Lolly_ …. lots to lose, and everything to gain!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lolly_ …. lots to lose, and everything to gain!

This topic contains 330 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Fuvvie 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 335 total)

• What I want to do here is record my journey before my brain can play games with me.

Failure has always loomed larger for me than success, and in the attempt to change that thinking I’ve come to see how I’ve sabotaged myself through years of dieting and binging. With the help of some recent therapy, a lot of negative voices in my head have been acknowledged — and politely shown the door. I expect they’ll be back with battering rams, so my door needs lots of positive reinforcement. Help is all around when one is finally ready to see it!

What I have to lose: weight. Lots of it. Around 11 stone.

What I have to gain: freedom. In so very many ways.

This is about so much more than weight loss to me. I can’t do a “diet” again because that’s just deprivation that I inevitably follow up with binging. I really really DO want to lose the weight but it has to be part of a whole life change and not something temporary.

I have zero control over the numbers on the scale. I do have control over my food choices so that’s where I’ll put my focus. I don’t own a scale of my own and I’m not sure I want to yet, but my last hospital visit tagged me at over 21 stone and that’s the last time I ever want to see that again!

I have chosen to do 5:2, with 500 calorie fasting on Mondays/Thursday. I have committed to this for one month. It doesn’t feel like deprivation at all with all the power I have to make choices and my first FD was very peaceful.

Okay, it’s official — push “submit” and go!

Good luck, Lolly! Let us know how you get on.

Lots of luck Lolly! You can do this!! Stick around on these forums for lots of support and encouragement!! I for one am so glad I found the forum!!!

Thank you so much, MmeMonkey and Skyblue69, for the encouragement. I really do think that the support I see on this forum is one of those magic ingredients in a recipe for success. I KNOW I can do this — because I can see you all doing it, too!

This is my second fast day, and I’m feeling well.

So much of this process is attitude for me. The facts are the facts: I have 500 calories worth of food for today. I could feel angry and deprived and hard done by. Or — I could see it as a gift of loving care to myself.

Today, I gratefully choose the gift.

Hi Lolly! Hope the fast went well yesterday! I really LOVE your idea that you are giving yourself a gift of loving care! I am absolutely going to make that my mantra too! Thank you!!

Thanks, Skyblue — my FD went really well! I feel calm and strong today.

I put some thought into how to make that 500 calories work for me and I prepared the day before by making a pot of thick lentil/pumpkin/veggie soup. It’s just what I happened to have around. I divided that into 4 containers. They worked out at 225 calories each — my math skills were getting a workout that day — so I put 3 in the freezer for future fasts.

In the morning, I put the soup on the stove, enough water to make 8 cups, added some protein (happened to be firm tofu but could have been some meat). There was still enough leeway for some milk with tea and a small apple.

It felt very satisfying to have that warm, comforting soup. And certainly very filling over 3 meals! I liked knowing that I was getting enough water. But it was also extremely important that it was something I liked, something I would eat even on a regular day.

I refuse to “waste” a meal with bad or indifferent food. I love flavour and texture, fresh ingredients. I enjoy the whole process of preparing and cooking food. So, I think I can bring all that together within a 5:2 plan which will feel liberating rather than restrictive.

I think “plan” is the secret word for today. There’s that saying: “Failing to plan is planning to fail.” I can’t just stand at the cupboard or fridge door looking for something good. It’s ALL good! There’s no junk. But volume is not my friend. Nor is binging.

Planning too far ahead is a trap for me. So, for right now, planning for the next day is something I can do.

I’m actually slipping in an unscheduled fast today because I woke up this morning all excited about it being a FD. I laughed out loud at myself but then I figured, why waste enthusiasm like that, let’s go with the flow! I have portioned food ready to roll in the freezer so no additional prep required.

Good idea? Bad idea? It’s so early in my process that all I can say is I’ve been feeling amazingly well all week, and blessedly without cravings. I feel happy, in a very deep and peaceful way — not a manic one. I have read here that many people do a 4:3, as well as other variations. I made a commitment to 5:2 for a month and that is my base point. But I am open to stepping that up, as long as I feel healthy.

A huge factor here is the absence of sugar. Without it, I am not craving anything. I don’t find myself in the kitchen searching through the same cupboard I searched 5 minutes ago. I have reasonable meals, which start — and more importantly — stop. No crazy binging.

This is not news to me. I’ve observed it before, on diets. But there has always been that point on a diet when I feel deprived — and when I finally come up for air things are worse than ever.

So there it is. For me, the sugar has to stay gone. It doesn’t matter what other people can tolerate in their food plans. It’s neither fair nor unfair. It’s just what’s true for me to have clarity of mind.

Yesterday was remarkable as my first chocolate-free Easter ever — and it was absolutely peaceful. I need to write this down before I forget or take it for granted.

Three weeks ago, I’d have laughed. Two weeks ago, I’d have doubted. One week ago, I knew it was do-able.

What is happening here? And how do I keep it up?

Easter loomed large for me as a major binge festival. Normally, that’s at least 4-6 weeks before resurfacing. After starting with 5:2, that’s not happening this year. First. Time. EVER.

I’m sitting here on my 4th FD and looking at life from a new perspective. I wanted change, I was ready for change, and now I’m doing it. And I think I keep it up by just doing it some more. No magic formulas, no secret wonderdrugs or superfoods. Just me, good choices, and a little help from my friends here.

Oh. And avoiding the bunny sales this week. There’s a limit to this bargain-lover’s resolve and I’m not minded to test it!

Well done Lolly!

I think that more than half the battle is won ‘in the mind’…and you are winning!

I totally agree with the idea that the plan works without any magic formula or special foods…it is sensible eating – with a few controlled treats enjoyed on non-faast days. It gives me the assurance that I can keep doing this for the rest of my life…I WILL lose the weight…I WILL NOT put it back on again!

You have made a terrific start! Keep up the good work!

I sat in front of a plate of cookies at a two hour meeting and didn’t even blink. I didn’t have to talk myself out of them,…I was just not interested. Now,.. if it had been a cocktail…..

Cheers, Buttonboots — what you’re saying is on the money for me. I don’t want a weird diet that sets me apart from people. I want to be able to find food that works for me anywhere. I love good food! I want to enjoy my meals. And I want to lose weight. I can see people here who are doing just that, so I can too!

K-Lo, that’s amazing, isn’t it. Just. Not. Interested. Music to my ears!

I’m making a note to myself here for future reference about β€˜That sugar film’ by Damon Gameau. If I ever waiver on my sugar resolve, watch this again pronto. If a picture says a thousand words, this film beats a thousand lectures.

Lolly! I’m absolutely loving reading your posts! You are doing fantastically well! It seems that you have taken a step back from your old way of life, assessed it for what it was and got your mind into a peaceful calm zone which is making you approach things in a sensible way! Well done to you and keep up the good work! Reading your posts is really motivating me thank you!!

Hello, just wanted to say a big thanks Lolly & the others on this thread for your posts — really inspirational words just when I needed them. I like the concept of giving ourselves a gift by following the 5:2.
    I have started a number of times and get to a point where I’m almost-but-not-quite where I want to be, and always fall off the wagon at that point. I start the day well but can give in when preparing dinner for the family, then it all turns to custard!When I’m motivated, I can say to myself ‘it’s only for today — tomorrow you can have that treat’ and be fine, but sometimes I need an extra boost. today you guys were the boost, so thank you, thank you!

Lolly, I really like your thoughtful posts – I can really relate to the importance of planning ahead and accepting that certain foods (if they are foods, let’s call them “food-like edible substances”, as Michael Pollan does πŸ™‚ ) are best left uneaten. I am not yet at your stage of zen-like acceptance and feel it’s at least a BIT unfair that I simply can’t have highly refined carbs, including sugar, because it triggers insane cravings in me. But, looking at it dispassionately, you are right. It is what it is. Some people can’t eat nuts. Some people can’t eat dairy. Some people can’t eat highly refined carbs. It’s not a one size fits all universe of foodstuffs. Next time I feel like complaining about the unfairness of it all, I’ll repeat your mantra of “it is what it is”.

K-lo, what a wonderful epiphany in front of the cookie plate! Espeically since meeting cookies tend to be awful anyway and, under normal circumstances, one STILL reaches for them.

Veggie Girl, it’s all about getting up again when falling. Better luck next time! πŸ™‚

Lolly
    I am is the same place as you I’m 5ft 2 and tipping the scales at 18.5st I want to loose 9st having tried every other diet imaginable I’m considering trying this. What is the simplist way of eating 500 cals so I won’t feel hungry I’m a chocoaholic but do love all healthy foods to bar cottage cheese!!
    I have a holiday in the sun planned from the 11th April for one week – should I start now or wait till I return??
    HELP

I went out on a Very Important Mission — and returned to find beautiful faces at my IF door!

I am so happy to see you all speaking up because I just know we can figure this out together. I am in awe of the success I see in this forum — real people making lasting changes. That’s what we can do, too.

Everyone of us has differences which can be fit into a 5:2, from what I have seen. But what I really love is that it’s not a diet, in the way I’ve always approached diets. (And man, have I tried a few. When they see me approaching now, they run away screaming. But that’s okay, because I always did, too.)

Why diets didn’t work for me: it’s a temporary thing I was always going to leave to return to … normal. Well. My normal wasn’t a good place to live if you wanted to lose weight. Also, I deeply resented HAVING to be on diet. I saw it as something I had to do for others.

Last year was one of those major turning points we all experience once in a while. It set me looking for… well, I didn’t know what. But I was looking. And when a chance reference to IF got me here a few weeks ago, I was intrigued and then impressed with the concept.

Peggy, welcome! Your question about the 500 calories is an excellent one. I’m no expert — in fact, I’m so new here I still squeak! — but here are a few things you might consider in your choices. Keep your water levels up. That’s for everyone. After that, are you a person who likes to feel full? Perhaps you might drink soup through the day. Are you a person who likes a few small meals v.s. one large one? Perhaps you’d prefer to save calories for a dinner. What you end up doing may be very different from me, but exactly right for you.

Check out the Fast Diet books for many recipe ideas. Also, do read the FAQ of the forum. Plus lots of threads for great ideas. And keep on sharing as you go.

Holidays are sent to test us! I hope you have a fabulous time, whatever you choose. Today is always a good day to treat yourself well.

Veggie Girl — what a terrific name — you just made my day while we were making yours. And you raise a topic I really want to discuss.

Austrian, welcome to my Tyrol-like mountain substance! Plant a flag and pull up a chair. The last time anyone called me zen-like was, well, never. If my head gets too big, please pop it like a balloon. I’m going to become an absolute bore on this sugar thing, I’m warning you in advance! Why didn’t I listen to this YEARS ago??

And now, having gone on far too long already, I have the results of my Very Important Mission. I went out and bought myself the very last thing i would ever have called a “treat” before this week. I now possess… scales! And, drum roll, please — I no longer weigh over 21 stone. Wednesday Weigh-ins are hereby inaugurated, oyez, oyez.

20 st./13 lb. Go, me!

Fantastic Lolly!! What fabulous news well done! What a boost and a motivation, keep up the good work!!

Hi Lolly and everyone else! I just read all the posts on this thread, and LOVE the support and attitude that is coming through, its amazing!

Lolly you are so positive, its inspiring πŸ™‚ and woo hoo on the loss! This plan really does work πŸ™‚ Well done!

I’m going to keep reading this thread, and am here to offer support to anyone who needs it. I’ve been doing this for just over a month now, although the Easter break messed up my two fast days last week. I’m over that now, and fasting today.

Your posts have really motivated me to carry on πŸ™‚ I know this works.

Good luck everyone, stay strong πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Skyblue and Dragon Fly — your very names together bring sunshine! I can’t get over what a difference it makes, having people who “get” our issues hear us. I’m so glad you’re here.

It’s a bit of a surprise, honestly, to realise that I do feel positive. I haven’t exactly been known for this in my life. Quite the reverse. Old habits may die hard, but new habits can be formed and practiced until they are just as natural.

It’s important for me to not set up a “fight” scenario because I always lose them. I’m not fighting weight, food, sugar, time, numbers, or public opinion. (I might be fighting gravity, but that’s another subject altogether!) The way I perceive a thing determines my experience of it. This is not about trying to fool or pretend to myself that everything in the garden is rosy — it’s about questioning my assumptions and only keeping what works.

Fast day, and all is well.

Lolly, you DO sound very positive – apart from your pessimism regarding gravity, which is well-founded. Fighting against gravity, we all lose, especially about the boobs. So let’s just approach this scenario with zen-like calm etc.

As to your fight against sugar, maybe this would be an opportunity to add a more zen-like angle?
    “What is the sound of one hand… throwing out all the complimentary sugar packages collected in a life time of restaurant visits?”
    “A lonely package of sugar falling over and deservedly being eaten by ants – does it make a sound?”
    To be meditated on…

Hurray about the new scales – may their batteries never die and may the numbers always dwindle.

Cheers,
    Austrian

I like the way your mind works, Austrian!

I can see it now, the new bestseller — Lolly Meditates on Sugar. Hmm. That title may need a little work…

It’s April 1st, and I feel anything but foolish this year. I feel excited, optimistic, and up for the challenge. I’ve found something that works and now I have all the fun of figuring out how to make it work best for me. I love to learn things!

Normally, having no clear deadline would bring out the procrastinator in me. This time, it is allowing my daily best to be good enough. How can anyone do better than their best, by definition? But this is a highly dynamic process and I expect “my best” to fluctuate on a daily basis. It requires that I pay attention to what I am doing, to be mindful.

Got up this morning and began a fast day as if it were the most normal thing in the world to do.

For the first time in my life, I am not doing a constant prowl for food. No white-knuckling, either. There is no sense of deprivation or exhaustion. And none of those sudden energy drops.

My skin has cleared, my sleep pattern has normalised, and my mind is at peace.

I have all the proof I need for myself of the harm sugar does to my system. When I’m not using it, I don’t want it. When I did use it, I wanted nothing else. I realised the other day that I was sounding like a friend who is a recovering alcoholic. So, I’m exploring addiction models today.

Halfway point in my first month’s commitment to 5:2, and I couldn’t be happier. It’s actually turned out to be 4:3 both weeks, but I would rather see that extra FD as a bonus than write it in stone for now.

I am changing my Monday FD to Tuesday for this week. I haven’t yet worked out a plan for a FD while out with others. On the whole, I’d prefer to be on my own on a FD at this point. I am clear in what I’m doing, but wouldn’t want to end up feeling I had to defend myself or something. People mean well, but I can see “fasting” being a red rag to a few bulls of my acquaintance!

Perhaps I’m being cowardly? I’m definitely being self-protective. Eventually, others will see the weight loss clearly and then I can decide how much to share. Meanwhile, I am SO glad this forum is here.

Lolly, it seems you are really doing fine on 5:2 – great to hear/read!

As to fasting when out with others – I don’t think it is cowardly to keep out of public scrutiny, so to speak. Because it’s very likely that your evening would be spoiled by
    a) heated discussions about negative effects of fasting
    b) long soul searching talks in which everybody reveals which body part they are unhappy about (“Well, MY hips…”, “But MY waist…”), secretly hoping that the others will say “But no! Your [insert body part here] is absolutely [insert positive adjective here], compared to my [insert hated body part of speaker here].”
    c) talk turns to all kinds of fad diets and you would have to explain why 5:2 is not a fad diet

Which could be very boring and/or infuriating, depending on the occasion and the people involved.
    So I would definitely keep fast days and social engagements apart, at least for a very long time.

As to your Meditations on Sugar, I don’t think there is much of a market for a book with such a title, maybe you should go for something more lurid, e.g. “Sweet Sugar Trap – How I Took On The White Poison And Won” or some such. πŸ˜‰

Good luck, keep on keeping on.

Lolly, you’re doing so well πŸ™‚ I agree that its best not to set up a “fight” situation. A day at a time works for me, no long term goals. I always fail when I do that. If I can get through a day, I have accomplished something.

Austrian, I LOVE your outlook on things πŸ™‚ It all adds to the positivity.

Have a great day Lolly and Austrian πŸ™‚ We are stronger together!

Lolly, I so understand the ‘protectiveness’ thing…it is far from cowardly! You are giving yourself the best possible chance of making the plan work for you and succeed!

There are members of my family who still don’t know that I am 5:2ing – and I have been doing it for quite some time now!…in fact I still smile sweetly and feign surprise that they have noticed a weight loss…’what me? dieting?????’…well it’s NOT exactly a lie – I don’t see this as a diet per se!
    (There is also the fact that I have tried and failed so often I think that I was reluctanct to admit I was trying again!)

I’m so glad you three agreed with my thinking on this one and it’s not just me being a wimp. You’re absolutely right — I don’t want a “fight”, I don’t want to have to defend my choices, and I definitely cringe at the number of times I’ve tried and failed in the past.

Austrian, you nailed that conversation! I was so there in my mind. Being the focus of it would be excruciating. I am uncomfortable being watched in general but the weight issue is particularly sensitive.

Buttonboots, you are doing exactly what I was thinking to do, so thank you for saying it! I won’t be talking “diet” with my family. It’s a minefield. If pressed, I might admit to “cutting back a little” but even that carries risk.

Another reason I am leery of talking about weight loss has to do with what has happened in the past when I have been on a diet long enough for someone to notice and offer a compliment. I don’t quite understand why, but that was usually the point when I wobbled and fell off the wagon. This whole experience feels very different, so I am prepared to deal with it better this time — but I won’t be sure until after it happens!

I managed the meal well, but honestly it was a relief to get home again and make plans for my fast day tomorrow. Perhaps a day will come when I don’t have to mentally prep so much but it isn’t here yet. I feel that I have a very new and precious flame to protect and that has to be my first priority over worrying about what someone else might say or think.

We ARE stronger together!!

It’s really not anyone’s business. You don’t have to explain yourself to people. (Does that sound harsh?

Congrats on the weight loss to date, Lolly, and hello to you all. Last week I did just one FD, easing back into it, but back to 2 this week & doing fine today tho hungrier than usual in the morning. So I jumped back onto the forum to get me another dose of positivity! And it worked, yay! One inspirational quote i wrote down from somewhere on this website is “if you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten”. So heres to new, better habits. Have a great week!

Hi everyone πŸ™‚ Love reading your updates πŸ™‚

Yesterdays fast went to plan, so one under my belt for the week. Next one will be Thursday. I had herbal tea and water during the day, and a weightwatchers meal for dinner 197 calories, leaving enough for two small pieces of bread. Surprisingly, it filled me up nicely. I’m not too hungry this morning, although I have brought breakfast with me to work. I’ll hold off as long as I can before I eat. If I’m not hungry yet, no point eating just because I can.

The headache was a slight problem yesterday but I think it was because of a lack of sleep on Sunday night. I’m not sleeping as much as I should be, and it shows.

I hope everyone has a great day, stay focused and you can do this!

Good luck with the day x

Hello everyone!!

Lolly I have to agree with you and K-Lo, Buttonboots, Dragonfly and Austrian. Hubby and I have told no-one of what we are doing and are just quietly going about our day to day business, just fasting twice a week. Like K-Lo says, it’s no-one elses business really. We are doing this for ourselves!!!

You all rock! It’s only years of self-justification around food issues that makes me doubt my decisions, but I knew in my heart that I was right. It doesn’t sound harsh at all, K-Lo, and you put it in a nutshell. I think it’s brilliant that you are quietly sharing this with your husband, Skyblue — power to you both!

So, discretion shall reign. And I gratefully begin my delayed fast day.

Who knew how liberating a FD could be? Food planned, the day is mine. I love that we can all find what works best for us. So far, I’ve been staying with my large pot of soup — it’s warming and filling — but I’m open to change.

Something totally unexpected: I’m not wanting to overeat on non-fast days, either. I’ve been keeping careful track to create a bench mark for my new normals. Logic told me that I would be STARVING after a FD, but nothing of the kind. I’m enjoying my meals, but when they’re done I’m fine until the next one. And it’s falling naturally into a 3 meals a day pattern. Seriously, I haven’t eaten like that since I was a child!

I have been a sponge the last few weeks, soaking up anything I could read or watch about nutrition, diets, addiction, and particularly sugar as that one rang the loudest bell for me. I’ve looked back at my behaviour, seeing clear patterns I can learn from. I’m with you, Veggie Girl — here’s to new better habits!

Congrats on the successful FD, Dragon Fly! I’ll be joining you again on Thursday. Maybe that “F” stands for Freedom. πŸ™‚

Lolly, I have a BIG (800+ people) annual professional women’s dinner at the American Museum of Natural History tonight. AND as I plan to enjoy my self and not limit myself beyond what my new appetite wishes, I just decided I will make today a modified fast day. And I know I will stick to it. In the past, when I’d see a number on the scale I did not like, I’d vow not to eat that day, but I never did it. Now I know I can plan what I will eat for the day and stay with the plan. And I don’t need to mention a word to anyone about my plans…except you all.

THIS IS POWERFUL!

Isn’t it a revelation Lolly – not wanting to over eat on non-fast days! I feel the same now, and I really, honestly never felt I would feel that way in a million years! I know exactly how you feel when you say you enjoy your meals and then happily carry on until the next one. I love that this has happened to me because I honestly never thought it would! Good for you for reading up all you can on nutrition – knowledge is power!!

Good luck tonight K-Lo I hope you have a lovely evening!

Hope you had a wonderful dinner, K-Lo — you have to admire a woman with A PLAN! The energy in that room must have been extraordinary.

It’s so true, Sky. I have to say that I do believe the key for me is the avoidance of sugar. That, along with an overall reduction in carbs has allowed a sense of calm I never imagined possible. My brain feels free at last to help repair the damage of years to my body. It’ll take time, but I’ll get there.

And, as this is Wednesday Weigh-in, allow me to toot my own horn: 3 lbs dismissed this week, and I am delighted!

20 st./10 lb. Go me!

Lots of wine and a pound later, I did have a lovely, guilt free time, because I knew that i can get right back into sync today. And I did. And I enjoyed the compliments last night.

Yay Lolly!! Go you!! Good riddance to that 3lb!!

K-Low glad you had a lovely time! That’s the beauty of this we can just get right back in the saddle!!

Go Lolly! 3lbs down is fantastic πŸ™‚ Its a great feeling isnt it?

K-Lo glad you enjoyed the dinner. This plan is brilliant because you can have events like that guilt free, and just get back into it the next day πŸ™‚

Skyblue69 I also love that on non fast days I am more conscious of what I’m eating, and not doing it mindlessly, its so empowering!

I’m fasting today, and I’m happy because I’m wearing a pair of trousers today that 12 months ago were SO uncomfortable, they are now bordering on too big!!!!! I’m amazed πŸ˜€

Have a great day everyone, we are strong as a group, the support helps so much .. I appreciate each and every one of you πŸ™‚

Good luck x

Morning Dragonfly! Yes really is empowering isn’t it!! That’s amazing wearing your trousers that were once too tight and they now feel loose – what a fabulous feeling that is too!!

I’m fasting today too so happy fasting Dragonfly!

Hope you all have a lovely day!

Look at us, all happily fasting today!

It’s just the best feeling in the world to finally find something that actually works. And it’s working in a way that feels right and natural, so I know it’s not a temporary measure I will drop as I have so many other weight loss attempts. I’m not fighting myself, not denying myself, not feeling in any way deprived.

My body can actually tell me now when I’ve had enough. Since when did THAT matter? I was a restless mindless feeding machine. Even in just these few weeks, that is no longer true.

I’m not going back. I didn’t purposely target carbs at first — that just happened as I was looking to stay under my TDEE from a calorie perspective. It turns out that this is the better way for me, so I’ve been studying up on the science of it. It’s fascinating.

We’re all different but we can all do 5:2 with whatever plan works for us. So let keep those trousers falling off!

Yes, that’s so true. It feels RIGHT, that’s it, unlike only eating cabbage soup or pineapple or one breadroll and milk for weeks on end. That can’t work because it feels so contrieved and it’s such a chore.
    Strangely enough, fasting doesn’t feel like a chore – more like giving the body a bit of downtime and rest and relax.

Lolly, you can always tell people you’re on the ELF diet. Eat Less Food.

Definitely better than the Goblin diet, K-Lo… (nom, nom, nom)

So, I am proud of myself today. I committed to a 90-day thing with a group here, and it began today. It may not sound like much to some people but for me a commitment to walk 30 minutes a day is huge. I didn’t do it all at once, and I wasn’t breaking any speed barriers but I did complete the task and will do it again tomorrow.

I dislike physical activity. I hope, at least, after 90 days to see it as more of a regular habit. We shall see. I accept that it’s good for me, and that’s the most enthusiasm I can muster at the moment! I’d like my attitude to improve and I’m glad I had others to commit to in this challenge.

I agree with you, Austrian about fasting not feeling like a chore — so far, I’m actually enjoying the fast days. It feels like I’m achieving something in a time frame I can grasp rather than a diet stretching so far out ahead that it’s depressingly endless. I don’t object to my brain being tricked for a good cause!

Or the Sea Food Diet (see food and eat it).

90 days – that’s quite a long-term commitment, well done!
    Do you all walk together or do you just meet up weekly to compare notes?

As to lack of enthusism now – don’t worry, as the habi forms there’s a good chance you’ll get so used to it that your day will feel incomplete and slightly less happy without your daily dose of physical activity. Pre-baby, I took up workout classes and after two years just got really antsy and unhappy if I did fewer than three classes a week.

As a member of the Pram Pushing Community I can also tell you that the long daily walks with Little Diamond Cutter have actually given me a new sense of connectedness – I see the seasons change, I see more of the people in my community and their daily lives; it’s very nice actually.

If you walk alone, do you have an ipod to listen to music or audiobooks? I’ve found that very helpful.

Fast day again, making this another 4:3 week. I like this rhythm for now. I’m fortunate in not having to take anyone else’s meal needs into consideration — I imagine that is far more difficult to do.

I went food shopping yesterday and what a different story the conveyor belt told this month! Masses of vegetables, nothing but real food, and not a sweet thing in sight. I was able to eliminate entire aisles and was out in record time.

Austrian, the walking commitment I made was in the thread “I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing” — come join us! You can commit to anything you wish. For me, 30 minutes is a huge promise, and I need to break that into several segments. I do hope you’re right about my enthusiasm growing. Perhaps I should borrow a baby just to have a pram to push!

An audio book sounds like a good thought, thank you for the suggestion.

The grocery checkout is very telling. Sometimes I look at what others are buying and wonder what can they be thinking….or NOT thinking. When son#2 was about two years old, I went on Atkins, and stayed very well with it for a long time. One of the ideas that stuck with me was shopping mostly in the outer aisles of the store…where the real food is. Fruit, veggies, meat, fish and dairy. If there are more than three ingredients on the package, put it back. I don’t adhere to those tenets strictly but I do try.

…and great music to walk to is the score from Hamilton (Broadway musical). I keep up quite a brisk pace!

I have always enjoyed a sneaky peek at what others are buying. Once, I saw someone buy a loaf of soft white bread, peanut butter and frozen squid.

Worst. Sandwich. Ever.

My brain is spinning from all the reading I’ve been doing recently but this has been the best investment of time I’ve made in years. I’m excited by the changes in weight loss management put forth by people like Dr. Jason Fung. Fasting makes so much sense that I want to smack myself for seeing the problem but not the solution sooner.

The weight is coming off, and this time I have absolutely no doubt that it will stay off. And what’s even better — I’ll enjoy the journey!

Hi everyone πŸ™‚ Monday again. Here’s to a positive week for us all.

I’m fasting today. Does anyone suffer with sleep problems on this diet? I dont know if its related, but just lately I am not sleeping at all well. It makes things much harder when I’m so tired all the time πŸ™

Good luck with the day xx

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 335 total)

You must be logged in to reply.