Looking for some support and reassurance

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Liathanail 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Hi,

So I just started 5:2 on 22nd May and I’m pretty happy with the initial results. Starting weight was 18st 5.7lbs and I’m aiming for 11st 2lbs so I chose this as I’m in it for the long haul. I’m 5’6″ and 42 years old, unfortunately went through an early menopause at 35 due to cancer treatment for Hodgkins Lymphoma. I have an under active thyroid and lymphoedema in both legs.

My fast days have been fine at 600 cals, fairly straightforward as I skip breakfast, try not to eat my soup for lunch until about 2pm and have a 500 cal meal about 7pm. NFDs I am sticking to around 1600 cals. My TDEE is around 2545 on here or 2711 based on what my Fitbit tracker tells me.

Results so far:
    Start: 18st 5.7lb
    Week 1: -5.7lb
    Week 2: +0.5lb
    Week 3: -0.8lb
    Week 4: +0.5lb

I weigh myself every day first thing in the morning and don’t stress too much about individual numbers as I usually vary within a 2lb range day to day. I’m looking for an overall downward trend.

Due to the lymphoedema I have to do at least 30 mins of exercise which helps my legs to drain everyday which is usually walking or 30 minutes on a mini rebounder trampoline.

I’m sure I read on one of the threads on here that exercise can mask/counteract the weight loss you see on 5:2 due to increased water retention for muscle repair. I’m not daft enough to think I’m stacking on loads of muscle (I’ve been doing a weightlifting session with a personal trainer once a week for the last 3 years and I know muscle is hard to gain!), but I was after some reassurance on the impact of the exercise I’m doing on potential weight loss results.

I will keep up the exercise as I need to in order to manage the lymphoedema but I just need a bit of support to stick with the 5:2 when the results are slower than I’d like. I’m not about to give up this early but could do with a bit of a boost.

Please help me to keep going – I’m sure this will work for me if I can get my head around the fact that I won’t see nice straightforward drops in weight each week.

Thanks
    Liath

This works differently for everyone, but if you can continue with that plan you should see the weight go. You can probably have slightly more on NFD – some people base that on the TDEE for their target weight. Make sure you are taking on board plenty of fluids though. It takes a lot of water both for the muscle repair from regular exercise, and also to flush those empty fat cells. If you’re not drinking enough you will retain.

Also, don’t concentrate solely on the scales. Track your basic measurements as they may go down when the scales are stubbornly not. Also, the fit of your clothes will tell you a lot.

Thanks for the reply. I didn’t bother doing my measurements when I started but have done them and recorded in the tracker this week. I’m now kicking myself that I didn’t do this earlier as I’m sure my tummy has shrunk (sort of flattened out a bit) since I started based on how my clothes fit and looking in the mirror but I don’t have any measurements to confirm it. I think I was a bit terrified of what the tape measure might tell me (and I was right to be – LOL!).

Having been stuck bouncing around in the same 0.4lb weight range for about 2 weeks I suddenly dropped just under 2lbs overnight. Here’s hoping it stays off.

I definitely feel better in myself so I will just keep on keeping on and ride out the frustrating flatlines…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.