Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,551 through 7,600 (of 16,657 total)

• RT,
    I think I’m correct in saying that apart from SAMM, you are the only person on here who has school age children, which is probably why you don’t go out for dinner as often as the rest of us. And of course you get up in the middle of the night to start work at some ungodly hour 😉

I’ve been to the theatre to see the Carole King musical which was fabulous. The cast got a standing ovation at the end. We then went to a North African restaurant (one of my favourite places) for dinner. Just a few olives with our drinks followed by lamb tagine, which was delicious. It was perfect food for a cold night. Tomorrow will be a FD, and it is the reason why I decided not to have one of their pastries filled with nuts and dried fruit and drizzled with honey as I know I would be wanting to eat by 10am tomorrow.
    I’m having an eye test first thing so am preparing myself for the thought of spending a small fortune on new glasses, then it is off to the gym to work off the tagine and the cider and food from the previous night out.

Hi Brads,

I’ve been to the Etihad, watched rugby sevens there at the commonwealth games. Weather wasn’t brilliant…! But it was good to see the haka in the flesh, albeit with a reduced squad.

I’ve been to Old Trafford to watch cricket but it’s a bit of a trek for us, so only an occasional treat. There was a lot of sitting around quaffing and entertaining ourselves in the crowd, but a good day out!

The lamb tagine sounds wonderful, Amazon. I must get some lamb and make one.
    I really only took up drinking wine regularly, and eating out, once the kids had grown up. Too poor and always had to be sober to ferry them around. Probably kept the weight down for years! 😉 P

Do you live in Lancashire? Think it’s going to freeze tonight only 3c now at 22:15,brrrr

Hi Brads,

I’m just over the border in Cumbria. It’s not warm! But then we’re a hardier bunch than our southern hemispherite friends… 🙂

Amazon,

I agree with P re: the tagine. My food preferences are mostly very un-English now. Sadly my OH doesn’t like anything sweet in his savoury dishes (and that even extends to nuts!).. 🙁

I went to watch Workington Comets speedway a few years ago, nice up there.

You’ll be right Happy…another jumper, thick socks, extra doona. And chop some more wood?
    Keep warm folks 😉 P

Good evening all,

Happy Now – Just about to hit the sack. Some of us UK southerners live on the coast, literally. I assure you we are not that soft about weather. I go out daily no matter what the elements throw at me. I am sure that living in high temperatures has it’s own challenges. I must admit that I would kill for a week in the sunshine at the moment as I am very fed up with wearing layers of clothes.

RT – you are right, I certainly go out for far too many meals out. It seems to be the most popular past time amongst my friends. I am refusing invitations in favour of cooking and eating at home. Of course you need to remember that many of the posters on this thread are retired and enjoy a lot of leisure time. When I was bringing up my children I was lucky to go out once per month and then it was probably just for a coffee or possibly to the cinema.

Another good day- looking forward to weigh in tomorrow.

PVE and HappyNow – great to know that you are both able to talk yourselves out of temptation. I am usually quite good in food shops. I am working on resisting biscuits, sausage rolls and cakes at bowls – I take fruit with me. I find tea breaks in general to be associated with temptation due to a lifetime of being offered biscuits on these occasions.

Juswakenup.

RT , it was easy for me to try this that and everything else, but had to vigilant in keeping notes.

The issue if I can wrap my head around it , if I can fit all those health benefits into a menu.
    Then I have to enjoy the menu, or I won’t stick to it. I came across more info about needing to be satisfied with the amount of calories I’ll be consuming at goal weight! Pondering that. There are days when I fail at at the 600 mark. Rather than just graze or binge. I put in a back up menu to keep in stock in the cupboard of the foods Ill be eating on maintenance and eat between the 1200 and 1500 mark well sighing TDEE and call it good.

Another angle was keep the cancer foods readily available. So if I do graze or binge , which unfortunately is my past behaviors, I graze or binge on anti cancer foods is my plan. Not2be abuzzkill, but my understanding is if ignore sudden death, and avoid all accidental and preventable deat, and age related diseases and live tobe 122 years old . Cancer will be the cause. My understanding is there is only so many times our human DNA can duplicate itself before the errors are too numerous. Those errors become cancer so 122 years is the limit of human lifespan. I’m pondering that in my longevity approach. I mean to say pondering what to keep in the menus. Besides the cancer fighters that actually help eliminate cancer I was missing some info at the root level. What foods do I need 2b eating so that that nomad cell division and replication occur in the best dietary environment. Happy say there are foods that are helping the body at the cellular level replicate DNA best. So I put those on the menu. And readily available to graze on if I fail at a fast day.
    FURTHER, of course I want to lose weight , specifically the visceral fat around my organs. Fasting is my new lifestyle and after two years have had the novelty of become less interesting than in the beginning . That’s why so important for me to stay vigilant. Stay focussed and keep on keepin on. Beyond weight loss fasting leads to the human body environment for DNA repair ” mode. Reading on the subject of igf1 And how it relates to the DNA REPAIR MODE is complex reading. However what I’ve settled on menu wise is 27hours of tea fasting. Also making plans in the near future to make 96 hour fasts 4 times a year after my personal doable schedule of 4 planned breaks per year. But also cleansing my liver and gallbladder twice a year as the detox regimen. Other things too, but for the most part when I look beyond the fat loss angle what I want to be doing is keepin the food consumption When not fasting in the beneficial range. Not so much focus on just filling up the belly. Rather to focus on nurishment. Finding synergies that add up to better uptake of nutrition than single whole foods and even more Info on foods that cancel out uptake of key nutrients. this is in the forefront of what I’m reading about these days.
    Specifically the intestines. We all are very familiar with our outside skin barrier that protects us from the environment. However very few peoples get focused on the barrier that starts in the mouth and ends where the sun don’t shine. The intestines have more surface area than our outside skin , many many times more surface. The thing to be keen on is realizing that it is the intestinal barrier that comes in contact with tons and tons of matter and particles from the outside environment and it has the task of letting in nutrition, but also keeping out what harms us. So that’s the double edge of being vigilant.
    Put in the stuff that gets absorbed and helps us on the cellular level to duplicate our DNA well. And then fast to help the body discover and repair what did not duplicate well.
    To me me these seemed complicated at first because I was so hooked on fast and processed foods. However the invitation to 5:2 and looking into doable has lead me to 4:3 but also 19/5 I take window.

Fasting 4:3 but on feed days focussing on my intestinal immunes system . Rather than grazing giving the intestinal tract time not just to do it’s job , but a break from more and more and more of the outside environment to defend itself from.
    Maybe I’m over thinking it . Or perhaps not articulating as well as trained medical experts. However it comes down to only 20 minutes a day of actual fork, spoon, and knife time. I personally eliminated the shopping time by ordering online and delivery to my door. So copying and pasting from Internet device makes my shopping extremely effective getting what I want, only what I want, and when I want it. Eating from a carefully considered menu a opposed to buying on impulse as I used to walk through every aisle of markets. Nothing wrong with that, just that I seem to have much more control and much more time to ensure the menu is both beneficially healthy and tasty also.
    I apologize for not pointing to the foods by name. I will share and have shared my lists, but wanted to be more focussed on the reasons why instead of being side trekked by the flavors and preferences.

I will say that recently I have been eating 7 walnuts every other day for omega 3 , understanding that more than 7 doesn’t add more benefit. The US FDA recommends up to 3 g of omega-3s per day, which is easily attainable with nuts.

Walnuts
    Walnuts have more omega-3 than any other nut. Just 1/4 cup of walnuts provides 2.5 g of the essential fatty acid. Walnuts also offer other health protective benefits. In a study published in the August 2009 issue of the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, subjects that added walnuts to their 2000 calorie per day diet experienced weight loss, as well as a drop in blood sugar levels. Along with omega-3 fatty acids, walnuts contain ellagic acid. Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center reports that ellagic acid contains antiviral and antibiotic properties and is now found to have anticancer properties as well.

Something else I consider . I’m diabetic. Looking into diabetic statistics. I discover a high amount of cancer related deaths by diabetics. And the simp,set explanation I could find for it is the elevated amounts of blood sugars so readily available for any cancers that do exist to be nourished by readily available high amounts of sugars. Not only that, looking into differences in sugars. Some types of sugars IMO accelerate the aging effects in the brain. Is why I’ve taken the approach to also put brain health from foods as another cornerstone in my menu . Gluten free means less inflammation in the hippocampus , and omega 3 mimics the effect of exercise in the hippocampus . It all sort of fits in the doable 4:3 menu.
    Where on feed days I eat the walnuts due to their high calories, but on fast days I exercise , doing the jumprope HIIT. I point to that because my notes . I typically lose weight of at least 1 lb every week when doing the omega3 and exercise on 4:3 . When I moved to two 27 hours fasts And one 600 calorie semi fast with exercise and TDEE on feed days Ive started losing 2lbs. Weekly.

Hi Samm,

Well done. We have travelled this path together for almost one year, both with 100 pound loss goals and both 60 lbs down (through fasting) I think. When I reach goal in July I will have lost almost 8 stone(112 lbs), mostly through fasting but some through healthy eating before I started fasting. I add this summary for newbies to this thread and to encourage any lurking readers to join us. We are a positive and successful group of individuals from all around the world who are succeeding and learning more about our own health. We support each other and share tips, recipes, ideas and gossip. It would be dull if we just talked about diet so we share life experiences too. You can post as often as you want, there are no demands or cliques. Some pop in every few weeks others post daily. Some of us have even met up which has been great.

I too am losing 2-3 lbs per week now I have dealt with emotional and social eating habits. As you know I have eaten healthy foods, mostly vegetarian( soup, salad, stir fry and curried)but including fish and eggs(occasional foray into the meat eating world). I like spicy food and in particular Japanese food. I hope to switch to eating more raw food in future.

During the last year I have all but given up processed food, including bread and there is very little sugar in my diet except fruit, mostly apples, oranges and blueberries.
    I also eat almonds, Brazil nuts and walnuts on feed days in limited quantities.I stopped drinking alcohol for one year and now tend to avoid it, I have an occasional gin and tonic when I can spare the calories and its a special occasion.

I think changing to 19/5 every day has been my most successful strategy so far. I eat between 1 pm and 6 pm most days. If out to dinner I usually skip lunch. I make my own soup weekly which is my meal replacement and is vegetable based although I did include chicken when I was poorly. I usually add chilli and garlic to soup, stir fry and poached fish. I try to buy only fresh fish, luckily I live by the sea and can get this easily. I have just invested in a fish poacher – save me frying it all the time.

Like you I do lots of exercise and walking. I ignore any weight loss associated with this, it’s purely for toning and well being. I am not at all convinced about exercise and weight loss links. In my own experience it has made no difference, in fact I have noticed more loss when inactive. We are all different but I think my body holds on to calories to provide energy when exercising a lot.

My demon is yoyo weight gain during breaks from fasting, I gain on average one pound per day when eating three meals per day, even healthy meals such as porridge for breakfast, sandwich or salad for lunch and fish and veg including potato for tea. As a result I know that this lifestyle is no longer an option. I must maintain calorie level to below 1200 cals per day for good. This problem is my main reason for focussing upon the ‘mind over matter’ approach to my diet and lifestyle changes.

Jojo and SAMM, thankyou both for sharing these last two great posts. I think if Michael Mosely was to read them he would be delighted to see how you have both taken his principles and expanded and improved them to fit with your respective needs and lifestyles.

I am a bit cross with myself at present, not for food reasons but because I sliced my finger badly last night when I got overexcited with my new kitchen Mandolin! Nearly took the top off and nearly had to resuscitate husband as he doesnt cope with blood. Move over Purple, I am the thread klutz! Just frustrating keeping it dry and didnt swim today as its really deep and I dont want it getting infected. Its held together with steri strips, probably needed stitches but as I have said, Nurses dont like being on the other side of things!
    The tool works brilliantly but I might be safer with a chainsaw!

Glad you are making the Orange Almond cake again RT, if there is any left it freezes really well too. Your grandson has good tastebuds like his Pa! A good friend used to bring it to work regularly and we would eat it at 4am on night shift if all the patients were behaving. She always put thick lemon icing on it too!

Glad your Carole King musical was such a success Amazon. We still have her Tapestry Album (vinyl) but as Nicky found, an effort to crank up the turntable! I heard a funny comment on the radio this afternoon, referring to the Stones being around so long they are their own tribute band!

Have a lovely weekend all,
    Cheers X

The best part of the day, home time

I hope the throbbing stops soon Nama. Really nasty for you. I’ve solved the problem by getting Mr P to do the mandolining (?) while I make the rest of the dish. He seems a lot safer with sharp tools.
    Have a good Friday/weekend fts. P 🙂

Thanks Purple, good suggestion. Though he is not one for cooking at all, mmm… this could be a sneaky way to get him involved!

Nama just ask him to help you while your finger heals (and then slowly forget that part and let him continue 😀 )

That’s how you do it Nama 😉 Make sure you praise him. P

It will take all my patience, he is super thorough and slow, every slice will be measured with a ruler – typical engineer!

You’ve met Mr P, have you? I have learnt to get him to prepare carrots a good half hour before I need them. They are the most uniform pieces you’ve ever seen. I walk away and do something else! P

your teaching skills are showing!

😆

You are offering me inspiration as to how to get OH into the kitchen. I think the walking away part would be the most important, P!

Morning/evening all.
    It’s a cold and frosty one here, but with a blue sky and sunshine 🙂

I thought about a mandolin but after taking into consideration the number of times I’ve cut myself with one of my kitchen knives, decided that I wasn’t really into DIY amputation so I bought a julienner instead which is sharp but safe 😉

Have a good weekend everyone.

You are a wize woman Amazon, I am scared of mine already! I should have remembered all my previous cuts both in the kitchen and the garden! I have sliced myself with secateurs many times, even put a gardening fork through a finger once. I was consoling myself with the fact that this was at least a clean tool last night and I didnt need to do the usual calculation re last tetanus booster!

Good morning Fast Trackers,

Another half a pound down today and at my lowest since last October, counting down to the stone, should get there by next weekend with luck and determination. Now I must think of a good way to celebrate this next stone because it has been the worst one yet. Obviously not food related. Any ideas? Maybe that Carol King musical? Sounded good Amazon. Hey guys – anyone fancy a night at the theatre plus a visit to the Shard?

Nama- your injury sounds horrible, I am such a wimp about cuts, work hard to avoid them.

Tip for using a mandolin or grater without losing digits

This may sound ridiculous but I use thimbles (plastic or metal will do) even a rubber glove will save the first layer of skin.
    These days I use my spiraiser, much safer and more fun.

Murder mystery evening tonight, I wonder if it will be Nama in the kitchen with the mandolin?

Sadly it’s also a fish and chip supper, I won’t eat the batter and I will restrict the chips to 10. Salad or soup for lunch today. I also have swimming, yoga and bowls after dog walk. Thank goodness the sun is shining.

Morning!
    Amazon I have put my Facebook name on my profile as suggested.

I have bought a spiralizer which works very well. Love the courgetti you can make with it, and it can also be used as a mandolin. Like you I am good at cutting myself on sharp implements so was a bit scared of trying a normal one , the vegetables you are cutting are held in the machine.
    WN.

Thimbles are a great idea Jojo. I have my grandma’s lovely old thimbles. Well done on achieving the Oct level!!! Can you avoid fish and chips until July? So much easier if it’s just not on your plate. P

Jojo you have me laughing so hard at the thought of a “Mandolin Murder” – Death by 1000 cuts?! Actually the thimbles sound like lateral thinking, but I would need 10. Would I still be able to use my hands? Maybe I should try to find one of those chain metal gloves the butchers use!

Hi Nama,
    Seriously Nama you only need thimbles on the middle fingers on your dominant hand surely?
    What can you possibly be doing to endanger all 10 fingers, surely one hand must be on the knife handle?

Can’t avoid fish and chips, it’s the only choice tonight at the Charity event. Never buy it myself, prefer steamed fish without batter. Just bought a whole rainbow trout just now as guests here tomorrow, can’t wait to try my new fish kettle.

Dog walk was lovely, cold but bright, now they are settling in for a nice sleep while I head off to the gym.

Speak tomorrow, hopefully another half pound gone!

Jojo, I thought you were telling Nama it didn’t matter if she chopped off all the fingers, except the middle fingers on the dominant hand!!!! 😆 P

Jojo I was joking, you are right I would only need them on the hand that slides the vegies across the gadgets blades. The thing is, I am so talented, I sliced myself last night whilst drying it with a tea towel! I am really skilled at being clumsy, I got the gene big time! And thanks Purple, you are a real friend. Imagine if I had no fingers left to type, then your life would be easier!

My question is: Why on earth were you drying up Nama? That’s like ironing bras!! 😉 G’night. P

It was new so I thought it wise to wash it before using it. And I have never ironed a bra! Goodnight, better leave before I am ejected. (The mandolin discussion was related to healthy eating tho)

WN, the only person I can find on FB with your name appears to be a man!

Can’t understand why, Amazon. I am most definitely not a man!!! I am wearing glasses in my picture, but I suppose it is because my first name is usually a shortening of a mans name.What else can I try?
    WN.

Look at my profile on here and send me a friendship request on FB.My FB photo is of Andy Murray winning at Wimbledon.

Will do!
    WN.

Amazon, I have been unable to find you. There are quite a few but no one with that picture. I did a search under Find friends, I presume that is the way to do it. What else can we try?
    WN.

Click on your message icon and next to the word inbox, you can select “other” reply to my message and then look again.

Just found you!!!! Went a different route.WN.

All done, you are now joined to the group!

Thank you,Amazon.WN.

I would love to join this amazing thread, if you will have me.

I am from Manchester like you Brads, I was brought up in Gorton. Now living in beautiful Spain, with my husband who has already reached his ideal weight. It only took him 7 weeks. Life is just so unfair! I have lost 12lbs and still have another 24lbs to go as apparently my ideal weight is 8st 3lbs, which I find hard to believe. I will be ecstatic to get under 9 stone.

SAMM, love your posts, and thanks to you we now eat brazil nuts and walnuts.

I have done 3 fasts this week, one liquid only. We are looking forward to a very, very, naughty kebab and chips tomorrow night. This will not be a regular event.
    Good luck everyone!

Hi Applepie, and welcome 😛

The more the merrier!

Hi Applepie it will be a bit warmer in Spain than sunny Gorton,I have a long way to go so coming on here will help like the forum i joined when i gave up smoking.

Welcome Applepie,
    What a lovely handle.
    Sorry no time to chat now but I know what it feels like to have husband who looses weight quickly when I lose like a tortoise with 10 times more effort. Pleased to say I am now 1/2 less than him for the first time in 20 years.
    Good luck

Morning all, welcome Applepie and anyone else who’s hovering unsure whether or not to join us 🙂

Another warm one today heading for 34oC with an expected lovely and cool 27oC tomorrow for the first day of Autumn 😀

Had a lovely meal out last night (brought half of it home for tonight as there was just too much) then home and play with the dogs, put the chooks to bed (it was late last night when they got put to bed) and a late (midnight) kind of night for me.

Had a wonderful remedial massage yesterday too (I have one each month at the moment, but will need to stretch out to 6 weekly soon as my body gets more into shape in other ways too, lol) and had some comments from my masseuse about how I can help with smoothing my skin/body a bit more as now I’m losing weight she’s finding all the lumps and bumps of knotted parts of muscles so now we’re working on this too 😀

Lots to do today, need to find another mobile and landline provider, one which will provide the services requested and promised within the timeframe promised.

hELLO Fters

Another early morning message from you, AO. In Wellington a lovely day too for the last day of summer, supposedly 22°. Today Oz and NZ are playing cricket and you across the ditch have exported your top politicians here to talk about our joint military action against IS(excuse) but really to watch the cricket.
    I followed the conversations about finger cutting with some disbelief and perplexity. Nama, I interpreted as Purple did.I play piano and flute, so I was horrified.
    Did a good fast yesterday. I have walked nearly 50K steps in the last two days and walked up 200 floors. I said no to the Arnott’s mint slices on the top of the hill we climbed (Colonial Knob behind you, Barata)
    Jojo, I always walk with Nordic poles now when off the beaten track and I agree that they are a real boost. I come back from bush and hill hikes with tired arms and stiff shoulders(like yesterday). I am also continuing to swim. I have started using a snorkel to maintain the rhythmn. I have a waterproof MP3 player, so I listen to the radio or music under water. It can also count lengths.
    Has anyone tried aqubiking. There is an offer on near us in France and I am wondering whether to take up the offer. Any ideas?
    Welcome to newcomers.
    Happy Weekend
    xx Wiwi

Morning all!

Hi Wiwi, don’t worry only one finger badly sliced and it was so neat that I think it will heal beautifully if I can keep it dry! New respect for kitchen gadgets though. Flute would be very tricky, I am finding typing hard!
    Tell me about the snorkel? I have thought of using one as have an old whiplash and thought it would help. Have never even used one as a child.

I think we are in for a hot one too AO, but a cool change forecast for later. Hoping our heat will be finished soon, it cramps my style. Would like to do some more long walks.

Non FD! Looking forward to Meusli and berries… Cheers all x

Hi Nama, Glad that the hand will heal properly.
    I don’t have a neck problem, but the snokel means that you don’t turn the neck, which I find ruins the rhythmn. There is one problem. I get very thirsty as one is breathing through the mouth, which I believe is intrinsically not so good.

XX Wiwi

Hi Nama Glad to hear you are chirpy again and have 10, almost whole, digits. 🙂

Sadly, Wiwi, they are not our top pollies. Definitely there for the cricket. Would you like to keep them? The PM was an import from Britain anyway.
    I play piano, clarinet and a little guitar, so need all 10 fingers too!

I’ve used a snorkle for laps also. I do a fair bit of skin diving, so enjoy it. Dripping wet from a swim now. I think we are in for a warm last day of summer.
    Enjoy your weekend all. P

Viewing 50 posts - 7,551 through 7,600 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.