a gym day I’ll have granola with fruit and yohurt after my workout, and on other days will have a bacon or egg sandwich, omelette or a salad.
    Today I’ve had fresh peach, apricot and strawberries with my granola and yoghurt which was delicious and very filling.

Hi all,

In bed early tonight with iPad, tired out from a very busy fast day… used Bay’s trick and got lots of housework done plus huge pot of veggie soup made. (I used the food processor even though its electric with sharp blades!). I am trying something new to attempt to kickstart the losses again. I decided the five day (Mimicking) fast was a bit hard for me, so am doing my usual 4:3 but without any food at all on fast days. So far (10pm) I have only had coffee (with milk) plus lots of water with lemon in it and I feel fine. It has actually been easier not to eat at all, didn’t have to think about food all day. Husband got leftover casserole! I will reassess at the end of the week.

Great to hear of your progress AO, I hope your report was good today. I laughed when I read that you couldn’t get to computer because of a puppy barrier – now thats an animal lover! Wondering if the rest of SA has fallen off the world, either that or Nicky and RT are having a long lunch together somewhere!

Great that you slipped easily back into your gym routine Amazon, hopefully you wont be sore tomorrow. Why do you despise celery so much? I agree its not a food to love, but its a great filler in soups and stews. And I read once that it takes more calories to digest it (high fibre) than it actually contains, that has to be a plus! I can even eat it raw, very handy when the munchies strike!

Jojo I hope your day with the 4 yr olds was fun and that your hair isn’t full of paper mache! Hopefully you got another good sleep too. I think stretching should be a great help to counteract pain from spasming muscles. I used to nurse teenagers that had had major surgery for scoliosis of their spines and the first few days when they could only be rolled from side to side in bed, they often suffered badly from muscle spasm which was a reaction to the surgery. We often resorted to valium to relax their muscles as well as painkillers. Once they got out of bed and moved it improved.

Time to stop rambling now, as dear SAMM would say! Night all ….

It’s simple Nama, I hate celery. It doesn’t bother me if it has been used to flavour stock but the texture and taste when raw makes me shudder and feel sick, and I had a very bad experience with braised celery when I was in my twenties and I can’t bring myself to eat it.

“a very bad experience with braised celery…” The mind boggles!

I threw up immediately after eating it, and such was the terror instilled by my friend’s granny (we had driven to Glasgow and were staying the night and I hadn’t met her before )that I couldn’t bring myself to tell her as she was already extremely put out that I had left the table before dinner was over. I was then presented with dessert and had no choice but to eat it.

Thanks Amazon. Enjoy the tennis. P ๐Ÿ™‚

Sorry to hear about all your continued issues with the arm AO. The cold won’t be helping the healing either. At least we are on the downhill slope to spring!

Yes Nama. It IS fascinating how much easier it is to eat nothing than to stop at a little. And supposedly better for you too. Had an excellent proper 24 hour fast with corn and soup before bed and slept like a log with the waves crashing and the cat purring! Have a good one everybody. P

Definitely easier not to eat at all. I’m thinking of trying a liquid only FD tomorrow. It is going to be very hot so that will make it easier. If I can’t I’ll try to get by with a slice or two of chilled melon.

I hear celery is very low cal too! ๐Ÿ˜‰ P

I have no wish to spend the day puking thanks……

Thanks everyone, I haven’t been posting much because I wasn’t in the right head space either (apart from blocking puppy and therefore me from an area ) I don’t mean to be whinging about the darn arm but last night got to bed just before midnight but the pain had me awake by 3.30 and up by 4am. That’s after taking the slow release pain medication around 11pm.

I’m really wanting to start losing again but as long as I’m not really gaining I can’t complain.

The one place I wanted to go to when I was in Europe last was Bruge but didn’t get there as the rellies kept us too busy in Holland (which was also lots of fun).

If I’m remembering right RT was due to start working a different shift yesterday so may be posting at other times to his usual pattern.

I’d love to be making one of my favourite soups but can’t without lots of help. Also would like to have a food free day but can’t just yet. I must admit I can’t abide celery either except when making a stock in my thermomix as it’s totally unable to be tasted or have any texture felt but I also only use a tiny bit and the chooks will get the rest now ๐Ÿ™‚

Sorry for the long post ๐Ÿ™‚

Effective though. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Mr P has the same experience with watermelon from childhood. He’s terrified of it…along with most greens, tomatoes, etc. Amazing how instilled childhood experience is. He will eat a variety of veg now as long as it is presented in novel ways. Not the way his mum did! P

Good to hear you AO. Awfully early for you though! Go back to sleep for a while.
    You can buy some really good low cal soups these days…avoid the ones with pasta or rice. Just staying steady is something to be proud of, considering a broken arm and winter.Well done. Warm hugs from me. X

Hi PVE, yes very early for me and after taking more pain medication it’s finally bearable so will probably doze in the chair for a while. Have an early appointment this morning with the ortho surgeon so can’t doze too long. There are only a couple of commercially made soups that I can eat which is why I prefer to make my own (some veggies which make me throw up so I understand tge situation for other people when they cant eat certain foods). Hoping I’ll be allowed to drive again and be sling free after the appointment today.

AO,

No need to apologize for whinging! Your cyber friends aren’t only here for the good times you know! I hope things start to improve soon, it’s been miserable for you.

Amazon,

Thanks for sharing your celery horror story. Think ‘Captain Nama’s Mandolin’ could be turning into a proper horror story. We’ve now got sliced flesh, blood and vomit ๐Ÿ™‚

Well I’ve just completed a rare fast day, and surprisingly easy! Yay me ๐Ÿ™‚ I definitely need occasional fast days to control portion sizes and put a break on carb and sugar cravings.

When I was in Bruges I ordered mussels and there were chunks of celery in the broth, so I picked every piece out and put it with the shells ๐Ÿ˜†

AO, you’ve had a really rough time and hopefully the arm is mending. If you aren’t gaining that is a great achievement. I know if I were in your situation I would struggle not to gain weight.

Farewell Leyton ๐Ÿ™

Hi Efficient Fat Burners
    Nicky Emel comespring and Aussie O in South Australia Nama & Keirra in Victoria Bay in ACT PVE in NSW WiWi in France & Barata in NZ and Jojo SAMM HappyNow Amazon Herm Lizzy Ply Tartan lass Smiffy Lor_PA CakeyWakey Sarah103 HealthCoachB and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Hi AO yes you are spot on afternoon shift now and new routine to get my head around glad to hear from you I absolutely agree re the winter temperature scale you have submitted. Nama I see another film ready for the cutting floor a guy meets up with a casual female acquaintance with friendship born out of a common goal on an internet chat forum hmm what could possibly go wrong here ๐Ÿ™„
    Very confident y-fee will not be quite as understanding however ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
    I was most amused at the commentary by journalist Victoria Lambert outlining the FMD Fast Mimicking Diet Prof Valter Longo But the 47-year old Professor appears to be part Italian midfielder, part Bambi; all in all a rather marvellous walking advertisement for the FMD.

Have a groovy Tuesday everyone

โ€œIt is easier to avoid eating than to stop eating once startedโ€
    Peace RT

RT I wasnt talking about THAT sort of long lunch!!!!

Morning/evening all.

Another fine morning, cler blue sky amd sunshine, perfect for Wimbledon ๐Ÿ™‚

FD today, and I’m going to try liquid only ie tea, coffee and water. I only need to keep myself busy until 11:30am when the tenns starts, so it shouldn’t be too difficult……….

Have a great day/evening everyone.

Good luck with the liquid fast Amazon. Fasting is certainly much easier when it’s warm, so it should be a doddle ๐Ÿ™‚ Sounds like a good idea too as I guess you may be a bit less active between 12-8 for the next couple of weeks…? Although you umight expend some nervous energy… Isn’t Murray on later today?

I’m working, and will be trying to avoid the temptation to have the telly on in the background!

Hi all,

Amazon I hope it wasn’t just beginners luck, but I actually found it easier yesterday to not have any food at all. I had several coffees and lots of water with lemon slices and felt less hungry than ever! (mind games?) The scales showed a whopping 1.7kg down this morning from yesterday morning!! I know of course that that is not actual fat lost, but its encouraging. I usually only go down 1 kg at best after a fast day. It will bounce up again of course, but I am hoping for an overall nett loss if I do these fasts 4:3
    I hope you are enjoying Wimbledon, you are lucky you can watch it real time.

Well done on the ‘real’ fast Happy, good to know you had not lost the skill! Hope you didnt lose too much weight. Not sure how to incorporate celery into a horror story, maybe if they were Triffid Celery plants?

Well done Nama and all the best Amazon. It is DEFINITELY easier to eat nothing. I did a good 24 hour total fast and very small dinner (soup and corn) yesterday. Today I have eaten very little and not hungry. Real fasts are very effective portion resetters. 6 of us on the Maintenance thread had a pact to do a proper fast yesterday. Easy peasy. Nice to know we can still do it ๐Ÿ˜‰ Keep it up gang. It works! P

I wish I had tried this earlier Purple! I got a lot done yesterday then had a hot shower before bed and slept well. Way to go!

Hi Nama,

I’m 1.3kg down on yesterday morning, a lot of water from my weekend carbs I know, but if I can consolidate perhaps a 0.5kg loss I’ll be happy.

I was bobbing at top end of my maintenance range, and just peeping over, so a bit of discipline was definitely required!

I did eat yesterday, but if OH had been away and I wasn’t cooking for him I think I could have fasted right through to today. Funny, you just need your head in the right place!

Life gets in the way sometimes and I’ve been struggling for the past couple of months. I need to get back to losing weight every week and I am determined that over the next two weeks I am going to have six FDs and a couple of 1000 calorie days. I’m visiting a friend in August so I have a deadline and I’ve set myself a goal weight to reach by then.

Like most of us I’ve been on every diet there is including Cambridge and a juicing diet so I know I can cope with one day without food.
    I am very pleased with how little I ate when I was away last week compared to how things used to be, every holiday was a non-stop grazing event only interrupted in order to sit and eat a meal!
    I agree that it is mind over matter, and that is what is so wonderful about 5:2, yes we need to exercise willpower in order to succeed, but it is empowering in that it enables us to gain control over our eating and reform bad habits.

Good morning All,
    Well the thread is busy since yesterday. I agree with a Amazon, not a celery lover, low low calorie or not. Just about edible with cream cheese but that avenue of pleasure is denied me.
    Would you believe that I am still in bed. Yes another miserable night, result overslept and my bowls practise missed which is a shame as I really enjoy it.

I had an upbeat day yesterday as busy but feel low and disappointed with my energy level today suspect carb effect, just not used to it anymore. Also too many painkillers of course.

AO pain at night and lack of sleep is a combination that saps your strength. I am not sure I will cope with day 2 FMD. Just want to curl up with pain relief and a hot water bottle watching the tennis. I am proud that I resisted 4 offers of biscuits and cakes yesterday. I casually replied ‘No thanks I don’t eat anything that has refined sugar in it’, then I remembered last night that brown bread has sugar, how could I forget? Idiot! Just to add another negative, still stuck on the scales, nearly at the point if throwing them out of the window.

Obviously going back to my badminton class after two month break after a busy morning teaching, afternoon playing bowls and painting garden furniture was not a great idea.

I found the FMD quite hard because it advocates eating breakfast which then led me to wanting to eat all day. I don’t think having bread in the house is going to work either, it’s my nemesis. Having a loaf of bread in the house after so long, it just played on my mind everytime I entered the kitchen, I know I can’t limit it. I have put it in the freezer now and don’t plan to remove it unless guests are here.

More painting today, actually varnishing what I painted yesterday, madness but I love a gloss finish. Sun is shining so I will make the most of it.

I prefer homemade soup too, especially chicken broth, skin removed before cooking of course. It’s so filling and supposedly healthy. Also add garlic and chilli, great combination. Potato and leek, sweet potato, squash or mixed veg are also great stand bys when you need a quick meal.

Time to get moving, dogs to walk.

Good Luck Fast Trackers, well done on the fluid only day, sounds like a plan.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,401 through 10,450 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.