Looking for support for over 50's

This topic contains 36 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Katab 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

• Hi,
    I’ve been doing this a few weeks now and looking for support from those of us not the youngest chook in the yard.
    I also want to KISS ( keep it simple) so not looking for heaps of slang, not looking for support that involves hours of worrying over calories on non Fast days (FD), worrying over however many hours exactly the fast takes etc…
    Anyone interested in being a buddy?

Hi Katab
    I would love to be a buddy. I just found this site yesterday and am excited to start the November challenge. I am 52 years old and I’m having a difficult time losing weight. I exercise a lot on my job but it doesn’t seem to help so I decided to do the 5:2 fasting with it.

Wow, that’s great Yvonne! I am also 52 and yes, weight loss been more of a struggle, especially around the middle since the menopause.
    I have been doing 5:2 for about 5-6 weeks. My GP recommended it as I need to lose the weight but not too quickly as it’s unsafe and I got bored of Weightwatchers. I’ve lost about 2 kg.
    I live in the UK…you?

Good morning, I meant to reply yesterday but lost track of our conversation. I will be bookmarking so that I can reply more often. I live in the US in the state of Georgia. Like you, I am not into the slang and worrying about non-fast days. Also, I believe I am in menopause and it’s difficult. Middle weight is definitely the most stubborn! How many days do you fast? I have read where some people are fasting more than two days. I did a fast yesterday and it went well, although by the end of the night I was thinking about all the foods I would love to eat today. I work 2nd shift at a school in the custodial department so I am up later in the evening and that is when I am tempted to gorge. I also did Weight Watchers and got bored with it a couple of years ago. The meetings were the same every week. Each person would have the same thing to say and the same struggles every week and I really didn’t like being stuck like that. I did lose weight on Weight Watchers though, I lost 10 pounds couple of years ago. It sounds like we have several things in commom, I’m so glad I found your post! Tell me more about the foods you eat on both kinds of days. I like some of the ideas I have read in the forum.
    Well toodles for now.

Hi Yvonne,
    Thanks for your reply. We will find our answers come with great gaps because of the time difference. I am fasting today which I don’t over enjoy but am seeing and feeling the benefits.
    I always have porridge for breakfast, an apple at lunchtime if I really feel I need it. During the day I drink black coffee or water, or water with a peppermint tea bag in it, or peppermint tea.
    In the evening currently I’m having a bowl of soup, home made so I know what’s in it. I have a soup maker so can throw in any veg and it makes it for me. Currently it’s pumpkin as my step,son gave us a huge pumpkin from his garden. Then either cheese or some meat as the protein element and last thing I’ll have a coffee with a dash of milk and a low fat Yoghourt. It’s over the 500 cals but currently working and gives me options to reduce when I hit a plateau.
    Yes, I only fast two days a week. Usually Monday and Thursday but depends on the events on that week.,

Hi Katab,
    This is a fasting day for me. Started out with a cup of green tea. I love the different flavors of green tea it really helps on fasting days. Then for lunch I will be having an apple with a slice of cheese and a small salad. For dinner I will have some vegetable soup. I am hoping that I am able to fight off the cravings tonight. I think I will take some green tea with me to work and hopefully sipping on that will help.
    How was your day?

My day wasn’t bad.. Had a bit of a moment when I could have stuffed myself while waiting for my soup but that soon passed and when I weighed myself this morning had lost 0.5kg so was pretty pleased.

Hopefully your day going well….πŸ˜ƒ

Good morning, although it may be evening for you? I just finished reading the posts in the November challenge. Today they were pretty uplifting, but sometimes they are a bit heartbreaking. Many of us beat ourselves up for eating a few calories over or having a bad day.
    Congrats on the weight loss! I feel better with each fast day, what about you?

IT is evening over here….it’s Bonfire night so I’m curled up with the curtains closed and the volume up on the TV as my hearing cat gets a bit stressed with all the fireworks. We brought him over from Australia where fireworks are illegal without a special licence ( because of the bush fire risk) so he is t used to fireworks. My deaf cat is sleeping happily!

Yes, I was following a thread where everyone just obsessed over every calorie, every slip etc whereas I really want this to work for me as part of a lifestyle change rather than my mind looking at it as a diet.

I actually look forward to a fast day now! Never thought I’d say that…

Hello ladies. I don’t count calories at all so it is possible to lose weight and not count. However in my opinion if you don’t want to count then youre really going to have to eat healthy the vast majority of the time. I lost 46 lbs (21 kg) over one year and have been in maintenance mode 6:1 since March this year. In my pinion grain based foods are not healthy for you and should be treated as very occasional treats. So foods like bread, pasta, pizza, muesli, breakfast cereals should be avoided or limited. Basically any processed grain product. Your carbs should come from veggies, but not potatoes!! Cut out refined grains and you don’t need to count calories. Good luck with it.

Thanks for your advice…it does surprise me how many people veer away from the recommendations in the book but I know we all approach our eating with differing ways of coping. The fact that we weren’t encouraged to calorie count on non FD was what particularly attracted me to 5:2. I wasn’t looking for another fad….

Hi ladies! If you’ve room for another, I definitely qualify on the grounds of both age and the KISS factor. I aim for ‘the least effective dose’ – not popular with a lot of people, but it works for me.

Hi ladies, I’m 55 and also have a hard time losing weight.
    I have a hard time sticking to the fast as well. Today I’ve been good so far but still have quite a few hours to go.
    I’m in Texas and it’s still quite early. Any tips for sticking to the fast days?

Hi dg4, I’ve only done one fast day so far, though I stick to 16:8 every day – fast day or not. The fast day itself wasn’t that tough for me, but I had an extra busy day, so I think it helped. Unfortunately, that means I don’t have any hot tips, although I am thinking of starting some needlework projects that have been neglected recently. Surely the need for focus and inability to eat at the same time are a good combination – plus homemade gifts for Christmas = bonus πŸ™‚

Hi Katab,

There is nothing magical about 5:2 and Michael Mosley’s take on it. Its based on the scientific work of Luongo and Vardy and its something Mosley thought most people could at least do. Luongo in fact advocates a 4 day water fast once per month but Michael tried it and didn’t think he could do this long term. When I first started 5:2 I was water fasting for those two days. I actually found this easier than eating 500 cal. I still water fast every Monday. Every one finds their “happy place” with their 5:2.

If youre wanting some tips, this has worked for me, it should work for the majority of others. I know that some totally disagree with some of what I have listed below, try it for a month first. You may experience withdrawal symptoms and some discomfort for about a month. Wont “sugar” coat that aspect of it. It does pass and you do come out the other side. It will take your liver that long to actually start working properly.

OK my tips are:
    Cut sugar to an absolute minimum. You need the equivalent of one teaspoon of glucose circulating around in your blood at any one time. Anymore than that and it MUST be processed by the liver and stored as fat. So no cakes, biscuits, fizzy drinks, chocolates, lollies etc.

Cut down your alcohol consumption. Same deal as for sugar.

Eliminate processed grains, bread, pasta, pizza, “health” cereals (big joke). If you want to look up the origins of health cereals google Dr Kellogg. A very disturbed individual.

Try and have a large (raw) veggie salad as your main meal. It will satiate you for a very long time.

Eliminate potatoes, as far as insulin spikes goes this is worse than bread!

Try and make it a goal to eat most of your food so it hasn’t come out of a packet or a can.

Eliminate fruit juice. Its NOT healthy. Its liquid candy. You want fruit eat a whole piece of fruit.

Smoothies are not healthy and they destroy any sense of portion control.

Get the majority of your carbs from veggies, beans, lentils.

High fat dairy is OK. Go for good cheeses, high fat yogurt

If you must snack have nuts like almonds, walnuts and brazil nuts.

Good luck.

bigbooty it is wonderful that you found what works for you. Some of your post I can agree with, but I totally disagree with a lot of the information in your latest post.
    dg4 I find that sipping on green tea helps with cravings. I also don’t eat until lunch time. There are a lot of great recipes online. Katab gave me the good idea of making veggie soup. Hope this helps!

No problems Yvonne, like I said everyone has their take of what is a healthy diet. Out of interest which parts don’t you agree with? Im assuming its the processed grains and fruit juice?

Buy yourself a glucose meter as used by diabetics. I use a freestle optium neo but there are lots of them on the market. Measure yourself before a meal and then 30 minutes after a meal. You’ll soon figure out what foods spike your blood glucose and what foods have a minimal impact. If your aim is to lose weight then you want to keep these spikes to a minimum.

Hi All,

I’m copying a favorite post from another thread. This was written by ‘Merryme’ in response to a question about whether it is better to follow a high or low fat protocol. Here are the sage words ‘Merryme’ wrote…

β€œ5:2 doesn’t specify anything about fat, just calorie allowances for FDs and TDEE for nonFds. There are people successfully doing 5:2 on full fat, and low fat products. There are people successfully doing 5:2 on high fat, low fat, meat eating, vegetarian, vegan, paleo, lots of fruit, not much fruit, grains, no grains, potatoes, no potatoes, dairy, no dairy, sugar, some sugar, no sugar etc etc etc. Everyone does their own thing. There are people from all over the world and every continent on here. People eat according to their culture, religion, food philosophy, some have medical issues, allergies and need to eat specific ways, and so on………. So, what you eat is up to you. Probably the one thing everyone agrees on is added sugar being very bad for us. That said some say that but have honey whereas others wouldn’t etc so again what people eat is very individual.

β€œI would encourage you to eat food that you are familiar with to start off. Some people find starting 5:2 morenchallenging than others, so starting with familiar foods makes it easier for you. As you go along you will find that you naturally start to change how you eat to include some other foods and discard some that you’re not happy with. The forum is here for you to get adivce from and for you to give advice too.”

P.S. I hate calorie counting so only do so on my fasting days and I’m now at maintenance.

One of the things that has best helped me with hunger on fasting days is to wait as late in the day as possible to eat any food. Early food consumption on fasting days tends to trigger my hunger dragon!

I also find that eating plenty of protein on fasting days really helps. I started out consuming minimum of 50 grams on fasting days and that made all the difference in my success.

Welcome to lael, Ives and dg4.
    Lots of good advice and tips, and it’s good to appreciate how other people manage their days but everyone can find what suits them best…

Dg4… Well, I get through fast days with a good breakfast, the porridge as per the 5:2 book and I eat it slowly. Then I do drink plenty and yes, have found that a busy day is easier than a day at home doing paperwork (my job is home based but I go out and about doing visits). If needed I keep an apple in hand for midday if I find myself getting a bit distracted by hunger and veering towards temptation. I actually usually alway eat early say 5-6pm anyway so I stick to this on a FD (fast day). But I keep part of my last bit of calories for slightly later when I treat myself to my last hot drink with a dash of milk, as opposed to black during the day, and a small Yoghourt. And generally I may go and read in bed earlier, like Christmas Eve so a normal eating day comes faster!!! And yes, I do make sure I have good protein on a FD..well, every day but slightly more on a fast day.
    Like Yvonne I drink plenty but as I don’t like green tea it’s water, plain or flavoured with say a mint tbag or lemon or black tea or coffee.

As I like to keep my posts simple I don’t have a clue what TDEE or 16:8 is…I know FD for fast days, 5:2 and 6:1 for maintenance. Some people do 4:3 in a week but anything that involves more than 7 days has to be simplified for me…lol!!

Bigbooty, thanks for your food tips, most of which will be known to many serial dieters such as myself. Like you I don’t calorie count but I follow healthy eating guidelines, have my 5+2 fruit and veg a day and have a healthy plate for my main meals that shows the amounts of protein, carbs, veg etc we should have. But I do have the occasional dessert, chocolate as they are things I enjoy and I work them into my lifestyle.

Guys, debate is healthy and everyone ‘s tips are really good but they are just tips and not gospel in anyway. Find out for yourself what are the components of a healthy diet, (healthy fats, carbs, protein, dairy, vitamins and minerals etc)and work it into your everyday eating. But it has to fit your lifestyle, your family and your budget too

And I’m guessing by the fact all these posts have come in overnight that you are all in a different time zone to myself? Either America or Australia?

Hello all -new to this and loving this thread. Starting tomorrow and find advice useful. Tried the 5:2 when it first came out -didn’t work then but am much wiser now and kids not as young and I’m back at work full time I think it will be much easier to fit in with life. Am at slimming world but finding it very very hard to lose weight right now since starting menopause

Welcome tonifenton…

I tried slimming world once but didn’t continue as I found the “eat,eat,eat” philosophy didn’t suit me in the long run and didn’t retrain my appetite…
    But yes, my weight loss I’d d slow down once I became peri-menopausal but weight loss IS still achievable…

Kata, I do like your idea of simplicity. To be honest, I’m not much interested in debates and I am especially not interested in telling others what to do. There’s a debate section for those so inclined, and if someone asks me what has/has not worked for me I will share, but not presume that I know what’s best for them. I have lived in this body for more than half a century, and though I hope I still have a few decades left, I have learned a few things in that time. But of course, it’s all through my eyes and experiences. Even the things I knew about myself have changed over the years as I have aged and the world has changed around me.

Twenty years ago I would have been up for drastic lifestyle changes and major upheavals to my diet and exercise routine, I did it often enough back then, but not now. Now, I find the small, barely perceptible changes spread easily through my life like tiny ripples. You don’t notice them at first and they are so small, they are easy to ride without falling off.

I know a lot of people would be frustrated with what I am doing and want to lecture me about how I’m doing it all ‘wrong’. But I spent too many years making drastic changes that I couldn’t maintain. What I’m doing now may be simple, but it’s working. And it’s so simple and fits so well in my life I have no worries about maintaining it for a long time to come.

So, if it’s okay, I’ll assume you all have figured out what is best for you, and are just looking for some support and encouragement along the way, and try to be here for that. Even if it is at a totally opposite hour from quite a few of you πŸ™‚

Thank you ivee and yes, I’m looking for support, tips, encouragement etc

I think one of the freedoms of being our age is that, for me, in many ways I know myself well enough and certainly care less what others think of me.,
    I agree we are learning all our lives and changing etc as our lives change but in other ways I can shrug my shoulders and think hey, I’ve always been like this and won’t change now and this is not based on being rigid but knowing my likes and dislikes.
    So yes, I’m with you that I don’t want a bossy thread but a friendly one.
    Today I’m fasting but not sure how I will get on as tonight I’ll be staying in a hotel for my work for the next three nights and my day will be busy. But hey ho, I will do the best I can.
    I live in a small city called Chester near the border with Wales in the UK. Where do you guys live?

As Albert Einstein once said. Madness is when you keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting the results to somehow be different. So change something that you’re currently doing, be it either slightly different foods or eating slightly less (i.e. 5:2) and see what happens. If it goes in the right direction for you, great. If it doesn’t at least you know what doesn’t work. I reduced the amount of processed grains and increased my dairy (cheese and yogurt) fat intake and it made a massive difference. So change something and see what happens.

This is good advice for us when we hit our plateaus, as will happen at some time.

For those of you currently in same spot as myself…I.e just started 5:2, that change is enough for me so far and I’m losing slowly and steadily.
    πŸ˜ƒ

Yep, Katab. Same here. What I’m doing right now couldn’t be any more ideal, so I don’t have a need to change anything right now.

I actually *like* what I’m doing now, although I did tell someone yesterday and she warned me that I shouldn’t skip breakfast – ‘it’s the most important meal of the day’. She seemed so concerned about it, I told her I still eat breakfast – it’s just a couple of hours later πŸ˜‰

She, on the other hand, was starting some diet she didn’t tell me the name of, and learning what she ‘could’ eat and what wasn’t ‘allowed’ for those 6 times a day that she would be eating.

I never would have guessed how much I prefer not eating constantly.

Yes, I think that the 5:2 book debunks the myth about breakfast but I have always been told that I must never skip breakfast. Having said that, I can’t function well without morning coffee and breakfast…

Hello. Here is another 50+ girl. I guess I could call myself “experienced” for the fasting diet or “way of life”, but I definitely cannot call myself very successful.
    I started 5:2 from January and lost 23 lb during 8 months, then add 10 lb during the next 2 months, now I am trying to be back on horse.

Some people there said that fasting comes easier with time. Not for me. Every fast requires a will power, and a lot of it.
    I do 36-hour-no-calories fasts because if I cannot stop on recommended 500 cal and will binge. Somehow it is easier not to eat at all for me. Another point – plan your activities for your fasting day – get away from kitchen – take a walk, go to gym, go to window shopping (not food though). Plan to de-clutter any room that is away from kitchen, work in garden. Anything to keep your hands and brain busy will work.
    Every time when I fail fasting – it happened in kitchen, and with nothing to do.
    The diet is very flexible, and everybody usually finding the way that fits. But bigbooty is right – almost all of the successful ones ends up with the same advice – no sugar, and less carbs. Wish everybody a blessed day. πŸ™‚

ColdPizza, you are certainly on to something when you say ‘almost’ everyone. Because nothing fits everyone, and I’m a definite case in point. I absolutely cannot do low carb – not even a moderate low carb. Physically it is not good or healthy for me at all. I’ve tried it several times, but the result was always the same, so I finally accepted it. In fact, I eat sugar. On purpose. It’s excellent for promoting sleep and reducing stress hormones. Most people know this instinctively, hence the stress cravings for sugary things, but they refuse to ‘give in’ and if they do they feel guilty. Not me. I have some fruit a juice, a piece of chocolate – and stress calms, cravings are gone and I move on.

It’s not easy to get others to accept it, though. Too many people assume that what worked for them is best for everyone, or that the things they have trouble with affect everyone. I generally avoid those kinds of conversations, though, because most people, though they mean well and just want to help, and often will help some people – to be honest, I’m getting a little tired of the assumption that I must be lying about how much I eat, and that I must live on junk food and need unsolicited ‘healthy eating advice’. The idea that someone could be active, eat small amounts of ‘healthy’ food and yet still be overweight just doesn’t figure in their world, yet there are many of us out there. They probably don’t like talking about it anymore than I do πŸ™‚

I suspect those who have made a study of fasting would not be surprised at all by my story and my results, so I intend to keep up with it, but perhaps this is not the forum for me.

Welcome coldpizza…we’re friendly, informal and looking for support without judgement.
    I’m in a hotel this week for work,and completely failed at my fasting but hey ho, tomorrow is another day and it has taught me how to manage my FD activity…I was too busy to drink enough so succumbed to hunger…

Ivee…I agree that everyone is different and also we shouldn’t be denying ourselves a little bit of what we fancy…for me, complete denial leads to not fasting. Do you incorporate sweet stuff into your fast days?
    I agree that overweight people can be fit despite their weight…it’s only a few years ago I was walking 12km but health issues have sprung up recently

Hi everyone, I’ve just found the 5:2 site and registered! Your comments are very encouraging and positive. I’m in my mid 50’s and can’t drop those extra pounds which now add up to 42. Despite dieting I still gained weight, partly due to medication but often taking in too many calories. I think I’ll start my 1st fast day tomorrow and look forward to reading your posts. I’m in Ireland.

Welcome Breeta and you,will be amazed at how you find the 5:2 works. I live in England, very near the Welsh border…
    Let us know how you get on. I’ve been a bit erratic this week because of events and commitments but find it easy to get back on track.

Hi Katab, many thanks for your welcome! I started this morning so fingers crossed. I hope you get back on track and look forward to seeing your update.

Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum and this group discussion looks great for me as well.

I’m a guy, (so at least I don’t have to worry about the menopause!). 57 years old, British, but since 2002 I live and work in south-east Asia. I work as an English teacher in the country of Myanmar (Burma). This is the second-poorest country in all of Asia (after Afghanistan), but the Burmese people are lovely and very keen to learn English to try to improve their lives.

I’m not that overweight, but I am definitely out of condition, with wasted arm muscles (following 2 falls off ladders onto concrete). I recently took up cycling to work, (which almost killed me when I started), but I’m certainly feeling fitter now. So along with the exercise routine, I need to improve my diet and lose some pounds to get that six pack that I never had (and WILL never have at my age!).

Many people think that the Asian diet is very healthy, but that is not always the case. Most people eat white rice at every meal, or food fried in the lowest grade of oil. I try to avoid rice and fried foods, unless it is quick-fried in a wok.

Because I work in very remote and unsanitary regions, where it is difficult to find ‘clean’ food, I regularly pick up stomach and intestinal bugs, such as Dysentry, Giardia, tapeworms etc, (and other nasties like dengue fever). I usually stock up on medications when I can find a pharmacy in a larger town, cos I know that I will need them sooner or later.

So I’m going to start this fast diet next week, when I start a new job at a rural high school. I’m thinking about what drinks or food I should eat on my fasting days, because I’ll be standing in the classroom for about 6 hours each day, and don’t want to scare the kids by fainting πŸ™‚

Very good to meet everyone in this group – Mingalaba from Myanmar!

Welcome Simon…wow! My sister lived in China when it was still People’s Republic and white people were restricted and so I’m familiar with the sort of privations you’ve endured.
    I guess you need to make sure you don’t get dehydrated or lose your salts on a fast day. And remember what they said about eating extra protein…

And Breeta…hope it all goes ok.
    I half thought of fasting today as I was travelling but glad now I didn’t as was on the road for 7 hours and fasting always makes me pee a lot…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply.